|
|
RicElias_2011U-_坠机让我学到的三件事_
|
Imagine a big explosion as you climb through 3,000 ft. |
想像一个大爆炸 当你在三千多呎的高空 |
explosion:n.爆炸;爆发;激增;
|
Imagine a plane full of smoke. |
想像机舱内布满黑烟 |
Imagine an engine going clack , clack , clack , clack , clack , clack , clack. |
想像引擎发出喀啦,喀啦, 喀啦,喀啦,喀啦的声响 |
clack:vi.噼啪响;唠唠叨叨讲;n.噼啪响;哔剥声;
|
It sounds scary. |
这声响很可怕 |
Well I had a unique seat that day. I was sitting in 1D. |
那天我的位置很特别,我坐在1D |
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
|
I was the only one who could talk to the flight attendants . |
我是唯一可以和空服员说话的人 |
attendants:n.服务员;侍者,众侍从(attendant的复数);
|
So I looked at them right away , and they said, "No problem. We probably hit some birds." |
于是我看着他们 他们说“没问题,我们应该只是撞上鸟了。” |
right away:立刻;
|
The pilot had already turned the plane around, and we weren't that far. |
机长已经把机头转向 我们离目的地很近 |
You could see Manhattan. |
已经可以看到曼哈顿了 |
Two minutes later, three things happened at the same time . |
两分钟以后 三件事情同时发生 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
The pilot lines up the plane with the Hudson River. |
机长把飞机对齐哈德逊河 |
Hudson:n.哈得孙河;
|
That's usually not the route . |
一般的航道可不是这样 |
route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
He turns off the engines. |
他关上引擎 |
Now imagine being in a plane with no sound. |
想像一台没有声音的飞机 |
And then he says three words -- the most unemotional three words I've ever heard. |
然后他说了几个字 我听过最不带情绪的几个字 |
unemotional:adj.不易动感情的;非感情的;无动于衷的;
|
He says, " Brace for impact ." |
他说“即将迫降,小心冲击” |
Brace:n.箍子;夹子;支架;牙箍;背带;大括弧;一对;v.使作准备;使防备;顶住,抵住 impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
I didn't have to talk to the flight attendant anymore. |
我不用再问空服员什么了 |
flight attendant:n.空中乘务员;机上乘务员;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I could see in her eyes, it was terror. Life was over. |
我可以从她的眼神看到恐惧 人生结束了 |
Now I want to share with you three things I learned about myself that day. |
现在我想和你分享那天我所学到的三件事 |
I learned that it all changes in an instant . |
瞬间内一切改变了 |
in an instant:瞬间;马上;
|
We have this bucket list , we have these things we want to do in life, and I thought about all the people I wanted to reach out to that I didn't, all the fences I wanted to mend , all the experiences I wanted to have and I never did. |
我们的人生目标清单 那些我们想做的事 所有那些我想连络却没有连络的??人 那些我应该修补的围墙,人际关系 所有我想要经历却没有经历的事 |
bucket list:遗愿清单(电影名); mend:v.修理;修补;缝补;织补;愈合;n.修补;好转;痊愈
|
As I thought about that later on, |
之后我回想那些事 |
I came up with a saying, which is, "I collect bad wines." |
我想到一个说法 那就是“我收藏的酒都很差” |
Because if the wine is ready and the person is there, I'm opening it. |
因为如果酒已成熟,对象也有,我早就把酒打开了 |
I no longer want to postpone anything in life. |
我不想再把任何事延后 |
postpone:v.延期;延迟;展缓;
|
And that urgency , that purpose, has really changed my life. |
这种急迫的目的性 改变了我的生命 |
urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事;
|
The second thing I learned that day -- and this is as we clear the George Washington Bridge, which was by not a lot -- |
我所学到的第二件事是 正当我们通过乔治华盛顿大桥 那也没过多久 |
I thought about, wow, |
我想,哇 |
I really feel one real regret. |
我只有一件真正后悔的事 |
I've lived a good life. |
虽然我犯了些错 |
In my own humanity and mistakes, |
但我的生命其实不错 |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
I've tried to get better at everything I tried. |
我试着把每件事做得更好 |
But in my humanity, |
但因为人性 |
I also allow my ego to get in. |
我难免有些自我中心 |
ego:n.自我;自负;自我意识;
|
And I regretted the time I wasted on things that did not matter with people that matter. |
我后悔竟然花了许多时间 和生命中重要的人 讨论那些不重要的事 |
And I thought about my relationship with my wife, with my friends, with people. |
我想到我和妻子,和朋友 和人们的关系 |
And after, as I reflected on that, |
之后,我回想这件事 |
reflected:adj.反射的;得自他人的;v.反射;思考;(reflect的过去式和过去分词)
|
I decided to eliminate negative energy from my life. |
我决定除掉我人生中的负面情绪 |
eliminate:v.消除;排除; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
|
It's not perfect, but it's a lot better. |
还没完全做到,但好多了 |
I've not had a fight with my wife in two years. |
过去两年我从未和妻子吵架 |
It feels great. |
感觉很好 |
I no longer try to be right; |
我不再尝试争论对错 |
I choose to be happy. |
我选择快乐 |
The third thing I learned -- and this is as your mental clock starts going, "15, 14, 13." |
我所学到的第三件事 当你脑中的时钟开始倒数 “15,14,13” |
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者;
|
You can see the water coming. |
看到旁边的水位开始上升 |
I'm saying, "Please blow up." |
心想“拜托爆炸吧” |
I don't want this thing to break in 20 pieces like you've seen in those documentaries. |
我不想这个东西碎成20片 像纪录片里那样 |
And as we're coming down, |
当我们逐渐下沉 |
I had a sense of, wow, dying is not scary. |
我突然感觉到,哇 死并不可怕 |
It's almost like we've been preparing for it our whole lives. |
就像是我们一直在为此做准备 |
But it was very sad. |
但很令人悲伤 |
I didn't want to go; I love my life. |
我不想就这样离开,我热爱我的生命 |
And that sadness really framed in one thought, which is, I only wish for one thing . |
这个悲伤 的主要来源是 我只期待一件事 |
framed:v.给…做框;给…镶边;制订;拟订;(frame的过去分词和过去式) for one thing:首先;一则;
|
I only wish I could see my kids grow up. |
我希望我能够看我的孩子长大 |
About a month later, I was at a performance by my daughter -- first-grader, not much artistic talent ... |
一个月以后,我参加女儿的表演 - 她一年级,没什么艺术天份?? |
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; artistic:adj.艺术的;风雅的;有美感的;
|
... yet. |
??就算如此 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I'm balling, I'm crying, like a little kid. |
我泪流满面 像个孩子 |
And it made all the sense in the world to me. |
让我的世界重新有了意义 |
I realized at that point, by connecting those two dots, that the only thing that matters in my life is being a great dad. |
当时我意识到 把这两个事件连上 其实我生命中唯一重要的事 就是成为一个好父亲 |
Above all, above all, the only goal I have in life is to be a good dad. |
比任何事情都重要 我人生中唯一的目标 就是做个好父亲 |
I was given the gift of a miracle , of not dying that day. |
那天我经历了一个神迹 我活下来了 |
miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
|
I was given another gift, which was to be able to see into the future and come back and live differently. |
同时我得到另一个启示 像是看见自己的未来 再回来 改变自己的人生 |
I challenge you guys that are flying today, imagine the same thing happens on your plane -- and please don't -- but imagine, and how would you change? |
我鼓励今天要坐飞机的各位 想像若是一样的事发生在你身上 - 最好不要 - 但想像,你会如何改变? |
What would you get done that you're waiting to get done because you think you'll be here forever? |
有什么是你想做却没做的 因为你觉得你会有其它机会做它? |
How would you change your relationships and the negative energy in them? |
你会如何??改变你的人际关系 不再如此负面? |
And more than anything, are you being the best parent you can? |
最重要的是,你是否尽力成为一个好的父母? |
Thank you. |
谢谢各位。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |