返回首页

PeterOuko_2017G-_从死囚犯到法学毕业生_

I want to tell you a story about Manson . 我想给大家讲讲曼森的故事。
Manson:曼森;
Manson was this 28-year-old interior designer, a father to a loving daughter, and a son who found himself behind bars due to a broken-down judicial system. 曼森是个28岁的室内设计师, 育有一个可爱的女儿 和一个儿子, 他由于腐朽的司法系统 而身陷囹圄。
interior:n.内部;内陆;内地;里面;adj.内部的;里面的; behind bars:坐牢;在狱中;在监狱服刑;铁窗之后; broken-down:adj.故障的;衰弱的; judicial:adj.公正的,明断的;法庭的;审判上的;
He was framed for a murder he didn't commit and was sentenced to the gallows . 他被陷害一宗并不是 他犯下的谋杀罪, 并被判处绞刑。
framed:v.给…做框;给…镶边;制订;拟订;(frame的过去分词和过去式) commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; gallows:n.绞刑;绞刑架;承梁;
There were two victims of this murder -- the victim who actually died in the murder and Manson, who had been sentenced to prison for an offense which he did not commit. 这件谋杀案有两名受害者—— 真正死于谋杀案的死者, 还有曼森, 因为他不是作案人却被判入狱。
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; offense:n.犯罪,过错;进攻;触怒;引起反感的事物;
He was locked up in a cell, eight by seven, with 13 other grown-up men for 23 and a half hours a day. 他被关进一间牢房,8x7大, 还有另外13名成年男人, 每天关23个半小时。
Food was not guaranteed that you'd get. 食物没有保障。
guaranteed:adj.必然的; v.保证;
And I remember yesterday, as I walked into the room where I was, 我记得昨天, 在我走进我的房间时,
I imagined the kind of cell that Manson would have been living in. 我想象着曼森身处的那间牢房。
Because the toilet -- 因为厕所——
The row of the small rooms that were there were slightly bigger than the eight-by-seven cell. 那一排小隔间 比8x7的牢房还稍微大一点。
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
But being in that cell as he awaited the executioner -- because in prison, he did not have a name -- 但是当他在那间牢房里 等待行刑的时候—— 在监狱里,他没有名字——
awaited:等候;等待; executioner:n.刽子手,死刑执行人;
Manson was known by a number. 曼森是一个编号。
He was just a statistic . 他只是一个数字。
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的;
He did not know how long he would wait. 他不知道会等多久。
The wait could have been a minute, the executioner could have come the next minute, the next day, or it could have taken 30 years. 那等待可能是一分钟, 行刑可能下一分钟就会发生, 或者第二天, 又或者要等30年。
The wait had no end. 等待没有终点。
And in the midst of the excruciating pain, the mental torture , the many unanswered questions that Manson faced, he knew he was not going to play the victim. 而在曼森所面临的极度痛苦、 精神折磨、 许多悬而未决的问题中, 他知道他不会甘做受害者。
midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst); excruciating:adj.折磨人的;极痛苦的;极坏的;v.折磨;使受酷刑;(excruciate的现在分词) mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; torture:v.折磨;拷问;歪曲;n.折磨;拷问;歪曲; unanswered:adj.未答复的;无反应的;
He refused to play the role of the victim. 他拒绝扮演受害者的角色。
He was angry at the justice system that had put him behind bars. 他对那个把他关进监狱的 司法系统感到愤怒。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
But he knew the only way he could change that justice system or help other people get justice was not to play the victim. 但是他知道改变司法制度或 帮助别人伸张正义的唯一方法 就是不要扮演受害者。
Change came to Manson when he decided to embrace forgiveness for those who had put him in prison. 当曼森决定宽恕那些 把他送进监狱的人时, 他变了。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括; forgiveness:n.宽恕;原谅;宽宏大量
I speak that as a fact. 我说的这些是事实。
Because I know who Manson is. 因为我知道曼森是谁,
I am Manson. 我就是曼森。
My real name is Peter Manson Ouko. 我的全名是彼得·曼森·奥科。
And after my conviction , after that awakening of forgiveness, 在我定罪之后, 在宽恕的心觉醒之后,
conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定; awakening:n.醒悟; v.(使)醒来; adj.唤醒的;
I had this move to help change the system. 我开始行动 来帮助改变这个制度。
I already decided I was not going to be a victim anymore. 我已经决定自己不再做受害者了。
But how was I going to help change a system that was bringing in younger inmates every day who deserve to be with their families? 但是我怎样才能帮助 改变这个每天 把本应和家人在一起的 年轻人关进监狱的制度呢?
inmates:n.被收容者;居民(inmate的名词复数); deserve:vi.应受,应得;
So I started mobilizing my colleagues in prison, my fellow inmates, to write letters and memoranda to the justice system, to the Judicial Service Commission , the numerous task forces that had been set up in our country, Kenya, to help change the constitution . 于是我开始动员监狱里的 同事——我的狱友们 写信和备忘录给司法系统、 给司法服务委员会、 给我们的国家肯尼亚设立的 众多权力机构, 以帮助改变宪法。
mobilizing:v.组织;鼓动;动员;调动;调用;(mobilize的现在分词) colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); memoranda:n.备忘录(memorandum的复数); Commission:n.委员会;佣金;犯;委任;委任状;vt.委任;使服役;委托制作; numerous:adj.许多的,很多的; constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成;
And we decided to grasp at those -- to clutch at those trolls , if I may use that word -- if only to make the justice system work, and work for all. 我们决定抓住那些—— 如果我可以这么说:抓住那些稻草—— 只是为了让司法系统正常运转, 并且是为每一个人运转。
grasp:n.抓住;理解;控制;v.抓住;领会; clutch:n.离合器; v.攫; adj.没有手提带或背带的; trolls:n.山精,巨怪;v.曳绳钓(鱼);拖钓;搜查;(troll的复数和第三人称单数);
Just about the same time, 几乎在同一时间,
I met a young university graduate from the UK, called Alexander McLean. 我遇到一位来自英国的年轻大学生, 名叫亚历山大·麦克莱恩。
Alexander had come in with three or four of his colleagues from university in their gap year , and they wanted to help assist, set up a library in Kamiti Maximum Prison, which if you Google , you will see is written as one of the 15 worst prisons in the world. 亚历山大和三、四个大学同学 在空档年一起来到我们这, 他们想提供协助, 在卡米缇最高警戒监狱建立一个图书馆, 你可以用谷歌搜一下, 这监狱位列世界上最差的15个监狱。
gap year:n.空缺年(常指中学毕业后上大学前所休的一年假期,用于实习或旅游); Maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的; Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
That was then. 当时是这样。
But when Alexander came in, he was a young 20-year-old boy. 但亚历山大来时, 他还是个20岁的年轻男孩。
And I was on death row at that time. 那时我是死囚犯。
death row:n.死囚牢房;死囚区;
And we took him under our wing. 我们把他收到自己翼下。
It was an honest trust issue . 这是个诚信问题。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
He trusted us, even though we were on death row. 他信任我们,即使我们被判死罪。
And through that trust, we saw him and his colleagues from the university refurbish the library with the latest technology and set up the infirmary to very good standards so that those of us falling sick in prison would not necessarily have to die in indignity . 通过这种信任, 我们看到他和他的大学同学 用最新的技术来翻新图书馆, 并且把医务室建成很高的标准, 这样我们在监狱里生病的人 就不必毫无尊严地死去。
refurbish:vt.刷新;再磨光; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; infirmary:n.医务室;医院;养老院; standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数) necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; indignity:n.侮辱;轻蔑;有伤尊严;无礼举动;
Having met Alexander, 因为遇到亚历山大,
I had a chance, and he gave me the opportunity and the support, to enroll for a university degree at the University of London. 我得到一个契机, 是他给了我机会和支持, 去攻读伦敦大学的学士学位。
enroll:vt.登记;使加入;把...记入名册;使入伍;vi.参加;登记;注册;记入名册;
Just like Mandela studied from South Africa, 就像曼德拉在南非学习一样,
I had a chance to study at Kamiti Maximum Security Prison. 我获得了在卡米缇 最高警戒监狱学习的机会。
And two years later, 两年后,
I became the first graduate of the program from the University of London from within the prison system. 我成为伦敦大学的 第一个从监狱系统毕业的人。
Having graduated, what happened next -- 毕业后,接下来——
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Having graduated, now I felt empowered . 毕业了, 现在我觉得充满力量。
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
I was not going to play the helpless victim. 我不会去做无助的受害者。
helpless:adj.无助的;无能的;没用的;
But I felt empowered not only to assist myself, to prosecute my own case, but also to assist the other inmates who are suffering the similar injustices that have just been spoken about here. 而是我感到有力量去 不仅帮助自己, 对我自己的案件提起诉讼, 而且去帮助刚刚提到的那些 正在遭受类似的 不公正待遇的其他犯人。
prosecute:vt.检举;贯彻;从事;依法进行;vi.起诉;告发;作检察官; injustices:n.不公正;不讲道义;
So I started writing legal briefs for them. 于是我开始为他们 撰写案情摘要。
legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的;
With my other colleagues in prison, we did as much as we could. 我和监狱里其他人一起, 尽我们所能。
That wasn't enough. 这还不够。
Alexander McLean and his team at the African Prisons Project decided to support more inmates. 非洲监狱项目的亚历山大·麦克莱恩 决定支持更多的囚犯。
And as I'm speaking to you today, there are 63 inmates and staff in the Kenya Prison Service studying law at the University of London through distance learning . 到目前, 肯尼亚监狱系统有 63名囚犯和工作人员 通过远程学习 在伦敦大学攻读法律。
distance learning:n.远程教育;远程学习;
(Applause) (掌声)
These are changemakers who are being motivated not only to assist the most indolent in society, but also to help the inmates and others get access to justice. 他们是改革家, 他们的动力不仅是为了 帮助社会上最懒惰的人, 而且还帮助囚犯和其他人伸张正义。
changemakers:变革者;创革者;爱创家; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; indolent:adj.懒惰的;无痛的;
Down there in my prison cell, something kept stirring me. 在我那间牢房里, 有些东西不停地搅动着我。
stirring:adj.激动人心的; n.开始,出现,酝酿; v.搅动; (stir的现在分词)
The words of Martin Luther King kept hitting me. 马丁·路德·金的话一直在冲击我。
And he was always telling me, "Pete, if you can't fly, you can run. 他一直对我说,“彼得,如果你不能飞, 你可以跑。
And if you can't run, you can walk. 如果你不能跑, 你可以走。
But if you can't walk, then you can crawl . 如果你也不能走, 那么你可以爬。
crawl:v.爬;匍匐行进;(昆虫)爬行;缓慢行进;n.爬泳;缓慢的速度;自由泳;
But whatever it is, whatever it takes, just keep on moving." 但无论怎样,无论什么代价, 都要继续前进。”
And so I had this urge to keep moving. 所以我有这个冲动,一直前进。
I still have this urge to keep moving in whatever I do. 我现在仍然有这种冲动, 不管我做什么,持续前进。
Because I feel the only way we can change our society, the only way we can change the justice system -- which has really improved in our country -- is to help get the systems right. 因为我觉得,改变我们的 社会的唯一途径, 我们改变司法制度的唯一途径—— 我国的司法制度确实进步了—— 就是帮助纠正这个制度。
improved:adj.改良的:v.改进:改善(improve的过去分词和过去式)
So, on 26th October last year, after 18 years in prison, 去年10月26日, 在18年的监禁之后,
I walked out of prison on presidential pardon. 我获得总统赦免而出狱。
presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的;
I'm now focused on helping APP -- the African Prisons Project -- achieve its mandate of training and setting up the first law school and legal college behind bars. 我现在致力于帮助APP ——非洲监狱项目—— 实现培训和建立第一间监狱中的 法律学校和法学院的任务。
mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管;
Where we are going to train -- 我们将要培训——
(Applause) (掌声)
Where we are going to train inmates and staff not only to assist their fellow inmates, but to assist the entire wider society of the poor who cannot access legal justice. 我们要在那里培训 狱友和工作人员, 让他们不仅可以帮助其他狱友, 而且可以帮助那些 无法获得司法公正的 更广大的整个贫穷阶层。
So as I speak before you today, 所以,当我今天在你们面前演讲时,
I stand here in the full knowledge that we can all reexamine ourselves, we can all reexamine our situations, we can all reexamine our circumstances and not play the victim narrative . 我清楚知道,我们都可以重新审视自己, 我们都可以重新审视自己的状况, 我们都可以重新审视自己的环境, 而不去用受害者的身份讲故事。
reexamine:v.复试(审查); circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
The victim narrative will not take us anywhere. 受害者的故事对我们没有帮助。
I was behind bars, yeah. 我进过监狱,没错。
But I never felt and I was not a prisoner. 但我从来不认为自己是囚犯, 我不是囚犯。
The basic thing I got to learn was that if I thought, and if you think, you can, you will. 我学到的最基本的东西是, 如果我想, 如果你认为你可以, 你一定可以。
But if you sit thinking that you can't, you won't. 但是,如果你坐在那想着自己不能, 那你就不能。
It's as simple as that . 就这么简单。
as simple as that:那样简单;如此简单;就这麽简单;
And so I'm encouraged by the peaceful revolutionaries 我在这个舞台上听到的
revolutionaries:n.改革者;革命者;(revolutionary的复数)
I've heard on this stage. 和平的革命者们鼓舞着我。
The world needs you now, the world needs you today. 世界需要你, 现在,就今天。
And as I finish my talk, 我的演讲结束前,
I'd just like to ask each and every single one of you here, wonderful thinkers, changemakers, innovators , the wonderful global citizens we have at TED, just remember the words of Martin Luther King. 只想问问你们这里的每一个人, 精彩的思想家、改革家、创新者, 我们TED拥有的美好全球人民, 请记住马丁·路德·金的话。
innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式); global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
Let them continue ringing in your heart and your life. 让那些话一直在你的内心 和你的生活中响起。
Whatever it is, wherever you are, whatever it takes, keep on moving. 无论什么事, 无论你在哪里, 无论代价如何, 都要继续前进。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)