|
|
PeterMolyneux_2010G-_演示米洛,虚拟男孩_
|
When I saw a piece of technology called Kinect -- it was called Natal -- I was inspired , and I thought for a moment, maybe it's possible to address that one problem of storytelling , to create a character which seemed alive, which noticed me, that could look me in the eyes and feel real, and sculpt a story about our relationship. |
当我了解到一项称为Kinect的新技术—— 原来叫做Natal——我有了灵感, 思考了一会儿, 也许可以 解决一个讲故事时会遇到的问题, 即创造一个 人 一个看起来活生生的 可以看到我, 可以看到我的内心深处 并且感觉很真实的人, 我们之间还能有点感情。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; Natal:adj.出生的;诞生的;分娩的;出生地的; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) storytelling:n.讲故事;说谎话;adj.讲故事的;说谎的; sculpt:vt.造型;雕刻;vi.造型;雕刻;n.雕刻品;
|
And so a year ago, |
所以一年之前 |
I showed this off at a computer show called E3. |
我在E3计算机展览上 展示了这个东西。 |
And this was a piece of technology with someone called Claire interacting with this boy. |
我们让克莱尔通过这项技术 同这个小男孩进行互动交流 |
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词)
|
And there was a huge row online about, "Hey, this can't be real." |
并且在互联网上引起了激烈的讨论 都说“嘿,这不可能吧。” |
And so I waited till now to have an actual demo of the real tech. |
所以我直到现在 才对这项崭新高科技 进行现场演示。 |
demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带;
|
Now, this tech incorporates three big elements . |
现在,这项高科技产品融合了 三项主要技术。 |
incorporates:组成公司; elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
|
The first is a Kinect camera, which will be out in November, some incredible AI that was hidden in the dusty vaults , collecting dust in Microsoft, plus our quite crude attempts at AI at a company called Lionhead, mixing all those things together just to get to this one simple idea: to create a real, living being in a computer. |
首先是Kinect摄像头, 将在11月推出上市, 还有令人难以置信的人工智能 隐藏在灰尘漫天的地下室里, 微软 把这些灰尘打扫, 再加上我们在 狮子头公司 人工智能方面的初步尝试, 把这些所有的东西合到一起 就得到了一个简单的想法: 在计算机里创造一个真实、生动 的生命体。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; dusty:adj.落满灰尘的; vaults:n.拱顶; v.给…盖以拱顶; crude:adj.粗略的;简略的;大概的;粗糙的;n.原油;石油; attempts:n.企图,试图;尝试(attempt的复数);v.试图;努力去做(attempt的三单形式); mixing:n.混合;混频;录音;v.混合,掺和,融合;调配;配制;相容;(mix的现在分词)
|
Now, I'll be honest with you and say that most of it is just a trick, but it's a trick that actually works. |
现在,我要诚实的告诉你 这其中的大多数 只是个戏法儿, 但这戏法儿确实有效 。 |
So why don't we go over and have a look at the demo now. |
现在,让我们一起过来 看看演示吧。 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
|
This is Dimitri. |
他是迪米特里。 |
Dimitri, just waggle your arm around. |
迪米特里,来回摆摆你的手。 |
waggle:vi.摇摆;不停地来回摇动;vt.摆动;来回摇动;n.摇摆;摆动;
|
Now, you notice he's sitting. |
请注意,他现在是坐着的。 |
There are no controllers , no keyboards, or mice, or joysticks , or joypads. |
没有用控制器, 没有键盘, 或者鼠标, 或者操纵杆和手柄。 |
controllers:n.[自]控制器(controller的复数形式);管理者;控制部件; joysticks:n.[航]操纵杆(joystick的复数);
|
He is just going to use his hand, his body and his voice, just like humans interact with their hands, body and voice. |
他只是正在用 他的手、身体和声音, 就像人与人之间用手、身体和声音交流一样。 |
So let's move forward. |
我们继续。 |
You're going to meet Milo for the first time. |
你现在是第一次遇到米洛。 |
We had to give him a problem because when we first created Milo, we realized that he came across as a little bit of a brat , to be honest with you. |
我们得给他设计个难题, 因为我们第一次创建米洛的时候, 发现他就像个小顽童一样 十分顽皮。 |
a little bit of a:一点点了; brat:n.乳臭未干的小孩;顽童;
|
He was quite a know-it-all , and he wanted to kind of make you laugh. |
他什么都知道, 并且很友善地逗你开心。 |
know-it-all:adj.自称无所不知的;n.假装博学多闻的人(等于knowall);
|
So the problem we introduced to him was this: he's just moved house. |
因此我们为他引入的问题是: 米洛刚刚搬了家。 |
He's moved from London to New England, over in America. |
他从伦敦 来到在美国的新英格兰。 |
His parents are too busy to listen to his problems, and that's when he starts almost conjuring you up. |
他的父母太忙了 没时间听他的困扰, 这时候,他的魔法就要开始了。 |
conjuring:n.魔术;关于魔术的;
|
So here he is walking through the grass. |
那么,他现在 正在草坪上散步。 |
And you're able to interact with his world. |
你还可以和他交流。 |
The cool thing is, what we're doing is we're changing the mind of Milo constantly . |
更酷的是,我们所做的事情 会不断地改变 米洛的思想。 |
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
|
That means no two people's Milos can be the same. |
这就意味着每个人的米洛 都是不同的。 |
Milos:n.米洛斯岛(希腊南部,基克拉迪群岛的主要岛屿之一);
|
You're actually sculpting a human being here. |
实际上在这里你是在塑造一个人。 |
sculpting:v.雕刻;雕塑;使具有某种形状;(sculpt的现在分词)
|
So, he's discovering the garden. |
嗯,他正在探索花园。 |
You're helping him discover the garden by just pointing out these snails . |
你得帮他找找看 点击那些蜗牛就行。 |
snails:n.[无脊椎]蜗牛; v.使成蜗纹;
|
Very simple at the start. |
开始非常简单。 |
By the way , if you are a boy, it's snails; if you're a girl, it's butterflies because what we found was that girls hate snails. |
顺便说一下,如果是男孩子,这就是蜗牛; 如果是女孩子,它会变成蝴蝶, 因为我们发现女孩子讨厌蜗牛。 |
By the way:顺便说一下;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So remember, this is the first time you've met him, and we really want to draw you in and make you more curious . |
记住,这是你第一次遇到米洛, 实际上我们希望这能吸引你,并引发你的好奇心。 |
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
|
His face, by the way, is fully AI-driven. |
另外,他的表情 是由人工智能驱动的。 |
We have complete control over his blush responses , the diameter of his nostrils to denote stress. |
我们完全可以控制他脸红的表情, 鼻孔的大小 来表现他承受的压力。 |
blush:v.脸红;涨红了脸;尴尬;n.面部泛起的红晕 responses:n.回答,答复;反应;响应;(response的复数) diameter:n.直径;对径;放大率;放大倍数; nostrils:n.[解剖]鼻孔(nostril的复数); denote:vt.表示,指示;
|
We actually do something called body matching. |
实际上我们用的是肢体工作追踪技术。 |
If you're leaning forward, he will try and slightly change the neuro-linguistic nature of his face, because we went out with this strong idea: how can we make you believe that something's real? |
如果你身体前倾, 他会试着稍微改变一下 他的脸部表情, 因为我们清楚知道我们所要做的是: 怎样做才能让你们相信这些都是真实的呢? |
leaning:n.倾向;偏向;爱好;v.前俯(或后仰);倾斜;倚靠;(lean的现在分词) slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
|
Now we've used the hand. |
之前我们已经用手进行了控制 |
The other thing to use is your body. |
现在还可以用身体。 |
Why not just, instead of pushing left and right with a mouse or with a joypad, why not use your body just to lean on the chair -- again, relaxed ? |
控制左右方向 可以用鼠标或操纵杆, 除此之外为什么不用身体呢? 这样更轻松一点吧。 |
relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式)
|
You can lean back, but the camera will change its perspective depending on which way you're looking. |
如果向后靠 摄像机就会改变视野 让你看到这个角度能看到的东西。 |
