|
|
RayKurzweil_2009U-_奇点大学_
|
Information technology grows in an exponential manner. |
信息技术正以指数幅度发展。 |
Information technology:n.信息技术; exponential:adj.指数的;n.指数;
|
It's not linear . And our intuition is linear . |
它并不是线性的。而对我们来说,直觉却是线性的。 |
linear:adj.线的,线型的;直线的,线状的;长度的; intuition:n.直觉;直觉力;直觉的知识;
|
When we walked through the savanna a thousand years ago we made linear predictions where that animal would be. |
千年前,当我们的祖先经过热带草原时, 他们常常会线性预测(根据直觉找寻)野兽的踪迹。 |
savanna:n.[生态]热带草原;热带的稀树大草原; predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式);
|
And that worked fine. It's hardwired in our brains. |
这的确行得通。因为这些是我们与生俱来的本能。 |
hardwired:adj.电路的;
|
But the pace of exponential growth is really what describes information technologies . |
然而信息技术当下的发展速度 只能用指数发展来形容。 |
describes:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;(describe的第三人称单数) technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
|
And it's not just computation . |
这两者的差异不仅仅局限于数值。 |
computation:n.估计,计算;
|
There is a big difference between linear and exponential growth. |
它们是天差地别的。 |
If I take 30 steps linearly , one, two, three, four, five, |
假如我直走30步,一、二、三、四、五, |
linearly:adv.成直线地;在线上地;
|
I get to 30. |
我会一直走到30。 |
If I take 30 steps exponentially , two, four, eight, 16, |
可是假如我以指数方式走三十步,二、四、八、16, |
exponentially:adv.以指数方式;
|
I get to a billion. |
我会到达十亿多。 |
It makes a huge difference. |
这之间差了十万八千里啊。 |
And that really describes information technology. |
偏偏指数增长正确描述了当今的信息技术发展。 |
When I was a student at MIT we all shared one computer that took up a whole building. |
当我尚是一位麻省理工的学生时, 我们班共用一台占据了整栋房子的电脑。 |
The computer in your cellphone today is a million times cheaper, a million times smaller, a thousand times more powerful. |
不过现在的手机芯片比那台电脑便宜一百万倍 体型也小了一百万倍, 但功能却强大了千倍。 |
cellphone:n.蜂窝式便携无线电话;大哥大;
|
That's a billion-fold increase in capability per dollar that we've actually experienced since I was a student. |
这就相当于一美元有亿倍的增长能力 从我尚是一名学生到现在,这就是我所经历的。 |
capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量;
|
And we're going to do it again in the next 25 years. |
这样的快速发展还会保持25年。 |
Information technology progresses through a series of S-curves where each one is a different paradigm . |
信息技术通过一系列 S-曲线的考验后 将可以到达不同的模式。 |
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; paradigm:n.范例;词形变化表;
|
So people say, "What's going to happen when Moore's Law comes to an end?" |
因此有人问:”当摩尔定律效尽时,这世界将会如何?“ |
Which will happen around 2020. |
我相信这大概会在2020年发生。 |
We'll then go to the next paradigm. |
我们将会进入一新纪元。 |
And Moore's Law was not the first paradigm to bring exponential growth to computing . |
摩尔定律并不是第一个 导致信息技术进行指数增长的范式。 |
computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
|
The exponential growth of computing started decades before Gordon Moore was even born. |
信息技术的指数增长发生于 戈登·摩尔出生的十几年前。 |
And it doesn't just apply to computation. |
它不仅仅局限于信息技术。 |
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
|
It's really any technology where we can measure the underlying information properties. |
而且包含了我们 所知的所有科技中。 |
underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词)
|
Here we have 49 famous computers. I put them in a logarithmic graph. |
我将49台不同年代的电脑整理进一幅对数图。 |
logarithmic:adj.对数的;
|
The logarithmic scale hides the scale of the increase. |
对数的大小遮掩住真正增长的比率。 |
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
Because this represents trillions-fold increase since the 1890 census . |
因为这些代表着自1890年以来, 科技的万亿倍增长。 |
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) census:vt.实施统计调查;n.人口普查,人口调查;
|
In 1950s they were shrinking vacuum tubes, making them smaller and smaller. They finally hit a wall. |
在50年代,工程师们都为尽可能地 缩小真空管而努力。但最终碰了壁。 |
shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词) vacuum:n.真空; adj.真空的; v.用真空吸尘器清扫; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
They couldn't shrink the vacuum tube any more and keep the vacuum. |
他们无法继续缩小真空管并同时保持着真空的状态。 |
And that was the end of the shrinking of vacuum tubes. |
这就是真空管缩小事件的结果。 |
But it was not the end of the exponential growth of computing. |
却不是信息技术的指数增长的停滞。 |
We went to the fourth paradigm, transistors , and finally integrated circuits . |
于是我们进入到第四种模式,晶体管, 然后来到集成电路。 |
transistors:n.[电子]晶体管;晶体三极管(transistor的复数); integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词) circuits:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;(circuit的第三人称单数和复数)
|
When that comes to an end we'll go to the sixth paradigm, three-dimensional self-organizing molecular circuits. |
当上述过程结束后,我们将会迈进第六种模式, 三维自组分子电路。 |
three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; self-organizing:n.[计]自组织; molecular:adj.[化学]分子的;由分子组成的;
|
But what's even more amazing, really, than this fantastic scale of progress, is that look at how predictable this is. |
但更惊人的是, 比这神奇的过程更惊人的是, 预测科技发展的简单性。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 predictable:adj.可预言的;
|
I mean this went through thick and thin, through war and peace, through boom times and recessions . |
科技发展是经历了所有时期, 如战争期与和平期、繁荣期与衰退期。 |
boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的; recessions:n.衰退;凹入的地方(recession的复数形式);
|
The Great Depression made not a dent in this exponential progression . |
大萧条根本没有影响科技发展的指数增长。 |
Depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; dent:n.凹痕;[名]登特;v.使…凹陷;破坏; progression:n.前进;连续;
|
We'll see the same thing in the economic recession we're having now. |
我相信我们会在这次金融危机中见到同样的东西。 |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
At least the exponential growth of information technology capability will continue unabated . |
至少信息技术的指数增长能力 将不会减弱。 |
unabated:adj.不减弱的,不衰退的;
|
And I just updated these graphs. |
这些图是我刚刚更新过的。 |
updated:adj.更新的;现代化的;v.使现代化;更新;(update的过去分词和过去式)
|
Because I had them through 2002 in my book, "The Singularity is Near." |
于我所著的书《奇点将至》中,这些数据只更新到2002年。 |
Singularity:n.奇异;奇点;突出;稀有;
|
So we updated them so I could present it here, to 2007. |
所以我将它们 更新至2007年。 |
And I was asked, "Well aren't you nervous? |
很多问我:”你不紧张么? |
Maybe it kind of didn't stay on this exponential progression." |
或许它们并不能证明指数增长的说法。” |
I was a little nervous because maybe the data wouldn't be right, but I've done this now for 30 years, and it has stayed on this exponential progression. |
我的确有点紧张, 因为这些数据有可能是错误的, 但我在这行里干了30多年, 而且这行的发展趋势的确遵照指数增长的规律。 |
Look at this graph here.You could buy one transistor for a dollar in 1968. |
看,在1968年,一件晶体管需要一美元。 |
You can buy half a billion today. |
现在,你则可以买五亿件。 |
And they are actually better, because they are faster. |
实际上,现在的晶体管质量更好。 |
But look at how predictable this is. |
看看科技发展是多么好预测的。 |
And I'd say this knowledge is over-fitting to past data. |
只是我会说这些资讯是过去式的了。 |
I've been making these forward-looking predictions for about 30 years. |
我已经做过30年的前瞻性预测了。 |
forward-looking:adj.有远见的;向前看的;
|
And the cost of a transistor cycle, which is a measure of the price performance of electronics , comes down about every year. |
晶体管的费用 相应地呈现了电子市场的价格水准, 这每年都在下降。 |
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; electronics:n.电子学;电子工业;
|
That's a 50 percent deflation rate. |
那说明了百分之50的下降率。 |
deflation:n.通货紧缩;放气;
|
And it's also true of other examples like DNA data or brain data. |
这也适用于其他例子 如DNA数据或大脑数据。 |
But we more than make up for that. |
不过社会发展的更快。 |
make up for:补偿,弥补;
|
We actually ship more than twice as much of every form of information technology. |
事实上,我们的生产力比 同等的科技要高两倍。 |
We've had 18 percent growth in constant dollars in every form of information technology for the last half century. |
这半个世纪里,每样科技的价值 都增长了百分之18。 |
Despite the fact that you can get twice as much of it each year. |
尽管你每年可以收获两次回报, |
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
This is a completely different example. |
这是一全新的例子。 |
This is not Moore's Law. |
这并不是摩尔定律。 |
The amount of DNA data we've sequenced has doubled every year. |
我们每年都可以获得 增加了一倍以上的DNA数据。 |
sequenced:[数][计]序列;
|
The cost has come down by half every year. |
费用却每年减少一半。 |
And this has been a smooth progression since the beginning of the genome project. |
自从人类基因定序计划以来, 这已成为一持续的发展定律。 |
genome:n.基因组;染色体组;
|
And halfway through the project, skeptics said, "This is not working out. You're halfway through the genome project and you've finished one percent of the project." |
当计划进行至一半时, 怀疑者们说:“这不会成功的。计划时间已过了一半, 而你们只完成了百分之一的工作。” |
skeptics:n.疑论者,怀疑主义者(skeptic的复数形式);
|
But that was really right on schedule . |
但按照时间表来说,这是可行的。 |
on schedule:adv.按时;按照预定时间;
|
Because if you double one percent seven more times, which is exactly what happened, you get 100 percent. And the project was finished on time. |
假如你将百分之一用而乘七次, 这就是实际上会发生的, 那就是百分之百。计划也按时完成了。 |
Communication technologies: 50 different ways to measure this. |
通信技术有 50种不同的方式来评量。 |
The number of bits being moved around, the size of the Internet. |
如移动的位元数目和网络的大小。 |
But this has progressed at an exponential pace. |
但科技正以指数步伐前进。 |
This is deeply democratizing . |
这是强烈地民主化。 |
democratizing:民主化;
|
I wrote, over 20 years ago in "The Age of Intelligent Machines," |
20年前,我在《智能简史》中写到, |
Intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
|
when the Soviet Union was going strong , that it would be swept away by this growth of decentralized communication. |
随着苏联的扩张,它将会被增长的 通信势力所瓦解。 |
Soviet:adj.苏维埃的;苏联的;n.苏维埃(前苏联的各级代表会议);苏联人; going strong:强健的;良好的; swept:v.扫除(sweep的过去式和过去分词);adj.扫频的; decentralized:adj.分散的; vt.使分散;
|
And we will have plenty of computation as we go through the 21st century to do things like simulate regions of the human brain. |
当我们走过21世纪时,我们将会拥有新技术 来协助我们进行模拟大脑区域等实验。 |
simulate:vt.模仿;假装;冒充;adj.模仿的;假装的; regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数)
|
But where will we get the software? |
但我们从哪里得到这些技术? |
Some critics say, "Oh, well software is stuck in the mud." |
一些评论家说:“哦,科技还没到那种地步呢。” |
critics:n.评论家;批评者;吹毛求疵的人(critic的复数);
|
But we are learning more and more about the human brain. |
岂知我们正逐步了解大脑。 |
Spatial resolution of brain scanning is doubling every year. |
大脑扫描的空间分辨率,每年都有一倍地提高。 |
Spatial:adj.空间的;存在于空间的;受空间条件限制的; resolution:n.解决;分辨;解析;决议;
|
The amount of data we're getting about the brain is doubling every year. |
相关的数据,也随之一倍增长。 |
And we're showing that we can actually turn this data into working models and simulations of brain regions. |
我们正在证明我们可以转化这些数据 为大脑区域的模型和模拟实验。 |
simulations:n.[计]模拟(simulation的复数);[计]仿真;
|
There is about 20 regions of the brain that have been modeled, simulated and tested: the auditory cortex , regions of the visual cortex , cerebellum , where we do our skill formation, slices of the cerebral cortex , where we do our rational thinking. |
我们目前已模拟和测试了 20个大脑区域: 听觉和视觉皮层, 小脑,我们身体的协调器, 部分大脑皮层,我们进行理性思考的部分。 |
simulated:adj.假装的; v.假装; (simulate的过去式和过去分词) auditory:n.听众;礼堂;adj.听觉的;耳朵的; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; cerebellum:n.[解剖]小脑; slices:n.切片,切割(slice的复数形式);v.切成薄片(slice的三单形式); cerebral:adj.大脑的,脑的; rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的;
|
And all of this has fueled an increase, very smooth and predictable, of productivity . |
这些发现都非常平稳 和在预料之中帮助和增长了生产力。 |
productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力;
|
We've gone from 30 dollars to 130 dollars in constant dollars in the value of an average hour of human labor, fueled by this information technology. |
我们的小时工资已从 30美元增长至130美元了, 这就是因信息技术的进步。 |
And we're all concerned about energy and the environment. |
这还只是对能源和环境的影响。 |
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
|
Well this is a logarithmic graph. |
这里又是一幅对数图。 |
This represents a smooth doubling, every two years, of the amount of solar energy we're creating. |
我们所利用的太阳能 每两年都增长一倍。 |
Particularly as we're now applying nanotechnology , a form of information technology, to solar panels . |
正是由于现时的纳米技术, 这是一种信息技术。 |
Particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; applying:v.申请,请求;使用;应用;(apply的现在分词) nanotechnology:n.纳米技术; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式);
|
And we're only eight doublings away from it meeting 100 percent of our energy needs. |
我们只要再经历八次双倍增长, 我们就可以百分之百地利用太阳能。 |
doublings:n.加倍; v.使加倍; adj.双重的;
|
And there is 10 thousand times more sunlight than we need. |
而这些能力将会是万倍多于我们所需的。 |
sunlight:n.日光;
|
We ultimately will merge with this technology. It's already very close to us. |
我们会最终接受这项技术。它的脚步已近了。 |
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; merge:vt.合并;使合并;吞没;vi.合并;融合;
|
When I was a student it was across campus . Now it fits in our pockets. |
当我尚是一名学生时,电脑有整个校园那么大,而现在却可以装进口袋里。 |
campus:n.(大学)校园;大学,大学生活;校园内的草地;
|
What used to take up a building now fits in our pockets. |
以前需求整栋大楼的资源却被现时的口袋替代了。 |
What now fits in our pockets would fit in a blood cell in 25 years. |
哪知25年后,这些将可以装进我们的红血球里。 |
And we will begin to actually deeply influence our health and our intelligence, as we get closer and closer to this technology. |
当我们迈向这项技术时, 它将会真正左右 我们的健康和智慧。 |
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
|
Based on that we are announcing, here at TED, in true TED tradition, Singularity University. |
根据TED的传统, 我将在此公布,奇点大学。 |
It's a new university that's founded by Peter Diamandis, who is here in the audience, and myself. |
这是一所全新的大学, 由我和台下的彼得·迪曼蒂斯先生 共同创立。 |
It's backed by NASA and Google , and other leaders in the high-tech and science community . |
它还获得美国太空总署和谷歌的赞助, 以及其他高科领域的领袖们的支持。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; high-tech:adj.高科技的,高技术的;仿真技术的;n.高科技; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
And our goal was to assemble the leaders, both teachers and students, in these exponentially growing information technologies, and their application . |
我们的目标是召集领袖们, 不管是学生还是老师, 来共同研究正在指数增长的信息技术和 它的应用。 |
assemble:vt.集合,聚集;装配;收集;vi.集合,聚集; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
|
But Larry Page made an impassioned speech at our organizing meeting, saying we should devote this study to actually addressing some of the major challenges facing humanity . |
拉里·佩奇先生在我们的内部会议上 发表了以慷慨激昂的演讲, 他说我们应致力研究 如何真正解决人类面临的一些重大挑战。 |
impassioned:adj.充满激情的;感激的;v.使充满激情(impassion的过去式和过去分词); devote:v.贡献;把…专用于;听任; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
And if we did that, then Google would back this. |
假使我们这样做,谷歌定会资助我们。 |
And so that's what we've done. |
这就是我们所做的改变。 |
The last third of the nine week intensive summer session will be devoted to a group project to address some major challenge of humanity. |
在紧张的九周暑假学营的最后三周里, 我们将会投身于研究 一些现实社会里的重大问题。 |
intensive:adj.加强的;集中的;透彻的;加强语气的;n.加强器; session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会; devoted:adj.专心致志; v.献身; (devote的过去分词和过去式)
|
Like for example, applying the Internet, which is now ubiquitous , in the rural areas of China or in Africa, to bringing health information to developing areas of the world. |
如将网络普及至 中国和非洲的乡村地区, 从而将健康资讯 传播至世界的每个角落。 |
ubiquitous:adj.普遍存在的;无所不在的; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
And these projects will continue past these sessions , using collaborative interactive communication. |
这项计划将会延伸至学营外, 通过协作来讨论。 |
sessions:n.会议;会期(session的复数); collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的; interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
|
All the intellectual property that is created and taught will be online and available, and developed online in a collaborative fashion. |
而这些讨论所催生的智慧财产 将会在网络上公开 并在网络上进一步深入。 |
intellectual property:知识产权;
|
Here is our founding meeting. |
这是创校会议的照片。 |
But this is being announced today. |
我今天将在这宣布。 |
It will be permanently headquartered in Silicon Valley , at the NASA Ames research center. |
奇点大学会永久设置于硅谷里的 美国太空总署的埃米斯研究所。 |
permanently:adv.永久地,长期不变地; headquartered:adj.以…为总部所在地的;v.设立总部于(headquarter的过去式和过去分词); Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地); Ames:n.艾姆斯氏试验;
|
There are different programs for graduate students, for executives at different companies. |
研究生和公司的主管们将会 被提供不同的课程。 |
executives:n.经理,主管领导,管理人员;领导层;行政部门(executive的复数)
|
The first six tracks here, artificial intelligence , advanced computing technologies, biotechnology , nanotechnology are the different core areas of information technology. |
主要的方面将会是,人工智能, 先进的电脑技术,生物技术,纳米技术, 这些都是信息技术里不同的核心领域。 |
tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数) artificial intelligence:n.人工智能; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
|
Then we are going to apply them to the other areas, like energy, ecology, policy law and ethics , entrepreneurship , so that people can bring these new technologies to the world. |
然后我们将会将他们应用至其它领域, 如能源,生态环境, 政策法律,道德和企业等, 因此学员们可以将这些新技术带给全世界。 |
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准; entrepreneurship:n.企业家精神;
|
So we're very appreciative of the support we've gotten from both the intellectual leaders, the high-tech leaders, particularly Google and NASA. |
我们非常感谢那些帮过我们的人, 不管是学者领袖,还是高科领域的领袖, 特别感谢谷歌和美国太空总署。 |
appreciative:adj.感激的;赏识的;有欣赏力的;承认有价值的;
|
This is an exciting new venture . |
这是一次崭新的刺激冒险。 |
venture:v.敢于;冒险;投机;n.企业;风险;冒险;
|
And we invite you to participate . Thank you very much. |
我们邀请你们来参加。非常感谢。 |
participate:v.参加;参与;
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |