|
|
RichardSeymour_2011S-_美的感受是什么样的_
|
When I was little -- and by the way , I was little once -- my father told me a story about an 18th century watchmaker . |
当我还小的时候- 我也曾有年幼的时候- 我父亲告诉过我一个 关于18世纪的一个制表匠的故事 |
by the way:顺便说一下; watchmaker:n.钟表匠;表的制造人;
|
And what this guy had done: he used to produce these fabulously beautiful watches. |
这位制表匠 做了很多精美的手表 |
fabulously:adv.难以置信地;惊人地;
|
And one day, one of his customers came into his workshop and asked him to clean the watch that he'd bought. |
一天,他的一位客人来到他的作坊 要制表匠清洗他在此购买的手表 |
workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习;
|
And the guy took it apart, and one of the things he pulled out was one of the balance wheels. |
制表匠拆开表 取出的零件中有一个平衡轮 |
And as he did so, his customer noticed that on the back side of the balance wheel was an engraving , were words. |
客人注意到 在平衡轮的背后刻着 一些字 |
wheel:车轮,转动 engraving:n.雕刻;雕刻术;雕刻品;v.在…上雕刻;给…深刻的印象(engrave的现在分词);
|
And he said to the guy, "Why have you put stuff on the back that no one will ever see?" |
客人问 “你为什么在谁也看不见的地方 刻上字?” |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And the watchmaker turned around and said, "God can see it." |
制表匠转过身说 “上帝看得见” |
Now I'm not in the least bit religious , neither was my father, but at that point, I noticed something happening here. |
我不是在拿宗教说事 我父亲也不是 但是那一刻,我感受到了什么 |
not in the least:绝不,一点也不;一点不怕; religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑;
|
I felt something in this plexus of blood vessels and nerves , and there must be some muscles in there as well somewhere, I guess. |
我感受到 在我的血脉和神经里的什么 当然我觉得肯定也有肌肉 |
plexus:n.(血管,淋巴管,神经等的)[解剖]丛; vessels:n.血管(vessel的复数);船舶;容器; nerves:n.神经;神经紧张;勇气;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神;(nerve的第三人称单数和复数) muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数);
|
But I felt something. |
我能感受到 |
And it was a physiological response . |
这是一种真实的反应 |
physiological:adj.生理学的,生理的; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
And from that point on, from my age at the time, |
从那一刻,那个年纪 |
I began to think of things in a different way. |
我开始用不同的方式思考 |
And as I took on my career as a designer, |
随着我走上设计师的职业道路 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I began to ask myself the simple question: |
我开始问自己一个简单的问题: |
Do we actually think beauty, or do we feel it? |
我们思考“美”吗? 还是感受它? |
Now you probably know the answer to this already. |
也许你现在已经知道了答案 |
You probably think, well, I don't know which one you think it is, but I think it's about feeling beauty. |
你可能会想,“不知道你是怎么认为 但我觉得美是感受而来的” |
And so I then moved on into my design career and began to find some exciting things. |
而随着我的设计师生涯的继续 我开始发现一些令人惊讶的东西 |
One of the most early work was done in automotive design -- some very exciting work was done there. |
最早期的工作之一是机动车设计- 有些很棒的设计 |
automotive:adj.汽车的;自动的;
|
And during a lot of this work, we found something, or I found something, that really fascinated me, and maybe you can remember it. |
在其中 我们,或者说我发现了一些 令我着迷的东西,也许你记得 |
Do you remember when lights used to just go on and off, click click, when you closed the door in a car? |
你记得车灯的开关吗 关门的时候会响两声? |
And then somebody, I think it was BMW, introduced a light that went out slowly. |
然后我记得是某个BMW的设计师 开发了一种慢慢灭掉的灯 |
Remember that? |
记得吗? |
I remember it clearly. |
我记得非常清楚 |
Do you remember the first time you were in a car and it did that? |
你记得第一次坐在车里,发现灯会这样慢慢灭掉吗? |
I remember sitting there thinking, this is fantastic . |
我记得我坐在那儿想,心想这太棒了 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
In fact, I've never found anybody that doesn't like the light that goes out slowly. |
说实话,我还没发现谁 不喜欢灯这样缓缓灭掉 |
I thought, well what the hell's that about? |
我想,这到底是为什么呢? |
So I started to ask myself questions about it. |
于是我开始问自己这样的问题 |
And the first was, I'd ask other people: "Do you like it?" "Yes." |
首先我问别人“你喜欢这吗?”“喜欢啊” |
'"Why?" And they'd say, "Oh, it feels so natural," |
“为什么?”他们说“感觉挺自然的” |
or, "It's nice." |
或者“很棒” |
I thought, well that's not good enough. |
但我想这还不够 |
Can we cut down a little bit further, because, as a designer, I need the vocabulary, I need the keyboard, of how this actually works. |
得再深入一点 因为作为一个设计师我需要知道 这种感受究竟如何得来? 怎样描绘? |
And so I did some experiments. |
于是我做了一些实验 |
And I suddenly realized that there was something that did exactly that -- light to dark in six seconds -- exactly that. |
突然我意识到 确实有深层的原因- 6秒钟亮到暗- 就是这个 |
Do you know what it is? Anyone? |
你知道这是什么吗?有人知道吗? |
You see, using this bit, the thinky bit, the slow bit of the brain -- using that. |
想一想,想一下 用大脑的思维功能 |
And this isn't a think, it's a feel. |
但这不是思考,而是感受 |
And would you do me a favor? |
现在能不能请各位 |
For the next 14 minutes or whatever it is, will you feel stuff? |
接下来的14分钟左右里 关注你们的感受 |
I don't need you to think so much as I want you to feel it. |
我不希望你想太多,请感受吧。 |
so much as:甚至于;连…都不;
|
I felt a sense of relaxation tempered with anticipation . |
我感受到一种 带着关注的放松感 |
relaxation:n.放松;缓和;消遣; tempered:adj.缓和的,温和的;调节的;有…气质的;v.调和(temper的过去分词); anticipation:n.希望;预感;先发制人;预支;
|
And that thing that I found was the cinema or the theater. |
我发现的就是 电影院或者剧院 |
It's actually just happened here -- light to dark in six seconds. |
也正在如此- 6秒钟灯由亮变暗 |
And when that happens, are you sitting there going, "No, the movie's about to start," |
这个过程中,你坐在那儿心想的是 “不好,电影要开始了” |
or are you going, "That's fantastic. I'm looking forward to it. |
还是“太棒了,真期待啊 |
I get a sense of anticipation"? |
电影就要开始啦”? |
Now I'm not a neuroscientist . |
我不是神经科学家 |
neuroscientist:n.神经系统科学家;
|
I don't know even if there is something called a conditioned reflex . |
我甚至不知道这是不是叫做条件反射 |
reflex:n.反射;反映;映像;回复;习惯性思维;adj.反射的;反省的;反作用的;优角的;
|
But it might be. |
也许是吧 |
Because the people I speak to in the northern hemisphere that used to go in the cinema get this. |
因为跟我聊过的一些住在北半球的人 对电影院里这些习以为常 |
hemisphere:n.半球;
|
And some of the people I speak to that have never seen a movie or been to the theater don't get it in the same way. |
但我交谈过的另一些人 还没看过电影或者没去过电影院 他们的感受不完全一样 |
Everybody likes it, but some like it more than others. |
每个人都喜欢 但有些人更喜欢一些 |
So this leads me to think of this in a different way. |
这让我从另外一个角度思考这个问题 |
We're not feeling it. We're thinking beauty is in the limbic system -- if that's not an outmoded idea. |
我们不是在感受,而是用边缘系统在思考美- 如果这不是个过时的想法的话 |
limbic system:n.(大脑)边缘系; outmoded:adj.过时的,不流行的;v.使不流行(outmode的过去分词);
|
These are the bits, the pleasure centers, and maybe what I'm seeing and sensing and feeling is bypassing my thinking. |
愉悦感的中心是(体味美的)部件 也许我的观察,感受 跟思考无关 |
bypassing:v.绕过;避开;不顾(规章制度);不请示;(bypass的现在分词)
|
The wiring from your sensory apparatus to those bits is shorter than the bits that have to pass through the thinky bit, the cortex . |
从感官到这些部件 比从思维也就是大脑皮层要快 |
sensory:adj.感觉的;知觉的;传递感觉的; apparatus:n.装置,设备;仪器;器官; pass through:穿过;经历;经验;遭受; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮;
|
They arrive first. |
它们首先到达 |
So how do we make that actually work? |
这其中原理是如何呢? |
And how much of that reactive side of it is due to what we already know, or what we're going to learn, about something? |
这种反应有多大程度上 产生于我们已知的 或者我们将要学习的东西? |
reactive:adj.反应的;电抗的;反动的;
|
This is one of the most beautiful things I know. |
这是我所知道的最美妙的事情之一 |
It's a plastic bag. |
这是个塑料袋子 |
And when I looked at it first, I thought, no, there's no beauty in that. |
当我第一眼看到它的时候,我想这一点都不美 |
Then I found out, post exposure , that this plastic bag if I put it into a filthy puddle or a stream filled with chloroforms and all sorts of disgusting stuff, that that filthy water |
后来一看 我发现 如果我把它放到一个脏水坑里 或者含有氯仿的水里 或者各种各种样的脏东西 接着脏水 |
exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临; filthy:adj.肮脏的;污秽的;下流的;淫秽的;adv.极其肮脏的;富得流油的; puddle:n.水坑,泥潭; vt.使泥泞,搅浑; vi.搅泥浆; disgusting:adj.令人不快的;令人厌恶的;v.使作呕;使厌恶;使反感;(disgust的现在分词)
|
will migrate through the wall of the bag by osmosis and end up inside it as pure, potable drinking water . |
会通过反渗透进入袋子里 变成纯净的可饮用的水 |
migrate:vi.移动;随季节而移居;移往;vt.使移居;使移植; osmosis:n.[物]渗透;[物]渗透性;渗透作用; potable:n.饮料(常复数);adj.适于饮用的; drinking water:n.饮用水;
|
And all of a sudden , this plastic bag was extremely beautiful to me. |
突然这个袋子 变的如此美妙 |
all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
|
Now I'm going to ask you again to switch on the emotional bit. |
我想再次要求你们 用感情体味 |
switch on:n.接通; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
|
Would you mind taking the brain out, and I just want you to feel something. |
暂时抛开思考 我希望你们去感受 |
Look at that. What are you feeling about it? |
看这它 你感觉如何? |
Is it beautiful? Is it exciting? |
它美吗? 令人振奋吗? |
I'm watching your faces very carefully. |
我正仔细观察你们的面部表情 |
There's some rather bored-looking gentlemen and some slightly engaged-looking ladies who are picking up something off that. |
有位先生看上去很无聊 几位稍感兴趣的女士 正在感受到什么 |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
|
Maybe there's an innocence to it. |
也许这个画看上去很童真 |
innocence:n.清白,无罪;天真无邪;
|
Now I'm going to tell you what it is. Are you ready? |
让我告诉你 准备好了吗? |
This is the last act on this Earth of a little girl called Heidi , five years old, before she died of cancer to the spine . |
这是一个叫海蒂的五岁女孩 在因脊椎癌去世之前 的辞世之作 |
Heidi:n.海蒂(Adalheid的昵称); cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
|
It's the last thing she did, the last physical act. |
这是她做的最后一件事 最后一件具体活动 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
|
Look at that picture. |
看看这幅画 |
Look at the innocence. Look at the beauty in it. |
看看其中的童真 看看它的美 |
Is it beautiful now? |
现在它美吗? |
Stop. Stop. How do you feel? |
打住 你感受如何? |
Where are you feeling this? |
你在用什么感受? |
I'm feeling it here. I feel it here. |
我在用这里感受,这里 |
And I'm watching your faces, because your faces are telling me something. |
我观察你们的脸 因为你们的脸能告诉我 |
The lady over there is actually crying, by the way. |
那边一位女士正在哭泣 |
But what are you doing? |
但是你正在做什么呢? |
I watch what people do. |
我观察人们的活动 |
I watch faces. |
我观察面部 |
I watch reactions . |
我观察反应 |
reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数)
|
Because I have to know how people react to things. |
因为我必须知道人们对事物如何反应 |
And one of the most common faces on something faced with beauty, something stupefyingly delicious, is what I call the OMG. |
面对美的 最常见的表情之一 那种面对难以置信的美味时的表情 就是“我的神啊” |
And by the way, there's no pleasure in that face. |
另外,脸上并不是一种愉悦 |
It's not a "this is wonderful!" |
不是“这太棒了” |
The eyebrows are doing this, the eyes are defocused , and the mouth is hanging open. |
眉毛是这样,眼神散乱 嘴唇微张 |
eyebrows:n.眉;眉毛;(eyebrow的复数) defocused:v.离焦;(defocused是defocus的过去式);
|
That's not the expression of joy. |
这不是享受的表情 |
expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
|
There's something else in that. |
有别的什么 |
There's something weird happening. |
某种奇特的东西 |
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
|
So pleasure seems to be tempered by a whole series of different things coming in. |
愉悦混合着 一系列不同的情感 |
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
|
Poignancy is a word I love as a designer. |
作为一个设计师我喜欢Poignancy这个词 |
Poignancy:n.辛辣;强烈;尖锐;辛酸事;
|
It means something triggering a big emotional response, often quite a sad emotional response, but it's part of what we do. |
它指的是某种能引起强烈情感反应的东西 常常是指一种悲伤的反应 但这只是我们反应的一部分 |
triggering:n.[电子]触发;起动;v.引起(trigger的ing形式);扣…的扳机;
|
It isn't just about nice. |
这不仅是美好的 |
And this is the dilemma , this is the paradox , of beauty. |
也是矛盾的似是而非的美 |
dilemma:n.困境;进退两难;两刀论法; paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事;
|
Sensorily, we're taking in all sorts of things -- mixtures of things that are good, bad, exciting, frightening -- to come up with that sensorial exposure, that sensation of what's going on. |
感官上我们感受一切- 所有好的,坏的,兴奋的,惊悚的混合体- 就是在触及感觉的那一刻 我们体味一切 |
mixtures:n.[化学]混合物(mixture的复数);配合料; frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词) come up with:提出;想出;赶上; sensorial:adj.知觉的;感觉的; sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
|
Pathos appears obviously as part of what you just saw in that little girl's drawing. |
情感就是 你刚刚看到小女孩画的一部分 |
Pathos:n.悲怅;痛苦;同情;哀婉动人的词句;
|
And also triumph , this sense of transcendence , this "I never knew that. Ah, this is something new." |
当然胜利感,这种超越的感觉 这种“原来如此,这个很新颖”的感觉 |
triumph:v.战胜;成功;打败;n.巨大成功;重大成就;伟大胜利;喜悦; transcendence:n.超越;卓越;超然存在;
|
And that's packed in there as well. |
这种感觉也混合其中 |
And as we assemble these tools, from a design point of view , I get terribly excited about it, because these are things, as we've already said, they're arriving at the brain, it would seem, before cognition , before we can manipulate them -- electrochemical party tricks. |
当我们把这些不同的情感结合起来 从设计的角度来看我对此十分兴奋 因为这些东西,正如我们已经提及 它们到达大脑 不受成见影响 不受控制 电化学的小把戏 |
assemble:vt.集合,聚集;装配;收集;vi.集合,聚集; point of view:观点;见地;立场; cognition:n.认识;知识;认识能力; manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改; electrochemical:adj.[物化]电化学的;[物化]电气化学的;
|
Now what I'm also interested in is: |
我同时还感兴趣的 |
Is it possible to separate intrinsic and extrinsic beauty? |
是有没有可能分离 内在美和外在美? |
intrinsic:adj.本质的,固有的; extrinsic:adj.外在的;外来的;非固有的;
|
By that, I mean intrinsically beautiful things, just something that's exquisitely beautiful, that's universally beautiful. |
在此内在美是 事物精致的美 毫无置疑的美 |
intrinsically:adv.本质地;内在地;固有地; exquisitely:adv.精致地;精巧地;敏锐地; universally:adv.普遍地;人人;到处;
|
Very hard to find. Maybe you've got some examples of it. |
这非常少见 也许有一些例子 |
Very hard to find something that, to everybody, is a very beautiful thing, without a certain amount of information packed in there before. |
很少有一个事物 对所有人来说 在没有信息背景情况下都认为美的东西 |
So a lot of it tends to be extrinsic. |
所以很多事物都是外在的美 |
It's mediated by information before the comprehension. |
这种美受人们对其所含信息的理解而影响 |
mediated:vt.仲裁,调停;调解(mediate的过去式及过去分词形式);
|
Or the information's added on at the back, like that little girl's drawing that I showed you. |
或者信息增强了美的意义 比如我给你们看的小女孩的画 |
Now when talking about beauty you can't get away from the fact that a lot experiments have been done in this way with faces and what have you. |
当谈论美的时候 你不能否认 很多这样的实验 你们都如此反应 |
And one of the most tedious ones, I think, was saying that beauty was about symmetry . |
我想最无趣的说法之一就是 说对称的就是美的 |
tedious:adj.沉闷的;冗长乏味的; symmetry:n.对称(性);整齐,匀称;
|
Well it obviously isn't. |
显然不是 |
This is a more interesting one where half faces were shown to some people, and then to add them into a list of most beautiful to least beautiful and then exposing a full face . |
这个实验更有趣 给一些人看这半张脸 然后把这个完整的脸 放到从最美到最丑的一系列脸中 给他们看 |
exposing:v.暴露;显露;揭露;揭穿;使面临;(expose的现在分词) full face:adj.正面的;
|
And they found that it was almost exact coincidence . |
结果发现几乎是非常巧合的 |
coincidence:n.巧合,巧事;同时存在;并存;相同;
|
So it wasn't about symmetry. |
这跟对称没关系 |
In fact, this lady has a particularly asymmetrical face, of which both sides are beautiful. |
实际上这位女士的脸并不对称 但两边都很美 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; asymmetrical:adj.[数]非对称的(等于asymmetric);不均匀的;不匀称的;
|
But they're both different. |
但不一样的美 |
And as a designer, I can't help meddling with this, so I pulled it to bits and sort of did stuff like this, and tried to understand what the individual elements were, but feeling it as I go. |
作为一个设计师我忍不住一探究竟 我把图片像这样分割 然后尝试理解各个部分 当我去感受时 |
meddling:v.管闲事;干涉;干预;瞎搞,乱弄(meddle的现在分词) individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
|
Now I can feel a sensation of delight and beauty if I look at that eye. |
看着眼睛的话 我能感受到愉快和美 |
delight:n.高兴;vi.高兴;vt.使高兴;
|
I'm not getting it off the eyebrow. |
看眉毛则不然 |
And the earhole isn't doing it to me at all. |
耳洞也不是 |
So I don't know how much this is helping me, but it's helping to guide me to the places where the signals are coming off. |
我不知道这到底能给我帮上什么忙 但这能帮助我理解 (美的)信号来自哪里 |
And as I say, I'm not a neuroscientist, but to understand how I can start to assemble things that will very quickly bypass this thinking part and get me to the enjoyable precognitive elements. |
如我所说我不是个神经科学家 但通过拆组各个部位 我很快排除了 是思考在作用 而是种享受性的先验的要素在作用 |
enjoyable:adj.快乐的;令人愉快的; precognitive:(对证人等的)预审;预审笔录;
|
Anais Nin and the Talmud have told us time and time again that we see things not as they are, but as we are. |
阿娜依斯?宁和塔木德已经无数次告诉我们 我们看到不是事物的样子而是我们的样子 |
time and time again:一次次;一次又一次;多次;不断地;
|
So I'm going to shamelessly expose something to you, which is beautiful to me. |
我将贸然地给你们看点 对我来说很美的东西 |
shamelessly:adv.不知羞耻地;厚着脸皮地; expose:v.揭露,揭发;使曝光;显示;
|
And this is the F1 MV Agusta. |
这是F1 MV Agusta摩托 |
Ahhhh. |
啊- |
It is really -- I mean, I can't express to you how exquisite this object is. |
它是如此美 我无法向你解释它是多么的精巧 |
But I also know why it's exquisite to me, because it's a palimpsest of things. |
但我知道它为什么对我来说是美的 因为它是各种事物的缩影 |
palimpsest:n.重写本;写在重写本上的;
|
It's masses and masses of layers . |
非常多的层次 |
masses:n.民众;大量(mass的复数);包块;v.集中;聚集(mass的三单形式); layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数)
|
This is just the bit that protrudes into our physical dimension . |
它不仅触及我们生活 |
protrudes:v.突出,伸出(protrude的三单形式); dimension:n.方面;[数]维;尺寸;次元;容积vt.标出尺寸;adj.规格的;
|
It's something much bigger. |
不仅如此 |
Layer after layer of legend , sport, details that resonate . |
每一层都是故事,运动,相互共鸣的细节 |
legend:n.传奇;说明;图例;刻印文字; resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
|
I mean, if I just go through some of them now -- |
如果让我来说明它的话- |
I know about laminar flow when it comes to air-piercing objects, and that does it consummately well, you can see it can. |
我知道层流对快速运动物体的重要性 很显然它极好地处理了这个问题,你可以看出来 |
laminar:adj.层状的;薄片状的;板状的; that does it:我受够了;
|
So that's getting me excited. |
这让我非常兴奋 |
And I feel that here. |
我用这里感受 |
This bit, the big secret of automotive design -- reflection management . |
至于机动车设计的大秘密- 光反射设计 |
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
|
It's not about the shapes, it's how the shapes reflect light. |
外型不是最重要的 而是外形如何反射光线 |
Now that thing, light flickers across it as you move, so it becomes a kinetic object, even though it's standing still -- managed by how brilliantly that's done on the reflection. |
当你移动的时候能看到摩托车上光线流转 这样这就变成一个动力学的物件 尽管它一动不动 但很聪明得它通过光线反射做到了 |
flickers:n.[电子][光]闪烁(flicker的复数); v.闪动(flicker的第三人称单数); kinetic:adj.[力]运动的;活跃的; brilliantly:adv.灿烂地;辉煌地;光亮地;
|
This little relief on the footplate , by the way, to a rider means there's something going on underneath it -- in this case, a drive chain running at 300 miles and hour probably, taking the power from the engine. |
这个供驾驶者使用的踏脚的敞开式设计 指示其背后的秘密- 这里,它的链条在引擎支持下 大概每小时跑上300公里 |
relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕; footplate:n.踏板;踏板的; rider:n.骑手;附文;扶手; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
|
I'm getting terribly excited as my mind and my eyes flick across these things. |
当我看到它想到这些 我就变的极度兴奋 |
Titanium lacquer on this. |
它覆盖着钛金属漆 |
Titanium:n.[化学]钛(金属元素); lacquer:vt.涂漆;使表面光泽;n.漆;漆器;
|
I can't tell you how wonderful this is. |
我无法形容这部分有多美妙 |
That's how you stop the nuts coming off at high speed on the wheel. |
因为这能防止车轮上的螺丝在高速运转中掉下来 |
I'm really getting into this now. |
我对此非常入迷 |
And of course, a racing bike doesn't have a prop stand, but this one, because it's a road bike, it all goes away and it folds into this little gap . |
当然比赛用摩托没有支架 但是这是个日用摩托 它的支架可以折进这个小缝里 |
prop:n.道具;支柱;支持者;后盾;v.支撑; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
|
So it disappears . |
这样支架消失了 |
disappears:v.消失;不见;消亡;失踪;丢失;(disappear的第三人称单数)
|
And then I can't tell you how hard it is to do that radiator , which is curved . |
而这个弯曲的散热器,你不知道有多难制造 |
radiator:n.散热器;暖气片;辐射体; curved:adj.呈弯曲状的; v.(使)沿曲线运动;
|
Why would you do that? |
为什么要这么做呢? |
Because I know we need to bring the wheel farther into the aerodynamics . |
因为我们想让车轮的空气动力学性能更好 |
aerodynamics:n.[流]气体力学;[航]航空动力学;
|
So it's more expensive, but it's wonderful. |
虽然这样造价高但性能更棒 |
And to cap it all, brand royalty -- |
一言以蔽之 品牌忠诚度- |
brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印; royalty:n.皇室;版税;王权;专利税;
|
Agusta, Count Agusta, from the great histories of this stuff. |
Agusta 它伟大历史来自于这一切 |
The bit that you can't see is the genius that created this. |
只是你们无法见到这位天才设计者 |
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
|
Massimo Tamburini. |
Massimo Tamburini |
They call him "The Plumber " in Italy, as well as " Maestro ," |
在意大利他被称为“水管工” 和“大师” |
Plumber:n.水管工;堵漏人员; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; Maestro:n.大师;名家;大音乐家;
|
because he actually is engineer and craftsman and sculptor at the same time . |
因为他是工程师 同时也是手艺人和雕塑家 |
craftsman:n.工匠;手艺人;技工; sculptor:n.雕刻家; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
There's so little compromise on this, you can't see it. |
这几种身分相互并不大兼容 |
compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险;
|
But unfortunately , the likes of me and people that are like me have to deal with compromise all the time with beauty. |
但是我们这样的人往往不得不 向美妥协 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
We have to deal with it. |
我们不得不这样 |
So I have to work with a supply chain , and I've got to work with the technologies , and I've got to work with everything else all the time, and so compromises start to fit into it. |
所以我得寻找供应链,得和技术部分合作 不断和其他的东西打交道 这样一来就得不断妥协 |
supply chain:n.供应链; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); compromises:n.妥协; v.妥协;
|
And so look at her. |
看看她 |
I've had to make a bit of a compromise there. |
我也得做点小妥协 |
I've had to move that part across, but only a millimeter . |
我把那部分只移动了一毫米 |
millimeter:n.毫米;
|
No one's noticed, have they yet? |
没人注意吧? |
Did you see what I did? |
看我怎么做的吗? |
I moved three things by a millimeter. |
我把三个部位各移动了一毫米 |
Pretty? Yes. |
漂亮吧 |
Beautiful? Maybe lesser . |
美吗?可能不那么美了 |
lesser:adj.较少的;次要的;更小的;adv.较少地;更小地;不及;
|
But then, of course, the consumer says that doesn't really matter. |
当然消费者会说这个无妨 |
consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者;
|
So that's okay, isn't it? |
这样没关系,是不是? |
Another millimeter? |
再移一毫米呢? |
No one's going to notice those split lines and changes. |
没人会注意这些切线和变化 |
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
|
It's that easy to lose beauty, because beauty's incredibly difficult to do. |
美是如此容易消逝 因为获得美是很难的 |
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
|
And only a few people can do it. |
只有几个人能做到 |
And a focus group cannot do it. |
一个集中小组不行 |
focus group:n.民意调查:
|
And a team rarely can do it. |
一个团队几乎不能做到 |
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
|
It takes a central cortex, if you like, to be able to orchestrate all those elements at the same time. |
只有一个大脑皮层 能让各种因素同时和谐共鸣 |
orchestrate:v.编配(或创作管弦乐曲);精心安排;策划;密谋;
|
This is a beautiful water bottle -- some of you know of it -- done by Ross Lovegrove, the designer. |
这是美丽的水瓶 有人知道这个- 设计师Ross Lovegrove的作品 |
This is pretty close to intrinsic beauty. This one, as long as you know what water is like then you can experience this. |
这个很接近内在美 只要你知道什么是水 你就能感受它 |
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
|
It's lovely because it is an embodiment of something refreshing and delicious. |
它美是因为它装着 清爽可口的东西 |
embodiment:n.体现;化身;具体化;
|
I might like it more than you like it, because I know how bloody hard it is to do it. |
我可能比你们更喜欢它 因为我知道创造它有多难 |
bloody:adj.血腥的;血淋淋的;v.血染;
|
It's stupefyingly difficult to make something that refracts light like that, that comes out of the tool correctly, that goes down the line without falling over. |
想要做出个具有那样折射度的物体 是令人难以置信的难 它需要适当的工具 和精确地操作它的线型 |
refracts:vt.使折射;
|
Underneath this, like the story of the swan , is a million things very difficult to do. |
这背后是像天鹅的故事一样 无数的困难 |
swan:n.天鹅;天鹅星座;vi.游荡,闲荡;
|
So all hail to that. |
所以说 |
hail:n.冰雹; v.致敬;
|
It's a fantastic example, a simple object. |
这是个神奇的例子,一个简单的物体 |
And the one I showed you before was, of course, a massively complex one. |
之前看到的那个摩托是个复杂的物体 |
massively:adv.大量地;沉重地;庄严地; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
|
And they're working in beauty in slightly different ways because of it. |
因此它们以略微不同的方式 体现了美 |
You all, I guess, like me, enjoy watching a ballet dancer dance. |
我想你们都和我一样 热爱欣赏芭蕾舞 |
ballet:n.芭蕾舞;芭蕾舞团;芭蕾舞剧;
|
And part of the joy of it is, you know the difficulty. |
一部分愉悦感是因为深知其不易 |
You also may be taking into account the fact that it's incredibly painful . |
可能你也会考虑到其饱含的痛苦 |
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
|
Anybody seen a ballet dancer's toes when they come out of the points? |
有人曾见过 芭蕾舞者的脚尖吗? |
toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
|
While she's doing these graceful arabesques and plies and what have you, something horrible's going on down here. |
当她做着优雅的舞姿时 你能想像脚上是情形吗 |
graceful:adj.优雅的;优美的; arabesques:n.阿拉贝斯克(果戈里的中篇小说);华丽曲; plies:n.板层;厚度;积层数(ply的复数);v.使胶合;弯(ply的三单形式);
|
The comprehension of it leads us to a greater and heightened sense of the beauty of what's actually going on. |
对这痛苦的理解 让我们对真实的情况 有更高更清楚的理解 |
heightened:v.(使)加强,提高,增加;(heighten的过去式和过去分词)
|
Now I'm using microseconds wrongly here, so please ignore me. |
微秒用在这不太恰当 所以不用管我刚刚说了什么 |
microseconds:n.微秒(microsecond的复数); wrongly:adv.错误地;不恰当地;不公正地; ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
|
But what I have to do now, feeling again, what I've got to do is to be able to supply enough of these enzymes , of these triggers into something early on in the process , that you pick it up, not through your thinking, but through your feeling. |
现在我要做的 是提供足够的刺激 能产生审美过程初期的情感 你通过感觉而不是思维 去感受体会它 |
enzymes:n.[生化]酶(enzyme的复数);酶类,酵素; triggers:n.[电子]触发器;触发物(trigger的复数);v.引起(trigger的单三形式);引爆; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
So we're going to have a little experiment. |
现在我们做个小实验 |
Right, are you ready? I'm going to show you something for a very, very brief moment. |
准备好了吗?你们将在极短时间内看到一个物体 |
Are you ready? Okay. |
准备好了吗? |
Did you think that was a bicycle when I showed it to you at the first flash ? |
第一眼看到它你觉得这是个自行车吗? |
flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的;
|
It's not. |
它不是 |
Tell me something, did you think it was quick when you first saw it? Yes you did. |
那你觉得头一眼看它太快了吗?肯定是的 |
Did you think it was modern? Yes you did. |
你觉得它很现代吗?是的 |
That blip , that information, shot into you before that. |
这一瞬间你获得了这个信息 |
blip:n.(在雷达屏幕显示出的)物体光点;
|
And because your brain starter motor began there, now it's got to deal with it. |
因为你的大脑那一刻开始运转 那么现在我们来细看一下 |
starter:n.起动机;发令员;第一道菜;发射装置;发起者;参加比赛者,上场队员;
|
And the great thing is, this motorcycle has been styled this way specifically to engender a sense that it's green technology and it's good for you and it's light and it's all part of the future. |
这个摩托车被特意设计成这种风格 以传达其 绿色科技和有益人类的概念 它很轻 很有未来感 |
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; engender:vt.使产生;造成;vi.产生;引起; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
So is that wrong? |
这有错吗? |
Well in this case it isn't, because it's a very, very ecologically-sound piece of technology. |
这个情况下并没错 因为这是个非常生态友好的科技 |
But you're a slave of that first flash. |
但是你是第一眼做主 |
We are slaves to the first few fractions of a second -- and that's where much of my work has to win or lose, on a shelf in a shop. |
初次印象决定了我们的思考 这就是决定我的作品 市场销售的 成败所在 |
fractions:n.[数]分数;小部分,片段(fraction的复数);
|
It wins or loses at that point. |
就在那一瞬间定输赢 |
You may see 50, 100, 200 things on a shelf as you walk down it, but I have to work within that domain , to ensure that it gets you there first. |
一个货架上你也许会看到 五十,一百,两百件物品 但是我得保证 第一眼就抓住你 |
domain:n.领域;域名;产业;地产; ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
|
And finally , the layer that I love, of knowledge. |
最后,是我热爱的知识的层次 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Some of you, I'm sure, will be familiar with this. |
肯定有人会觉得熟悉 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
What's incredible about this, and the way I love to come back to it, is this is taking something that you hate or bores you, folding clothes, and if you can actually do this -- who can actually do this? Anybody try to do this? |
它的神奇之处 也是 叠衣服这样 无聊的事 如果你这样做的话 有人会吗?有人试过? |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; bores:v.[机]钻孔;在…挖洞(bore的三单形式);n.[机]孔;[机]内径(bore的复数);
|
Yeah? |
试过? |
It's fantastic, isn't it? |
很神奇吧? |
Look at that. Do you want to see it again? |
想在看一遍吗? |
No time. It says I have two minutes left, so we can't do this. |
没时间了,我还有2分钟 |
But just go to the Web, YouTube, pull it down, "folding T-shirt." |
那就去YouTube上看吧 找一下 folding T-shirt |
That's how underpaid younger-aged people have to fold your T-shirt. |
这是薪资低下的年轻工人给你叠T恤的办法 |
underpaid:adj.所得报酬过低的;v.[会计]未足额支付(underpay的过去分词); fold:v.折叠;包;可叠平(以便贮存或携带);裹;n.褶;褶层;折叠部分;褶痕;
|
You didn't maybe know it. |
也许你不知道 |
But how do you feel about it? |
但你感觉如何? |
It feels fantastic when you do it, you look forward to doing it, and when you tell somebody else about it -- like you probably have -- you look really smart. |
做的时候感觉很爽,你也很想一试 要是告诉别人的话-可能你已经这么做过了- 就显得很聪明 |
look forward to:盼望,期待;
|
The knowledge bubble that sits around the outside, the stuff that costs nothing, because that knowledge is free -- bundle that together and where do we come out? |
知识到处都是 知识不用花钱 因为知识是免费的- 综上所述我们得到什么结论呢? |
bubble:n.泡;气泡;肥皂泡;一点感情;v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情); bundle:n.包; v.匆匆送走; (成群地)匆忙赶往;
|
Form follows function? |
功能决定形态? |
Only sometimes. Only sometimes. |
只有有些时候是的 |
Form is function. Form is function. |
形态就是功能 |
It informs , it tells us, it supplies us answers before we've even thought about it. |
这给了我们 一个前所未有的答案 |
informs:v.通知:通告:了解:熟悉(inform的第三人称单数))
|
And so I've stopped using words like "form," |
作为设计师 |
and I've stopped using words like "function" as a designer. |
我不再使用“形态”和“功能”这样的词 |
What I try to pursue now is the emotional functionality of things. |
我追求的是 事物的感官功能性 |
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; functionality:n.功能;[数]泛函性,函数性;
|
Because if I can get that right, |
如果能做到这一点 |
I can make them wonderful, and I can make them repeatedly wonderful. |
我就能不断创造出美妙的东西 |
repeatedly:adv.反复地;再三地;屡次地;
|
And you know what those products and services are, because you own some of them. |
你们知道那样的产品服务 因为你们就有 |
They're the things that you'd snatch if the house was on fire. |
那些是你家失火的时候会抢出来的东西 |
snatch:n.抢夺;抓举;小量;vt.夺得;抽空做;及时救助;vi.抢走;很快接受;
|
Forming the emotional bond between this thing and you is an electrochemical party trick that happens before you even think about it. |
事物与你之间 感情联结的形成 是种电气化学效果 它在你意识到之前就发生了 |
Thank you very much. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |