返回首页

SerenaWilliams_2017-_关于网球、爱和为人母_

Gayle King: Have a seat, Serena Williams, or should we say, have a seat, mom. 盖尔·金:请坐,塞琳娜·威廉姆斯, 或者我该说,请坐,孩子他妈。
(Cheers) (欢呼声)
So no doubt, you guys are like me. 毫无疑问,你们跟我一样。
You saw the release of Serena in that great yellow bathing suit last week and when I saw it, all I could think of was, "Gosh, why couldn't she have waited til we sat onstage for TED?" 你们都看到了上周赛琳娜的照片, 她穿着那件好看的黄色泳衣。 当我看到那张照片时,我就想, “天啊,她就不能等 来了TED之后再发吗?”
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; bathing suit:泳衣; onstage:adj.台上的;台上演出的;adv.上台;上场;
I was very selfish, I know. 我这样很自私,我知道。
So I asked you about that picture, and you said nobody was supposed to see that picture. 所以我问了你关于这张照片的事, 你说本来应该没有人 能看到这张照片的。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
What do you mean? 为什么这么说呢?
Serena Williams: Well, actually, it was an accident. SW:这其实是个意外。
I was on vacation, just taking some time for myself, and I have this thing where I've been checking my status and taking pictures every week to see how far along I'm going -- 我本来在度假,享受属于自己的时间, 我一直在记录自己的变化, 每周拍一些照片,看自己的变化。
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
GK: And sharing it with friends, maybe? GK:可能还和朋友们分享一下是吗?
SW: No, actually I have just been saving it, and I didn't really tell a lot of people, to be quite honest, and I'd been saving it, and you know how social media is, you press the wrong button and -- SW:不,其实并没有, 我只是自己保存起来。 其实我并没有告诉很多人, 说实话, 我只是存在手机里, 你也知道这些社交软件, 你按错一个键,然后——
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
(Laughter) (笑声)
GK: And there it was. GK:然后就发出来了。
SW: So 30 minutes later -- my phone doesn't ring that much -- and 30 minutes later, I missed like four calls, and I'm like, that's weird , and then I picked it up and I was like, oh no. SW:30分种以后—— 我的电话平常不怎么响—— 30分钟以后, 我大概错过了4通电话, 我就觉得,有点奇怪啊, 然后我拿起手机,哦,天哪……
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
But it was a good moment. 但这一刻是美好的。
I was gonna wait literally just five or six more days -- that's OK. 我本来也就准备再等个5、6天 ——所以没关系。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
GK: I know, because it was weird, Serena, because it only said 20 weeks, so it's not like there was a whole lot of information on it. GK:我知道,很奇怪。 赛琳娜,因为上面只写了20周, 所以并没有流露出很多信息。
SW: Exactly, so that's what I've been doing all this time. SW:没错,我一直就是这么做的。
I've been just tracking it. 仅仅是进行记录而已。
tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词)
18, 19 -- every week I'd just take a picture and save it, and I've been so good about it, and this was the one time that I slipped . 18周,19周——每周 我都会拍张照片然后保存起来, 本来一切都很顺利, 就这一次我手滑了。
slipped:adj.打滑的;v.滑倒;滑落;脱落;(slip的过去分词和过去式)
GK: There you go. Well, congratulations. GK:就发出来了。好吧,恭喜你。
SW: Yes, thank you. SW:是的,谢谢。
GK: It really is OK. When you heard the news, were you excited? Were you afraid? Were you worried? GK:其实挺好的。 当你得知这个消息时, 你是兴奋?害怕?还是有点担心?
That you were pregnant , I mean. 我是说对于怀孕这件事。
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
SW: So I heard it two days before the beginning of the Australian Open, which is one of the biggest grand slams . SW:我是在澳大利亚网球公开赛 开始的2天前得知的, 澳网是大满贯中最重要的比赛之一。
slams:砰然声;批评,猛击;
GK: You found out two days before? GK:你在比赛前2天才知道?
SW: Yeah, so it was two days before, and I knew. SW:没错,还有2天就要比赛了, 然后我知道了。
I was nervous. 我很紧张。
I wasn't quite sure what to think, but I just knew that at that moment it was really important for me to just focus right there at the Australian Open, and I was definitely not sure what to do. 我不知道该怎么反应, 但我知道在那一刻, 对我来说真正重要的,是集中精力 打好澳网公开赛, 但我完全不知道该怎么做。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
I was like, can I play? 我当时想,我能打比赛吗?
I know it's very dangerous, maybe, sometimes in the first 12 weeks or so, so I had a lot of questions. 我知道开始的12周可能会很危险, 所以我很不放心。
GK: But not only did you play, Ms. Williams, you won. GK:但你不仅参加了比赛, 威廉姆斯女士,你还夺冠了。
(Cheers) (掌声)
SW: Yeah. SW:没错。
May I just say, 23 grand slams to you. 容我说一句,你拿到了 23个大满贯冠军。
SW: Thank you. SW:谢谢你。
(Applause) (掌声)
GK: While pregnant! GK:在你怀孕的时候!
SW: Well, I was looking for another handicap , so ... no. SW:嗯,我这是故意增加难度。
handicap:n.障碍;不利条件,不利的因素;vt.妨碍,阻碍;使不利;
GK: Did you play differently that game, knowing you were pregnant? GK:知道自己怀孕了, 你比赛会打得有什么不一样吗?
SW: I did. It wasn't very easy. SW:是的。这并不容易。
You hear all these stories about people when they're pregnant, they get sick and they get tired. 你听过大家说怀孕后的感觉, 会觉得恶心,感到疲惫。
GK: Have you had morning sickness ? GK:你早上会觉得恶心想吐吗?
morning sickness:n.(孕妇)晨吐;
SW: No, I've been so fortunate and so I haven't. SW:我运气不错,早上没有想吐过。
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
But they get really tired and they get really stressed out, and I had to really take all that energy, put it in a paper bag, so to say, and throw it away, because I really felt like I didn't have time 但很多人说自己很累,压力很大, 我不得不接受这些负能量, 放进一个纸袋里,打个比方, 然后扔掉。 因为我没有时间
to deal with any extra emotions , any extra anything, because pregnant or not, no one knew, and I was supposed to win that tournament as I am every tournament that I show up. 来处理额外的情绪,或者任何事情, 因为怀孕与否,没有人知道, 而我应该赢下那场锦标赛, 我去参赛就是为了赢的。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) tournament:n.锦标赛,联赛;比赛;
I am expected to win, and if I don't win, it's actually much bigger news. 大家也对我寄予厚望, 如果我输了,反倒是更大的新闻。
GK: Yeah, when you don't win, that's a big story. GK:没错,如果你输了, 确实是个大新闻。
SW: Yes, so for me, I had to really take anything negative and any emotions that I was feeling at that point and kind of just bottle them up and really figure out what the next step for me to do was. SW:是的,所以对我来说, 我不得不把所有的负能量, 和在那一刻我所有的情绪, 都封存起来, 然后好好想清楚下一步要怎么做。
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
GK: You have a lot of support. You have a lot of love. GK:你有很多的支持者,大家都爱你。
Even when I was coming here, people stopped me at the airport . 我来这儿的时候, 人们还在机场堵住我。
airport:n.机场;航空港;
I was saying to the flight attendant , the pilot, "Guess where I'm going?" 我跟空乘人员还有飞行员说: “你们猜我要去哪儿?”
flight attendant:n.空中乘务员;机上乘务员;
They said, "Oh my God, we're so glad she's pregnant." 他们说:“天哪,我们 真高兴她怀孕了。”
But then you always have these cranky Yankees . 在路上有人跟我说起 伊利耶·纳斯塔塞,
cranky:adj.暴躁的;古怪的;动摇的; Yankees:扬基债;
On the way over here, somebody was telling me about Ilie Nastase, who said some very unkind , inappropriate , dare I say racial things. 他说了一些很不友好的,不合适的, 甚至带有种族歧视的话,
unkind:adj.无情的;不仁慈的,不厚道的; inappropriate:adj.不适当的;不相称的; racial:adj.种族的;人种的;
You have responded to him. 你还回应了他。
responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
I'm not even going to dignify what he said, but you responded. Why did you respond? 我根本不屑理会他, 但是你回应了。为什么呢?
dignify:vt.使高贵;增威严;授以荣誉;
SW: Well, I think there are very inappropriate comments, and not only that , I've been really supportive of my peers and the people that I've worked with. SW:我认为有一些很不合适的言论, 不仅如此,我一直很支持我的同胞 和那些与我共事的人。
only that:只是;要不是; supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的; peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式);
I've been a pro for almost 20 years, and so for me, it's really important to hold women up, and it's something that these young women, they'll come to the locker room , they'll want to take pictures with me, and for me, it's just like, 我成为职业运动员已经快20年了, 对我来说,支持女性非常重要。 当一些年轻的女孩 来到更衣室想和我合影, 对我来说,
locker room:n.更衣室;
I want to be able to be a good leader and a good example for them. 我想成为一个优秀的领导者, 给他们树立一个好榜样。
So not only -- 所以不仅……
(Applause) (掌声)
Not only did he have rude things to say about me and my peers, 他不仅对我和我的同胞 说了无礼的话,
I felt it was important for us to stand up for each other and to stand up for myself. 我觉得我们应该为了彼此, 为了自己勇敢站出来。
stand up for:支持,坚持;拥护;
And at that point it was really important for me to say, like, I'm not afraid, I'm not going anywhere, but this is inappropriate, and there's time and there's a place for everything. 这时候我站出来说话很重要, 我并不害怕,我不会离开 但是你这样说不合适, 任何事都要讲究时间和场合。
And that really wasn't the time and the place. 那些话真是不合时宜。
GK: We cut the part where you said you're not going anywhere, because you'll be 36 in September. Baby's coming, 36. GK:刚刚你说你不会离开,
And your coach said age is always important, but in tennis it's very important, but he has no doubt that you're coming back. 你的教练说年龄永远都很重要, 对于网球来说格外重要, 可是他完全确信你会回来。
Have you thought, am I coming back? 你有想过,自己会不会回到球场?
Will I take some time off? 我要不要休息一下?
I know the women on the tour are saying, " How long does it take to have a baby? Two years will she be gone?" 我知道公开赛的女选手们在说, “怀孕生孩子要多久? 她会离开2年时间吗?”
How long does it take:需要多长时间?;
What are you thinking? 你是怎么想的呢?
SW: Well, I'm always trying to defy the odds , you know, so for me everything is really mental . SW:我一直都在努力战胜困境, 对我而言,一切都取决于信念。
defy:vt.藐视;公然反抗;挑衅;使落空;n.挑战;对抗; odds:n.几率;胜算;不平等;差别; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者;
I definitely plan on coming back. I'm not done yet. 我肯定准备回归, 我还不想退役。
I'm really inspired by my sister. 我的姐姐鼓舞着我。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
She's a year older than me, and that's something that -- if she's still playing, I know I can play. 她比我还大一岁,所以说, 只要她还在打球,那我也能打。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And there's so many -- Roger Federer, he's a little bit older than me and he's still winning everything, so I'm like, I know I can do that too. 还有那么多运动员,罗杰·费德勒, 他也比我大一点, 他还在不停拿冠军, 我觉得我也可以做到。
Roger:n.罗杰;[男名]男子名;int.明白;v.与某人性交;
So that's been so inspiring to me, especially recently , and I know that it's something I want to do. 这一切都鼓舞着我, 尤其是最近一段时间, 我知道这是我想做的事。
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; recently:adv.最近;新近;
And my story is definitely not over yet. 我的故事还远远没有结束。
I was talking to my coach about it, and we were talking about how this is just a new part of my life, and my baby's going to be in the stands and hopefully cheering for me, not crying too much. 我和我的教练聊起过这件事, 这是我生活里新的一部分, 我的孩子会在观众席上, 但愿他会为我加油, 而不是一直在哭。
GK: No, you wrote a beautiful letter to your baby yesterday that you said -- from the oldest mommy to the youngest one, to the oldest, to the youngest, I can't wait for you to get here. GK:你昨天还给你的孩子 写了一封非常优美的信, 你说——从最年老的母亲, 到最年轻的母亲, 最年老的,最年轻的, 我等不及要见到你的降临。
A lot of people feel that. 很多人都有同样的感受。
I saw you about a year ago, because I think about your life, Serena. 我一年前见到你, 塞琳娜,我在思考你的人生。
You've had three life-changing things in a six-month time: pregnant, huge win, fell in love. 你在6个月之内经历了 3次足以改变人生的事情: 怀孕,捧杯,还收获了爱情。
life-changing:改变人生的;
And when I saw you last year, 我去年见到你的时候,
I was saying, "How's your love life? Da da da." 我问你,“你的爱情生活怎么样?”
You said, "I met a guy. He's a nerdy , kinda geeky guy. 你说:“我遇见了一个人, 有点宅,像个书呆子,
nerdy:adj.书呆子式的;n.令人厌烦的人; geeky:adj.(俚)令人讨厌的;
You won't know who he is." 你不认识他。”
I said, "What's his name?" 我问:“他叫什么名字?”
SW: I remember talking to you about that, yes. SW:我记得和你的这段对话,是的。
GK: And you said, "Alexis Ohanian." I said, "I know him!" He's awesome . GK:然后你说:“亚历克西斯·瓦尼安。” 我说:“我认识他!他棒极了。
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
But I would never put you with a nerdy geek, and you said, you neither. 但我从未想过 你会跟一个宅男在一起, 然后你说,你也没想到。
SW: I'm going to be honest with you, I didn't either, but it's been the best thing for me. SW:说实话,我确实没有想到, 但这是我遇到的最美好的事。
GK: The best thing why? GK:为什么这么说?
Does that look like a nerdy geek? 他看起来不像个宅男吗?
Look at the shirt. 看他穿的衬衫。
(Laughter) (笑声)
No, he's a very nice guy. 不,他是个很好的人。
SW: You can tell he's into technology . SW:你能看出来他很热爱科技。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
GK: He's a very, very nice guy. GK:他是个非常非常好的人。
I like him very much. 我很喜欢他。
So how did he succeed when others have failed? 他是怎么打动你的?
How was he the one that you knew, this is the one for me? 你是怎么确定,他就是那个对的人?
SW: Well, I'm not going to say that, but ... SW:好吧,我可没这么说, 但是……
(Laughter) (笑声)
GK: Say it, Serena, say it! GK:说吧,塞琳娜,告诉我们!
SW: Well ... SW:这个……
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes. 他就是。
(Applause) (掌声)
GK: But you know what I mean. GK:你知道我的意思。
SW: He is very loving and he's very kind, and my mom says he's very considerate , and when she said that to me, SW:他充满爱心,非常善良, 而且我妈妈觉得他很体贴, 当她跟我说这话的时候,
considerate:adj.体贴的;体谅的;考虑周到的;
I was like, you know, he really is, and it's the little things that really make a huge difference in life. 我心想,没错,他就是这样的人。 从一些小事就能看出来, 让我们的生活变得很不一样。
GK: Like? GK:比如呢?
SW: Something simple. SW:很简单的事情。
My fashion company, we have a show every year, so in our show last year, I was running around like crazy , because I do everything for the show, and everything for it, so I was running around like crazy , 我的时装公司, 每年都会办一场秀, 去年办这场秀的时候, 我忙疯了,到处跑, 因为所有的一切都是我操办的, 我倾尽全力, 上蹿下跳,
like crazy:拼命地;发疯似的;
and he, it was a simple gesture of this shirt that he had, and he just wanted to make sure that I had the same one, and it was -- it's a weird story. 然后他,就是拿着他的衬衫, 做了一个很简单的动作, 他就是希望我也有一件一模一样的, 就是……这故事有点怪。
gesture:n.手势;姿势;示意动作;表示;v.做手势;用手势表示;
It was better in person, I promise. 如果你当时在场会更美好,真的。
GK: Was it a wonderful proposal ? GK:求婚很美好吗?
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
Or was it a Beyoncé song? 还是像碧昂斯的歌?
'"If you like it then you ought to put a ring on it"? “你喜欢她就要给她戴上戒指”?
Were you feeling pressure to get married? 你当时有感受到结婚的压力吗?
Did you know it was coming? 你事先有预感会发生什么吗?
SW: Yeah, I actually never felt pressure to get married and I can't say I'm the marrying type of person. SW:我其实从来没有过结婚的压力, 而且我不是那种结婚成家的人。
I really love my life. 我很热爱我的生活,
I love my freedom. 热爱我的自由。
I heard that kind of changes. 我听说婚姻会改变这一切。
But I love everything that I do, and I love my career , and I always felt like I didn't want anything to interfere with that. 但我热爱我做的事情。 我不希望任何事情来干扰这一切。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; interfere:v.干涉;干预;介入;
I've actually been so career-oriented and in fact, when he proposed , 我一直都是以事业为重的。 事实上,当他求婚的时候,
career-oriented:adj.与将来的事业相关的; proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式)
I was almost angry. 我差点生气了。
Not almost. I was angry, because it was right in the middle of my training season, and I said, "I gotta win the Australian Open. 不是差点,我就是生气了, 因为那时候我正处在训练期, 我说:‘“我要赢下澳网公开赛。
I can't fly to Rome." 我不能去罗马。”
Because he wanted to take me to Rome, and I said, "I can't. I gotta win." 因为他想带我去罗马, 我说:“不行,我要打比赛。”
But that's how focused I was. 我当时就是这么目标明确。
GK: This is a girl that says, "No, I can't go to Rome." OK. GK:这姑娘居然说 “不,我不能去罗马”。
SW: But I was really focused on reaching my goals and I knew at that point there was one player that I wanted to pass. SW:我当时真的非常 专注于自己的目标, 当时我非常想超越一名选手。
I wanted to pass Steffi Graf 's record, and that really meant a lot to me, and when I put my mind to something, 我想打破施特菲·格拉芙的记录, 这对我来说意义非凡。 当我对某件事投入精力的时候,
Graf:n.伯爵;
I really am determined to reach it no matter what . 我就会竭尽全力达到目标, 无论如何都要达到。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) no matter what:不管什么…;
GK: You know, you said that for you -- GK:我记得你曾经说过,
I've heard you say that winning is addictive to you. 获胜让你上瘾。
addictive:adj.使人上瘾的;使人入迷的;
SW: It is. SW:没错。
GK: What do you mean? GK:为什么这么说呢?
SW: I feel like winning for me is superaddictive. SW:赢得比赛的感觉很让我上瘾。
I feel like once you experience it, you always want to get that feeling again, and when I won my first championship , I was only 17 years old, but I never forgot that feeling, and I feel like every time I win one, 只要你赢过一次, 你就再也无法摆脱 想再赢一次的想法, 我第一次获得冠军的时候只有17岁, 但是我永远忘不了那种感觉, 每次我赢得比赛的时候,
championship:n.锦标赛;冠军称号;冠军的地位;
I want to reach that feeling of your first championship. 我都想重温第一次赢得冠军的感觉。
There's really no feeling in the world like that. 世上没有任何一种感受能与之相比。
And it's like, all these years of training and being a little kid and playing, and then winning is a wonderful experience. 你训练了那么多年, 从很小就开始打网球, 最后终于获胜,那感觉棒极了。
So for me I've always felt like I loved that feeling, and obviously I don't like the feeling of losing. I feel like -- 所以我一直都热爱这种感觉, 显然我不喜欢输。我觉得……
GK: No, in fact, people close to you say you're a very bad loser. GK:不仅如此,你身边的人 都说你是个输不起的人。
SW: I'm not the best loser. SW:我是有点输不起。
GK: That you're very, very, very bad. GK:不,他们说你非常非常输不起。
Listen, no athlete , no champion likes to lose. 我明白,没有运动员, 或者冠军会喜欢输。
athlete:n.运动员,体育家;身强力壮的人;
I get that. 这个我懂。
But they say when it comes to losing, you are very, very, very bad at it. 但是他们说你输球的时候, 你会非常,非常,非常的输不起。
(Laughter) (笑声)
SW: I'm number one at losing too, so you know, that's all I can say. SW:好吧,我输球也是第一, 我只能这么说。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
GK: I'm always curious about the dynamic between you and Venus , because everybody that knows you and has followed the story knows that you two are very close, GK:我一直都很好奇 你和维纳斯之间的关系, 因为所有认识你的人,关注你的人, 都知道你们的关系非常亲密,
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; Venus:n.[天]金星;维纳斯(爱与美的女神);
and you always bring your A game in whatever you do, but I often wonder, when you're playing her, do you bring your A- game because you want to do something for her or do you bring your A++ game because you want to crush her. 你无论做什么 都竭尽全力做到100分, 但我经常想, 当你和她对阵的时候, 你会只做到80分,让着她, 还是会做到120分,彻底击垮她?
crush:v.压碎;弄皱,变形;使…挤入;n.粉碎;迷恋;压榨;拥挤的人群;
Is it harder for you playing her or easier? 和她比赛对你来说 是更难还是更容易了?
SW: Well, playing Venus is like playing myself, because we grew up playing each other, we grew up practicing together. SW:和维纳斯打球 就像在和我自己打球, 因为我们是一起打着球长大的, 从小就一起练习。
And it was something that has been difficult, because she's my toughest opponent . 和她打球一直都很难, 因为她是我最强的对手。
opponent:n.对手;竞争者;反对者;阻止者;adj.反对的;
She's tall, she's fast, she hits hard like me, she serves like me. 她个子高,速度快, 她像我一样大力击球, 像我一样发球。
It's really like playing a wall. 感觉就像在对着墙打球。
GK: She knows you. GW:她了解你。
SW: She knows where I'm hitting the ball before I hit it, so it's something that is not very easy, but it's really about, when I go out there, SW:在我打到球之前 她就知道我会往哪儿打, 所以跟她打球很不容易, 因此当我走上球场的时候,
I really have to shut down my mind and I have to say to myself, "You know what? 我必须排除杂念,对自己说, “你知道吗?
I'm just playing a great player, but today I have to be better. 我面对的是一位伟大的球员, 但我今天要做得更好。
I don't care who it is, if it's my sister or it's my friend, today is the day I have to show up and I have to be better and I have to want it more than anyone else at this moment anywhere on this world." 我不管对手是谁, 是我姐姐还是我的朋友, 今天是我表现的日子, 我必须做到更好, 这一刻我必须比任何人 都更渴望胜利。”
GK: So never on the court do you fall back for Venus? GK:所以你从没有在球场上 为了维纳斯退缩过?
Because, you know, it was always Venus and Serena. 因为你知道,本来 维纳斯和塞琳娜差不多。
SW: Yes. SW:是的。
GK: And now baby sister has surpassed older sister. GK:现在妹妹超过了姐姐,
surpassed:v.超过,凌驾(surpass的过去分词形式);
Do you feel guilt about that? 你会觉得愧疚吗?
Do you feel joy in that? 还是觉得很开心?
Is that a difficult position for you? 会不会让你陷入困境?
SW: I don't feel anything in there. SW:我没有任何这种感觉。
In my life, it still and forever is always going to be Venus and Serena. 在我的生命中, 维纳斯和塞琳娜永远是一体的。
She's really love of my life, she's my best friend, she's my soul mate . 她是我的挚爱,最好的朋友, 我的灵魂伴侣。
mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
I mean -- 我的意思是——
There's pictures of her pushing me, really low-quality pictures or else I would have shared them, of her pushing me in a stroller on a tennis court, and she always took care of me. 有一些照片,她用小推车推着我, 拍得很模糊,否则我早就发到网上了, 她在网球场上用小推车推着我, 她一直都照顾着我。
stroller:n.散步者;流浪者;(美)折叠式婴儿车;巡回演出的演员;
I used to spend all of my allowance money on the ice cream truck and stuff , and she would take her money and give it to me at school and make sure I had something to eat and she would go without, and that's the kind of person she actually is since I've always known her. 我以前把零花钱全都花在 冰激凌和其他零食上, 她就会在学校里把她的钱给我, 确保我有东西吃,而她自己却没有, 她就是这样的人, 从我认识她那天起。
allowance:n.津贴;补贴;免税额;限额;v.给…发津贴;按定量供给; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
So we always have this incredible respect for each other and this incredible love, and I think it's important for people to realize you can be successful but you can still have a wonderful relationship. 所以我们对彼此都非常尊重, 也非常地爱对方。 我觉得对一个人来说, 相信自己会成功, 同时还能保持良好的关系非常重要。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
On the court we are mortal enemies, but the second we shake hands, we are best friends again. 在球场上我们是宿敌, 但是在我们握手的一刹那, 我们又是最好的朋友了。
mortal:adj.凡人的;致死的;终有一死的;不共戴天的;n.人类,凡人;
And if I lose, it might be a day later for me, but for Venus -- 如果我输了,当然 这肯定是很久以后的事, 但是对维纳斯——
(Laughter) (笑声)
GK: There's never a time on the court where you hit the ball and say, "That's for seventh grade when you did the blah blah blah"? GK:赛场上就没有一次, 你击球的时候想, “这是报复你七年级 的时候做的什么什么事?”
blah:n.废话;空话;瞎说;int.废话;
You never have any moment like that? 你有没有这么想过?
SW: I feel like she should have those moments, because she's never done anything bad to me, but I'm the youngest. I'm the younger sister. SW:我觉得她可能这么想过, 因为她从来没对我做过什么坏事, 但我年纪最小,我是妹妹。
GK: Serena, she's never done anything bad to you? Really? GK:塞琳娜从来没欺负过你?真的?
I have three sisters. I can think of some stuff I've done bad. 我有三个妹妹, 我可没少欺负过她们。
SW: Unless she brainwashed me to forget them. SW:除非她给我洗脑让我忘记了。
brainwashed:v.给(某人)洗脑;强制说服;(brainwash的过去分词和过去式)
GK: No, but the love you have for her I know is very pure. I know that. GK:不,但是你对她的爱 非常的纯粹,我知道。
SW: Yes. GK: I know that. SW:是的。 GK:我知道。
SW: We were always brought up to be superclose , and we are incredibly close. SW:我们一起长大, 我们非常亲密。
superclose:超逼近; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
Not only her. 不仅是她,
I have three other sisters as well, and we were always so close. 我还有其他三个姐妹, 我们一直都很亲近。
GK: So before a big match, the two of you don't get together and say, look, we're going to go out there and -- there's nothing? GK:那在一场重要比赛之前, 你们两个人会不会, 比如一起走进球场,不会那样吗?
get together:聚会
SW: Well, it's funny. Before the Australian Open, we were in the locker room together, and I always pick on her, so I pulled out my camera while she was changing. 我们一起在更衣室里, 我总是逗她,在她换衣服 的时候拿出了相机。 我总是逗她,在她换衣服 的时候拿出了相机。
I started taking pictures of her, which is totally inappropriate, but she was so mad at me. 开始给她拍照, 这事儿很不对, 然后她就很生我的气,
She's like, "Serena, stop!" And I was just laughing at her. 她说:“塞琳娜,停下!” 但我一直在笑她。
But that's the kind of relationship that we have, and like I said, the second we step on the court, it was like, we were definitely mortal enemies, but the second we stepped off, and moments before, we're just -- 但这就是我们的关系,像我刚刚说的, 在走上赛场的那一秒, 我们就成为彼此的宿敌, 但当我们走下赛场的那一秒, 我们就恢复了老样子,
It is what it is, because at the end of the day, she'll always be my sister. 因为无论如何, 她永远都是我姐姐。
I'm not going to play Australia in -- 也许再过几年我就不打澳网了,
Well, who knows, I've been playing forever, but I don't think I'll be playing in 50 years, say? 谁知道呢,我好像一直在打比赛, 但50年后,我总不可能还在打吧?
Let's be safe and say 50 years. 保险起见,就说50年吧。
GK: I don't know, Serena. There's never been anybody like you. GK:我不知道,塞琳娜, 从来没有人和你一样。
When you think about it, never been anybody who has intersected gender and race the way you have, the dominance that you have and the scrutiny that you have. 你想想,从来没有任何人, 像你一样超越了种族和性别, 你的统治地位,还有你的被关注度,
intersected:adj.分割的;v.分割(intersect的过去分词);交叉;横穿; gender:n.性别; dominance:n.优势;统治;支配; scrutiny:n.详细审查;监视;细看;选票复查;
And when you were growing up, did you say, "I want to be like that"? 在你成长过程中, 你想过“我要变成这样”吗?
Because now little girls are looking at you saying, "I want to be like that." 因为现在的小女孩们看着你, 都在说“我想像她一样”。
Who was the "I want to be like that" for you? 对你来说,谁是那个 “我想像他一样”的人?
SW: Well, it's interesting, and I'm glad you brought that up. SW:恩,很有趣, 我很高兴你提起了这个。
For me, when I grew up, I always wanted to be the best, and I said, if you want to be the best, you've got to emulate the best. 对我来说,在我成长的过程中, 我一直都想做最好的, 我觉得,如果你想做最好的, 你得向最好的人学习。
emulate:vt.仿真;模仿;尽力赶上;同…竞争;n.仿真;仿效;
So when I started to go on tour when I was really young, 所以当我很年轻的时候 就参加巡回赛,
I would see Steffi Graf, I would see Monica Seles, and I would even see Pete Sampras, and I would see what they did, and I noticed that Steffi and Monica didn't really talk to a lot of the other players, and they kind of were on their own, and they were just so focused 我见到施特菲·格拉芙, 我见到莫妮卡·塞莱斯, 我甚至见到皮特·桑普拉斯, 我会看他们是怎么做的, 然后我注意到施特菲和莫妮卡 不会过多地谈论其他球员, 她们只专注于自己, 心无旁骛。
and I would see Pete Sampras, the technique that he did, and I was like, "I want to do that." 我看到了皮特·桑普拉斯的技术, 我就想,“我也想做到这样。”
technique:n.技巧,技术;手法;
So I did that, and I felt that to be the best, and if you want to be the best, you have to hang around people and you have to look at people that are the best, because you're not going to be the best if you're looking at someone that's not at the top level. 然后我就去做了,我感觉要做到最好, 想成为最好的那个人, 你就必须靠近最好的人, 观察他们,学习他们, 因为如果你不向最好的学, 你也很难成为最好的。
hang around:闲荡;徘徊;
GK: People say nobody works as hard as you. GK:人们说没有人像你一样努力。
SW: I'm a very hard worker. GK: That's what I heard. SW:我是非常努力的人。 GK:我是这么听说的。
SW: People say, "Oh, she's talented, she's athletic ." SW:人们说,“她很有天赋, 很适合做运动员。”
athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的
Actually, I wasn't. I was really small for my age. 其实我天赋并不好。 我和同龄人比很矮小。
I grew up when I got older, and I had to work really hard, and I think one of the reasons why I fight so hard and I work so hard is because I was really, really, really small. 我年纪大一点了才开始长高, 我必须非常努力。 我觉得我这么努力拼搏的原因之一 是我真的,真的,真的很矮小。
GK: Yeah. GK:没错。
You are no longer small. 但是你现在一点也不矮小了。
SW: No, I'm fully grown now. SW:对,我已经长大了,
But I was small when I was really young for whatever reason. 但不知道为什么, 我小时候就是小个子。
I think Venus maybe ate all the Wheaties. 我觉得可能是因为 麦片都让维纳斯吃掉了。
GK: You know, the other thing people talk about is your body. GK:你知道吗,人们经常讨论的 另一件事就是你的身体。
Your body brings men and women to their knees. 你的身体让男人和女人都为之倾倒。
And I mean in a good way. 我的意思是这是件好事。
A lot has been made about your body. 对你身体的评价有很多,
It's a work of art , it's masculine , it's glorious , there's never been anything like it. 像一件艺术品, 肌肉发达,美妙绝伦, 从没有人像你一样。
work of art:艺术品; masculine:adj.男性的;阳性的;男子气概的;n.男性;阳性,阳性词; glorious:adj.光荣的;辉煌的;极好的;
Did you have body issues when you were growing up? 你成长过程中有过什么身材问题吗?
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Have you always been comfortable with your body? 你一直都很满意自己的身材吗?
SW: It's interesting, because when you're a teenage female growing up in the public eye, it is a lot of scrutiny that you face, and as any female that's a teenager, SW:这件事很有趣, 当你是个小女孩的时候, 在关注中长大, 你会面对很多关注。 像其他少女一样,
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
I definitely was not comfortable in my body. 我肯定是不满意自己身材的。
I didn't like it. 我不喜欢。
I didn't understand why I had muscles . 我不明白我为什么有肌肉。
muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数);
And I stopped lifting weights. 然后我就不再做力量练习。
I was like, I'm not going to do this. 我不想练了。
But then after I won the US Open, 但是后来我赢了美国公开赛。
I realized that my body helped me reach goals that I wanted to reach, and I wanted to be happy with it, and I was so appreciative of it. 我意识到,是我的身体 帮助我达到了我的目标, 我为之开心, 也很感激我的身体。
appreciative:adj.感激的;赏识的;有欣赏力的;承认有价值的;
I'm always healthy. 我一直都很健康。
I'm really fortunate and superblessed, and I felt like not only am I happy with my body, but I want other people and other young girls that have experienced what I've experienced to be happy with themselves. 我非常幸运,非常有福气, 我不止对我的身材很满意, 我还希望其他人,其他年轻女孩子, 那些和我有过同样经历的人, 也能为自己的身体感到高兴。
So whatever people say -- masculine, whatever, too much, too little -- 所以不要管别人说什么, 肌肉发达或是别的,太壮,太瘦,
I'm OK with it as long as I love myself. 都无所谓,只要自己爱自己就够了。
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
(Applause) (掌声)
GK: I know you learn a lot from winning, but what have you learned from losing? GK:我知道你从获胜中学到了很多, 但是你从失败中学到了什么?
SW: I hate to lose, but I think losing has brought me here today. SW:我很讨厌失败,但是我觉得 是失败让我今天站在这里。
The only reason I am who I am is because of my losses, and some of them are extremely painful , but I wouldn't take any of them away, because every time I lose, it takes a really long time for me to lose again because I learn so much from it. 我之所以成为今天的我, 完全是因为我经历的失败, 其中有些还非常的痛苦, 但我不会选择绕开它们, 因为每当我失败一次, 再到下一次失败就要过很久, 因为我从中学到了很多。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
And I encourage everyone that I talk to -- 所以我鼓励身边的所有人,
I'm like, listen, if you lose or if something happens -- not in sports -- in business or in school -- learn from it. 听着,如果你失败了, 或者其他什么事情发生了, 不光在体育中—— 在事业上或者学业上—— 从中学习。
Don't live in the past, live in the present, and don't make the same mistakes in the future. 不要活在过去,要活在当下, 以后不要再犯同样的错误。
That's something that I always try to live by. 这是我在生活中 一直在努力做到的事情。
GK: Now you're planning a wedding and I want to know, is it a destination wedding in the Catskills or Poconos or are you going to do it in Florida? 我想知道,会是一场旅行结婚 去卡兹奇山或者波科诺山, 还是你准备在佛罗里达结婚? 去卡兹奇山或者波科诺山, 还是你准备在佛罗里达结婚?
Poconos:波克诺山(位于宾夕法尼亚州东部);
What are you thinking? 你是怎么想的?
Big or small? 大型还是小型的?
SW: We're thinking medium size. We don't want to do too big, but then we're like, OK, we can't say no to this person, this person. SW:我们想办一个中型的, 我们不想弄得太盛大。 但是我们想,我们不能拒绝这个人, 必须邀请那个人。
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
So we're thinking medium size and we're just thinking -- 所以我觉得中等规模吧,
My personality is a lot of fun. Hopefully you can see that today. 我的个性是很有趣的, 但愿你今天能感受到。
personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色;
I'm not too serious. 我不是个很严肃的人。
GK: And you like to dance. GK:而且你还喜欢跳舞。
And the next chapter for Serena Williams is what? 那塞琳娜·威廉姆斯 的下一篇章是什么呢?
SW: Oh, next for me. SW:嗯,接下来。
Obviously I'm going to have a baby and I'm going to stay fit and kind of come back and play tennis and keep working on my fashion line. 很显然我会生一个宝宝, 我要保持身材,要回来继续打网球, 然后继续我的时尚公司。
That'll be really fun. 这会很有趣的。
GK: Do you know if it's a boy or girl? GK:你知道是男孩还是女孩了吗?
SW: I don't. I have a feeling of one or the other. SW:我不知道,但我有点感觉。
It's a 50-50 chance, but I have a feeling. 几率是一半一半啦,但是我有感觉。
GK: Gayle is a unisex name. GK:没事,盖尔这个名字男女通用。
unisex:adj.男女皆宜的;
Whatever you and Alexis decide, we are cheering you on! 不管你和亚历克西斯怎么决定, 我们都会为你欢呼!
SW: Thank you for that. GK: You're welcome. SW:谢谢。 GK:不客气。
We are cheering you on, Serena Williams. SW: Thank you so much. 我们在为你欢呼,塞琳娜·威廉姆斯。 SW:非常感谢。
Thank you guys. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)