返回首页

SafeenaHusain_2019-_教育印度一百六十万名没就学女孩的大胆计画_-

The world today has many problems. 現今的世界有許多問題。
And they're all very complicated and interconnected and difficult. 它們非常複雜、有相互關係,
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) interconnected:adj.连通的;有联系的;v.互相连接(interconnect的过去式);
But there is something we can do. 但仍然有我們能做的。
I believe that girls' education is the closest thing we have to a silver bullet to help solve some of the world's most difficult problems. 我相信, 我們擁有最接近靈丹的 就是女子教育, 可以協助解決世界上 一些最棘手的問題。
silver:n.银; v.给…镀(或包)银; adj.银色的; bullet:n.子弹;只选某党全部候选人的投票;豆子;vi.射出;迅速行进;
But you don't have to take my word for it. 但,各位不一定要相信我的話。
The World Bank says that girls' education is one of the best investments that a country can make. 世界銀行說, 女子教育是一個國家 所能做出的最佳投資之一。
World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构); investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数)
It helps to positively impact nine of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. 女子教育能正面影響 十七個永續發展目標中的九個。
positively:adv.肯定地;明确地;断然地; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; Sustainable Development:可持续发展;
Everything from health, nutrition , employment -- all of these are positively impacted when girls are educated. 從健康、營養、就業—— 當女孩們能接受教育, 對所有這些都有正面的影響。
nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; employment:n.使用;职业;雇用; impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词);
Additionally , climate scientists have recently rated girls' education at number six out of 80 actions to reverse global warming . 此外,根據最近氣候科學家的評分, 逆轉全球暖化的八十項行動中,
Additionally:adv.另外;此外;加之; recently:adv.最近;新近; reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
At number six, it's rated higher than solar panels and electric cars. 第六名,它的名次高於 太陽能板和電動汽車。
panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式); electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的;
And that's because when girls are educated, they have smaller families, and the resulting reduction in population reduces carbon emissions significantly . 原因是,若女孩能接受教育, 她們的家庭會比較小, 造成人口下降, 顯著減少碳排放。
reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地;
But more than that, you know, it's a problem we have to solve once. 但,不僅如此, 它是我們 遲早得解決的問題。
Because an educated mother is more than twice as likely to educate her children. 因為受過教育的母親, 去教育她孩子的可能性是兩倍以上。
Which means that by doing it once, we can close the gender and literacy gap forever. 這意味著只要做到女子教育, 就能夠永遠縮短 姓別和識字的差距。
gender:n.性别; literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
I work in India, which has made incredible progress in bringing elementary education for all. 我在印度工作, 印度已經有很大的進展, 將教育普及到所有人。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; elementary education:n.初等教育,基本教育(指小学);
However, we still have four million out-of-school girls, one of the highest in the world. 然而,我們仍然有 四百萬名沒有就學的女孩, 在世界名列前茅。
And girls are out of school because of, obviously poverty , social, cultural factors . 很顯然,這些女孩沒有 上學的原因是貧困、 社會、文化因素。
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
But there's also this underlying factor of mindset . 但背後還有一個心態的因素。
underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词) mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
I have met a girl whose name was Naraaz Nath. 我認識一個女孩, 叫做娜拉茲 納斯。
Naaraaz means angry. 娜拉茲的意思是憤怒。
And when I asked her, "Why is your name 'angry'?" 我問她:「為什麼 妳被取名為『憤怒』」?
