|
|
ShadBegum_2018W-_巴基斯坦的女性如何改变政治_
|
I'm here to tell you how change is happening at a local level in Pakistan, because women are finding their place in the political process . |
今天我在这想谈的是 一个地方的力量 是如何改变巴基斯坦。 因为女性正在从政之路上 取得她们的一席之地。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
I want to take you all on a journey to the place I was raised, northwest Pakistan, called Dir. |
我想带你们踏上旅程 回到我当初成长的地点, 位于巴基斯坦西北部的迪尔。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; northwest:adj.西北的;来自西北的;n.西北;adv.在西北;来自西北;
|
Dir was founded in the 17th century. |
迪尔在十七世纪时建立, |
It was a princely state until its merger with Pakistan in 1969. |
在 1969 年被巴基斯坦併入前 是个土邦体制的省份。 |
princely:adj.王子的,高贵的;慷慨的;豪华的; merger:n.(企业等的)合并;并购;吸收(如刑法中重罪吸收轻罪);
|
Our prince, Nawab Shah Jahan, reserved the right to wear white, the color of honor, but only for himself. |
我们的君主,纳瓦布沙贾罕 保留了穿戴白色服饰的权利。 不过只有他才能 穿戴这象征榮誉的颜色。 |
Nawab:n.印度行政长官;英国人(等于nabob); reserved:adj.内向的; v.预订,预约; (reserve的过去分词和过去式)
|
He didn't believe in educating his people. |
他不相信他的人民需要接受教育。 |
And at the time of my birth in 1979, only five percent of boys and one percent of girls received any schooling at all. |
而在我出生的那年 1979 年, 只有 5% 的男孩以及 1% 的女孩, 曾经接受过任何的学校教育。 |
I was one among that one percent. |
而我就是那 1% 其中的一个。 |
Growing up, I was very close to my father. |
成长过程中,我与我父亲关系紧密。 |
He is a pharmacy doctor, and he sent me to school. |
他是药局医师,并且送我到学校。 |
pharmacy:n.药房;配药学,药剂学;制药业;一批备用药品;
|
Every day, I would go to his clinic when my lessons finished. |
每天当我下课后, 我都会跑去他的诊所。 |
clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
|
He's a wonderful man and a well-respected community leader. |
他是位极好的人 也是备受尊敬的社区领袖。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
He was leading a welfare organization , and I would go with him to the social and political gatherings to listen and talk to the local men about our social and economic problems. |
他也带领过一间社会福利机构, 我也想跟着他去社会及政治的集会, 去聆听以及向当地的男人 谈论我们社会和经济的问题。 |
welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; gatherings:n.聚会;集会;收集;采集;(gathering的复数) economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
However, when I was 16, my father asked me to stop coming with him to the public gatherings. |
然而,当我 16 岁时 我父亲要求我停止跟他去公众集会。 |
Now, I was a young woman, and my place was in the home. |
因为我的身分只是个年轻的女人, 所以我的职责是待在家中。 |
I was very upset . |
对此我非常沮丧。 |
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
|
But most of my family members, they were happy with this decision. |
不过我多数的家庭成员, 却乐见于这个决定。 |
It was very difficult for me to sit back in the home and not be involved . |
呆坐家中,无法参与其中 对我而言非常难熬。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
It took two years that finally my family agreed that my father could reconnect me with women and girls, so they could share their problems and together we could resolve them. |
时间过了两年, 我的家庭成员终于同意父亲 将我与女性们接轨上线, 所以我们能够一起倾诉和解决问题。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; reconnect:v.使再接合; resolve:vt.决定; vi.解决; n.坚决;
|
So, with his blessings , |
在父亲的同意之下, |
blessings:n.祝福(blessing复数);
|
I started to reconnect with women and girls so we could resolve their problems together. |
我开始与女性们重新接触 并一起解决问题。 |
When women show up, they bring their realities and views with them. |
当女性们在场时, 她们提出许多对于真实样貌的看法。 |
And yet, I have found all too often, women underestimate their own strength, their potential and their self-respect . |
但是,可惜的是 女人低估了她们的力量、 潜能以及她们自己的自尊。 |
underestimate:v.低估;看轻;n.低估; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; self-respect:n.自重,自尊;
|
However, while connecting with these women and girls, it became very clear to me that if there was to be any hope to create a better life for these women and girls and their families, we must stand up for our own rights -- and not wait for someone else to come and help us. |
然而,在我与这些女性接触时, 我很清楚地知道 如果有任何方法, 可以为了那些女性及她们的家庭 创建一个更好的生活, 我们必须挺身而出, 捍卫自己的权利—— 不能光光只是等待某人来拯救我们。 |
stand up for:支持,坚持;拥护;
|
So I took a huge leap of faith and founded my own organization in '94 to create our very own platform for women empowerment . |
所以我决定放手一搏 在 1994 年建立了 属于我自己的组织, 致力于创建属于女性们的赋权平台。 |
leap:n.跳越;跳跃;跳高;骤变;v.跳;跳跃;跳越;猛冲; faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; empowerment:n.许可,授权;
|
I engaged many women and girls to work with me. |
我聘雇了许多的女性与我共事。 |
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
|
It was hard. |
这非常的艰辛。 |
Many of the women working with me had to leave once they got married, because their husbands wouldn't let them work. |
许多与我共事的女性 婚后就必须离开岗位, 因为她们的丈夫不允许她们工作。 |
One colleague of mine was given away by her family to make amends for a crime her brother had committed . |
我的其中一位同事 为了弥补她兄长所犯下的罪刑, 而被她的家族给许配了出去。 |
colleague:n.同事,同僚; make amends for:赔偿; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
|
I couldn't help her. |
我只能袖手旁观。 |
And I felt so helpless at that time. |
那时我感到非常的无助。 |
helpless:adj.无助的;无能的;没用的;
|
But it made me more determined to continue my struggle. |
不过这也让我更坚定地 去完成我要奋斗的目标。 |
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
|
I saw many practices like these, where these women suffered silently, bearing this brutality . |
我见过许多像这样的习俗, 女性默默并残忍地忍受着痛苦。 |
bearing:n.关系;影响;姿态;举止v.承受;忍受;承担责任;(bear的现在分词) brutality:n.无情;残忍;暴行(需用复数形式);
|
But when I see a woman struggling to change her situation instead of giving up, it motivates me. |
不过当我看见一位女性 为她的处境努力奋斗,永不放弃时, 我被她所感化了。 |
motivates:v.促使;刺激;给与动机(motivate的三单形式);
|
So I ran for a public office as an independent candidate in Lower Dir in the local elections in 2001. |
所以在 2001 年的地方选举上 我以无党籍的身分在下迪尔 展开了竞选。 |
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
|
Despite all the challenges and hurdles I faced throughout this process, I won. |
尽管在竞选期间面临到 种种的挑战及障碍,我终究当选了。 |
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; hurdles:n.障碍;跨栏;跨栏跑;障碍赛跑(hurdle的复数); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And I served in the public office for six years. |
我在公家机关服务了六年。 |
But unfortunately , we women, elected women, we were not allowed to sit in the council together with all the members and to take part in the proceedings . |
不幸地是, 我们这些选举出来的女人, 却不被允许与所有成员 一同坐在议会里头, 也不被允许参与议项讨论。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; council:n.(市、郡等的)政务委员会;市政(或地方管理)服务机构; proceedings:n.诉讼;行动(proceeding的复数形式);会议记录;议程;
|
We had to sit in a separate, ladies-only room, not even aware what was happening in the council. |
我们只能坐在被区隔开来的 女士专属房间, 甚至完全不晓得议会内的情况。 |
Men told me that, "You women, elected women members, should buy sewing machines for women." |
男人告诉我: 「你们这些当选的女人, 应该购买裁缝机给女人。」 |
sewing:n.缝纫;缝制中的衣物;v.缝;做针线活;缝制;缝补;(sew的现在分词)
|
When I knew what they needed the most was access to clean drinking water . |
但是我知道女性最迫切需要的 是取得干净饮用水的管道。 |
drinking water:n.饮用水;
|
So I did everything I could do to prioritize the real challenges these women faced. |
所以我想尽办法, 去优先处理这些女人 面对的真正难题。 |
prioritize:v.按重要性排列;划分优先顺序;优先处理;
|
I set up five hand pumps in the two dried up wells in my locality . |
我在两个干枯的水井当中 装设了五个人工幫浦。 |
pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送; locality:n.所在;位置;地点;
|
Well, we got them working again. |
并且让它们再次发动。 |
Before long , we made water accessible for over 5,000 families. |
过没多久,我们让超过 5,000 户家庭 |
Before long:不久以后; accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
|
We proved that anything the men could do, so could we women. |
我们证明了男人可以做的事, 女人也可以办得到。 |
I built alliances with other elected women members, and last year, we women were allowed to sit together with all the members in the council. |
我与其他当选的女性结盟, 就在去年, 我们被允许与所有成员坐在会议里头。 |
alliances:n.联盟,同盟;盟国(alliance的复数形式);联姻;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And to take part in the legislation and planning and budgeting , in all the decisions. |
并且能够参与立法、 制定计画以及预算案 及所有的决定。 |
legislation:n.立法;法律; budgeting:n.编制预算;v.做预算(budget的ing形式);
|
I saw there is strength in numbers. |
我在一群人当中看到了力量。 |
You know yourselves. |
你了解你自己。 |
Lack of representation means no one is fighting for you. |
缺乏代表权,表示 没有人将为你挺身而出。 |
representation:n.表现;代表;描述;陈述
|
Pakistan is -- |
巴基斯坦—— |
We're 8,000 miles away from where I'm here with you today. |
与我今天演讲的地点 相距 8,000 公里之远。 |
But I hope what I'm about to tell you will resonate with you, though we have this big distance in miles and in our cultures. |
但我希望我接下来要说的事 能跟你产生共鸣, 尽管我们相距遥远且有文化的隔阂。 |
resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
|
When women show up, they bring the realities and hopes of half a population with them. |
当女人发声时, 她们带出了半数人口的 真实情况以及希望。 |
In 2007, we saw the rise of the Taliban in Swat, Dir and nearby districts. |
我们在 2007 年 见识到了塔利班的崛起, 不管是在斯瓦特、迪尔, 还是其他邻近地区。 |
Taliban:塔利班; nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近;
|
It was horrifying . |
那真是可怕至极。 |
horrifying:adj.令人极其震惊的;v.惊吓;使厌恶;(horrify的现在分词)
|
The Taliban killed innocent people. |
塔利班份子屠杀无辜民众。 |
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
|
Almost every day, people collected the dead bodies of their loved ones from the streets. |
几乎每天 都有民众从街头 接回她们摯爱亲人的尸体, |
Most of the social and political leaders struggling and working for the betterment of their communities were threatened and targeted. |
大部分的社会及政治领导人 为了改善社会奋斗, 因而遭到威胁,成了靶标。 |
betterment:n.改善,改进;改良;涨价; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
Even I had to leave, leaving my children behind with my in-laws . |
就连我也被迫离开, 把孩子留给了公婆。 |
in-laws:n.姻亲(无血缘关系的亲戚);
|
I closed my office in Dir and relocated to Peshawar, the capital of my province. |
我关闭了我在迪尔的办公室 并迁移到了白沙瓦, 也就是我所在省份的首都。 |
relocated:v.(使)搬迁,迁移;(relocate的过去分词和过去式)
|
I was in trauma , kept thinking what to do next. |
我受到了心理创伤, 不断思考下一步该如何走。 |
trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
|
And most of the family members and friends were suggesting, " Shad , stop working. |
大部份的家庭成员及朋友劝着我: 「沙德,不要再继续工作了 |
Shad:n.美洲西鲱(等于Alosasapidissima);
|
The threat is very serious." |
这项威胁已经很严重了。」 |
But I persisted . |
但是我坚持下去了。 |
persisted:v.持续(persist的过去分词);坚持不懈;
|
In 2009, we experienced a historic influx of internally displaced persons, from Swat, Dir and other nearby districts. |
在 2009 年,我们经历了 历史上国内流离失所者的汇集, 包括来自于斯瓦特、 迪尔以及邻近地区。 |
historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的; influx:n.流入;汇集;河流的汇集处; internally:adv.内部地;国内地;内在地; displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词)
|
I started visiting the camps almost every day, until the internally displaced persons started to go back to their place of origin . |
我几乎每天都去巡视营地, 直到那些流离失所者 可以回到他们的家乡。 |
origin:n.起源;起因;源头;出身;
|
I established four mother-child health care units, especially to take care of over 10,000 women and children nearby the camps. |
我创立了四个母童照护单位, 特别用来照顾 超过 10,000 个女人及小孩 设立在营区附近。 |
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) health care:n.卫生保健; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
But you know, during all these visits, |
但你知道吗,在访视的过程中 |
I observed that there was very little attention towards women's needs. |
我观察到了几乎没有人 将注意力放在女人的需求上。 |
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
|
And I was looking for what is the reason behind it. |
对此我想找出幕后的原因。 |
And I found it was because of the underrepresentation of women in both social and political platforms , in our society as a whole . |
我发现原来是因为 在整体社会及政治下, 女性代表不足所造成的。 |
underrepresentation:n.代表名额不足; platforms:n.平台; v.把…放在台上; as a whole:总的来说;
|
And that was the time when I realized that I need to narrow down my focus on building and strengthening women's political leadership to increase their political representation, so they would have their own voice in their future. |
也是在此时我才了解到, 我必须缩小我放在建设的焦点, 转而去增强女性 在政治上的领导能力, 并增加女性在政治上的代表额, 她们才能在未来替自己发声。 |
narrow down:缩小;限制;减少;变窄;
|
So we started training around 300 potential women and youth for the upcoming local elections in 2015. |
所以我们开始培训大约 300 名 有潜力的女人及年轻人, 为了在即将到来的 2015 年地方选举做准备。 |
upcoming:adj.即将来临的;
|
And you know what? |
还有你知道吗? |
Fifty percent of them won. |
我们当中有 15% 当选了。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And they are now sitting in the councils , taking part actively in the legislation, planning and budgeting. |
她们现在正坐在议会里, 积极参与立法、制定计画及预算案。 |
councils:n.委员会(council的复数);理事会;
|
Most of them are now investing their funds on women's health, education, skill development and safe drinking water. |
她们大部份正投资着资金, 在女性的健康、教育、 职能发展及干净的饮用水上。 |
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金;
|
All these elected women now share, discuss and resolve their problems together. |
所有这些当选的女人 都正一起商讨和解决问题。 |
Let me tell you about two of the women I have been working with: |
我想说说两个与我一起共事的女性: |
Saira Shams . |
塞拉沙姆斯。 |
Shams:n.伪装; v.假装; adj.虚假的; (sham的第三人称单数)
|
You can see, this young lady, age 26, she ran for a public office in 2015 in Lower Dir, and she won. |
你可以看到这位 26 岁年轻的女士, 她在 2015 年于下迪尔参选且当选。 |
She completed two of the community infrastructure schemes . |
她完成了两项社区的基础建设方案。 |
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; schemes:n.方案,计划;阴谋(scheme的复数);v.计划,设计;谋划(scheme的三单形式);
|
You know, women, community infrastructure schemes ... |
你知道的,女人参与基础建设方案…… |
Some people think this is men's job. |
有些人会认为那是男人的工作。 |
But no, this is women's job, too, we can do it. |
并不是,那也是女人的工作, 我们也办得到。 |
And she also fixed two of the roads leading towards girls schools, knowing that without access to these schools, they are useless to the girls of Dir. |
她同时也修复了两条 通往学校的道路, 并且瞭解如果没有这两条 通往学校的途径, 那它对于迪尔的女孩来说 只是一条毫无用处的道路。 |
And another young woman is Asma Gul. |
另一个年轻的女士则是阿斯玛古尔, |
She is a very active member of the young leaders forum we established. |
她是我们成立的讨论会当中 表现相当积极的成员。 |
forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场;
|
She was unable to run for the public office, so she has become the first female journalist of our region . |
因为她无法参加竞选, 所以她成为了我们地区的 第一位女记者。 |
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
|
She speaks and writes for women's and girls' issues and their rights. |
她为了女性的议题及权利 写报章和为她们发声。 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Saira and Asma, they are the living examples of the importance of inclusion and representation. |
赛拉沙以及阿斯玛 在包容以及代表的重要性中, 是两个活生生的例子。 |
inclusion:n.包含;内含物;
|
Let me tell you this, too. |
让我也顺便告诉你, |
In the 2013 general elections in Pakistan and the local elections in 2015, there were less than 100 women voters in Dir. |
在 2013 年巴基斯坦的全民选举 以及 2015 年的地方选举中, 迪尔只有不到 100 位女性的选民。 |
But you know what? |
但是你知道吗? |
I'm proud to tell you that this year, during the general elections, there were 93,000 women voters in Dir. |
我很骄傲地告诉你 在今年的全民选举中, 迪尔有超过 93,000 名女性选民。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So our struggle is far from over. |
我们的奋斗尚未结束。 |
But this shift is historic. |
不过这是项历史上的改变。 |
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
|
And a sign that women are standing up, showing up and making it absolutely clear that we all must invest in building women's leadership. |
迹象也显示女人正站出来为自己发声。 同时也清楚地表明, 我们必须建立女性的领导能力, |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
In Pakistan and here in the United States, and everywhere in the world, this means women in politics , women in business and women in positions of power making important decisions. |
不管是在巴基斯坦还是在美国这里, 还是全世界的每个地方, 这表示了不管是政治上、商業上, 女人手握权利,能做出重大的决定。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
|
It took me 23 years to get here. |
我花了 23 年才走到这里。 |
But I don't want any girl or any woman to take 23 years of her life to make herself heard. |
我不愿任何的女孩或女人 花费 23 年的时间, |
I have had some dark days. |
我曾经有过黑暗的日子。 |
But I have spent every waking moment of my life working for the right of every woman to live her full potential. |
我花费了我人生中 每一个醒着的时刻, 为每一位女性的权利奋斗, 让她们实践所有的潜能。 |
Imagine with me a world where thousands of us stand up and they support other young women together, creating opportunities and choices that benefit all. |
想像一下,有这样一个世界: 数千名女性站出来, 一起支持其他年轻的女孩, 创造对所有人都有益的机会以及选择。 |
And that, my friends, can change the world. |
朋友们,那就是我说的改变世界。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |