返回首页

RogerEbert_2011-_重塑我声_

Roger Ebert: These are my words, but this is not my voice. 这些是我在说话,但却不是我的声音
Roger:n.罗杰;[男名]男子名;int.明白;v.与某人性交;
This is Alex, the best computer voice 这是艾力克斯,它是目前
I've been able to find, which comes as standard equipment on every Macintosh . 我能找到的最好的电脑声音 每一台苹果电脑中都有这个功能
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; Macintosh:n.苹果公司生产的一种型号的计算机;
For most of my life, 在我一生大部分时间中
I never gave a second thought to my ability to speak. 我从来没担心过我说话的能力
It was like breathing. 就好象呼吸一样
In those days, I was living in a fool's paradise. 以前那些日子,我就像生活在一个虚幻的乐境之中
After surgeries for cancer took away my ability to speak, eat or drink, 当癌症手术 让我丧失了语言,进食的能力之后,
surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数); cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
I was forced to enter this virtual world in which a computer does some of my living for me. 我不得不被迫进入这个虚拟的世界 电脑成了我生活的一部分
virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认);
For several days now, we have enjoyed brilliant and articulate speakers here at TED. 经过一段时间之后 我们可以在TED上享用这个出色的,发音清晰的发声器了
articulate:vt.清晰地发(音); vi.发音; adj.发音清晰的;
I used to be able to talk like that. 我以前也可以像这样说话
Maybe I wasn't as smart, but I was at least as talkative . 也许我以前没它那么聪明, 但至少我还是很健谈的。
talkative:adj.饶舌的;多话的;多嘴的;爱说话的;
I want to devote my talk today to the act of speaking itself, and how the act of speaking or not speaking is tied so indelibly to one's identity as to force the birth of a new person when it is taken away. 今天的演讲我想专注在 说话这个行为本身 以及说话或者不说话的这个行为 是如何与人们的个性持久联系在一起的 当这些能力被夺走 需要重新塑造一个新人的时候
devote:v.贡献;把…专用于;听任; indelibly:adv.不能消灭地; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
However, I've found that listening to a computer voice for any great length of time can be monotonous . 然而,我也发现持续听电脑的声音 很长一段时间的话 会变得很无聊
monotonous:adj.单调的,无抑扬顿挫的;无变化的;
So I've decided to recruit some of my TED friends to read my words aloud for me. 所以,我决定找来一些我在TED的朋友 来帮我读出我想要说的话
recruit:n.新兵; v.吸收(新成员); (通过招募)组成;
I will start with my wife, Chaz. 我想从我的夫人查兹开始
Chaz Ebert: It was Chaz who stood by my side through three attempts to reconstruct my jaw and restore my ability to speak. 查兹·埃伯特: 那时查兹陪着我 经历了三次修复下颚的尝试 以及恢复讲话能力的过程
attempts:n.企图,试图;尝试(attempt的复数);v.试图;努力去做(attempt的三单形式); reconstruct:vt.重建;改造;修复;重现; restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原;
Going into the first surgery for a recurrence of salivary cancer in 2006, 第一次手术 是因为涎腺癌复发 那是2006年,
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; recurrence:n.再发生;循环;重现;重新提起; salivary:adj.唾液的;分泌唾液的;
I expected to be out of the hospital in time to return to my movie review show, 'Ebert and Roeper at the Movies.' 我希望可以及时出院 从而回到我所主持的电影评论节目 *Ebert and Roper at the Movies.*中
I had pre-taped enough shows to get me through six weeks of surgery and recuperation . 我已经提前录好了足够的节目 来让我度过这6周的手术期 以及恢复期。
recuperation:n.恢复;复原;
The doctors took a fibula bone from my leg and some tissue from my shoulder to fashion into a new jaw. 医生从我的腿上取出一块腓骨 并且从我的肩部取出一部分细胞组织 来塑造一个新的下颚
fibula:n.[解剖]腓骨;扣针,搭扣; tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;
My tongue, larynx and vocal cords were still healthy and unaffected . 我的舌头,喉以及声带 依然良好并没有受到影响”
larynx:n.[解剖]喉;喉头; vocal cords:n.声带; unaffected:adj.不受影响的;自然的;真挚的;不矫揉造作的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Laughter) (笑声)
CE: I was optimistic , and all was right with the world. 我那时很乐观 一切都向好的方面发展
optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的;
The first surgery was a great success. 第一次手术很成功
I saw myself in the mirror and I looked pretty good. 我看着镜子中的自己 看起来非常好
Two weeks later, I was ready to return home. 两个星期过去了,我准备要回家了
I was using my iPod to play the Leonard Cohen song 'I'm Your Man' for my doctors and nurses. 出院之前,我用我的iPod 放了一首莱昂纳德·科恩的歌 *I*m Your Man* 献给我的医生和护士们
Suddenly, I had an episode of catastrophic bleeding . 就在那时,不幸的事情发生了
episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集; catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的; bleeding:n.出血;渗色;adj.流血的;同情的;v.出血;渗出;(bleed的现在分词)
My carotid artery had ruptured . 我的颈动脉破裂了
carotid artery:n.颈动脉; ruptured:adj.破裂的;v.rupture(rupture的过去分词);
Thank God I was still in my hospital room and my doctors were right there. 感谢上帝,我当时还在医院的病房里 并且医生们就在我身边
Chaz told me that if that song hadn't played for so long, 查兹告诉我 如果那首歌再短一些的话
I might have already been in the car, on the way home, and would have died right there and then. 我也许已经上车,在回家的路上了 可能就会有生命危险
So thank you, Leonard Cohen, for saving my life. 所以,多谢了,莱昂纳德·科恩 多谢救了我一命”
(Applause) (掌声)
There was a second surgery -- which held up for five or six days and then it also fell apart. “第二次手术 -- 大约坚持了5到6天 然后颈动脉又再次破裂了
And then a third attempt, which also patched me back together pretty well, until it failed. 之后就是第三次尝试 这次手术仍然十分成功 直到再次破裂
patched:v.打补丁;缝补;修补;(patch的过去分词和过去式)
A doctor from Brazil said he had never seen anyone survive a carotid artery rupture. 一位来自巴西的医生说 他从来没见过有哪个人 在颈动脉破裂的情况下还能活下来
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
And before I left the hospital, after a year of being hospitalized , 在我出院之前 我住了一年的院
hospitalized:vt.住院;入院就医;(hospitalize的过去分词);
I had seven ruptures of my carotid artery. 这期间我经历了7次 颈动脉破裂
ruptures:n.破裂;决裂;疝气;vi.破裂;发疝气;vt.使破裂;断绝;发生疝;
There was no particular day when anyone told me 没有人在某一天 来告诉我
I would never speak again; it just sort of became obvious . 我将不能再说话了 因为那根本就是很明显的事情
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
Human speech is an ingenious manipulation of our breath within the sound chamber of our mouth and respiratory system. 人类的语言功能 是我们对于气息的一种巧妙控制 这种功能发生在类似声学实验室的口腔 和呼吸系统中
ingenious:adj.有独创性的;机灵的,精制的;心灵手巧的; manipulation:n.操作;管理措施;处理;操纵证券市场;变换; chamber:n.(身体或器官内的)室,膛; adj.室内的; vt.把…关在室内; respiratory:adj.呼吸的;
We need to be able to hold and manipulate that breath in order to form sounds. 我们需要有控制和掌握气息的能力 从而形成声音
manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改;
Therefore, the system must be essentially airtight in order to capture air. 因此,这个系统 理论上说必须是密闭的 从而才能获取空气
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; airtight:adj.密闭的,密封的;无懈可击的; capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
Because I had lost my jaw, 因为我已经失去了下颚
I could no longer form a seal, and therefore my tongue and all of my other vocal equipment was rendered powerless. 所以我已经无法达到密封的要求 因此我的舌头 和所有其他的发声器官 就相应的失去了作用
rendered:v.使成为;给予;提供;回报;递交;(render的过去分词和过去式)
Dean Ornish: At first for a long time, 迪恩·奥尼什: 起初的很长一段时间
Dean:n.院长;系主任;教务长;主持牧师;
I wrote messages in notebooks. 我在本上写出我的想法
Then I tried typing words on my laptop and using its built in voice. 然后我尝试着在电脑上打出我想要说的话 然后利用电脑自带的发生器发生
laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;
This was faster, and nobody had to try to read my handwriting. 这个方法更加快捷 对方也用必须读出我所写的东西
I tried out various computer voices that were available online, and for several months I had a British accent , which Chaz called Sir Lawrence." 我在网上尝试了很多种现有的电脑声音 几个月后,我有了一个英国口音 查兹称他为劳伦斯爵士
accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"It was the clearest I could find. ”那是我当时能找到的最清晰的声音
Then Apple released the Alex voice, which was the best I'd heard. 然后苹果公司发布了 Alex vioce 它是我听过的最棒的
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
It knew things like the difference between an exclamation point and a question mark . 它懂得很多,比如 惊叹号和问号之间的区别
exclamation:n.感叹;惊叫;惊叹词; question mark:abbr.(=questionstop)疑问号;n.问号;
When it saw a period, it knew how to make a sentence sound like it was ending instead of staying up in the air. 当它看见以句号结尾的时候,它会懂得如何创造出一个 听起来像结束口吻的句子而不是那种似乎悬而未决的语气
There are all sorts of html codes you can use to control the timing and inflection of computer voices, and I've experimented with them. 它有各种各样的HTML代码供你使用 来控制电脑声音的时间以及调整语调 我已经试验过了
inflection:n.弯曲,变形;音调变化;
For me, they share a fundamental problem: they're too slow. 对于我来说,有一个基本的问题:它们太慢了
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
When I find myself in a conversational situation, 当我处在一种很健谈情况下的时候
conversational:adj.对话的;健谈的;
I need to type fast and to jump right in. 我必须快速的打字,来准确度的表达自己
People don't have the time or the patience to wait for me to fool around with the codes for every word or phrase. 可是大家不会有时间和耐心来 等着我鼓弄那些代码 为了每一个单词或每一个短语
patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍; fool around with:与不三不四的人鬼混;乱搞男女关系;玩弄
But what value do we place on the sound of our own voice? 但是什么东西被附加到了我们自己的声音中呢?
How does that affect who you are as a person? 那些附加的东西是如何把你塑造成你自己而不是一个机器的?
When people hear Alex speaking my words, do they experience a disconnect ? 当人们听到Alex说着我想说的话的时候 大家会不会觉得有种分离的感觉?
disconnect:vt.拆开,使分离;vi.断开;
Does that create a separation or a distance from one person to the next? 这种方式是不是在人和人的交流之间 造成了一种分离感或者距离感?
separation:n.分离;分开;分割;隔离;
How did I feel not being able to speak? 当我不能说话的时候是一种什么感觉?
I felt, and I still feel, a lot of distance from the human mainstream . 我感受过,并且现在依然可以感觉的到 那种与人类主流之间遥远的距离感
mainstream:n.主流;
I've become uncomfortable when I'm separated from my laptop. 当我离开我的电脑的时候,我会觉得非常不自在
Even then, I'm aware that most people have little patience for my speaking difficulties. 尽管那样,我还是感觉到大多数的人 对我的语言障碍缺少耐心
So Chaz suggested finding a company that could make a customized voice using my TV show voice from a period of 30 years. 因此查兹建议去找个公司 以我30年来所主持的节目为素材 为我创造一个个性化的声音
customized:v.订制,订做,改制;(customize的过去分词和过去式)
At first I was against it. 一开始我对此持反对意见
I thought it would be creepy to hear my own voice coming from a computer. 因为我觉得如果我听见电脑发出我自己的声音 这会让我感到毛骨悚然
creepy:adj.令人毛骨悚然的;爬行的;
There was something comforting about a voice that was not my own. 如果声音不是我自己的就会觉得还好
But I decided then to just give it a try. 但是后来我还是决定试一试
So we contacted a company in Scotland that created personalized computer voices. 于是我就联系了一家苏格兰的公司 他们发明了很多个性化的电脑声音
contacted:v.联系,联络(如用电话或信件)(contact的过去分词和过去式) personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式)
They'd never made one from previously-recorded materials. 他们制造一个新的声音从来不是根据之前的所拥有的素材
All of their voices had been made by a speaker recording original words in a control booth. 所有他们创造的声音都对应出自一个真实的声音 通过控制台收录原始的词语
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
But they were willing to give it a try. 但是他们愿意试试看
So I sent them many hours of recordings of my voice, including several audio commentary tracks that I'd made for movies on DVDs. 于是我发给了他们很多收录了我声音的资料 其中包括了一些 我为很多电影DVD做的评论音轨
audio:adj.声音的;录音的; commentary:n.评论;注释;评注;说明; tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数)
And it sounded like me, it really did. 那些听起来很像我,真的确实很像
There was a reason for that; it was me. 那是有原因的; 因为那就是以前的我
But it wasn't that simple. 但是事情并没那么简单
The tapes from my TV show weren't very useful because there were too many other kinds of audio involved -- movie soundtracks , for example, or Gene Siskel arguing with me -- 那些录自我电视节目的带子并不是特别有用 因为其中掺杂了太多的别的杂音 例如电影音轨,或者是吉恩·西斯科尔和我争论的声音“
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) soundtracks:n.电影原声;音轨(soundtrack的复数); Gene:n.基因;遗传基因;遗传因子;
(Laughter) (笑声)
and my words often had a particular emphasis that didn't fit into a sentence well enough. 并且我的话经常会出现一些特有的强调语气 这些不能够特别好的融入到一句话中
emphasis:n.强调;重视;重要性;(对某个词或短语的)强调;
I'll let you hear a sample of that voice. 我来举个例子说明那种语气
These are a few of the comments I recorded for use when Chaz and I appeared on the Oprah Winfrey program. 这些是我和查兹之前去参加 奥普拉·维弗瑞的节目时所录制的一些评论
Oprah:n.奥普拉(美国电视节目主持人);
And here's the voice we call Roger Jr. 这就是被我称为小罗杰
or Roger 2.0. 或罗杰2.0的声音”
Roger 2.0: Oprah, I can't tell you how great it is to be back on your show. 罗杰2.0:奥普拉,能回来参加你的节目 简直是太棒了
We have been talking for a long time, and now here we are again. 我们以前聊过很长时间 现在我们又回来了
This is the first version of my computer voice. 这是第一个版本的电脑声音
It still needs improvement , but at least it sounds like me and not like HAL 9000. 它仍需改进 但至少它听起来像我 而不是像HAL 9000
improvement:n.改进,改善;
When I heard it the first time, it sent chills down my spine . 当我第一次听见的时候 吓了我一跳
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
When I type anything, this voice will speak whatever I type. 我输入什么 它就说出相应的话
When I read something, it will read in my voice. 我读什么 他也能用我的声音读什么
I have typed these words in advance , as I didn't think it would be thrilling to sit here watching me typing. 我已经事先输入了这些字 因为我觉得看着我在这里打字 不是什么让人兴奋的事情
in advance:adv.预先,提前; thrilling:adj.惊心动魄的; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的现在分词)
The voice was created by a company in Scotland named CereProc. 这个声音是一个苏格兰的公司开发的 名字叫CereProc
It makes me feel good that many of the words you are hearing were first spoken while I was commenting on " Casablanca " 它让我觉得很不错 你现在听见这些词很多都是第一次说 是我以前在评论 *卡萨布兰卡*
Casablanca:n.卡萨布兰卡市(摩洛哥西北部港市);
and "Citizen Kane." 和 *公民凯恩* 这两部电影的时候所说的
This is the first voice they've created for an individual . 这是他们第一次为个人专门开发声音
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
There are several very good voices available for computers, but they all sound like somebody else, while this voice sounds like me. 有一些非常棒的声音都适用于电脑 但是它们听起来都不像我 除了这个声音
I plan to use it on television, radio and the Internet. 我打算把这个声音用在电视,广播 和网络上
People who need a voice should know that most computers already come with built-in speaking systems. 需要发声装置的人应该知道 大多数的电脑都已经内置了发声系统
built-in:adj.嵌入的;固定的;n.内置;
Many blind people use them to read pages on the Web to themselves. 许多盲人用它们 在网络上帮助他们阅读网页的内容
But I've got to say, in first grade, they said I talked too much, and now I still can. 当时我必须要说 一开始的时候 他们说我说的太多了 但是现在我依然说的不少
(Laughter) (笑声)
Roger Ebert: As you can hear, it sounds like me, but the words jump up and down. 罗杰·埃伯特: 就像你们听到的,它听起来很像我 但是语速时快时慢
The flow isn't natural. 语速还不是那么自然
The good people in Scotland are still improving my voice, and I'm optimistic about it. 苏格兰的朋友们正在帮我改进 我对此很乐观
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
But so far, the Apple Alex voice is the best one I've heard. 当时目前为止,苹果公司的Alex的声音 是我听过的最好的
I wrote a blog about it and actually got a comment from the actor who played Alex. 我为此写了一篇博客 事实上是从Alex的声音原型者那里得到了一些信息
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志;
He said he recorded many long hours in various intonations to be used in the voice. 他说他花了很长时间在录制各种语调上面 从而可以被用在这个声音上
intonations:n.声调,语调;语音的抑扬;
A very large sample is needed. 大量的样本是必须的
John Hunter: All my life I was a motormouth . 约翰·亨特:“在我人生的大部分时间中,我都是个很健谈的人
motormouth:说话快并且健谈;
Now I have spoken my last words, and I don't even remember for sure what they were. 可是现在我已经不能再说话 我甚至不能准确的记得我人生讲过的最后几句话 都说了些什么
I feel like the hero of that Harlan Ellison story titled "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." 我感觉就像哈兰·埃里森故事中的主人公 ‘我没有嘴,却又渴望呐喊’
On Wednesday, David Christian explained to us what a tiny instant the human race represents in the time-span of the universe. 周三的时候,大卫·克里斯蒂安向我们解释了 人类历史的在整个宇宙的历史长河中 是多么的渺小
instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas"; human race:n.人类; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
For almost all of its millions and billions of years, there was no life on Earth at all. 在宇宙数百万,数十亿年历史的大部分时间中 地球上根本就没有生命
For almost all the years of life on Earth, there was no intelligent life. 在地球上有生命出现的历史上 大部分是时间是不存在高等生物的
intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
Only after we learned to pass knowledge from one generation to the next, did civilization become possible. 只是当我们学会一代代去 传承文化之后 人类文明的形成才变得可能
civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
In cosmological terms, that was about 10 minutes ago. 用宇宙学的说法 那是大约10分钟之前
cosmological:adj.宇宙论的;宇宙哲学的;
Finally came mankind's most advanced and mysterious tool, the computer. 最终人类最先进最神秘的工具到来了 它就是电脑
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) mysterious:adj.神秘的;不可思议的;难解的;
That has mostly happened in my lifetime. 这些大部分都在我的一生中发生过
Some of the famous early computers were being built in my hometown of Urbana, the birthplace of HAL 9000. 一些早期很有名的电脑 在我的家乡,也就是HAL 9000的诞生地厄巴纳 被开发出来
birthplace:n.出生地;发源地;
When I heard the amazing talk by Salman Khan on Wednesday, about the Khan Academy website that teaches hundreds of subjects to students all over the world, 当我周三听到萨尔曼·汗做的 这个不可思议的演讲时 其中提到关于 Khan 学术网站 这个网站为全球的学生提供了很多科目的课程的时候
Khan:n.可汗(对最高统治者的尊称);商队客店; Academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校;
I had a flashback . 我想到了一些往事
flashback:n.倒叙;闪回;迷幻药效幻觉重现;
It was about 1960. 那是在1960年的时候
As a local newspaper reporter still in high school, 那时的我还是一名高中生,兼职一个当地报社的记者
I was sent over to the computer lab of the University of Illinois to interview the creators of something called PLATO . 我被派去到伊利诺伊大学计算机实验室 去采访 名为PLATO电脑的发明者
Illinois:n.伊利诺斯州(美国州名); interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈; PLATO:n.柏拉图(古希腊哲学家);
The initials stood for Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations. PLATO是自动指导操作程序设计逻辑 的简称
initials:n.首字母;缩写;姓名中的大写字母(initial的复数); Automated:adj.自动化的;v.(使)自动化;(automate的过去式和过去分词)
This was a computer-assisted instruction system, which in those days ran on a computer named ILLIAC. 这是一个计算机辅助教学系统 用在当时名为ILLIAC的计算机上
The programmers said it could assist students in their learning. 程序员说,这个系统可以帮助学生学习
I doubt, on that day 50 years ago, they even dreamed of what Salman Khan has accomplished . 我怀疑 50年前的那个时候 他们甚至已经梦想过现在萨尔曼·汗已经完成的工作
accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
But that's not the point. 但那不是重点
The point is PLATO was only 50 years ago, an instant in time. 重点是PLATO仅仅是50年前的事情 是很短的一段时间
It continued to evolve and operated in one form or another on more and more sophisticated computers, until only five years ago. 他以各种形式不断改进,运转着 在越来越多的高端电脑上 直到5年之前才停止
evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成; sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
I have learned from Wikipedia that, starting with that humble beginning, 我从维基百科了解到 开始的时候很简陋
Wikipedia:维基百科; humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭;
PLATO established forums , message boards, online testing, email, chat rooms, picture languages, instant messaging , remote screen sharing and multiple-player games. PLATO开发了论坛,留言板 在线测试 电邮,聊天室 图像语言,即时通信 远距离屏幕共享 和多人游戏
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) forums:n.论坛; (forum的复数) instant messaging:n.[IT]即时通讯; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
Since the first Web browser was also developed in Urbana, it appears that my hometown in downstate Illinois was the birthplace of much of the virtual, online universe we occupy today. 第一个网络浏览器同样在Urbana研发 它出现在 我伊利诺伊的家乡 那里是 我们现在用很多虚拟网络的发源地
browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人; downstate:n.(美)在州里的南部;adv.在州的南部;adj.在州的南部的; occupy:v.占据,占领;居住;使忙碌;
But I'm not here from the Chamber of Commerce . 当然我可不是他们商会派来这里的
Chamber of Commerce:n.商会;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I'm here as a man who wants to communicate. 我作为一个渴望交流沟通的人来到这里
All of this has happened in my lifetime. 所有的这一切变革我都经历过
I started writing on a computer back in the 1970s when one of the first Atech systems was installed at the Chicago Sun-Times. 我开始用电脑写作要追溯的1970年 当第一个Atech系统安装在 芝加哥太阳时报的时候
installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式)
I was in line at Radio Shack to buy one of the first Model 100's. 我正在Radio Shack 买最早的100*s型号
Shack:n.棚屋;小室;vi.居住;
And when I told the people in the press room at the Academy Awards that they'd better install some phone lines for Internet connections, they didn't know what I was talking about. 当我告诉在奥斯卡的记者室告诉其他人 他们最好用电话线去安装一个互联网的时候 他们根本不知道我在说什么
When I bought my first desktop , it was a DEC Rainbow . 那时我买了自己的第一个台式电脑 那是DEC公司的Rainbow
desktop:n.桌面;桌面(显示使用程序图标的计算机屏幕); Rainbow:n.彩虹
Does anybody remember that?" 还有谁记得吗?
(Applause) (掌声)
'"The Sun Times sent me to the Cannes Film Festival with a portable computer the size of a suitcase named the Porteram Telebubble. ”太阳时报派我去报道嘎纳电影节 我带着一个手提箱大小的便携式电脑 它叫做 Porteram Telebubble
Cannes:n.戛纳(法国港市); portable:adj.便携式的;手提的;轻便的;n.便携机;(尤指)手提电脑; suitcase:n.[轻]手提箱;衣箱;
I joined CompuServe when it had fewer numbers than I currently have followers on Twitter. 我加入了Compuserve 公司 那时它的会员人数 还不如我现在Twitter上的粉丝多“
currently:adv.当前;一般地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
CE: All of this has happened in the blink of an eye . CE: 所发生的这一切 都是在转眼之间
in the blink of an eye:熄灭;在一瞬间;眨眼之间;眨眼间;一眨眼间;
It is unimaginable what will happen next. 真是很难想象 以后还会发生什么
unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的;
It makes me incredibly fortunate to live at this moment in history. 能生活在历史长河中的现在这个时代 让我觉得十分幸运
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
Indeed, I am lucky to live in history at all, because without intelligence and memory there is no history. 的确,能生活在这样的历史之中真的非常幸运 因为如果没有智慧和传承 就没有历史
For billions of years, the universe evolved completely without notice. 在数十亿年的时间里 宇宙在不知不觉中 不断进化演变
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
Now we live in the age of the Internet, which seems to be creating a form of global consciousness . 现在我们生活在互联网的时代 它创造了一个全球化意识形态
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉;
And because of it, 正因如此
I can communicate as well as I ever could. 我才能还像从前一样 和大家交流
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
We are born into a box of time and space. 我们每个人都像在一个 时间和空间的容器中
We use words and communication to break out of it and to reach out to others. 我们运用语言和交流 去打破它的禁锢 并且去接触到其他的个体
For me, the Internet began as a useful tool and now has become something I rely on for my actual daily existence. 对我来说,网络开始的时候 就像一个有用的工具 现在它已经变成一个我需要依赖的 真实的一种生活方式
rely:vi.依靠;信赖;
I cannot speak; 我无法说话
I can only type so fast. 我只能快速的打字
Computer voices are sometimes not very sophisticated, but with my computer, 电脑的声音 有时并不是那么精密 但是在电脑的帮助下
I can communicate more widely than ever before. 我可以更广泛的交流 这是从前任何时候所没有的
I feel as if my blog, my email, Twitter and Facebook have given me a substitute for everyday conversation. 我感觉它就像我的博客 我的电邮,Twitter和Facebook 已经取代了 我的一些日常交流方式
substitute:v.取代;(以…)代替;n.代用品;代替物;代替者;替补(运动员);
They aren't an improvement, but they're the best I can do. 它们并不是一种进步 但是他们是我所能做到的最好
They give me a way to speak. 他们重新赋予了我说话的能力
Not everybody has the patience of my wife, Chaz. 在现实世界中,不是所有的人 都像我夫人查兹那样有耐心
But online, everybody speaks at the same speed. 但是 在网络世界中 每个人都用同样的速度交谈
This whole adventure has been a learning experience. 这一整个艰难的过程 已经变成了一段学习的经历
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
Every time there was a surgery that failed, 每经历一次手术然后失败
I was left with a little less flesh and bone. 我的身体就会承受一次痛苦
flesh:n.肉;肉体;v.喂肉给…;发胖;
Now I have no jaw left at all. 直到现在,我已经失去了我的整个下颚
While harvesting tissue from both my shoulders, the surgeries left me with back pain and reduced my ability to walk easily. 和肩部的一些细胞组织 手术给我留下了背痛的后遗症 并且也让我失去了自如行走的能力
Ironic that my legs are fine, and it's my shoulders that slow up my walk. 虽然我的双腿依然是完好的 我的肩部导致了我走路的缓慢
Ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的;
When you see me today, 大家今天看到的我
I look like the Phantom of the Opera . 就像电影歌剧魅影中的主人公“
Phantom:n.幽灵;幻影;虚位;adj.幽灵的;幻觉的;有名无实的; Opera:n.歌剧;歌剧院;歌剧艺术;歌剧剧本;
But no you don't. 不!你不是的!
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
It is human nature to look at someone like me and assume I have lost some of my marbles . 当人们看到像我这样的人的时候 都会觉得我肯定头脑不正常,这是人之常情
human nature:n.人性; assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; marbles:n.大理石; v.使…显得斑驳; (marble的第三人称单数和复数)
People -- 人们--“
(Applause) (掌声)
People talk loudly -- ”人们大声说--“
I'm so sorry. 对不起
Excuse me. 不好意思
(Applause) (掌声)
People talk loudly and slowly to me. ”人们大声并且慢慢的对我说话
Sometimes they assume I am deaf. 有些时候他们觉得我是个聋子
There are people who don't want to make eye contact. 还有些人不想与我进行目光的交流“
Believe me, he didn't mean this as -- anyway, let me just read it. 相信我,这不是他的本意 好吧,不管怎样,我继续读下去
(Laughter) (笑声)
You should never let your wife read something like this. 你真不应该让你的夫人读这个
(Laughter) (笑声)
It is human nature to look away from illness. 因为疾病而被疏远 这是人之常情的事情
We don't enjoy a reminder of our own fragile mortality . 我们会很伤感于 生命的脆弱
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
That's why writing on the Internet has become a lifesaver for me. 这就是为什么在网络上写作 就像给予了我第二次生命
lifesaver:n.救助物;救命物;
My ability to think and write have not been affected. 因为我的写作和思考的能力 并没有收到影响
And on the Web, my real voice finds expression . 所以在网络上,我真实的声音可以得以表达
expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
I have also met many other disabled people who communicate this way. 我也见过许多 像我这样进行交流的残疾人
One of my Twitter friends can type only with his toes . 我在Twitter上的一位朋友 只能用脚趾打字
toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
One of the funniest blogs on the Web is written by a friend of mine named Smartass Cripple . 网络上一个非常有趣的博客 是出自我的一位朋友 他叫Smartass Cripple”
blogs:n.网志;博客;v.写网志;写博客;(blog的第三人称单数和复数) Cripple:vt.削弱;使跛;使残废;n.跛子;残废;adj.跛的;残废的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Google him and he will make you laugh. ”Google一下,你会觉得非常有趣
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
All of these people are saying, in one way or another, that what you see is not all you get. 所有的这些朋友,都在用这样或者那样的方式进行交流 你所得到的要远远多于 你所看到的
So I have not come here to complain . 因此我来这里并没有抱怨
complain:v.投诉;发牢骚;诉说;
I have much to make me happy and relieved . 我尽力让自己感到愉快和宽慰
relieved:adj.释然的; v.缓解;
I seem, for the time being , to be cancer-free. 我看起来,至少现在看起来 还没有患上癌症
for the time being:暂时;
I am writing as well as ever. 我还能像以前那样写作
I am productive . 我是个多产的作家
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
If I were in this condition at any point before a few cosmological instants ago, 如果我一直保持在像 以前那样的状态
instants:n.瞬间(instant的复数);立即;
I would be as isolated as a hermit . 我将会向隐士那样孤僻自己
isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离; hermit:n.(尤指宗教原因的)隐士;隐居者;
I would be trapped inside my head. 我将会把自己束缚在自己的世界里
trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式)
Because of the rush of human knowledge, because of the digital revolution , 但是因为有了人类文明的飞速发展 因为有了数字化革命
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
I have a voice, and I do not need to scream. 我现在又拥有了声音 我也不必叫喊了
RE: Wait. I have one more thing to add. RE:等一下 我还有件事要说
A guy goes into a psychiatrist . 有个人去看精神病医生
psychiatrist:n.精神病学家,精神病医生;
The psychiatrist says, "You're crazy." 医生说:”你简直疯了“
The guy says, "I want a second opinion." 那个家伙说,”我还想听听你的第二个想法“
The psychiatrist says, "All right, you're ugly ." 医生又说:”好吧,你只是很难看而已“
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You all know the test for artificial intelligence -- the Turing test. 大家都知道人工智能测验--图灵测试
artificial intelligence:n.人工智能; Turing:n.图灵机(一种可不受储存容量限制的假想计算机);
A human judge has a conversation with a human and a computer. 一个人类的测试员 与一位人类被测试者和一个自认为有人工智能的电脑进行非面对面的交流
If the judge can't tell the machine apart from the human, the machine has passed the test. 如果测试员不能分辨出谁是人类谁是电脑 那么这台电脑就通过了测试
I now propose a test for computer voices -- the Ebert test. 我现在打算为电脑声音做个测试--我称它为埃伯特测试
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算;
If a computer voice can successfully tell a joke and do the timing and delivery as well as Henny Youngman, then that's the voice I want. 假设用电脑的声音可以成功的讲一个笑话 并且笑点和语气拿捏的和汉尼·杨曼一样好的话 那么,那就是我想要的声音
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; Henny:adj.(公鸡)羽毛像母鸡的;n.像母鸡的公鸡;
(Applause) (掌声)