返回首页

ShuklaBose_2009I-_一次教一个孩子_

I'm standing in front of you today in all humility , wanting to share with you my journey of the last six years in the field of service and education. 今天我谦恭地 站在这里 希望能与你们分享 我过去六年 在服务 和教育领域的经验
humility:n.谦卑,谦逊; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; in the field of:在…方面,在…领域;
And I'm not a trained academic . 我并不是一个训练有素的学者,
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
Neither am I a veteran social worker . 也不是一个资深的社会工作者。
veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的; social worker:n.社会工作者;
I was 26 years in the corporate world, trying to make organizations profitable . 我进入企业界26年, 努力让组织盈利
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; profitable:adj.有利可图的;赚钱的;有益的;
And then in 2003 然而在2003年
I started Parikrma Humanity Foundation from my kitchen table. 我从我的案桌上 创建了Parikrma人类基金会。
Humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
The first thing that we did was walk through the slums . 我们做的第一件事就是走访贫民区。
slums:n.贫民,[经]贫民区(slum的复数); v.到贫民窟去;
You know, by the way , there are two million people in Bangalore, who live in 800 slums. 大家知道,班加罗尔有两百万人口 居住在800个贫民区里
by the way:顺便说一下;
We couldn't go to all the slums, but we tried to cover as much as we could. 我们不可能走遍所有的贫民区 但是我们还是尽可能地覆盖更多的区域。
We walked through these slums, identified houses where children would never go to school. 我们穿越这些贫民区 找到那些从来不上学的小孩子的家
identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词)
We talked to the parents, tried to convince them about sending their children to school. 我们去和那些父母交谈 尝试说服他们送孩子去上学
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
We played with the children, and came back home really tired, exhausted , but with images of bright faces, twinkling eyes, and went to sleep. 我们和孩子们一起玩耍, 回到家时非常劳累 精疲力尽的时候,眼前浮现的却是 一张张欢快的脸,一双双明亮的眼 然后我们才睡觉
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式) images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) twinkling:n.瞬间;转眼;一眨眼;一刹那;v.闪烁;闪光,发亮;(twinkle的现在分词)
We were all excited to start, but the numbers hit us then: 200 million children between four to 14 that should be going to school, but do not; 100 million children who go to school but cannot read; 125 million who cannot do basic maths . 我们一开始很兴奋地工作 但是马上,这些数字吓到了我们 2亿个从4岁14岁的 孩子 应该去学校但是没有去 1亿个上学的孩子 却不懂地如何阅读 1亿2千5百万个孩子不懂基础数学
maths:数学(课)
We also heard that 250 billion Indian rupees was dedicated for government schooling. 我们还听说2千5百亿印度卢比 被拨用于政府教育,
rupees:n.卢比(rupee复数); dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式)
Ninety percent of it was spent on teachers' salary and administrators' salary. 而其中90%用于支付教师 和管理者的薪水
And yet, India has nearly the highest teacher absenteeism in the world, with one out of four teachers not going to school at all the entire academic year . 然而,印度几乎拥有 世界上最高的 教师缺勤率 每四个教师中会有一个 在整个学年中不去学校
absenteeism:n.旷工;旷课;有计划的怠工;经常无故缺席; academic year:n.学年;
Those numbers were absolutely mind-boggling , overwhelming , and we were constantly asked, "When will you start? How many schools will you start? 很显然,这些数据都是令人震惊 并不胜枚举的,并且我们不断的被质问 “你们什么时候开始?你们要开办多少所学校?
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; mind-boggling:adj.令人难以置信的;令人惊异的; overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
How many children will you get? 你们接受多少孩子?
How are you going to scale ? 你们如何控制规模?
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
How are you going to replicate ?" 你们如何开分校?”
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品;
It was very difficult not to get scared, not to get daunted . 很难不被吓到
daunted:v.使气馁,使畏缩;威吓;
But we dug our heels and said, "We're not in the number game. 但是我们总是坚持 说:“我们不是在玩数字游戏。”
heels:n.高跟鞋(heel的复数);脚踝;残余料;v.紧跟;给(鞋等)装跟(heel的三单形式);
We want to take one child at a time and take the child right through school, sent to college, and get them prepared for better living, a high value job." 我们希望每次接受一个孩子 带领这个孩子度过教育期 送上大学 让他们为更好的生活, 高价值的工作做好准备
So, we started Parikrma. 所以,我们创办了Parikrma
The first Parikrma school started in a slum where there were 70,000 people living below the poverty line . 第一所Parikrma学校 在一个贫民区成立 那里有7万人口 生活在贫困线以下
poverty line:n.贫困线(政府规定维持最低生活水平所需的收入标准);
Our first school was on a rooftop of a building inside the slums, a second story building, the only second story building inside the slums. 我们开始的第一所学校 是在贫民窟里面的一座建筑的屋顶上, 那是一所2层高的建筑,也是贫民区里面 唯一的2层建筑
first school:n.(英国)初级学校(学生为5至8、9岁的儿童); rooftop:n.屋顶;adj.屋顶上的;
And that rooftop did not have any ceiling, only half a tin sheet . 而且那个天台没有 任何天花板,只有半张锡板
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
That was our first school. One hundred sixty-five children. 那是我们的第一所学校,165个孩子。
Indian academic year begins in June. 印度的学年从6月开始。
So, June it rains, so many a times all of us would be huddled under the tin roof, waiting for the rain to stop. 而6月经常下雨,很多时候 我们所有人就拥挤在锡板下面 等待雨停。
huddled:v.挤成一团;胡乱堆积(huddle的过去式及过去分词形式);
My God! What a bonding exercise that was. 天呐,那是怎样的一项团结的活动
And all of us that were under that roof are still here together today. 我们所有人 那时在那个屋檐下,今天依然在一起。
Then came the second school, the third school, the fourth school and a junior college . 然后就是第二所学校, 第三所学校,第四所学校, 以及一个专科学校。
junior college:n.大专;
In six years now, we have four schools, one junior college, 1,100 children coming from 28 slums and four orphanages . 6年以后的现在 我们拥有四所学校,一个专科学校, 1千1百个 来自28个贫民区 和4个孤儿院的孩子
orphanages:n.孤儿院;(orphanage的复数)
(Applause) (掌声)
Our dream is very simple: to send each of these kids, get them prepared to be educated but also to live peacefully , contented in this conflict-ridden chaotic globalized world. 我们梦想非常简单, 就是让每个孩子都能准备好 去生活,去接受教育 同时能平静,知足地生活 在这个充满冲突的 混乱的全球化世界里。
peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地; contented:adj.满足的;心安的;v.使…满足;使…安心(content的过去式和过去分词); chaotic:adj.混沌的;混乱的,无秩序的; globalized:vt.使全球化;
Now, when you talk global you have to talk English. 现在,当大家谈论到全球化 我们不得不讨论英语。
And so all our schools are English medium schools. 所以我们所有的学校 都是英语授课的。
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
But they know there is this myth that children from the slums cannot speak English well. 但是我们知道这里有个荒诞的说法 那些从贫民区出来的孩子 不能流利的说英语。
myth:n.神话;虚构的人,虚构的事;
No one in their family has spoken English. 他们家庭里没有人会说英语。
No one in their generation has spoken English. 他们的同龄人也没有人会说英语。
But how wrong it is. 但这个说法有多荒谬
Girl: I like adventurous books, and some of my favorites are Alfred Hitchcock and [unclear] 视频:女孩:我喜欢探险小说,那是我最喜欢的类型之一 我喜欢阿尔弗莱德·希区柯克和 [不清楚]
adventurous:adj.爱冒险的;大胆的;充满危险的;
and Hardy Boys. 和哈迪男孩。
Hardy:adj.坚强的;勇敢的;能吃苦耐劳的;鲁莽的;n.强壮的人;耐寒植物;方柄凿;
Although they are like in different contexts , one is magical, the other two are like investigation, 这三个很类似,尽管他们 是在不同的背景里 一个像是有魔力的,而其他两个像是侦查
contexts:n.环境,[计]上下文(context复数);
I like those books because they have something special in them. 我喜欢这些书事因为 他们都有一些不同的特质
The vocabulary used in those books and the style of writing. 这些书里面用的词汇 和写作方法,风格。
I mean like once I pick up one book 我指的是,就像有一次我随意挑选了一本书
I cannot put it down until I finish the whole book. 我就爱不释手,直到我读完整本书。
Even if it takes me four and a half hours, or three and half hours to finish my book, I do it. 哪怕读完要花费我四个半小时左右 或者三个半小时左右的时间,我也愿意去读。
Boy: I did good research and I got the information 男孩:我用Google调查,然后我获得了信息
[on the] world's fastest cars. 世界上最快的车
I like Ducati ZZ143, because it is the fastest, the world's fastest bike, and I like Pulsar 220 DTSI because it is India's fastest bike. (Laughter) 我喜欢杜卡迪 ZZ143, 因为它是最快的 世界上最快的自行车。 我还喜欢帕萨特 220 GTSI 因为它是印度最快的自行车
Pulsar:n.脉冲星;
Shukla Bose : Well, that girl that you saw, her father sells flowers on the roadside . 好吧,你们看到的这个女孩, 她的父亲在街头卖花。
Bose:vt.用撞杆叩以听声; n.(Bose)人名; (Bose)博士音响; roadside:n.路边;路旁;adj.路边的;路旁的;
And this little boy has been coming to school for five years. 而这个小男孩已经来坚持5年来上学了。
But isn't it strange that little boys all over the world love fast bikes? (Laughter) 但是,不觉得奇怪吗,全世界的小男孩 都喜欢快的自行车?
He hasn't seen one, he hasn't ridden one, of course, but he has done a lot of research through Google search. 他从来没有见过一辆自行车,当然也从没骑过。 但是他通过Google搜索做了一些研究。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
You know, when we started with our English medium schools we also decided to adopt the best curriculum possible, the ICSE curriculum. 要知道,当我们开始我们的英语授课的学校时 我们也决定要引入 尽可能最好的课程, 就是ICSE(全印度印度中等教育证书)课程
adopt:v.采取;接受;收养;正式通过; curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
And again, there were people who laughed at me and said, "Don't be crazy choosing such a tough curriculum for these students. 又一次,很多人嘲笑我 大家说:“你疯了么 给这些学生选择那么难的课程?
They'll never be able to cope ." 他们永远都不可能掌握。”
cope:v.处理;n.大圆衣;
Not only do our children cope very well, but they excel in it. 不仅我们的孩子掌握的很好, 他们甚至非常优秀。
excel:v.超过;擅长;
You should just come across to see how well our children do. 大家应该过去看看 我们的孩子做得多么好。
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
There is also this myth that parents from the slums are not interested in their children going to school; they'd much rather put them to work. 这里同样有一个假象 从贫民区来的家长们 对于让他们的孩子上学不感兴趣, 他们更情缘让他们去工作。
That's absolute hogwash . 这绝对是废话
hogwash:n.猪食;废话;
All parents all over the world want their children to lead a better life than themselves, but they need to believe that change is possible. 全世界的父母都 希望他们的孩子能拥有比自己更好的生活。 但是他们需要相信的是,改变是存在的。
Video: (Hindi) 视频:(印地语)
SB: We have 80 percent attendance for all our parents-teachers meeting. Shukla Bose:我们在所有的家长会中 有80%的出勤率。
attendance:n.出席;到场;出席人数;
Sometimes it's even 100 percent, much more than many privileged schools. 有时候,甚至是100%, 这比很多贵族学校都要高的多了。
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词)
Fathers have started to attend. 父亲们已经开始出席了。
It's very interesting. When we started our school the parents would give thumbprints in the attendance register . 这是非常有意思的。当我们开办学校的时候 那些家长要在签到表上留下拇指印。
thumbprints:n.拇指指纹;印章;个性特征; register:v.登记;注册;记录;n.登记簿;登记表;注册簿;
Now they have started writing their signature . 而现在,他们开始签名了。
signature:n.署名;签名;信号;
The children have taught them. 孩子们教会了他们。
It's amazing how much children can teach. 孩子们能教多少都是让人惊喜的。
We have, a few months ago, actually late last year, we had a few mothers who came to us and said, "You know, we want to learn how to read and write. 几个月前, 实际上是前年 我们有几个母亲来找我们说: “你知道么,我们想学读写。
Can you teach us?" So, we started an afterschool for our parents, for our mothers. 你能教我们吗?” 于是,我们开始了课外活动 为了那些家长,和那些母亲们。
afterschool:adj.课外的;供课外活动用的;
We had 25 mothers who came regularly after school to study. 我们有25个母亲,她们定期 在课外时间来学习。
regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的
We want to continue with this program and extend it to all our other schools. 我们希望继续这个项目 并将它扩展到我们其他的学校。
extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸;
Ninety-eight percent of our fathers are alcoholics . 孩子的父亲中有98%是酗酒者。
alcoholics:n.酗酒者;醇剂(alcoholic的复数);
So, you can imagine how traumatized and how dysfunctional the houses are where our children come from. 所以,你能想象这些孩子是来自 多么让人崩溃和不正常的家庭。
traumatized:adj.心理受到创伤的;v.使受创伤(traumatize的过去式和过去分词); dysfunctional:机能失调的,功能障碍的;
We have to send the fathers to de-addiction labs and when they come back, most times sober , we have to find a job for them so that they don't regress . 我们不得不送这些父亲去戒瘾所 当他们回来的时候 大部分时间是清醒的,我们得帮他们找份工作 以防止他们酒瘾复发
labs:n.实验室;实验大楼;(lab的复数) sober:adj.冷静的,清醒的;未醉的;v.使严肃;使醒酒,使清醒; regress:vi.逆行,倒退;复归;n.回归;退回;vt.使…倒退;
We have about three fathers who have been trained to cook. 我们有三个父亲接受了烹饪的训练
We have taught them nutrition , hygiene . 我们教他们营养学,卫生学。
nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; hygiene:n.卫生;卫生学;保健法;
We have helped them set up the kitchen and now they are supplying food to all our children. 我们帮助他们建造起厨房 而现在他们正在为我们所有的孩子提供食物
They do a very good job because their children are eating their food, but most importantly this is the first time they have got respect, and they feel that they are doing something worthwhile . 他们干得非常不错是因为 他们的孩子在享用他们的食物, 但是最重要的是,这是他们第一次 获得尊重, 同时他们感觉自己在做有价值的事情。
worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的;
More than 90 percent of our non-teaching staff are all parents and extended families. 我们的非教学的职工中,超过90% 是父母亲和大家庭中的成员。
extended:adj.延长了的;扩展了的;v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;(extend的过去式和过去分词)
We've started many programs just to make sure that the child comes to school. 我们已经开始很多项目了 只是为了确保这些孩子能来上学。
Vocational skill program for the older siblings so the younger ones are not stopped from coming to school. 给年长的哥哥姐姐们的职业技能项目 这样年轻的孩子不必停止上学。
Vocational:adj.职业的,行业的; siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
There is also this myth that children from the slums cannot integrate with mainstream . 来自贫民区的孩子不能融入主流 也是虚构的
integrate:v.成为一体;(使)加入;adj.完全的; mainstream:n.主流;
Take a look at this little girl who was one of the 28 children from all privileged schools, best schools in the country that was selected for the Duke University talent identification program and was sent to IIM Ahmedabad. 来看看这个小女孩 她是所有28个 来自贵族学校的孩子之一, 这个国家里最好的学校 她获得加入了杜克大学的 人才选择项目 最终被送到了印度管理研究所(阿默达巴德)。、
Take a look at:看一看;检查; Duke:n.公爵,(公国的)君主;公爵(种)樱桃; identification:n.鉴定,识别;认同;身份证明;
Video: Girl: Duke IIMA Camp. Whenever we see that IIMA, it was such a pride for us to go to that camp. 视频:女孩:[不清楚] 无论什么时候我们看到 [不清楚] 参加那个营地活动对我们而言都是一种骄傲。
Everybody was very friendly, especially I got a lot of friends. 然后我们去了那里。每个人都非常友好, 尤其是我认识了很多朋友。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
And I felt that my English has improved a lot going there and chatting with friends. 我还感觉到我的英语进步了很多 去那里,和朋友们交谈,和所有的。
improved:adj.改良的:v.改进:改善(improve的过去分词和过去式)
There they met children who are with a different standard and a different mindset , a totally different society. 在那里,我们认识了 有着不同的行为标准的孩子 所有人都有不一样的思维方式,来自完全不一样的社会。
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
I mingled with almost everyone. 我和所有人都熟悉了。
mingled:v.融合,联合(mingle的过去分词形式);
They were very friendly. 他们都非常有好。
I had very good friends there, who are from Delhi , who are from Mumbai. 我在那里认识了非常好的朋友。 有来自德里的,有来自孟买的。
Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名);
Even now we are in touch through Facebook. 哪怕现在我们也通过facebook保持联络。
After this Ahmedabad trip 自从阿默达巴德之旅之后
I've been like a totally different mingling with people and all of those. 我变得完全不一样 和人们交往
mingling:v.(使)与…结合;相交往,混杂其中;(mingle的现在分词)
Before that I feel like I wasn't like this. 在那个之前,我感觉我不喜欢这样的。
I don't even mingle, or start speaking with someone so quickly. 我从不和人交往,或者很快就开始和陌生人交谈。
My accent with English improved a lot. 我的英语口音进步了很多。
accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话;
And I learned football, volleyball, 我学会了足球和排球,
Frisbee , lots of games. 扔飞盘,很多很多运动。
Frisbee:n.(投掷游戏用的)飞盘;
And I wouldn't want to go to Bangalore. Let me stay here. 我不想去班加罗尔。让我留在这吧。
Such beautiful food, 有多么美味的食物。
I enjoyed it. It was so beautiful. 我很喜欢,这里的食物多么美味啊。
I enjoyed eating food like 我喜欢吃东西就像
[unclear] would come and ask me, "Yes ma'am, what you want?" It was so good to hear! [不清楚] 会来并问我, “是的,女士,您想要点什么?” 听到些感觉多么美妙!
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
SB: This girl was working as a maid before she came to school. 这个女孩在来上学之前 是做女佣的。
And today she wants to be a neurologist . 而现在,她想成为一名神经学者。
neurologist:神经学家;神经科专门医师;
Our children are doing brilliantly in sports. 我们的孩子在运动上也发挥出色。
brilliantly:adv.灿烂地;辉煌地;光亮地;
They are really excelling . 他们真的非常优秀。
excelling:n.胜过(优于);
There is an inter-school athletic competition that is held every year in Bangalore, where 5,000 children participate from 140 best schools in the city. 在班加罗尔,有一个校际运动会 每年都会举行 会有5000个孩子参加 他们来自当地140个最好的学校
athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的 competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛; participate:v.参加;参与;
We've got the best school award for three years successively . 我们连续3年获得了最优秀学校奖
successively:adv.相继地;接连着地;
And our children are coming back home with bags full of medals, with lots of admirers and friends. 我们的孩子回家时 都是载誉而归,并获得很多崇拜者和朋友。
admirers:n.钦佩者;赞赏者;追求者;(admirer的复数)
Last year there were a couple of kids from elite schools that came to ask for admissions in our school. 去年,就有一些 来自优秀学校的孩子 找到我们想获得入学资格。
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物; admissions:n.许可;承认;入会费;入场券(admission的复数形式);
We also have our very own dream team . 我们也有自己的梦之队。
dream team:n.梦之队;最佳阵容;最佳组合;
Why is this happening? Why this confidence ? 这些为什么会发生?为什么能有这种自信?
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
Is it the exposure ? We have professors from MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, 这是一种展示吗?我们拥有来自 麻省理工学院,伯克利,斯坦福
exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临;
Indian Institute of Science who come and teach our children lots of scientific formulas , experiments, much beyond the classroom. 印度科学研究所的教授 他们来教我们的孩子很多科学公式 试验,大多是课堂之外的。
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; formulas:n.[数]公式;配方;规则(formula的复数);
Art, music are considered therapy and mediums of expression . 艺术,音乐也在其中 治疗和表达媒介。
therapy:n.治疗,疗法; mediums:n.手段;材料;媒介;环境;女巫(medium的复数形式); expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
We also believe that it's the content that is more important. 我们同样相信 教育的内容更重要。
It is not the infrastructure , not the toilets, not the libraries, but it is what actually happens in this school that is more important. 无关基础设施 不是厕所,不是图书馆 而是在这所学校里真实发生的 这才是更重要的。
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
Creating an environment of learning, of inquiry , of exploration is what is true education. 创造一种学习 探索,研究的环境 这才是真正的教育。
inquiry:n.询问;查询;打听;调查; exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术;
When we started Parikrma we had no idea which direction we were taking. 当我们开始建立Parikrma 我们对于未来的方向毫无头绪
We didn't hire McKinsey to do a business plan. 我们没有聘请麦肯锡来做商业计划
But we know for sure that what we want to do today is take one child at a time, not get bogged with numbers, and actually see the child complete the circle of life, and unleash his total potential . 但是我们确信的是 我们今天想做的是 一次接受一个孩子 而不是局限于数字, 而实际上看着孩子完成 生命的循环 释放他所有的潜力。
bogged:v.(使)陷于泥沼;(使)动弹不得;(bog的过去分词和过去式) unleash:vt.发泄;突然释放;使爆发; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
We do not believe in scale because we believe in quality, and scale and numbers will automatically happen. 我们不追求数量 因为我们主张的是质量 大规模和多数量会自动发生的。
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
We have corporates that have stood behind us, and we are able to, now, open more schools. 我们得到了一些企业的支持 让我们现在能够开办更多的学校
corporates:adj.法人的;共同的,全体的;社团的;
But we began with the idea of one child at a time. 但是我们是以 “一次一个孩子”的想法开始的
This is five-year-old Parusharam. 这是5岁的Parusharam
He was begging by a bus stop a few years ago, got picked up and is now in an orphanage, has been coming to school for the last four and a half months. 他几年前乞讨的时候 经过一个公交车站 被收留,现在在一个孤儿院里, 他已经在过去的4个半月中持续来上学。
He's in kindergarten . 他在幼儿园
kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
He has learned how to speak English. 他已经学会如何讲英语
We have a model by which kids can speak English and understand English in three month's time. 我们现在有个模型,使孩子们可以说英语 并懂得英语 在短短的3个月时间里。
He can tell you stories in English of the thirsty crow , of the crocodile and of the giraffe. 他可以用英语来给你讲 有关于口渴的乌鸦,鳄鱼, 和长颈鹿的故事。
crow:vi.啼叫;报晓;n.[鸟]乌鸦;鸡鸣;撬棍;
And if you ask him what he likes to do he will say, "I like sleeping. 如果你问他喜欢做什么 他会回答:“我喜欢睡觉。
I like eating. I like playing." 我喜欢吃,我喜欢玩。”
And if you ask him what he wants to do, he will say, "I want to horsing ." 如果你问他他想做什么 他会回答:“我想胡闹。”
horsing:v.为…备马;猛推或用力向上举;(horse的现在分词)
Now, "horsing" is going for a horse ride. 这里,“胡闹”就是等着骑马
So, Parusharam comes to my office every day. 所以,Parusharam每天来我的办公室。
He comes for a tummy rub , because he believes that will give me luck. (Laughter) 他来是为了来摸摸我的肚子 因为他相信这样会给我带来好运。
tummy:肚子,胃 rub:n.擦;抹;搓;揉;v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互磨擦;
When I started Parikrma 当我开始建立Parikrma的时候
I began with a great deal of arrogance of transforming the world. 我带着一大堆自负和 改变世界的决心。
a great deal of:大量; arrogance:n.自大;傲慢态度; transforming:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);使改观;(transform的现在分词)
But today I have been transformed . 但是现在,我已经被改变了。
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
I have been changed with my children. 我随着我的孩子们而改变。
I've learned so much from them: love, compassion , imagination and such creativity. 我从他们身上学到了很多 爱,同情心,想象力, 和那种创造力。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
Parusharam is Parikrma with a simple beginning but a long way to go. Parusharam就是parikrma 有个很简单的开始,但是有很长的路要走。
I promise you, Parusharam will speak in the TED conference a few years from now. 我向你保证,Parusharam 会在几年以后在TED研讨会发言。
conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)