she said, "Because everybody was so angry when a girl was born." 她說:「因為當生出的孩子 是女孩時,大家都很憤怒。」
Another girl called Antim Bala, which means the last girl. 另一位女孩,叫做安婷 巴拉, 意思是最後一個女孩。
Because everybody hoped that would be the last girl to be born. 因為大家都希望之後 不要再生女孩了。
A girl called Aachuki. 有一位女孩叫艾茱奇,
It means somebody who has arrived. 意思是到來的人。
Not wanted, but arrived. 不是想要的,但就是到來了。
And it is this mindset that keeps girls from school or completing their education. 就是這種心態 讓女孩無法就學或無法完成學業。
It's this belief that a goat is an asset and a girl is a liability . 他們相信羊是資產,女孩是債務。
asset:n.资产;优点;有用的东西;有利条件;财产;有价值的人或物; liability:n.责任;债务;倾向;可能性;不利因素;
My organization Educate Girls works to change this. 我的組織「教育女子」 致力於改變這一點。
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
And we work in some of the most difficult, rural , remote and tribal villages. 我們在一些最難處理、鄉下、 偏遠的部落村莊中努力。
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的; tribal:adj.部落的;部族的;n.(尤指南亚的)部落成员;
And how do we do it? 我們怎麼做?
We first and foremost find young, passionate , educated youth from the same villages. 我們最首要的第一步, 是在該村落中找到年輕、 有熱情、受過教育的年輕人。
first and foremost:首先;首要的是; passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
Both men and women. 男女皆可。
And we call them Team Balika , balika just means the girl child, so this is a team that we are creating for the girl child. 我們稱他們為 Balika(小女孩)團隊, 這是我們為了小女孩建立的團隊。
Balika:鲍利考;
And so once we recruit our community volunteers , we train them, we mentor them, we hand-hold them. 在我們招募到了社區志工之後, 我們會訓練、指導、一步步帶領他們。
recruit:n.新兵; v.吸收(新成员); (通过招募)组成; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导; hand-hold:手持;扶手;
That's when our work starts. 我們的工作就此開始。
And the first piece we do is about identifying every single girl who's not going to school. 我們做的第一件事, 是找出每一個沒有上學的女孩。
identifying:n.识别,标识;标识关系;v.识别;(identify的现在分词)
But the way we do it is a little different and high-tech , at least in my view. 但我們的做法有點不同, 且用到高科技, 至少我是這麼認為。
high-tech:adj.高科技的,高技术的;仿真技术的;n.高科技;
Each of our frontline staff have a smartphone . 我們的每個前線人員 都有一支智慧手機。
frontline:n.前线;锋线(包括大前锋,小前锋,中锋); smartphone:n.智能手机;
It has its own Educate Girls app. 上面裝有「教育女子」應用程式。
And this app has everything that our team needs. 我們的團隊所需要的一切 都在那應用程式上。
It has digital maps of where they're going to be conducting the survey , it has the survey in it, all the questions, little guides on how best to conduct the survey , so that the data that comes to us is in real time and is of good quality. 它有數位地圖,引導他們 前往要進行調查的地方, 它也有調查功能,內含所有題目, 還有教導理想調查方式的小指引, 這麼一來,我們收到的資料 就會是即時的高品質資料。
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; conducting:v.组织;安排;实施;指挥;引导;导游(conduct的现在分词) survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
So armed with this, our teams and our volunteers go door-to-door to every single household to find every single girl who may either we never enrolled or dropped out of school. 有了這項武器, 我們的團隊和志工 挨家挨戶去拜訪, 進到每個家庭,找到每一個 沒有入學或休學的女孩。
door-to-door:v.送货上门地; adj.送货上门的; household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式)
And because we have this data and technology piece, very quickly we can figure out who the girls are and where they are. 因為我們有資料也有科技, 我們很快就能知道 這些女孩的身分和所在。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Because each of our villages are geotagged , and we can actually build that information out very, very quickly. 因為我們的所有村落 都有地理標籤, 我們可以非常快速取得那些資訊。
geotagged:地理标签;地理位置;地理标记的照片;
And so once we know where the girls are, we actually start the process of bringing them back into school. 一旦我們知道那些女孩在哪裡, 我們就能啟動將她們 帶回學校的流程。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
And that actually is just our community mobilization process, it starts with village meetings, neighborhood meetings, and as you see, individual counseling of parents and families, to be able to bring the girls back into school. 那其實只是我們的社區動員流程, 從村落會議和鄰里會議開始, 還有,各位可以看到的, 針對父母和家庭做個別諮詢, 目的是將女孩帶回學校。
mobilization:n.动员;调动; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; counseling:n.咨询服务;v.建议;劝告;商讨;(counsel的现在分词形式)
And this can take anything from a few weeks to a few months. 要花的時間從幾週 到幾個月都有可能。
And once we bring the girls into the school system, we also work with the schools to make sure that schools have all the basic infrastructure so that the girls will be able to stay. 一旦我們把女孩帶回到學校 體制中,我們也會和學校合作, 確保學校有必要的基礎設施, 讓女孩能夠留在學校中。
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
And this would include a separate toilet for girls, drinking water , things that will help them to be retained . 上述的基礎設施包括 單獨給女孩使用的廁所、 飲用水、 能協助留住她們的東西。
drinking water:n.饮用水; retained:v.保持;持有;保留;聘请(律师等);(retain的过去分词和过去式)
But all of this would be useless if our children weren't learning. 但,如果孩子們不肯學習, 這一切都沒有用了。
So we actually run a learning program. 所以我們也執行一個學習方案。
And this is a supplementary learning program, and it's very, very important, because most of our children are first-generation learners. 這是一個輔助學習方案, 且非常非常重要, 因為我們的孩子大部分 都是第一代學習者。
supplementary:adj.补充的;追加的;n.补充者;增补物; first-generation:adj.出生在美国的;原件第一代;
That means there's nobody at home to help them with homework, there's nobody who can support their education. 意即,在他們家中沒人 能協助他們做功課, 沒有人能支援她們的教育。
Their parents can't read and write. 她們的父母不會讀寫。
So it's really, really key that we do the support of the learning in the classrooms. 所以,非常重要的是, 我們要在教室中提供學習的支援。
So this is essentially our model, in terms of finding, bringing the girls in, making sure that they're staying and learning. 基本上,這就是我們的模型, 找到女孩,帶她們過來, 確保她們會留下並學習。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
And we know that our model works. 我們知道我們的模型行得通。
And we know this because a most recent randomized control evaluation confirms its efficacy . 我們之所以知道, 是因為最近有一項隨機控制的評估, 確認了它的效益。
randomized:adj.[数]随机化的,随机的;v.使随机化;做任意排列(randomize的过去分词); evaluation:n.评价;[审计]评估;估价;求值; efficacy:n.功效,效力;
Our evaluator found that over a three-year period 我們的評估人員發現, 經過三年期之後,
evaluator:n.评估员;[电子]鉴别器;求值程序;
Educate Girls was able to bring back 92 percent of all out-of-school girls back into school. 「教育女子」能協助 92% 未入學的女孩中回到學校。
(Applause) (掌聲)
And in terms of learning, our children's learning went up significantly as compared to control schools. 在學習方面, 和控制組學校相比, 我們的孩子在學習上大有進步。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
So much so, that it was like an additional year of schooling for the average student. 進步程度到了就像是一般學生 多了額外一年的學校教育一樣。
And that's enormous , when you think about a tribal child who's entering the school system for the first time. 這是很大的事,想想看, 一個部落孩子第一次 進入學校體制。
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
So here we have a model that works; we know it's scalable , because we are already functioning at 13,000 villages. 所以,我們有一個行得通的模型; 我們知道它還可以擴大, 因為我們已經在 一萬三千個村落實施。
scalable:adj.可攀登的;可去鳞的;可称量的;
We know it's smart, because of the use of data and technology. 這是個聰明的模型, 因為有用到資料和科技。
We know that it's sustainable and systemic , because we work in partnership with the community, it's actually led by the community. 我們知道它是永續的、有系統的, 因為我們和社區合作, 其實是由社區來主導。
systemic:adj.系统的;全身的;体系的; work in partnership with:与…合作;
And we work in partnership with the government, so there's no creation of a parallel delivery system. 我們也和政府合作, 所以不會有類似的教育實行系統。
creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物; parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送;
And so because we have this innovative partnership with the community, the government, this smart model, we have this big, audacious dream today. 因為我們和社區、政府 建立了創新的合作關係 現今我們才會有這個無畏的大夢。
innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; audacious:adj.无畏的;鲁莽的;
And that is to solve a full 40 percent of the problem of out-of-school girls in India in the next five years. 這個大夢就是要在接下來五年, 將印度女孩未就學的 問題解決掉四成。
(Applause) (掌聲)
And you're thinking, that's a little ... 你們可能在想,那有點……
You know, how am I even thinking about doing that, because India is not a small place, it's a huge country. 我怎麼會想要去做這件事, 因為印度不是個小地方, 它是個很大的國家。
It's a country of over a billion people. 它是個人口超過十億的國家。
We have 650,000 villages. 我們有六十五萬個村落。
How is it that I'm standing here, saying that one small organization is going to solve a full 40 percent of the problem? 我怎麼會站在這裡宣稱 一個小組織將會解決四成的問題?
And that's because we have a key insight . 那是因為我們有一項關鍵的洞見。
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉;
And that is, because of our entire approach , with data and with technology, that five percent of villages in India have 40 percent of the out-of-school girls. 那就是, 因為我們的整個方法中 用了很多資料和科技, 我們發現,印度 有四成未就學的女孩, 集中在 5% 的村落中。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
And this is a big, big piece of the puzzle . 這是拼圖中很重要的一塊。
puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑;
Which means, I don't have to work across the entire country. 也就是說,我不用跑遍全國。
I have to work in those five percent of the villages, about 35,000 villages, to actually be able to solve a large piece of the problem. 我只要把精力投在那 5% 的村落裡, 約三萬五千個村落, 就能真的把問題解決掉一大半。
And that's really key, because these villages not only have high burden of out-of-school girls, but also a lot of related indicators , right, like malnutrition , stunting , poverty, infant mortality , child marriage. 那就是關鍵, 因為這些村落 不僅有女孩沒就學的沉重負擔, 很多其他相關的指標也過高, 比如營養失調、發育遲緩、 童婚。
burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于; indicators:n.指示信号;标志;指针;方向灯;(indicator的复数) malnutrition:n.营养失调,营养不良; stunting:n.萎缩;发育障碍短小症;v.阻碍…的正常发育(stunt的ing形式); infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
So by working and focusing here, you can actually create a large multiplier effect across all of these indicators. 所以,把焦點放在這裡並投入心力, 就可以真的在所有這些指標上 得到很大的乘數效應。
multiplier:n.乘数;倍数;
And it would mean that we would be able to bring back 1.6 million girls back into school. 意思就是, 我們將能把一百六十萬名 女孩帶回學校。
(Applause) (掌聲)
I have to say, I have been doing this for over a decade, and I have never met a girl who said to me, you know, "I want to stay at home," 我必須要說,我已經 在此投入了超過十年, 至今仍然沒有遇過 有任何一位女孩會對我說: 「我想要待在家裡。」
'"I want to graze the cattle," 「我想要牧牛。」
graze:vt.放牧;擦伤;vi.吃草;擦伤;n.放牧;轻擦;
'"I want to look after the siblings ," 「我想要照顧兄弟姐妹。」
siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
'"I want to be a child bride ." 「我想要當童養媳。」
bride:n.新娘;
Every single girl I meet wants to go to school. 我遇到的每一位女孩 都想要去上學。
And that's what we really want to do. 那就是我們真正想做的事。
We want to be able to fulfill those 1.6 million dreams. 我們想要實現 那一百六十萬個夢想。
fulfill:v.执行,贯彻;完成,实现;兑现;达到;起到;
And it doesn't take much. 成本並不高。
To find and enroll a girl with our model is about 20 dollars. 用我們的模型找到一名女孩 並讓她登記入學,要花大約 $20。
To make sure that she is learning and providing a learning program, it's another 40 dollars. 確保她有在學習, 並提供一個學習方案, 要再花 $40。
But today is the time to do it. 但現在就是行動的時候了。
Because she is truly the biggest asset we have. 因為她是我們最大的資產。
I am Safeena Husain, and I educate girls. 我是莎菲娜胡珊,我教育女孩。
Thank you. 謝謝。
(Applause) (掌聲)