|
|
SeyiOyesola_2007G-_尼日利亚的医院_
|
Just to put everything in context , and to kind of give you a background to where I'm coming from, so that a lot of the things I'm going to say, and the things I'm going to do -- or things I'm going to tell you I've done -- you will understand exactly why and how I got motivated to be where I am. |
为了了解事情的来龙去脉 以及介绍一下我们国家的背景情况 要说的事情有很多 包括我将去做的事 和已经做过的事 你们会确切的明白我为什么以及怎样被鼓励着走到今天这一步。 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
|
I graduated high school in Cleveland, Ohio, 1975. |
1975年我高中毕业于俄亥俄州的克利夫兰。 |
And just like my parents did when they finished studying abroad , we went back home. |
正如我的父母在国外完成学业后一样,我们回到自己的祖国。 |
abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国;
|
Finished university education, got a medical degree, 1986. |
1986年,我大学毕业取得医学学位。 |
And by the time I was an intern house officer , |
我在做驻院实习医生的时候 |
intern:n.实习医生; v.(战争期间或由于政治原因未经审讯)拘留; house officer:n.(英国的)见习医生;实习医生;
|
I could barely afford to maintain my mother's 13-year-old car -- and I was a paid doctor. |
我只能勉强负担得起维修我母亲那辆开了13年的车 那时我是一名挣薪水的医生。 |
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地; afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见);
|
This brings us to why a lot of us who are professionals are now, as they say, in diaspora . |
这也解释了为什么我们当中许多职业医生 现在分散在世界不同的地方。 |
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); diaspora:n.离散的犹太人;犹太人的离散;
|
Now, are we going to make that a permanent thing, where we all get trained and we leave, and we don't go back? |
那么,难道我们要把这变成无法改变的事实吗, 我们都只接受培训,离开后就不再回来了吗? |
permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发;
|
Perhaps not, I should certainly hope not -- because that is not my vision . |
也许不会,我当然不希望这样 因为那和我预料的不同。 |
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
All right, for good measure , that's where Nigeria is on the African map, and just there is the Delta region that I'm sure everybody's heard of. |
为了更好的估量尼日利亚,这是一张尼日利亚所在的非洲地图, 那里就是众所周知的三角洲。 |
for good measure:作为额外增添;另外; Delta:n.(河流的)三角洲;德耳塔(希腊字母的第四个字); region:n.地区;范围;部位;
|
People getting kidnapped, where the oil comes from, the oil that sometimes I think has driven us all crazy in Nigeria. |
在那里人们被绑架,也是石油的来源地, 有时我觉得在尼日利亚石油已经把我们逼疯了。 |
But, critical poverty : this slide is from a presentation I gave not that long ago. Gapminder.org tells the story of the gap between Africa and the rest of the world in terms of health care . |
但是,“极端”贫困,这张幻灯片来源于不久前 我做的一个介绍。Gapminder.org介绍了为什么 非洲与世界其他地方在医疗方面存在差距。 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; presentation:n.展示;描述,陈述;介绍;赠送; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; health care:n.卫生保健;
|
Very interesting. |
非常有趣。 |
How many people do you think are on that taxi? |
你猜在那辆出租车上有几个人? |
And believe it or not, that is a taxi in Nigeria. |
信不信由你,在尼日利亚那确实是一辆出租车。 |
And the capital -- well, what used to be the capital of Nigeria -- Lagos, that's a taxi, and you have police on them. |
尼日利亚过去的首都--拉各斯, 那是一辆出租车,还有警察坐在上面。 |
So, tell me, how many policemen do you think are on this taxi? And now? Three. |
所以,告诉我,你觉得上面有几个警察?现在呢?3个。 |
So, when these kind of people -- and, believe me, it's not just the police that use these taxis in Lagos. We all do. I've been on one of these, and I didn't have a helmet, either. |
相信我,在拉各斯不仅仅是警察 乘坐这些出租车,我们都坐,我也坐过, 我也没戴头盔。 |
And it just reminds me of the thought of what happens when one of us on a taxi like this falls off, has an accident and needs a hospital. |
照片让我想到该怎么办,如果有人 在这种车上掉下来,发生事故,急需医院。 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
|
Believe it or not, some of us do survive. |
不管你信不信,有些人确实是死里逃生。 |
Some of us do survive malaria; we do survive AIDS. |
有人确实战胜了疟疾,我们逃出了艾滋的威胁。 |
And like I tell my family, and my wife reminds me every time, "You're risking your life, you know, every time you go to that country." |
我也这样告诉我家人,我妻子每次都提醒我, 你知道吗,每次你去那个国家,你是在拿生命冒险。 |
And she's right. Every time you go there, you know that if you actually need critical care -- critical care of any sort -- if you have an accident -- of which there are many, there are accidents everywhere -- where do they go? |
她说得对。每次你去到那里, 你都会明白。如果你真的需要紧急护理 不管是任何类型的--如果发生意外, 意外又很多,那里到处都是意外, 他们去哪里? |
Where do they go when they need help for this kind of stuff ? |
当他们因为这种事需要帮助,要去哪里呢? |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
I'm not saying instead of, I'm saying as well as , |
不仅仅是上面提到的意外,还有 |
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
AIDS, TB, malaria , typhoid -- the list goes on. |
艾滋病,肺结核,疟疾,伤寒--等等许多。 |
malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气; typhoid:adj.伤寒的;斑疹伤寒症的;n.伤寒;
|
I'm saying, where do they go when they're like me? |
我是想说,当他们处在我的位置上他们会何去何从? |
When I go back home -- and I do all kinds of things, |
当我回家后--我要做各种事。 |
I teach, I train -- but I catch one of these things, or I'm chronically ill with one of those, where do they go? |
我要教学,要培训,但如果我得了其中一种病, 或是其中一种病的慢性病,他们要去哪里? |
chronically:adv.长期地;慢性地;习惯性地;
|
What's the economic impact when one of them dies or becomes disabled? |
当他们中有人死亡或残疾,会造成什么样的经济影响? |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
I think it's quite significant . This is where they go. |
我觉得影响很显著。这就是他们去的地方 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
These are not old pictures and these are not from some downtrodden -- this is a major hospital. In fact, it's from a major teaching hospital in Nigeria. |
这些不是旧照片,这些人也不是受压迫的人。 这是一家大医院。事实上,这是尼日利亚的一家主要的培训医院。 |
downtrodden:adj.被践踏的,被蹂躏的;受压迫的;
|
Now that is less than a year old, in an operating room. |
这是在一个手术室里,用了还不到一年。 |
That's sterilizing equipment in Nigeria. |
这是尼日利亚的消毒设备。 |
sterilizing:v.灭菌;消毒;使绝育;(sterilize的现在分词)
|
You remember all that oil? |
你们还记得我说过的关于石油的事吗? |
Yes, I'm sorry if it upsets some of you, but |
我很抱歉如果这让你感到不舒服,但 |
upsets:n.压折;
|
I think you need to see this. That's the floor, OK? |
我觉得你还得看看这个,这是地面。 |
You can say some of this is education. |
你可以说这是教育的问题 |
You can say it's hygiene . I'm not pleading poverty. |
也可以说是卫生的问题,我不是在以贫穷为借口 |
hygiene:n.卫生;卫生学;保健法; pleading:n.恳求;答辩;辩论,诉状;adj.恳求的;v.辩护(plead的ing形式);
|
I'm saying we need more than just, you know, vaccination , malaria, AIDS, because I want to be treated in a proper hospital if something happens to me out there. |
我想说我们需要的不仅仅是疫苗, 疟疾,艾滋,因为我希望能 在一家正规医院接受治疗,如果我发生意外或有病的话。 |
vaccination:n.接种疫苗;种痘; treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
|
In fact, when I start running around saying, "Hey, boys and girls, you're cardiologists in the U.S., can you come home with me and do a mission ?" |
事实上,当我开始四处游说 ‘嘿,年轻人,你们在美国是心脏专家, 能和我一起回家进行义诊吗?’ |
cardiologists:心脏病专家; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
|
I want them to think, "Well there's some hope." |
我想让他们觉得,‘仍然有希望。’ |
Now, have a look at that. That's the anesthesiology machine. |
接下来,看看这个,这是麻醉机。 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼; anesthesiology:n.麻醉学;
|
And that's my specialty , right? |
这是我的专长,对吧? |
specialty:n.专业,专长;特产;特性;招牌菜;adj.特色的;专门的;独立的;
|
Anesthesiology and critical care -- look at that bag. |
麻醉及紧急护理--看看那个包。 |
It's been taped with tape that we even stopped using in the U.K. |
它是用胶带缠住的,那种胶带在英国已经停止使用了。 |
And believe me, these are current pictures. |
相信我,这真的是现在的照片。 |
Now, if something like this, which has happened in the U.K., that's where they go. This is the intensive care unit in which I work. |
如果有这样的事发生,在英国发生过, 那就是他们去的地方。这就是我工作的重症监护病房。 |
intensive care:n.(医院里的)特别护理病房;重症监护;
|
All right, this is a slide from a talk I gave about intensive care units in Nigeria, and jokingly we refer to it as "Expensive Scare." |
这是我演讲中的一张幻灯片 关于尼日利亚的重症监护病房。 我们把它开玩笑的称为‘expensive scare*(贵的吓人) |
jokingly:adv.开玩笑地;打趣地; refer:v.参考;涉及;提到;查阅;
|
Because it's scary and it's expensive, but we need to have it, OK? |
因为那间病房很吓人,也很贵,但我们需要。 |
So, these are the problems. |
所以,这些就是问题。 |
There are no prizes for telling us what the problems are, are there? |
告诉我们问题是什么是没有奖励的,对吧? |
I think we all know. And several speakers before and speakers after me are going to tell us even more problems. |
我想我们都知道,但我之前的几位演讲者 以及之后的几位还是会告诉我们更多的问题。 |
These are a few of them. So, what did I do? |
这些是他们中的几位。那么,我干了什么呢? |
There we go -- we're going on a mission. |
在这儿,我们正在进行义诊。 |
We're going to do some open-heart surgery . I was the only Brit , on a team of about nine American cardiac surgeons , cardiac nurse, intensive care nurse. |
我们正准备做开胸手术,我是队里唯一的英国人, 其他9人是美国人,包括心脏外科医生, 心脏外科护士,特别护理护士。 |
open-heart surgery:n.体外循环心脏手术;心脏直视手术;开心术; Brit:n.小鲱鱼;海中微生物; cardiac:n.强心剂;强胃剂;adj.心脏的;心脏病的;贲门的; surgeons:n.外科医生;(surgeon的复数)
|
We all went out and did a mission and we've done three of them so far. |
我们全部外出进行义诊,到现在已经做过3次了。 |
Just so you know, I do believe in missions , I do believe in aid and I do believe in charity . They have their place, but where do they go for those things we talked about earlier? |
我想让你们知道,我真得相信义诊,相信帮助 我也相信慈善。他们是有作用的。 但他们如果遇到我们之前谈到的那些意外或疾病要去哪里呢? |
missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数) charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
|
Because it's not everyone that's going to benefit from a mission. |
因为不是每一个人都能享受到义诊。 |
Health is wealth , in the words of Hans Rosling. |
健康就是财富,用汉斯罗斯林的话说就是 |
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
|
You get wealthier faster if you are healthy first. |
首先要健康才能更快的致富。 |
So, here we are, mission. Big trouble. |
所以,我们在做义诊,但有很大的困难。 |
Open-heart surgery in Nigeria -- big trouble. |
尼日利亚的开胸手术--很困难。 |
That's Mike, Mike comes out from Mississippi. |
那是麦克,麦克刚结束在密西西比的义诊。 |
Does he look like he's happy? |
他看上去快乐吗? |
It took us two days just to organize the place, but hey, you know, we worked on it. Does he look happy? |
光是整理这个地方就用了我们两天的时间,但是,瞧啊, 我们致力于此,但他看起来高兴吗? |
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
|
Yes, that's the medical advice the committee chairman says, "Yes, I told you, you weren't going to be able to, you can't do this, I just know it." |
是的,这是委员会主席提出的医疗建议, ’是的,我已经告诉过你,你根本做不了, 你干不了,我确定。‘ |
committee:n.委员会;
|
Look, that's the technician we had. So yes, you go on, all right? |
看,那就是我们的技工。那么,你来接着干,怎么样? |
technician:n.技术员;技师;(艺术、体育等的)技巧精湛者;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I got him to come with me -- anesthesia tech -- come with me from the U.K. |
我说服他跟我一起来的。麻醉技术,和我一起从英国来的。 |
anesthesia:n.麻醉;麻木(等于anaesthesia);
|
Yes, let's just go work this thing out. |
让我们一起解决问题。 |
See, that's one of the problems we have in Nigeria and in Africa generally . |
看,那通常是我们在尼日利亚和在非洲遇到的问题。 |
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
|
We get a lot of donated equipment. |
我们得到了许多捐助的设备。 |
donated:v.捐赠,赠送;献(血);捐献(器官);(donate的过去分词和过去式)
|
Equipment that's obsolete , equipment that doesn't quite work, or it works and you can't fix it. And there's nothing wrong with that, so long as we use it and we move on. |
过时的设备,不怎么好用的设备。 或者是能用但没法修理。这种现象没什么不对的, 只要我们还能用它,我们就能继续前进。 |
obsolete:adj.废弃的;老式的;n.废词;陈腐的人;vt.淘汰;废弃; so long as:adv.只要;
|
But we had problems with it. We had severe problems there. |
但我们有困难,我们有很严重的问题。 |
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的;
|
He had to get on the phone. This guy was always on the phone. |
他必须要打通电话,这个家伙总是在讲电话。 |
So what we going to do now? |
那么我们现在该怎么办呢? |
It looks like all these Americans are here and yes, one Brit, and he's not going to do anything -- he thinks he's British actually, and he's actually Nigerian, |
看上去所有的美国人都在这 对,还有一个英国人,他不打算做任何事, 他觉得他是英国人,事实上他是尼日利亚人, |
I just thought about that. |
我就是那么觉得。 |
We eventually got it working, is the truth, but it was one of these. Even older than the one you saw. |
我们最终会让这个机器工作,这是一定的, 但它只是其中一件,甚至比你看到的这个还要老, |
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
The reason I have this picture here, this X-ray, it's just to tell you where and how we were viewing X-rays. |
之所以要给出这张照片,这张x光片, 就是想告诉你我们是在哪儿,以及如何观察x光片的。 |
Do you figure where that is? It was on a window. |
看出是在哪儿了吗?是在窗户上。 |
I mean, what's an X-ray viewing box? Please. |
拜托,难道不是有x光片机吗? |
Well, nowadays everything's on PAX anyway. |
现在做所有事都能用PAX。 |
You look at your X-rays on a screen and you do stuff with them, you email them. But we were still using X-rays, but we didn't even have a viewing box! |
你在屏幕上看x光片,然后进行诊断, 然后将结果用邮件发送出去。但我们还在用x光 但我们甚至没有x光片机! |
And we were doing open-heart surgery. |
我们正在做开胸手术。 |
OK, I know it's not AIDS, I know it's not malaria, but we still need this stuff. Oh yeah, echo -- this was just to get the children ready and the adults ready. |
我知道那不是艾滋,不是疟疾, 但我们仍然需要这个 这只是想让孩子们准备好,大人们准备好。 |
echo:vt.反射;重复;vi.随声附和;发出回声;n.回音;效仿;
|
People still believe in Voodoo . Heart disease , |
还有人相信伏都教--心脏病, |
Voodoo:n.伏都教(一种西非原始宗教);伏都教徒;vt.施伏都巫术迷惑;adj.伏都教的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
VSD, hole in the heart , tetralogies. |
心室中隔缺损,心脏里的洞,四联症。 |
hole in the heart:n.先天性心室间隔穿孔;
|
You still get people who believe in it and they came. |
还是有人相信科学,他们来检查 |
At 67 percent oxygen saturation , the normal is about 97. |
氧饱和度是67%,正常是97%。 |
saturation:n.饱和;色饱和度;浸透;磁化饱和;
|
Her condition, open-heart surgery that as she required, would have been treated when she was a child. |
她的情况,她所要求的开胸手术, 当她是个孩子时就该治疗了。 |
We had to do these for adults. So, we did succeed and we still do. |
我们还得为大人做。我们确实成功了,因此我们还在做。 |
We've done three. We're planning another one in July in the north of the country. So, we certainly still do open-heart, but you can see the contrast between everything that was shipped in -- we ship everything, instruments . We had explosions because the kit was designed and installed by people who weren't used to it. |
我们已经做过三次,正准备在7月 在这个国家的北部再做一次。因此我们当然还在做开胸手术, 但你们能看出装运前后所有东西都有差别 我们什么都要运输,设备会爆炸 因为制作安装设备的人以前不是做这个的。 |
contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比; instruments:n.器械;仪器;器具;手段(instrument的复数) explosions:n.[力]爆炸;爆发(explosion的复数);怒气大作; kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备; installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式)
|
The oxygen tanks didn't quite work right. |
氧气瓶不太好用。 |
But how many did we do the first one? 12. |
但我们第一次就做了几个手术?12个。 |
We did 12 open-heart surgical patients successfully. |
我们成功地做了12例开胸手术。 |
surgical:adj.外科的;外科手术的; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
|
Here is our very first patient, out of intensive care, and just watch that chair, all right? |
这是我们的第一位病人,刚从重症监护室里出来, 看看那张椅子,好吗。 |
This is what I mean about appropriate technology . |
这就是我所指的恰当的科技。 |
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
That's what he was doing, propping up the bed because the bed simply didn't work. |
那就是他正在做的,把床垫高,因为这张床根本不能用。 |
propping:v.支撑;(prop的现在分词)
|
Have you seen one of those before? |
你们以前看过这种情景吗? |
No? Yes? Doesn't matter, it worked. |
没有?看过?没关系,那样做很管用。 |
I'm sure you've all seen or heard this before: "We, the willing, have been doing so much with so little for so long -- |
我肯定你以前已经看过或听过。 我们,心甘情愿,已经用这么简陋的条件做了这么多事并且坚持了这么久, |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
- we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." |
我们现在不用任何条件就能做任何事。 |
qualified:adj.有资格的; v.合格; (qualify的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
Thank you. Sustainable Solutions -- this was my first company. |
谢谢。这是我的第一家公司--Sustainable Solutions -- |
Sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
|
This one's sole aim is to provide the very things that I think are missing. |
它的唯一目的就是提供我觉得需要的任何东西。 |
So, we put my hand in my pocket and say, "Guys, let's just buy stuff. |
所以我们把手放进口袋里,说:“各位,我们尽情的买东西吧。” |
Let's go set up a company that teaches people, educates them, gives them the tools they need to keep going." |
我们创立一个公司来传授知识,教育人们 给予他们前进所需的工具吧。 |
And that's a perfect example of one. |
那是一个完美的例子。 |
Usually when you buy a ventilator in a hospital, you buy a different one for children, you buy a different one for transport . This one will do everything, and it will do it at half the price and doesn't need compressed air. |
通常当你在医院里买呼吸机时 你会为孩子买一个不同的, 买一个能运输的。这个能做任何事, 只要一半的价钱,还不需要压缩空气。 |
ventilator:n.通风设备;换气扇;[医]呼吸机; transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放; compressed:adj.(空气或气体)压缩的; v.(被)压紧; (compress的过去式和过去分词)
|
If you're in America and you don't know about this one, we do, because we make it our duty to find out what's appropriate technology for Africa -- what's appropriately priced, does the job, and we move on. Anesthesia machine: multi-parameter monitor, operating lights, suction . |
如果在美国,你不会知道这个,我们知道, 因为这是我们的义务去发现 对非洲人来说什么是适合的科技--就是用适当的价格 就能工作,因此我们继续研究。麻醉机, 多参数监护仪,手术灯,抽吸装置。 |
appropriately:adj.适当地;合适地;相称地; suction:n.吸;吸力;抽吸;
|
This little unit here -- remember your little 12-volt plug in the car, that charges your, whatever, Game Boy, telephone? |
这个小部件,像不像你们车上12伏的插头 给像game boy ,手机之类的充电用的? |
plug:n.插头;塞子;栓;v.塞住;用插头将与电源接通;
|
That's exactly how the outlets are designed. |
端口就是这样设计的。 |
outlets:n.出路;销售点;排水口;批发商点(outlet的复数形式);
|
Yes, it will take a solar panel . Yes a solar panel will charge it. |
是的,它会带上太阳能板,是靠太阳能充电, |
solar panel:n.太阳能电池板;
|
But if you've got mains as well, it will charge the batteries in there. |
但如果你也有电源,就在这里给电池充电。 |
batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数)
|
And guess what? We have a little pedal charger too, just in case . |
猜猜还有什么?我们还设计了踏板充电器,以防万一。 |
pedal:v.踩踏板;骑车;n.踏板;脚蹬子;adj.脚的;脚踏的; charger:n.充电器;军马;袭击者;委托者;控诉者; just in case:以防万一;作为准备;
|
And guess what, if it all fails, if you can find a car that's still got a live battery and you stick it in, it will still work. Then you can customize it. |
还有,如果这些都不能用, 如果你能找到一辆车,电池还有电 把它插上,还是能用。然后就能定做了。 |
battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位; customize:vt.定做,按客户具体要求制造;
|
Is it dental surgery you want? General surgery you want? |
你想牙科手术用呢,还是一般的手术用? |
dental:n.牙医;[语]齿音;;adj.牙齿的;牙科的;齿音的;
|
Decide which instruments, stock it up with consumables . |
确定用哪种设备,和必需品一起储存 |
stock:n.股票; v.库存; adj.老一套的; consumables:n.[经]消耗品,消费品;耗材(consumable的复数形式);
|
And currently we're working on oxygen -- oxygen delivery on-site . |
目前我们在研究氧气。现场供给氧气。 |
currently:adv.当前;一般地; delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; on-site:adj.现场的;
|
The technology for oxygen delivery is not new. |
氧供给技术并不是新技术。 |
Oxygen concentrators are very old technology. What is new, and what we will have in a few months, I hope, is that ability to use this same renewable energy system |
制氧机是很老的技术,新的是 并且我希望几个月后能拥有的 是使用可再生能源系统的能力 |
renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源;
|
to provide and produce oxygen on site. Zeolite -- it's not new -- zeolite removes nitrogen from air and nitrogen is 78 percent of air. |
来现场提供制造氧气。沸石--这并不新奇-- 沸石能去掉空气中的氮气,而氮气占空气的78%。 |
Zeolite:n.沸石; nitrogen:n.氮;氮气;
|
If you take nitrogen out, what's left? Oxygen, pretty much. |
把氮气去掉,剩下什么?氧气,很多的氧气。 |
So that's not new. What we're doing is applying this technology to it. |
所以这并不新奇,我们要做的就是将这种技术运用到其中。 |
applying:v.申请,请求;使用;应用;(apply的现在分词)
|
These are the basic features of my device , or our device. |
这些是我的也是我们的装置的基本特点。 |
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
|
This is what makes it so special. |
这就是特别的地方。 |
Apart from the awards it's won, it's portable and it's certified . It's registered , the MHRA -- and the CE mark, for those who don't know, for Europe, is the equivalent of the FDA in the U.S. |
除了它获得的奖以外, 它还可手提,得到认证,被注册过的,有MHRA 和CE标志,可能有人不知道,这在欧洲等同于 美国的FDA。 |
portable:adj.便携式的;手提的;轻便的;n.便携机;(尤指)手提电脑; certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词) registered:adj.登记过的;记名的;挂号的;v.登记;注册;(register的过去式和过去分词) equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
|
If you compare it with what's on the market , price-wise, size-wise, ease of use, complexity ... |
如果和市场上的商品对比,价格更便宜, 大小更合适,使用方便,更加复合性。 |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; on the market:上市;出售的; complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
|
This picture was taken last year. |
这张照片是去年拍的。 |
These are members of my graduating class, 1986. |
这些是我1986年毕业班的同学。 |
It was in this gentleman's house in the Potomac , for those of you who are familiar with Maryland . |
这是在波托马克,这位先生的家里, 熟悉马里兰州的人也许知道。 |
Potomac:n.波拖马可河(美国河名); familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; Maryland:n.马里兰(美国州名);
|
There are too many of us outside and everybody, just to borrow a bit from Hans -- Hans Rosling, he's my guy -- if the size of the text represents what gets the most attention, |
我们人太多都在屋外, 引用汉斯--汉斯罗斯林的话,他是我崇拜的人-- 如果篇幅代表了什么得到了最多的关注, |
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
|
it's the problems. But what we really need are African solutions that are appropriate for Africa -- looking at the culture, looking at the people, looking at how much money they've got. |
那就是问题。但我们真正需要的是非洲的解决方案 即适用于非洲的,看看他们的文化 看看人民,看看他们挣得那点钱。 |
African people, because they will do it with a passion , I hope. |
非洲人民,因为他们带着激情,(我希望如此), |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
|
And lots and lots of that little bit down there, sacrifice . |
还有那里的许多许多的牺牲。 |
sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献
|
You have to do it. Africans have to do it, in conjunction with everyone else. |
你们必须那么做。非洲人民必须做, 其他人也要联合起来。 |
in conjunction with:连同,共同;与…协力;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(观众鼓掌) |