返回首页

SasaVucinic_2005G-_投资新闻自由_

Video: Narrator : An event seen from one point of view gives one impression . (影像:旁白:同一个事件,从一个角度看 让人产生一种印象。
Narrator:n.讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员; point of view:观点;见地;立场; impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想;
Seen from another point of view, it gives quite a different impression. 从另一个角度看,又让人产生一种完全不同的印象。
But it's only when you get the whole picture you can fully understand what's going on. 但只有看到整个画面,才能了解 全部真相。)
Sasha Vucinic: It's a great clip , isn't it? 沙沙维基尼:非常好的一个短片,是不是?
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
And I found that in 29 seconds, it tells more about the power of, and importance of, independent media than I could say in an hour. 我发现这个短片在29秒内所表达的 独立媒体的威力和重要性 比我讲一个小时的话还要有力。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
So I thought that it will be good to start with it. 所以我认为今天的演讲以它开头很恰当。
And also start with a little bit of statistics . 下面我们来看一些统计数据。
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
According to relevant researchers, 83 percent of the population of this planet lives in the societies without independent press. 据有关研究表明,这个星球上83%的人口 生活在没有独立媒体的社会中。
According to:根据,据说; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
Think about that number: 83 percent of the population on the whole planet does not really know what is going on in their countries. 仔细想想这个数字:这个星球上83%的人 并不知道他们的国家里究竟在发生什么事。
on the whole:基本上,大体上;就全体而论;
The information they get gets filtered through somebody who either twists that information, or colors that information, does something with it. 他们得到的信息已经被别人 以歪曲事实、添油加醋、或其他方式 过滤了。
filtered:v.过滤;(用程序)筛选;缓行;(filter的过去分词和过去式) twists:n.[力]扭曲,一扭(twist的复数形式);v.[力]扭曲,拧(twist的三单形式);
So they're deprived of understanding their reality. 就这样,他们被剥夺了了解事实的权利。
deprived:adj.缺少食物的;缺乏足够教育的;
That is just to understand how big and important this problem is. 以上说的这些让我们了解了这个问题有多大、多重要。
Now those of you who are lucky enough to live in those societies that represent 17 percent, I think should enjoy it until it lasts. 那么在座的各位中生活在另外那17%的社会里的, 希望你们在独立媒体尚存的时候好好珍惜。
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
You know, Sunday morning you flick the paper, get your cappuccino . 星期日早晨,你翻开报纸,品着咖啡,
flick:v.轻弹;忽然摇动;轻轻拂去;n.弹开;快速的轻打;轻打声; cappuccino:n.热牛奶咖啡;(意)卡普齐诺咖啡;
Enjoy it while it lasts. 在它尚存时好好珍惜。
Because as we heard yesterday, countries can lose stars from their flags, but they can also lose press freedom, as I guess Americans among us can tell us more about. 这么说是因为我们昨天听说了,一个国家不仅能丢掉她国旗上的星星, 还能丢掉新闻自由, 我想我们中间的美国朋友们就此有很多话要讲。
But that's totally another and separate topic. 那完全是另一个话题了。
So I can go back to my story. 所以现在回到我自己的故事。
My story starts -- the story I want to share -- starts in 1991. 我要讲的故事始于1991年。
At that time I was running B92, the only independent, for that matter the only electronic media in the country. 那时我在办B92,是整个国家唯一的独立、 甚至是唯一的电子媒体。
electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的;
And I guess we were sharing -- we had that regular life of the only independent media in the country, operating in hostile environment, where government really wants to make your life miserable . 我想那时我们的处境——我们过的是一个国家里 唯一独立媒体司空见惯的生活——政府非制你于悲惨境地中不可, 这样一个敌对的环境下。
hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子; miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
And there are different ways. 他们运用各种方式,
Yeah, it was the usual cocktail : a little bit of threats, a little bit of friendly advice, a little bit of financial police, a little bit of text control. 也就是那些惯用伎俩: 一点儿威胁,一点儿友善建议, 一点儿经济管制,一点儿文字控制。
cocktail:n.鸡尾酒;开味食品;n.混合物;adj.鸡尾酒的; financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
So you always have somebody who never leaves your office. 所以总有这么一个人从不离开我们的办公室。
But what they really do, which is very powerful, and that is what governments in the late '90s started doing if they don't like independent media companies -- you know, they threaten your advertisers . 但是他们真正做的一件很有威力的, 也就是90年代后期那些政府开始做的一件事,就是 如果他们不喜欢独立媒体公司, 他们就威胁你的广告客户。
advertisers:n.广告商(advertiser的复数形式);
Once they threaten your advertisers market forces are actually, you know, destroyed, and the advertisers do not want to come -- no matter how much does it makes sense for them -- do not want to come and advertise. 一旦他们威胁你的广告商, 市场力量实际上就被毁害了, 不管那些广告商有多少理由应该来, 他们都不愿再来刊登广告了。
market forces:n.市场调节作用;市场力量;
And you have a problem making ends meet. 这下你的生计就出问题了。
At that time at beginning of '90s, we had that problem, which was, you know, survival below one side, but what was really painful for me was, remember, beginning of the '90s, Yugoslavia is falling apart. 当时在90年代初期,我们遇到的难题 一方面是生存, 但最让我痛心的是我以下要讲的。 大家记得,90年代初,南斯拉夫正在瓦解。
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
We were sitting over there with a country in a downfall , in a slow-motion downfall. 我们在一旁观望一个国家垮台, 慢动作一般的垮台。
downfall:n.垮台;衰败;落下;大雨; slow-motion:adj.缓慢的;慢动作的;高速度摄影的;
And we all had all of that on tapes. 我们把这一切都录了下来。
We had the ability to understand what was going on. 我们有能力了解整个事件的过程。
We were actually recording history. 其实就是在纪录历史。
The problem was that we had to retape that history a week later; because if we did not, we could not afford enough tapes to keep archives of that history. 问题是一周后,我们要重录历史, 因为如果不重录,我们买不起足够的录像带 将那段历史存档。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; archives:n.档案;档案馆;v.把…存档;(archive的第三人称单数和复数)
So if I gave you that picture, I don't want to go too long on that. 我只想给大家一个概况,不在说这件事上多费时间。
In that context a gentleman came to my office at that time. 在那样一个背景下,一位先生来到我的办公室。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
It was still 1991. 当时还是1991年。
He was running a media systems organization which is still in business, the gentleman is still in business. 那位先生在经营一家媒体管理机构, 这个机构现在还有生意,这位先生也还有生意。
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
And what did I know at that time about media systems? 当时我哪懂什么媒体管理啊?
I would think media systems were organizations , which means they should help you. 我认为既然是媒体管理机构, 就应该帮助我们。
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
So I prepared two plans for that meeting, two strategic plans. 我为同先生的会议制定了两个战略方案:
strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的;
The small one and the big one. 一个小方案,一个大方案。
The small one was, I just wanted him to help us get those damn tapes, so we can keep that archive for next 50 years. 小方案是:我就想让他帮我们 把那些该死的录像带弄到手, 好让我们把完整的档案存放50年。
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
The big plan was to ask him for a one million dollar loan. 大的方案是找他要一百万元的贷款,
Because I thought, I still maintain that serious and independent media companies are great business. 因为我当时——直到现在也仍然认为 严肃的独立媒体是很有潜力的企业。
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见);
And I thought that B92 will survive and be a great company once Milosevic is gone, which turned out to be true. B92一定会存活下去,而且一旦米洛舍维奇下台 (后来确如我所料),B92就会成为一家优秀的企业。
It's now probably, either the biggest, or the second biggest media company in the country. 现在B92恐怕不是那个国家最大 也是第二大的媒体公司了。
And I thought that the only thing that we needed at that time was one million dollar loan to take us through those hard times. 我当时认为我们唯一需要的就是 一百万块钱带我们度过难关。
To make a long story short , the gentleman comes into the office, great suit and tie. 长话短说,这位先生来到了我们的办公室, 很漂亮的西服领带。
make a long story short:长话短说,简而言之;总之;
I gave him what I thought was a brilliant explanation of the political situation and explained how hard and difficult the war will be. 我给了他我当时认为是很精彩的一番阐述: 政治气候多恶劣,战争 会多艰难。
Actually, I underestimated the atrocities , I have to admit. 现在想起来,我当时还低估了暴行的残忍程度呢。
underestimated:v.低估;对…估计不足;轻视(underestimate的过去分词和过去式) atrocities:n.暴行(atrocity的复数);残忍;
Anyway, after that whole, big, long explanation, the only question he had for me -- and this is not a joke -- is, are we paying royalties after we broadcast music of Michael Jackson? 总之,一番长篇阐述之后, 他问的唯一一个问题是——我说的可不是笑话—— 我们广播迈克尔·杰克逊的歌是否要交 版权费?
royalties:n.版税;稿酬(royalty的复数形式); broadcast:v.广播; n.广播节目; adj.[无线]播音的;
That was really the only question he had. 这确实是他问的唯一一个问题。
He left, and I remember being actually very angry at myself because I thought there must be an institution in the world that is providing loans to media companies. 我记得他走后我很生我自己的气 因为我觉得这个世界上肯定有一个给媒体公司 提供贷款的机构。
institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
It's so obvious , straight in your face , and somebody must have thought of it. 这个主意太显而易见了, 一定有人已经想到了。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; in your face:挑衅;咄咄逼人的;
Somebody must have started something like that. 一定有人已经开启了这类的先例。
And I thought, I'm just dumb and I cannot find it. 我当时想:我这么笨,找不到这样的一个机构的。
dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的;
You know, in my defense, there was no Google at that time; you could not just Google in '91. 不过我也有辩词:当时没有谷歌; 91年不能用谷歌搜索。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
So I thought that's actually my problem. 所以我当时认为是我本身有问题。
Now we go from here, fast forward to 1995. 从这里开始,快放到1995年。
I have -- I left the country, I have a meeting with George Soros, trying for the third time to convince him that he should -- his foundation should invest in something that should operate like a media bank. 我已经离开了那个国家。我要会面乔治·索罗斯, 这是我第三次力争说服 他的基金会投资一个类似 媒体银行的机构。
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说; foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
And basically what I was saying is very simple. 我说的大体很简单:
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
You know, forget about charity , it doesn't work; forget about handouts , 20,000 dollars do not help anybody. 忘掉慈善机构,行不通的; 忘掉捐款,两万块钱帮不了任何人。
charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物; handouts:n.讲义;宣传册子,宣传品(handout的复数形式);
What you should do is you should treat media companies as a business. 我们应该视媒体公司为商业机构。
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
It's business anywhere. 当今,商业无处不在。
Media business, or any other business, it needs to be capitalized . 媒体商业和其它商业一样,需要资本。
capitalized:v.用大写字母书写; (capitalize的过去式和过去分词)
And what these guys need, actually, is access to capital. 他们真正需要的是获取资本的途径。
So third meeting, arguments are pretty well exercised. 这第三次会面,我的论据摆的很彻底了。
At the end of the meeting he says, look, it is not going to work, you will never see your money back. 会面将结束时他说, “我跟你说,这个想法行不通,你的投资看不见回报。
But my foundations will put 500,000 dollars so you can test the idea. 但是我的基金会给你50万,让你验证这个主意。
foundations:n.基础;地基;基金会;粉底;(foundations是foundation的复数)
See and -- see that it will not work. 证明它不会成功。”
He said, I'll give you a rope to hang yourself. 他说,“我等于给了你一条上吊绳。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
I knew two things after that meeting. 会后我弄清了两件事。
First, under no circumstances I want to hang myself. 第一,不论怎样我都不会上吊。
under no circumstances:决不;
And second, that I have no idea how to make it work. 第二,我不知道如何将我的主意付诸现实。
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
You see, at the level of a concept, it was a great concept. 从理论的层面看,这是个很好的概念。
But it's one thing to have a concept, it's a totally separate thing to actually make it work. 但是有个好概念是一回事, 将其付诸事实又完全是另外一回事。
So I had absolutely no idea how that could actually work. 所以我完全不知道如何实际运作。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
Had the wrong idea, I thought that we can be a bank. 我最初的想法是错误的,以为我们可以成为银行。
You see banks, I don't know if there are any bankers over here, 你想想银行——不知道在座的有没有银行家,
I apologize in advance , but it's the best job in the world. 我提前道歉,银行家确实是世界上最好的工作了。
in advance:adv.预先,提前;
You know, you find somebody who is respectable and has a lot of money. 你找到一个有名望 又有钱的人。
respectable:adj.值得尊敬的;人格高尚的;相当数量的;n.可敬的人;
You give them more money; they repay you that over a time. 你给他更多的钱;他在一段时间内偿还给你。
repay:v.偿还;报答;报复;
You collect interest and do nothing in between. 在此期间,你什么都不做,只收利息。
So I thought, why don't we get into that business? 所以我当时想:我们为什么不做这种买卖呢?
(Laughter) (笑声)
So here we are having our first client , brilliant. 我们的第一个客户来了。很杰出——
client:n.[经]客户;顾客;委托人;
First independent newspaper in Slovakia . 斯洛伐克的第一家独立报社。
Slovakia:n.斯洛伐克(捷克斯洛伐克一地区);
The government cutting them off from all the printing facilities in Bratislava. 政府不允许他们在布拉迪斯拉发 任何一家印刷厂印刷。
facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数)
So here's the daily newspaper, that has to be printed 400 kilometers away from the capital. 这么一份日报 要在离首都400公里外印刷。
It's a daily newspaper with a deadline of 4 p.m. 一份每天下午4点发行的日报。
deadline:n.最后期限;截止日期;
That means that they have no sports, they have no latest news, circulation goes down. 这就意味着他们没有体育新闻, 没有最新报导。发行量下降。
circulation:n.流通,传播;循环;发行量;
It's a kind of very nice, sophisticated way how to economically strangle a daily newspaper. 这是一种非常漂亮高明的 从经济上扼杀一份日报的方式。
sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的; economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地; strangle:v.把…勒死;使…窒息;窒息而死;
They come to us with a request for a loan. 这家报社向我们寻求贷款。
They want to -- the only way for them to survive is to get a printing press . 目的就是要买一台印刷机——他们存活下去的 唯一出路。
printing press:n.印刷机;
And we said, there's -- that's fine, let's meet, you'll bring us your business plan, which eventually they did. 我们说,好啊,那咱们就会面吧, 你把你的业务计划拿来。他们最终倒是拿来了。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
We start the meeting. 我们的会面开始。
I get these two pieces of paper, not like this, A4 format, so it's much bigger. 我手里拿着两张纸,不是这样的纸,是A4的, 比这纸要大很多。
A lot of numbers there. A lot of numbers. 上面有很多数字,很多数字。
But however you put it, you know, the numbers do not make any sense. 但是不管你横竖怎么看,都看不懂 这些数字是什么意思。
And that's the best they could do. 他们只能做到这个程度。
We were the best that they could do. 他们真的只能做到这个程度。
So that is how we understood what our method is. 所以我们就这样明白了应该如何运作。
It's not a bank. We had to actually go into these companies and earn our return by fixing them -- by establishing management systems, by providing all that knowledge, how do you run a business on one side -- while they all know how to run, how to create content . 我们不是银行。我们必须进入 这些公司里去挣我们的回报, 解决他们的问题——建立管理系统, 提供商业运作的知识, ——而他们精通的是如何撰写报纸的内容。
establishing:v.建立;创立;设立;使稳固;(establish的现在分词) management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
Just quickly on the results. 简短的说一下我们的成绩。
Over these 10 years, 40 million dollars in affordable financing, average interest rate 5 percent to 6 percent. 10年内,4千万元可负担贷款, 平均利息5%到6%。
affordable:adj.负担得起的;
Lately we are going wild; we're charging 7 percent from time to time . 最近我们有些疯狂:有时候要7%的利息。
from time to time:不时,有时;
We do it in 17 countries of the developing world. 我们在17个发展中国家运作。
And here is the most stunning number. 下面是最惊人的数字。
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词)
Return rate -- the one that Soros was so worried about -- 97 percent. 回报率——也是索罗斯最担心的——97%。
97 percent of all the scheduled repayments came back to us on time. 97%还款按期回来了。
repayments:n.[金融]还款;偿还金额(repayment的复数);
What do we typically finance ? 我们一般融资给那些项目?
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
We finance anything that a media company would need, from printing presses to transmitters . 一个媒体公司所需要的任何东西, 从印刷机到发射机。
transmitters:n.信号传送器;传送者(transmitter的复数形式);
What is most important is we do it either in form of loans, equities , lease -- whatever is appropriate for, you know, supporting anybody. 最重要的是我们融资的形式—— 贷款、入股、或租赁—— 哪种形式适合你,我们提供哪种。
equities:n.股票(equity的复数);权益;股本;公平; lease:n.租约;租借矿区;租借合同;租借地;v.出租(土地);租借(土地);使分经; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
But what is most important here is, who do we finance? 但最最重要的是,我们给谁融资?
We believe that in the last 10 years companies that we've financed are actually the best media companies in the developing world. 我认为过去10年内我们融资的公司 是发展中国家里最好的 媒体公司。
That is a "Who is Who" list. 有这么一个“名人录”。
And I could spend hours talking about them, because they're all kind of heroes. 他们的故事我能讲几个小时, 因为他们在某种程度上都是英雄。
And I can, but I -- I'll give you just, maybe one, and depending on time I may give you two examples who we work with. 但是我就讲一个我们接触的例子, 如果时间允许,我可能讲给大家 两个例子。
You see we started working in Eastern and Central Europe, and moved to Russia. 我们起初在东欧和中欧运作, 然后搬到俄罗斯。
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒;
Our first loan in Russia was in Chelyabinsk. 我们在俄罗斯的第一份贷款是在车里雅宾斯克州。
I'll bet half of you have never heard for that place. 在座的一半恐怕根本没有听说过那个地方。
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
In the south of Russia there's a guy called 在俄罗斯南部,有一个叫
Boris Nikolayevich Kirshin, who is running an independent newspaper there. 鲍里斯·尼古拉耶维奇[语音不清]的人在那儿 办一份独立报纸。
The city was closed until early '90s because of all things, they were producing glass for Tupolev planes. 这个城市直到90年代初都是封闭的 因为他们恰巧给筒式[语音不清]飞机生产玻璃。
Anyway, he's running independent newspaper there. 总之,他在那儿办一份独立报纸。
After two years working with us, he becomes the most respected newspaper in that small place. 与我们合作两年后,他的报纸在 那个小城市声望最高。
Governor comes to him one day, actually invites him to come to his office. 有一天总督来找他, 哦,是请他去总督的办公室。
He goes and sees the governor. The governor says, 他去见总督。总督说:
Boris Nikolayevich, I understand you are doing a great job, and you are the most respected newspaper in our district. 鲍里斯·尼古拉耶维奇,我知道你的报办得很棒, 也是我们区域里最有声望的。
And I want to offer you a deal. 我想跟你作笔交易。
Can you please give me your newspaper for next nine months, because I have elections -- there are elections coming up in nine months. 今后九个月里,请你把报纸交给我办 因为九个月后 我有选举。
I will not run, but it's very important for me who is going to succeed me. 我不参选,但是很重视 由谁继任我。
So give me the paper for nine months, I'll give it back to you. 所以把你的报纸交给我九个月,我再还给你,
I have no interest in being in media business. 我没有兴趣长期待在媒体业里。
How much would that cost? 你出个价钱?
Boris Nikolayevich says, "It's not for sale." 鲍里斯·尼古拉耶维奇说:“我不卖。”
The governor says, "We will close you." 总督说:“我就把你关了。”
Boris Nikolayevich says, "No, you cannot do it." 鲍里斯·尼古拉耶维奇说:“你不能关。”
Six months later the newspaper was closed. 六个月后报社被关掉。
Luckily we had enough time to help Boris Nikolayevich take all the assets out of that company and bring him into a new one, to get all the subscription lists, rehire staff. 但幸好我们有足够的时间帮助鲍里斯·尼古拉耶维奇 把原来公司的资本挪到一个新的公司里, 把订阅名单弄到手,重新招聘雇员。
assets:n.资产;宝贵的人材;(一项)财物;资产;(asset的名词复数) subscription:n.捐献;订阅;订金;签署; rehire:vt.重新雇用;二次雇用;n.再雇用,二次雇用;
So what the governor got was an empty shell . 最后总督得到的只是个空壳。
shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill;
But that is what happens if you're in business of independent media, and if you are a banker for independent media. 在独立媒体业里干、当独立媒体业的银行家 就是这样。
So it sounds like a great story. 听起来这是个很了不起的故事。
Somewhere down the road we opened a media management center. 干了一段时间,我们开了一家媒体管理中心,
down the road:只要沿着这条路;将来;在路上;
We started our media lab, sounds like a real great story. 开创了一家媒体研究所。听起来真的很了不起。
But there is a second angle to that. 但是这个故事还有另外一个视角。
The second angle, like in this clip. 就像那个短片一样,另一个视角就是
If you take the camera above, you start thinking about these numbers again. 当你用摄像机俯视的时候,再想想 那几个数字。
40 million dollars over 10 years spread over 17 countries. 4千万元10年的时间再摊到17个国家里。
spread over:传遍,延续;遍布于…;
That is not too much, is it? 并不很多,是不是?
It's actually just a drop in the sea. 其实就是杯水车薪。
Because when you think about the importance, some of the issues that we were talking about last night -- this last session we had about Africa and his hypothetical 50 billion dollars destined for Africa. 因为当你考虑到问题的重要性时—— 昨晚我们讨论的一些问题, 比如上一轮关于非洲的演讲以及 其中假想的输送给非洲的500亿元。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会; hypothetical:adj.假设的;爱猜想的; destined:adj.注定的;命定的;去往…的;v.注定;(destine的过去式和过去分词)
All of those, not all, half of those problems mentioned last night -- government accountability , corruption , how do you fight corruption , giving voice to unheard , to poor -- it's why independent media is in business. 昨晚提到的所有问题,至少一半问题—— 政府问责制,腐败,如何反腐败, 给底层人、穷人说话的机会—— 这就是为什么独立媒体有市场,
accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性; corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落; unheard:adj.听不到的;未被倾听的;不予理睬的;
And it's why it was invented. 就是为什么当初独立媒体会诞生。
So from that perspective , what we did is just really one drop in the sea of that need that we can identify . 所以从这个角度看,独立媒体这么大市场 我们做的真是微不足道。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现:
Now ours is just one story. 我们的故事只是一个故事。
I'm sure that in this room there are, like, 15 other wonderful stories of nonprofits doing spectacular work. 我相信这间屋子里还有15个关于公益组织 大有作为的精彩故事。
nonprofits:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演;
Here is where the problem is, and I'll explain to you as well as I can what the problem is. 而这就是问题所在, 我尽我所能给大家解释问题到底是什么。
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
And it's called fundraising . 问题的名字叫筹资。
fundraising:n.筹款;募捐;
Imagine that this third of this room is filled with people who represent different foundations. 设想这间屋子这三分之一坐满了 各个基金会的代表。
Imagine two thirds over here running excellent organizations, doing very important work. 另外这三分之二在运作优秀的公益组织, 做着非常重要的工作。
Now imagine that every second person over here is deaf, does not hear, and switch the lights off. 再设想这边有一半人 耳聋,听不见,还在黑暗之中。
second person:n.第二人称;
Now that is how difficult it is to match people from this side of the room with people of that side of the room. 把屋子这边的人匹配给 屋子那边的人 的难度就是这样。
So we thought that some kind of a big idea is needed to reform , to totally rethink fundraising. 所以我们觉得要改革、重新思考筹资, 需要一个大创意。
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善; rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法;
You know, instead of people running in this dark, trying to find their own match, who will be willing, who has the same goals 以不至于人人在暗中 盲目寻找志同道合的 对象。
Instead of all of that we thought there is -- something new needs to be invented. 我们认为要发明一种新的筹资方式 来代替原来的方式。
And we came up with this idea of issuing bonds, press freedom bonds. 我们想出了发行债券的主意, 新闻自由债券。
issuing:n.发行物;争论点;期刊号;v.发行(issue的ing形式);分配;流出;
If there are investors willing to finance 如果有投资者愿给美国政府预算赤字
US government budget deficit , why wouldn't we find investors willing to finance press freedom deficit? 提供资金, 难道我们就找不到愿给“新闻自由赤字” 投资的人?
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; deficit:n.赤字;逆差;亏损;不足额;
We've decided to do it this fall; we will issue them, probably in denominations of 1,000 dollars. 我们已经决定了今年秋天就开始发行 估计是面值1000元的债券。
denominations:n.面额;名称;教派;
I don't want to advertise them too much, that's not the point. 我不想在这儿给债券做广告,这不是今天讲的要点。
But the point is, if we ever survive to actually issue them, find enough investors that this can be considered a success, there's nothing stopping the next organization to start to issue bonds next spring. 要点是,如果我们能存活到发行债券的那一天, 找到足够的投资者而使其成功, 就说不定另一个组织 明年春天开始发行债券。
And those can be environmental bonds. 可能是环保债券。
And then two weeks later, Iqbal Quadir can issue his electricity in Bangladesh bonds. 可能再过两个星期,伊卡柏·卡迪尔开始 在孟加拉国发行他的电力债券。
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
And before you know it, any social cause can be actually financed in this way. 不知不觉中,任何一项公益事业 都可以这样融资了。
Now we do daydreaming in 11:30 with 55 seconds left. 现在11:30我们还有55秒的时间做白日梦。
daydreaming:v.做白日梦(daydream的ing形式);空想;
But let's take the idea further. 我们把这个想法再推进一步。
You do it, you start it in the States, because it's, you know, concepts are very, very close to American minds. 我们在美国开始做这件事 因为这些概念很贴近美国人的思维方式。
But you can actually bring it to Europe too. 然而你完全可以把它带到欧洲去,
You can bring it to Asia. 带到亚洲去。
You can, once you have all of those different points, you can make it easy for investors. 当这些地方都在这样做的时候, 你可以把投资变得更简易。
Put all of those bonds at one place and they sit down and click. 把这些债券放在一起, 让投资者坐下来点击。
Once you have more than 10 of them you have to develop some kind of a matrix . 达到10种债券时 就得制定一些指标。
matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
What do investors get? 投资者获得的是什么?
On one side financial, on the other side social. 一方面是经济利益,一方面是对社会的影响。
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
So that brings the idea of some kind of rating agency , 由此产生了类似晨星的债券评级机构的
agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
Morningstar type. 想法。
It says, you know, social impact over here is spectacular, five stars. 比如说,某债券对社会影响力很强,给五个星。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Financial they give you one percent, only one star. 经济回报1%,只给一个星。
Now take it to the last step. 再把这个想法提升到最后一层。
Once you have all of that put together , there's not one reason why you couldn't actually have a market place for all of that where you can dispose of all of those bonds in a pretty quick way. 一旦这些条件齐全了, 就没有理由不能设立一个 能很快 将这些债券脱手的交易场所。
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; dispose:v.布置;安排;排列;使倾向于;
And in that way you organize the financing so there are no dark rooms, no blind people running around to find each other. 这样组织融资 就没有黑屋子,没有人盲目的 互相寻找对方了。
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
Thank you. 谢谢。