返回首页

ShimonSteinberg_2010X-_讨论利用益虫来抑制害虫_

I'm a bug lover , myself -- not from childhood , by the way , but rather late. 我是虫子的爱好者, 不过并不是从小就这样, 是年纪较大以后才开始的。
bug:n.臭虫,小虫;故障;窃听器;v.烦扰,打扰;装窃听器; lover:n.爱好者;情侣;热爱者; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 by the way:顺便说一下;
When I bachelored, majoring in zoology in Tel Aviv University, 在大学时期, 我在特拉维夫大学主修动物学,
zoology:n.动物学;动物区系;
I kind of fell in love with bugs . 我开始对虫子产生兴趣。
bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数)
And then, within zoology, 于是,在动物学系里,
I took the course or the discipline of entomology , the science of insects. 我选修了昆虫学的相关课程, 昆虫科学这门课。
discipline:n.纪律;训练;自制力;风纪;v.训练;管教;惩罚;处罚; entomology:n.昆虫学;
And then I thought, myself, how can I be practical or help in the science of entomology? 当时我想着,我要怎么去运用它 或是我该如何对昆虫科学有所贡献?
practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课;
And then I moved to the world of plant protection -- plant protection from insects, from bad bugs. 接着我开始往保护植物的方向探索 保护植物不被昆虫侵害, 被那些害虫所侵害。
And then within plant protection, 在保护植物这方面,
I came into the discipline of biological pest control which we actually define as the use of living organisms to reduce populations of noxious plant pests. 我开始接触 生物抑制害虫法, 我们对这方法的定义是 利用活着的有机生物 来降低对于植物有害的 那些害虫数量。
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; define:v.定义;使明确;规定; organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体; noxious:adj.有害的;有毒的;败坏道德的;讨厌的;
So it's a whole discipline in plant protection that's aiming at the reduction of chemicals . 在于植物保护上来说, 这种方式的目标是降低化学药剂的使用量。
reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图; chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数)
And biological pest control, by the way, or these good bugs that we are talking about, they've existed in the world for thousands and thousands of years, for a long, long time. 这种生物抑制害虫法, 或是我们所谈的这种益虫, 它们已经存在这世上好几千年了, 已经很久很久了。
But only in the last 120 years people started, or people knew more and more how to exploit , or how to use, this biological control phenomenon , or in fact, natural control phenomenon , to their own needs. 但是直到近120年来 人们才逐渐开始知道, 如何去开发、利用它们, 以及如何去使用这种生物抑制害虫法, 或者该说,自然抑制法, 来达到人们的目的。
exploit:v.利用…为自己谋利;剥削;压榨;运用;发挥; phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
Because biological control phenomenon, you can see it in your backyard . 因为生物抑制害虫法 它就存在于你的后院里面。
backyard:n.后院;后庭;
Just take a magnifying glass . You see what I have here? 只要拿个放大镜。你看我拿的这个是什么?
magnifying glass:n.放大镜;
That's a magnifier times 10. 这是一个十倍的放大镜。
magnifier:n.[光]放大镜;[电子]放大器;
Yeah, times 10. 对,十倍而已。
Just open it. 只用它。
You just twist leaves, and you see a whole new world of minute insects, or little spiders of one millimeter, one and a half, two millimeters long, and you can distinguish between the good ones and the bad ones. 你只要把叶子翻开来,你就会发现一个新世界, 那里有着微小的昆虫, 长度只有1毫米,1.5毫米 或是2毫米大小的蜘蛛, 你可以去分辨益虫和害虫。
twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓; spiders:n.蜘蛛(spider的复数) millimeters:n.毫米;(millimeter的复数) distinguish:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别;
So this phenomenon of natural control exists literally everywhere. 所以这种自然的抑制方式 确实在每个地方存在着。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
Here, in front of this building, I'm sure. 我敢肯定这栋建筑物的前面就有。
Just have a look at the plants. 看看这些植物。
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
So it's everywhere, and we need to know how to exploit it. 到处都是昆虫, 我们需要知道怎么去发现它。
Well let us go hand by hand and browse through just a few examples. 好,让我们一样样来看, 看看后面这些例子。
browse:v.浏览;吃草;n.浏览;吃草;
What is a pest? 什么是害虫?
