|
|
SarahKay_2019-_用鸟群做成的鸟_-
|
I have a friend named Kaveh Akbar, who is a fellow poet. |
我的朋友卡韦赫·阿克巴是一个诗人。 |
And Kaveh found this photo online of the anatomical heart of a blue whale that scientists had hung on a hook from the ceiling, which is how they were able to observe that the heart of a blue whale is big enough that a person can stand up fully inside of it. |
卡韦赫在网上发现了这张照片, 上面是一只解剖了的蓝鲸心脏, 科学家把心脏挂在天花板的钩子上, 使得他们能够发现 蓝鲸的心脏如此之大, 一个人可以完全站在里面。 |
anatomical:adj.解剖的;解剖学的;结构上的; blue whale:n.[动]蓝鲸; hook:n.钩;挂钩;鱼钩;钓钩;v.挂住;箍住;钓(鱼);打曲线球; observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视;
|
And when Kaveh shared this photo online, he did so with the caption, "This is another reminder that the universe has already written the poem you were planning on writing." |
当卡韦赫在网上分享这张照片时, 他附上了这个标题, “这再次提醒了我们, 我们计划创作的诗歌 早已被这个宇宙写好了。” |
And when I first saw that, I was horrified . |
当我第一眼看到这个标题,我骇然了。 |
horrified:adj.惊骇的;带有恐怖感的;v.惊骇(horrify的过去式和过去分词);使…战悚;
|
I was like, "Come on, man! I'm trying to invent new metaphors ! |
我心说,“不是吧,伙计! 我在尝试创造新的隐喻! |
metaphors:n.隐喻(metaphor的复数形式);
|
I'm trying to discover beauty that hasn't been discovered yet. |
我在尝试发掘尚未被发现的美。 |
What do you mean, the universe is always going to get there before me?" |
为什么宇宙总是比我先到达那里?” |
And I know this isn't a uniquely poet problem, but on days when the world feels especially big or especially impossible or especially full of grandeur , those are the days when I feel, "What do I possibly have to contribute to all of this?" |
我知道这不单纯是 诗人面临的问题, 而是在有的日子里, 我感到这个世界一望无际, 深不可测, 气壮山河, 同时我也开始思考, “我能为这一切 做些什么呢?” |
uniquely:adv.独特地;珍奇地; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; grandeur:n.壮丽;庄严;宏伟; contribute to:有助于;捐献;
|
Not long ago, I saw this video that some of you may have seen. |
不久前,我看到这段视频, 你们有些人可能看过。 |
It makes the internet rounds every couple of months. |
它每隔几个月就会 在互联网上传播一次。 |
There are these birds that are called starlings , and they fly in what's called a " murmuration ," |
有一种鸟叫做椋鸟, 成群结队飞来飞去, |
starlings:n.[鸟]椋鸟;桥墩尖端分水桩;欧掠鸟(starling的复数); murmuration:发出低沉连续的抱怨声;
|
which is generally just a big cloud of birds. |
简而言之就是一大群鸟。 |
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
|
And someone happened to catch a quick video on their phone of these starlings flying. |
有人碰巧用手机拍了 这些椋鸟飞行的短视频。 |
And at first, it's just an amorphous blob , and then there's a moment where the birds shift , and they form the shape of a starling in the sky! |
一开始,它只是毫无规律的一团, 接着,在一个时刻,鸟群发生了改变, 它们在天空形成了 一只椋鸟的形状! |
amorphous:adj.无定形的;无组织的;[物]非晶形的; blob:n.一滴;一抹;v.弄脏;把…做错;得零分; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And as soon as I saw it, I was like, |
当我看到这一幕,我不禁想, |
as soon as:一…就;
|
(Gasps) "The universe has already written the poem you were planning on writing!" |
(惊叹)“你计划创作的诗歌 早已被这个宇宙写好了!” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Except, for the first time, it didn't fill me with despair . |
不同以往,我第一次 没有为此感到失落。 |
despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望;
|
Instead, I thought, "OK. |
相反,我想,“好的。 |
Maybe it's not my job to invent something new. |
也许我的工作并不是发掘新事物。 |
Maybe instead it's my job to listen to what the universe is showing me and to keep myself open to what the universe offers, so that when it's my turn, |
也许恰恰相反,我的工作就是 倾听世界在向我展示什么, 并开怀接受这个世界的赠予, 这样在轮到我时, |
I can hold something to the light, just for a moment, just for as long as I have. |
我就能为这个世界做点什么, 哪怕只是短暂的一刻, 我所拥有的一刻。 |
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
|
The universe has already written the poem that you were planning on writing. |
你计划创作的诗歌 早已被这个宇宙写好。 |
And this is why you can do nothing but point at the flock of starlings whose bodies rise and fall in inherited choreography , swarming the sky in a sweeping curtain that, for one blistering moment, forms the unmistakeable shape of a giant bird flapping against the sky. |
这也是为什么 你只能指着那群 在世代相传的队形中 起起落落的椋鸟, 像是覆盖天空的一幅巨大幕布, 就在那一瞬间, 形成了耀眼的 大鸟形状, 展翅翱翔。 |
flock:v.聚集;群集;蜂拥;n.(羊或鸟)群;(尤指同类人的)一大群; inherited:v.继承(金钱、财产等);接替(责任等);继任;(inherit的过去式和过去分词) choreography:n.编舞;舞蹈艺术;舞艺; swarming:v.成群地飞来飞去;(swarm的现在分词) sweeping:n.扫除; adj.影响广泛的; v.打扫; (sweep的现在分词) blistering:adj.猛烈的; n.[涂料]起泡; v.起水疱; giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 flapping:n.拍动;摇摆运动;adj.摇摆运动的;挥动的;v.拍打,轻拍(flap的现在分词);
|
It is why your mouth forms an "o" |
这就是为什么你们张大了嘴巴, |
that is not a gasp , but rather, the beginning of, "Oh. Of course." |
这并不是惊叹, 相反,你们的第一反应只是, “噢,当然了。” |
gasp:v.喘气,喘息;气喘吁吁地说;渴望;n.深吸气;倒抽气;
|
As in, of course the heart of a blue whale is as large as a house with chambers tall enough to fit a person standing. |
像是蓝鲸跟房子一样大的心脏, 里面足够高,当然能 容纳一个站立的人。 |
chambers:n.内庭(chamber的复数);
|
Of course a fig becomes possible when a lady wasp lays her eggs inside a flower, dies and decomposes , the fruit, evidence of her transformation . |
当然, 当寄生蜂把卵产在花里, 死去并分解后, 它就变成了果实。 |
fig:n.无花果 wasp:n.黄蜂;[昆]胡蜂;易怒的人;vi.黄蜂似的直扑; decomposes:分解; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
|
Sometimes, the poem is so bright, your silly language will not stick to it. |
有时,诗歌是如此的明充满智慧, 无法用肤浅的语言表达。 |
Sometimes, the poem is so true, nobody will believe you. |
有时,诗歌是如此的真实, 甚至没人会相信你。 |
I am a bird made of birds. |
我就是 由许多鸟组成的那只鸟。 |
This blue heart a house you can stand up inside of. |
这个蓝色的心脏就是 能容下你的房子。 |
I am dying here inside this flower. |
我在这里, 在这朵花里 消逝。 |
It is OK. |
没关系, |
It is what I was put here to do. |
这就是我被派到这里的目的。 |
Take this fruit. |
收下这个果实吧。 |
It is what I have to offer. |
这是我所能给予的。 |
It may not be first, or ever best, but it is the only way to be sure that I lived at all. |
这或许不是第一个, 也许不是最好的, 但这是能证明我来过这个世界 的唯一证据。 |
to be sure:诚然;的确;哎呀(表惊奇);
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |