返回首页

RobertFull_2009-_壁虎尾巴的学问_

Let me share with you today an original discovery. 今天,我将与你们分享一个独立发现的故事。
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
But I want to tell it to you the way it really happened -- not the way I present it in a scientific meeting, or the way you'd read it in a scientific paper. 我想告诉你们这个发现究竟是如何发生的。 而不像科学会议, 或是文献中介绍的故事。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
It's a story about beyond biomimetics , to something I'm calling biomutualism. 这个发现的领域超越了传统的仿生学, 我把它称作Biomutualism。
biomimetics:n.生体模仿学;
I color="Black"> define that as an color="Black"> association between color="Black"> biology and another color="Black"> discipline , where each discipline color="Black"> reciprocally advances the other, but where the color="Black"> collective discoveries that emerge are beyond any single field. 它是生物学与另一门学科 相互促进、发现的科研方法。 其共同研究的成果非任何单一学科所能及。
Now, in terms of biomimetics, as human technologies take on more of the characteristics of nature, nature becomes a much more useful teacher. 就仿生学来说, 在人类科技不断学习、仿制自然的过程中, 大自然成为了一个越来越有益的老师。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
Engineering can be inspired by biology by using its principles and analogies when they're advantageous , but then integrating that with the best human engineering, ultimately to make something actuall y better t han nature. 比如工程师常在生物学中寻找启发, 借鉴自然中实用的原理和相似的现象。 他们将这些启发与最好的工程方法相结合, 才得以设计出超越自然界灵感来源本身的产品。
Engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) analogies:n.类比;类推法; advantageous:adj.有利的;有益的; integrating:v.(使)合并,成为一体;(使)加入,融入群体;(integrate的现在分词)
Now, being a biologist , I was very curious about this. 作为生物学家,我对这样一个过程很好奇。
biologist:n.生物学家; curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
These are gecko toes . 这是壁虎的脚趾。
gecko:n.[脊椎]壁虎; toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
And we wondered how they use these bizarre toes to climb up a wall so quickly. 我们很想知道壁虎是如何用这些奇怪的脚趾来 飞快地爬墙。
bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等);
We discovered it. And what we found was that they have leaf-like structures on their toes, with millions of tiny hairs that look like a rug , and each of those hairs has the worst case of split-ends possible: about 100 to 1000 split ends that are nano-size. 我们已经找到了答案。 它们趾上有许多这样叶状的结构 每一片上有上百万这样非常小的刚毛。 每一条刚毛还被最大可能的分叉, 大约100至1000个这样纳米级的分叉。
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式); rug:n.小地毯;垫子;(盖腿的)厚毯子;v.用厚毯包; split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
And the individual has 2 billion of these nano-size split ends. 这条壁虎有20亿左右这样的刚毛端。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
They don't stick by Velcro or suction or glue . 它们并不是用于吸力、粘力或是尼龙搭扣的摩擦力。
Velcro:n.维可牢(一种尼龙搭扣的商标名称); suction:n.吸;吸力;抽吸; glue:n.胶;胶水;v.粘贴;
They actually stick by intermolecular forces alone, van der Waals forces. 它们的吸附能力仅仅依靠分子间的作用力, 也叫做范德华力。
intermolecular:adj.分子间的;作用于分子间的,存在于分子间的;
And I'm really pleased to report to you today that the first synthetic self-cleaning , dry adhesive has been made. 今天我很高兴地告诉大家 利用这个原理设计的自洁式干性黏结材料已经制成。
synthetic:adj.综合的;合成的,人造的;n.合成物; self-cleaning:adj.自动清洗的;自洁式的; adhesive:n.粘合剂;胶黏剂;adj.粘着的;带粘性的;
From the simplest version in nature, one branch, my engineering collaborator , Ron Fearing, at Berkeley, had made the first synthetic version. 从刚毛分叉这个简单的自然现象, 我在伯克利的工程合作伙伴Ron Fearing 发明了壁虎趾的合成版本。
collaborator:n.[劳经]合作者;勾结者;通敌者;
And so has my other incredible collaborator, 另一个出色的合作伙伴也发明了相似的材料,
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
Mark Cutkosky, at Stanford -- he made much larger hairs than the gecko, but used the same general principles. 他是斯坦福大学的Mark Cutkosky。 尽管他用了比壁虎更大的刚毛 但是工作原理却没有变。
And here is its first test. 这是第一次测试。
(Laughter) (笑声)
That's Kellar Autumn, my former Ph.D. student, professor now at Lewis and Clark, literally giving his first-born child up for this test. 这位是我曾指导过的博士Kellar Autumn, 现任路易斯-克拉克大学教授, 为了测试甘愿牺牲自己的长女。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: first-born:n.长子;长女;adj.头胎的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
More recently , this happened. 这是最近的一次试验。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
Man: This the first time someone has actually climbed with it. 采访对象:这是这种材料第一次被用于攀墙。
Narrator : Lynn Verinsky, a professional climber, who appeared to be brimming with confidence . 解说:这位是专业攀登选手Lynn Verinsky 她充满了信心。
Narrator:n.讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; brimming:v.(使)满,盛满;(brim的现在分词) confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
Lynn Verinsky: Honestly, it's going to be perfectly safe. It will be perfectly safe. Lynn Verinsky:老实说,这将是一次非常安全的试验。
Man: How do you know? 记者:你怎么知道?
Lynn Verinsky: Because of liability insurance . (Laughter) Lynn Verinsky:因为我买了保险。
liability:n.责任;债务;倾向;可能性;不利因素; insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
Narrator: With a mattress below and attached to a safety rope, 解说:在墙下放好床垫并系上安全绳,
mattress:n.床垫;褥子;空气垫; attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
Lynn began her 60-foot ascent . Lynn开始了60英尺的攀登。
ascent:n.上升;上坡路;登高;
Lynn made it to the top in a perfect pairing of Hollywood and science. Lynn在好莱坞与科学完美的结合下 成功到达了顶端。
Man: So you're the first human being to officially emulate a gecko. 记者:你是第一个成功模仿壁虎的人。
emulate:vt.仿真;模仿;尽力赶上;同…竞争;n.仿真;仿效;
Lynn Verinsky: Ha! Wow. And what a privilege that has been. Lynn Verinsky:哈!喔。这让我觉得很特别。
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
Robert Full: That's what she did on rough surfaces. Robert Full:这次试验是在粗糙墙壁上进行的。
But she actually used these on smooth surfaces -- two of them -- to climb up, and pull herself up. 她在光滑表面 也用这两个爬到过顶。
And you can try this in the lobby , and look at the gecko-inspired material. 会后大家可以在大厅中自己尝试, 看看这些仿壁虎材料。
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
Now the problem with the robots doing this is that they can't get unstuck , with the material. 要让机器人这么做有个问题 它们用这种材料粘上了以后 松不开。
unstuck:adj.松开的,未粘住的;紊乱的;失灵的;
This is the gecko's solution . They actually peel their toes away from the surface, at high rates, as they run up the wall. 这是壁虎的解决方法。它们在爬墙时 很快地从接触面 把趾剥开。
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
Well I'm really excited today to show you the newest version of a robot, Stickybot, using a new hierarchical dry adhesive. 今天我很兴奋地展示给你们 一个崭新的机器人,Stickeybot。 它配备有仿壁虎的干性黏结材料。
hierarchical:adj.分层的;等级体系的;
Here is the actual robot. 这就是我说的机器人。
And here is what it does. 它是这样工作的。
And if you look, you can see that it uses the toe peeling, just like the gecko does. 请看, 它可以 剥开趾尖, 和壁虎一样。
If we can show some of the video, you can see it climbing up the wall. 看它在录像中攀墙。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
There it is. 看。
And now it can go on other surfaces because of the new adhesive that the Stanford group was able to do in designing this incredible robot. 它适用与各种表面。 因为斯坦福研究组发明的新型黏结材料 用在了它的设计上。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Oh. One thing I want to point out is, look at Stickybot. 哦。还有一点要指出的,Stickybot
You see something on it. It's not just to look like a gecko. 它身上还有一样东西,不只是为了让它看起来像壁虎。
It has a tail. And just when you think you've figured out nature, this kind of thing happens. 它有一条尾巴。当你刚自以为了解了自然, 新的问题又来了。
The engineers told us, for the climbing robots, that, if they don't have a tail, they fall off the wall . 设计它的工程师们告诉我们,用于攀登的机器人 如果没有尾巴 一定会从墙上摔下来。
off the wall:adj.异乎寻常的;疯狂的,疯疯癫癫的;
So what they did was they asked us an important question. 他们向我们提出了一个 重要的问题。
They said, "Well, it kind of looks like a tail." 他们说:“这个看起来像一个尾巴。”
Even though we put a passive bar there. 尽管这只是一个不能运动的塑料杆。
passive:adj.被动的,消极的;被动语态的;n.被动语态;
'"Do animals use their tails when they climb up walls?" “动物们在攀登中也用尾巴么?”
What they were doing was returning the favor, by giving us a hypothesis to test, in biology, that we wouldn't have thought of. 这些工程师做的叫做“礼尚往来”, 还给我们一个可以测试的假设, 而这个假设并没有在生物学界被考虑过。
hypothesis:n.假设;
So of course, in reality, we were then panicked , being the biologists , and we should know this already. 当时,我们自然的很紧张, 作为生物学家,我们应该知道问题的答案。
panicked:v.(使)惊慌,惊慌失措;(panic的过去分词和过去式) biologists:n.生物学家(biologist的复数);
We said, "Well, what do tails do?" 所以我们自问:“尾巴有什么用?”
Well we know that tails store fat, for example. 我们知道尾巴被用来储存脂肪,
We know that you can grab onto things with them. 用作附肢。
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
And perhaps it is most well known that they provide static balance. 可能最为大家所知的 是尾巴在保持静态平衡上的作用。
well known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的; static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰);
(Laughter) (笑声)
It can also act as a counterbalance . 它也可以被用作配重。
counterbalance:n.平衡力;自动抵销;vt.使平衡;抵消;
So watch this kangaroo . 看这只袋鼠。
kangaroo:袋鼠
See that tail? That's incredible! 看那条尾巴,多么惊人!
Marc Raibert built a Uniroo hopping robot. Marc Raibert设计了一个跳跃机器人Uniroo。
Marc:n.机读目录;(水果,种子等经压榨后的)榨渣; hopping:adj.很活跃的;忙忙碌碌的;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;(hop的现在分词)
And it was unstable without its tail. 在没有尾巴的情况下,它无法保持平衡。
unstable:adj.不稳定的;变化莫测的;(行为、情绪)反复无常的
Now mostly tails limit maneuverability , like this human inside this dinosaur suit. 但另一个方面,尾巴限制了机动性。 像这个穿恐龙服的人。
maneuverability:n.可操作性;[航][车辆][船]机动性;
(Laughter) (笑声)
My colleagues actually went on to test this limitation , by increasing the moment of inertia of a student, so they had a tail, and running them through and obstacle course , and found a decrement in performance , like you'd predict . 我的同事还专门测试了这个限制。 通过增加一位学生的转动惯量,模拟尾巴的影响。 学生在障碍跑时 机动性明显地降低了。 正如你所预料的。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); limitation:n.限制;局限;限度;控制; inertia:n.[力]惯性;惰性,迟钝;不活动; obstacle course:n.障碍赛跑场地;艰险;重重困难;近战训练场; decrement:n.渐减;减缩;衰减率; performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But of course, this is a passive tail. 但这是一个不能动的被动尾巴。
And you can also have active tails. 你也可以有一条能动的主动尾巴。
And when I went back to research this, I realized that one of the great TED moments in the past, from Nathan, we've talked about an active tail. 我回去思考这个问题时,突然想到 在此前TED上 我与Nanthan 讨论过能动的尾巴。
Video: Myhrvold thinks tail-cracking dinosaurs were interested in love, not war. 录像:Myhrvold认为有长尾巴的恐龙 兴趣在于交配,而非打斗。
Robert Full: He talked about the tail being a whip for communication. Robert Full:他(Nanthan)介绍尾巴被当作鞭子用于交流。
whip:n.鞭子; v.鞭打;
It can also be used in defense. 用于自卫。
Pretty powerful. 很有力。
So we then went back and looked at the animal. 回到实验室,我们开始观察壁虎。
And we ran it up a surface. 让它攀登一个垂直表面。
But this time what we did is we put a slippery patch that you see in yellow there. 但在表面上端有一节是会打滑的, 也就是录像中黄色部分。
slippery:adj.滑的;狡猾的;不稳定的; patch:n.补丁;小片;眼罩;色斑;v.修补;打补丁;缝补;
And watch on the right what the animal is doing with its tail when it slips . This is slowed down 10 times. 再看右边,看它打滑后 是如何用它的尾巴的。这是放慢10倍后。
slips:滑倒;滑跤(slip的第三人称单数)
So here is normal speed. 这是正常速度。
And watch it now slip, and see what it does with its tail. 看它打滑, 看它的尾巴。
It has an active tail that functions as a fifth leg, and it contributes to stability . 它的主动尾巴被用作第五条腿。 帮助保持平衡。
contributes:[图情]投稿;[经]捐助;[经]捐献(contribute的第三人称单数); stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心;
If you make it slip a huge amount, this is what we discovered. 如果让壁虎打滑得更多的话,我们就会看到这样。
This is incredible. 真是难以置信。
The engineers had a really good idea. 可见工程师们想了一个很好的主意。
And then of course we wondered, okay, they have an active tail, but let's picture them. 之后我们想: 行,它们有一条能动的尾巴,让我们想像一下。
They're climbing up a wall, or a tree. 壁虎在爬墙,或是树。
And they get to the top and let's say there's some leaves there. 到了顶上,我们假设那里有一些叶子。
And what would happen if they climbed on the underside of that leaf, and there was some wind, or we shook it? 当它们爬到了叶子的反面 如果刚好有风,或者我在摇树会怎样?
underside:n.下面;阴暗面;
And we did that experiment, that you see here. 可以看到,我们做了这样的试验。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
And this is what we discovered. 这是我们的发现。
Now that's real time . You can't see anything. 正常速度,什么也看不到。
real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
But there it is slowed down. 但是减速之后
What we discovered was the world's fastest air-righting response . 我们发现了世界上最快的空中姿势矫正反应。
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
For those of you who remember your physics, that's a zero-angular-momentum righting response. But it's like a cat. 还记得物理的听众知道这是一个零角动量的 姿势矫正。像猫一样。
You know, cats falling. Cats do this. They twist their bodies. 猫在自由落体的时候,做相似的动作。它们扭转躯干。
twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓;
But geckos do it better. 但壁虎做的更好。
geckos:n.壁虎(gecko的复数形式);
And they do it with their tail. 它们利用尾巴。
So they do it with this active tail as they swing around. 在尾巴转圈的同事纠正姿势。
And then they always land in the sort of superman skydiving posture . 所以它们总是依像超人一样空中飞人的姿势落地。
skydiving:n.延缓张伞跳伞运动;特技跳伞运动 posture:n.姿势;态度;看法;立场;处理方式;v.故作姿态;装样子
Okay, now we wondered, if we were right, we should be able to test this in a physical model, in a robot. 我们进一步想到,如果这是真确的, 应该可以用在机器人上。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
So for TED we actually built a robot, over there, a prototype , with the tail. 我们特地为TED制作了一个机器人, 在那边,一个有尾巴的机器人原型。
prototype:n.原型;雏形;最初形态;
And we're going to attempt the first air-righting response in a tail, with a robot. 我们将在这里尝试在机器人上的第一次 空中姿势矫正试验。
attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
If we could have the lights on it. 给灯光。
Okay, there it goes. 开始??
And show the video. 放录像。
There it is. 看。
And it works just like it does in the animal. 和壁虎尾巴的原理一样。
So all you need is a swing of the tail to right yourself. 只要甩动尾巴就可以纠正自己的姿势。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Now, of course, we were normally frightened because the animal has no gliding adaptations , so we thought, "Oh that's okay. We'll put it in a vertical wind tunnel . 当然,我们对此非常吃惊 因为壁虎没有滑翔的能力, 所以我们想:“没问题,把壁虎放在垂直的风洞中。”
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; frightened:adj.害怕的;受惊的;惊吓的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐;(frighten的过去分词和过去式) gliding:adj.滑行的;流畅的;滑顺的;v.滑翔;消逝;溜走;(glide的现在分词形式) adaptations:n.适应;改编(adaptation的复数); vertical:n.垂直线;垂直位置;adj.竖的;垂直的;直立的;纵向的; wind tunnel:n.(试验飞机等用的)风洞;
We'll blow the air up, we'll give it a landing target, a tree trunk, just outside the plexi-glass enclosure , and see what it does. 向上吹风,在风洞边放一根树干作为目的地, 看它怎么办。
enclosure:n.附件;围墙;围场;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So we did. And here is what it does. 我们就这么做了。看壁虎如何应对。
So the wind is coming from the bottom. This is slowed down 10 times. 风从下往上吹。放慢10倍。
It does an equilibrium glide . Highly controlled. 它在水平滑翔。控制得非常好。
equilibrium:n.均衡;平静;保持平衡的能力; glide:n.滑翔;滑行;滑移;滑音;vt.滑翔;滑行;悄悄地走;消逝;vi.使滑行;使滑动; Highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地;
This is sort of incredible. But actually it's quite beautiful, when you take a picture of it. 令人难以置信。在照片上, 也很优美。
And it's better than that, it -- just in the slide -- maneuvers in mid-air . 还有更有趣的,它还可以在空中机动。
maneuvers:n.军事演习(maneuver的复数); mid-air:n.空中;
And the way it does it, is it takes its tail and it swings it one way to yaw left, and it swings its other way to yaw right. 用它的尾巴, 向一边甩动转向左,向另一边甩动,转向右。
So we can maneuver this way. 可以这样机动。
And then -- we had to film this several times to believe this -- it also does this. Watch this. 我们拍摄了很多次,才相信眼前所见。 看,它还可以这样。
It oscillates its tail up and down like a dolphin . 像海豚一样上下摆动尾巴。
oscillates:vt.使振荡;使振动;使动摇;vi.振荡;摆动;犹豫; dolphin:n.海豚;
It can actually swim through the air. 在空中游动。
But watch its front legs. Can you see what they are doing? 但注意它的前腿。看的出来它在做什么么?
What does that mean for the origin of flapping flight? 联想这个动作对于研究飞行起源的意义。
flapping:n.拍动;摇摆运动;adj.摇摆运动的;挥动的;v.拍打,轻拍(flap的现在分词);
Maybe it's evolved from coming down from trees, and trying to control a glide. 也许飞行是动物从树上坠落, 试图控制滑翔而进化而来的。
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
Stay tuned for that. 这个问题值得关注。
tuned:v.(为乐器)调音,校音;调整,调节(发动机);调频道(tune的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
So then we wondered, "Can they actually maneuver with this?" 我们又想:“壁虎真的能靠尾巴这样机动么?”
So there is the landing target. Could they steer towards it with these capabilities? Here it is in the wind tunnel. 这是叶子做的目的地。它们有没有能力滑翔过去呢? 在风洞里。
steer:v.引导;控制;操纵;驾驶(船、汽车等);n.建议;劝告;忠告;阉公牛; in the wind:即将发生;在进行;
And it certainly looks like it. 貌似可以。
You can see it even better from down on top. 从上往下的角度更清楚。
Watch the animal. 看它。
Definitely moving towards the landing target. 绝对是向目的地在机动。
Definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
Watch the whip of its tail as it does it. Look at that. 看它的尾巴。
It's unbelievable . 难以置信。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
So now we were really confused , because there are no reports of it gliding. 我们被弄糊涂了。 因为文献中并未记录壁虎拥有滑翔的能力。
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
So we went, "Oh my god, we have to go to the field, and see if it actually does this." 所以我们决定,一定要去野外 看是否如此。
Completely opposite of the way you'd see it on a nature film, of course. 这个自然和大家在自然纪录片中看到的顺序截然相反。
We wondered, "Do they actually glide in nature?" 我们想:“自然界中,这种壁虎是否滑翔。”
Well we went to the forests of Singapore and Southeast Asia. 我们前往东南亚新加坡的森林中。
Southeast:adj.东南的;来自东南的;n.东南;东南地区;adv.来自东南;
And the next video you see is the first time we've showed this. 下一个短片是我们第一次展示。
This is the actual video -- not staged, a real research video -- of animal gliding down. There is a red trajectory line. 这个短片没用道具,没有作假,是第一手的科研数据。 红色是它的滑翔轨迹。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道;
Look at the end to see the animal. 结尾可以更清楚的看到壁虎。
But then as it gets closer to the tree, look at the close-up . And see if you can see it land. 当它接近树干时, 看放大部分。能不能看到它着陆。
close-up:n.[电影]特写镜头,特写;小传;
So there it comes down. There is a gecko at the end of that trajectory line. 这是它在下降。轨迹末端可以看到一只壁虎。
You see it there? There? Watch it come down. 看到没有?看它滑落。
Now watch up there and you can see the landing. Did you see it hit? 现在注意看着陆,看到没有?
It actually uses its tail too, just like we saw in the lab. 它确实用上了尾巴。 和我们实验室里看到的一样。
So now we can continue this mutualism by suggesting that they can make an active tail. 继续一开始和工程师的互助互利, 建议他们设计一条能动的尾巴。
mutualism:n.[生态]共栖,互利共生;互助论;
And here is the first active tail, in the robot, made by Boston Dynamics . 这是机器人上第一条能动的尾巴, 由波士顿动力公司研制。
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); Dynamics:n.动力学,力学;
So to conclude , I think we need to build biomutualisms, like I showed, that will increase the pace of basic discovery in their application . 总结来说,我认为要进一步像我所介绍的这样,增强生物与其他学科的互动, 加快基础科学的研究与应用。
conclude:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定) application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
To do this though, we need to redesign education in a major way, to balance depth with interdisciplinary communication, and explicitly train people how to contribute to , and benefit from other disciplines . 要做到这点,我们需要从根本上从新设计我们的教育, 在深度与跨学科交互两个方面做到平衡。 专门训练能在多学科获利并贡献的人才。
redesign:vt.重新设计;n.重新设计;新设计; interdisciplinary:adj.各学科间的; explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地; contribute to:有助于;捐献; disciplines:n.[管理]纪律(discipline的复数); v.训导;
And of course you need the organisms and the environment to do it. 当然,同时还需要良好的生态与环境。
organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体;
That is, whether you care about security, search and rescue or health, we must preserve nature's designs, otherwise these secrets will be lost forever. 无论你关心国防、搜寻与救护还是医疗, 我们要保护自然, 不然自然界的秘密将被永远埋没。
rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救; preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品;
And from what I heard from our new president, 就我们新总统的态度来看,
I'm very optimistic . Thank you. 我很乐观。谢谢。
optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的;
(Applause) (掌声)