返回首页

RennyGleeson_2012U-_“404_找不到页面”的故事_

So what I want to try to do is tell a quick story about a 404 page and a lesson that was learned as a result of it. 今天我想给大家讲个关于“找不到的404页面” 的小故事,以及从中我们所学到的经验和教训
as a result:结果;
But to start it probably helps to have an understanding of what a 404 page actually is. 但在开始之前,我们最好先来了解一下 到底什么是404页面
The 404 page is that. 这就是404页面
It's that broken experience on the Web. 它是在浏览网页时让人很崩溃的一种体验
It's effectively the default page when you ask a website for something and it can't find it. 它是当你点击某网页 却无法找到时
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
And it serves you the 404 page. 所显示的默认页面
It's inherently a feeling of being broken when you go through it. 404页面很容易让人感到崩溃
inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地;
And I just want you to think a little bit about, remember for yourself, it's annoying when you hit this thing. 大家回想一下,当你点出一个 404页面时,心里那种烦躁
annoying:adj.烦人的;使生气的;使烦恼的;v.使生气;打扰;骚扰;(annoy的现在分词)
Because it's the feeling of a broken relationship. 就像被女朋友甩了一样那么不爽
And that's where it's actually also interesting to think about, where does 404 come from? 但这里同时也有一个很有意思的问题值得我们去思考 404页面究竟是从哪里来的?
It's from a family of errors actually -- a whole set of relationship errors, which, when I started digging into them, it looks almost like a checklist for a sex therapist or a couples couselor. 事实上它只是一系列错误代码中的一个 这里还有好多其他错误代码 当我仔细研究过之后 我发现它们就好像是性功能障碍治疗医师的检查单一样
checklist:n.清单;检查表;备忘录;目录册; therapist:n.临床医学家;治疗学家;
You sort of get down there to the bottom and things get really dicey . 一条一条越往下看,越是奇形怪状
dicey:adj.不确定的;冒险性的;认命的;危险的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes. 是的
But these things are everywhere. 但这些错误在网络上比比皆是
They're on sites big, they're on sites small. 大网站上也有,小网站上也有
sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
This is a global experience. 全球各地无不是如此
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
What a 404 page tells you is that you fell through the cracks . 404页面想告诉你的就是 “这儿没有你想要的”
cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数)
And that's not a good experience when you're used to experiences like this. 这可不是什么好的体验 你本来感觉是这样的
You can get on your Kinect and you can have unicorns dancing and rainbows spraying out of your mobile phone . 周围美景如画 有独角兽在跳舞 天上有彩虹
unicorns:n.独角兽(unicorn的复数); rainbows:n.虹;彩虹;(rainbow的复数) spraying:v.喷;喷洒;向…扫射(或抛洒);撒尿(以示领地占有);(spray的现在分词) mobile phone:移动电话
A 404 page is not what you're looking for. 这个时候突然冒出来一个404页面
You get that, and it's like a slap in the face . 感觉就像突然被人啪的甩了一耳光似的
a slap in the face:脸上挨了一耳光;耳光;
Trying to think about how a 404 felt, and it would be like if you went to Starbucks and there's the guy behind the counter and you're over there and there's no skim milk. 试想一下当你遇到404页面时是什么感觉? 就好像你走进星巴克买咖啡 柜台后面站着个小伙子 你想买黑咖啡却没有
Starbucks:n.星巴克(咖啡店名); skim:v.浏览; n.撇去浮沫; adj.撇去奶油的;
And you say, "Hey, could you bring the skim milk?" 你就问他:“能给我一杯黑咖啡吗?”
And they walk out from behind the counter and they've got no pants on. 小伙子从柜台里走出来,结果你发现他没穿裤子!
And you're like, "Oh, I didn't want to see that." 这时你的感觉肯定是:“妈呀,我可不想看这个!”
That's the 404 feeling. 这就和你遇到404页面时是一样的感觉吧?
(Laughter) (笑声)
I mean, I've heard about that. 还真的有人跟我这么形容过
So where this comes into play and why this is important is I head up a technology incubator , and we had eight startups sitting around there. 于是乎,404页面的重要性就在这里体现出来了 我曾经领导过一个科技培训孵化小组 那时组里有八个刚创业的公司
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; incubator:n.[禽]孵卵器;[儿科]保温箱;早产儿保育器;细菌培养器; startups:n.创业(startup的复数);开办;
And those startups are focused on what they are, not what they're not, until one day Athletepath, which is a website that focuses on services for extreme athletes , found this video. 他们工作的重点在于找到“他们在做什么”,而非“他们不是什么” 直到有一天 “运动之路”,一个专为极限运动员而开设的网站 发现了这样一个视频
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式);
(Video) Guy: Joey! (画内音)男声:乔伊!
Crowd: Whoa! 观众:噢!
Renny Gleeson: You just ... no, he's not okay. 噢,他看起来不太好
They took that video and they embedded it in their 404 page and it was like a light bulb went off for everybody in the place. 他们把这个视频嵌入了网站的404页面里 这个举动让所有人眼前一亮
embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式); light bulb:n.灯泡;
Because finally there was a page that actually felt like what it felt like to hit a 404. 因为终于有了一个页面 让人真真切切地感受到了点出404页面时的那种感觉
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (鼓掌)
So this turned into a contest. 关于404页面的比赛就此展开
Dailypath that offers inspiration put inspiration on their 404 page. 给人们提供灵感的“Dailypath”网站 在他们的404页面上放上了名人名言
Stayhound, which helps you find pet sitters through your social network, commiserated with your pet. 帮人寻找宠物寄养的“Stayhound”网站 则用萌宠的照片来表示对你的同情
sitters:n.代人临时看管小孩的人;当模特儿的人;坐着的人; commiserated:vt.同情,怜悯;vi.同情,怜悯;吊慰;
Each one of them found this. 这八个初创网页服务公司在24小时之内
It turned into a 24-hour contest. 纷纷加入这场竞赛
At 4:04 the next day, we gave out $404 in cash. 到第二天早上的4:04分,我们送出了404块现金
And what they learned was that those little things, done right, actually matter, and that well-designed moments can build brands . 在这个项目中他们所学到的经验就是 无论多小的事情,只要做对了,就能产生极大的功效 那些经过精心计划的细节很容易产生品牌效应
well-designed:adj.精心设计的;设计巧妙的; brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数);
So you take a look out in the real world, and the fun thing is you can actually hack these yourself. 最有意思的是 你甚至还可以创造你自己的404页面
hack:n.砍; v.砍; adj.出租的;
You can type in an URL and put in a 404 and these will pop. 只要将URL链接进去就行了
This is one that commiserates with you. 看,这一个是在同情你
This is one that blames you. 这一个是在怪你
This is one that I loved. 这个页面我非常喜欢
This is an error page, but what if this error page was also an opportunity? 这虽然是一个错误页面 但在错误中蕴含着机会又有何不可?
what if:如果…怎么办?
So it was a moment in time where all of these startups had to sit and think and got really excited about what they could be. 所以在那个时候 所有的这些创业新生儿都陷入了思考 并对他们所可以成就的未来而感到非常兴奋
Because back to the whole relationship issue , what they figured out through this exercise was that a simple mistake can tell me what you're not, or it can remind me of why I should love you. 回到最初那个谈恋爱的比喻 通过这个小练习,他们所认识到的是 一个小错误可以告诉我你的弱点 同样也可以提醒我,我为什么爱你
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)