返回首页

SalmanKhan_2011-_视频重塑教育_

The Khan Academy is most known for its collection of videos, so before I go any further, let me show you a little bit of a montage . Khan学院是因为 它大容量的视频而被人们所熟知。 所以在我进一步讲述之前, 先给大家看一些视频剪辑。
Khan:n.可汗(对最高统治者的尊称);商队客店; Academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校; a little bit of a:一点点了; montage:n.蒙太奇(电影的基本结构手段和叙事方式);混合画,拼集的照片;
(Video) Salman Khan: So the hypotenuse is now going to be five. Salmana Khan:所以这个三角形的斜边就是5.
hypotenuse:n.直角三角形的斜边;
This animal's fossils are only found in this area of South America -- a nice clean band here -- and this part of Africa. 这种动物的化石只能在南美洲的这个地区发现, 就是在这个区域。 这部分是非洲。
fossils:n.[古生]化石(fossil复数形式); South America:n.南美洲; band:n.带;波段;频带;箍;v.加彩条(或嵌条等);(将价格、收入等)划分档次;
We can integrate over the surface, and the notation usually is a capital sigma . 我们可以合并来求算面积, 通常用大写字母Σ来表示。
integrate:v.成为一体;(使)加入;adj.完全的; notation:n.符号;乐谱;注释;记号法; sigma:n.希腊文第十八个字母;
National Assembly : They create the Committee of Public Safety, which sounds like a very nice committee. 国民大会:他们创办了公共安全委员会, 这个委员会听起来还不错。
Assembly:n.装配;集会,集合; Committee:n.委员会;
Notice, this is an aldehyde , and it's an alcohol . 注意看,这是羟基, 这是羧基。
aldehyde:n.醛;乙醛; alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料;
Start differentiating into effector and memory cells. 开始分化为效应物和记忆细胞。
differentiating:adj.微分的;v.区别(differentiate的ing形式); effector:n.[生理]效应器;[遗]效应物;操纵装置;
A galaxy . Hey, there's another galaxy . 这是星系,看,那边有另一个星系。
galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人;
Oh look, there's another galaxy. 看,那边还有另一个星系。
And for dollars, is their 30 million, plus the 20 million dollars from the American manufacturer . 这是他们的三千万美元 加上美国制造业的两千万美元。
manufacturer:n.生产商;生产者;制造者;
If this does not blow your mind, then you have no emotion . 如果这个公式不能让你神魂颠倒的话, 你就是毫无情调的。
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
SK: We now have on the order of 2,200 videos covering everything from basic arithmetic all the way to vector calculus and some of the stuff you saw there. SK:我们现在有共计 2200个视频, 它们涵盖了从基础算术 到矢量微积分的全部内容。 而且在你刚刚看到的一些视频中,
arithmetic:n.算术,算法; vector:n.矢量;带菌者;航线;vt.用无线电导航; calculus:n.[病理]结石;微积分学; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
We have a million students a month using the site , watching on the order of 100 to 200,000 videos a day. 每月都有上百万的学生在网站上使用。 这是观看量在100到200,000的视屏排序。
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
But what we're going to talk about in this is how we're going to the next level. 但是现在我们想谈的是 在这个领域如何能上升到更高的层面。
But before I do that, 在谈这个话题之前,
I want to talk a little bit about really just how I got started. 先来简单看一下,它是如何开始的
And some of you all might know, about five years ago I was an analyst at a hedge fund . 有些人可能知道, 五年前,我是名避险基金的分析师。
analyst:n.分析者;精神分析医师;分解者; hedge fund:对冲基金;
And I was in Boston , and I was tutoring my cousins in New Orleans , remotely . 当时,我在波士顿。 当时我正在远程辅导我在新奥尔良的表弟。
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); Orleans:n.奥尔良(法国城市); remotely:adv.遥远地;偏僻地;(程度)极微地,极轻地;
And I started putting the first YouTube videos up really just as a kind of nice-to-have , just a supplement for my cousins -- something that might give them a refresher or something. 于是我就上传了我的第一个Youtube的视屏, 当时 只是想给表弟补习一下 帮助他们复习一下学过的内容
nice-to-have:adj.有益的;不错的;n.有也不错的东西 supplement:v.补充;增补;n.补遗;增补(物);补充(物);添加物; refresher:n.可提神的人或物;补习课程;清凉饮料;增加报酬;adj.专业性复习进修的;
And as soon as I put those first YouTube videos up, something interesting happened -- actually a bunch of interesting things happened. 我上传完我的第一个Youtube视频, 接下来就发生了许多有意思的事。 实际上是一系列有意思的事情接踵而来。
as soon as:一…就; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
The first was the feedback from my cousins. 首先是来自于我表弟们的反馈,
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
They told me that they preferred me on YouTube than in person. 他们告诉我, 比起现实生活中的我,他们更喜欢YouTube上面的我。
preferred:v.较喜欢;喜欢…多于…;(prefer的过去式和过去分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
And once you get over the backhanded nature of that, there was actually something very profound there. 除去这句话中的讽刺意味, 它确实有深层次的含义。
backhanded:adj.间接的; v.用手背打击; (backhand的过去式和过去分词) profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
They were saying that they preferred the automated version of their cousin to their cousin. 他们说 与真人版的相比, 更喜欢自动版的表哥。
automated:adj.自动化的;v.(使)自动化;(automate的过去式和过去分词)
At first, it's very unintuitive, but when you actually think about it from their point of view , it makes a ton of sense. 起先,貌似难以理解, 实则,站在他们的角度上,很容易想通。
point of view:观点;见地;立场;
You have this situation where now they can pause and repeat their cousin, without feeling like they're wasting my time. 如果你也处在和他们一样的处境下 可以让暂停,复读表哥, 而不用考虑浪费表哥的时间。
If they have to review something that they should have learned a couple of weeks ago, or maybe a couple of years ago, they don't have to be embarrassed and ask their cousin. 如果他们想要复习 几周前所学过的东西, 或是几年前学习的东西, 不用感到尴尬的去问表哥,
embarrassed:adj.尴尬的;窘迫的;v.使...局促不安;(embarrass的过去分词和过去式)
They can just watch those videos. If they're bored they can go ahead. 只需要看一下那些相关视频就可以了。当然是在他们厌烦自己再去学习的时候。
bored:adj.无聊的;厌倦的;烦闷的;v.使厌烦;钻,凿,挖;(bore的过去分词和过去式)
They can watch it at their own time, at their own pace. 他们可以在自己的地方,用自己的时间来观看。
And probably the least appreciated aspect of this is the notion that the very first time, the very first time that you're trying to get your brain around a new concept, the very last thing you need is another human being saying, "Do you understand this?" 也可能是因为你最不想发生的是 在你第一次 第一次 想让你的大脑掌握一个新概念的时候 你最不需要的 是有人问你 “明白了吗?”
appreciated:v.欣赏;感激;理解;(appreciate的过去分词和过去式) aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位; notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
And that's what was happening with the interaction with my cousins before. 这就是之前在我和表弟互动学习的经历。
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
And now they can just do it in the intimacy of their own room. 而如今,他们在自己的空间 就可以完成这种舒适的互动学习。
intimacy:n.亲密;密切;关系密切;性行为;
The other thing that happened is -- 另外的有意思的事情是这样的:
I put them on YouTube just -- 我把视频放在了YouTube上,
I saw no reason to make it private, so I let other people watch it. 当时我觉得没有理由把它们当成隐私, 所以任何人都可以观看。
And then people started stumbling on it. 然后人们无意中发现了它们,
stumbling:v.绊脚;蹒跚而行;(不顺畅地)说,读,演奏(stumble的现在分词)
And I started getting some comments and some letters and all sorts of feedback from random people from around the world. 所以我就收到了许多的评论和信件。 这些反馈来自于 世界各处的人们
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
And these are just a few. 下面我们来看其中的一小部分。
This is actually from one of the original calculus videos. 这条评论是出自微积分视频的原始的评论。
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
And someone wrote just on YouTube -- it was a YouTube comment: "First time I smiled doing a derivative ." 是有人在YouTube上 写下的评论。 这是第一次我笑着做导数题。
derivative:n.[化学]衍生物,派生物;导数;adj.派生的;引出的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And let's pause here. 我想在这暂停一下。
This person did a derivative and then they smiled. 这个人在做导数题, 而且是笑着做题的。
And then in a response to that same comment -- this is on the thread . 下面是对这条评论的一个回应:这是在线的,
response:n.响应;反应;回答; thread:n.螺纹;线索;思路;脉络;v.穿过;穿(针);纫(针);(使)穿过;
You can go on YouTube and look at these comments -- someone else wrote: "Same thing here. 你可以在Youtube上找到这些评论 另一个人写到,“同样的事情也发生在我身上,
I actually got a natural high and a good mood for the entire day. 我真的是度过了高兴和兴奋的一天”。
mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛;
Since I remember seeing all of this matrix text in class, and here I'm all like, 'I know kung fu.'" 虽然我记起 自己在班上看过矩阵课本 我更喜欢这里的,好像是“我学会了绝世武功”。
matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And we get a lot of feedback all along those lines. 随后,我们随时都能收到许多的反馈。
This clearly was helping people. 很明显,这可以帮助别人。
But then, as the viewership kept growing and kept growing, 但是,随着观看的观众的日益增长,
viewership:n.电视观众的总称;
I started getting letters from people, and it was starting to become clear that it was actually more than a nice-to-have. 我开始收到人们发过来的信件。 状况开始发生变化, 这不仅仅是只是一个小小的善举
This is just an excerpt from one of those letters. 下面是其中一封来信 中的一小段
excerpt:n.摘录,引用;vt.引用,摘录;vi.摘录,引用;
'"My 12 year-old son has autism and has had a terrible time with math. 我十二岁的儿子患有孤独症, 他对数学有极度的恐惧
autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义;
We have tried everything, viewed everything, bought everything. 我们试遍了所有的方法, 观看了所有能看的,买了所有可以帮助他学习的东西,都不起作用。
We stumbled on your video on decimals and it got through. 我们无意中发现了你讲小数的视频,然后它竟然奏效了。
stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式) decimals:n.[数]小数(decimal的复数形式);位数;
Then we went on to the dreaded fractions . Again, he got it. 之后,我们又进入到可怕的分数。他又学会了。
dreaded:adj.令人畏惧的,可怕的;v.惧怕(dread的过去分词); fractions:n.[数]分数;小部分,片段(fraction的复数);
We could not believe it. 简直难以置信。
He is so excited." 他很是兴奋。
And so you can imagine, here I was an analyst at a hedge fund. 你可以想象的到这种状况。 之前我是名避险分析师,
It was very strange for me to do something of social value. 很难想象我会去做一些对社会有意义的事。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
But I was excited, so I kept going. 我很是兴奋,于是我继续前进。
And then a few other things started to dawn on me. 接下来发生的一系列的事让我明白
dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟;
That, not only would it help my cousins right now, or these people who are sending letters, but that this content will never go old, that it could help their kids or their grandkids . 现在不光可以帮助自己的表弟 和那些写信过来的人们 因为这些视频不会老化, 它还可以帮助到他们的孩子们, 或是孙子们。
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; grandkids:n.(外)孙;(外)孙女;(grandkid的复数)
If Isaac Newton had done YouTube videos on calculus, 如果艾萨克.牛顿 已经把数学方面的视频放到youtube上,
Newton:n.牛顿(英国科学家);牛顿(力的单位);
I wouldn't have to. 我现在也就不用做这些了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Assuming he was good. We don't know. 假设他视频做的很好。做得好不好,我们也不知道。
Assuming:conj.假设…为真; adj.傲慢的; v.假定; (assume的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
The other thing that happened -- and even at this point, I said, "Okay, maybe it's a good supplement. 另外还有事情发生, 当时,我想,“嗯,可能这是一个不错的课堂的增补。”
It's good for motivated students. 它对积极性高的学生很有用。
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
It's good for maybe home schoolers." 也许对在家学习的学生来说,这也很好。
But I didn't think it would be something that would somehow penetrate the classroom. 但当时我的确没想到 它会在某种程度上影响到学校的教学。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; penetrate:v.渗透;进入;穿过;看透;
But then I started getting letters from teachers. 然后,我开始收到老师的来信,
And the teachers would write, saying, "We use your videos to flip the classroom. 在信中,老师说, 我们把你的视频引入课室,
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
You've given the lectures, so now what we do ... " 你给学生讲课,所以现在我们所做的是....
and this could happen in every classroom in America tomorrow, " ... what I do is I assign the lectures for homework. 没准这样的情形明天也会在美国的每间课室发生, “...我所做的就是分配视频讲座给学生,
assign:v.指定;指派;转让;分派;n.[法]受让人;
And what used to be homework, 这曾经是家庭作业,
I now have the students doing in the classroom." 但现在学生在教室做家庭作业”。
And I want to pause here for -- 说到这,我想暂停一下,
(Applause) (掌声)
I want to pause here for a second, because there's a couple of interesting things. 我之所以想在这暂停 是因为发生了好多有趣的事
One, when those teachers are doing that, there's the obvious benefit -- the benefit that now their students can enjoy the videos in the way that my cousins did. 第一,当那些老师们这样做的时候, 很明显,是有益的, 益处是现在他们的学生 可以像我表弟那样来享受那些视频。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; in the way:妨碍;挡道;
They can pause, repeat at their own pace, at their own time. 他们可以按照自己的节奏,暂停,复读 在他们自己的时间内做这些事情。
But the more interesting thing is -- and this is the unintuitive thing when you talk about technology in the classroom -- by removing the one size fits all lecture from the classroom 但更有趣的是, 这成为一件科技影像教学的客观事实, 它除去了对全班用一个节奏讲课
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫
and letting students have a self-paced lecture at home, and then when you go to the classroom, letting them do work, having the teacher walk around, having the peers actually be able to interact with each other, these teachers have used technology to humanize the classroom. 它让学生在家按自己的节奏进行学习。 之后,回到课室,在有老师指导的情况下, 自己进行他们的学习。 同龄人之间可以进行配合, 老师运用了科技力量将 课堂进行了人性化。
peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式); humanize:vt.教化;赋予人性;使通人情;vi.变为有人性;有教化;
They took a fundamentally dehumanizing experience -- 30 kids with their fingers on their lips, not allowed to interact with each other. 他们都经历过非人性化的教学, 30个孩子不许讲话, 不许互相配合,
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 dehumanizing:vt.使成兽性;使失掉人性;
A teacher, no matter how good, has to give this one size fits all lecture to 30 students -- blank faces, slightly antagonistic -- and now it's a human experience. 一个不论多么优秀的教师, 都不得不按同一个步调 给30个学生讲课。 面无表情的脸庞,小小的 而现在是人性化的经历。
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; antagonistic:adj.敌对的;对抗性的;反对的;
Now they're actually interacting with each other. 现在他们可以互相合作来完成作业。
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词)
So once the Khan Academy -- Khan学院一建立,
I quit my job and we turned into a real organization -- we're a not-for-profit -- the question is, how do we take this to the next level? 我就辞去了原来的工作, 然后大家一起组建了一个实体组织, 我们不是为了盈利, 问题是,我们如何将现有的再提升一个水平?
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; not-for-profit:adj.非营利的;无利可图的;
How do we take what those teachers are doing to their natural conclusion ? 如何做才能得到 老师那些自然的结论?
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
And so what I'm showing you over here, these are actual exercises that I started writing for my cousins. 现在我展示给大家看的 都是一些实际的练习 是最初我为表弟而做的。
The ones I started were much more primitive . 刚开始做的那些比这些更为原始,
primitive:adj.原始的,远古的;简单的,粗糙的;n.原始人;
This is a more competent version of it. 这是它的一个改进版。
competent:adj.胜任的;有能力的;能干的;足够的;
But the paradigm here is, we'll generate as many questions as you need until you get that concept, until you get 10 in a row. 但基本的框架是在的,我们会编出你所需要的问题的数量 直到你弄明白这个概念, 也就是直到你拿到10分为止。
paradigm:n.范例;词形变化表; generate:v.产生;引起;
And the Khan Academy videos are there. 所有Khan学院的视频都是这样。
You get hints , the actual steps for that problem, if you don't know how to do it. 如果你不知道怎样做的时候, 你会得到提示,实际解决问题的步骤。
hints:n.暗示,提示(hint的复数形式);v.暗示,示意(hint的单三形式);
But the paradigm here, it seems like a very simple thing: 10 in a row, you move on. 模式是很简单的, 满10分,继续前进,
But it's fundamentally different than what's happening in classrooms right now. 但这与现今课堂上的方式大为不同。
different than:不同于;
In a traditional classroom, you have a couple of homework, homework, lecture, homework, lecture, and then you have a snapshot exam. 在传统教学中, 你会有一些家庭作业, 作业,上课,作业,上课, 然后呢会有一个阶段性的测试。
traditional:传统的,惯例的, snapshot:n.快照,快相;急射,速射;简单印象;vt.给…拍快照;vi.拍快照;
And that exam, whether you get a 70 percent, an 80 percent, a 90 percent, or a 95 percent, the class moves on to the next topic. 在考试中,不论你是得了70分,80分, 90分,还是95分, 讲课内容都会继续到下一章。
And even that 95 percent student, what was the five percent they didn't know? 就是对得95分的学生来说, 另外的丢失的5分去哪里了,他们还是不知道。
Maybe they didn't know what happens when you raise something to the zero power. 可能你讲零功率的时候,他们都不知道到底发生了什么事。
And then you go build on that in the next concept. 然后你又继续在这个概念上讲述下一个概念。
That's analogous to imagine learning to ride a bicycle, and maybe I give you a lecture ahead of time, and I give you that bicycle for two weeks. 这很像这样一种 学习骑自行车的过程: 我提前给你讲了骑自行车的内容, 之后我给了你一辆自行车和两周的时间,
analogous:adj.类似的;[昆]同功的;可比拟的;
And then I come back after two weeks, and I say, "Well, let's see. You're having trouble taking left turns. 两周后,我回来了, 说,“奥,你左转弯有点问题,
You can't quite stop. 你不会紧急刹车,
You're an 80 percent bicyclist ." 你算得上是个80分的骑者。”
bicyclist:n.骑脚踏车者;
So I put a big C stamp on your forehead and then I say, "Here's a unicycle ." 然后,我就在你脑门上印上了大C做标记, 说“这是你的独轮车。”
forehead:n.前额; unicycle:n.单轮车;独轮脚踏车;
But as ridiculous as that sounds, that's exactly what's happening in our classrooms right now. 听起来很荒谬可笑, 但这的确是在现实中发生的, 就在我们班上就出现过类似的情况。
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
And the idea is you fast forward and good students start failing algebra all of a sudden and start failing calculus all of a sudden, despite being smart, despite having good te achers. 如果你回忆一下, 好学生开始突然就在代数上跌倒, 开始栽在在微积分上, 尽管还是同样的聪明,同样的有老师在指导。
algebra:n.代数学; all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地;
And it's usually because they have these Swiss cheese gaps that kept building throughout their foundation . 之所以出现这样的情况是因为他们在有 瑞士干奶酪沟这样的地基上建筑。
Swiss cheese:n.瑞士干酪(中间有孔); gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
So our model is learn math the way you'd learn anything, like the way you would learn a bicycle. 所以我们关于 学习数学的方法就是学习任何东西的方法, 这也和学习骑自行车是一样的道理。
Stay on that bicycle. Fall off that bicycle. 确保在自行车上,从自行车上摔落,
Do it as long as necessary until you have mastery . 一直练习直到你精通它为止。
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; mastery:n.掌握;精通;优势;征服;统治权;
The traditional model, it penalizes you for experimentation and failure, but it does not expect mastery. 传统的方式 总是惩罚你的尝试和失误, 但不会期望你精通它。
penalizes:vt.处罚;处刑;使不利; experimentation:n.实验;试验;
We encourage you to experiment. We encourage you to failure. 而我们鼓励去试验尝试,鼓励去失败,
But we do expect mastery. 但我们要求你达到精通。
This is just another one of the modules . 这又是另一个课题。
modules:n.[计]模块(module的复数);加载模块列表;
This is trigonometry . 这是一个三角习题。
trigonometry:n.三角法;
This is shifting and reflecting functions. 这是移位和反应函数,
shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词) reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词)
And they all fit together. 它们都是有联系的。
We have about 90 of these right now. 我们现在有大约90个这样的视频。
And you can go to the site right now. It's all free. Not trying to sell anything. 你现在就可以登录网站查找。全是免费的,我们不推销任何东西。
But the general idea is that they all fit into this knowledge map. 总体架构都在这个认知图里。
That top node right there, that's literally single digit addition . 最上面的那个节点,是单一的数字加法。
node:n.节点;结点;茎节;(根或枝上的)节; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: digit:n.数字;手指或足趾;一指宽; addition:n.添加;[数]加法;增加物;
It's like one plus one is equal to two. 就像一加一等于二一样。
And the paradigm is, once you get 10 in a row on that, it keeps forwarding you to more and more advanced modules. 模式是这样的,只要你得到了10分, 它就会让你进入到更高一级的单元。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式)
So if you keep further down the knowledge map, we're getting into more advanced arithmetic. 如果你深挖这个认知图的话, 就会进入到更高级的算术中去。
Further down, you start getting into pre-algebra and early algebra. 继续前进,就到了准代数学和早期的代数。
Further down, you start getting into algebra one, algebra two, a little bit of precalculus . 继续,就开始了代数一,代数二的学习, 会涉及一点学微积分前必修的课程。
precalculus:adj.学习微积分前必修的;n.学习微积分前必修的课程;
And the idea is, from this we can actually teach everything -- well, everything that can be taught in this type of a framework. 这种方法即适应于教授任何的东西, 当然,也适用于任何东西的学习。 在这类的框架之中。
So you can imagine -- and this is what we are working on -- is from this knowledge map you have logic , you have computer programming, you have grammar, you have genetics , all based off of that core of, if you know this and that, now you're ready for this next concept. 所以你可以想象,我们现在所做的是 从知识图中 找到逻辑,计算机编程, 语法,遗传学, 都基于这个核心 假如你明白了这些 你就准备好迎接下面的概念
logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的; genetics:n.遗传学; core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
Now that can work well for an individual learner, and I encourage, one, for you to do it with your kids, but I also encourage everyone in the audience to do it yourself. 现在这个系统同样适用于独立的学习者 所以我鼓励你,一个人,或是和孩子一起 但我也提议在场的每一听众都来参与。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
It'll change what happens at the dinner table . 这将会改变在饭桌上所讨论的话题。
dinner table:n.餐桌;同一桌进餐;
But what we want to do is to use the natural conclusion of the flipping of the classroom that those early teachers had emailed me about. 但我们想做的是 用给我们写信来的教师提到 的在课堂中运用视频得出的自然结论
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词)
And so what I'm showing you here, this is actually data from a pilot in the Los Altos school district , where they took two fifth grade classes and two seventh grade classes and completely gutted their old math curriculum . 接下来我所展示的内容 都是来自于Los Altos 学区的真实数据。 在那里,我们选了五年级的两个班级和七年级的两个班级 来瓦解掉他们传统的数学学习方式。
Altos:n.男最高音;女低音;中音部(alto的复数); school district:n.学区; gutted:adj.十分伤心; v.损毁(建筑物或房屋的)内部; (gut的过去分词和过去式) curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
These kids aren't using textbooks, they're not getting one size fits all lectures. 这些孩子不用课本, 也不用听老师千篇一律的授课,
They're doing Khan Academy, they're doing that software, for roughly half of their math class. 他们都在用Khan Academy上的软件来进行 约半节课的数学课程的学习。
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
And I want to make it clear, we don't view this as the complete math education. 我想说的更清楚一点,我们没有用它来进行完整的一堂课的数学教学
What it does is -- and this is what's happening in Los Altos -- it frees up time. 这就是在Los Altos 学区所进行的- 是因为这样学生有了更多的自由时间。
This is the blocking and tackling , making sure you know how to move through a system of equations , and it frees up time for the simulations , for the games, for the mechanics , for the robot building, for the estimating how high that hill is based on its shadow. 这样能实现分组处理和解决问题的能力, 确保学生明白如何解方程组, 它同时也腾出时间让学生进行模仿,游戏, 机械操作,和机器人制作, 通过影子来估算山高。
tackling:n.装备,用具;扭住;v.处理;抓住;(tackle的现在分词); equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式); simulations:n.[计]模拟(simulation的复数);[计]仿真; mechanics:n.机械师;机械修理工;技工;力学;机械学;(mechanic的复数) estimating:v.估价;估算;(estimate的现在分词)
And so the paradigm is the teacher walks in every day, every kid works at their own pace -- and this is actually a live dashboard from Los Altos school district -- and they look at this dashboard. 所以这样的例子是老师每天在教室里, 学生以自己的步调进行学习, 这就Los Altos 学区的现场片段。 他们都在看这个表格。
dashboard:n.汽车等的仪表板;马车等前部的挡泥板;
Every row is a student. 每一排代表一名学生,
Every column is one of those concepts. 每一列是一门课程,
column:n.栏目,纵队;
Green means the student's already proficient . 绿色表示已经熟练掌握,
proficient:adj.熟练的,精通的;n.精通;专家,能手;
Blue means they're working on it -- no need to worry. 蓝色表示正在学习的课程 -- 不用担心
Red means they're stuck. 红色表示有困难的课程,
And what the teacher does is literally just say, "Let me intervene on the red kids." 实际上,老师所做的就是 “让我来看看这些红色的孩子碰到了什么困难。”
intervene:vi.干涉;调停;插入;
Or even better, "Let me get one of the green kids who are already proficient in that concept to be the first line of attack and actually tutor their peer." 或者好点说,“让我找个绿色的孩子 (他已经精通了这课程) 放在第一排, 来指导他的同龄人。
(Applause) (掌声)
Now I come from a very data-centric reality, so we don't want that teacher to even go and intervene and have to ask the kid awkward questions: "Oh, what do you not understand?" or "What do you do understand?" 这是一个以数据为中心的现实 所以我们不希望老师走过去甚至问学生 “有什么不懂的问题?” 或是“哪不明白?”这样类似的问题
awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的;
and all of the rest. 等等。
So our paradigm is to really arm the teachers with as much data as possible -- really data that, in almost any other field, is expected, if you're in finance or marketing or manufacturing . 所以我们这个模式旨在让老师尽可能的依靠数据, 真实的数据,在别的领域,像所期待的那样, 在你的经济或是市场营销或是制造业。
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
And so the teachers can actually diagnose what's wrong with the students so they can make their interaction as productive as possible. 老师能很快的依靠数据来找出学生的问题, 让他们的指导意见卓有成效。
diagnose:vt.诊断;断定;vi.诊断;判断; productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
So now the teachers know exactly what the students have been up to, how long they have been spending every day, what videos have they been watching, when did they pause the videos, what did they stop watching, what exercises are they using, what have they been focused on? 现在老师明白了学生真实达到的水平, 每天花多长时间,都看了那些视频, 和他们在什么地方暂停的视频,以及哪部分是停止观看的, 他们做了哪些练习, 关注点是什么?
The outer circle shows what exercises they were focused on. 外圈表示学生做过的练习,
outer:adj.外面的,外部的;远离中心的;n.环外命中;
The inner circle shows what videos they're focused on. 内圈表示学生现在在观看的视频
inner circle:n.核心集团;
And the data gets pretty granular so you can see the exact problems that the student got right or wrong. 数据库是高粒度的, 所以很容易就可以准确看到学生做错的问题,
granular:adj.颗粒的;粒状的;
Red is wrong, blue is right. 红色表示错误,蓝色表示正确,
The leftmost question is the first question that the student attempted . 最左边的问题是学生尝试解决的第一个问题。
leftmost:adj.最左边的; attempted:adj.未遂的;v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的过去分词和过去式)
They watched the video right over there. 他们在这观看视频,
And then you can see, eventually , they were able to get 10 in a row. 然后就像你所看到的一样,最后终于,他们得到了10分,
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
It's almost like you can see them learning over those last 10 problems. 就像你可以亲眼看到他们是如何努力得到这十分一样。
They also got faster. 他们的速度在加快,
The height is how long it took them. 高度表示所需的时间,
So when you talk about self-paced learning, it makes sense for everyone -- in education-speak, differentiated learning -- but it's kind of crazy when you see it in a classroom. 当谈到学生按自我步调学习时, 对每个人都有意义,就教育而言,因材施教, 但当你亲眼见到班级的情况时还是会很吃惊,
differentiated:adj.分化型;已分化的;可区分的;v.使有差别(differentiate的过去分词);
Because every time we've done this, in every classroom we've done, over and over again , if you go five days into it, there's a group of kids who've raced ahead and there's a group of kids who are a little bit slower. 因为每次我们做调查, 在任何一个班级, 假设我们拿五天来调查, 都会有一群孩子们领先, 而还有另一群孩子们紧跟其上。
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
And in a traditional model, if you did a snapshot assessment , you say, "These are the gifted kids, these are the slow kids. 在传统教学中,如果你做个小测试, 你会根据结果说“这是有天份的学生,这是反应慢的学生”
assessment:n.评定;估价; gifted:adj.有天赋的;有才华的;
Maybe they should be tracked differently. 或许他们会被区别对待,
tracked:v.跟踪;追踪;(track的过去分词和过去式)
Maybe we should put them in different classes." 或许我们会将他们分在不同的班级里。
But when you let every student work at their own pace -- and we see it over and over and over again -- you see students who took a little bit extra time on one concept or the other, but once they get through that concept, they just race ahead. 但是当让学生按自己的步调学习的话, 我们不止一次的看到, 你会发现在 某章节上费力的学生 他们一旦攻下了那个概念, 就会后来者居上。
extra time:n.[体]加时(赛);延长(赛);
And so the same kids that you thought were slow six weeks ago, you now would think are gifted. 所以说,我们六周前认为反应慢的学生 现在成了有天分的学生。
And we're seeing it over and over and over again. 这种情况发生了一次又一次,
And it makes you really wonder how much all of the labels maybe a lot of us have benefitted from were really just due to a coincidence of time. 使得我们思考 现在我们已经获得各种标签 会有多大程度上来自于时间的巧合。
labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式); benefitted:适合于...(benefit的过去式和过去分词);对...有利;有益于...; coincidence:n.巧合,巧事;同时存在;并存;相同;
Now as valuable as something like this is in a district like Los Altos, our goal is to use technology to humanize, not just in Los Altos, but on a global scale , what's happening in education. 就像Los Altos 学区所获得 这样有价值的信息一样, 我们的目标是用科技的力量 来人性化教学,不仅仅是在Los Altos 学区,乃是在全球范围内。 现在在教育界所发生的这一切,
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
And actually, that kind of brings an interesting point. 实际上,给我们带来了兴趣点。
A lot of the effort in humanizing the classroom is focused on student-to-teacher ratios . 很好人性化教学的做法都把 关注点放在了教师与学生的比率上。
ratios:n.比率(ratio的复数); v.以比率表示;
In our mind, the relevant metric is student-to-valuable-human-time- with-the-teacher ratio. 在我们的观念里,衡量标准是 学生得到了老师 多少的时间比率。
relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的; metric:adj.米制的;公制的;按公制制作的;用公制测量的;
So in a traditional model, most of the teacher's time is spent giving lectures and grading and whatnot . 在传统模式下,大部分老师的时间, 花费在了备课和评级这些不该重视的方面。
whatnot:n.放古董的架子;不可名状的东西;
Maybe five percent of their time is actually sitting next to students and actually working with them. 也许只有5%的时间是老师和学生真正在一起 辅导他们学习的时间。
Now 100 percent of their time is. 而现在老师的百分之百时间都是和学生在一起了。
So once again, using technology, not just flipping the classroom, you're humanizing the classroom, I'd argue, by a factor of five or 10. 再一次声明,科技不仅仅能让课堂变得有趣, 而且也能是课堂更加人性化, 效果可达到5倍或者10倍。
factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
And as valuable as that is in Los Altos, imagine what that does to the adult learner who's embarrassed to go back and learn stuff that they should have before, before going back to college. 想在Los Altos学区发生的这么宝贵的经验 如果在成年学习者身上也这样实践的话, 谁还会为回头学习以前学过本应该会的东西 而感到尴尬。
Imagine what it does to a street kid in Calcutta who has to help his family during the day, and that's the reason why he or she can't go to school. 试想 它会对一个由于每天 都要帮助家里而不能上学的 加尔各答的街童产生多大的影响。
Calcutta:n.加尔各答(印度城市);
Now they can spend two hours a day and remediate , or get up to speed and not feel embarrassed about what they do or don't know. 现在他们只要每天花上两个小时的时间 就可以知道以前不知道的东西, 而不再会感到尴尬。
remediate:治疗的; get up to speed:快速进入状况;另一个意思是了解最新的事态发展;
Now imagine what happens where -- we talked about the peers teaching each other inside of a classroom. 试想一下,走进班级 我们可以看到同龄的学生 之间进行指导帮助对方的情况。
But this is all one system. 但是在这个系统中,
There's no reason why you can't have that peer-to-peer tutoring beyond that one classroom. 我们就会看到 同龄学生之间的 互相指导帮助。
peer-to-peer:n.对等;对等网络;
Imagine what happens if that student in Calcutta all of a sudden can tutor your son, or your son can tutor that kid in Calcutta? 再试想一下在加尔各答的学生 如果突然之间可以指导你的儿子 或者你的儿子可以指导加尔各答的学生,这会发生什么情况?
And I think what you'll see emerging is this notion of a global one-world classroom. 我想到那时你所看到就是 一个全球化的学习。
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词) one-world:同一个世界;寰宇一家(世界三大航空联盟之一);
And that's essentially what we're trying to build. 而这种全球化地学习状况正是我们想努力创建的。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)
Bill Gates: I've seen some things you're doing in the system that have to do with with motivation and feedback -- energy points, merit badges . 比尔盖茨:我已经注意到你在这个系统中也 加入了一些激励措施, 像是能量点数,荣誉徽章之类的。
have to do with:与…有关; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; merit:n.价值;优点;功绩;美德;v.值得;应得; badges:n.[轻]徽章(badge的复数);v.以…为标志;授予…奖章(badge的三单形式);
Tell me what you're thinking there? 谈谈你对这个问题的想法。
SK: Oh yeah. No, we have an awesome team working on it. SK:是的。我们有一个超棒的团队,
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
And I have to make it clear, it's not just me anymore. 我要声明一下,我不是一个人在奋斗。
I'm still doing all the videos, but we have a rockstar team doing the software. 是的,我仍然在做视屏, 但是我们的团队是在做软件这部分。
rockstar:摇滚歌星(游戏名);
Yeah, we've put a bunch of game mechanics in there where you get these badges, we're going to start having leader boards by area, and you get points. 不错,我们放了一些游戏在里面, 从那里你可以得到徽章。 我们将在那里组建领导理事会,然后学生就可以得到点数。
It's actually been pretty interesting. 事实上,是很有意思的。
Just the wording of the badging or how many points you get for doing something, we see on a system-wide basis, like tens of thousands of fifth graders or sixth graders going one direction or another, depending what badge you give them. 只是告诉所需要的徽章和多少点数, 当然,是基于整个系统而言, 你就可以看到上千的五年级或是六年级的学生, 全都向一个方向前进, 当然是基于你给他们的徽章。
badging:v.落款;饰章;印商标(badge的ing形式); system-wide:adj.全系统的;系统范围的;系统级的;整个系统的; graders:分级机;分类机;…年级学生;[建]平地机(grader的复数);
(Laughter) (笑声)
BG: And the collaboration you're doing with Los Altos, how did that come about? 比尔盖茨:你现在和Los Altos 学区所进行的合作, 是如何开始的?
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
SK: Los Altos, it was kind of crazy. SK:与这个学区的合作是很有些出乎意料的。
Once again, I didn't expect it to be used in classrooms. 我都没期望过它会被用在课堂上。
Someone from their board came and said, " What would you do if you had carte blanche in a classroom?" 其中有个理事有次来我这,说 “如果我授权给你,教学你会如何设置?”
What would you do if:如果…你会怎么做?; carte blanche:n.自由行使权;全权;
And I said, "Well, I would just, every student work at their own pace on something like this and we'd give a dashboard." 当时,我回答:“我会设立排行榜之类的张贴榜, 让学生进行自主学习。
And they said, "Oh, this is kind of radical . We have to think about it." 然后理事说,“这个比较激进,我们得好好考虑一下”。
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
And me and the rest of the team were like, "They're never going to want to do this." 我和团队的其它成员都以为 他们压根不会同意。
But literally the next day they were like, "Can you start in two weeks?" 但是明天他们就答复说“你能在两周之内开始吗?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
BG: So fifth grade math is where that's going on right now? 比尔盖茨:五年级的数学现在是用来给你们测试?
SK: It's two fifth grade classes and two seventh grade classes. SK:从那个学区上来看,
And they're doing it at the district level. 有两个五年级的班和两个七年级的班级参加这次的试验。
I think what they're excited about is they can now follow these kids. 我想对这些班级的孩子来说,很兴奋能 追逐其它的孩子的学习,
It's not an only-in-school thing. 这不仅仅只是校内的事情。
We've even, on Christmas, we saw some of the kids were doing it. 甚至是在圣诞节,我们都看到一些学生在做题。
And we can track everything. 我们可以跟踪记录一切。
So they can actually track them as they go through the entire district. 他们实际上可以追踪整个学区。
Through the summers, as they go from one teacher to the next, you have this continuity of data that even at the district level they can see. 尽管是在暑假,他们仍然可以跟着老师学习下一章节 你拥有这个持续的数据 他们甚至可以看到整个学区的数据
continuity:n.连续性;一连串;分镜头剧本;
BG: So some of those views we saw were for the teacher to go in and track actually what's going on with those kids. 刚刚我们看到的数据是 为老师 追踪学生的数据真正掌握孩子的动态而设置的
So you're getting feedback on those teacher views to see what they think they mean? 你有没有从老师那里得到一些 老师对此的反馈呢?
SK: Oh yeah. Most of those were specs by the teachers. SK:是的,大部分的数据是从老师的角度来看的。
specs:abbr.规格,说明书(specifications);眼镜(spectacles);
We made some of those for students so they could see their data, but we have a very tight design loop with the teachers themselves. 我们也做了一些学生的,让学生可以自己看到他们的数据。 但是我们主要是围绕教师他们的数据而设计的。
loop:n.循环;回路;环路;圈;v.使成环;使绕成圈;成环形移动;
And they're literally saying, "Hey, this is nice, but ... " 他们确实说,‘这不错,但是...
Like that focus graph, a lot of the teachers said, "I have a feeling that a lot of the kids are jumping around and not focusing on one topic." 就像这个焦距图标,很多老师反映, “我觉得很多孩子喜欢跳来跳去, 而不是专注于一个课题。”
So we made that focus diagram. 所以我们就制作了焦点图。
So it's all been teacher-driven. 这些都是由老师提出来的建议,
It's been pretty crazy. 是很令人惊讶的。
BG: Is this ready for prime-time ? 现在这个东西已经可以全面推广了吗
prime-time:n.黄金时段;
Do you think a lot of classes next school year should try this thing out? 你认为会有很多学校在下个学年尝试这种新式教学方式吗?
SK: Yeah, it's ready. SK:是的,准备好了。
We got a million people on the site already, so we can handle a few more. 我们现在已经有百万的人在使用网站学习。 所以人数多点我们照样可以做好。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
(Laughter) (笑声)
No, no reason why it really can't happen in every classroom in America tomorrow. 没有理由不相信 明天这个可以在美国的每个教室使用
BG: And the vision of the tutoring thing. 关于辅导这方面,
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
The idea there is, if I'm confused about a topic, somehow right in the user interface 如果我某个地方弄不懂 如果我在界面上
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) interface:n.接口;人机界面;连接电路;v.连接;
I'd find people who are volunteering , maybe see their reputation, and I could schedule and connect up with those people? 是不是我就可以找到一些志愿者, 也许可以看见他们的信誉 然后就可以安排时间和他们讨论这些问题?
volunteering:v.自愿做;义务做;无偿做;当志愿兵(volunteer的现在分词) schedule:工作计划,日程安排
SK: Absolutely . And this is something that I recommend everyone in this audience to do. SK:情况是这样的!这正是我呼吁 广大听众要去做的:
Absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;
Those dashboards the teachers have, you can go log in right now and you can essentially become a coach for your kids, or nephews, or cousins, or maybe some kids at the Boys and Girls Club. 现在你可以登录去注册老师有的那种信息栏, 然后呢就可以成为一名 你孩子,你侄子,你表弟, 或是男孩女孩俱乐部的孩子的教练。
dashboards:n.(汽车上的)仪表盘(dashboard的复数);
And yeah, you can start becoming a mentor , a tutor, really immediately. 你立马就能开始你的顾问,辅导老师 真的是可以立即做到
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导;
But yeah, it's all there. 是的,就是这样。
BG: Well, it's amazing. 比尔盖茨:哇,是挺棒的!
I think you just got a glimpse of the future of education. 我想你让我们大家都领略了未来教育的一瞥。
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹;
Thank you. (SK: Thank you.) 谢谢你!(SK:谢谢。)
(Applause) (掌声)