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
|
So Dimitri's now going to use -- he's used his hand; he's used his body. |
迪米特里现在是用 他之前已经用了手和身体来控制。 |
He's now going to use the other thing which is essential , and that's his voice. |
现在他要用另一种重要的方法进行控制了, 也就是他的声音。 |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
|
Now, the thing about voice is, our experience with voice recognition is pretty awful, isn't it? |
声音这东西, 语音识别系统带给我们的体验 一直不怎么样。 |
recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
|
It never works. |
从来没好使过。 |
You order an airline ticket; you end up in Timbuktu . |
订张机票,结果飞到提布图(非洲城市)去了。 |
airline:n.航空公司; Timbuktu:n.遥远的地方;
|
So we've tackled that problem, and we've come up with a solution , which we'll see in a second . |
这个问题我们已经解决, 马上就会看到我们的成果。 |
tackled:v,解决,处理,对付;(tackle的过去式和过去分词) come up with:提出;想出;赶上; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; in a second:立刻,很快;
|
Milo: I could just squish it. |
米洛:我可以踩扁它。 |
squish:n.咯吱声;挤扁;vt.压扁;把...挤扁;vi.发出嘎吱声;
|
Peter Molyneux: What are you going to do, Dimitri? |
彼得·莫利纽克斯:你打算怎么做呢,迪米特里? |
Female Voice: Squashing a snail may not seem important, but remember, even this choice will affect how Milo develops. |
女性声音:踩扁蜗牛没什么大不了的, 但请记住,每一次选择 都会影响米洛的成长。 |
Female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; Squashing:vt.把…压碎; vi.被压扁;
|
Do you want Milo to squash it? |
你想让米洛踩扁它吗? |
When you see the microphone , say ... (PM: Squash.) ... yes to decide. |
当你看到麦克风时, 就说出...(彼得:踩吧)...你的选择。 |
microphone:n.麦克风;传声器;话筒;
|
Dimitri: Go on, Milo. Squash it. |
迪米特里:米洛,去踩扁它。 |
PM: No. That's the wrong thing to do. |
彼得:不要吧,这样不好。 |
Now look at his response. |
现在我们看他的反应。 |
He said, "Go on, Milo. Squash it." |
迪米特里说“米洛,去踩扁它”, |
What we're using there is, we're using something, a piece of technology called Tellme. |
这里我们用的是, 我们用了一种叫做Tellme的新科技。 |
It's a company that Microsoft acquired some years ago. |
这是微软前几年收购的一家公司的技术。 |
acquired:adj.习得的; v.获得; (acquire的过去分词和过去式)
|
We've got a database of words which we recognize . |
我们已经为能辨认的字符建立了数据库。 |
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
|
We pick those words out. |
把那些字挑出来。 |
We also reference that with the tonation database that we build up of Dimitri's voice, or the user's voice. |
我们也参考了 我们为迪米特里 或者是其他用户的声音 建立的语音数据库。 |
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用;
|
Now we need to have a bit more engagement , and again, what we can do is we can look at the body. |
现在我们需要多一点的交流。 同样的,我们能做的 就是用身体来交流。 |
engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
|
And we'll do that in a second. |
马上就要这么做了。 |
Milo: I wonder how deep it is. |
米洛:我想知道它有多深。 |
Deep. |
挺深的。 |
PM: Okay. So what we're going to do now is teach Milo to skim stones. |
彼得:好,下面我们要做的 就是教米洛打水漂儿。 |
skim:v.浏览; n.撇去浮沫; adj.撇去奶油的;
|
We're actually teaching him. |
真的要教他打哦。 |
It's very, very interesting that men, more than women, tend to be more competitive here. |
特别,特别有意思 比起女人,男人们 在这儿更显得争强好胜。 |
competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的;
|
They're fine with teaching Milo for the first few throws, but then they want to beat Milo, where women, they're more nurturing about this. |
他们会好好的教米洛开始的几次, 但之后就想打败他。 而女人们 则教导有方。 |
nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词)
|
Okay, this is skimming stones. |
嗯,这就是打水漂儿游戏。 |
skimming:n.浮渣;撇取的奶油;v.略读;撇去;(使)掠过;浏览;(skim的现在分词)
|
How do you skim stones? |
怎么打呢? |
You stand up, and you skim the stone. |
先站起来, 扔出石头。 |
It's that simple. |
挺简单的。 |
Just recognizing your body, recognizing the body's motions, the tech, understanding that you've gone from sitting down to standing up. |
先要进行人体识别, 这项技术先要识别人体的动作, 知晓你已经 从坐姿变为站姿。 |
recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词)
|
Again, all of this is done in the way us humans do things, and that's crucially important if we want Milo to appear real. |
再来一回,扔石头 的方式和我们平时做的一样 这一点十分重要 因为我们想让米洛显得更加真实。 |
in the way:妨碍;挡道; crucially:adv.关键地;至关重要地;
|
Female Voice: See if you can inspire him to do any better. |
女性声音:再试试,看能不能教米洛做的更好。 |
Try hitting the boat. |
试试看能不能打到船那 |
Milo: Ahhh. So close. |
米洛:啊,就差一点点。 |
PM: That's Dimitri at his most competitive. |
彼得:迪米特里开始争强好胜了。 |
Now beaten an 11-year-old child. Well done . |
好样的,他击败了这个11岁的男孩子。 |
Well done:好样的,干得好;
|
Milo: Okay. |
米洛:好吧。 |
PM: So, Milo's being called back in by his parents, giving us time to be alone and to help him out. |
彼得:现在米洛的父母要叫他回家吃饭了, 留给我们的是独处的时间 还可以帮帮他。 |
Basically -- the bit that we missed at the start -- his parents had asked him to clean up his room. |
其实——开始的时候我们忘说了—— 他父母已经让他整理自己的房间。 |
Basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
And we're going to help him with this now. |
我们现在去帮帮他。 |
But this is going to be an introduction, and this is all about the deep psychology that we're trying to use. |
收拾房子可以当作自我介绍, 这些我们都试着在用一些深层次的心理学技术。 |
psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
|
We're trying to introduce you to what I believe is the most wonderful part, you being able to talk in your natural voice to Milo. |
现在我就要向你们介绍 我认为最神奇的部分, 你可以用自己平日里说话的方式 和米洛进行交谈。 |
Now, to do that, we needed a set up, like a magician's trick. |
这之前我们需要准备一下, 像魔法一样。 |
And what we did was, we needed to give Milo this big problem. |
并且之前 我们给米洛准备了个大麻烦。 |
So as Dimitri starts tidying up, you can overhear a conversation that Milo's having with his parents. |
所以当迪米特里 收拾东西的时候, 你能隐约听见一些声音 是米洛和他妈妈。 |
tidying:v.使整洁;使整齐;整理(tidy的现在分词) overhear:vt.偶然听到;无意中听到
|
Milo's Mom: Oh, you've got gravy all over the floor. (Milo: I didn't mean to!) |
米洛妈妈:噢~你把肉汁弄得地板上哪儿都是。(米洛:我不是故意的!) |
Milo's Mom: That carpet is brand new . |
米洛妈妈:地毯是新的啊。 |
carpet:n.地毯;v.用地毯铺(房间的)地板; brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
|
PM: So he's just spilled a plate of sausages on the floor, on the brand-new carpet. |
彼得:他刚刚把 一盘香肠倒在了地板上, 在新买的地毯上。 |
spilled:v.(使)洒出,泼出:涌出:蜂拥而出;(spill的过去分词和过去式) sausages:香肠,腊肠(sausage的复数) brand-new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
|
We've all done it as parents; we've all done it as children. |
身为父母的我们都这样训斥过,而小时候我们也都犯过这样的错。 |
Now's a chance for Dimitri to kind of reassure and calm Milo down. |
现在迪米特里 要趁机安慰米洛并让他冷静下来。 |
reassure:vt.使…安心,使消除疑虑;
|
It's all been too much for him. |
这一切对他来说太沉重了。 |
He's just moved house. He's got no friends. |
他刚搬了家,又没朋友, |
Now is the time when we open that portal and allow you to talk to Milo. |
当我们打开房门 就是时候 让你和米洛聊聊了。 |
portal:n.大门,入口;
|
Female Voice: Why don't you try saying something encouraging to cheer Milo up. |
女性声音:说点什么鼓励米洛 让他振作一点吧。 |
Dimitri: Come on, Milo. You know what parents are like. |
迪米特里:算啦,米洛。父母都是这样,你懂的。 |
They're always getting stressed. |
他们总是生气。 |
Milo: What do they want to come here for anyway? |
米洛:他们搬来这里想要干什么? |
We don't know anyone. |
我们谁都不认识。 |
Dimitri: Well, you've got a new school to go to. |
迪米特里:嗯,你可以去新学校啊。 |
You're going to meet loads of cool, new friends. |
你会遇到一些很酷的新朋友。 |
Milo: I just really miss my old house, that's all. |
米洛:可我就是想原来的家。 |
Dimitri: Well, this is a pretty awesome house, Milo. |
迪米特里:嗯,这个房子也不错啊,米洛。 |
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
|
You've got a cool garden to play in and a pond . |
现在有一个很棒的花园,还有池塘。 |
pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
|
Milo: It was good skimming stones. |
米洛:打水漂儿确实不错。 |
This looks nice. |
房间干净了。 |
You cleaned up my room. |
你打扫了我的房间。 |
Thanks. |
谢谢。 |
PM: So after three-quarters of an hour, he recognizes you. |
彼得:45分钟之后, 米洛就认识你了。 |
three-quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三; recognizes:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的第三人称单数)
|
And I promise you, if you're sitting in front of this screen, that is a truly wonderful moment. |
我保证,如果你一直坐在屏幕前面, 那这真的是非常美妙的时刻。 |
And we're ready now to tell a story about his childhood and his life, and it goes on, and he has, you know, many adventures. |
现在我们准备好 要讲述米洛童年和生活的故事了, 而且还会继续下去, 你懂的,他有过很多冒险经历。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
Some of those adventures are a little bit dark or on the darker side. |
有一些是去做一点点坏事。 |
Some of those adventures are wonderfully encouraging -- he's got to go to school. |
有一些则很鼓舞人心。 比如他去上学。 |
wonderfully:adv.精彩地;惊人地;极好地;
|
The cool thing is that we're doing as well: as you interact with him, you're able to put things into his world; he recognizes objects. |
最酷的是 当你和他互动的时候, 我们也会参与其中, 你可以放一些东西进入他的世界,并且他能认得那些东西。 |
His mind is based in a cloud. |
他的想法还是朦胧的。 |
That means Milo's mind, as millions of people use it, will get smarter and cleverer. |
这意味着, 只要有许多人玩这个游戏, 米洛就会越来越聪明。 |
He'll recognize more objects and thus understand more words. |
他会认识更多的东西, 学到更多的文字。 |
But for me, this is a wonderful opportunity where technology, at last, can be connected with, where I am no longer restrained by the finger I hold in my hand -- as far as a computer game's concerned -- or by the blandness of not being noticed if you're watching a film or a book. |
但对于我来说, 这是一个很好的机会 让我们最终把科技和人类连在一起, 我不再被手掌上的 手指束缚—— 目前许多电脑游戏都是这样—— 看电影或者看书的时候 也不会因为没人觉察而感到无聊。 |
restrained:adj.克制的,受限制的;拘谨的;v.抑制;约束;(restrain的过去分词和过去式) as far as:至于…; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) blandness:n.爽快;温柔;
|
And I love those revolutions , and I love the future that Milo brings. |
我爱这些改变, 我爱米洛带来的未来。 |
revolutions:n.革命,转数(revolution的复数形式);
|
Thank you very much indeed. |
十分感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |