返回首页

ShameemAkhtar_2017W-_学习得到自由_

A room full of boys. 整间房间满是男孩。
A girl child, hardly nine or ten years old, she is sitting in the center of the room, surrounded by books. 一个女孩,快要九岁或十岁, 她坐在房间的中央,周围都是书。
She is the only girl among boys, and is barely missing her female cousins and friends, who are inside the home instead of the school, because they are not allowed to get an education alongside boys. 只有她这一个女孩,其他都是男孩, 她很少会想念她的 表姐妹和女性朋友, 她们都在家中而不是在学校, 因为她们不被允许 和男孩一起受教育。
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
There isn't a single functional girls' school in her village. 在她的村子中,连一个 在运作的女子学校都没有。
functional:adj.功能的;
She was born in a Baloch conservative tribe , where women and girls are a matter of honor. 她生在一个俾路支人的保守部落, 在那里,女人和女孩要靠的是榮誉。
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者; tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙;
She is the eldest in her family, and when she was about to be born, her parents wanted a baby boy. 她是家中最年长的, 当她快要出生时, 她的父母想要的是男宝宝。
eldest:adj.最年长的;年事最高的(old的最高级);n.最年长者; was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
But they had bad luck; a baby girl arrived. 但他们运气不好;生出的是女宝宝。
It was customary in her family to keep girls inside the homes. 在她的家庭里,习俗是 将女孩留在家中。
customary:adj.习惯的;通常的;n.习惯法汇编;
But her uncle, who was a university graduate, he wanted to give her an opportunity to see the world, to be part of the society. 但她的叔叔是个大学毕業生, 他想要给她一个机会去看世界, 成为社会的一份子。
Luckily, she has a name that can be used for both men and women. 幸运的是,她的名字是 男女都可使用的名字。
So he saw a chance to change her course of life. 所以,他看见了一个机会, 能改变她的人生方向。
So he decided to raise her as a boy. 所以,他决定把她当成男孩养育。
At three months old, she went from being a baby girl, to baby boy. 三个月大时, 她从女宝宝变成了男宝宝。
She is given a boy's getup . 她被打扮成男孩。
getup:n.服饰,式样;装订格式;
She is allowed to go outside and get an education alongside boys. 她被允许外出, 和男孩一起受教育。
She is free, she is confident . 她很自由,她很有自信。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
She observes , she notes small, everyday injustices faced by women and girls in her village. 她观察到、注意到每天 都有些小小的不公正, 是她村子中的女人和女孩要面对的。
observes:遵守;观察(observe的第三人称单数); injustices:n.不公正;不讲道义;
When newspapers arrive at her home, she watches as it passes from the eldest man to the youngest man. 当报纸送到她家时, 她看着报纸被传阅,从最年长的 男人传到最年轻的男人。
By the time women get hold of the paper, it is old news. 当女人能够拿到报纸时, 新闻都过时了。
get hold of:把握;抓住;得到;
She completes her eighth-grade year. 她完成了八年级的学業。
Now fear starts to come in. 现在,恐惧开始出现了。
This will be the end of her education, because the only option for high school for further study is five kilometers away. 这是她的教育的终点, 因为若要再升学,唯一能选择的高中 在五公里之外。
option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
Boys have bicycles, they are free. 男孩有脚踏车,他们是自由的。
But she knows her father will not allow her to travel on her own, even if she were posing as a boy. 但她知道, 她父亲不会让她单独旅行, 即使她是在假扮男孩也不行。
posing:v.造成;引起;产生;提问;摆好姿势;(pose的现在分词)
'"I can't let you do that. 「我不能让你那么做。
And I don't have the time to walk you there and back. 我也没有时间陪你走去再走回来。
Sorry, it is impossible." 抱歉,那是不可能的。」
She gets very upset . 她非常沮丧。
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
But a miracle happened. 但,一个奇迹发生了。
miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
A long-distance relative offers to teach her ninth- and tenth-grade curricula during summer vacations. 一位远方亲戚提供协助,愿意教导她 九年级和十年级的课程, 利用暑假的时间进行。
long-distance:adj.[通信][交]长途的;长距离的;vt.打长途电话给;adv.通过长途电话; relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物; curricula:n.课程(curriculum的复数形式);
This is how she completed her matriculation . 她是这样完成二级中学考试的。
matriculation:n.入学考试;大学入学许可;录取入学;
The girl whom I am talking about to you is me, Shameem, who is talking before you now. 我跟你们说的这个女孩, 就是我,夏敏, 现在在各位面前演说。
(Applause) (掌声)
Throughout centuries, people have been fighting for their identity . 数世纪以来,人们一直 为自己的身份在奋战。
Throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
People have been loved, privileged , because of their identity, their nationality, their ethnicity . 有些人会被爱,会有特权, 是因为他们的身份、 他们的国籍、他们的人种。
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) ethnicity:n.种族划分;
Again, people have been hated, denied , because of their nationality, their identity, their race, their gender , their religion. 同样的,有些人会被仇恨、否认, 是因为他们的国籍、他们的身份、 他们的种族、他们的 性别、他们的宗教。
denied:v.否认;拒绝;否定;不承认;(deny的过去分词和过去式) gender:n.性别;
Identity determines your position in society, wherever you live. 不论你住在哪里,身份会 决定你在社会中的地位。
determines:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;裁决;安排;(determine的第三人称单数)
So if you ask me, I would say I hate this question of identity. 如果你问我,我会说, 我讨厌这个身份的问题。
Millions of girls in this world are being denied their basic rights because of being female. 世界上有数百万名女孩, 连基本的权利都没有, 只因为她们是女性。
I would have faced the same, if I hadn't been raised as a boy. 若我没有被当成男孩养育, 我也会面临同样的状况。
I was determined to continue my studies, to learn, to be free. 我下定决心要持续我的学業, 我要学习,我要自由。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
After my schooling, even enrolling in college was not easy for me. 在我的学校教育之后,即使 要申请进入专科都不容易。
enrolling:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的现在分词)
I went on a three-day hunger strike . 我进行了三天的绝食抗议。
hunger strike:n.绝食(抗议);v.举行绝食抗议;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Then, I got permission for college. 接着,我就被允许进入专科了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
In that way, I completed my college. 我以那种方式,完成了专科学業。
Two years later, when the time came for me to go to university, my father turned his eyes, his attention, to my younger brothers. 两年后,当我要去大学的时候到了, 我父亲把他的视线和注意力 转向我的弟弟们。
They need to be in school, secure jobs and support the family. 他们需要去上学, 找到稳定工作,支助家庭。
And as a woman, my place was to be home. 身为女人,我的位置是在家里。
But, I don't give up. 但我没有放弃。
I sign up for a two-year program to become a lady health visitor . 我参加了一项两年期计画, 成为女性卫生访视员。
health visitor:n.(英国)家访护士;
Then I hear about Thardeep Rural Development Program, a non-profit organization working to empower rural communities . 接着,我听说了 TRDP 「塔迪普农村发展计画」, 一个非营利组织努力协助 农村社区有自己的能力。
Rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; non-profit:adj.非营利的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
I sneak away. 我偷溜了。
sneak:v.溜; n.鬼鬼祟祟的人; adj.暗中进行的;
I travel five hours to interview for a position. 我花了五小时的交通时间, 去应征这个职务。
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
It is the first time I am the farthest from my home I have ever been. 这是我离我的家最远的一次。
I am closest to my freedom I have ever been. 也是我离我的自由最近的一次。
Luckily, I got the job, but the hardest part is facing my father. 幸运的是,我得到这份工作了, 但,最困难的部分是面对我父亲。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Relatives are already scaring him about his daughter wandering off, teasing him with talk of his daughter crossing the border. 亲戚已经把他吓坏了, 说他的女儿突然消失, 嘲笑他,说他的女儿越过了边境。
Relatives:n.亲戚;亲属;同类事物;(relative的复数) teasing:adj.开玩笑的;n.取笑;挑逗;v.取笑;戏弄;招惹;(tease的现在分词)
When I return home, 当我返家时,
I want nothing more than just to accept the position in Thardeep. 我最想要的就是接受 塔迪普的那份工作。
So that night, I packed all my things in a bag, and I walked into my father's room and told him, "Tomorrow morning, the bus is going to come in. 所以,那晚,我打包了 我所有的东西, 我走进我父亲的房间,告诉他: 「明天早上,公车会来。
If you believe in me, if you believe in me, you will wake me up and take me to the bus station . 如果你相信我, 如果你相信我, 你就会叫醒我,带我去公车站。
bus station:n.公共汽车站;(尤指)长途汽车站;
If you don't, I'll understand." 如果你没这么做,我也能了解。」
Then I went to sleep. 接着,我去睡觉了。
The next morning, my father was standing beside me to take me to the bus stop. 隔天早晨,我父亲站在我旁边, 带我去公车站。
(Applause) (掌声)
That day, I understood the importance of words. 那天,我了解了话语的重要性。
I understood how words affect our hearts, how words play an important role in our lives. 我了解了话语如何能影响我们的心, 话语在我们的生活中如何 扮演一个重要的角色。
I understood words are more powerful than fighting. 我了解了话语比抗争更强大。
At TRDP, I saw there was a Pakistan which I didn't know, a country much more complex than I had realized. 在 TRDP,我看到了 我不认识的巴基斯坦, 这个国家比我所知道的要复杂多了。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
Until that, I thought I had a difficult life. 在那之前,我还以为 我的生活很辛苦。
But here, I saw what women in other parts of Pakistan were experiencing. 在这里,我看到女性在 巴基斯坦某些地区中的经历。
It really opened my eyes. 我真的开了眼界。
Some women had 11 children but nothing to feed them. 有些女人有十一个孩子, 却没东西可以喂养他们。
For getting water, they would walk three hours every day to wells. 她们每天要走三小时 才能到水井去取水。
The nearest hospital was at least 32 kilometers away. 最近的医院至少在三十二公里外。
So if a woman is in labor, she travels by camel to get to the hospital. 女性分娩时, 她要骑骆驼去医院。
The distance is great; she may die on her way. 距离太长了,她可能会在路上死亡。
So now, this became more than just a job for me. 所以,现在,这对我而言 不只是一份工作了。
I discovered my power. 我发现了我的力量。
Now, as I was getting salary, 我拿到薪水时,
I started sending back money to my home. 我开始会寄一些钱回我家。
Relatives and neighbors were noticing this. 亲戚和邻居注意到了这件事。
Now they started to understand the importance of education. 现在,他们开始了解教育的重要性。
By that time, some other parents started sending their daughters to school. 到了那时,有些其他的父母 开始送他们的女儿去上学。
Slowly, it became easier and acceptable for young women to be in college. 慢慢地,大家越来越能接受 年轻女子去上大学。
acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的;
Today, there isn't a single girl out of school in my village. 现今,在我的村子, 没有一个女孩没去上学。
(Applause) (掌声)
Girls are doing jobs in health sites , even in police. 在健康场所,甚至警局, 都有女孩在工作。
sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
Life was good. 生活很棒。
But somewhere in my heart, 但在我心中某处,
I realized that my region , beyond my village needs further change. 我知道在我的村子以外的地区, 需要进一步的改变。
region:n.地区;范围;部位;
This was also the time when I joined Acumen Fellowship . 这个时候,我加入了一个 领袖培养协会 Acumen Fellowship。
Acumen:n.聪明,敏锐; Fellowship:n.友谊;奖学金;研究员职位;
There, I met leaders like me across the country. 在那里,我见到全国各地 像我这样的领导人。
And I saw they are taking risks in their lives. 我看到他们在自己的人生中冒险。
I started to understand what leadership really means. 我开始了解, 领导力真正的意义是什么。
So I decided to go back to my region and take a position as a teacher in a remote school, a school that I have to reach by bus -- two hours traveling, every morning and evening. 所以我决定回到我的地区, 接下一间偏远学校的老师职务, 我得要搭公车才能到那间学校── 每天早上和晚上都要 花两小时交通时间。
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
Though it was hard, on my first day I knew 虽然很辛苦,但在第一天我就知道,
I made the right decision. 我做的决策是对的。
The first day I walked into the school, 我走进学校的第一天,
I saw all these little Shameems staring back at me -- 我看到这些小夏敏回望着我──
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
with dreams in their eyes, the same dream of freedom which I had in my childhood . 她们的眼中有梦想, 和我儿时的自由梦想一样。
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
So the girls are eager to learn, but the school is understaffed . 这些女孩渴望学习, 但学校员工人力不足。
understaffed:adj.人手不足的;人员不足的;
Girls sit hopeful, learn nothing, and they leave. 女孩们带着希望等着, 什么都没学到, 所以她们离开了。
I can't bear to see this happening. 我无法忍受看到这种事。
There was no turning back. 没有回头路。
I found my purpose. 我找到我人生的目的。
I enlisted a few of my friends to help me to teach. 我找了几位朋友来协助我教学。
enlisted:adj.士兵的;v.争取;(使)入伍;征募;从军;(enlist的过去分词和过去式)
I'm introducing my girls to the outside world by extracurricular activities and books. 我要把外面的世界介绍给 我的女孩们认识, 透过课外活动和书籍来达成这目标。
extracurricular:adj.课外的;业余的;婚外的;
I share with them the profiles of the world's best leaders, like Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. 我和她们分享世界上 最棒的领导人的简要故事, 比如金恩博士和曼德拉。
profiles:n.配置文件; v.扼要描述;
Last year, a few of our students went to college. 去年,我们有几个学生上了大学。
For me, I never stop studying. 对我而言,我永远不会停止学习。
Today, I'm working to complete my PhD in education -- 现在,我正在努力取得 我的教育博士学位──
(Applause) (掌声)
which will allow me to gain a management position in the school system, and I will be able to make more decisions and play a pivotal role in the system. 有了这个学位, 我就能在学校体制当中 取得管理职, 我就能够做更多的决策, 并在体制中扮演枢轴的角色。
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; pivotal:adj.关键的;中枢的;枢轴的;n.关键事物;中心事物;
I believe that without educating the girls, we may not make world peace. 我相信,若不教育这些女孩, 我们不可能达成世界和平。
We may not reduce child marriage. 我们无法减少童婚。
We may not reduce infant mortality rate. 我们无法降低婴儿死亡率。
infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
We may not reduce maternal mortality rate. 我们无法降低母亲死亡率。
maternal:adj.母亲的;母性的;母系的;母体遗传的;
For this, we have to continuously and collectively work together. 为了这个目的,我们得要持续地、 共同地一起努力。
continuously:adv.连续不断地; collectively:adv.共同地,全体地;
At least I am playing my role, though the destination is not close. 至少,我在扮演我的角色, 虽然目的地还很遥远。
The road is not easy. 这条路不好走。
But I have dreams in my eyes, and I am not going to look back now. 但我眼中有着梦想, 而现在,我不会再回头看。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)