What damage [does] it actually inflict on the plant? 它会对植物产生什么样的害处?
inflict:vt.造成;使遭受(损伤,痛苦等);给予(打击等);
And what is the natural enemy, the biologically controlled agent , or the good bug, that we are talking about? 还有它的天敌是什么呢? 生物抑制害虫的媒介, 或是我们所提到的益虫?
biologically:adv.生物学上,生物学地; agent:n.代理人,代理商;药剂;特工;v由…作中介;由…代理;adj.代理的;
In general , I'm going to talk about insects and spiders, or mites , let us call them. 大致上来说,我要谈的 是昆虫和蜘蛛, 或是螨,我们这样称呼它好了。
In general:总之,通常;一般而言; mites:n.螨虫类(mite的复数);
Insects, those six-legged organisms and spiders or mites, the eight-legged organisms. 昆虫 -- 是那些有六只脚的有机生物, 而蜘蛛或螨, 它们是八只脚的有机生物。
Let's have a look at that. 我们看看这个。
Here is a pest, devastating pest, a spider mite, because it does a lot of webbing like a spider. 这是一只害虫,会搞破坏的害虫,一只蜘蛛螨, 因为它像蜘蛛一样会产生许多网状的东西。
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
You see the mother in between and two daughters, probably on the left and right, and a single egg on the right-hand side. 你看中间的那只是妈妈 还有左右两边那大概是两个女儿, 右手边还有一个蛋。
right-hand:adj.得力的;右手的,用右手的;
And then you see what kind of damage it can inflict. 接下来你可以知道它所造成的损害是什么。
On your right-hand side you can see a cucumber leaf, and on the middle, cotton leaf, and on the left a tomato leaf with these little stipplings. 右手边你可以看见黄瓜的叶子, 中间是棉花的叶子, 左边是蕃茄的叶子连着一些小叶子
cucumber:n.黄瓜;胡瓜;
They can literally turn from green to white because of the sucking , piercing mouthparts of those spiders. 这些蜘蛛利用尖嘴刺穿叶子, 吸食汁液之后, 让这些叶子 由绿色转变成白色。
sucking:adj.吮吸的;没有断奶的;v.吮吸;吸;咂;抽取;(suck的现在分词) piercing:adj.刺穿的; n.熔化穿孔; v.刺穿; mouthparts:n.昆虫等的口器;
But here comes nature that provides us with a good spider. 但接下来的是大自然 提供我们的益虫蜘蛛。
This is a predatory mite -- just as small as a spider mite, by the way, one millimeter, two millimeters long, not more than that, running quickly, hunting, chasing the spider mites. 这是一只掠食性螨-- 和蜘蛛螨一样小, 1毫米到2毫米左右的长度, 跑得很快,能猎食, 追逐着蜘蛛螨。
predatory:adj.掠夺的,掠夺成性的;食肉的;捕食生物的;
And here you can see this lady in action on your left-hand side -- just pierces , sucks the body fluids on the left-hand side of the pest mite. 你可以看见左手边这位女士 正在用餐 -- 刺穿过左边那只蜘蛛螨的身体, 吸食着它的体液。
left-hand:adj.左手的;左侧的; pierces:v.刺破;穿过;透入;突破;(pierce的第三人称单数) sucks:v.吮吸;吸;咂;啜;抽吸;抽取;(suck的第三人称单数) fluids:n.液体;流体;液;(fluid的复数)
And after five minutes, this is what you see: just a typical dead corpse , shriveled , sucked-out, dead corpse of the spider mite, and next to it, two satiated individuals of predatory mites, a mother on the left-hand side, a young nymph on the right-hand side. 大概五分钟过后,结果如你所见, 只剩下一具典型的尸体 -- 充满皱折,已经被吸干的 蜘蛛螨的尸体, 在旁边的,则是两只 吃饱喝足的掠食螨, 左手边的是妈妈, 右手边的是一个小姑娘。
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; corpse:n.尸体; shriveled:adj.枯萎的;v.(使)枯萎;(使)皱缩;(使)无能为力(shrivel的过去式); satiated:adj.对...厌倦的;充分满足的;生腻的; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
By the way, a meal for them for 24 hours is about five individuals of the spider mites, of the bad mites, or 15 to 20 eggs of the pest mites. 对了,对它们来说, 一天24小时的食物, 大概是5只蜘蛛螨,或是那些害虫螨, 或是15到20只 害虫螨的蛋。
By the way, they are hungry always. 换句话说,它们一直都很饿。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And there is another example: aphids . 这是另一个例子:蚜虫。
aphids:n.蚜虫类(aphid的复数);
By the way, it's springtime now in Israel . 对了,现在在以色列正值春天,
springtime:n.春天;春季;初期; Israel:n.以色列(亚洲国家);犹太人,以色列人;
When temperature rises sharply , you can see those bad ones, those aphids, all over the plants, in your hibiscus , in your lantana , in the young, fresh foliage of the spring flush , so-called . 温度正快速在上升。 你可以看见那些有害的蚜虫,在植物上到处都是, 在山芙蓉上,在马缨丹上, 在那些被称为春芽的 刚长出来的嫩叶上。
sharply:adv.急剧地;锐利地; hibiscus:n.木槿;芙蓉花; lantana:n.马樱丹属; foliage:n.植物;叶子(总称); flush:n.激动,洋溢; v.使齐平; adj.大量的; so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的;
By the way, with aphids you have only females, like Amazons . 对了,那些蚜虫,只有母蚜虫 就像亚马逊一族一样。
Amazons:n.亚马逊人;奴役现象;亚马逊鹦鹉;亚马逊女战士(Amazon的复数);
Females giving rise to females giving rise to other females. 母的生母的,然后再生出母的。
No males at all. 完全没有公的。
Parthenogenesis , [as it] was so called. 这被称为单性生殖。
Parthenogenesis:n.[植]单性生殖,[胚]孤雌生殖;
And they are very happy with that, apparently . 看起来它们对此还挺开心的。
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
Here we can see the damage. 接下来我们可以看见它所造成的伤害。
Those aphids secrete some sticky , sugary liquid called honeydew , and this just globs the upper parts of the plant. 这些蚜虫会分泌 一些黏稠的,甜甜的液体, 称作为蜜汁。 这些会在植物的上面 形成小水珠的形状。
secrete:v.分泌;隐藏,藏匿(小物件); sticky:adj.粘的;粘性的; sugary:adj.含糖的;甜的;糖状的;甜言蜜语的; honeydew:n.蜜露;蜜汁;甘汁; globs:n.一滴;水珠;一团; upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂;
Here you see a typical cucumber leaf that turned actually from green to black because of a black fungus , sooty mold , which is covering it. 你可以看见典型的黄瓜叶子 因为覆盖在上面的黑色真菌 以及乌黑的霉菌 让它从绿色变成了黑色。
fungus:n.真菌,霉菌;菌类; sooty:adj.乌黑的;煤烟熏黑的;vt.用煤灰覆盖;用煤烟弄脏; mold:n.模具;模型;霉菌;类型;v.用可塑材料塑成;浇铸;发霉;
And here comes the salvation through this parasitic wasp . 接下来拯救者上场了, 就是这个寄生的胡蜂。
salvation:n.拯救;救助; parasitic:adj.寄生的(等于parasitical); wasp:n.黄蜂;[昆]胡蜂;易怒的人;vi.黄蜂似的直扑;
Here we are not talking about a predator. 这儿我们说的不是掠食者。
Here we are talking a parasite -- not a two-legged parasite, but an eight-legged parasite, of course. 我们说的是寄生者, 并不是两只脚的寄生者, 而是六只脚的寄生者。
parasite:n.寄生虫;食客; two-legged:有两条腿的;
This is a parasitic wasp, again, two millimeters long, slender , a very quick and sharp flier . 这是寄生胡蜂, 大概2毫米长,相当纤细, 它是一种行动迅速 相当机警的飞行者。
slender:adj.细长的;苗条的;微薄的; flier:n.飞行员;飞机乘客;小广告;
And here you can see this parasite in action, like in an acrobatic maneuver . 这边你可以看见寄生的过程, 就像是在做特技表演一样。
acrobatic:adj.杂技的;特技的; maneuver:n.演习;调动;巧计;花招;v.演习;
She stands vis-a-vis in front of the victim at the right-hand side, bending its abdomen and inserting a single egg, a single egg into the body fluids of the aphid. 它正面对面 从右手边直接挡在对手的面前, 弯起它的腹部 将一个蛋放进宿主体内, 一个蛋进入了 蚜虫的体液之中。
vis-a-vis:n.面对面的人; prep.关于; v.相向着; victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; abdomen:n.腹部;下腹;腹腔;
By the way, the aphid tries to escape. 对了,这只蚜虫试图要逃脱。
She kicks and bites and secretes different liquids, but nothing will happen, in fact. 它乱踢乱咬, 分泌不同的液体, 不过结果都没有用。
secretes:vt.藏匿;私下侵吞;分泌;
Only the egg of the parasite will be inserted into the body fluids of the aphid. 寄生者只会放一个蛋 在蚜虫的体液之中。
And after a few days, depending upon temperature, the egg will hatch and the larva of this parasite will eat the aphid from the inside. 过了几天之后,依据温度状况, 蛋就会孵化出来, 寄生者的幼虫 会从内部将蚜虫吃掉。
hatch:n.孵化;舱口;v.孵;策划;孵化; larva:n.[水产]幼体,[昆]幼虫;
This is all natural. This is all natural. 这一切都是自然的现象。
This is not fiction, nothing at all. 这可不是小说里幻想的内容。
Again, in your backyard, in your backyard. 还有,就在你的后院里, 在你的后院里也会发生。
But this is the end result . 这就是最后的结果。
end result:n.最终结果;
This is the end result: 这就是最后的结果:
Mummies -- 木乃伊 --
Mummies:木乃伊(mummy的名词复数);
M-U-M-M-Y. 木 - 乃 - 伊。
This is the visual result of a dead aphid encompassing inside, in fact, a developing parasitoid that after a few minutes you see halfway out. 这是蚜虫死亡后的外观。 我们看看里面。 事实上,寄生者成长的过程中 几分钟后你就会看见它几乎跑出来了。
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; encompassing:adj.包含的;包容的,环绕;v.围绕,包围(encompass的ing形式); parasitoid:n.拟寄生物;adj.拟寄生的;
The birth is almost complete. 它已经几乎变成成虫了。
You can see, by the way, in different movies, etc., it takes just a few minutes. 你可以在完整的纪录片中看见这个。 这只不过是几分钟的事情。
And if this is a female , she'll immediately mate with a male and off she goes because time is very short. 如果这只是雌锋,它会立即和雄蜂交配, 之后就会立刻离开,因为它们生命太短。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
This female can live only three to four days, and she needs to give rise to around 400 eggs. 雌蜂只能存活三到四天的时间, 它必须生出 大约4百个蛋。
give rise to:使发生,引起;
That means she has 400 bad aphids to put her eggs into their body fluids. 意思是说,它必须找到400只 有害的蚜虫 将蛋放进它们的体液中。
And this is of course not the end of it. 这还没完。
There is a whole wealth of other natural enemies and this is just the last example. 还有许多其他的天敌, 这只是最后的一个例子。
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
Again, we'll start first with the pest: the thrips . 我们再回头来看看这个害虫: 牧草虫。
thrips:n.牧草虫;
By the way, all these weird names -- 对了,关于这些奇怪的名字 --
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
I didn't bother you with the Latin names of these creatures , okay, just the popular names. 我们这边不谈正式的学名, 嗯,这些只是俗称而已。
bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼; Latin:adj.拉丁语的;用拉丁语写成的;n.拉丁语; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
But this is a nice, slender, very bad pest. 这是一种很细小,很苗条, 很可怕的害虫。
If you can see this, sweet peppers . 看看这个甜椒。
peppers:n.[植]胡椒; v.加胡椒粉于…; (pepper的第三人称单数);
This is not just an exotic , ornamental sweet pepper . 这可不是外国品种,也不是装饰用的甜椒,
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的; ornamental:adj.装饰的,装饰性的;n.观赏植物;装饰品; sweet pepper:n.甜椒;柿子椒;灯笼椒;
This is a sweet pepper which is not consumable because it is suffering from a viral disease transmitted by those thrip adults. 这是一个已经不能吃的甜椒, 因为它被那些牧草虫所带的 滤过性病毒所感染了。
consumable:n.消费品;消耗品;adj.可消耗的;可消费的; viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; transmitted:v.传送;输送;发射;播送;传播;传染;(transmit的过去分词和过去式)
And here comes the natural enemy, minute pirate bug, "minute" because it is rather small. 接下来,天敌登场了, 微小的掠食虫, 说微小是因为它真的很小。
pirate:n.海盗;盗版;侵犯专利权者;v.掠夺;翻印;剽窃;
Here you can see the adult, black, and two young ones. 你可以看见那只黑色的成虫,还有两只幼虫。
And again, in action. 接下来又到了行动时间。
This adult pierces the thrips, sucking it within just several minutes, just going to the other prey , continuing all over the place. 成虫刺穿了牧草虫, 只花了几分钟的时间去吸食它, 然后就换另一个目标下手, 随处持续着吸食。
prey:n.猎物;受害者;受骗者;v.折磨;掠夺;捕食(on,upon);损害(on,upon);
And if we spread those minute pirate bugs, the good ones, for example, in a sweet pepper plot , they go to the flowers. 如果我们散布这种微小的掠食虫,那种益虫, 例如在种植甜椒的菜园里, 它们会躲藏在花朵中。
plot:n.情节;阴谋;布局;小块土地;v.密谋;暗中策划;(在地图上)标出;绘制(图表);
And look, this flower is flooded with predatory bugs, with the good ones after wiping out the bad ones, the thrips. 看这里,当那些掠食性的益虫 将那些害虫牧草虫都清理干净后, 花朵里挤满了这些益虫。
So this is a very positive situation, by the way. 所以这是相当正面的情况。
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
No harm to the developing fruit. No harm to the fruit set. 对成长中的果实不会有害处,对成熟的果实也没有害处。
Everything is just fine under these circumstances . 在这种情况下,一切都很美好。
Everything is just fine:万事大吉;圆满解决问题; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
But again, the question is, here you saw them on a one-to-one basis -- the pest, the natural enemy. 不过问题是, 你可以发现这是一种一物克一物的现象-- 害虫和它的天敌。
one-to-one:adj.一对一的;一一对应的;
What we do is actually this. 而我们正在做这件事。
In Northeast Israel, in Kibbutz Sde Eliyahu, there is a facility that mass-produces those natural enemies. 在以色列的东北方, 在Sde Eliyahu的集体农场里, 有一个机构 正在量产那些天敌。
Northeast:adj.东北的;来自东北的;n.东北;adv.向东北;来自东北; Kibbutz:n.基布兹(以色列的集体农场); facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
In other words, what we do there, we amplify , we amplify the natural control, or the biological control phenomenon. 换句话说,我们在那儿所做的 就是去放大, 我们去放大自然抑制的效果, 或该说是生物抑制的机制。
amplify:vt.放大,扩大;增强;详述;vi.详述;
And in 30,000 square meters of state-of-the-art greenhouses , there, we are mass-producing those predatory mites, those minute pirate bugs, those parasitic wasps , etc., etc. 在三万五千平方尺的 新型温室之中, 我们正在量产那些掠食性的螨, 那些微小的掠食性的虫, 那些寄生的胡蜂 ... 等等。
state-of-the-art:adj.最先进的;已经发展的;达到最高水准的; greenhouses:n.温室(greenhouse的复数); mass-producing:vt.大量生产; wasps:n.[昆]黄蜂;[昆]胡蜂(wasp的复数形式);马蜂;
Many different parts. 分成许多不同的区域。
By the way, they have a very nice landscape -- you see the Jordanian Mountains on the one hand and the Jordan Valley on the other hand , and a good, mild winter and a nice, hot summer, which is an excellent condition to mass-produce those creatures. 对了,那儿有很棒的风景。 一边有约旦山脉, 另一边有约旦溪谷, 还有很棒,很温和的冬天, 以及很赞,很热的夏天, 对于量产这些生物来说, 这些都是极佳的条件。
landscape:n.景观;乡村风景画;(文件的)横向打印格式;v.对…做景观美化;美化…的环境; on the one hand:一方面; on the other hand:另一方面; mild:adj.温和的; n.(英国的一种)淡味麦芽啤酒; mass-produce:vt.大量生产;
And by the way, mass-production -- it is not genetic manipulation . 对了,这边说的量产, 并不是基因改造工程。
genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; manipulation:n.操作;管理措施;处理;操纵证券市场;变换;
There are no GMOs -- 没有转基因生物
Genetically Modified Organisms -- whatsoever . genetically modified organisms ( 生物基因改造)这种事。
Genetically Modified:adj.(植物等)遗传修饰的; whatsoever:pron.无论什么;
We take them from nature, and the only thing that we do, we give them the optimal conditions, under the greenhouses or in the climate rooms, in order to proliferate , multiply and reproduce . 我们从自然界把益虫找来, 我们只做一??件事, 我们提供最佳的条件, 在温室之中,或是在恒温室里, 使得这些益虫能够 快速地大量繁殖。
optimal:adj.最佳的;最理想的; proliferate:vi.增殖;扩散;激增;vt.使激增; multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的; reproduce:v.繁殖;复制;再现;生育;
And that's what we get, in fact. 事实上,这也正是我们所得到的结果。
You see under a microscope . 从显微镜下你可以看见,
microscope:n.显微镜;
You see in the upper left corner, you see a single predatory mite. 在左上角有单只的掠食性螨。
And this is the whole bunch of predatory mites. 我们这是在量产那种掠食性螨。
bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶;
You see this ampoule . You see this one. 看看这个小瓶子。
ampoule:n.[药]安瓿(等于ampul);
I have one gram of those predatory mites. 这儿有一克的掠食性螨。
One gram's 80,000 individuals, 80,000 individuals are good enough to control one acre, 4,000 square meters, of a strawberry plot against spider mites for the whole season of almost one year. 一克里有八万只, 八万只螨 已经足以 在一英亩,也就是四千平方尺 的草莓田中, 在一整年的采收季节里, 去解决那些蜘蛛螨。
strawberry:n.草莓
And we can produce from this, believe you me, several dozens of kilograms on an annual basis. 而藉由这个, 我们每年可以生产出 几十公斤的数量。
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的;
So this is what I call amplification of the phenomenon. 这就是我说的 去放大这种自然机制。
amplification:n.[电子]放大(率);扩大;详述;
And no, we do not disrupt the balance. 我们并不是在破坏生态平衡。
disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的;
On the contrary , because we bring it to every cultural plot where the balance was already disrupted by the chemicals. 相反的, 我们将这些益虫导入到那些 已经被化学药剂 破坏生态平衡的农田,
On the contrary:正相反; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; disrupted:破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱(disrupt的过去分词形式);
Here we come with those natural enemies in order to reverse a little bit of the wheel and to bring more natural balance to the agricultural plot by reducing those chemicals. 我们使用了这些天敌 以期能够将情况反转过来, 藉由降低化学药剂的使用 让农田能够达到更高的自然平衡。
reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的; wheel:车轮,转动 agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的;
That's the whole idea. 这就是我们的概念。
And what is the impact ? 然而,成效如何呢?
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
In this table, you can actually see what is an impact of a successful biological control by good bugs. 藉由这个表,你可以确切的看见, 藉由使用益虫成功进行生物抑制 所获得的成效。
For example, in Israel, where we employ more than 1,000 hectares -- 10,000 dunams in Israeli terms -- of biological pest controlling sweet pepper under protection, 75 percent of the pesticides were actually reduced. 例如,在以色列, 我们在那儿 进行生物抑制害虫, 来保护甜椒园, 已经超过了一千公顷 -- 用以色列的单位是一万杜纳亩, 已经确实让农药的使用量 减少了75%。
employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用; hectares:n.公顷(hectare的复数); Israeli:adj.以色列的;以色列人的;n.以色列人; pesticides:n.[农药]农药;[农药]杀虫剂(pesticide的复数);
And Israeli strawberries , even more -- 80 percent of the pesticides, especially those aimed against pest mites in strawberries. 而以色列的草莓园所使用的农药 -- 则甚至减少了80%, 尤其是那些针对草莓上有害螨的农药。
strawberries:n.草莓;(strawberry的复数) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
So the impact is very strong. 所以效果是相当可观的。
And there goes the question, especially if you ask growers , agriculturists : 接下来的一些问题, 尤其是当你问那些耕种者,农民们:
growers:雏; agriculturists:n.农业家;[农]农场工作者;
Why biological control? 为什么会选择生物抑制法?
Why good bugs? 为什么选择益虫?
By the way, the number of answers you get equals the number of people you ask. 不过,不管你问了几个人, 每个人都会给你不一样的答案。
But if we go, for example, to this place, 比方说这个地方,
Southeast Israel, the Arava area above the Great Rift Valley , where the really top-notch -- the pearl of the Israeli agriculture is located , especially under greenhouse conditions, or under screenhouse conditions -- if you drive all the way to Eilat, you see this just in the middle of the desert. 以色列的东南方, 大裂谷上面一点的阿拉瓦区域, 那儿有着 -- 以色列最顶尖的 农业之宝, 尤其是在温室条件之下,在透明的房间中-- 如果你开车到Eilat埃拉特的话, 你会发现它位于沙漠的中央。
Southeast:adj.东南的;来自东南的;n.东南;东南地区;adv.来自东南; Rift Valley:n.地堑;裂谷; top-notch:adj.一流的;拔尖的; pearl:n.珍珠; v.使成小圆粒; adj.珍珠(制)的; located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式)
And if you zoom in, you can definitely watch this, grandparents with their grandchildren, distributing the natural enemies, the good bugs, instead of wearing special clothes and gas masks and applying chemicals. 如果你仔细去看, 你一定可以看见, 爷爷奶奶带着孙子们 正在散布这些天敌,那些益虫, 而不是穿戴着特殊衣物和防毒面具 去喷洒着化学药剂。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; distributing:v.分发;分配;分销;使散开;使分布;分散;(distribute的现在分词) applying:v.申请,请求;使用;应用;(apply的现在分词)
So safety, with respect to the application , this is the number one answer that we get from growers, why biological control. 这种技术的使用是相当安全的, 这是我们询问耕种者们为什么要用生物抑制法 所获得答案中的第一名。
with respect:怀有敬意; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
Number two, many growers are in fact petrified from the idea of resistance , that the pests will become resistant to the chemicals, just in our case that bacteria becomes resistant to antibiotics . 而第二名的答案, 许多耕种者会担心 抗药性的问题, 担心这些害虫 会逐渐对农药产生抵抗力, 就像是白喉的病菌 对抗生素产生了抗体。
petrified:adj.非常害怕; v.使吓呆; (petrify的过去分词和过去式) resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力; resistant:adj.抵抗的,反抗的;顽固的;n.抵抗者; bacteria:n.[微]细菌; antibiotics:n.抗菌素;抗生素(如青霉素);(antibiotic的复数)
It's the same, and it can happen very quickly. 同样的,这可能很快就会发生了。
Fortunately , in either biological control or even natural control, resistance is extremely rare. 所幸,不论是生物抑制法, 或是自然抑制法, 都很难会遇到抵抗的力量。
Fortunately:adv.幸运地; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
It hardly happens. 这几乎不可能发生。
Because this is evolution , this is the natural ratio , unlike resistance, which happens in the case of chemicals. 因为这是一种物种演化; 这是一种自然的机率, 不像是生物本身 会对药剂产生抵抗力。
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进; ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
And thirdly, public demand. 第三名的答案是,公众的需求。
Public demand -- the more the public demands the reduction of chemicals, the more growers become aware of the fact they should, wherever they can and wherever possible, replace the chemical control with biological control. 大众逐渐倾向于去支持 降低化学药剂的使用量, 越来越多的耕种者发现到 他们应该竭尽所能, 改以生物抑制法 来取代化学药剂抑制法。
Even here, there is another grower, you see, very interested in the bugs, the bad ones and the good ones, wearing this magnifier already on her head, just walking safely in her crop. 甚至像是这个,另一名耕种者, 她对这些小虫很有兴趣, 不论是害虫或是益虫, 手上拿着一个放大镜, 在农作物里面 安全地穿梭着。
Finally , I want to get actually to my vision , or in fact, to my dream. 最后,我想谈谈我的看法, 或该说,是我的梦想。
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
Because, you see, this is the reality. 因为你知道吗,这就是现实状况。
Have a look at the gap . 看看这个落差。
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
If we take the overall turnover of the biocontrol industry worldwide , it's 250 million dollars. 如果我们计算 全世界生物抑制法的花费, 大约是二亿五千万美金。
overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的; turnover:n.翻覆;[贸易]营业额;流通量;半圆卷饼;失误;adj.翻过来的;可翻转的; worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
And look at the overall pesticide industry in all the crops throughout the world. 看看全世界在农作物上 使用的农药花费。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
I think it's times 100 or something like that. 我想大概会是一百倍左右吧。
Twenty-five billion. 大约二百五十亿美金。
So there is a huge gap to bridge. 所以这有着很大的落差需要去填补。
So actually, how can we do it? 所以事实上,我们该怎么做?
How can we bridge, or let's say, narrow , this gap in the course of the years? 我们要怎么去填补,或者说让这个落差 在每一年的生产中逐渐减小?
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; in the course of:在…过程中;在…期间;
First of all , we need to find more robust , good and reliable biological solutions, more good bugs that we can either mass-produce or actually conserve in the field. 首先,我们需要更多健康的, 有益的,可以信赖的生物方案, 更多的益虫, 不论是大量繁殖, 或是在田野中保持它的数量。
First of all:adv.首先; robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; reliable:adj.可信赖的;可依靠的;真实可信的;可靠的; conserve:vt.保存;将…做成蜜饯;使守恒;n.果酱;蜜饯;
Secondly, to create even more intensive and strict public demand to reduction of chemicals in the agricultural fresh produce. 第二,促使大众做出 更强烈和更严格的要求 来减少种植新鲜农产品时 使用的化学药剂。
intensive:adj.加强的;集中的;透彻的;加强语气的;n.加强器;
And thirdly, also to increase awareness by the growers to the potential of this industry. 第三,加强耕种者 对于这种产业潜力的了解。
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
And this gap really narrows. 如此,这个落差就会变小。
Step by step , it does narrow. 逐渐地,它就会缩小。
Step by step:adj.按部就班的;
So I think my last slide is: 所以我最后一张投影片是:
All we are saying, we can actually sing it: 我们所说的这些是可以做到的,
Give nature a chance. 请给大自然一个机会。
So I'm saying it on behalf of all the biocontrol petitioners and implementers , in Israel and abroad , really give nature a chance. 我谨代表自然抑制法的 倡导者, 执行者 无论是以色列还是其他国家,在这里呼吁: 给大自然一个机会吧。
on behalf of:代表;为了; petitioners:n.请愿人(petitioner的复数); implementers:n.实施者;制订人;实现器;实作器; abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国;
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)