|
|
RitaPierson_2013S-_每个孩子都需要一个冠军_
|
I have spent my entire life either at the schoolhouse , on the way to the schoolhouse , or talking about what happens in the schoolhouse. |
我花一生的時間 待在學校裡、往學校途中 或是在討論在學校發生的事 |
schoolhouse:n.校舍;
|
Both my parents were educators, my maternal grandparents were educators, and for the past 40 years I've done the same thing. |
我的雙親都從事教職 而我的外公外婆也是教職 再加上我過去四十年來也在做相同的事 |
maternal:adj.母亲的;母性的;母系的;母体遗传的;
|
And so, needless to say, over those years |
理所當然的,這些年來 |
needless:adj.不必要的,不需要的;多余的,无用的;
|
I've had a chance to look at education reform from a lot of perspectives . |
我有機會從多方角度 去檢視教育改革 |
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善; perspectives:n.[数]透视,远景,看法;构面;观点展示(perspective的复数形式);
|
Some of those reforms have been good. |
有些改革效果很好 |
reforms:n.改革(reform的复数);v.改革(reform的单数第三人称);
|
Some of them have been not so good. |
但也些則不然 |
And we know why kids drop out. |
我們知道學生輟學的原因 |
We know why kids don't learn. |
我們了解為什麼學生有學習困難 |
It's either poverty , low attendance , negative peer influences . We know why. |
原因可能是貧窮、蹺課或負面的同儕影響 我們都知道 |
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; attendance:n.出席;到场;出席人数; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详; influences:n.影响; v.影响;
|
But one of the things that we never discuss or we rarely discuss is the value and importance of human connection, relationships. |
但其中有一個是我們從來不會 或是幾乎不去討論的 就是人與人之間互動的價值與重要性 也就是人際關係 |
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
|
James Comer says that no significant learning can occur without a significant relationship. |
James Comer 說,沒有好的人際關係 就沒有顯著的學習效果 |
Comer:n.来者,来的人;有成功希望的人; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;
|
George Washington Carver says all learning is understanding relationships. |
George Washington Carver說 所有的學習來自了解人際關係 |
Carver:n.切肉刀;雕刻者;切肉的人;
|
Everyone in this room has been affected by a teacher or an adult. |
現場每個人都曾經 被一位老師或大人所影響 |
For years, I have watched people teach. |
這些年來,我看過許多人教書 |
I have looked at the best and I've look at some of the worst. |
有最好的以及一些最差的示範 |
at the best:adv.充其量,至多;
|
A colleague said to me one time, "They don't pay me to like the kids. |
一位同事曾經對我說 沒人付薪水要求我去喜歡學生 |
colleague:n.同事,同僚;
|
They pay me to teach a lesson. |
他們只要我去教課 |
The kids should learn it. |
學生有義務學習 |
I should teach it. They should learn it. Case closed." |
我有義務上課, 而學生有義務學會, 就這樣 |
Well, I said to her, "You know, kids don't learn from people they don't like." |
嗯,我告訴我的同事 學生不會從他們不喜歡的人身上學東西 |
(Laughter) (Applause) |
(笑聲) (掌聲) |
She said, "That's just a bunch of hooey ." |
她回答: 這些完全沒意義 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; hooey:n.胡言乱语;傻事;int.真傻;
|
And I said to her, "Well, your year is going to be long and arduous , dear." |
我說: 那麼,親愛的 妳的教書生涯將會漫長又辛苦 |
arduous:adj.努力的;费力的;险峻的;
|
Needless to say it was. Some people think that you can either have it in you to build a relationship or you don't. |
不用我多說,很多人認為 能否建立關係倚賴的是 你是否有足夠本事 |
I think Stephen Covey had the right idea. |
我認為Stephen Covey的想法比較正確 |
Covey:n.一队;一群;
|
He said you ought to just throw in a few simple things, like seeking first to understand as opposed to being understood, simple things like apologizing. |
他說你該試著投入幾件簡單的小事 像是先去尋求理解 而不是要別人理解你 又例如道歉 |
seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
You ever thought about that? |
你有想過嗎? |
Tell a kid you're sorry, they're in shock. |
跟學生道歉,他們會很震驚 |
I taught a lesson once on ratios . |
我曾經教過一堂比值的課 |
ratios:n.比率(ratio的复数); v.以比率表示;
|
I'm not real good with math, but I was working on it. |
我數學不是頂好,但我很努力地教 |
And I got back and looked at that teacher edition. |
但當我回去看教師手冊, |
I'd taught the whole lesson wrong. (Laughter) |
我發現我全教錯了 (笑聲) |
So I came back to class the next day, and I said, "Look, guys, I need to apologize. |
所以在隔天回到課堂上時,我說: 各位,我需要道歉 |
I taught the whole lesson wrong. I'm so sorry." |
我把整堂課教錯了,我很抱歉 |
They said, "That's okay, Ms. Pierson. |
他們說: 沒關係,Pierson老師 |
You were so excited, we just let you go." |
你教得很激動,所以我們原諒你 |
(Laughter) (Applause) |
(笑聲)(掌聲) |
I have had classes that were so low, so academically deficient that I cried. |
我曾教過程度很糟的班級 程度糟到我都哭了 |
academically:adv.学术上;学业上; deficient:adj.不足的;有缺陷的;不充分的;
|
I wondered, how am I going to take this group in nine months from where they are to where they need to be? |
我想, 我未來如何帶領這群學生? 在九個月內 把現在的他們帶領到應有的水準? |
And it was difficult. It was awfully hard. |
這是個非常困難的任務, |
awfully:adv.非常;极其;
|
How do I raise the self-esteem of a child and his academic achievement at the same time ? |
我該如何同時提昇 他們的自尊及學業程度? |
self-esteem:n.自尊;自负;自大; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
One year I came up with a bright idea. |
有一年我想到一個很棒的點子 |
I told all my students, "You were chosen to be in my class because I am the best teacher and you are the best students, they put us all together so we could show everybody else how to do it." |
我告訴我的學生 你們被挑選到我的班上 因為我是最棒的老師, 而你們是最棒的學生 學校把我們放在一起 好成為每個人的典範 |
One of the students said, "Really?" |
其中一個學生問, 真的嗎? |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
I said, "Really. We have to show the other classes how to do it, so when we walk down the hall, people will notice us, so you can't make noise. |
我答: 真的! 我們要成為其他班級的榜樣 所以當我們穿越走廊 大家都在注意我們,所以不要喧鬧 |
You just have to strut ." |
只顧昂首闊步 |
strut:vt.炫耀; n.支柱; vi.高视阔步;
|
And I gave them a saying to say: "I am somebody. |
然後我叫他們說: 我是非凡的 |
I was somebody when I came. |
我進來時本來就很特別 |
I'll be a better somebody when I leave. |
而當我離開時我會變得更好 |
I am powerful, and I am strong. |
我很有能力而且很強 |
I deserve the education that I get here. |
我配得接受這裡的教育 |
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
|
I have things to do, people to impress , and places to go." |
我有任務要完成,我要讓人對我另眼相看 也有我該去的地方 |
impress:v.盖印;强征;传送;给予某人深刻印象;
|
And they said, "Yeah!" |
然後他們回答, 讚! |
You say it long enough, it starts to be a part of you. |
當你反覆說久了 那些話便成為你的一部分 |
And so ?? (Applause) |
所以- (掌聲) |
I gave a quiz , 20 questions. |
我給了他們一個二十題的小考 |
quiz:n.小测验;知识竞赛;v.盘问;查问;询问;
|
A student missed 18. |
有個學生錯了十八題 |
I put a "+2" on his paper and a big smiley face. |
我在紙上寫了個 +2 和大大的笑臉 |
smiley:n.微笑符(等于smily);adj.微笑的;引起微笑的;
|
He said, "Ms. Pierson, is this an F?" |
他說: 老師,我不及格了嗎? |
I said, "Yes." |
我說: 是 |
He said, "Then why'd you put a smiley face?" |
他說: 那您為什麼話一個笑臉? |
I said, "Because you're on a roll . |
我說: 因為你在進步 |
on a roll:(非正式)顺利的;走运的;势如破竹;连连获胜;好运连连;
|
You got two right. You didn't miss them all." |
你答對兩題,沒有全部答錯. |
I said, "And when we review this, won't you do better?" |
我問: 在我們檢討後 你會不會做得更好? |
He said, "Yes, ma'am, I can do better." |
他說 會, 老師, 我能做得更好 |
You see, "-18" sucks all the life out of you. |
你看, -18 讓你的人生看起來很糟 |
sucks:v.吮吸;吸;咂;啜;抽吸;抽取;(suck的第三人称单数)
|
'"+2" said, "I ain't all bad." |
+2 卻代表 其實我還有救 |
(Laughter) (Applause) |
(笑聲) (掌聲) |
For years I watched my mother take the time at recess to review, go on home visits in the afternoon, buy combs and brushes and peanut butter and crackers |
多年來我看我母親 利用休息時間檢討, 利用下午做家庭訪問 買梳子、筆刷、花生醬 及餅乾 |
recess:n.休会;休庭;壁橱;隐蔽处;v.休会;暂停;把…放进壁橱;将…嵌入墙壁; combs:n.梳子(comb的复数);v.梳头发;梳毛(comb的第三人称单数); peanut butter:n.花生酱; crackers:adj.疯狂;发狂;n.薄脆饼干;彩包爆竹;十分愉快的事;(cracker的复数)
|
to put in her desk drawer for kids that needed to eat, and a washcloth and some soap for the kids who didn't smell so good. |
放在桌上讓需要的同學 一塊毛布和肥皂讓身上有臭味的學生可以用 |
drawer:n.抽屉;内裤;出票人;起草者;酒馆侍者; washcloth:n.毛巾;面巾;洗碟布;
|
See, it's hard to teach kids who stink . |
因為,有異味的班級實在很難順利教學 |
stink:n.恶臭;吵闹;争吵;v.有臭味;令人厌恶;
|
And kids can be cruel. |
學生有時也會表現得很無情 |
And so she kept those things in her desk, and years later, after she retired, |
而那些東西依然擺在她桌上 幾年後,在她退休後 |
I watched some of those same kids come through and say to her, "You know, Ms. Walker, you made a difference in my life. |
我看到那些學生拜訪 並告訴她: Walker 老師, 你知道嗎 你改變了我的人生 |
You made it work for me. |
你讓事情變得可能 |
You made it:你做到了;你成功了;
|
You made me feel like I was somebody, when I knew, at the bottom, I wasn't. |
你讓我覺得自己是有價值的人 就算我內心深處知道我並不是 |
And I want you to just see what I've become." |
我想讓你看看現在的我 |
And when my mama died two years ago at 92, there were so many former students at her funeral , it brought tears to my eyes, not because she was gone, but because she left a legacy of relationships that could never disappear . |
兩年前, 當我母親92歲過世時 有那麼多的學生參加她的葬禮 眼淚滑下我的眼眶這並不是因為她的離去 而是看見了她留下了人情連結的典範 一個永不消失的典範 |
funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的; legacy:n.遗赠,遗产; disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
Can we stand to have more relationships? Absolutely . |
我們能創造更多人際關係嗎?當然 |
Absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
Will you like all your children? Of course not. |
你會喜歡所有的學生嗎?當然不 |
And you know your toughest kids are never absent . |
你知道最難纏的學生永不消失 |
absent:adj.缺席的;缺少的;心不在焉的;茫然的;v.使缺席;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
Never. You won't like them all, and the tough ones show up for a reason. |
絕不會、你不會喜歡他們全部 然而難纏的學生有他們出現的理由 |
It's the connection. It's the relationships. |
那是一種關聯一種人與人之間的關係 |
And while you won't like them all, the key is, they can never, ever know it. |
就算你不喜歡全部的學生 重點是絕對不要讓他們知道 |
So teachers become great actors and great actresses, and we come to work when we don't feel like it, and we're listening to policy that doesn't make sense , and we teach anyway. |
所以老師其實都是優秀的演員 就算我們不想我們還是得來上班 要聽從不合裡的校規 然後繼續教書 |
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; make sense:有意义;讲得通;言之有理;
|
We teach anyway, because that's what we do. |
我們繼續教書因為這是我們該做的事 |
Teaching and learning should bring joy. |
教書和學習應該帶來快樂 |
How powerful would our world be if we had kids who were not afraid to take risks, who were not afraid to think, and who had a champion? |
若我們的孩子願意冒險 想像世界會變得多強盛 不畏懼地思考 而哪個孩子是冠軍呢? |
Every child deserves a champion, an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection, and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be. |
每個孩子理當成為冠軍 了解人際關係重要性的大人 永遠不要放棄他們 並堅持要求他們盡全力做到最好 |
deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数)
|
Is this job tough? You betcha . Oh God, you betcha . |
這個工作很困難嗎?是啦,老天! 可不是嘛! |
betcha:当然,还用问么;真的,的确;
|
But it is not impossible. |
但並非不可能的任務 |
We can do this. We're educators. |
我們做得到, 因為我們是教育家 |
We're born to make a difference . |
我們生來就是要改變世界 |
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
Thank you so much. |
謝謝大家 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |