|
|
RobertHammond_2011U-_空中公园_
|
The Highline is an old, elevated rail line that runs for a mile and a half right through Manhattan. |
高架线 是一条旧的,高架轨道线 它直通曼哈顿有一英里半长的距离。 |
Highline:显着标题;高压线;高架的; elevated:adj.提高的;高尚的;欢欣的;v.提高;振奋;提拔;(elevate的过去分词和过去式)
|
And it was originally a freight line that ran down 10th Ave. |
它原本是 沿着第十大街的货运线。 |
originally:adv.原来;起初; freight:vt.运送;装货;使充满;n.货运;运费;船货;
|
And it became known as "Death Avenue " |
它因“死亡大道”而得名 |
Avenue:n.途径;(城镇的)大街;林荫道(尤指通往大住宅者);选择;
|
because so many people were run over by the trains that the railroad hired a guy on horseback to run in front, and he became known as the "West Side Cowboy." |
因为许多人被列车压死 以至于铁路局聘请马背上的一个家伙要跑在火车前鸣笛开道, 他就是著名的“西区小子”。 |
horseback:n.马背;峻峭的山脊;adv.在马背上;adj.性急的;草率的;未经充分考虑的;
|
But even with a cowboy, about one person a month was killed and run over. |
但即使有这样的牛仔, 每月约有一人 还是被压死。 |
So they elevated it. |
所以他们建了高架轨道。 |
They built it 30 ft. in the air, right through the middle of the city. |
他们把它建在空中有30英尺高,横跨城市市中。 |
But with the rise of interstate trucking, it was used less and less. |
但随着州际货运的兴起, 高架线被用得越来越少。 |
interstate:adj.州际的;州与州之间的;n.(美)州际公路;
|
And by 1980, the last train rode. |
到1980年,最后一班列车运行。 |
It was a train loaded with frozen turkeys -- they say, at Thanksgiving -- from the meatpacking district. |
据说,在感恩节,那是一辆装有冷冻火鸡的列车-- 从肉类加工区开出。 |
meatpacking:n.肉类加工业;
|
And then it was abandoned . |
然后高架线被弃用。 |
abandoned:adj.被抛弃的放纵的;v.抛弃;丢弃,离开;放弃;(abandon的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I live in the neighborhood , and I first read about it in the New York Times, in an article that said it was going to be demolished . |
我住在附近, 我第一次在纽约时报读到这个, 在一篇文章里说它要被拆除。 |
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; demolished:v.拆毁,拆除(建筑物);推翻(观点或理论);(demolish的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I assumed someone was working to preserve it or save it and I could volunteer , but I realized no one was doing anything. |
我想着有人会行动 去保留或者保护它 我可以志愿, 但我意识到没有人做点事请。 |
assumed:adj.假定的;假设的;v.假定;假设;认为;承担;(assume的过去分词和过去式) preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品; volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
|
I went to my first community board meeting -- which I'd never been to one before -- and sat next to another guy named Joshua David, who's a travel writer. |
我第一次去了社区委员会会议-- 之前我从没去过-- 邻座的另一个人名叫约书亚·大卫, 他是一名旅行作家。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; Joshua:n.约书亚;约书亚书;
|
And at the end of the meeting, we realized we were the only two people that were sort of interested in the project; most people wanted to tear it down. |
在会议之后,我意识到 我们是仅有的两个人会对这计划感兴趣; 多数人想要拆除它。 |
So we exchanged business cards, and we kept calling each other and decided to start this organization , |
所以我们交换了名片, 我们互通电话 决定开始组成这个组织, |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
|
Friends of the High Line. |
高架线的朋友。 |
And the goal at first was just saving it from demolition , but then we also wanted to figure out what we could do with it. |
起初目标 仅是保护它不要被拆除, 但后来我们也想搞明白我们可以为此做些什么。 |
demolition:n.拆除(等于demolishment);破坏;毁坏;
|
And what first attracted me, or interested me, was this view from the street -- which is this steel structure , sort of rusty, this industrial relic . |
首先吸引我的或让我感兴趣的 是从这街上看过去的高架线-- 它是这种钢铁结构, 有点生锈, 这种工业建筑遗产。 |
structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; relic:n.遗迹,遗物;废墟;纪念物;
|
But when I went up on top, it was a mile and a half of wildflowers running right through the middle of Manhattan with views of the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River. |
但当我从上放眼望去, 它是一英里半的野花丛生 直通曼哈顿的市中心 可以看见帝国大厦, 自由女神像和哈得逊河。 |
wildflowers:n.野花组合(由多种1-2年生草本花卉及多年生宿根花卉按照一定的配方混合组成); Statue of Liberty:n.(美国纽约港的)自由女神像; Hudson:n.哈得孙河;
|
And that's really where we started, the idea coalesced around, let's make this a park, and let's have it be sort of inspired by this wildscape. |
这的确就是我们开始要着手的 结合周围的想法就是让我们把这建成一个公园, 让我们把它建成 是受这种野外景致启发的公园。 |
coalesced:合并(coalesce的过去式和过去分词); inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
At the time, there was a lot of opposition . |
那时候,还有很多阻力。 |
opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
|
Mayor Giuliani wanted to tear it down. |
朱利亚尼市长想要拆除它。 |
Mayor:n.市长;镇长;
|
I'm going to fast-forward through a lot of lawsuits and a lot of community engagement . |
我会很快面临许多诉讼 和参与许多社区。 |
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进; lawsuits:n.诉讼,法律诉讼;控诉(lawsuit的复数形式); engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
|
Mayor Bloomberg came in office, he was very supportive , but we still had to make the economic case. |
布隆伯格市长来到我办公室,他是非常支持的, 但我们还得面对经济问题。 |
supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
This was after 9/11; the city was in tough times. |
这是在9/11之后; 纽约市处于困难时期。 |
So we commissioned an economic feasibility study to try to make the case. |
所以我们委托了一家经济可行性研究 试着做这案例。 |
commissioned:adj.受委任的;v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的过去式和过去分词) feasibility:n.可行性;可能性;
|
And it turns out, we got those numbers wrong. |
结果是,我们得到了错误的数字。 |
We thought it would cost 100 million dollars to build. |
我们原想它会花费1亿美元去建成。 |
So far it's cost about 150 million. |
到目前为止,它的成本约为一亿五千万元。 |
And the main case was, this is going to make good economic sense for the city. |
主要是, 这将会为这城市带来好的经济效益。 |
So we said over a 20-year time period, the value to the city in increased property values and increased taxes would be about 250 million. |
所以我们说在20年的时间内, 对这城市价值是增加其地产价值 增加税收 会约为两亿五千万美元。 |
That was enough. It really got the city behind it. |
这足够了。这真的得到了它背后的城市价值。 |
It turns out we were wrong on that. |
但结果是我们就这方面是错误的。 |
Now people estimate it's created about a half a billion dollars, or will create about a half a billion dollars, in tax revenues for the city. |
现在人们估计它创造了约0.5亿美元, 或者会创造约0.5亿美元 在城市的税收方面。 |
estimate:v.估计;估算;估价;n.估价;(对大小、数量、成本等的)估计;估计的成本; revenues:n.[会计]收入;税收;[会计]收益;营业收入(revenue的复数形式);
|
We did a design competition , selected a design team. |
我们有了一个设计比赛, 选择了一个设计团队。 |
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛;
|
We worked with them to really create a design that was inspired by that wildscape. |
我们与他们 受此野外景致的启发而真正创造了一个设计。 |
There's three sections. |
共有三个部分。 |
We opened the fist section in 2009. |
在2009年我们开放了第一部分。 |
It's been successful beyond our dreams. |
它远超乎我们的梦想而成功了。 |
Last year we had about two million people, which is about 10 times what we ever estimated . |
去年约有两百万人, 这比我们曾估计的人数要多出10倍。 |
estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的;
|
This is one of my favorite features in section one. |
在第一部分这是我最喜欢的景致之一。 |
It's this amphitheater right over 10th Ave. |
这是在第十大街的圆形剧场。 |
amphitheater:n.竞技场;[建]圆形露天剧场;古罗马剧场;
|
And the first section ends at 20th St. right now. |
目前第一部分截止于第二十大街。 |
The other thing, it's generated , obviously, a lot of economic value; it's also inspired, I think, a lot of great architecture . |
另一件事,很明显,它产生了大量的经济价值; 我想,它也激发了许多伟大的建筑。 |
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词) architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
|
There's a point, you can stand here and see buildings by Frank Gehry, |
在这一点,你能站在这儿 俯视弗兰克·盖里 |
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄;
|
Jean Nouvel, Shigeru Ban, |
让·努维尔,坂茂, |
Neil Denari. |
尼尔·丹尼瑞的建筑群。 |
And the Whitney is moving downtown and is building their new museum right at the base of the High Line. |
惠特尼艺术博物馆会移到市中心 恰好在在高架线基地建立它们的新博物馆。 |
downtown:n.市区;闹市区;adv.在市区;在热闹街上;到闹市区;adj.闹市区的;
|
And this has been designed by Renzo Piano. |
这博物馆是由伦佐·皮亚诺设计的。 |
And they're going to break ground in May. |
他们会在今年五月破土动工。 |
And we've already started construction on section two. |
我们已经开工建设第二部分。 |
construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
|
This is one of my favorite features, this flyover where you're eight feet off the surface of the High Line, running through a canopy of trees. |
这也是我最喜欢的景致之一, 这座天桥 离高架线的表面有8英尺 它穿行于一群树木树冠之间。 |
flyover:n.天桥;立交桥;立交马路; canopy:n.天篷;华盖;遮篷;苍穹;vt.用天蓬遮盖;遮盖;
|
The High Line used to be covered in billboards , and so we've taken a playful take where, instead of framing advertisements, it's going to frame people in views of the city. |
高架线曾被广告牌覆盖, 所以我们采取俏皮的方法 取代框架广告的是, 它会把人们框架到城市的景观中去。 |
billboards:n.(大幅)广告牌;v.宣传;(billboard的第三人称单数和复数) playful:adj.开玩笑的;幽默的;爱嬉戏的; framing:v.给…做框;作伪证陷害;制订;拟订;n.框架;结构;骨骼;(frame的现在分词) frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
|
This was just installed last month. |
这是上月才开始安装的。 |
installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式)
|
And then the last section was going to go around the rail yards, which is the largest undeveloped site in Manhattan. |
然后最后一部分是沿着各铁路站场, 它们是曼哈顿最大的未开发的 地方。 |
undeveloped:adj.未开发的;不发达的;未充分发育的; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
|
And the city has planned -- for better or for worse -- 12 million square-feet of development that the High Line is going to ring around. |
纽约市为了更好的或者更糟的城市规划着-- 一千两百万平方英尺的发展 高架线也将环顾左右。 |
But what really, I think, makes the High Line special is the people. |
但我想使得高架线的确特别的 是人们。 |
And honestly, even though I love the designs that we were building, |
实话说,尽管我爱我们所建造的设计, |
I was always frightened that I wouldn't really love it, because I fell in love with that wildscape -- and how could you recreate that magic? |
我常常害怕,我不会是真的爱它们, 因为我爱上了这种野外景致-- 我们怎能重新创造这种神奇呢? |
frightened:adj.害怕的;受惊的;惊吓的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐;(frighten的过去分词和过去式) recreate:vt.再现;再创造
|
But what I found is it's in the people and how they use it that, to me, makes it so special. |
但我所发现的 是这里的人们,他们怎么使用这公园 对我而言,才使得这高架线如此特别。 |
Just one quick example is I realized right after we opened that there were all these people holding hands on the High Line. |
仅一个简单的例子 是我恰好意识到在我们开放公园后 在高架线所有这些人握手了。 |
And I realized New Yorkers don't hold hands; we just don't do that outside. |
我知道纽约人从不握手; 我们只是在外边不会这么做。 |
But you see that happening on the High Line, and I think that's the power that public space can have to transform how people experience their city and interact with each other. |
但大家看到在高架线上所发生的事, 我想这就是种力量 使得公众空间可以 改变人们体验自己城市的感受 并互动联系在一起。 |
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息;
|
Thanks. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |