返回首页

ShigeruBan_2013X-_纸制的应急避难所_

Hi. I am an architect . 大家好!我是一位建筑设计师。
architect:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;
I am the only architect in the world making buildings out of paper like this cardboard tube, and this exhibition is the first one I did using paper tubes. 我是世界上唯一一位以纸为建筑材料的 建筑师,就比如用这样的硬纸管。 这是我第一个用纸管 举办的展览。
cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的;
1986, much, much longer before people started talking about ecological issues and environmental issues, 早在1986年,关于生态和环境问题的 讨论还远远没有开始的时候
ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
I just started testing the paper tube in order to use this as a building structure . 我刚刚开始测试纸筒 以便将其作为一种建筑结构使用
structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
It's very complicated to test the new material for the building, but this is much stronger than I expected, and also it's very easy to waterproof , and also, because it's industrial material, it's also possible to fireproof . 测试新的建筑材料过程很复杂, 但纸管比我想象的要坚实许多, 而且进行防水处理也很容易, 加上纸是工业材料,所以 进行防火处理也是可能的,
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) waterproof:adj.防水的,不透水的;v.使防水;n.防水材料; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; fireproof:adj.防火的;耐火的;vt.使耐火;使防水;
Then I built the temporary structure, 1990. 接着在1990年,我搭建了这个临时的建筑结构。
temporary:adj.暂时的,临时的;n.临时工,临时雇员;
This is the first temporary building made out of paper. 这是第一座纸制的临时性建筑。
There are 330 tubes, diameter 55 [centimeters], there are only 12 tubes with a diameter of 120 centimeters , or four feet, wide. 由330个直径为55厘米的纸筒组成, 只有12个纸筒的直径有120厘米, 或者说四英尺宽。
diameter:n.直径;对径;放大率;放大倍数; centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数);
As you see it in the photo, inside is the toilet. 从照片上可以看到,里面是厕所。
In case you're finished with toilet paper , you can tear off the inside of the wall. (Laughter) 万一卫生纸用完了, 可以从墙上撕点下来。(笑声)
toilet paper:卫生纸,厕纸;
So it's very useful. 所以说它很实用。
Year 2000, there was a big expo in Germany. 2000年,德国举办了一次盛大的世博会。
expo:n.展览会;
I was asked to design the building, because the theme of the expo was environmental issues. 我受邀设计世博会日本馆。 因为环境问题是这次世博会的主题,
So I was chosen to build the pavilion out of paper tubes, recyclable paper. 所以就选定了我来用纸筒建展览馆, (用的是)可反复利用的纸。
pavilion:n.阁;亭子;大帐篷;展示馆;vt.搭帐篷;置…于亭中;笼罩; recyclable:adj.可回收利用的;可再循环的;
My goal of the design is not when it's completed. 我的设计其目标并不在于建成,
My goal was when the building was demolished , because each country makes a lot of pavilions but after half a year, we create a lot of industrial waste, so my building has to be reused or recycled . 我的目标是能把这个建筑拆掉。 因为每个国家都建许多展览馆, 但半年以后,剩下的是一大堆工业废品, 因此,我所建的必须能够再利用或回收利用。
demolished:v.拆毁,拆除(建筑物);推翻(观点或理论);(demolish的过去分词和过去式) pavilions:n.楼阁; v.搭帐篷(pavilion的三单形式); recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的;
After, the building was recycled. 世博会后,这座建筑就被回收利用了。
So that was the goal of my design. 这就是我设计的目标。
Then I was very lucky to win the competition to build the second Pompidou Center in France in the city of Metz. 然后,我很幸运地赢得(建筑设计)比赛 进而取得了在法国梅茨城建造蓬皮杜中心 新馆的机会。
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛;
Because I was so poor, 因为我当时很穷,
I wanted to rent an office in Paris, but I couldn't afford it, so I decided to bring my students to Paris to build our office on top of the Pompidou Center in Paris by ourselves. 本想在巴黎租一个办公室, 却又租不起, 所以我决定带我的学生到巴黎 在蓬皮中心的楼顶搭建我们的办公室 我们自己建。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
So we brought the paper tubes and the wooden joints to complete the 35-meter-long office. 于是我们就带着纸筒和木质连接 建成了这35米长的办公室。
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 joints:n.关节; v.接合,联合; (joint的第三人称单数和复数)
We stayed there for six years without paying any rent. 我们在那里待了六年,不用付任何房租
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
Thank you. I had one big problem. 谢谢。当时我有个不小的问题。
Because we were part of the exhibition, even if my friend wanted to see me, they had to buy a ticket to see me. 因为我们也是展会的一部分, 即便是我的朋友要见我,他们也要买票才能见到我。
That was the problem. 问题就在这儿。
Then I completed the Pompidou Center in Metz. 然后我完成了梅兹蓬皮中心的建造。
It's a very popular museum now, and I created a big monument for the government. 中心现已成为非常受欢迎的博物馆, 我还为政府建造了一个庞大的纪念碑。
monument:n.丰碑;纪念碑(或馆、堂、像等);历史遗迹;有历史价值的建筑;
But then I was very disappointed at my profession as an architect, because we are not helping, we are not working for society, but we are working for privileged people, rich people, government, developers . 但我当时对自己的建筑师职业 却感到很失望, 因为我们并不是在帮助社会,为民众工作, 而是为有权势的人工作, (比如)富人、政府、开发商。
disappointed at:对…失望; profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行; privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数);
They have money and power. 他们有钱有权。
Those are invisible . 财富和权力是无形的。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
So they hire us to visualize their power and money by making monumental architecture . 所以他们就通过雇用我们来建造宏伟的建筑 来彰显他们的权力和财富。
visualize:vt.形象,形象化;想像,设想;vi.显现; monumental:adj.不朽的;纪念碑的;非常的; architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
That is our profession, even historically it's the same, even now we are doing the same. 这就是我们的职业,甚至在历史上也是如此, 直到现在我们还在做着同样的事。
historically:adv.历史上地;从历史观点上说;
So I was very disappointed that we are not working for society, even though there are so many people who lost their houses by natural disasters . 因此我对于我们并不是为社会大众服务而感到非常失落, 即使有这么多的人 因为自然灾害流离失所。
disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数);
But I must say they are no longer natural disasters. 但我必须要说的是罪魁祸首并不是自然灾害。
For example, earthquakes never kill people, but collapse of the buildings kill people. 打个比方,地震从来都不夺人性命, 建筑倒塌才是致死原因。
collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
That's the responsibility of architects . 这是建筑师的责任。
architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数);
Then people need some temporary housing, but there are no architects working there because we are too busy working for privileged people. 人们需要一个临时住房时, 却没有搭建这些临时住房的建筑师 因为我们都忙着为有权势的人工作。
So I thought, even as architects, we can be involved in the reconstruction of temporary housing. 所以,我想,作为建筑师, 我们也可以参与临时住房的重建。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) reconstruction:n.再建,重建;改造;复兴;
We can make it better. 我们可以对其进行改善。
So that is why I started working in disaster areas. 因此我开始在灾难地区工作。
1994, there was a big disaster in Rwanda, Africa. 1994年非洲卢旺达发生了一场大灾难。
Two tribes, Hutu and Tutsi, fought each other. 胡图族和图西族两个部落互相残杀。
Over two million people became refugees . 两百多万人变为难民。
refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数)
But I was so surprised to see the shelter, refugee camp organized by the U.N. 但当我看到由联合国安排的帐篷和难民营时, 我大吃一惊。
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
They're so poor, and they are freezing with blankets during the rainy season, 帐篷都很破旧,雨季期间 批着毛毯也十分的冷,
In the shelters built by the U.N., they were just providing a plastic sheet , and the refugees had to cut the trees, and just like this. 联合国搭建的帐篷中, 只提供了一张塑料垫子, 而难民不得不去砍树,就像这样。
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
But over two million people cut trees. 但两百多万人去砍树,
It just became big, heavy deforestation and an environmental problem. 就演变成了大片的严重的森林采伐 并造成了环境问题。
deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐;
That is why they started providing aluminum pipes, aluminum barracks . 正因如此,联合国就开始提供铝制的管子和棚屋。
aluminum:n.铝; barracks:n.兵营,营房; v.使驻扎军营里; (澳)大声鼓噪(barrack的三单形式);
Very expensive, they throw them out for money, then cutting trees again. 很贵,于是就被当地人拿去换钱了, 然后又砍起树来。
So I proposed my idea to improve the situation using these recycled paper tubes because this is so cheap and also so strong, but my budget is only 50 U.S. dollars per unit. 于是,我提出了利用这些再生纸管 来改善现状的想法 因为纸管便宜又坚实。 但我的预算只有每个(帐篷)50美元。
proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式) improve:v.改进;改善; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
We built 50 units to do that as a monitoring test for the durability and moisture and termites , so on. 我们就搭建了50个用来监控测试 其耐用性,抗湿和防白蚁能力等等。
durability:n.耐久性;坚固;耐用年限; moisture:n.水分;湿度;潮湿;降雨量; termites:n.白蚁;(termite的复数)
And then, year afterward , 1995, in Kobe, Japan, we had a big earthquake. 接着一年后,1995年,日本的神户, 发生了一起大地震。
afterward:adv.以后,后来;
Nearly 7,000 people were killed, and the city like this Nagata district, all the city was burned in a fire after the earthquake. 将近七千人死亡, 而整座城就像这长田区一样, 都在地震后的大火中焚烧着。
And also I found out there's many Vietnamese refugees suffering and gathering at a Catholic church -- all the building was totally destroyed. 我发现有很多越南来的难民 聚集在一个天主教教堂旁边,忍受着痛苦。 整座教堂全部烧毁。
Vietnamese:n.越南人;越南语;adj.越南的;越南人的; Catholic:adj.天主教的;宽宏大量的;n.天主教徒;罗马天主教;
So I went there and also I proposed to the priests , "Why don't we rebuild the church out of paper tubes?" 我就到那里去并向神父提出, “我们何不用纸筒重建教堂呢?”
priests:n.司祭,神父;教士,祭司,僧侣;(priest的复数)
And he said, "Oh God, are you crazy? 他叫道,“哦天哪,你疯了么?
After a fire, what are you proposing ?" 火灾刚过啊,你这是在说什么啊?“
proposing:v.提议;建议;打算;计划;求婚;(propose的现在分词)
So he never trusted me, but I didn't give up. 所以他一直都不信任我,不过我没有放弃。
I started commuting to Kobe, and I met the society of Vietnamese people. 我开始常去神户, 接触了越南人的社区。
commuting:n.乘公交车上下班;经常往来;
They were living like this with very poor plastic sheets in the park. 他们就这样住在一个公园,在破烂的 塑料帐篷中。
sheets:n.床单;被单;薄片,薄板;(sheet的复数)
So I proposed to rebuild. I raised -- did fundraising . 塑料帐篷中。
fundraising:n.筹款;募捐;
I made a paper tube shelter for them, and in order to make it easy to be built by students and also easy to demolish, 我为他们制作了一个纸筒帐篷。 为了方便学生搭建 与拆除,
I used beer crates as a foundation . 我使用啤酒箱作为地基。
crates:n.[包装]板条箱(crate的复数); foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
I asked the Kirin beer company to propose, because at that time, the Asahi beer company made their plastic beer crates red, which doesn't go with the color of the paper tubes. 我请麒麟啤酒公司来提议, 因为当时朝日啤酒 生产的啤酒箱是红色的, 与纸筒的颜色不相称。
Kirin:n.(日)麒麟;麒麟啤酒;
The color coordination is very important. 颜色协调是非常重要的。
coordination:n.协调,调和;对等,同等;
And also I still remember, we were expecting to have a beer inside the plastic beer crate, but it came empty. (Laughter) 我还记得当时我们还期待着塑料 啤酒箱中还有啤酒可以喝, 但送来的啤酒箱是空的。(笑声)
So I remember it was so disappointing . 我记得大家都很失望。
disappointing:adj.令人失望的;v.使失望;使破灭;使落空(disappoint的现在分词)
So during the summer with my students, we built over 50 units of the shelters. 整个夏天我和我的学生, 搭建了50个这样的帐篷。
Finally the priest, finally he trusted me to rebuild. 最后神父终于相信了我,允许我重建教堂。
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
He said, " As long as you collect money by yourself, bring your students to build, you can do it." 他说,“只要你自己集资, 带你的学生来建,就行。”
As long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
So we spent five weeks rebuilding the church. 于是我们花了五个星期的时间重建了这座教堂。
It was meant to stay there for three years, but actually it stayed there 10 years because people loved it. 原先计划这座教堂会在那里保存三年, 但因为人们的厚爱,这座教堂矗立在那里整整十年
Then, in Taiwan, they had a big earthquake, and we proposed to donate this church, so we dismantled them, we sent them over to be built by volunteer people. 然后,台湾发生了一场大地震, 我们提议捐出这座教堂, 于是我们就拆解下纸管, 我们把纸管送去那里由志愿者搭建。
donate:v.赠送;献(血);捐献(器官); dismantled:v.拆开,拆卸;(逐渐)废除,取消;(dismantle的过去分词和过去式) volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
It stayed there in Taiwan as a permanent church even now. 这座教堂就长驻台湾,成为了一个永久教堂直至今日。
permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发;
So this building became a permanent building. 于是这座建筑就变成了一座永久的建筑。
Then I wonder, what is a permanent and what is a temporary building? 而后我就想,什么是永久的,而什么又是临时性的建筑?
Even a building made in paper can be permanent as long as people love it. 即使是一个用纸搭建的建筑, 只要人们喜欢,它就可以变成永恒的。
Even a concrete building can be very temporary if that is made to make money. 即使是一个混凝土建筑,如果它是为了赚钱而建的, 那也可以在瞬间烟消云散。
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖
In 1999, in Turkey, the big earthquake, 1999年,土耳其发生了大地震。
I went there to use the local material to build a shelter. 我去那里利用当地的材料搭建了一个避难所。
2001, in West India, I built also a shelter. 2001年,在西印度,我也搭建了一个避难所。
In 2004, in Sri Lanka, after the Sumatra earthquake and tsunami , I rebuilt Islamic fishermen's villages. 2004年,斯里兰卡发生苏门答腊地震和海啸之后, 我重建了伊斯兰渔民的村庄。
Sumatra:n.[气象]苏门答腊岛(印尼西部的大岛); tsunami:n.海啸; Islamic:adj.穆斯林的;
And in 2008, in Chengdu, Sichuan area in China, nearly 70,000 people were killed, and also especially many of the schools were destroyed because of the corruption between the authority and the contractor . 2008年,中国的成都四川地区, 将近七万人遇难, 特别是很多学校被毁 原因是政府部门与承包商之间的腐败行为。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落; authority:n.权威;权力;当局; contractor:n.承包人;立契约者;
I was asked to rebuild the temporary church. 我受托重建这座临时教堂。
I brought my Japanese students to work with the Chinese students. 我带着我的日本学生与中国学生合作,
In one month, we completed nine classrooms, over 500 square meters. 一个月之内,我们建成了九个教室, 总面积超过500平米。
It's still used, even after the current earthquake in China. 即使在中国最近发生的地震之后,教堂依然在使用中。
In 2009, in Italy, L'Aquila, also they had a big earthquake. 2009年,意大利的拉奎拉也发生大地震。
And this is a very interesting photo: former Prime Minister Berlusconi and Japanese former former former former Prime Minister Mr. Aso -- you know, because we have to change the prime minister ever year. 这是一张很有趣的照片: 前任总理贝卢斯科尼与 日本前前前前任首相麻生先生 大家都知道我们的首相是年年换的。
Prime Minister:n.首相;总理;
And they are very kind, affording my model. 他们都很友善,资助了我的模型。
affording:v.买得起;(有时间)做,能做;承担得起(后果);提供;(afford的现在分词)
I proposed a big rebuilding, a temporary music hall , because L'Aquila is very famous for music and all the concert halls were destroyed, so musicians were moving out. 我提议进行一次大重建,建一个临时的音乐大厅, 因为拉奎拉以音乐著称, 而且所有的音乐会厅都被毁了, 所以音乐家都离开了。
music hall:n.(盛行于19世纪末20世纪初的)歌舞杂耍表演;
So I proposed to the mayor , 所以我就向市长提出,
mayor:n.市长;镇长;
I'd like to rebuild the temporary auditorium . 我希望能重建这个临时音乐厅。
auditorium:n.礼堂,会堂;观众席;
He said, "As long as you bring your money, you can do it." 他说:“只要你自己筹款建,你就可以建。”
And I was very lucky. 我当时很幸运。
Mr. Berlusconi brought G8 summit , and our former prime minister came, so they helped us to collect money, and I got half a million euros from the Japanese government to rebuild this temporary auditorium. 贝卢斯科尼先生组织了八国峰会, 我们曾经的首相也来了, 于是他们帮助我们筹到了资金, 我从日本政府那里获得了五十万欧元 来重建这座临时音乐厅。
summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点; euros:n.欧元;欧洛斯风;带雨东南暴风(euro复数);
Year 2010 in Haiti , there was a big earthquake, but it's impossible to fly over, so I went to Santo Domingo, next-door country, to drive six hours to get to Haiti with the local students in Santo Domingo to build 50 units of shelter out of local paper tubes. 2010年,海地发生大地震, 但是没有直达那里的飞机, 就是我就去了邻国圣多明各, 然后与那里当地的学生 开6个小时的车到达海地 用当地的纸筒搭建了50个避难所。
Haiti:n.海地; next-door:adj.隔壁的;邻家的;adv.邻家;
This is what happened in Japan two years ago, in northern Japan. 这是两年前在日本,日本的北部所是发生的事。
After the earthquake and tsunami, people had to be evacuated in a big room like a gymnasium . 地震和海啸过后, 人们要疏散到一个像体育馆的地方
evacuated:adj.疏散的:v.疏散,转移,撤离:(evacuate的过去式和过去分词形式): gymnasium:n.体育馆;健身房;
But look at this. There's no privacy . 但可以看出,那里丝毫没有隐私。
privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处;
People suffer mentally and physically. 人们身心都在煎熬。
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
So we went there to build partitions with all the student volunteers with paper tubes, just a very simple shelter out of the tube frame and the curtain. 于是我们就去那里建隔板。 所有这些学生志愿者带着纸筒去了, 就是一个很简单用纸管搭成的框架外加窗帘构成的避难所
partitions:v.分开(partition的三单形式);n.[计]划分(partition的复数); volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
However, some of the facility authority doesn't want us to do it, because, they said, simply, it's become more difficult to control them. 可是,设施部门的一些人 不想我们做这件事,因为他们说 这样一来控制这些人就变得更困难。
facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
But it's really necessary to do it. 但是,事实证明立隔板是有必要的。
They don't have enough flat area to build standard government single-story housing like this one. 他们没有足够的平地建设 像这样的普通公用单层住房。
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
Look at this. Even civil government is doing such poor construction of the temporary housing, so dense and so messy because there is no storage, nothing, water is leaking , so I thought, we have to make multi-story building because there's no land and also it's not very comfortable. 看看这个,甚至公民政府的临时性住房 构建也如此简陋。 这样的拥挤、杂乱,没有储藏处,什么都没有,还漏水, 于是我想, 我们必须建多层楼的房子(才能解决) 没有土地(建新房),住着又非常不舒服(的问题)
civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; dense:adj.稠密的;浓厚的;愚钝的; messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的; leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词) multi-story:多层的;
So I proposed to the mayor while I was making partitions. 所以我就边搭建隔板,边向市长提议
Finally I met a very nice mayor in Onagawa village in Miyagi. 最后我在宫城县的女川村遇到一个非常好的 市长。
He asked me to build three-story housing on baseball [fields]. 市长。
I used the shipping container and also the students helped us to make all the building furniture to make them comfortable, within the budget of the government 我利用了海运集装箱 并且,学生们也帮助我们作了 所有的建筑家具, 把一切布置得很舒适 花费也保持在政府预算之内
furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
but also the area of the house is exactly the same, but much more comfortable. 房子的面积一模一样, 但舒适许多。
Many of the people want to stay here forever. 很多人都想永远待在这里。
I was very happy to hear that. 我听了十分高兴。
Now I am working in New Zealand , Christchurch. 现在我在新西兰的克赖斯特彻奇工作
Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛)
About 20 days before the Japanese earthquake happened, also they had a big earthquake, and many Japanese students were also killed, and the most important cathedral of the city, the symbol of Christchurch, was totally destroyed. 在日本发生地震的大概20天前, 他们也经历了一场大地震, 很多日本学生遇难, 这座城市最重要的大教堂, 也是克赖斯特彻奇的标志完全毁灭。
cathedral:n.大教堂; symbol:n.象征;符号;标志;
And I was asked to come to rebuild the temporary cathedral. 我受托来重建临时大教堂
So this is under construction. 现在还在建设中。
And I'd like to keep building monuments that are beloved by people. 我希望能继续创造为人们 所喜爱的有纪念价值的建筑作品。
monuments:n.遗迹;纪念物;不朽的功业;有永久价值的作品(monument的复数形式); beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友;
Thank you very much. 非常感谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢大家。(掌声)
Thank you very much. (Applause) 非常感谢大家。(掌声)