|
|
SevernCullisSuzuki_2020T-_面对气候问题请言出必行_-
|
(Video) Severn Cullis-Suzuki: I am here to speak for all generations to come. |
我在这里为后代发声。 |
I am here to speak on behalf of the starving children around the world whose cries go unheard . |
我在这里代表世界各地正挨饿的儿童发言, 因为他们的哭声没有被听到。 |
I'm here to speak for the countless animals dying across this planet because they have nowhere left to go. |
我在这里是为在地球上死去的 无数动物而发言, 因为它们无处可去。 |
speak for:要求得到;代表…讲话; on behalf of:代表;为了; unheard:adj.听不到的;未被倾听的;不予理睬的; countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
|
(Video) SCS: I am afraid to go out in the sun now because of the holes in our ozone . |
由于我们臭氧中的空洞, 我现在害怕在阳光下外出。 |
I'm afraid to breathe the air, because I don't know what chemicals are in it. |
我不敢呼吸空气, 因为我不知道其中包含着什么化学物质。 |
I used to go fishing in Vancouver , my home, with my dad, until just a few years ago, we found the fish full of cancers . |
我曾经和父亲一起 去我位于温哥华的家乡钓鱼, 直到几年前, 我们发现这种鱼都患上了癌症。 |
ozone:n.[化学]臭氧;新鲜的空气; chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数) Vancouver:n.温哥华(加拿大主要港市); cancers:n.癌; (Cancers是cancer的复数)
|
SCS: A generation ago, I was that 12-year-old child. |
一代人以前,我就是那个 12 岁的孩子。 |
In 1992, I had five minutes to speak to the UN's Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. |
1992 年,我有五分钟的时间 在里约热内卢举行的 联合国地球峰会上发言。 |
My friends and I had started an environmental club, and we'd traveled to this huge international meeting about environment and development to tell the adults they had to change their ways. |
我和我的朋友们 成立了一个环境俱乐部, 我们参加了关于环境与发展的 大型国际会议, 告诉成年人他们必须改变自己的方式。 |
Summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点;
|
That same year 1,700 scientists would issue the World Scientists' Warning to Humanity to tell us that humans and the natural world were on a collision course. |
同年,有 1700 名科学家 发布了《世界科学家对人类的警告》, 告诉我们人类与自然界 正在碰撞。 |
Much like Greta Thunberg and her peers today, we believed that decision-makers should be acting on science and facts. |
就像今天的格蕾塔·桑伯格 (Greta Thunberg)和她的同僚一样, 我们认为决策者们 |
And the facts were telling us that we were headed for ecological collapse . |
而事实告诉我们, 我们正走向生态崩溃。 |
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; Humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; collision:n.抵触;碰撞(或相撞)事故; peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式); ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
|
(Video) SCS: All this is happening before our eyes, and yet we act as if we have all the time we want and all the solutions. |
所有这一切都在我们的眼前发生, 但我们的作为让人觉得我们还有 大把的时间和所有的解决方案。 |
SCS: Back then, climate change had been identified , but we had yet to really feel it. |
当时,人们已经认识到了气候变化, 但我们还没有真正感受到它。 |
Today, almost 30 years later, climate change is no longer a prediction . |
在将近 30 年后的今天, 气候变化已不再是一个预言。 |
It is here, and it happened far faster than even the experts predicted . |
就在当下,它发生的速度甚至比 |
We did not stop it. |
我们没能阻止它。 |
identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) prediction:n.预报;预言; predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式)
|
Today the work that we must do is about mitigation , trying to limit how bad it gets. |
今天,我们必须做的工作是去缓解, 试图抑制它的恶化程度。 |
In 2015, in Paris, the world agreed to limit the planet's warming to one and a half degrees Celsius , as beyond that would pose too great a threat to human life. |
2015 年,在巴黎,世界同意将 全球变暖控制在摄氏 1 度半。 超过这个限制 将对人类生命构成更大的威胁。 |
mitigation:n.减轻;缓和;平静; Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度; pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势;
|
To meet this, we will have to cut our global emissions by half in the next 10 years. |
为了实现这一目标, 我们必须在未来十年内,将全球排放量减少一半。 |
(Video) SCS: I'm only a child and I don't have all the solutions, but I want you to realize neither do you. |
我只是一个孩子, 我没有所有的解决方案, 但是我知道我希望 您也意识到您也没有解决方案。 |
SCS: Young people are always at the frontlines of any revolution . |
年轻人永远都站在 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) frontlines:前线(frontline的名词复数); revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
And it's young people who ask me, "What did your speech actually do? |
是年轻人问我, 您的演讲实际上改变了什么? |
Why didn't the delegates actually listen?" |
代表们为什么不听呢? |
Well, looking back, |
回想起来, |
I think that the delegates of the conference actually did listen, not just to me, but to the thousands of voices calling for change. |
我认为会议的代表确实听了,他们不仅听了我, 还听了成千上万呼吁变革的声音。 |
If you look at the declarations , the documents that came out of Rio, they are radical . |
如果您看一下里约热内卢的宣言、文件 它们很激进。 |
delegates:n.代表(delegate的复数);v.选举…为代表;委托职责(delegate的三单形式); conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) declarations:n.[法]声明(declaration的复数); radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
|
They include the UN's Framework Convention on Climate Change set up to stabilize greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere and prevent dangerous interference with the climate system. |
其中包括《联合国气候变化框架公约》, 旨在稳定大气中温室气体的浓度 并防止对气候系统的危险干扰。 |
Twenty-three years before the Paris Agreement, 154 countries signed this legally binding international agreement. |
在《巴黎协定》签署前的 23 年, 有 154 个国家签署了 这项具有法律约束力的国际协定。 |
(Video) SCS: I'm only a child, yet I know we are all in this together and should act as one single world towards one single goal. |
我只是个孩子, 但我知道我们都在一条船上, 应该为实现一个目标而团结一致。 |
Convention:n.习俗;惯例;协定;常规; stabilize:vt.使稳固,使安定;vi.稳定,安定; greenhouse gas:n.温室气体(尤指二氧化碳); concentrations:n.关注点;[土壤]浓聚物(concentration的复数); atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; interference:n.干扰,冲突;干涉; binding:v.结合; n.(书籍的)封皮; adj.必须遵守的; (bind的现在分词)
|
SCS: So, why didn't the world take action? |
那么,世界为什么不采取行动? |
Instead, governments focused on growing the economy , on business interests and of course, winning the next election. |
取而代之的是, 政府着重于经济增长, 商业利益, 当然还要赢得下届选举。 |
It shows a crisis in human governance , where our political systems make it impossible to act in long-term interests for the people and future generations. |
它显示了人类治理的危机, 在这种危机中,我们的政治制度 使人们无法为人民和子孙后代谋取长远利益。 |
Today it's 2020. |
现在是 2020 年, |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; on business:为了公事,出差; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; governance:n.管理;统治;支配; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
|
Again we have the momentum . |
我们再次有了动力。 |
We have the Paris Agreement to limit the Earth's warming. |
我们拥有《巴黎协定》, 以控制地球的变暖。 |
We have youth and social justice demands. |
我们有青年和社会正义的诉求, |
We have calls for divestment . |
我们呼吁撤资, |
We have calls for climate emergencies . |
我们呼吁应对气候危机。[04:38] |
momentum:n.势头;[物]动量;动力;冲力; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; divestment:n.脱衣;剥夺(财产);转让部分投资; emergencies:n.突发事件;紧急情况;(emergency的复数)
|
We have the science, we have the solutions and we all are experiencing climate change. |
我们有科学,我们有解决方案, 而且我们所有人都在经历气候变化。 |
We are at a moment parallel to Rio. |
我们此时又到了另外一个里约时刻。 |
Now is the time to take action. |
现在是采取行动的时候了。 |
(Video) SCS: If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it. |
如果您不知道如何解决, 那么就请停止破坏它。 |
SCS: How do we ensure that this time we act on our words? |
我们如何确保这次我们能说到做到? |
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
|
History has shown us that in moments of crisis, society can truly transform . |
历史向我们表明,在危机时刻, 社会可以真正改变。 |
We've seen this in times of war, in times of economic collapse and in times of disease . |
我们在战争时期已经看到了这一点, 在经济崩溃和疾病时期。 |
Today, we live in the time of COVID-19. |
今天,我们生活在新冠疫情的时代。 |
We've seen governments and institutions across all sectors working quickly, working together. |
我们已经看到了 各个领域的政府和机构 迅速响应,共同协作。 |
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) sectors:n.部门; v.把…划成扇形;
|
Humans like to think that we're in control of everything, but we have been reminded today that the laws of nature are the true bottom line . |
人们乐于认为我们可以控制一切, 但是今天的一切提醒了我们 自然定律才是真正的底线。 |
We've been reminded that science and expertise are crucial to our survival . |
我们开始意识到科学和专业知识对我们的生存至关重要。 |
COVID-19 has shone a light on inequity and revealed our prejudiced infrastructures . |
新冠疫情揭露了不平等现象, 并揭示了我们带有偏见的基础架构。 |
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) bottom line:n.底线;归根结底;账本底线,盈亏一览结算线; expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见; crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; inequity:n.不公平,不公正; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) prejudiced:adj.偏见的;带成见的;偏爱的;偏心的;v.使怀有偏见;(prejudice的过去式) infrastructures:n.[建]基础设施;下部构造;基本建设(infrastructure的复数);
|
It is a warning. |
这是一个警告, |
If we don't listen, if we don't change, next time could be far worse. |
如果我们不听,如果我们不去改变, 下一次可能会更糟。 |
(Video) SCS: My dad always says, "You are what you do, not what you say." |
我父亲总是说, 代表你的是你所为,而非你所言。 |
Well, what you do makes me cry at night. |
好吧,你所做的让我在晚上哭泣。 |
You grown-ups say you love us, but I challenge you, please, make your actions reflect your words. |
你们大人总说爱我们,但我向你们挑战, 我请求您们言行一致。 |
SCS: That last sentence summarizes my entire speech at Rio. |
最后一句话总结了 我在里约热内卢的全部讲话。 |
Please, make your actions reflect your words. |
我请求各位言行一致。 |
Today, I'm a mother, I have two little boys. |
今天我成了母亲,我有了两个小男孩。 |
Parents, I'm speaking to you. |
父母们,我在与你们说话。[06:42] |
grown-ups:n.成人(grown-up的复数形式); reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达; summarizes:v.概述;简而说明;摘要而言(summarize的第三人称单数);
|
Our generation is determining the lives of our children. |
我们这一代人 正在决定我们孩子的生活。 |
We have 10 years where we can still make a difference . |
我们有十年的时间仍可以有所作为。 |
We have 10 years to cut our emissions by half. |
我们有十年的时间将排放量减少一半。 |
The way to truly love our children is to make our actions reflect our words. |
真正爱我们孩子的方法 是言出必行。 |
determining:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;支配;裁决;(determine的现在分词) make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
Now it's time to get to work. |
现在是时候该行动了。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |