|
|
SallyKohn_2013S-_让我们开始关注情感正确_
|
So when I do my job, people hate me. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
In fact, the better I do my job, the more people hate me. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
And no, I'm not a meter maid, and I'm not an undertaker . |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
undertaker:n.承担者;承办人;殡仪业者;
|
I am a progressive lesbian talking head on Fox News. (Applause) |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
progressive:adj.进步的;先进的;开明的;稳步的;n.进步人士;开明人士;改革派; lesbian:adj.[心理]女同性恋的;n.女同性恋者; talking head:n.(电视上的)发言者头部特写;
|
So y'all heard that, right? Just to make sure, right? |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I am a gay talking head on Fox News. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I am going to tell you how I do it and the most important thing I've learned. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
I am going to:我将要做什么事情
|
So I go on television. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I debate people who literally want to obliterate everything I believe in, in some cases, who don't want me and people like me to even exist. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: obliterate:vt.消灭;涂去;冲刷;忘掉;
|
It's sort of like Thanksgiving with your conservative uncle on steroids , with a live television audience of millions. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者; steroids:n.甾族化合物;类固醇;(steroid的复数)
|
It's totally almost just like that. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
And that's just on air. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
The hate mail I get is unbelievable . |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
|
Last week alone, I got 238 pieces of nasty email and more hate tweets than I can even count. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
nasty:adj.极差的:令人厌恶的:不友好的:n.令人不愉快的事物: tweets:n.啾啾声,小鸟叫声(tweet的复数形式);v.鸣叫(tweet的三单形式);
|
I was called an idiot , a traitor , a scourge , a cunt , and an ugly man, and that was just in one email. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
idiot:n.笨蛋,傻瓜;白痴; traitor:n.叛徒;卖国贼;背信弃义的人; scourge:vt.鞭打;蹂躏;严斥;痛斥;n.鞭;灾祸;鞭子;苦难的根源; cunt:n.女性阴部;性交;淫妇; ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
|
(Laughter) |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
So what have I realized, being on the receiving end of all this ugliness ? |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
ugliness:n.丑陋,丑陋之物;
|
Well, my biggest takeaway is that for decades, we've been focused on political correctness , but what matters more is emotional correctness. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
political correctness:n.政治正确性; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
|
Let me give you a small example. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I don't care if you call me a dyke . I really don't. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
dyke:n.堤;女子同性恋者;
|
I care about two things. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
One, I care that you spell it right. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
(Laughter) (Applause) |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
Just quick refresher , it's D-Y-K-E. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
refresher:n.可提神的人或物;补习课程;清凉饮料;增加报酬;adj.专业性复习进修的;
|
You'd totally be surprised. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
And second, I don't care about the word, |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I care about how you use it. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
Are you being friendly? Are you just being naive ? |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
naive:adj.天真的,幼稚的;
|
Or do you really want to hurt me personally ? |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
|
Emotional correctness is the tone , the feeling, how we say what we say, the respect and compassion we show one another. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
tone:n.语气:风格:特色:声音信号:v.使更结实:与…协调: compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
|
And what I've realized is that political persuasion doesn't begin with ideas or facts or data. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
persuasion:n.说服;说服力;信念;派别;
|
Political persuasion begins with being emotionally correct. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地;
|
So when I first went to go work at Fox News, true confession , |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认;
|
I expected there to be marks in the carpet from all the knuckle-dragging. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
carpet:n.地毯;v.用地毯铺(房间的)地板;
|
That, by the way , in case you're paying attention, is not emotionally correct. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
But liberals on my side, we can be self-righteous , we can be condescending , we can be dismissive of anyone who doesn't agree with us. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
liberals:n.自由主义者(liberal的复数); self-righteous:adj.自以为是的; condescending:adj.居高临下的; v.屈尊; (condescend的现在分词) dismissive:adj.表示轻视的;解雇的;
|
In other words, we can be politically right but emotionally wrong. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
politically:adv.政治上;
|
And incidentally , that means that people don't like us. Right? |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
incidentally:adv.顺便;偶然地;附带地;
|
Now here's the kicker . |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
kicker:n.踢者;爱发牢骚的人;喷射器;
|
Conservatives are really nice. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
Conservatives:n.保守党,保守派;
|
I mean, not all of them, and not the ones who send me hate mail, but you would be surprised. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
Sean Hannity is one of the sweetest guys |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I've ever met. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
He spends his free time trying to fix up his staff on blind dates, and I know that if I ever had a problem, he would do anything he could to help. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
Now, I think Sean Hannity is 99 percent politically wrong, but his emotional correctness is strikingly impressive , and that's why people listen to him. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
strikingly:adv.显著地;突出地,引人注目地; impressive:adj.感人的;令人钦佩的;给人以深刻印象的;
|
Because you can't get anyone to agree with you if they don't even listen to you first. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
We spend so much time talking past each other and not enough time talking through our disagreements, and if we can start to find compassion for one another, then we have a shot at building common ground . |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
common ground:n.共同点;
|
It actually sounds really hokey to say it standing up here, but when you try to put it in practice , it's really powerful. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
hokey:adj.做作的;虚情假意的; in practice:在实践中;实际上,事实上;
|
So someone who says they hate immigrants , |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数);
|
I try to imagine how scared they must be that their community is changing from what they've always known. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
Or someone who says they don't like teachers' unions, |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I bet they're really devastated to see their kid's school going into the gutter , and they're just looking for someone to blame. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; devastated:adj.不安的,混乱的,震惊的; v.彻底破坏; (devastate的过去分词和过去式) gutter:n.排水沟;槽;贫民区;vi.流;形成沟;adj.贫贱的;粗俗的;耸人听闻的;
|
Our challenge is to find the compassion for others that we want them to have for us. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
That is emotional correctness. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I'm not saying it's easy. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
An average of, like, 5.6 times per day |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
I have to stop myself from responding to all of my hate mail with a flurry of vile profanities . |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
responding:v.响应;作出反应;反应灵敏;(respond的现在分词) flurry:n.慌张;疾风;飓风;骚动;vt.使恐慌;使激动;vi.慌张;激动; vile:adj.卑鄙的;邪恶的;低廉的;肮脏的; profanities:n.亵渎;不敬的言语;
|
This whole finding compassion and common ground with your enemies thing is kind of like a political-spiritual practice for me, and I ain't the Dalai Lama . |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
Dalai Lama:n.达赖喇嘛(西藏佛教领袖,从前为西藏统治者);
|
I'm not perfect, but what I am is optimistic , because I don't just get hate mail. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的;
|
I get a lot of really nice letters, lots of them. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
And one of my all-time favorites begins, "I am not a big fan of your political leanings or your sometimes tortured logic , but I'm a big fan of you as a person." |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
all-time:adj.空前的;全部时间的;历来的; leanings:n.倾向,爱好;倾斜;v.倚靠(lean的ing形式); tortured:adj.遭受重创的; v.拷问; (torture的过去分词和过去式) logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的;
|
Now this guy doesn't agree with me, yet. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
(Laughter) |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
But he's listening, not because of what I said, but because of how I said it, and somehow , even though we've never met, we've managed to form a connection. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
|
That's emotional correctness, and that's how we start the conversations that really lead to change. |
暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! 暂时没有中文字幕! |
Thank you. |
暂时没有中文字幕! |
(Applause) |
暂时没有中文字幕! |