|
|
SamMartin_2009G-_“人造空间”的奇异世界_
|
So, I am indeed going to talk about the spaces men create for themselves. |
我将要谈论的是 人类为他们自己创造的空间。 |
But first I want to tell you why I'm here. |
但是,首先我想告诉你我为什么来到这里。 |
I'm here for two reasons. These two guys are my two sons Ford and Wren . |
我来这里有两个原因。这是 我的两个儿子,福特和韦恩。 |
Ford:n.福特[姓氏];浅滩;v.涉(水);渡河;津渡; Wren:n.鹪鹩;
|
When Ford was about three years old, we shared a very small room together, in a very small space. |
当福特大概三岁的时候, 我和他共用一个非常小的房间, 一个非常小的空间。 |
My office was on one half of the bedroom. |
我的办公室占一个卧室房间的一半, |
And his bedroom was on the other half . |
他的占另一半。 |
other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
|
And you can imagine, if you're a writer, that things would get really crowded around deadlines . |
可以想见,如果你是一位作家, 临近截稿日那些天这里就会相当拥挤。 |
deadlines:n.截止日期(deadline的复数);
|
So when Wren was on the way, |
所以,当韦恩要出生的时候, |
I realized I needed to find a space of my own. |
我意识到我必须要给我自己另找个地方。 |
There was no more space in the house. So I went out to the backyard . |
因为房子里没有更多的空间了。所以,我只能考虑我家后院。 |
backyard:n.后院;后庭;
|
And without any previous building experience, and about 3,000 dollars and some recycled materials, I built this space. |
我以前没有任何建筑经验, 我用了大约3000美金和一些 环保材料,建成了这个地方。 |
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前; recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的;
|
It had everything I needed. It was quiet. |
这里有我需要的所有东西。很安静。 |
There was enough space. And I had control, which was very important. |
有了足够的空间,我自己能做主了,这很重要。 |
As I was building this space I thought to myself, "Surely I'm not the only guy to have to have carved out a space for his own." |
当我建造这个空间的时候,我对自己说 “我肯定不是那唯一一个 为自己建造一个空间的人。“ |
carved:v.雕刻;刻;把(熟肉)切成块;(carve的过去分词和过去式)
|
So I did some research. |
所以,我做了些调查。 |
And I found that there was an historic precedence . |
我发现早有先例。 |
historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的; precedence:n.优先;居先;
|
Hemingway had his writing space. |
海明威就有他自己的写作空间。 |
Hemingway:n.海明威(美国小说家);
|
Elvis had two or three manspaces, which is pretty unique because he lived with both his wife and his mother in Graceland. |
猫王艾维斯有两三个人造空间, 很独特,因为他和妻子,母亲一起住在Graceland(貓王府邸)。 |
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
|
In the popular culture, Superman had the Fortress of Solitude . |
在大众流行文化里,超人有他自己的总部。 |
Fortress:n.城堡;堡垒;要塞;设防的地方; Solitude:n.孤独;隐居;荒僻的地方;
|
And there was of course, the Batcave. |
当然,蝙蝠侠也有自己的地方。 |
So I realized then that I wanted to go out on a journey and see what guys were creating for themselves now. |
所以,我认为我得出去走走 看看人们现在为自己都建造了些什么。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
Here is one of the first spaces I found. It is in Austin, Texas. |
这是我发现的第一个空间。在田纳西州的奥斯汀。 |
Which is where I'm from. |
那里也是我的故乡。 |
On the outside it looks like a very typical garage , a nice garage. |
从外面看起来它象一个非常典型的车库,很不错的车库。 |
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; garage:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;v.把…送入车库;把(汽车)开进车库;
|
But on the inside, it's anything but. |
但里面可不是。 |
And this, to me, is a pretty classic manspace. |
这个,在我看来,是个非常经典的空间。 |
classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
|
It has neon concert posters , a bar, and, of course, the leg lamp , which is very important. |
这里有霓虹灯音乐会的海报,吧台, 当然,还有个美腿形状的台灯, 这很重要。 |
neon:n.霓虹灯;氖(10号元素,符号Ne); posters:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人;(poster的复数) lamp:n.灯;台灯;(理疗用的)发热灯;
|
I soon realized that manspaces didn't have to be only inside. |
接着我发现空间不仅仅只局限在内部。 |
This guy built a bowling alley in his backyard, out of landscaping timbers , astroturf . |
这个人在他的后院建了一个保龄球道, 就在园林木,人工草皮的外面。 |
bowling alley:保龄球馆;球戏场;滚球槽; landscaping:v.对…做景观美化;美化…的环境;(landscape的现在分词) timbers:n.[木]木材;[木]木料(timber的复数);v.以林木覆盖(timber的三单形式); astroturf:n.阿斯特罗特夫尼龙草皮;
|
And he found the scoreboard in the trash . |
他还在垃圾房上立了比分板。 |
scoreboard:n.记分板,记分牌; trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
|
Here's another outdoor space, a little bit more sophisticated . |
这是另一个户外空间,稍微有点复杂。 |
outdoor:adj.户外的;露天的; sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
|
This a 1923 wooden tugboat , made completely out of Douglas fir. |
这个1923年的木拖船 完全是用道格拉斯冷杉建的。 |
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 tugboat:n.拖船(等于towboat或tug);
|
The guy did it all himself. |
这全是他的主人亲手建造的。 |
And there is about 1,000 square feet of hanging-out space inside. |
这里大概有1000平方英尺的内部活动空间。 |
So, pretty early on in my investigations |
所以,在我最早的调查中 |
investigations:n.调查(investigation的复数);
|
I realized what I was finding was not what I expected to find, which was, quite frankly, a lot of beer can pyramids and overstuffed couches and flat-screen TVs. |
我意识到我那时找的不是我期待要找的东西, 老实说,我找到了很多啤酒罐堆成的金子塔 塞得满满当当的沙发和平板电视机。 |
overstuffed:adj.填塞很多的; v.装填过度; (overstuff的过去式和过去分词) couches:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;vi.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着;vt.使躺下;表达;弯下; flat-screen:adj.(电视或电脑显示器)平面的;n.平面银幕;
|
There were definitely hang-out spots. |
当然还有一些活动区域。 |
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; hang-out:n.某人常去的地方;
|
But some were for working, some were for playing, some were for guys to collect their things. |
但是有些是为了工作,有些是为了娱乐, 有些是为了人们收集物品。 |
Most of all, I was just surprised with what I was finding. |
最重要的是,我很惊讶于我找到的那些东西。 |
Take this place for example. |
以这个地方为例。 |
On the outside it looks like a typical northeastern garage. |
从外面看,这象个典型的东北部的车库。 |
northeastern:adj.在东北的;东北方的;来自东北的;
|
This is in Long Island, New York. |
这是纽约的长岛。 |
The only thing that might tip you off is the round window. |
唯一能给你暗示的就是这个圆型的窗户。 |
tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
|
On the inside it's a recreation of a 16th century Japanese tea house. |
房子内部是一个对 16世纪日本茶屋的改建。 |
recreation:n.娱乐;消遣;娱乐活动;游戏;
|
The man imported all the materials from Japan, and he hired a Japanese carpenter to build it in the traditional style. |
主人从日本进口了所有的原材料, 并聘请了日本木匠 建造成传统风格。 |
carpenter:n.木匠,木工;vi.当木匠,制作; traditional:传统的,惯例的,
|
It has no nails or screws . |
这个房间没有一个钉子或螺丝。 |
screws:n.[机]螺丝; v.用螺钉固定;
|
All the joints are hand-carved and hand-scribed. |
所有衔接处都是纯手工雕琢和手绘的。 |
joints:n.关节; v.接合,联合; (joint的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Here is another pretty typical scene. This is a suburban Las Vegas neighborhood . |
这是另一个非常典型的场景。这是拉斯维加斯的某个郊区。 |
suburban:adj.郊区的,城郊的;土气的;见闻不广的;n.郊区居民; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
|
But you open one of the garage doors and there is a professional-size boxing ring inside. |
但是你打开一扇车库的门 就会看见里面有一个职业拳击台大小的场地。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And so there is a good reason for this. |
建造它有一个好理由。 |
It was built by this man who is Wayne McCullough. |
建造它的人是维恩.麦库洛夫 |
He won the silver medal for Ireland in the 1992 Olympics. |
1992年奥运会 他为爱尔兰赢得过银牌。 |
silver medal:n.银牌;银质奖章;
|
And he trains in the space. He trains other people. |
他在这个空间里培训。他培训其他人。 |
And right off the garage he has his own trophy room where he can sort of bask in his accomplishments , which is another sort of important part about a manspace. |
在车库的右侧,他有一个自己的奖章房间, 在这里他能沉浸于自己的成就之中, 这是关于一个人造空间的另一个重要的组成部分。 |
trophy:n.奖品,奖杯;奖;纪念品,战利品;adj.炫耀的;摆阔的;招摇的; bask:vi.晒太阳;取暖;愉快或舒适;vt.使…晒太阳;使暖和而舒适; accomplishments:n.成就;成绩;才艺;技艺;完成;(accomplishment的复数)
|
So, while this space represents someone's profession , this one certainly represents a passion . |
所以,当这个空间代表某人的职业时, 那么这一个显然代表着一种热情。 |
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
|
It's made to look like the inside of an English sailing ship . |
它内部看起来是一个英国航船。 |
sailing ship:n.(大型)帆船;
|
It's a collection of nautical antiques from the 1700s and 1800s. |
它收藏了很多18世纪到19世纪航海古董。 |
nautical:adj.航海的,海上的;船员的; antiques:n.文物;古物;古董;古玩;v.使显得古色古香;(antique的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Museum quality. |
博物馆级别的。 |
So, as I came to the end of my journey, |
所以,当我结束我的旅行时, |
I found over 50 spaces. |
我找到50多处空间。 |
And they were unexpected and they were surprising. |
他们都很出乎意料,很令我惊奇。 |
unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的;
|
But they were also -- |
但是,他们也 |
I was really impressed by how personalized they were, and how much work went into them. |
留给我非常深刻的印象,他们都那么有个性, 也被人们花费了那么多心血去建造。 |
impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式) personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I realized that's because the guys that I met were all very passionate about what they did. |
我意识到那是因为这些我遇见的人们 都非常热爱他们所从事的。 |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
|
And they really loved their professions . |
他们非常热爱他们自己的职业。 |
professions:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;(profession的复数)
|
And they were very passionate about their collections and their hobbies. |
非常热爱他们的收藏和他们自己的兴趣。 |
And so they created these spaces to reflect what they love to do, and who they were. |
所以,他们创造了这些空间 去反应他们喜欢做的, 和他们自己。 |
reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达;
|
So if you don't have a space of your own, |
所以,如果你不能有一个你自己的空间, |
I highly recommend finding one, and getting into it. |
我强烈建议你去找一个,并且走进去。 |
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;
|
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌声) |