返回首页

RamseyMusallam_2013S-_激发学生学习兴趣的3条黄金法则_

I teach chemistry. 我是化學老師
(Explosion) (爆炸聲)
All right, all right. 沒事、沒事
So more than just explosions , chemistry is everywhere. 不僅出現在爆炸 化學現象隨處可見
explosions:n.[力]爆炸;爆发(explosion的复数);怒气大作;
Have you ever found yourself at a restaurant spacing out just doing this over and over ? 你是否曾經發現自己會在餐廳心不在焉地 一再做這個動作?
over and over:反复;再三;
Some people nodding yes. 有人點頭了
Recently , I showed this to my students, and I just asked them to try and explain why it happened. 最近我做了這個實驗給學生看 請他們動手嘗試並解釋其中原因
Recently:adv.最近;新近;
The questions and conversations that followed were fascinating . 之後學生提出的問題和討論 十分精彩
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
Check out this video that Maddie from my period three class sent me that evening. 請觀賞這部由 Maddie 我第三堂課的學生當晚寄給我的影片
(Clang) (Laughs) (砰)(笑聲)
Now obviously, as Maddie's chemistry teacher, 顯然,身為 Maddie 的化學老師
I love that she went home and continued to geek out about this kind of ridiculous demonstration that we did in class. 我很高興她回家後會認真練習 我們在課堂上示範過的 這個相當有趣的實驗
geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才; ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的; demonstration:n.示范;演示;论证;证明;
But what fascinated me more is that Maddie's curiosity took her to a new level. 但令我更感興趣的是 Maddie 的好奇心 提升了她的視界
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
If you look inside that beaker , you might see a candle. 如果你們觀察燒杯內部 會發現一根蠟燭
beaker:n.烧杯;大口杯;
Maddie's using temperature to extend this phenomenon to a new scenario . Maddie 利用溫度賦予這個現象 嶄新的面貌
extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸; phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物); scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
You know, questions and curiosity like Maddie's are magnets that draw us towards our teachers, and they transcend all technology or buzzwords in education. 你們知道,Maddie 擁有的這種疑惑和好奇心 像磁鐵般讓拉近了學生和老師間的距離 勝過所有教育方面的技巧 或新潮術語
magnets:n.磁铁;磁石;吸铁石;有吸引力的人(或地方、事物);(magnet的复数) transcend:v.超出,超越(通常的界限); technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; buzzwords:n.流行词;
But if we place these technologies before student inquiry , we can be robbing ourselves of our greatest tool as teachers: our students' questions. 但如果我們在學生發問前就展示這些技巧 我們會讓自己失去 老師擁有的最佳工具:學生的疑惑
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); inquiry:n.询问;查询;打听;调查;
For example, flipping a boring lecture from the classroom to the screen of a mobile device might save instructional time, but if it is the focus of our students' experience, it's the same dehumanizing chatter just wrapped up in fancy clothing. 例如,利用行動裝置的銀幕 來講授一堂沉悶的課程 或許能節省教學時間 但若是這成了學生主要的學習體驗 這只是冰冷而無人性的嘮叨 外頭披了件華麗的外衣罷了
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词) boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词) lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫 mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; device:n.装置;策略;图案; instructional:adj.教学的;指导的,教育的; dehumanizing:vt.使成兽性;使失掉人性; chatter:v.打颤;卡嗒地响;瞎谈;(鸟等)鸣;n.饶舌;卡嗒声;啁啾; wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式) fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
But if instead we have the guts to confuse our students, perplex them, and evoke real questions, through those questions, we as teachers have information that we can use to tailor robust and informed methods of blended instruction. 然而,如果我們有骨氣 使學生困惑讓他們摸不著頭緒 激發他們內心的疑惑 身為老師的我們可以利用這些疑惑取得資訊 用以調整教學方針 從中習得混合式教學的方法
have the guts:有勇气; confuse:v.混同;使迷惑;使糊涂;使更难于理解; perplex:vt.使困惑,使为难;使复杂化; evoke:vt.引起,唤起;博得; robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式) blended:v.[天]混合(blend的过去式和过去分词);adj.混杂的;数种混合的;
So, 21st-century lingo jargon mumbo jumbo aside, the truth is, I've been teaching for 13 years now, and it took a life-threatening situation to snap me out of 10 years of pseudo-teaching and help me realize that student questions are the seeds of real learning, not some scripted curriculum that gave them tidbits of random information. 因此,別理會 21 世紀那些莫名其妙的術語 事實上我從事教職已有 13 年 有個生死攸關情況 讓我從10年來的「偽教學」中驚醒 幫助我瞭解學生的疑惑 能培育出真正的學習態度 而非某種照本宣科的課程 那只能提供學生瑣碎而隨機的資訊
lingo:n.行话;术语;隐语; jargon:n.行话,术语;黄锆石; mumbo jumbo:n.繁琐严肃但无意义的语言(或仪式); life-threatening:adj.威胁生命的; snap:v.断裂;移到某位置;厉声说;n.啪嗒声;(尤指抢拍的)照片;adj.仓促的; scripted:adj.照书面稿念的;v.为电影(或戏剧等)写剧本;(script的过去分词和过去式) curriculum:n.课程;总课程; tidbits:n.花边新闻(tidbit的复数); random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
In May of 2010, at 35 years old, with a two-year-old at home and my second child on the way, 2010 年 5 月35 歲的我 有個 2 歲大的孩子第二個孩子即將出生
I was diagnosed with a large aneurysm at the base of my thoracic aorta . 診斷結果顯示我長了個大動脈瘤 位於胸腔主動脈
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) aneurysm:n.[内科]动脉瘤(等于aneurism); thoracic:adj.[解剖]胸的;[解剖]胸廓的; aorta:n.[解剖]主动脉;
This led to open-heart surgery . This is the actual real email from my doctor right there. 這表示我必須做開心手術這是當時醫生寫給我的 電子郵件正本
open-heart surgery:n.体外循环心脏手术;心脏直视手术;开心术;
Now, when I got this, I was -- press Caps Lock -- absolutely freaked out, okay? 當我收到這封信時我 -- 以下為粗黑體 -- 完全嚇壞了,明白嗎?
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
But I found surprising moments of comfort in the confidence that my surgeon embodied . 但令人意外地我卻感到慰藉 因為我的醫生展現出的自信
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; surgeon:n.外科医生; embodied:v.呈现(embody的过去式及过去分词形式);具体表达;
Where did this guy get this confidence, the audacity of it? 這個傢伙的自信從何而來?因為大膽嗎?
audacity:n.大胆;厚颜无耻;
So when I asked him, he told me three things. 因此當我請教他時他告訴我三件事
He said first, his curiosity drove him to ask hard questions about the procedure , about what worked and what didn't work. 他說,第一,好奇心驅使他 預設手術過程可能出現的一些棘手問題 何種方法可行而何種不可行
procedure:n.步骤;手术;(商业、法律或政治上的)程序;
Second, he embraced , and didn't fear, the messy process of trial and error, the inevitable process of trial and error. 第二,他勇於面對,而非畏懼 反覆試驗與挫敗的繁瑣過程 無法避免的反覆試驗過程
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式) messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
And third, through intense reflection , he gathered the information that he needed to design and revise the procedure, and then, with a steady hand, he saved my life. 第三,謹慎思考 並收集所需的資訊 藉此設計及修正手術流程 最後,懷著堅定的信心他救了我一命
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思; revise:v.修改;复习;改变;温习;n.校订;[印]再校样; steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣;
Now I absorbed a lot from these words of wisdom , and before I went back into the classroom that fall, 這些睿智的話語令我獲益匪淺 那年秋季回學校任職前
absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式) wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
I wrote down three rules of my own that I bring to my lesson planning still today. 我寫下自己的三原則 直到今天依然用於我的教學計畫中
Rule number one: Curiosity comes first. 第一項原則:好奇心是首要之事
Questions can be windows to great instruction, but not the other way around. 利用疑惑是卓越教學的手段 但不可本末倒置
Rule number two: Embrace the mess. 第二項原則:勇於面對繁瑣過程
We're all teachers. We know learning is ugly . 我們都是老師我們知道學習過程惹人厭
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
And just because the scientific method is allocated to page five of section 1.2 of chapter one of the one that we all skip, okay, trial and error can still be an informal part of what we do every single day at Sacred Heart Cathedral in room 206. 只因為有系統的讀書方法寫在 第一章第一節之二的第五頁 正好是我們略過不講的章節,對嗎? 試誤法仍是 我們每天會在聖心天主教學校 206 教室使用的不成文法則
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; allocated:v.拨…(给);划…(归);分配…(给);(allocate的过去式和过去分词) informal:adj.非正式的;不拘礼节的;通俗的;日常使用的; Cathedral:n.大教堂;
And rule number three: Practice reflection. 第三項原則:反覆思考
What we do is important. It deserves our care, but it also deserves our revision . 我們的作為十分重要理應小心謹慎 也理應不時修正
deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数) revision:n.[印刷]修正;复习;修订本;
Can we be the surgeons of our classrooms? 我們能否成為課堂中的外科醫生?
surgeons:n.外科医生;(surgeon的复数)
As if what we are doing one day will save lives. 彷彿我們的所作所為某天將救人一命
Our students our worth it. 學生值得我們付出
And each case is different. 因材施教
(Explosion) (爆炸聲)
All right. Sorry. 好,抱歉
The chemistry teacher in me just needed to get that out of my system before we move on. 身為化學老師的我必須發洩一下 才能繼續講課
So these are my daughters. 她們是我女兒
On the right we have little Emmalou -- Southern family. 右邊是小 Emmalou是南方家族名字
And, on the left, Riley . 左邊是 Riley
Riley:adj.生气的;
Now Riley's going to be a big girl in a couple weeks here. 幾週後Riley 將成為大女孩
She's going to be four years old, and anyone who knows a four-year-old knows that they love to ask, "Why?" 她即將邁入四歲 任何瞭解四歲孩子的人都知道 他們喜歡問「為什麼?」
Yeah. Why. 是的,為什麼
I could teach this kid anything because she is curious about everything. 我可以教這個孩子任何事 因為她對任何事都感到好奇
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
We all were at that age. 我們在那個年紀皆是如此
But the challenge is really for Riley's future teachers, the ones she has yet to meet. 但這對 Riley 未來的老師而言是極大的挑戰 她尚未謀面的老師
How will they grow this curiosity? 他們會如何培養這份好奇心?
You see, I would argue that Riley is a metaphor for all kids, and I think dropping out of school comes in many different forms -- to the senior who's checked out before the year's even begun or that empty desk in the back of an urban middle school's classroom. 你們知道我以 Rildy 比喻所有孩子 我認為輟學有許多不同原因: 例如學期開始前就輟學的高中生 或市區中學的教室後排空著的座位
metaphor:n.暗喻,隐喻;比喻说法; senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
But if we as educators leave behind this simple role as disseminators of content and embrace a new paradigm as cultivators of curiosity and inquiry, we just might bring a little bit more meaning to their school day , and spark their imagination . 但如果身為教育者的我們跳脫 知識傳播者這種單一的角色 採取嶄新的教學方式 栽培出好奇心與探索能力 我們或許能為他們的學校生活 帶來更多意義激發他們的想像力
leave behind:留下,丢下 content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; paradigm:n.范例;词形变化表; cultivators:n.耕者;栽培者;耕田机; school day:教学日;上课日; spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
Thank you very much. 十分感謝
(Applause) (掌聲)