|
|
RebeccaKnill_2020S-_科技是怎样改变听障人群的生活的_-
|
My name is Rebecca, and I'm a cyborg . |
我的名字是丽贝卡, 我是个赛博格(改造人)。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Specifically , I have 32 computer chips inside my head, which rebuild my sense of hearing. |
确切地说,在我的脑袋里 有 32 个电脑芯片, 用来重建我的听觉。 |
This is called a cochlear implant . |
这被称作人工耳蜗。 |
You remember the Borg from Star Trek , those aliens who conquered and absorbed everything in sight? |
你们都记得《星际迷航》中的 博格人(半活体半机械的生化人)吧, 那些外星人征服 并同化了一切生灵。[00:28] |
cyborg:abbr.(部分机能由各种电子或电机装置代替的)半机械人; Specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; chips:炸土豆条(chip的复数) cochlear:adj.耳蜗的; implant:vt.种植;灌输;嵌入;n.[医]植入物;植入管;vi.被移植; Trek:v.长途跋涉;远足,徒步旅行;n.长途跋涉(尤指在山区); conquered:v.攻克;征服;击败,战胜;控制;(conquer的过去分词和过去式) absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式)
|
Well, that's me. |
嗯,那就是我。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
The good news is I come for your technology and not for your human life-forms . |
好消息是,我想要的 是你们的科技 而不是你们的生命形态。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Actually, I've never seen an episode of Star Trek. |
事实上,我一集 《星际迷航》都没看过。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But there's a reason for that: television wasn't closed-captioned when I was a kid. |
这是有原因的: 当我还小的时候, 电视上还没有字幕。[00:51] |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; life-forms:n.生物; episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集; closed-captioned:adj.闭路字幕的(用解码器才能阅读);
|
I grew up profoundly deaf. |
我从小就严重失聪了。 |
I went to regular schools, and I had to lip-read . |
我去普通的学校上学, 但是得观唇辨意。 |
I didn't meet another deaf person until I was 20. |
直到我 20 岁时 才遇到另一个耳聋的人。 |
Electronics were mostly audio back then. |
当时的电子设备几乎 还都是以声音为主的。 |
profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地; lip-read:vt.唇读;信赖;vi.唇读; Electronics:n.电子学;电子工业; audio:adj.声音的;录音的;
|
My alarm clock was my sister Barbara, who would set her alarm and then throw something at me to wake up. |
我的闹钟是我的姐姐芭芭拉, 她会设好她的闹钟, 然后朝我扔东西把我弄醒。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
My hearing aids were industrial-strength , sledgehammer volume , but they helped me more than they helped most people. |
我的助听装置是工业标准的, 音量震耳欲聋, 但是它们对我的帮助 比对其他人的帮助更大。 |
With them, I could hear music and the sound of my own voice. |
有了它们,我能听到 音乐和自己的声音。 |
alarm clock:n.闹钟; industrial-strength:n.工业强度;工业级;adj.强有力的;优质的;厚重耐用的; sledgehammer:adj.手下不留情的;强力的;vt.用大锤打;猛力打;n.大锤;猛烈的打击; volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本
|
I've always liked the idea that technology can help make the world more human. |
我一直喜欢“科技可以让世界 变得更人性化”这个想法。 |
I used to watch the stereo flash color when the music shifted , and I knew it was just a matter of time before my watch could show me sound, too. |
我以前会看着立体声音响 在音乐变化时闪烁颜色, 我知道我的手表迟早也能 通过类似的方式“发出声音”。 |
Did you know that hearing occurs in the brain? |
你们知道听觉产生于大脑吗? |
In your ear is a small organ called the cochlea, and the cochlea is lined with thousands of receptors called hair cells. |
在你们的耳朵里有个 很小的器官,叫做耳蜗, 耳蜗内排列着几千个 感受器,被称为毛细胞。 |
stereo:n.立体声;立体声音响;adj.立体(声)的; flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的; shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); occurs:v.重现(occur的第三人称单数); organ:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴;管风琴;嗓音; receptors:n.[生化]受体;接受器;神经末梢(receptor的复数);
|
When sound enters your ear, those hair cells, they send electric signals to your brain, and your brain then interprets that as sound. |
当声音进入你的耳朵时, 这些毛细胞就会把 电信号传送到你的大脑, 然后大脑会将这些 电信号转译成声音。 |
Hair-cell damage is really common: noise exposure , ordinary aging, illness. |
毛细胞损坏很常见: 过量的噪音,正常衰老, 疾病都会导致毛细胞损坏。 |
My hair cells were damaged before I was even born. |
我的毛细胞甚至 在我出生前就损坏了。 |
My mother was exposed to German measles when she was pregnant with me. |
我母亲怀我的时候得了风疹。 |
electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; interprets:解释;作口译; exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临; exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) German measles:n.德国麻疹;风疹; pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
|
About five percent of the world has significant hearing loss. |
全世界大约有 5% 的人 都有严重的听力丧失问题。 |
By 2050, that's expected to double to over 900 million people, or one in 10. |
到了 2050 年,这个人数 将翻倍至超过 9 亿人, 即十分之一的几率。 |
For seniors , it's already one out of three. |
对于老年人来说,听觉受损 的几率已经是三分之一。 |
With a cochlear implant, computer chips do the job for the damaged hair cells. |
有了人工耳蜗, 电脑芯片就会代替 受损的耳毛细胞。 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; seniors:n.年长者,老年人;资历较深的人(senior的复数形式);
|
Imagine a box of 16 crayons, and those 16 crayons, in combination , have to make all of the colors in the universe. |
想象有 16 支彩色蜡笔, 这 16 支蜡笔组合起来, 要负责生成宇宙中所有的颜色。 |
Same with the cochlear implant. |
人工耳蜗的原理与之类似。 |
I have 16 electrodes in each of my cochleas . |
在我的每个耳蜗中 都有 16 个电极。 |
Those 16 electrodes, in combination, send signals to my brain, representing all of the sounds in the universe. |
这 16 个电极组合起来, 向我的大脑传输信号, 模拟出宇宙中所有种类的声响。 |
combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; electrodes:n.[电]电极(electrode的复数);电焊条; cochleas:n.蜗;卷荚;(cochlea的复数) representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词)
|
I have electronics inside and outside of my head to make that happen, including a small processor , magnets inside my skull and a rechargeable power source . |
我的大脑内外都有电子设备 以实现这一点, 其中包括一个小型处理器, 即安装在颅骨内的一组磁铁, 和一个可充电的电源。 |
Radio waves transmit sound through the magnets. |
无线电波通过这些磁铁传送声音。 |
The number one question that I get about the cochlear implant when people hear about the magnets is whether my head sticks to the refrigerator. |
当人们听说人工耳蜗 会用到磁铁的时候, 问我最多的一个问题就是: 我的头会不会被吸到冰箱上去。 |
processor:n.[计]处理器;处理程序;加工者; magnets:n.磁铁;磁石;吸铁石;有吸引力的人(或地方、事物);(magnet的复数) skull:n.头盖骨,脑壳; rechargeable:adj.可再充电的;收费的; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; transmit:v.传送;发射;播送;传播;传染;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No, it does not. |
不,并不会。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you, thank you. |
谢谢,谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I know this, because I tried. |
我知道,因为我试过。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Hearing people assume that the Deaf live in a perpetual state of wanting to hear, because they can't imagine any other way. |
听力正常的人 往往以为耳聋的人 处于一种永无止境的 对听觉的渴求, 因为他们也想不到 除此之外还能怎样了。 |
But I've never once wished to be hearing. |
但我从没有过 哪怕一次希望能听见。 |
I just wanted to be part of a community like me. |
我只想处于一个 与我情况类似的社群中。 |
I wanted everyone else to be deaf. |
我希望大家都听不见。 |
I think that sense of belonging is what ultimately connects our stories, and mine felt incomplete . |
我认为归属感才能最终 连接起大家的故事, 而我没有这种归属感。[04:17] |
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; perpetual:adj.永久的;不断的;四季开花的;无期限的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; incomplete:n.未完成;adj.不完整的;不完全的;不完善的;
|
When cochlear implants first got going, back in the '80s, the operation was Frankenstein-monster scary. |
人造耳蜗最开始投入使用 是在 80 年代, 手术过程就像弗兰肯斯坦 (科学怪人)造怪物一样恐怖。 |
By 2001, the procedure had evolved considerably , but it still wiped out any natural hearing that you had. |
到了 2001 年,手术过程 得到了很大的改进, 但它还是会抹去 你原有的全部听觉。 |
The success rate then for speech comprehension was low, maybe 50 percent. |
那时人造耳蜗对于 理解语言的成功率还很低, 大概只有 50%。 |
implants:n.移植物;埋植剂(implant的复数);v.灌输(implant的第三人称单数); procedure:n.步骤;手术;(商业、法律或政治上的)程序; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) considerably:adv.相当地;非常地;
|
So if it didn't work, you couldn't go back. |
所以如果它不成功的话, 你也无法回到以前的状态了。 |
At that time, implants were also controversial in the Deaf culture. |
在那时,在听障人群的圈子里, 耳蜗植入还是颇有争议的。 |
Basically , it was considered the equivalent of changing the color of your skin. |
因为人们认为植入耳蜗 无异于改变你皮肤的颜色。 |
I held off for a while , but my hearing was going downhill fast, and hearing aids were no longer helping. |
我犹豫了一段时间, 但后来我听力下降的速度太快, 我的助听装置已经帮不了我了。 |
controversial:adj.有争议的;有争论的; Basically:adv.主要地,基本上; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; downhill:adv.下坡;向下;每况愈下;adj.下坡的;容易的;n.下坡;滑降;
|
So in 2003, I made the tough decision to have the cochlear implant. |
所以在 2003 年,我做出了 一个艰难的决定,去植入人造耳蜗。 |
I just needed to stop that soul-sucking cycle of loss, regardless of whether the operation worked, and I really didn't think that it would. |
不管手术是否会成功, 我也真的没想到它会成功。 |
I saw it as one last box to check off before I made the transition to being completely deaf, which a part of me wanted. |
我把它看作是 我的某一部分其实 渴望自己完全失聪。 |
Complete silence is very addictive . |
绝对的寂静会让人上瘾。 |
Maybe you've spent time in a sensory deprivation tank, and you know what I mean. |
如果你曾体验过感官剥夺箱, 【注:在隔光隔音箱子的盐水中漂浮】 你就知道我指的是什么了。 |
regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; addictive:adj.使人上瘾的;使人入迷的; sensory:adj.感觉的;知觉的;传递感觉的; deprivation:n.剥夺;损失;免职;匮乏;贫困;
|
Silence has mind-expanding capabilities. |
寂静具有开拓人心智的能力。 |
In silence , I see sound. |
在寂静中,我能看见声音。 |
When I watch a music video without sound, |
当我观看一段 没有声音的音乐录像带时, |
I can hear music. |
我能听见音乐声。 |
In the absence of sound, my brain fills in the gaps based on the movement I see. |
在没有声音时, 我的大脑会根据我所看到的 律动为我填补那段空白。[06:02] |
mind-expanding:adj.使感觉强烈的;致幻的; In silence:沉默地; In the absence of:缺乏,不存在;无…时,缺少…时; gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式);
|
My mind is no longer competing with the distraction of sound. |
我的大脑没有了声音的干扰, |
It's freed up to think more creatively . |
具有了更自由的想象空间。 |
There are advantages to having bionic body parts as well. |
人体仿生装置也有它们的优点。 |
It's undeniably convenient to be able to hear, and I can turn it off any time I want. |
不可否认的, 听觉能为我带来方便, 而且我可以随时关掉它们。 |
competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词) distraction:n.注意力分散;消遣;心烦意乱; creatively:adv.创造性地;有创造力地; advantages:n.有利条件; v.有利于; bionic:adj.仿生学的;利用仿生学的; undeniably:adv.不可否认地;确凿无疑地; convenient:adj.实用的;便利的;方便的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I'm hearing when I need to be, and the rest of the time, I'm not. |
我仅在需要的时候开启听力, 其他时候则保持关闭。 |
Bionic hearing doesn't age, although external parts sometimes need replacement . |
仿生听觉不会随年龄增加而退化, 尽管某些外部配件 有时需要被更换。 |
It would be so cool to just automatically regenerate a damaged part like a real cyborg, but I get mine FedExed from Advanced Bionics . |
要是我能像一个真的 赛博格(改造人)一样 可我的部件是由高级仿生公司 用联邦快递寄过来的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Oh, I get updates downloaded into my head. |
对了,那些部件的更新 是直接下载到我的脑子里的。 |
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; replacement:n.替换;更换;替代品;接替者; automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; regenerate:vt.使再生;革新;vi.再生;革新;adj.再生的;革新的; FedExed:n.联邦快递(等于theFederalExpress); Advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) Bionics:n.仿生学; updates:v.使现代化; n.现代化; (update的第三人称单数和复数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's not quite AirDrop -- but close. |
虽然不完全是蓝牙传输, 但也差不多了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
With the cochlear implant, |
有了人工耳蜗, |
I can stream music from my iPod into my head without earbuds . |
我不需要戴耳机就能 用 iPod 在脑子里播放音乐。 |
Recently , I went to a friend's long, tedious concert ... |
最近,我去听了一位朋友 冗长而又乏味的音乐会……[07:11] |
AirDrop:vt.空投;n.空投; earbuds:耳机; Recently:adv.最近;新近; tedious:adj.沉闷的;冗长乏味的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
and unknown to anyone else, |
没有人知道, |
I listened to the Beatles for three hours instead. |
我其实在那儿听了 三小时甲壳虫乐队的歌。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Technology has come so far so fast. |
科技以极快的速度发展到了今天。 |
The biggest obstacle I face as a deaf person is no longer a physical barrier . |
作为一个耳聋的人, 我所遇到的最大障碍 已经不是物理层面的了。[07:34] |
Beatles:n.披头士合唱(摇滚乐队); obstacle:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;绊脚石; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; barrier:n.屏障;障碍;障碍物;关口;v.用栅围住;
|
It's the way that people respond to my deafness , the outdated way people respond to my deafness -- pity, patronization, even anger -- because that just cancels out the human connection that technology achieves. |
而是他人对我耳聋的态度, 人们对我耳聋的那种 一成不变的过时态度—— 怜悯,屈尊,甚至是愤怒—— 这些态度直接抵消了科技进步 所带来的人与人之间的连接。 |
I once had a travel roommate who had a complete temper tantrum , because I didn't hear her knocking on the door when her key didn't work. |
我曾经有个旅友, 有一次她大发脾气, 因为当她的钥匙开不了门时, 我没听见她敲门的声音。 |
If I hadn't been there, no problem, she could get another key, but when she saw that I was there, her anger boiled over. |
如果我不在场就没什么大不了的, 她会再领一把新的钥匙, 但当她看见我就在屋里时, 她突然变得怒火中烧。 |
respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和; deafness:n.聋;听力不佳; outdated:adj.过时的;旧式的;v.使过时(outdate的过去式和过去分词); temper:n.脾气;情绪;心情;性情;v.使缓和;使温和;使(金属)回火; tantrum:n.发脾气;发怒;
|
It was no longer about a key. |
那已经不是一把钥匙的问题了。 |
It was about deafness not being a good enough reason for her inconvenience . |
她觉得我耳聋并不是 造成她不方便的 充足理由。 |
Or the commercial about the deaf man whose neighborhood surprised him with sign language messages from people on the street. |
有一则关于失聪者的电视广告, 广告里街上的人们 都以手语和他交流, 这使他感到惊讶与感动。 |
Everyone who sent me the video told me they cried, so I asked them, "Well, what if he wasn't deaf? |
每个发我那段视频的人 都说把他们看哭了, 于是我问他们, “那么,要是他没有听觉障碍呢? |
inconvenience:n.不便;麻烦;困难;带来不便者;;v.给(某人)造成不便(或带来麻烦); commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; sign language:n.手势语; what if:如果…怎么办?
|
What if his first language was Spanish, and everyone learned Spanish instead? |
要是他的第一语言是西班牙语, 大家都去学西班牙语, 而不是手语和他交流呢? |
Would you have cried?" |
你还会哭吗?” |
And they all said no. |
他们说不会。 |
They weren't crying because of the communication barrier, they were crying because the man was deaf. |
让他们落泪的并不是沟通障碍, 而是那个人听不见的这个事实。 |
But I see it differently. |
但我看问题的角度和他们不同,[08:54] |
first language:n.母语;第一语言;
|
What if the Borg showed up in that video, and the Borg said, "Deafness is irrelevant ." |
如果博格人出现在了那段视频中, 说“耳聋是无关紧要的”。 |
Because that's what they say, right? |
他们总说这种话,对吧? |
Everything's "irrelevant." |
每件事对他们来说 都是“无关紧要的”。 |
And then the Borg assimilated the deaf guy -- not out of pity, not out of anger, but because he had a biological distinctiveness that the Borg wanted, including unique language capabilities. |
然后博格人就把那个 耳聋的年轻人同化了—— 并不是出于怜悯或愤怒, 只是因为他有博格人想要的 生物特性, 包括独特的语言能力。 |
irrelevant:adj.不相干的;不切题的; assimilated:吸收; biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; distinctiveness:n.特殊性;区别性;辨别性; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
|
I would much rather see that commercial. |
我更宁愿看到那种广告出现。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Why does thinking about ability make people so uncomfortable? |
为什么一提到残障, 人们就会感到这么不自在? |
You might know a play, later a movie, called "Children of a Lesser God," |
你也许听说过这部戏剧, 后来被改编成了电影, 叫作《失宠于上帝的孩子们》, |
by Mark Medoff. |
编剧是马克·麦多福(Mark Medoff)。 |
That play, that title, actually comes from a poem by Alfred Tennyson, and I interpret both the play and title to say that humans who are perceived as defective were made by a lesser God and live an inferior existence, |
这部戏剧和标题 其实出自丁尼生(Tennyson)的一首诗, 我对它们的解读是, 那些被视为有缺陷的人 是由次等神创造出来的, 他们的存在低人一等, |
Lesser:adj.较少的;次要的;更小的;adv.较少地;更小地;不及; perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词) defective:adj.有缺陷的;不完美的;n.有缺陷的人;不完全变化词; inferior:adj.较差的; n.不如别人的人;
|
while those made by the real God are a superior class, because God doesn't make mistakes. |
而那些由真正的神所创造出的 人类则是更优越的存在, 因为神是不会犯错的。 |
In World War II, an estimated 275,000 people with disabilities were murdered in special death camps, because they didn't fit Hitler's vision of a superior race. |
在二战时期, 大约有 27.5 万身体有残疾的人 被带到死亡集中营中处死了, 因为他们不符合希特勒 对于“优秀民族”的构想。 |
superior:n.上级;上司;adj.(在品质上)更好的;占优势的;更胜一筹的; estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; disabilities:n.残疾(disability的复数);身心障碍者; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
Hitler said that he was inspired by the United States, which had enacted involuntary sterilization laws for "the unfit " |
希特勒说他其实是 受到了美国人的启发, 美国在 20 世纪初通过了 针对与优生学不符人群的 |
in the early 1900s. |
非自愿绝育法, |
That practice continued in more than 30 states until the '70s, with the last law finally repealed in 2003. |
在超过 30 个州实行, 并持续到了 70 年代, 直到 2003 年才被完全废除。 |
So the world is not that far removed from Tennyson's poem. |
所以这个世界离丁尼生的诗歌 所描述的也没有那么远。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) enacted:n.制定,颁布; involuntary:adj.无意识的;自然而然的;不知不觉的; sterilization:n.消毒,[医][食品]杀菌;使不孕;无用状态; unfit:adj.不适宜的;不合格的;不健康的;v.使不合格;使不相宜;使不胜任; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; repealed:v.废止(repeal的过去分词);撤消;
|
That tendency to make assumptions about people based on ability comes out in sentences like "You're so special," "I couldn't live like that" |
那种根据能力 来对人做出假设的倾向 会让人说出诸如 “你可真特别”, “我要是这样可活不下去”, |
or "Thank God that's not me." |
或是“感谢上帝,这种事 没发生在我身上”这样的话。 |
Changing how people think is like getting them to break a habit. |
改变人们思考的方式 就像是让他们戒除某种习惯一样。 |
Before the implant, I had stopped using the voice telephone and switched to email, but people kept leaving me voice mail. |
在耳蜗植入前, 我已停止使用语音电话, 转而使用电子邮件, 但人们还是继续 给我留电话留言。 |
tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; assumptions:n.假定;假设;承担;获得;(assumption的复数)
|
They were upset that I was unreachable by phone and not returning messages. |
他们会因我不接电话, 不回他们信息 而生气。 |
I continued to tell them my situation. |
我不断地向他们解释我的情况。 |
It took them months to adapt . |
他们还是花了数月才适应。 |
Fast-forward 10 years, and you know who else hated voice mail? |
往前快进十年, 你们知道还有谁 也痛恨语音信箱吗? |
Millennials . |
千禧一代。[11:34] |
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; unreachable:adj.不能得到的;不能达到的; adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应; Fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进; Millennials:n.千禧世代;千禧之子;千禧一代(millennial的复数);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And you know what they did? |
你知道他们怎么做吗? |
They normalized texting for communication instead. |
他们把短信变成了 普遍的沟通手段。 |
Now, when it comes to ignoring voice mail, it no longer matters whether you're deaf or just self-absorbed . |
所以现在谁要是不回语音信箱, 那他既可能是因为耳聋, 也可能是因为他只顾自己。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Millennials changed how people think about messaging. |
千禧一代改变了人们 对讯息传递的看法。[12:02] |
normalized:adj.标准化的; v.使规范化(normalize的过去分词); ignoring:v.忽略,忽视;(ignore的现在分词); self-absorbed:adj.自私的;专心于自己的事务或利益的;固执己见;
|
They reset the default . |
他们重置了默认值。 |
Can I just tell you how much I love texting? |
你们知道我有多爱发短信吗? |
Oh, and group texts. |
还有群发。 |
I have six siblings -- they're all hearing, but I don't think any less of them. |
我有六个兄弟姐妹—— 他们都听得见, 但我从不会因此看不起他们。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声)[12:20] |
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版; default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
|
And we all text. |
而我们都发短信交流。 |
Do you know how thrilling it is to have a visual means of communication that everyone else actually uses? |
你知道有这种 大家都用来沟通的视觉方法 有多令我感到激动吗? |
So I am on a mission now. |
所以我现在正执行一项使命。 |
As a consumer of technology, |
作为一名科技的使用者, |
I want visual options whenever there's audio. |
只要一件产品有声音选项, 我就会要求它也具备视觉选项。 |
It doesn't matter whether I'm deaf or don't want to wake the baby. |
这种视觉选项的出现 究竟是为了照顾耳聋者, 还是因为父母不想 吵醒婴儿并不重要。[12:40] |
thrilling:adj.惊心动魄的; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的现在分词) visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
Both are equally valid . |
这两类人希望有这种选项 都是很合理的。 |
Smart designers include multiple ways to access technology, but segregating that access under " accessibility " -- that's just hiding it from mainstream users. |
聪明的设计师 会制造多种方式 让使用者能接触到科技, 而把这种接触科技的方式 分到“无障碍功能”底下—— 其实是把它们藏到 主流用户看不见的地方。 |
valid:adj.有效的;有根据的;合法的;正当的; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; segregating:v.隔离并区别对待;(使)分开,分离,隔离;(segregate的现在分词) accessibility:n.易接近;可亲;可以得到; mainstream:n.主流;
|
In order to change how people think, we need to be more than accessible , we need to be connected. |
为了改变人们的思考方式, 我们不止需要“无障碍功能”, 我们更需要彼此之间的连接。 |
Apple did this recently. |
苹果公司最近做到了这些。 |
On my iPhone, it automatically displays a visual transcript of my voice mail, right next to the audio button. |
在我的苹果手机上, 它会在语音按钮旁边 自动显示 我语音信箱的文字版本。 |
I couldn't turn it off even if I wanted to. |
就算我想关掉它也做不到。 |
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; displays:v.陈列; n.陈列; transcript:n.成绩单;抄本,副本;文字记录;
|
You know what else? |
你知道还有什么别的吗? |
Netflix , Hulu, Amazon Prime no longer say "Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired ." |
Netflix, Hulu(视频网站), Amazon Prime (亚马逊金牌服务) |
They say " subtitles ," "on" or "off," |
而是“字幕”,“开启”或“关闭”, |
with a list of languages underneath , including English. |
下面还有多种语言选项, 包括英语。 |
Technology has come so far. |
科技已经发展至此了。 |
Our mindset just needs to catch up. |
我们的思维模式 只需要跟上它的节奏。[13:40] |
Netflix:n.网飞公司(出租DVD;在线观看电影的网站。); Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; Prime:adj.主要的; v.极好地; n.初期; v.使准备好; impaired:adj.受损的;v.损害(impair的过去式和过去分词); subtitles:n.[图情]副标题(subtitle的复数); v.给…加副标题; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的; mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
|
'" Resistance is futile ." |
“抵抗是无效的”。 (博格人口头禅) |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You have been assimilated. |
你们已经被同化了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢。[13:51] |
Resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力; futile:adj.无用的;无效的;没有出息的;琐细的;不重要的;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |