|
|
ShabanaBasijRasikh_2012X-_让阿富汗女孩接受教育的勇气_
|
When I was 11, |
我11岁那年, |
I remember waking up one morning to the sound of joy in my house. |
记得有一天早晨醒来,听见家里有愉悦的声音。 |
My father was listening to BBC News on his small, gray radio. |
我的父亲在用他的灰色小收音机 听BBC新闻。 |
There was a big smile on his face which was unusual then, because the news mostly depressed him. |
他面带笑容,这很少见, 因为大部分的新闻都只会使他沮丧。 |
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
|
'"The Taliban are gone!" my father shouted. |
“塔利班走了!” 父亲大声叫着。 |
Taliban:塔利班;
|
I didn't know what it meant, but I could see that my father was very, very happy. |
我不知道那意味着什么, 但是我能看出父亲非常非常高兴。 |
'"You can go to a real school now," he said. |
“你现在可以去个真正的学校念书了。” 他说。 |
A morning that I will never forget. |
我永远不会忘记那个早晨。 |
A real school. |
一个真正的学校。 |
You see, I was six when the Taliban took over Afghanistan and made it illegal for girls to go to school. |
我6岁那年,塔利班占领阿富汗 并规定女孩上学是违法的。 |
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
|
So for the next five years, I dressed as a boy to escort my older sister, who was no longer allowed to be outside alone, to a secret school. |
所以在那之后5年,我女扮男装 陪着我姐姐去一个秘密学校 姐姐那时已经不被允许独自外出了。 |
escort:n.陪同;护航舰;护卫队;护送者;v.护送;陪同;为…护航;
|
It was the only way we both could be educated. |
这是我们俩人唯一的受教育方式。 |
Each day, we took a different route so that no one would suspect where we were going. |
我们每天要走不同的路线 这样才没有人会怀疑我们要去哪里。 |
route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送; suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的;
|
We would cover our books in grocery bags so it would seem we were just out shopping. |
我们把书放在食品杂货袋中 这样别人就会以为我们只是要去购物 |
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
|
The school was in a house, more than 100 of us packed in one small living room . |
学校在一个房屋里, 我们100多人挤在一个小客厅里。 |
living room:n.客厅;起居室;
|
It was cozy in winter but extremely hot in summer. |
冬天很舒服,但夏天却极热。 |
cozy:n.保温罩;v.蒙骗;抚慰;adj.舒适的;安逸的; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
|
We all knew we were risking our lives -- the teacher, the students and our parents. |
我们都知道自己正冒着生命的危险- 老师,学生以及家长都很明白 |
From time to time , the school would suddenly be canceled for a week because Taliban were suspicious . |
有时,学校会突然停课一周 因为被塔利班怀疑了。 |
From time to time:不时,有时; suspicious:adj.可疑的;怀疑的;多疑的;
|
We always wondered what they knew about us. |
我们总是担心会被塔利班发现。 |
Were we being followed? |
我们在被跟踪吗? |
Do they know where we live? |
他们知道我们的住处吗? |
We were scared, but still, school was where we wanted to be. |
我们很害怕, 但是,我们仍然渴望去学校。 |
I was very lucky to grow up in a family where education was prized and daughters were treasured. |
我很幸运地成长在一个 珍视教育也珍爱女儿的家庭。 |
My grandfather was an extraordinary man for his time. |
我的祖父在他的年代是位非凡的人。 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
|
A total maverick from a remote province of Afghanistan, he insisted that his daughter, my mom, go to school, and for that he was disowned by his father. |
他出身阿富汗边远地区,有着与他人不同的见解 他坚持让他的女儿,我的母亲, 去上学,并因此被迫与他的父亲断绝父子关系。 |
maverick:n.没打烙印的动物; vt.用不正当手段获取; vi.迷途; adj.未打烙印的; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的; disowned:v.与…断绝关系;否认对…的责任(disown的过去分词和过去式)
|
But my educated mother became a teacher. |
但是我那受过教育的母亲成为了一名教师。 |
There she is. |
那就是她。 |
She retired two years ago, only to turn our house into a school for girls and women in our neighborhood . |
她两年前退休了,结果却把我家 变成了一所学校,教育社区中的女孩和妇女 |
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
|
And my father -- that's him -- he was the first ever in his family to receive an education. |
我的父亲-那就是他- 他是他家族中第一个受到教育的人。 |
There was no question that his children would receive an education, including his daughters, despite the Taliban, despite the risks. |
因此毫无疑问,他的孩子 应当受到教育,包括他的女儿, 尽管有塔利班,尽管有风险。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
To him, there was greater risk in not educating his children. |
对他来说,孩子不接受教育才是更大的风险。 |
During Taliban years, I remember there were times I would get so frustrated by our life and always being scared and not seeing a future. |
在塔利班控制阿富汗的那些年,我记得 有时我会对自己的生活感到沮丧 总是会害怕,看不见未来。 |
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
|
I would want to quit , but my father, he would say, "Listen, my daughter, you can lose everything you own in your life. |
我想过要放弃, 但我的父亲 这时就会说 “听着,我的女儿, 你可能失去你生命中的任何东西。 |
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的;
|
Your money can be stolen. You can be forced to leave your home during a war. |
你的钱可能被偷,你可能因战争而背井离乡。 |
But the one thing that will always remain with you is what is here, and if we have to sell our blood to pay your school fees, we will. |
而你唯一能够守护住的东西 就是这里, 如果我们不得不靠卖血来支付你的学费, 我们会毫不犹豫。 |
So do you still not want to continue?" |
即便如此你还是不想继续吗?” |
Today I am 22. |
如今我22岁。 |
I was raised in a country that has been destroyed by decades of war. |
我所成长的国家被几十年的 战争所摧毁。 |
Fewer than six percent of women my age have made it beyond high school, and had my family not been so committed to my education, |
我这个年龄的女性中,高中毕业的人数不到6%, 如果不是我家人的坚持, |
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
|
I would be one of them. |
我也会像绝大多数人一样。 |
Instead, I stand here a proud graduate of Middlebury College. |
而如今我已经是一名自豪的明德学院的毕业生 |
(Applause) |
(掌声)(明德学院(Middlebury College)是全美国的顶级文理学院之一,位于美国佛蒙特州明德镇, 2012年在全美国文理学院中排名第五) |
When I returned to Afghanistan, my grandfather, the one exiled from his home for daring to educate his daughters, was among the first to congratulate me. |
当我回到阿富汗时,我的祖父, 那位因让女儿接受教育而被逐出家门的老人, 最先向我表示了祝贺。 |
exiled:v.流放;放逐;(exile的过去分词和过去式)
|
He not only brags about my college degree, but also that I was the first woman, and that I am the first woman to drive him through the streets of Kabul. |
他骄傲的不仅仅是因为我的大学学历, 也是因为在女性中,我是第一个, 在女性中,我是第一个 开车带他在喀布尔的大街兜风的人。 |
brags:v.吹嘘;自吹自擂(brag的第三人称单数)
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
My family believes in me. |
我的家人很信任我。 |
I dream big, but my family dreams even bigger for me. |
我的梦想很大,但他们对我的期待甚至更高。 |
That's why I am a global ambassador for 10x10, a global campaign to educate women. |
这就是我成为 10x10 的全球大使的原因, 这是一个致力于女性教育的全球组织。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
|
That's why I cofounded SOLA , the first and perhaps only boarding school for girls in Afghanistan, a country where it's still risky for girls to go to school. |
那也是我参与创立 SOLA 的原因, 这是第一所,可能也是阿富汗唯一一所 寄宿女校, 因为在阿富汗,让女孩接受教育依然十分危险。 |
SOLA:n.粗糙田皂角; boarding school:n.寄宿学校;
|
The exciting thing is that I see students at my school with ambition grabbing at opportunity. |
让我兴奋的是,我看见我学校中的学生 能够把握机遇,志向远大。 |
ambition:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负; grabbing:v.抓住;夺得;利用,抓住(机会)(grab的现在分词)
|
And I see their parents and their fathers who, like my own, advocate for them, despite and even in the face of daunting opposition . |
我看见她们的双亲,尤其是她们的父亲, 就像我父亲那样支持她们, 尽管从他们脸上也看出了畏惧。 |
advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; in the face of:面对; daunting:adj.令人生畏的:令人胆怯的:v.使胆怯:使失去信心;(daunt的现在分词) opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
|
Like Ahmed. That's not his real name, and I cannot show you his face, but Ahmed is the father of one of my students. |
比如艾哈迈德,这不是真名, 我也不能让你们看见他的长相, 他是我一个学生的父亲。 |
Less than a month ago, he and his daughter were on their way from SOLA to their village, and they literally missed being killed by a roadside bomb by minutes. |
不到一个月前,他和他女儿 在从学校回村里的路上 他们差一点就被 路边炸弹炸死。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: roadside:n.路边;路旁;adj.路边的;路旁的;
|
As he arrived home, the phone rang, a voice warning him that if he sent his daughter back to school, they would try again. |
他到家时,电话响了, 一个声音警告他 如果他再将女儿送去学校, 刚才的事情就会再次发生。 |
'"Kill me now, if you wish," he said, "but I will not ruin my daughter's future because of your old and backward ideas." |
“如果你想,现在就可以杀了我。”他说, “但我不会因你落后的思想 而毁了我女儿的未来。” |
ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产; backward:adj.向后的;反向的;发展迟缓的;adv.向后地;相反地;
|
What I've come to realize about Afghanistan, and this is something that is often dismissed in the West, that behind most of us who succeed is a father who recognizes the value in his daughter and who sees that her success is his success. |
对于阿富汗,我意识到 ——这是西方国家也不曾意识到的—— 即在我们成功的背后 是一个这样的父亲——他能认识到自己女儿的价值, 也明白女儿的成功,就是他自己的成功。 |
dismissed:v.不予考虑;摒弃;去除,消除;解雇;(dismiss的过去分词和过去式) recognizes:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的第三人称单数)
|
It's not to say that our mothers aren't key in our success. |
这并不是说母亲们对于我们的成功并不重要。 |
In fact, they're often the initial and convincing negotiators of a bright future for their daughters, but in the context of a society like in Afghanistan, we must have the support of men. |
事实上,为了女儿的美好未来,她们通常是 最初和最有说服力的交涉者, 但是在像阿富汗这样的社会中, 我们必须有男性的支持。 |
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于; convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词) negotiators:n.谈判代表(negotiator的复数); context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
Under the Taliban, girls who went to school numbered in the hundreds -- remember, it was illegal. |
在塔利班控制下,去上学的女孩 曾经只有几百人—— 请不要忘了,当时是非法的。 |
But today, more than three million girls are in school in Afghanistan. |
但是今天,阿富汗接受教育的女孩已经超过300万。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Afghanistan looks so different from here in America. |
阿富汗与美国有很大不同。 |
I find that Americans see the fragility in changes. |
我发现,美国人能看出我们变化中的脆弱性。 |
fragility:n.脆弱;[力]易碎性;虚弱;
|
I fear that these changes will not last much beyond the U.S. troops' withdrawal . |
我担心这些变化在美军撤军之后 能够维持多久。 |
withdrawal:n.撤退,收回;提款;取消;退股;
|
But when I am back in Afghanistan, when I see the students in my school and their parents who advocate for them, who encourage them, I see a promising future and lasting change. |
但是当我回到阿富汗 看见我的学生 以及支持她们 并鼓励她们的父母时,我看到了未来的希望, 也看到这种变化会延续下去。 |
To me, Afghanistan is a country of hope and boundless possibilities, and every single day the girls of SOLA remind me of that. |
对我来说,阿富汗充满了希望和无限的可能性, 每一天 在 SOLA 读书的女孩儿都这么提醒着我。 |
boundless:adj.无限的;无边无际的; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
Like me, they are dreaming big. |
像我一样,她们也有很大的梦想。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |