返回首页

PeterNorvig_2012U-_容纳十万人的教室_

Everyone is both a learner and a teacher. 每个人都既是学生 又是老师
This is me being inspired by my first tutor, my mom, and this is me teaching 这就是我当时被我 第一个导师所启蒙 我的妈妈 而这是我教授的
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence to 200 students at Stanford University. “人工智能入门”课程 给200多名学生 在斯坦福大学
Artificial Intelligence:n.人工智能;
Now the students and I enjoyed the class, but it occurred to me that while the subject matter of the class is advanced and modern, the teaching technology isn't. 学生和我都 非常享受这门课 但是我突然想到 虽说这门课的主题内容 是非常高级的 并且现代的 但是讲授方法却非如此
occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式) subject matter:n.题材; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
In fact, I use basically the same technology as this 14th-century classroom. 实际上,我基本上用了 和14世纪教师 一样的方法来上课
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Note the textbook, the sage on the stage , and the sleeping guy in the back. (Laughter) 课本上的笔记 站在讲台上的智者 以及正在后面 睡觉的学生
sage:n.圣人;贤人;哲人;adj.明智的;贤明的;审慎的; on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
Just like today. 就跟今天一样
So my co-teacher, 因此我的同科目老师
Sebastian Thrun, and I thought, there must be a better way. Sebastian Thrun和我认为 一定有一种更好的方法(来传授知识)
We challenged ourselves to create an online class that would be equal or better in quality to our Stanford class, but to bring it to anyone in the world for free. 我们挑战自我 决心去创建一个在线网上课程 这门课程将会和我们在 斯坦福的课程质量媲美甚至更好 而且还能给来自世界各地的人们 免费学习的机会
We announced the class on July 29th, and within two weeks, 50,000 people had signed up for it. 我们在7月29号宣布了这项课程 在两周之类,50000个人 已经报名参加了
And that grew to 160,000 students from 209 countries. 最后参加人数达到160,000个学生 各自从209个国家而来
We were thrilled to have that kind of audience, and just a bit terrified that we hadn't finished preparing the class yet. (Laughter) 我们实在是非常激动 去拥有这样的观众 而且还有点害怕因为 我们还没准备好课程安排呢……(笑声)
thrilled:adj.非常兴奋; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的过去分词和过去式)
So we got to work. 因此我们加劲工作
We studied what others had done, what we could copy and what we could change. 我们研究了其他人已经做过的东西 计划了哪些东西该继承和哪些需要改变
Benjamin Bloom had showed that one-on-one tutoring works best, so that's what we tried to emulate , like with me and my mom, even though we knew it would be one-on-thousands. Benjamin Bloom曾表明 一对一的家教效果最好 因此我们就准备这样模拟 就跟我和我妈妈一样 虽然我们都知道这实际将是 是一对数千人的课程
Bloom:v.盛开;开花;繁殖;繁盛;n.水华;风华正茂;霜;青春; one-on-one:adj.一对一的;直接对立的;adv.一对一;面对面;n.一对一的比赛; emulate:vt.仿真;模仿;尽力赶上;同…竞争;n.仿真;仿效;
Here, an overhead video camera is recording me as I'm talking and drawing on a piece of paper. 在这里,一个在头顶的摄像头 正在录制我 在纸上画画的方式讲课的过程
overhead:n.开销;经常费用;经常开支;adj.头上方的;地面以上的;adv.在头上方;在空中 video camera:n.摄像机;
A student said, "This class felt like sitting in a bar with a really smart friend who's explaining something you haven't grasped , but are about to ." 一个学生说:“这门课 就像是在酒吧和一个 很聪明的朋友坐着 这个朋友还会向你解释一些 你还不是很懂,但将要懂的东西
grasped:v.抓紧;抓牢;理解;领会;领悟;明白;(grasp的过去分词和过去式) are about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
And that's exactly what we were aiming for. 而这个效果就是我们想要达到的
Now, from Khan Academy , we saw that short 10-minute videos worked much better than trying to record an hour-long lecture and put it on the small-format screen. 现在,我们可以在Khan Academy看到 这些短短10分钟的视频 这些东西比那些在一个小屏幕 播放足足一小时的视频讲座 效果要好多了
Khan:n.可汗(对最高统治者的尊称);商队客店; Academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校; hour-long:一个小时时间; lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫
We decided to go even shorter and more interactive . 我们决定了把他们弄得再短些 更有互动性
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
Our typical video is two minutes, sometimes shorter, never more than six, and then we pause for a quiz question, to make it feel like one-on-one tutoring. 我们的视频一般来说大约2分钟长度 有时候更短,有时候比6分钟 长一点,然后我们暂停, 出一道小问答题,使它变得像 一对一的家教
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; quiz:n.小测验;知识竞赛;v.盘问;查问;询问;
Here, I'm explaining how a computer uses the grammar of English to parse sentences, and here, there's a pause and the student has to reflect , understand what's going on and check the right boxes before they can continue. 在这,我在解释一个电脑如何 理解英语语法 去解析一个句子,而在这儿呢 这里有一个暂停让学生来 回忆,理解刚才讲的是什么 然后在回到课程之前 选择正确的答案
parse:vt.解析;从语法上分析;vi.理解;从语法上分析;n.从语法上分析;分列; reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达;
Students learn best when they're actively practicing. 学生在积极主动参与时 获得的学习效果最好
We wanted to engage them, to have them grapple with ambiguity and guide them to synthesize the key ideas themselves. 我们想让他们参与其中,让他们消除 迷惑并且使他们去自己 总结这些关键的理念
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; grapple:v.扭打;搏斗;努力设法解决;n.格斗;紧握;抓机; ambiguity:n.含糊;不明确;暧昧;模棱两可的话; synthesize:vt.合成;综合;vi.合成;综合;
We mostly avoid questions like, "Here's a formula , now tell me the value of Y when X is equal to two." 像“这有个公式,现在 告诉当X是2的时候 Y值是多少” 我们通常不出这种问题
formula:n.公式; adj.(赛车)方程式的(指赛车要符合规定的体积,重量及汽缸容量等);
We preferred open-ended questions. 我们更喜欢开放性的问题
preferred:v.较喜欢;喜欢…多于…;(prefer的过去式和过去分词) open-ended:adj.开放式的;无限制的;自由回答的;两端未封闭的;
One student wrote, "Now I'm seeing 一个学生写到:“我总能看见
Bayes networks and examples of game theory everywhere I look." 贝叶斯网络和博弈论的例子 到处都是。”
Bayes:n.贝叶斯; game theory:n.博弈论;对策论;
And I like that kind of response . 我很喜欢那样的回馈
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
That's just what we were going for. 这正是我们所想实现的
We didn't want students to memorize the formulas; we wanted to change the way they looked at the world. 我们不想要学生去背公式 我们想去改变他们 看待世界的方式
memorize:v.记住;记忆;
And we succeeded. 最后我们成功了
Or, I should say, the students succeeded. 或者我应该说,学生们成功了
And it's a little bit ironic that we set about to disrupt traditional education, and in doing so, we ended up making our online class much more like a traditional college class than other online classes. 不过有点讽刺的是, 我们差点就破坏了传统式的教育 因为这原因,我们最后 将我们的在线课程做了调整 比起其他的在线课程来说, 这更像一个传统大学的课程
ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的; disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的; traditional:传统的,惯例的,
Most online classes, the videos are always available. 大多数在线课程的视频都是
You can watch them any time you want. 可以随便看的
But if you can do it any time, that means you can do it tomorrow, and if you can do it tomorrow, well, you may not ever get around to it. (Laughter) 但是如果你可以随时看, 那就以为你可以明天再看 而如果你可以明天看, 嗯…那你估计说不定 就不看了
get around to:抽出时间来做…;开始考虑做…;
So we brought back the innovation of having due dates. (Laughter) 因此呢我们带来的革新方式 就是有截止日期。(笑声)
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
You could watch the videos any time you wanted during the week, but at the end of the week, you had to get the homework done. 你可以观看这些视频 在这周的任何时候 但是在周末之前, 你必须得完成你的作业
This motivated the students to keep going, and it also meant that everybody was working on the same thing at the same time , so if you went into a discussion forum , you could get an answer from a peer within minutes. 这就会激励学生去不断地去学习, 这还意味着每个人都在 在相同的时间内学习相同的内容 当你进入一个讨论区的时候 你可以在几分钟内从你的同学中得到解答
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场; peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详;
Now, I'll show you some of the forums , most of which were self-organized by the students themselves. 现在,我要给你看几个这样的论坛, 大多数的这些讨论都是学生们自己组织的
forums:n.论坛; (forum的复数) self-organized:adj.自组织的;自发的;
From Daphne Koller and Andrew Ng, we learned the concept of " flipping " the classroom. 从Daphne Koller和Andrew Ng这里,我们学习到 关于如何“贯通”课程的的方法
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词)
Students watched the videos on their own, and then they come together to discuss them. 学生们先自己观看这些视频 然后他们再 聚集到一起进行讨论
From Eric Mazur, I learned about peer instruction, that peers can be the best teachers, because they're the ones that remember what it's like to not understand. 从Eric Mazur,我了解到了关于同学指导的观点 同伴可以成为最好的老师 因为他们了解类似处境的人 的遇到困难时是什么样子的
peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式);
Sebastian and I have forgotten some of that. 有些东西Sebastian和我都快忘记了
Of course, we couldn't have a classroom discussion with tens of thousands of students, so we encouraged and nurtured these online forums. 不过当然,我们没法 和成千上万的学生进行 课堂讨论 因此我们便鼓励和培养这些在线的讨论模式
nurtured:v.养育;培养;养护;支持(nurture的过去分词和过去式)
And finally , from Teach For America, 最后,从“Teach For America(为美国而执教)”这个项目中
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
I learned that a class is not primarily about information. 我学习到了上课不光是为了 知识的传授
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
More important is motivation and determination . 更重要的培养积极性和决心
motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; determination:n.测定;确定;决心;计算;
It was crucial that the students see that we're working hard for them and they're all supporting each other. 学生们应当理解到 我们在为他们努力而且他们自己 也在相互支持,这是很关键的
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
Now, the class ran 10 weeks, and in the end, about half of the 160,000 students watched at least one video each week, and over 20,000 finished all the homework, putting in 50 to 100 hours. 到目前为止,这个课程已经进行了10周了, 最后,一万六个学生中的一半都会 至少在每周看一个视频 而且超过两万人完成了他们的作业 投入了50-100个小时
They got this statement of accomplishment . 他们最后收获到了这个结业证明
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; accomplishment:n.成就;完成;技艺,技能;
So what have we learned? 那么我们又学到了什么呢?
Well, we tried some old ideas and some new and put them together, but there are more ideas to try. 我们用了一些旧的观念 和一些新的想法并且把他们结合在了一起 不过将来还有很多想法可以去尝试
Sebastian's teaching another class now. Sebastian正在教授另一个课程
I'll do one in the fall. 我在秋季也准备教授一个
Stanford Coursera, Udacity, MITx and others have more classes coming. 斯坦福的Coursera,Udacity,以及麻省理工的MITx 还有很多其他的课程也要推出
It's a really exciting time. 这真的非常激动人心
But to me, the most exciting part of it is the data that we're gathering. 不过对我来说,最激动人心的就是 是那些我们收集到的数据
We're gathering thousands of interactions per student per class, billions of interactions altogether, and now we can start analyzing that, and when we learn from that, do experimentations , that's when the real revolution will come. 我们收集了 上千次的互动记录,还有每个学生在每堂课中 共数十亿次的交流 我们现在可以开始分析这些数据 而当我们能从中探索到什么 并做些尝试时 真正的变革就会发生
interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词); experimentations:n.实验;试验;实验法;实验过程; revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
And you'll be able to see the results from a new generation of amazing students. 你就能够看到从新一代学生 身上的精湛成果
(Applause) (鼓掌喝彩)