返回首页

SarahJones_2015-_一个女人_五个角色_和_一堂未来的性教育课_

This is a play called "Sell/Buy/Date." 这是一部叫做《销售、购买、日期》的话剧。
It's my first since "Bridge and Tunnel ," which I did on Broadway , and this one, I -- thank you -- 这是我继百老汇的《桥梁和隧道》后的 并且这一部,我--谢谢--
Tunnel:n.地下通道;地道;隧道;(动物的)洞穴通道;v.开凿隧道;挖地道; Broadway:n.百老汇(美国纽约市戏院集中的一条大街);
I've excerpted it just for you, so here we go. 我专门为你们选了几段,所以我们开始吧。
excerpted:n.摘录,引用;vt.引用,摘录;vi.摘录,引用;
Right. Class, let's be absolutely certain all electronic devices are switched off before we begin. 好的。同学们,在开始之前, 请确保将你的所有电子设备都已关掉。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
So class, hopefully you'll recognize what you just heard me say as the -- ? 好了同学们,
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
Very good, the cellular phone announcement. 非常好,就是手机公告。
cellular:adj.细胞的;多孔的;由细胞组成的;n.移动电话;单元;
Right? This was also known as a mobile phone . 对吧?以前这也被称为移动电话。
mobile phone:移动电话
So you'll remember, people of that era would have had an external electronic device, right, something like this, and they all would have carried one of these around with them, 要知道,那个年代的人们 都有一部外部电子设备,是的, 就像这种的, 他们会随身携带这个东西,
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的;
and amongst their biggest fears was the sheer mortification that one of these might ring at some inopportune moment. 而使他们最害怕的事之一就是这东西有时 会不合时宜地响起而导致了极度得尴尬。
amongst:prep.在…之中;在…当中(等于among); sheer:adj.纯; v.十足地; n.透明薄纱; v.[航海](使)偏航; (使)转向; mortification:n.屈辱;禁欲;坏疽; inopportune:adj.不凑巧的,不适当的;不合时机的;
Right? So a bit of trivia about that era for you. 对吧?这就是那个年代的一些麻烦事。
trivia:n.琐事;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So the format of today's class is 今天的课程安排是
I will be presenting multiple BERT modules today from that period in history, right, so starting circa 2016. 我会展示大量的BERT模块, 这些模块都是来自历史上的那一时期, 大概就是从2016年开始的。
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; modules:n.[计]模块(module的复数);加载模块列表; circa:prep.大约于;adv.大约;
And remember, this was the very first year of the BERT program. 请记住,是BERT项目在这一年开始实施。
So we've got quite a few of these to get through. 所以我们拿到了不少的资料来了解这些。
quite a few:不少,相当多;
Bear in mind , I will be living into various different bodies, different ages, also what were then called races, or ethnic groups, as you'll remember from Unit 1. 也请记住, 我会附身在各种不同的身体里, 他们有年龄之分,所谓的种族,民族之分, 这就是我们第一单元将会学到的。
Bear in mind:vi.记住;考虑到; ethnic:adj.种族的;人种的;
And -- (Laughter) -- and along the gender continuum , 并且由于性别为连续统一体,
gender:n.性别; continuum:n.[数]连续统;[经]连续统一体;闭联集;
I will be living into males as well. 我也会变成男人。
It was quite binary at that time. 那时候普遍为二进制。
binary:adj.[数]二进制的;二元的,二态的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Also, don't forget, we are reading the book module for next week's focus on gender. 也请不要忘了,我们正在阅读这本书中 下星期将集中讨论的关于性别的部分。
Now, I know some of you have requested the book in pill form. 我知道你们有些把读书当作良药。
pill:n.[医]药丸;药品;
I know people still believe ingesting it is better for retention , but since we are trying to experience what our forebears did, right, let's please just consider doing the actual ocular reading, okay? 我知道人们仍旧相信通过咀嚼吸收 但是考虑到我们目前 所以我们就通过
ingesting:v.摄入;食入;咽下;(ingest的现在分词) retention:n.保留;扣留,滞留;记忆力;闭尿; forebears:n.祖先(forebear的复数); ocular:adj.眼睛的;视觉的;目击的;n.[光]目镜;
And also, how many people have your emotional shunts engaged ? 呃。有多少人被正忙于其他事的?
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; shunts:n.分流术; engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
Right. Please toggle them off. Okay? 好的。麻烦把它们都放在一边。好吗?
toggle:vt.拴牢,系紧;n.开关,触发器;拴扣;[船]套索钉;
I know it's challenging, but I want you to be able to feel the entire natural emo range, all right? 我知道这有点难度,但是我希望 你们能够感受到整个自然的情绪,好吧?
It is essential to this part of the syllabus . 这是这个课程的特别重要的部分。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; syllabus:n.教学大纲,摘要;课程表;
Yes, Macy? 什么,梅西?
All right. I understand. If you're unwilling to -- 好吧。我理解。如果你们不愿意--
unwilling:adj.不愿意的;不情愿的;勉强的;
All right, well, we can discuss that after class. 好吧,我们可以下课后讨论一下。
All right, we will discuss your concerns . 我们会就你的考虑讨论一下。
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
Just relax . Nobody's died and gone to composting . 放松。没有人去世。
relax:v.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养; composting:n.堆肥化;堆制肥料;v.把…做成堆肥(compost的ing形式);
Okay. After class. Okay? After class. 好吧。课后讨论。好吗?课后讨论。
Let's just get started, okay. 让我们开始吧。
This first subject identified as a middle-class homemaker . 第一个出场人物
identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) middle-class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; homemaker:n.主妇;
Remember, these early modules in these people's full identities were protected, and this allowed them to speak more freely on our topic, which for many of them was taboo . 请注意, 这些人的真实身份是保密的, 这也让他们能够 而这种行为在当时大多是不被允许的。
identities:n.身份;本身;本体;特征;同一性;相同;(identity的复数) taboo:n.禁忌;禁止;adj.禁忌的;忌讳的;vt.禁忌;禁止;
Okay honey, now, I'm ready when you are. 好吧,亲爱的,我现在已经准备好了。
No, sweetheart , I said, I'm ready when you are. 哦,不不,亲爱的,
sweetheart:n.亲爱的;甜心;爱人;心上人
I'm freezing. 我快冻僵了。
It's like a meat locker in here in this recording studio . 这个录音室跟个冷冻柜似的。
locker:n.(体育馆等的)有锁存物柜; studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂;
I should have brought a shmata. 我应该带条毯子过来的。
All this fancy technology but they can't afford heat. 高科技有屁用连暖气都没有。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
What is he saying? I can't hear you! 他说什么?我听不清!
I can't hear you through the glass, honey! 我没法透过玻璃听到你,亲爱的!
There you are in my ear. 听到了。
Oh, you can hear me? 噢,你能听到我吗?
The whole time. 一直。
Oh, yes, I am a little chilly . 好的,噢,我真有点冷。
chilly:adj.寒冷的;怕冷的;
Yes, oh the cold is for the machines, the new technology. Okay. 因为这个机器,这些新科技。好吧。
Yes, now remind me again, you're recording not only my voice but my feelings and my memories? Right. 我再问一下,你正在记录的不只是 我的声音还有我的情感与记忆,对吧?
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
Yes, BERT, yes, I read about it. 好的,BERT,我读过有关它的资料。
Bio-Empathetic Resonant Technology. 生物移情谐振技术。
Resonant:adj.洪亮的,共振的;共鸣的;
Right, right, so people will be able to feel my experience and my memory? Okay. 所以人们可以 对我的经历与记忆感同身受,对吗?好吧。
No, right, I'm ready. 是的,我已经准备好了。
I just thought you were going to give me a test to see how my memory's doing. 我只是以为你会
I was going to tell you you're too late, it's already bad news. 我就是想告诉你,
No, no, go ahead, honey. 不不,继续,亲爱的。
Oh, that's the first question? 这是第一个问题?
What do I think of prostitution ? 我是如何看待卖淫的?
prostitution:n.卖淫;滥用;出卖灵魂;
Are you soliciting me, young man? 你是要找我做生意吗,年轻人?
soliciting:v.索求,请求…给予;征求;筹集;(solicit的现在分词)
I've heard of May-December romances , but what are you, about 20 years old? 我是听过忘年恋啦,
romances:n.冒险故事; v.虚构;
Eighteen? Eighteen years. 18?好吧,18岁。
I think I have candies in my purse older than 18 years old. 我18岁的时候钱包里还有糖果呢。
purse:n.钱包;资金;财源;备用款;v.噘嘴;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I'm teasing you, sweetheart. No, I'm comfortable with any question. 我在开你玩笑呢,亲爱的。
teasing:adj.开玩笑的;n.取笑;挑逗;v.取笑;戏弄;招惹;(tease的现在分词)
Sure. So about the prostitution -- oh, sex worker , sex worker. 当然。所以关于卖淫--
sex worker:n.性工作者(对以性行为换取金钱者的委婉说法);
No, just in my day, they called it prostitution, not sex work. 是的,在我们那个年代,
Oh, because it includes pornography also? 因为那也包括色情书刊?
pornography:n.淫秽作品;色情书刊(或音像制品等)
Okay. 好吧。
No, well, I guess when I was a girl, we didn't really have a name for that either. 好吧,我觉得当我还是个小姑娘的时候, 那个根本没有什么名字。
We would have said dirty magazines, I suppose , or dirty movies. 我们说过色情杂志,我想,或是色情电影。
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想:
Well, it's not like what you have with the Internet. 这跟网上的完全不一样。
No, well, I don't mind sharing. 我不介意分享给你我的经历。
My late husband and I, we were a very romantic couple. 我和我去世的丈夫是非常恩爱的一对。
romantic:adj.浪漫的;爱情的;n.浪漫的人;耽于幻想的人;
Lots of tenderness , you understand. 充满着柔情,你要知道。
tenderness:n.亲切;柔软;柔和;敏感;棘手;
Well, as you get older, you know, at one point I thought my husband might be helped by using some of the pills men can take, but he wasn't interested in those, so I thought, what about maybe watching an adult movie on the Internet? 当你年纪变大了,在某一时刻我觉得 我的丈夫需要借助一些药物来帮忙, 但是他对这个不感兴趣, 于是我想,那在网上看部成人电影?
pills:n.药丸; v.起球; (pill的第三人称单数和复数)
Just for inspiration, you understand. 你懂的,就是想要一些刺激,灵感什么的。
Well, at the time, neither of us were very good on the computer, so usually, if we needed help with the Internet, we would just call our children or our grandchildren, 但是那时候,我们两个都不太会用电脑。 平常,我们都是找 我们的孩子或是孙子孙女们来帮我们,
but obviously, in this case, that wasn't an option , so I thought, I'll have a look myself, just to see. 但显然,这种情况, 于是我决定靠我自己,就只是看看。
option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
How difficult could it be? 又能难到哪里呢?
You search for certain key words and you look -- 你打一些关键词上去--
for certain:肯定地;确凿地;
Oh wow is right, young man. 噢,是的,年轻人。
You can't imagine what I saw. 你根本想象不到我看到了什么。
Well, first of all , I was just trying to find, you know, couples, normal couples making love, but this, so many people together at one time . 刚开始,我就是想找一些,呃,情侣, 正常的情侣, 但是却看到了许多人在一起做那种事。
first of all:adv.首先; at one time:曾经,一度;同时;
You couldn't tell which part belonged to which body. 你根本分不清哪个部位属于哪个人。
How they even got the cameras to capture some of this, I couldn't tell you. 他们竟然还用相机拍这些。
capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
But the one thing they didn't capture was making love. 但有一样东西他们是没有的--爱。
There was lots of making of something, but they took the love part right out of it, you know, the fun. 他们确实是在……比如说找乐子, 但是他们把爱抽离了出来。
It was all very extreme , you know? 那很极端,你知道吗?
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
Like you would say, with the extreme sports . 就像你说的,像是极限运动。
extreme sports:n.[体]极限运动;(extremesports是extremesport的复数)
Lots of endurance , but never tenderness. 特别的持久, 但是没有温情。
endurance:n.忍耐力;忍耐;持久;耐久;
So anyway, needless to say, that was $19.95 I'll never get back again, but it only showed up on the credit card as "entertainment services," 不用说, 但是信用卡记录上只是显示为
needless:adj.不必要的,不需要的;多余的,无用的; credit card:n.[经]信用卡;
so my husband was never the wiser, and after all of that, well, you could say it turned out he didn't need the extra inspiration after all. 我丈夫仍然一无所知, 你也可以说他不需要额外的刺激。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
Right, so next subject is a young woman -- (Applause) -- 好的,下一位是一位年轻女性
Next subject, class, is a young woman called Bella, a university student interviewed in 2016 during what was called an Intro to Feminist Porn class as part of her major in sex work at a college in the Bay Area. 下一位,同学们, 2016年她被采访时还是一名大学生, 她在湾区的一所大学的 性工作专业主修女性主义情色入门。
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式) Intro:n.介绍;简介; Feminist:n.男女平等主义者;adj.主张男女平等的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah, I just want to, like, get a recording of, like,you guys recording me, like a meta recording, or whatever. 我只是想让你们来拍我, 无论什么。
meta:pref.表示"变化""变换"之义;
It's just like this whole experience is just, like, really amazing, and I'd like to capture that for, like, Instagram and my Tumblr. 这个经历真的是,真的是特别神奇, 我要拍下来发布到
Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
So, like, hi guys, it's me, Bella, and I am, like, being interviewed right now for this, like, really amazing Bio-Empathetic Resonance Technology, which is, like, basically where they are, like, recording, as you can see from these, whatever, like, electrodes , the formation of, like, neuropeptides in my hippocampus , or whatever. 嗨,同志们,是我哦,贝拉, 我正在,呃, 因为这个神奇的生物移情谐振技术 这个技术就是,呃,就是主要记录 你看到的这些,呃,还有什么电极啦, 呃,我的海马体处的
Resonance:n.[力]共振;共鸣;反响; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; electrodes:n.[电]电极(electrode的复数);电焊条; formation:n.形成;编队;组成;队形; hippocampus:n.[解剖][脊椎]海马;马头鱼尾怪兽(神话中的一个形象);
They will later be able to reconstitute these as, like, my own actual memory, like actual experiences, so other people can, like, actually feel what I'm feeling right now. 他们之后会重组这些东西 以形成我自己实实在在的记忆, 这样人们就能切身地感受到我现在的感受。
reconstitute:v.重组;重新设立;使(脱水食物等)恢复原状;使还原;
Okay. Okay. 好吧。好吧。
So, like, hello, BERT person of the future who is experiencing me. 呃,嗨,正在体验我的感受的未来的人们。
This is what it feels like to be, like, a college freshman, and also the, like, headache that you are experiencing through me is the, like, residual effect of the Jell-O shots which I had last night at the bi-weekly feminist pole dancing party which I cohost on Wednesdays . 你们一定感觉,呃,自己就是个大学新生, 你们也应该感受到我正在经历的头痛, 这,呃,应该是昨晚我在 由我主持的每隔两周 女性钢管舞派对上
residual:n.剩余;残渣;adj.剩余的;残留的; Jell-O:n.(美)(商标名)吉露牌果子冻; bi-weekly:n.双周刊;adv.两星期一次; pole dancing:n.钢管舞(在酒吧或夜总会跳的艳舞,舞者绕长杆扭动身体); cohost:主持人; Wednesdays:每星期三(Wednesday的复数)
It's called "Don't Get All Pole-emical" -- (Laughter) -- and it's in Beekman Hall, and, what else, like, non-Jell-O shots are also available for vegans , and, oh, okay, yeah, totally, yeah, we should also focus on your questions also. 这派对叫“不要拿所有的钢管” 就在比克曼大厅举办, 呃,还有什么呢, 噢,我们也为素食主义者 好,好,好,是的,
vegans:严守素食主义的;严格的素食主义者;
So for your record, I am, like, a sex work studies major but minoring in social media with a concentration on notable YouTube memes . 为了让你更好的记录我的档案, 并辅修社交媒体 尤其是值得注意的视频模因。
minoring:adj.未成年的; n.未成年人; vi.副修; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; notable:adj.值得注意的,显著的;著名的;n.名人,显要人物; memes:模因(meme的复数);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes, well, of course, like, I consider myself to be, like, obviously, like, a feminist. 当然了,显然 我是一个女性主义者。
I was named for Bella Abzug, who was, like, a famous, like, feminist from history, and, like, also I feel that it is, like, important to, like, represent women who are, like, sex-positive feminists . 我被父母取名为贝拉·艾布札格, 与历史上一位有名的, 而且,呃,我也认为代表,呃, 那些对性正面开放的女性主义者们
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; feminists:n.女权运动者(feminist的复数);
What is sex-negative? 你问我什么是对性消极?
Well, like, I guess I would ask, like, what do you think sex-negative is? (Laughter) 呃,我想先了解你认为 怎样才算对性是消极的?(笑声)
Yeah, because, like, the terms that we use are, like, so important, because, like, we call it sex work because it helps people understand that, like, it's work, 哈哈,因为,呃,我们 因为,呃,因为我们称它为性工作
and, like, you know, just like there are, like, healthcare providers and, like, insurance providers, like, we think of these workers as, like, sex care providers. 呃,就像是,呃,卫生保健提供者 和保险提供者, 所以我们将这些人都看作是性保健提供者。
healthcare:n.医疗保健;健康护理,健康服务;卫生保健; providers:n.供应者;提供者;供养人;(provider的复数) insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
Yeah, but like, I don't think of myself like, providing direct sex care services per se as, like, being a requirement for me to be, like, an advocate . 是的,但是我自己本身 我应该就是对这种工作表示支持。
per se:adv.本身;本质上; advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人;
Like, I support other women's right to choose it voluntarily , like, if they enjoy it. 比如我会拥护其他女性 如果她们是真心喜欢的。
voluntarily:adv.自动地;以自由意志;
Yeah, but, like, I see myself going forward as more likely, like, protecting sex workers',like, legal freedoms and rights. 但是我自己可能在这方面更往前了一步, 呃,保护她们的合法权利和自由。
legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的;
Yeah, so, like, basically, I'm planning on becoming a lawyer. 呃,所以……基本上
Right, class. (Laughter) (Applause) 好的,同学们。(笑声)(鼓掌声)
So these next two modules are also circa 2016. 接下去两个也是在2016年左右录下的。
One subject is an Irishwoman with a particularly noteworthy relationship to this issue , but first will be a West Indian woman, a self-described escort who was recorded at a sex workers' rights rally and parade . 一位是与这个话题有着非常重要联系的爱尔兰妇女, 但是最先放出的会是一位西印度女人, 该影像在一次为争取性工作者权利的 而该女人则自称为是护卫者。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; noteworthy:adj.值得注意的;显著的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; self-described:adj.自我描述的; escort:n.陪同;护航舰;护卫队;护送者;v.护送;陪同;为…护航; rally:v.团结;重整;恢复;(网球等)连续对打;n.集会;回复;公路赛车会; parade:n.阅兵;游行;炫耀;检阅;v.游行;展览;游行庆祝;游行示威;
She was interviewed whilst marching in full carnival headdress and very little else. 她在游行中被采访时只戴着嘉年华用头巾, 几乎没有穿衣服。
whilst:conj.同时;时时,有时;当…的时候; carnival:n.狂欢节,嘉年华会;饮宴狂欢; headdress:n.头发编梳的式样;饰头巾;
All right, you want me to start talking now. 好的,我现在就可以讲了是吧?
Yeah, I told you, you can put those wires anywhere you want to as long as it don't get in the way . 是的,是的,我告诉过你了, 只要不碍事,这些电线怎么放都没事。
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; get in the way:妨碍;挡道;挡住去路;阻碍;
Yeah, no, but, tell me again what the name of -- BERT? BERT. 对对,等下,能在跟我说一下那个什么--BERT?BERT。
Yeah, I was telling you, you know, I think I have in all my time 噢,我告诉你,我接过起码一位叫Bert的客人,
I have had at least one client with that name, so this won't be the first time 所以这不会是我第一次
client:n.[经]客户;顾客;委托人;
I had BERT all over me. 被BERT“布满”我的全身。
Oh, I'm sorry, but you got to get into the spirit of it if you're going to interview me. 噢,不好意思, 但是你必须得了解这项运动的意义
All right? You can say it. 行了吧?你可以说了。
No justice , no piece! No justice , no piece! 没有公正,就没有我们的一块地方!
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
But you see the sign? You get it? P-I-E-C-E. No justice, no piece of us. 你看到那个标语了吗?
You understand? 了解了吗?
Right, so that's the part where I was telling you is that when I first came to this country, I worked every job I could find. 我要告诉你的是 当我刚来这座城市,
I was a nanny; I was a home care attendant for all these different old people, and then I said, child, if I have to touch another white man's backside , 我当过保姆, 然后我就想,如果我一定要
attendant:adj.伴随的;侍候的;n.服务员,侍者;随员,陪从; backside:n.背部;后方;臀部;
I might as well get paid a lot more money for it than this, you understand? 我为什么不能拿到 你明白吗?
might as well:不妨,何妨;还是…的好;
Pshh, you know how hard it is being a domestic worker? 你知道当一个家政佣工多难吗?
domestic:n.佣人;家佣;家庭纠纷;家庭矛盾;adj.本国的;国内的;家用的;家庭的;
Some of these men, they're heavy. 有些男的特别胖。
You have to pick them up and flip them over. 你必须得把他们叫起来,翻过去。
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
Now, I let them pick me up and flip me over, you understand? 现在,是他们来接我,
Well, you have to have a sense of humor about it, that's what I think. 我觉得你得有点儿幽默感才行。
humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就;
No, but see, listen, you find me somebody who don't hate some part of their job. 不是,但是,听着, 你找到了一个不完全讨厌
I mean, there's a lot of things about this job that I hate, but the money is not one of them, and I will tell you, as long as this is the best possibility for me to make real money, 我是说,这个工作有很多让我感到厌恶的, 但钱绝对不是其中一部分, 我跟你说,只要这是我最能挣到钱的工作,
I am going to be Jamaican-No-Fakin' if that's what they want to call me. 我就会继续当我的“牙买加人”。
I am going to be:我将成为什么(样的人)
No, I'm not even from Jamaica . That's how they market me. 不,我不是牙买加人。
Jamaica:n.牙买加(拉丁美洲一个国家);
My family is from Trinidad and the Virgin Islands. 我的家人在特立尼达和维尔京金群岛。
Virgin:n.处女;童男;无…经验的人;新手;
They don't know what I do, but you know what? 他们不知道我在干什么,但你知道吗?
My children, they know that their school fees are paid, they have their books and their computer, and this way, I know that they have a chance. 我的孩子们,知道我给他们交了学费, 他们有了自己的书和电脑, 我知道,他们有获得更好未来的机会。
So I'm not going to tell you that what I do, it's easy, 我不会告诉你我的工作内容,
I'm not going to tell you that I feel -- what's that you said, liberated ? 我也不会说什么,
liberated:adj.不受传统思想束缚的,开放的; v.解放; (liberate的过去式和过去分词)
But I'm going to tell you that I feel paid. 我要跟你说的是我赚到了钱。
Right. (Applause) 好的。(鼓掌声)
Thanks, that's lovely, and just the cup of tea, love, and just a splash of the whiskey . 谢谢,很好,就一杯茶 再来点威士忌。
splash:v.溅,泼;用...使液体飞溅;n.飞溅的水;污点;卖弄; whiskey:n.威士忌酒;adj.威士忌酒的;
It's perfect, that's grand. Just a drop more. A splash. Perfect. 完美,很棒。再来一点点。一滴。很好。
What was your name? Peter? Is that right, so, Peter? 你叫什么?彼得?对吗,彼得?
Right. So that, that is the unique part of it for me, right, is that I ended up in both, first in the convent , and then in the prostitution after. That's right. 好的。这对于我是段独特的经历, 我先是进了修道院然后做了妓女。对。
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; convent:n.女修道院;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So one woman at the university here in Dublin , she wrote about me. 一个在都柏林上大学的女人
Dublin:n.都柏林(爱尔兰共和国的首都);
She said, Maureen Fitzroy is the living embodiment of the whore-virgin dichotomy . 她说:“莫林-菲茨罗伊就是
embodiment:n.体现;化身;具体化; dichotomy:n.二分法;两分;分裂;双歧分枝;
Right? (Laughter) 对吧?(笑声)
Doesn't it sound like something you need to go into hospital? 这听起来是不是特别神经?
Well, I've got this terrible dichotomy. 我就是这么个分裂的人。
Doesn't it. 不是吗?
Right. Well, for me though, it was, as a girl, it started with me dad. 好的。这段经历是由我父亲开始的,
I mean, half the time, when he spoke to us, it was just a sort of tell us we were all useless rotten idiots and we had no morals , that type of thing. 我是说,我父亲跟我们讲话时, 就是个蠢蛋,没有道德,之类的。
rotten:adj.腐烂的;堕落的;恶臭的;虚弱的;极坏的;adv.非常; idiots:n.蠢人;笨蛋;白痴;(idiot的复数) morals:n.道德;
And I certainly didn't do myself any favors. 我肯定没有反驳过。
By the time I was 16, 当我16岁时,
I had started messing about with this older fella , and he wanted it to be our little secret, and I did as I was told, didn't I, and when that got back to me dad, he had me sent straightaway to the convent. 我和一个老家伙搞在一块儿, 他希望我能保密, 我也这么做了,我没别的选择, 但当消息传到我父亲那,
messing:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;(mess的现在分词) fella:n.伙伴,伙计;小伙子; straightaway:n.直线跑道;adj.通俗易懂的;立刻的;笔直的;
Well no, that older fella, he would still come to find me in the convent. 噢,不是的,那老家伙
Yeah, he'd leave me notes tucked into the holes in the brick at the back of the charity shop so we could meet. 他会把我们要见面的纸条 塞在慈善商店后面的砖缝里, 这样我们就能见面了。
tucked:v.塞进,折叠,卷起;把…藏入;收藏;(tuck的过去分词和过去式) charity shop:n.慈善商店(通过出售捐赠的衣物等募集慈善资金);
And he'd tell me how he's leaving his wife, and I believed him, until I got pregnant . 他告诉过我他要离开他的妻子, 我相信他了,直到我怀孕。
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
I did, Peter, and I left him a note about it in our special place there, and I never did hear from him again. 我做了,彼得,我把写有我怀孕消息的纸条 但我再也没有见过他。
No, I gave it up for adoption so it could have a decent life, and then they wouldn't let me back into the convent. 我把孩子送去给别人抚养了, 而我也再也回不了修道院了。
adoption:n.采用;收养;接受; decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
No, my one sister Virginia gave me a fiver for the coach to Dublin, and that's how I ended up here. 不,我的一个姐姐弗吉尼亚给了我五块钱 这也是我为什么来这里的原因。
Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的; fiver:n.五元美钞,五镑钞票;
Well, surprise, surprise, I fell in love with another fella much older than me, and I always say I was just so happy because he didn't drink, 造化弄人,我又爱上了一位比我老很多的家伙, 我总是为我嫁了一个不酗酒的人而开心,
I married the bastard. 然而事实是,我嫁给了一个混蛋。
Well, he didn't drink, but he did have just the wee heroin problem, didn't he, and -- That's right, and before I knew it, he was the one who turned me on to the prostitution, my own husband. 他不喝酒,但是他有吸食少量海洛因的问题, --对,在我知道前, 是他让我走上了卖淫这条路,
heroin:n.[药][毒物]海洛因,吗啡;
He had me supporting the both of us. 他需要我来支撑这个家。
I was 18. 那时我才18岁。
Well, it wasn't Pretty Woman, I can tell you that. 不会有什么《风月俏佳人》,我告诉你。
That Julia Roberts, if she'd ever had to sleep with a man to put a few pounds in her pocket, 如果茱莉亚·罗伯茨 必须得和一个给她钱的男人睡的话,
I don't think she'd ever have made that film. 我觉得那部电影就不会有。
Well, for your record, my opinion of the legalization , I'd say I'm against it. 为了让你记录, 我对合法化的观点是,
legalization:n.[法]合法化;法律认可;
I just, I don't care what these young girls say. 我只是,我不在乎这些年轻女孩说什么。
You know, living like that, you're just lost, and, you know, I'm 63 years old. 要知道,过着那种生活只会让人迷失, 我现在已经63岁了。
I'm still trying to find who I am. 我仍然在努力探索我到底是谁。
You know, I never was a wife or a nun, or a prostitute even, really, not really. 我从来就不是一个妻子,修女。 或是一个妓女,不是真的是。
prostitute:v.使沦为妓女;adj.卖淫的;堕落的;n.妓女;
Nobody ever asked who I wanted to be. 从没人问过我我想做什么。
They just told me, and if you legalize it, then you're really telling these girls, "Go on and get lost for a living," 他们只是告诉我要去做什么, 如果真的合法化了, 那你就真的是在跟这些女孩们说:“去吧,用这种让人迷失的方式谋生。”
legalize:vt.使合法化;公认;法律上认为…正当;
and a lot of them, they'll do as they're told. 而很多女孩会跟着我们所说的做。
All right, so four perspectives from four quite -- (Applause) -- four quite different voices there, right? 好的,四种来自--(鼓掌声)-- 来自相当不同声音的观点,对吧?
perspectives:n.[数]透视,远景,看法;构面;观点展示(perspective的复数形式);
One woman saying sex itself is natural but the sex industry seems to mechanize or industrialize it. 一位女性说性本身是非常自然的一件事, 但是性行业使性变得机械化,工业化。
mechanize:vt.使机械化;机动化;用机械装置; industrialize:v.(使国家或地区)工业化;
Then the second woman considered sex work to be empowering , liberating , and feminist, though she, herself, notably , did not seem keen to do it. 第二位女性认为性工作应该被准许, 应该是自由的,女性主义, 虽然她自己,很显然,
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词) liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词) notably:adv.显著地;尤其; keen:adj.敏锐的,敏捷的;渴望的;强烈的;热心的;锐利的;n.痛哭,挽歌;
The third woman, who actually was a so-called sex worker did not agree that it was liberating but she wanted the right to the economic empowerment , and then we hear the fourth woman saying not only prostitution itself but proscribed roles for women in general prevented her from ever finding who she was, right? 第三位女性即大家所说的性工作者 不赞成性工作是自由的, 但她希望妇女能够享有经济赋权, 而第四位女性说不只是性交易, 女性被禁止的角色都在一定程度上 阻止她找到真正的自己,对吧?
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; empowerment:n.许可,授权; proscribed:vt.剥夺…的公权;禁止; in general:总之,通常;一般而言;
So another fact most people did not know was the average age of an at-risk girl being introduced to the sex industry was 12 or 13. 另一个大多数人不知道的事实是 女生被介绍到性行业的危险年龄是 12-13岁。
at-risk:adj.处于危险中的;
Also consider that the age when all girls in that society first became exposed to sexualized images of women was quite a bit earlier, right? 我们也认为这个年龄的女孩们 首次接触到女性情色照片的年龄 也很早,对吧?
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) sexualized:v.使性感;(sexualize的过去式和过去分词) images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
This was a doll called Barbie, right? 这是芭比娃娃,对吧?
I initially thought she was an educational tool for anorexia prevention -- 我刚开始以为
initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的 anorexia:n.厌食;神经性厌食症; prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍;
(Laughter) -- but actually she was considered by many to be a wholesome symbol of femininity , and often young girls began what was called dieting. (笑声)-- 然而,实际上,她被很多人认为是 女性美的标准, 很多年轻女孩会开始所谓的节食。
wholesome:adj.健全的;有益健康的;合乎卫生的;审慎的; symbol:n.象征;符号;标志; femininity:n.温柔;柔弱性;女子本性;
Remember this? This was restricting food intake on purpose by the age of six, and defining themselves based on attractiveness by around that same time. Right? 还记得这个词吗?就是从六岁起故意控制食物摄入量, 同时使自己的身材保持在 大家认为的美的范围。对吧?
restricting:n.整形,限制;扼流;v.限制(restrict的ing形式); intake:n.摄取量;通风口;引入口;引入的量; on purpose:有目的地,故意地; defining:v.解释(词语)的含义;给(词语)下定义;阐明;界定;(define的现在分词) attractiveness:n.吸引力;迷惑力;
Yes?
Right, Bradley, okay, excellent point. 对的,布莱德利,真棒,
So there was a lucrative market in that society in convincing all people they had to look a certain way to even have a sex life, right? 所以在那时的市场利润是巨大的, 来看待一切包括性生活
lucrative:adj.有利可图的,赚钱的;合算的; convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
But girls, especially , were expected to be "sexy" while avoiding being perceived as " sluts " for being sexual. Right? 但是特别是女孩, 但又绝不能放荡.对吧?
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词) sluts:荡妇;懒妇;母狗(slut的名词复数);
So there's that shame piece we've heard about. 这是我们听到的羞耻的一部分。
Yes. 对。
Valerie, right? Okay, very good. 瓦莱丽,对吧?很好,非常好。
Of course, men were having sex as well, but you'll remember from the reading, what were male sluts called? 当然,男人们也会做爱, 但是你要知道, 男人如果放荡,他们会被怎么评论?
Very good, they were called men. 非常好,他们是男人啊。
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(鼓掌声)
So not easy living in a world like that, right? 活在那样的世界也不是件轻松的事,对吧?
Though it was not all bad news either. 也不都是坏消息。
Most women in the early 2000s considered themselves empowered , and men generally felt they were also evolved in this area, and, in fact, most people would have been aware of issues like human trafficking, for example, but they would have seen that as quite separate from more recreational adult entertainment. 21世纪初大部分的女性, 男性普遍也认为自己在进步着, 而事实上,大部分的人会关心 人口贩卖这种问题, 但他们绝对不会将这些与 娱乐性的成人产业联系在一起。
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式) generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) recreational:adj.娱乐的,消遣的;休养的;
And so we'll just very briefly , class -- we don't have a lot of time -- we'll just very briefly hear from a man on our topic at this stage. 我们得快点,同学们-- 我们接下去会听到一位男性 对这个话题的简单观点。
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地;
So this next subject was interviewed on the night of his bachelor party . 接下去的这位是在他的单身之夜被采访的。
bachelor party:n.男子婚前聚会(常在结婚前一夜举行,招待男性朋友);
Dude , can you, all right, can you just keep it down? 伙计们,你们能声音小点吗?
Dude:n.男人,小伙子;(非正式)花花公子;
I'm trying to talk to BERT right now. 我现在要和BERT说话。
Oh, your name's not BERT. 噢,你不是BERT。
BERT's the name of the, oh, all right. BERT是……,噢,好吧。
No, no, no, totally, it's totally fine. I'm mostly sober , so I just want to be helpful. 不,不,不,完全没问题。我没醉, 我想我可以帮上忙。
sober:adj.冷静的,清醒的;未醉的;v.使严肃;使醒酒,使清醒;
Yeah, and I totally believe in causes, yeah, like, all that stuff . 我完全相信因果那套。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
(Laughter) (笑声)
And actually, I'm wearing Toms right now. 实际上,我现在就穿着汤姆斯。
Yeah, Toms, like, the shoes, like, you buy a pair and then a kid in Africa gets clean water. 对,汤姆斯,比如说他们的鞋子, 你每买一双,
Yeah. Totally. 对。就是这样。
But what was the question again? Sorry. 但是你刚才问了什么?不好意思。
Of course I believe in women's rights. I'm marrying a woman. 我当然相信妇女权利。
(Laughter) (笑声)
No, but I mean, like, just because I'm in a strip club parking lot doesn't mean that I'm, like, a sexist or whatever. 不,我的意思是, 就认为我是个性别歧视者或是别的什么。
strip club:n.脱衣舞夜总会; parking lot:n.停车场; sexist:n.性别歧视者;男性至上主义者;adj.性别主义者的;性别歧视者的;
My fiancee is totally amazing, she's totally a strong girl, woman, smart woman, like, the whole thing. 我的未婚妻是个令人敬佩的人, 我的未婚妻是个令人敬佩的人,
fiancee:n.(法)未婚妻;
Yeah, she knows I'm here. She's probably at a strip club herself right now, like, as a joke, same as me. 对,她知道我在这。 哈哈,开玩笑的。
My best man , I told him he could surprise me, and he thought this would be hilarious , but this is not something. 我跟我的伴郎说 他应该是觉得这挺好玩的, 但其实也没什么特别。
best man:n.伴郎;男傧相; hilarious:adj.欢闹的;非常滑稽的;喜不自禁的;
Yeah, we all went to B school together. 对,我们一起上的商学院。
Wharton. 沃顿商学院。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah, so, dude, can you guys -- 伙计们,你们能--
All right, but it's my bachelor party, and I can spend it in the parking lot with Anderson Cooper if I want to. 好吧,但这是我的单身派对,
All right, I'll see you in there. 好吧,我们里头见。
All right, okay, so Anderson, so, like, first of all, stripping , but then, like, all the other things you're talking about, prostitution and all that stuff, that's, like, not the same thing at all. 好吧,呃,Anderson, 呵呵,首先,脱衣舞 和那什么什么性交易 完全不是两回事儿。
stripping:v.脱光衣服;表演脱衣舞;除去;(尤指)剥光;(strip的现在分词)
You know? Like, you keep calling it the sex industry or whatever, but it's like, if the girl wants to be an exotic dancer and she's 18, like, that's her right. 你知道吗? 但是,如果一个女孩儿年满18岁后 想当艳舞女郎,她完全有这个权利呀。
exotic dancer:n.脱衣舞女;艳舞女郎;
Whoa, whoa, I hear what you're saying, but I just feel like people, they just want to make it seem like all dudes are just, like, predators , that we would just automatically go to a prostitute, or whatever. 哇,哇,我知道你说什么了, 但是我就是觉得人们就是 自发地就去找妓女去了。
dudes:花花公子;纨绔子弟;哥们(dude的名词复数); predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数) automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
Even, like, when I pledged , you know, like when I rushed my fraternity . 就算我发了誓,我去参加兄弟会。
pledged:v.保证给予(或做);正式承诺;抵押(pledge的过去分词和过去式) fraternity:n.友爱;兄弟会;互助会;大学生联谊会;
My brothers who I'm close to, those guys, they're all like me. 我亲近的那些兄弟们,他们都和我很像。
We're just normal people, but, like, there's this myth that you must be that guy who is kind of an asshole , and like, all bros before hos or whatever. 我们只是普通人, 无法理解的是那必须得当重色轻友的混蛋。
myth:n.神话;虚构的人,虚构的事; asshole:n.混蛋;肛门;
And actually, like, bros before hos, it doesn't mean like what it sounds like. 但实际上,重色轻友并不真正是这样,
It's actually just like a joking way of saying that you care about your brothers and you put them first. 实际上这只是对你在乎你的兄弟们 并且将他们放在首位的开玩笑罢了。
Yeah, but, you can't blame the media, either. 对,但你也不能怪媒体。
I mean, like, if you go watch " Hangover 2," 我是说,如果你去看《宿醉2》,
Hangover:n.宿醉;残留物;遗物;
and you think that's an instruction manual for your life, like, I don't know what to tell you. 并且把它作为你人生的信条, 我不知道怎么跟你说。
manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的;
You know? You don't watch " Bourne Identity " 你懂吗?你不会看完《谍影重重》
Bourne:n.小溪;目的地;边界; Identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
and go drive your car over a gondola in Venice . (Laughter) 就把你的车开到威尼斯小划船上。(笑声)
gondola:n.两头尖的平底船;狭长小船;无盖货车; Venice:n.威尼斯(意大利港市);
Well, yeah, okay, like, if you're a little kid or whatever, of course it's different, but -- 呃,对,呃,如果你是个小孩子, 情况当然不一样了,但是--
Yeah, all right, I remember one thing like that. 对,对,我记得一点。
I was at this kid's house one time playing GTA, uh, Grand Theft Auto? 一次我在一个孩子的家里玩GTA, 啊,侠盗猎车手?
Dude, are you from Canada? (Laughter) 哥们,你加拿大来的?(笑声)
So, like, whatever, with Grand Theft Auto, you're this kid, like, you're this guy walking around or whatever, and you can basically, like, the more cops you kill, the more points you get, and stuff like that. 你是《侠盗猎车手》游戏里的玩家, 你到处走, 杀的警察越多, 得到的点数就越高,就那样。
cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数)
But also, you can find prostitutes and obviously you can do sexual stuff with them, but you can, like, kill them and take your money back. 而且,你会在游戏里发现妓女们, 显然,你可以和她们做爱, 当然你在之后也可以杀了她们把钱拿回来。
prostitutes:n.卖淫者;妓女v.滥用才能;出卖肉体(prostitute的第三人称单数和复数)
Yeah, this kid, I remember he ran over a couple of them a few times with his car and he got all these points. 我记得这个孩子用车辗过他们好几次 并且他获得了所有的点数。
We were, like, 10, I think. 当时我们大概10岁。
It felt pretty terrible, actually. 实际上那种感觉很糟糕。
No, I don't think I said anything, I just finished playing and went home. 不,我应该什么都没说,就是玩完就回家了。
All right class, so then there were men who had more than just a passing relationship to this issue. (Laughter) 好了,同学们,我们还有很多 与这话题有更密切关系的男性。(笑声)
The next subject described himself as a reformed and remorseful pimp turned motivational speaker, life coach and therapist , but if you want to know more about him, you'll have to come to the entire play. 下一位是位自称曾做过拉皮条, 现已洗心革面的励志演说家, 人生导师与治疗专家, 但是如果你想要了解更多,
reformed:adj.改革过的;新教的;v.改革(reform的过去分词和过去式); remorseful:adj.懊悔的;悔恨的; pimp:n.皮条客;男妓;vi.拉皮条; motivational:adj.动机的;激发性的;有关动机的;动机说明; life coach:n.人生教练; therapist:n.临床医学家;治疗学家;
Thank you so much, you beautiful TED audience. 非常感谢,你们是最棒的TED听众。
I will see you for "Sell/Buy/Date." 我会在《销售/购买/日期》与你们再见。
(Applause) (鼓掌声)