返回首页

SheenaIyengar_2011S-_如何令选择变得更加容易_

Do you know how many choices you make in a typical day? 你知道在日常生活中你平均 每天做多少选择?
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
Do you know how many choices you make in typical week? 你知道你平均每周 做多少选择?
I recently did a survey with over 2,000 Americans, and the average number of choices that the typical American reports making is about 70 in a typical day. 我最近在超过2000美国人中 做了一个调查, 结果显示,一个典型的美国人 平均每天 做70个选择。
recently:adv.最近;新近; survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地;
There was also recently a study done with CEOs in which they followed CEOs around for a whole week. 另外最近还有一个对于CEO们的研究 科学家们在一星期中跟着CEO们
And these scientists simply documented all the various tasks that these CEOs engaged in and how much time they spent engaging in making decisions related to these tasks. 然后记录下他们所参与和完成的 各种不同的活动与任务 和他们做的所有与这些任务有关的 决定所用的时间。
engaged in:从事于;忙于; engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
And they found that the average CEO engaged in about 139 tasks in a week. 科学家们由此发现,每一个CEO平均 每周参与完成大概139个任务。
Each task was made up of many, many, many sub-choices of course. 当然了,每个任务又都是由许多小的选择构成的。
made up of:由…组成,由…构成;
50 percent of their decisions were made in nine minutes or less. 这其中50%的决定 都是他们在九分钟甚至更短的时间内做出的。
Only about 12 percent of the decisions did they make an hour or more of their time. 只有其中百分之十二的决定, 用了他们一小时或更长的时间。
Think about your own choices. 想一想你每天做的选择。
Do you know how many choices make it into your nine minute category versus your one hour category? 你知道它们中多少 是“九分钟抉择” 又有多少是一小时的选择?
category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
How well do you think you're doing at managing those choices? 在管理这些选择上, 你做的如何?
Today I want to talk about one of the biggest modern day choosing problems that we have, which is the choice overload problem. 今天我要讲一讲 现在社会中我们所面对的最严重的选择问题: 选择过多。
overload:vt.超载,超过负荷;n.超载;负荷过多;
I want to talk about the problem and some potential solutions. 我想要讲一讲这些问题 与一些可行的解决办法。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
Now as I talk about this problem, 我现在先将这个问题,
I'm going to have some questions for you and I'm going to want to know your answers. 我要问你们一些问题 然后我希望得到你们的答案。
So when I ask you a question, since I'm blind, only raise your hand if you want to burn off some calories . 所以当我问你们一个问题 由于我看不见, 不要举手除非你只是想消耗一下卡路里。
calories:n.[物]卡路里(热量单位,calorie的复数);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Otherwise, when I ask you a question, and if your answer is yes, 否则,当我问你们一个问题, 如果你的答案是:是,
I'd like you to clap your hands. 我希望你们可以鼓掌。
clap:n.鼓掌;拍手;掌声;拍手声;v.拍手(表示赞许或欣赏);击掌;
So for my first question for you today: 所以,我今天给你们的第一个问题是:
Are you guys ready to hear about the choice overload problem? 对于选择过多这个问题你们准备好听了么?
(Applause) (观众鼓掌)
Thank you. 谢谢
So when I was a graduate student at Stanford University, 当我还是斯坦福大学的一名本科学生时,
I used to go to this very, very upscale grocery store; at least at that time it was truly upscale. 我经常去一个非常高级的杂货店; 至少在当时看来那家店是十分高级的。
upscale:adj.迎合高层次消费者的;质优价高的;vt.升高一级; grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
It was a store called Draeger's. 它的名字是Draeger‘s。
Now this store, it was almost like going to an amusement park . 去那家店,就像是去游乐园一样。
amusement park:n.游乐场;娱乐园;
They had 250 different kinds of mustards and vinegars and over 500 different kinds of fruits and vegetables and more than two dozen different kinds of bottled water -- and this was during a time when we actually used to drink tap water . 他们有250种不同的黄芥末和醋 还有超过500中不同种类的 蔬菜和水果 还有超过24中不同的瓶装水 而那是我们还在喝水龙头里的水的年代。
mustards:n.芥末;芥菜;深黄色;强烈的兴趣; vinegars:n.醋; tap water:n.自来水;
I used to love going to this store, but on one occasion I asked myself, well how come you never buy anything? 我过去十分喜欢去这家店, 但是有一次我问自己, 为什么你从来都不买东西呢?
Here's their olive oil aisle . 这是卖橄榄油的过道。
olive oil:n.橄榄油(用于烹饪和凉拌色拉); aisle:n.通道,走道;侧廊;
They had over 75 different kinds of olive oil, including those that were in a locked case that came from thousand-year-old olive trees. 他们有75种以上不同的橄榄油, 包括那些被锁在盒子里 从4000年的橄榄树上取来的油。
So I one day decided to pay a visit to the manager, and I asked the manager, "Is this model of offering people all this choice really working?" 于是有一天我决定去拜访一下这家店的经理, 我问他, “这个给人们所有选择的模型真的有用么?”
pay a visit to:参观;访问;
And he pointed to the busloads of tourists that would show up everyday, with cameras ready usually. 然后他向我示意了那些每天都会来的 一车一车的 举着相机的游客。
busloads:n.公共汽车运载量;
We decided to do a little experiment, and we picked jam for our experiment. 我们决定做一个小实验, 然后选择了果酱作为试验品。
Here's their jam aisle. 这是卖果酱的走廊。
They had 348 different kinds of jam. 他们有148种不同的果酱。
We set up a little tasting booth right near the entrance of the store. 在店门口的地方 我们摆设了一个小的品尝台。
We there put out six different flavors of jam or 24 different flavors of jam, and we looked at two things: 我们在那儿摆6种 或24种不同味道的果酱, 然后我们观察了两件事:
flavors:n.风味调料(flavor复数);v.添加味道(flavor的三单形式);
First, in which case were people more likely to stop, sample some jam? 第一,人们在哪种情况下 更愿意停下脚步品尝一些果酱?
More people stopped when there were 24, about 60 percent, than when there were six, about 40 percent. 相比较下,大部分,约60%的人,在有24种果酱走廊停了脚步, 而当有6种果酱时 只有40%的人。
The next thing we looked at is in which case were people more likely to buy a jar of jam. 我们观察的另一件事是: 在人们在哪种情况下更愿意 买一罐果酱
Now we see the opposite effect. 这时,我们观察到了相反的结果。
Of the people who stopped when there were 24, only three percent of them actually bought a jar of jam. 在那些在有24种果酱时停下的人们中, 只有3%的人真正买了果酱。
Of the people who stopped when there were six, well now we saw that 30 percent of them actually bought a jar of jam. 而此时,在那些在有6种果酱时停下的人们中, 我们发现有30%的人 买了果酱。
Now if you do the math , people were at least six times more likely to buy a jar of jam if they encountered six than if they encountered 24. 现在如果你算一下的话, 当人们只有六种选择时, 比有24种时 买果酱的倾向上升了至少六倍
you do the math:你自己来算一下; encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式)
Now choosing not to buy a jar of jam is probably good for us -- at least it's good for our waistlines -- but it turns out that this choice overload problem affects us even in very consequential decisions. 选择不买果酱 也许对我们来说是一件好事儿 至少对我们的水桶腰来说, 但是结果证明过度选择甚至在 非常重要的决定上影响我们。
waistlines:n.腰围;腰身部分; consequential:adj.间接的;结果的;重要的;随之发生的;自傲的;
We choose not to choose, even when it goes against our best self-interests . 我们甚至在有悖个人利益的情况下, 宁愿放弃选择。
self-interests:n.私利;利己主义;
So now for the topic of today: financial savings . 所以现在来介绍我们今天的话题:金融理财。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数)
Now I'm going to describe to you a study I did with Gur Huberman, Emir Kamenica, Wei Jang where we looked at the retirement savings decisions of nearly a million Americans from about 650 plans all in the U.S. 现在我要向你们介绍我与Gur Huberman, Emir Kamerica, Wei Jang 一起做的一个关于 近百万美国人在全美650多种 养老金计划中 选择的 研究。
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; Emir:n.埃米尔(穆斯林酋长等的称号); retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活;
And what we looked at was whether the number of fund offerings available in a retirement savings plan, the 401(k) plan, does that affect people's likelihood to save more for tomorrow. 我们研究了 养老金计划, 也就是401(k)雇员福利中 所提供的基金选择数量, 是否影响人们 为未来存款的几率。
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助; offerings:n.供品,供奉祖先神佛的菜等;奉献(物);样片;提供之物(offering的复数形式); likelihood:n.可能性,可能;
And what we found was that indeed there was a correlation . 我们发现, 这之前却是有联系。
correlation:n.[数]相关,关联;相互关系;
So in these plans, we had about 657 plans that ranged from offering people anywhere from two to 59 different fund offerings. 于是在这些计划中,我们选择了657个 从提供2到59种基金 的不同计划。
And what we found was that, the more funds offered, indeed, there was less participation rate. 我们发现, 事实上,提供的基金越多, 参购率就越低。
funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金; participation:n.参与;分享;参股;
So if you look at the extremes , those plans that offered you two funds, participation rates were around in the mid-70s -- still not as high as we want it to be. 所以如果观察一下极端的情况的话, 会发现那些提供给客户两种基金的计划 的参购率在70左右, 仍然没有我们期待中的那么高。
extremes:n.极端不同的感情;极端;极度;极限;(extreme的复数)
In those plans that offered nearly 60 funds, participation rates have now dropped to about the 60th percentile . 那些提供接近60种基金的计划, 参购率降低到了 60多的参购率。
percentile:adj.百分率的;按百等分排列的;n.百分位;
Now it turns out that even if you do choose to participate when there are more choices present, even then, it has negative consequences . 由此看来, 即使是你真的选择参与一个计划, 当那么多计划摆在你面前时, 还是会造成负面的影响。
participate:v.参加;参与; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
So for those people who did choose to participate, the more choices available, the more likely people were to completely avoid stocks or equity funds. 所以对于那些选择参与计划的人来说, 选择越多, 他们越容易选择 完全避开股票或类似的基金。
stocks:n.[金融]股票; v.采购; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值;
The more choices available, the more likely they were to put all their money in pure money market accounts. 选择越多, 越容易造成人们 把钱存进单纯的存钱账户中。
money market:金融市场;
Now neither of these extreme decisions are the kinds of decisions that any of us would recommend for people when you're considering their future financial well-being . 现在,这两种极端选择 没有一种是当考虑到朋友未来的生活时, 我们会推荐给朋友的 好的选择。
recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎; well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
Well, over the past decade, we have observed three main negative consequences to offering people more and more choices. 在过去十年中, 我们观察到了提供人们越来越多的选择 所造成的负面影响
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
They're more likely to delay choosing -- procrastinate even when it goes against their best self-interest. 他们越来越容易推迟选择的过程, 即使这样做会损害到自身的利益。
procrastinate:v.拖延;耽搁;
They're more likely to make worse choices -- worse financial choices, medical choices. 人们更容易做出更差的选择- 更差的理财选择,医疗选择。
They're more likely to choose things that make them less satisfied , even when they do objectively better. 人们更容易选择那些令自己不满意的选项, 即使那些选择也许客观来讲并没有那么差。
satisfied:adj.满意的:满足的:v.使满意:使满足;(satisfy的过去分词和过去式) objectively:adv.客观地;
The main reason for this is because, we might enjoy gazing at those giant walls of mayonnaises, mustards, vinegars, jams, but we can't actually do the math of comparing and contrasting and actually picking from that stunning display . 这是因为, 虽然我们很享受看一排一排 由美乃滋,黄芥末,醋和果酱建成的的高墙, 却不愿意亲自比较 然后在如此庞大的陈列中做出选择。
gazing:v.凝视;注视;盯着;(gaze的现在分词) giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 comparing:v.比较;对比;(compare的现在分词) contrasting:adj.形成鲜明对比的; v.使对比; stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词) display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的;
So what I want to propose to you today are four simple techniques -- techniques that we have tested in one way or another in different research venues -- that you can easily apply in your businesses. 所以今天我想向你们介绍 四种简单的技巧- 它们都是你可以轻松地 运用在生意上, 并且被测试过许多次的 可靠技巧。
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算; techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数) venues:n.场地,场馆(venue复数形式);犯罪现场,发生地点; apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
The first: Cut. 一:精减。
You've heard it said before, but it's never been more true than today, that less is more. 你们以前也许听过, 但这个说法在从前的社会从未像现今一样的适用- “少即是多”
People are always upset when I say, "Cut." 每一次我说“精减 的时候,人们总是会很生气。
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
They're always worried they're going to lose shelf space. 他们担心这样做会导致他们丢失自我空间。
But in fact, what we're seeing more and more is that if you are willing to cut, get rid of those extraneous redundant options , well there's an increase in sales, there's a lowering of costs, there is an improvement of the choosing experience. 但事实上,根据我们所观察到的是 当一个人越是愿意 放弃多余的选择, 使得营业额上升, 价格降低, 越是会改善原则的经历。
extraneous:adj.外来的;没有关联的;来自体外的; redundant:adj.多余的,过剩的;被解雇的,失业的;冗长的,累赘的; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式) improvement:n.改进,改善;
When Proctor & Gamble went from 26 different kinds of Head & Shoulders to 15, they saw an increase in sales by 10 percent. 当保洁公司 将26种不同的海飞丝减至15种时, 销售额上升了百分之十。
Proctor:n.代理人;学监;vt.监督; Gamble:vi.赌博; vt.赌博; n.赌博;
When the Golden Cat Corporation got rid of their 10 worst-selling cat litter products, they saw an increase in profits by 87 percent -- a function of both increase in sales and lowering of costs. 当金猫公司 停止了他们的十种销售量最差的猫粮的销售, 盈利上升了 百分之八十七- 是又能增加销售额 还降低了成本两全其美的好方法。
Corporation:n.法人;(大)公司;法人团体;市政委员会; profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
You know, the average grocery store today offers you 45,000 products. 正如你们所知道的,现在一个普通的杂货店 提供45000种商品给你选择。
The typical Walmart today offers you 100,000 products. 一个典型的沃尔玛为你提供100000种商品。
Walmart:n.沃尔玛(世界连锁零售企业);
But the ninth largest retailer , the ninth biggest retailer in the world today is Aldi, and it offers you only 1,400 products -- one kind of canned tomato sauce. 但是,第九大的零售商 今天世界上第九大的零售商, 是阿尔迪, 而他们只提供给顾客1400种商品- 一种罐装番茄酱。
retailer:n.零售商;传播的人;
Now in the financial savings world, 在这个理财的世界中,
I think one of the best examples that has recently come out on how to best manage the choice offerings has actually been something that David Laibson was heavily involved in designing, which was the program that they have at Harvard . 我认为在关于如何最有效地管理选择中 最好的例子是 David Laibson十分投入的 一个哈佛的项目。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
Every single Harvard employee is now automatically enrolled in a lifecycle fund. 哈佛的每一个教职工 都自动被登记加入 一个生活周期基金中。
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式)
For those people who actually want to choose, they're given 20 funds, not 300 or more funds. 那些愿意自己选择的人, 有20种不同的基金选择, 而不是300种甚至更多。
You know, often, people say, "I don't know how to cut. 你知道,人们很喜欢说, ”我不知道怎么消减
They're all important choices." 这些都是非常重要的选择。”
And the first thing I do is I ask the employees, "Tell me how these choices are different from one another. 所以我做的第一件事是问这些教职工, “告诉我这些选择与其他那些有何不同,
And if your employees can't tell them apart , neither can your consumers ." 如果你的员工们不能分辨它们的不同, 你的顾客肯定也不能。“
tell them apart:把他们区分开; consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数)
Now before we started our session this afternoon, 今天下午在这个活动开始之前,
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
I had a chat with Gary. 我跟Gary聊了一会儿。
And Gary said that he would be willing to offer people in this audience an all-expenses-paid free vacation to the most beautiful road in the world. Gary跟我说他愿意 为今天在场的所有观众提供 一次到这个世界上最美的路的旅行, 并且完全免费。
all-expenses-paid:免费的;
Here's a description of the road. 我希望你们读一下
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型;
And I'd like you to read it. 对这条路的描写。
And now I'll give you a few seconds to read it and then I want you to clap your hands if you're ready to take Gary up on his offer. 现在我给你们几秒钟自己读一下, 如果你愿意接受Gary的提议的话, 就请鼓掌。
(Light clapping) (稀疏的掌声)
Okay. Anybody who's ready to take him up on his offer. 好,有人愿意接受他的提议么?
Is that all? 没有其他人了么?
All right, let me show you some more about this. 好吧,我多给你们看一些有关此事的。
(Laughter) (笑声)
You guys knew there was a trick, didn't you. 你们早就知道这是个诡计了,是吧?
(Honk) (汽车喇叭声)
Now who's ready to go on this trip. 现在,有谁愿意去这次旅行?
(Applause) (观众鼓掌)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I think I might have actually heard more hands. 我以为我会听到更多掌声呢。
All right. 好吧,
Now in fact, you had objectively more information the first time around than the second time around, but I would venture to guess that you felt that it was more real the second time around. 事实上, 客观地来讲, 你们第一次的时候比第二次得到的信息要多, 但是我冒昧地猜 你们觉得第二次更真实一些。
venture:v.敢于;冒险;投机;n.企业;风险;冒险;
Because the pictures made it feel more real to you. 因为那些照片让你们 感觉更真实。
Which brings me to the second technique for handling the choice overload problem, which is concretization. 而这个例子就是我们今天要讲的第二个 处理选择过多的技巧, 具体化。
That in order for people to understand the differences between the choices, they have to be able to understand the consequences associated with each choice, and that the consequences need to be felt in a vivid sort of way, in a very concrete way. 为了令人们更好地理解 众多选择之间的区别, 他们必须理解, 每一个选择所将带来的后果, 而这些后果必须是可以 十分清晰、具体地感受到的。
associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) vivid:adj.生动的;鲜明的;鲜艳的; concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖
Why do people spend an average of 15 to 30 percent more when they use an ATM card or a credit card as opposed to cash? 为什么人们平均每天花 比用现今多15%到30%的时间 在自动提款机或信用卡上呢?
credit card:n.[经]信用卡; opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
Because it doesn't feel like real money. 因为那样感觉不像是真正的钱。
And it turns out that making it feel more concrete can actually be a very positive tool to use in getting people to save more. 所以 原来使感觉更具体化 可以成为令人们节约的 好方法。
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
So a study that I did with Shlomo Benartzi and Alessandro Previtero, we did a study with people at ING -- employees that are all working at ING -- and now these people were all in a session where they're doing enrollment for their 401(k) plan. 所以在一个我与Shlomo Benartzi 和Alessandro Precitero做的研究中, 我们和所有ING(荷兰国际集团)的 员工一起做了一个研究, 所有人都参加了一个 一起注册401(k)雇员福利的会议。
enrollment:n.登记;入伍;
And during that session, we kept the session exactly the way it used to be, but we added one little thing. 在这个过程中 我们在保持每个会议完全相同的情况下, 加了一个小东西。
The one little thing we added was we asked people to just think about all the positive things that would happen in your life if you saved more. 我们加的是, 让他们 每个人都想象如果多存一些 生命中可能会发生的那些美好的事情。
By doing that simple thing, there was an increase in enrollment by 20 percent and there was an increase in the amount of people willing to save or the amount that they were willing to put down into their savings account by four percent. 仅仅是这样做后, 参与率上升了百分之二十, 人们愿意存钱的数额或者说是 愿意放进自己储蓄账户的金额增长了 百分之四。
The third technique: Categorization . 第三个技巧:分类。
Categorization:n.分类;分门别类;编目方法;
We can handle more categories than we can handle choices. 相比处理选择来说, 我们可以轻松处理更多类别。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
So for example, here's a study we did in a magazine aisle. 比如说, 我们做了一个有关买杂志类过道的研究,
It turns out that in Wegmans grocery stores up and down the northeast corridor , the magazine aisles range anywhere from 331 different kinds of magazines all the way up to 664. 发现在Wegmans百货商店中, 在东北走廊的地方, 买杂志的那一栏 有331到 甚至664种杂志。
northeast:adj.东北的;来自东北的;n.东北;adv.向东北;来自东北; corridor:n.通道;过道;走廊(一国领土通过他国境内的狭长地带); aisles:n.[建]通道;[建]走廊(aisle的复数);
But you know what? 但是你们知道么?
If I show you 600 magazines and I divide them up into 10 categories, versus I show you 400 magazines and divide them up into 20 categories, you believe that I have given you more choice and a better choosing experience if I gave you the 400 than if I gave you the 600. 如果我先给你们看600本杂志, 然后把它们分成10类, 然后再给你们看400本杂志, 但是分成20类, 你们会相信, 当我给你们看 400本杂志时 比给你们600本时的选择更多,选择体验更好。
Because the categories tell me how to tell them apart. 因为类别可以帮我分辨它们的区别。
Here are two different jewelry displays . 这里有两个不同的珠宝展示,
displays:v.陈列; n.陈列;
One is called "Jazz" and the other one is called "Swing." 一个叫“爵士”,另一个叫“摇摆”
If you think the display on the left is Swing and the display on the right is Jazz, clap your hands. 如果你觉得左边的是“摇摆” 右边的是“爵士” 就请鼓掌。
(Light Clapping) (稀疏的掌声)
Okay, there's some. 好吧,有一些。
If you think the one on the left is Jazz and the one on the right is Swing, clap your hands. 如果你觉得左边的是“爵士”, 右边的是“摇摆” 请鼓掌。
Okay, a bit more. 稍微多一点儿了。
Now it turns out you're right. 你们是对的。
The one on the left is Jazz and the one on the right is Swing, but you know what? 左边的的确是“爵士”,而右边的正是“摇摆”, 但是你知道么?
This is a highly useless categorization scheme . 这是一个十分无用的分类阴谋。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; scheme:n.计划;方案;体系;体制;阴谋;v.密谋;图谋;想;认为;
(Laughter) (笑声)
The categories need to say something to the chooser , not the choice-maker. 类别必须可以告诉 选择者一些事情,而不是创造选择的人。
chooser:n.选择器;选举人;选择者;投票者;
And you often see that problem when it comes down to those long lists of all these funds. 你们也许可以在 那些冗长的基金名单中看到这个问题。
Who are they actually supposed to be informing ? 到底谁才是应该得到信息的人呢?
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) informing:v.知会;通知;通告;了解;熟悉;对…有影响(inform的现在分词)
My fourth technique: Condition for complexity . 我的第四个技巧是:从简入繁
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
It turns out we can actually handle a lot more information than we think we can, we've just got to take it a little easier. 事实上,我们所能 承受的信息量比我们想象的要高, 我们需要做的就是用轻松地面度对待。
We have to gradually increase the complexity. 我们必须逐渐加大复杂程度。
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
I'm going to show you one example of what I'm talking about. 现在我给你们举一个有关的例子。
Let's take a very, very complicated decision: buying a car. 我们来一起做一个非常非常复杂的决定: 买车。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
Here's a German car manufacturer that gives you the opportunity to completely custom make your car. 现在有一个德国制造商, 愿意让你定制一辆完全个性化的车。
manufacturer:n.生产商;生产者;制造者;
You've got to make 60 different decisions, completely make up your car. 你必须要做60个不同的决定 才能做好这辆车。
Now these decisions vary in the number of choices that they offer per decision. 这些决定包括 每一个决定所提供的选择。
vary:vi.变化;变异;违反;vt.改变;使多样化;变奏;
Car colors, exterior car colors -- 光车的颜色,内置的颜色
exterior:n.外观;外表;adj.外面的;外部的;外表的;户外的;
I've got 56 choices. 就有56种选择。
Engines, gearshift -- four choices. 有四种发动机,变速排档选择。
gearshift:n.变速杆;换挡杆(等于gearlever);
So now what I'm going to do is I'm going to vary the order in which these decisions appear. 现在我要做的是 改变这些要做的决定出线的顺序。
So half of the customers are going to go from high choice, 56 car colors, to low choice, four gearshifts. 所以,一般的观众 要从选择多的决定开始-56种颜色 开始到选择少的决定-四种变速排档。
The other half of the customers are going to go from low choice, four gearshifts, to 56 car colors, high choice. 另外一半的观众 要从选择少的决定,四种变档开始 到56种车颜色,选择多的决定
other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
What am I going to look at? 我想要观察什么呢?
How engaged you are. 你们有多积极。
If you keep hitting the default button per decision, that means you're getting overwhelmed , that means I'm losing you. 如果你不停地按默认选项的话 就说明你已经被选择淹没了, 也就是说我正在失去你的参与。
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
What you find is the people who go from high choice to low choice, they're hitting that default button over and over and over again . 你会发现, 从选择多的开始到选择少的人 会不停地选择默认选项。
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
We're losing them. 我们就会逐渐失去他们了
They go from low choice to high choice, they're hanging in there. 那些从选择少开始到选择多的人, 还在坚持着。
It's the same information. It's the same number of choices. 可是他们所得到的信息是完全一样的。所要做的选择也是一样的。
The only thing that I have done is I have varied the order in which that information is presented. 我所做的唯一一件事就是 改变了 信息所出现的顺序。
varied:adj.多变的;各式各样的;杂色的;v.改变;使多样化;(vary的过去式和过去分词)
If I start you off easy, 如果我给你一个轻松的开始,
I learn how to choose. 教你如何选择。
Even though choosing gearshift doesn't tell me anything about my preferences for interior decor , it still prepares me for how to choose. 即使选择变速排档 不能说明我对车内颜色的偏好 却仍能教会我如何去选择。
preferences:n.偏爱;爱好;喜爱;偏爱的事物;(preference的复数) interior:n.内部;内陆;内地;里面;adj.内部的;里面的; decor:n.装饰,布置;
It also gets me excited about this big product that I'm putting together, so I'm more willing to be motivated to be engaged. 另一件令我兴奋的事实是我所要组成的是如此一个庞然大物, 所以我变得更有动力 去参与。
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
So let me recap . 让我重新整理一下重点,
recap:n.翻新的轮胎;vt.翻新胎面;扼要重述;
I have talked about four techniques for mitigating the problem of choice overload -- cut -- get rid of the extraneous alternatives; concretize -- make it real; 我讲了四种可以减缓过多选择的 技巧- 精简-放弃没有用的选择; 具体化-让选择变得更真实一些;
mitigating:adj.可考虑从轻处置的情节(或因素)v.减轻;缓和;(mitigate的现在分词)
categorize -- we can handle more categories, less choices; condition for complexity. 分类-我们能承受的类别比选择多; 从简入繁。
categorize:vt.分类;
All of these techniques that I'm describing to you today are designed to help you manage your choices -- better for you, you can use them on yourself, better for the people that you are serving. 今天我所讲的所有技巧, 都是为了帮助你更好地管理选择而设计的- 使用这些技巧对你更好, 也对你所服务的那些人更好。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词)
Because I believe that the key to getting the most from choice is to be choosy about choosing. 所以我相信 从选择中获益最多的关键是 对选择挑剔一些。
choosy:adj.好挑剔的;
And the more we're able to be choosy about choosing the better we will be able to practice the art of choosing. 我们对选择越是挑剔 就越能 掌握选择的艺术。
Thank you very much. 非常感谢。
(Applause) (观众鼓掌)