返回首页

RaymondTang_2017S-_以及水的哲学教导我们的其他课题_

You may know this feeling: you wake up to multiple unread notifications on your mobile phone . 你可能知道这种感觉: 起床时,手机上已经 有一堆未读通知。
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; unread:adj.未经阅读的;无学问的,读书不多的; notifications:n.通知; (notification的复数) mobile phone:移动电话
Your calendar is already packed with meetings, sometimes double- or triple-booked. 你的行事历塞满了会议行程, 有时还有两、三场会议时间重迭。
calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
You feel engaged , you feel busy. 你觉得有在做事,你觉得很忙。
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
In fact, you feel productive . 事实上,你觉得很有生产力。
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
But at the end of it all, something still feels missing. 但在一切都结束时, 仍然觉得少了点什么。
You try to figure out what it is. 你试着想出是少了什么。
But before you do, the next day starts all over again. 但在你想出来之前, 隔天的重覆循环又开始了。
That was how I felt two years ago. 我两年前就是有这种感觉。
I felt stressed; I felt anxious. 我觉得有压力;我觉得很焦虑。
I felt a bit trapped . 我觉得有点被困住了。
trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式)
The world around me was moving very quickly. 我周围的世界动得好快。
And I didn't know what to do. 我不知道如何是好。
I started wondering to myself: 我开始问自己:
How do I keep up with all this? 我要如何跟上这一切?
keep up with:赶得上;和…保持联系;
How do we find fulfillment in a world that's literally changing as fast as we can think, or maybe even faster? 我们要如何才能找到满足感, 毕竟这个世界改变的速度 和我们思考的速度一样快, 说不定还更快?
fulfillment:n.履行;实行; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
I started looking for answers. 我开始寻找答案。
I spoke to many people, I spoke to my friends, 我和很多人谈过, 我和我的朋友谈过,
I spoke to my family. 我和我的家人谈过。
I even read many self-help books. 我甚至读了很多自助书籍。
self-help:n.自助;自救;自立;adj.自助的;
But I couldn't find anything satisfactory . 但我找不到任何满意的答案。
satisfactory:adj.满意的;符合要求的;赎罪的;
In fact, the more self-help books I read, the more stressed and anxious I became. 事实上,我读越多自助书籍, 我反而变得更有压力、更焦虑。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It was like I was feeding my mind with junk food , and I was becoming mentally obese . 这就像是喂我的大脑吃垃圾食物, 而我在精神上变得很肥胖。
junk food:垃圾食物;华而不实的东西; mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上; obese:adj.肥胖的,过胖的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I was about to give up, until one day, I found this. 我快要放弃了, 直到有一天,我发现了这个:
was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
'"The Tao Te Ching : The Book of the Way and Its Virtue ." 《道德经:谈道和德的书籍》。
Ching:n.实验用电子控制自动转换; Virtue:n.美德;优点;贞操;功效;
This is an ancient Chinese philosophy classic that was written more than 2,600 years ago. 这是中国古代的哲学经典, 至少有两千六百年的历史。
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
And it was by far the thinnest and the smallest book on the bookshelf . 它是书架上最薄最小的一本书。
bookshelf:n.书架;
It only had 81 pages. 它只有八十一页。
And each page had a short poem. 每一页都有一首短诗。
I remember I flipped to one particular poem. 我记得,我翻到了一首诗。
flipped:v.(使)快速翻转;按(开关);轻掷;(flip的过去分词和过去式)
Here it is. 在这里。
It's beautiful, isn't it? 很美,是吧?
(Laughter) (笑声)
Let me read it out to you. 让我读给你们听。
'"The supreme goodness is like water. 「至高的善就像是水。
supreme:adj.最高的;至高的;最重要的;n.至高;霸权;
It benefits all things without contention . 它让万物受惠,不与万物相争。
contention:n.争论,争辩;争夺;论点;
In dwelling , it stays grounded. 静止时,它谦虚待在低处。
dwelling:n.住处;住所;公寓;v.居住;栖身;(dwell的现在分词)
In being, it flows to depths. 流动时,它渊博沉静。
In expression , it is honest. 表现时,它清晰有诚信。
expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
In confrontation , it stays gentle. 对质时,它维持温和柔善。
confrontation:n.对抗;面对;对质;
In governance , it does not control. 在治理时,它不求控制。
governance:n.管理;统治;支配;
In action, it aligns to timing. 在行动时,它会顺应时势。
It is content with its nature and therefore cannot be faulted." 因为它无所争, 也就不会有所怨尤。」
Wow! I remember when I first read this passage. 哇!我记得第一次读到这段文字,
I felt the biggest chills down my spine . 明显感到背脊发凉。
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
I still feel that today, reading it to you guys. 今天读给各位听时,都还有这感觉。
My anxiety and stress just suddenly disappeared . 我的焦虑和压力突然就消失了。
anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
Ever since that day, 那天之后,
I've been trying to apply the concepts in this passage to my day-to-day life. 我就一直试图将这段文字中的概念 应用到我的日常生活当中。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的;
And today, I'd like to share with you three lessons I learned so far from this philosophy of water -- three lessons that I believe have helped me find greater fulfillment 今天我想要分享我目前从水的哲学 所学到的三课── 我相信,正是这三课协助了我,
The first lesson is about humility . 第一课和谦卑有关。
humility:n.谦卑,谦逊;
If we think about water flowing in a river, it is always staying low. 如果我们想想在河流中流动的水, 它一直都是低姿态的。
It helps all the plants grow and keeps all the animals alive. 它协助各种植物成长, 维持所有动物的生命。
It doesn't actually draw any attention to itself, nor does it need any reward or recognition . 水不会把注意力拉到自己身上, 也不需要任何奖赏或是认可。
reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
It is humble . 水是谦逊的。
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭;
But without water's humble contribution , life as we know it may not exist. 但若没有水的谦逊贡献, 我们所知道的生命就不会存在。
contribution:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;稿件;
Water's humility taught me a few important things. 水的谦虚教了我几件重要的事。
It taught me that instead of acting like I know what I'm doing or I have all the answers, it's perfectly OK to say, "I don't know. 它教我,不用在表面装作 我知道我在做什么, 或装作我有所有的答案, 我完全可以大方的说: 「我不知道。
I want to learn more, and I need your help." 我想要学更多, 我需要你的协助。」
It also taught me that, instead of promoting my glory and success, it is so much more satisfying to promote the success and glory of others. 水也教我,不用去 宣传我的榮耀和成功, 宣传他人的榮耀和成功 才是更让人满足的。
promoting:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升;(promote的现在分词) promote:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升;
It taught me that, instead of doing things where I can get ahead, it so much more fulfilling and meaningful to help other people overcome their challenges so they can succeed. 水教我,我要做的不是 让我能领先别人的事, 更有意义也更让人满足的是 协助他人克服他们的挑战, 让他们能够成功。
fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词) meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的; overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
With a humble mindset , 有了谦逊的心态,
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
I was able to form a lot richer connections with the people around me. 我得以和我身边的人 建立更丰富满足的连结。
I became genuinely interested in the stories and experiences that make them unique and magical. 我变成真心感到好奇, 想了解是什么故事和经验 让他们如此独特且迷人。
genuinely:adv.真诚地;诚实地; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
Life became a lot more fun, because every day I'd discover new quirks , new ideas and new solutions to problems I didn't know before, all thanks to the ideas and help from others. 人生变得更有趣了, 因为每天我都会发现 新的奇思妙想、新的点子, 以及新的问题解决方案, 都是我以前不知道的, 全都归功于这些想法 以及他人的协助。
quirks:怪癖;急转;借口(quirk的复数);
All streams eventually flow to the ocean because it is lower than them. 所有的溪流最终都会流入海洋, 因为海洋比它们还要低。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
Humility gives water its power. 水的力量来自谦虚。
But I think it gives us the capacity to remain grounded, to be present, to learn from and be transformed by the stories of the people around us. 但我认为,它让我们有足够的 能力可以保持脚踏实地, 可以活在当下, 可以从身边的人的故事中 学到东西并产生改变。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
The second lesson I learned is about harmony . 我学到的第二课与和谐有关。
harmony:n.协调;和睦;融洽;调和;
If we think about water flowing towards a rock, it will just flow around it. 想想看,当水流向一块石头时, 水只会绕过它。
It doesn't get upset , it doesn't get angry, it doesn't get agitated . 它不会沮丧,它不会生气, 它不会激动。
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; agitated:adj.激动的; v.搅动; (agitate的过去分词和过去式)
In fact, it doesn't feel much at all. 事实上,它几乎不会有感觉。
When faced with an obstacle , somehow water finds a solution , without force, without conflict . 当面临障碍时,水会以 某种方式找到解决方案, 不用武力,不用冲突。
obstacle:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;绊脚石; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
When I was thinking through this, I began to understand 当我在思考这一点时,
Instead of working in harmony with my environment, 我并没有和我的环境和谐相处,
I was working against it. 反而是在对抗它。
I was forcing things to change because I was consumed by the need to succeed or to prove myself. 我试图强迫事物改变, 因为我有强烈的需求, 需要成功或证明我自己。
consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式)
In the end, nothing did. 最终,什么都没改变。
And I got more frustrated . 我就更感到挫折。
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
By simply shifting my focus from trying to achieve more success to trying to achieve more harmony, 只要简单地把我的焦点转移, 从达成更多的成就, 转移到试图达成更多的和谐,
shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词)
I was immediately able to feel calm and focused again. 我马上就能够再次 感受到平静以及专注。
I started asking questions like: 我开始问这样的问题:
Will this action bring me greater harmony and bring more harmony to my environment? 这么做是否会带给我更大的和谐? 带给我的环境更多的和谐?
Does this align with my nature? 这和我的天性吻合吗?
align:vt.使结盟;使成一行;匹配;vi.排列;排成一行;
I became more comfortable simply being who I am, rather than who I'm supposed to be or expected to be. 我变得能够更自在地做自己, 而不是做我应该成为的人, 或被期望成为的人。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
Work actually became easier, because I stopped focusing on things that I cannot control and only on the things that I can. 工作变得更容易了, 因为我不再把焦点放在 我无法控制的事物上, 只放在我能控制的事物上。
I stopped fighting with myself, and I learned to work with my environment to solve its problems. 我不再和自己斗争, 我学会和我的环境合作, 来解决它的问题。
Nature does not hurry. 大自然并不匆忙。
Yet, everything is accomplished . 然而,一切都完成了。
accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
That's Tao Te Ching's way of describing the power of harmony. 那就是《道德经》 描述和谐力量的方式。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词)
Just as water is able to find a solution without force or conflict, 就像水能够找到不用武力 或冲突的方式来解决问题一样,
I believe we can find a greater sense of fulfillment in our endeavors by shifting focus from achieving more success to achieving more harmony. 我相信,在我们的努力尝试中, 我们也能找到更高的满足感, 只要能把焦点从达成更多成就转移到 达成更多和谐。
endeavors:尽力;
The third lesson I learned from the philosophy of water is about openness . 我从水的哲学中所学到的第三课 和开放有关。
openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真;
Water is open to change. 水对于改变是开放的。
Depending on the temperature, it can be a liquid, solid or gas. 依温度的不同,它可以是 液态、固态,或气态。
Depending on the medium it's in, it can be a teapot , a cup or a flower vase. 依它所在的媒介物, 它可以是茶壶、杯子,或花瓶。
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的; teapot:n.茶壶;小题大做;
In fact, it's water's ability to adapt and change and remain flexible that made it so enduring through the ages, despite all the changes in the environment. 事实上,水有能力去适应、 去改变,还能维持弹性, 这让它能世世代代持续下去, 不论环境如何改变。
adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应; flexible:adj.灵活的;柔韧的;易弯曲的; enduring:adj.持久的;耐久的;v.忍耐;忍受;持续;持久;(endure的现在分词) despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
We also live in a world today of constant change. 现今,我们也居住在 一个经常改变的世界中,
We can no longer expect to work to a static job description or follow a single career path. 我们已经无法期待 工作内容不会改变, 也不能只循着单一职涯的路。
static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰); job description:n.工作职责说明;岗位责任说明; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
We, too, are expected to constantly reinvent and refresh our skills to stay relevant . 我们也被期许要经常 重塑和更新我们的技能, 才能保有重要性。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; reinvent:v.以新形象示人;以新形式出现; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
In our organization , we host a lot of hackathons, where small groups or individuals come together to solve a business problem in a compressed time frame . 在我们的组织里, 会举办许多骇客马拉松, 小团体或是个人来参加, 在一段有限的时间之内 要解决一个商業问题。
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); compressed:adj.(空气或气体)压缩的; v.(被)压紧; (compress的过去式和过去分词) time frame:n.期间时限;
And what's interesting to me is that the teams that usually win are not the ones with the most experienced team members, but the ones with members who are open to learn, who are open to unlearn and who are open to helping each other navigate through the changing circumstances . 让我很感兴趣的是, 通常会胜出的团队, 它们的队员通常都不是最有经验的, 而是愿意开放学习的, 也愿意开放舍弃既有想法的, 还能开放地协助彼此, 在不断改变的情境中找到方向。
unlearn:vt.忘却;抛掉以前的想法;去掉…的弊习; navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
Life is like a hackathon in some way. 在某种层面上, 人生就像骇客马拉松。
It's calling to each and every one of us to step up, to open up and cause a ripple effect . 它在呼唤我们每个人, 站出来,打开心胸, 制造出涟漪效应。
ripple effect:n.连锁反应;
Now, we can stay behind closed doors and continue to be paralyzed by our self-limiting beliefs, such as: "I will never be able to talk about Chinese philosophy in front of a huge audience." 我们可以待在关闭的门后, 继续消极气馁, 只因为我们的信念限制了自己,如: 「我永远不可能对着广大的观众, 谈中国的哲学。」
behind closed doors:秘密;秘密地;紧闭的门后;与外界隔绝地; paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Or we can just open up and enjoy the ride. 或者,我们也可以 打开自己,享受过程。
It can only be an amazing experience. 它只有可能是很棒的经验。
So humility, harmony and openness. 谦虚、和谐,以及开放。
Those are the three lessons I learned from the philosophy of water so far. 这些是我目前从 水的哲学所学到的三课。
They nicely abbreviate to H-H-O, or H2O. 它们可以缩写成 H-H-O, (谦虚=H、和谐=H、开放=O) 或 H2O。 (谦虚=H、和谐=H、开放=O)
nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的; abbreviate:vt.缩写,使省略;使简短;vi.使用缩写词;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And they have become my guiding principles in life. 它们已经变成了我的人生指引原则。
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
So nowadays, whenever I feel stressed, unfulfilled , anxious or just not sure what to do, 所以现在当我感到有压力、 不满足、焦虑,或只是 不确定该怎么做时,
unfulfilled:adj.未得到满足的;没有成就感的;
I simply ask the question: 我就只是问这个问题:
What would water do? 水 (H2O) 会怎么做?
(Laughter) (笑声)
This simple and powerful question inspired by a book written long before the days of bitcoin , fintech and digital technology has changed my life for the better . 这个简单又强大的问题, 灵感来自一本书, 这本早在比特币、金融科技、 数位科技出现之前就存在的书, 让我的人生变得更好了。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) bitcoin:比特币(电子货币的一种形式,是专为互联网交易而创造的货币); digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; for the better:好转,向好的方向发展;
Try it, and let me know how it works for you. 试试看,再告诉我 它对你的幫助如何。
I would love to hear from you. 我很乐意听到你们的回音。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)