返回首页

PeterCalthorpe_2017-_建设更好城市的七条原则_

So, let me add to the complexity of the situation we find ourselves in. 让我们来整理一下思绪, 看看我们所处的复杂情况。
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
At the same time that we're solving for climate change, we're going to be building cities for three billion people. 在我们解决气候变化问题的同时, 我们还要建造 供三十亿人口居住的城市。
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
That's a doubling of the urban environment. 这将是我们目前城市规模的两倍。
urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
If we don't get that right, 这件事如果我们没做好,
I'm not sure all the climate solutions in the world will save mankind , because so much depends on how we shape our cities: not just environmental impacts , but our social well-being , our economic vitality , our sense of community and connectedness . 我不确定全球的气候变化解决方案 能否拯救人类, 因为这在很大程度上 取决于我们如何建造我们的城市: 不仅是对环境的冲击, 还有我们的社会福利, 经济活力, 我们对于社区和交流的感受。
mankind:n.人类;男性; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; well-being:n.幸福;康乐; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; vitality:n.活力,生气;生命力,生动性; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; connectedness:n.[数]连通性;
Fundamentally , the way we shape cities is a manifestation of the kind of humanity we bring to bear. 从根本上说,我们建造城市的方式 体现了我们的人性。
Fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 manifestation:n.表现;显示;示威运动; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
And so getting it right is, I think, the order of the day. 因此我认为,把这件事情做好, 是我们的当务之急。
And to a certain degree, getting it right can help us solve climate change, because in the end, it's our behavior that seems to be driving the problem. 从某种意义上来说, 做好这件事有助于解决气候变化问题, 因为归根结底, 是我们的行为造成了气候问题。
The problem isn't free-floating , and it isn't just ExxonMobil and oil companies. 气候问题并不是孤立的, 不仅仅因为埃克森美孚 或者其他石油公司。
free-floating:adj.可自由活动的;独立的;
It's us; how we live. 原因在于我们,我们的生活方式。
How we live. 我们如何生活。
There's a villain in this story. 这个故事里有一个坏人。
villain:n.坏人,恶棍;戏剧,小说中的反派角色;顽童;罪犯;
It's called sprawl , and I'll be upfront about that. 它的名字叫城市蔓延, 我会实话实说。
sprawl:vi.蔓延; vt.懒散地伸开; n.蔓生; upfront:adj.预付的;在前面的;正直的,坦率的;adv.在前面;提前支付(工资);
But it's not just the kind of sprawl you think of, or many people think of, as low-density development out at the periphery of the metropolitan area. 但它并不是你们大家, 或者许多人想象的那样, 是低密度发展的, 位于大城市边缘地带的。
low-density:adj.低密度的; periphery:n.外围,边缘;圆周;圆柱体表面; metropolitan:adj.大都市的;大主教辖区的;宗主国的;n.大城市人;大主教;宗主国的公民;
Actually, I think sprawl can happen anywhere, at any density. 实际上,我觉得……这样杂乱无序地拓展 会在任何地区以不同的密度发生。
The key attribute is that it isolates people. 它的主要特色就是 隔离了人与人之间的距离。
attribute:n.属性;象征;v.把…归因于;认为…属于;认为某人(某物)具有某种特性; isolates:n.孤立者; v.孤立(isolate的第三人称单数);
It segregates people into economic enclaves and land-use enclaves. 它将人们装进一块块经济飞地 和土地利用飞地。
segregates:v.隔开; adj.分离的; (segregate的第三人称单数); enclaves:飞地; land-use:土地利用;
It separates them from nature. 将他们同自然隔离开。
It doesn't allow the cross-fertilization, the interaction , that make cities great places and that make society thrive . 不允许跨族通婚, 不允许交流, 而这些恰恰是使城市变得伟大 让社会繁荣发展的因素。
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰; thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
So the antidote to sprawl is really what we all need to be thinking about, especially when we're taking on this massive construction project. 因此我们都要来考虑 城市蔓延的解药, 尤其是当我们 要建设如此大的项目的时候。
antidote:n.[药]解毒剂;解药;矫正方法; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
So let me take you through one exercise. 让我来举一个例子。
We developed the model for the state of California so they could get on with reducing carbon emissions . 我们为加利福尼亚州设计了一个模型, 来降低碳排放量。
get on with:v.在…获得成功,于…友好相处;继续干; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
We did a whole series of scenarios for how the state could grow, and this is just one overly simplified one. 我们设想了一系列 加州会如何发展的场景, 而这只是一个极度简化的模型。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; scenarios:n.情节;脚本;情景介绍(scenario的复数); overly:adv.过度地;极度地; simplified:v.简化; (simplify的过去式)
We mixed different development prototypes and said they're going to carry us through the year 2050, 10 million new crew in our state of California. 我们将不同的发展模型溷合到一起, 假设它一直发展到2050年, 加利福尼亚州增加了一千万人口。
prototypes:n.原型;技术原型;雏型;
And one was sprawl. 其中一种就是蔓延。
It's just more of the same: shopping malls, subdivisions , office parks. 跟现在的情况差不多: 购物中心、土地分割、 办公园区。
subdivisions:n.细分;再分成的部分;住宅小区(subdivision的复数);
The other one was dominated by, not everybody moving to the city, but just compact development, what we used to think of as streetcar suburbs , walkable neighborhoods, low-rise , but integrated , mixed-used environments. 另外一种情况, 并不是所有人都涌向城市, 而是一种集约的发展, 比如通有轨电车的郊区, 方便散步的社区, 建筑物的层高不高, 但整体集约发展、综合使用的环境。
dominated:v.支配;控制;左右;影响;(dominate的过去式和过去分词) compact:n.合同,契约;小粉盒;adj.紧凑的,紧密的;简洁的;vt.使简洁;使紧密结合; streetcar:n.有轨电车; suburbs:n.郊外(suburb的复数); walkable:adj.适于步行的;可以走去的; low-rise:adj.不高的;(建筑物)层数少的; integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词)
And the results are astounding . 最后的结果令人震惊。
astounding:adj.令人震惊的;使大吃一惊的;v.使震惊;使大惊;(astound的现在分词)
They're astounding not just for the scale of the difference of this one shift in our city-making habit but also because each one represents a special interest group , 这样城市设计习惯上的一点改变 不仅造成城市间规模上的差异, 更因为每一种类型 都代表了一个特殊利益群体,
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) special interest group:n.(尤指对政府施压的)特别利益集团;
a special interest group that used to advocate for their concerns one at a time . 而造成了这些群体 只关注自己眼前的利益, 而无长远的计画。
advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式); one at a time:每次一个;一次一个;
They did not see the, what I call, "co-benefits" of urban form that allows them to join with others. 他们看不到城市形态带来的好处, 我称之为“共赢利益”, 可以让他们彼此融合。
So, land consumption : environmentalists are really concerned about this, so are farmers; there's a whole range of people, and, of course, neighborhood groups that want open space nearby . 因此,土地消耗问题, 环保主义者很关心, 还有农民, 还有很多人 社区团体想开放临近的空间。
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨; environmentalists:n.环保人士;环保主义者;(environmentalist的复数形式) concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近;
The sprawl version of California almost doubles the urban physical footprint . 加利福尼亚州的蔓延版本 几乎将城市足迹扩大了一倍。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; footprint:n.足迹;脚印;
Greenhouse gas : tremendous savings , because in California, our biggest carbon emission comes from cars, and cities that don't depend on cars as much obviously create huge savings. 温室气体排放大幅下降, 因为在加州, 碳排放的最大来源是汽车, 如果城市不再像以往一样依赖汽车, 当然会降低排放。
Greenhouse gas:n.温室气体(尤指二氧化碳); tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数)
Vehicle miles traveled: that's what I was just talking about. 汽车的行驶里程, 就是我刚刚提到的。
Vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
Just reducing the average 10,000 miles per household per year, from somewhere in the mid-26,000 per household, has a huge impact not just on air quality and carbon but also on the household pocketbook . 每户每年平均下降了10000英里, 有些地方甚至达到 每户两万六千多英里, 这不仅大幅改善 空气质量,降低碳排放, 对节省家庭开支也大有好处。
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; air quality:n.空气质量; pocketbook:n.钱包;笔记本;经济来源;皮夹;
It's very expensive to drive that much, and as we've seen, the middle class is struggling to hold on. 因为开车真的非常贵, 我们能看到, 中产阶级都有点无力承担。
middle class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的;
Health care : we were talking about how do you fix it once we broke it -- clean the air. 关于医疗,我们以前谈论的是, 一旦出了问题我们该如何补救, 改善空气质量。
Health care:n.卫生保健;
Why not just stop polluting? 那为什么不停止污染它呢?
Why not just use our feet and bikes more? 为什么不多走路和骑自行车呢?
And that's a function of the kinds of cities that we shape. 这也是我们要打造的城市 所拥有的功能。
Household costs: 2008 was a mark in time, not of just the financial industry running amok . 家庭开支。 2008年是个里程碑, 不仅金融业失去控制。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; amok:adv.狂乱地;杀人狂地;adj.杀人狂的;狂乱的;
It was that we were trying to sell too many of the wrong kind of housing: large lot, single family, distant , too expensive for the average middle-class family to afford and, quite frankly, not a good fit to their lifestyle anymore. 我们的住房供应方向也不正确: 大地块,独门独户,遥远的距离, 一般中产阶级根本负担不起, 更明显的一点是, 不再符合他们的生活方式。
distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; middle-class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
But in order to move inventory , you can discount the financing and get it sold. 但为了清理积压房产, 你可以低价出售。
inventory:n.存货,存货清单;详细目录;财产清册; discount:n.折扣;vt.低估;打折扣;打折出售
I think that's a lot of what happened. 我想这种情况很常见。
Reducing cost by 10,000 dollars -- remember, in California the median is 50,000 -- this is a big element . 减少1万美元的支出—— 不要忘记,加州中产阶级 的收入是5万—— 这是很大的份额。
median:n.n.中值,中位数;三角形中线;梯形中位线;adj.中值的;中央的; element:n.元素;要素;原理;成分;自然环境;
That's just cars and utility costs. 这还只是车辆和水电气的支出。
utility:n.公用事业;实用;实用程序;adj.多用途的;多效用的;
So the affordable housing advocates , who often sit off in their silos separate from the environmentalists, separate from the politicians , everybody fighting with everyone, now begin to see common cause, and I think the common cause is what really brings about the change. 所以那些经济适用房的倡导者, 往往自己有房住, 将我们把环保主义者与 政治家有系统性的隔离, 造成大家谁也不让谁, 现在共同的恶果开始体现出来了。 但我认为就是这样的原因, 才能带来真正的变革。
affordable:adj.负担得起的; advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数); silos:n.筒仓;粮仓;贮仓(silo的复数); politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
Los Angeles, as a result of these efforts, has now decided to transform itself into a more transit-oriented environment. 洛杉矶,由于这些努力的结果, 决定将自己转型为 一个以公共交通导向的环境。
as a result:结果; transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
As a matter of fact , since '08, they've voted in 400 billion dollars of bonds for transit and zero dollars for new highways. 实际上,从2008年开始, 洛杉矶就投票表决将4000亿美元 的债券拿来建设公共交通, 但建设高速公路的预算是零。
As a matter of fact:事实上; transit:n.运输;经过;v.运送;经过;
What a transformation : 转变是巨大的:
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
LA becomes a city of walkers and transit, not a city of cars. 洛杉矶成为了一座散步 和公共交通之城, 而不是汽车城。
(Applause) (掌声)
How does it happen? 怎么做到的呢?
You take the least desirable land, the strip , you add where there's space, transit and then you infill mixed-use development, you satisfy new housing demands and you make the existing neighborhoods all around it more complex, more interesting, more walkable. 把那些人们最不喜欢的车道 放上公交系统, 然后加上多功能的开发区, 满足人们新的住房需求, 建设令人兴奋的社区, 更加综合性, 更加有趣,更适合步行。
desirable:adj.令人满意的;值得要的;n.合意的人或事物; strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的; infill:vt.填实,填入;n.填充物,填实物; mixed-use:n.混合使用;混合用途; satisfy:vt.满足(要求,需要等):使满意:使确信:
Here's another kind of sprawl: 还有另一种蔓延方式,
China, high-density sprawl, what you think of as an oxymoron , but the same problems, everything isolated in superblocks, and of course this amazing smog that was just spoken to. 在中国,高密度的, 你们也许会觉得这有点矛盾, 但问题是同样的, 大家在超级小区里互相隔离, 当然还有刚才提到过的雾霾。
high-density:adj.高密度的; oxymoron:n.(修词中的)矛盾修饰法; isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离;
Twelve percent of GDP in China now is spent on the health impacts of that. 中国GDP总量的12% 被用在处理雾霾带来的健康问题。
The history, of course, of Chinese cities is robust . 毫无疑问,中国城市的 发展非常迅勐。
robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的;
It's like any other place. 跟其他任何地方一样。
Community was all about small, local shops and local services and walking, interacting with your neighbors. 所谓社区,应该有小店铺, 本地化的服务,可以散步, 与邻居互动。
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词)
It may sound utopian , but it's not. 听起来不切实际, 但并非遥不可及。
utopian:adj.乌托邦的;空想的;理想化的;n.空想家;乌托邦的居民;
It's actually what people really want. 这正是人们真正想要的。
The new superblocks -- these are blocks that would have 5,000 units in them, and they're gated as well, because nobody knows anybody else. 新的超级小区—— 可能有5000户人家住在里面, 大家都门户紧闭,互不相识。
And of course, there isn't even a sidewalk , no ground floor shops -- a very sterile environment. 当然,也没有 散步步道,没有底层商铺, 非常无趣的环境。
sidewalk:n.人行道; ground floor:n.底层; sterile:adj.不育的;无菌的;贫瘠的;不毛的;枯燥乏味的;
I found this one case here in one of the superblocks where people had illicitly set up shops in their garages so that they could have that kind of local service economy . 我在其中一个超级小区中 发现了一件事, 人们在自家车库私自开了商店, 这样他们就能获得本地化服务。
illicitly:adv.违法地;不正当地;禁止地; garages:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;vt.把…送入车库; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
The desire of people to get it right is there. 人们想让都市更美好的 需求就摆在那儿。
We just have to get the planners on board and the politicians. 我们只是需要让规划者 和政治家意识到。
planners:n.规划师;规划人员(planner的复数);计划人员;
All right. Some technical planning stuff . 好的,下面是一些 规划技术层面的内容。
technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
Chongqing is a city of 30 million people. 重庆是一座拥有3000万人口的城市。
It's almost as big as California. 几乎跟加州一样多。
This is a small growth area. 这是一个小的开发区。
They wanted us to test the alternative to sprawl in several cities across China. 他们想让我们在中国的一些城市中 测试城市蔓延的替代方案。
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
This is for four-and-a-half million people. 这里将会有450万人口。
What the takeaway from this image is, every one of those circles is a walking radius around a transit station -- massive investment in metro and BRT, and a distribution that allows everybody to work within walking distance of that. 这幅图里最重要的一点是, 每一个圆圈代表的是步行的区域, 圆心位置是公共交通系统, 他们投入大量资金 建设地铁和快速公交, 并且合理分布, 每一个人都可以步行上班。
radius:n.半径,半径范围;[解剖]桡骨;辐射光线;有效航程; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销;
The red area, this is a blow-up . 红色的区域,就更厉害了。
blow-up:n.单相交;发脾气;放大;
All of a sudden , our principles called for green space preserving the important ecological features. 一夜之间,所有的设计原则 全转向诉求绿色空间 以及保护生态特征。
All of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) preserving:n.保留,保存; ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的;
And then those other streets in there are auto-free streets. 其它的街道都是禁止车辆通行的。
So instead of bulldozing , leveling the site and building right up to the river, this green edge was something that really wasn't normative in China until these set of practices began experimentation there. 他们并没有推平岸边的树木, 或把房子建到河边, 而是将以往并不常见的 绿化带观念带进中国, 从我们在这片区域 做实验性的行动就开始进行了。
bulldozing:v.(用推土机)推倒,铲平;强行通过;强迫(bulldoze的现在分词) leveling:n.[测]水准测量; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址; normative:adj.规范的,标准的; experimentation:n.实验;试验;
The urban fabric , small blocks, maybe 500 families per block. 这里的城市结构,是小区块的, 每个区块可能有500户人家。
fabric:n.织物;布料;(社会,机构等的)结构;
They know each other. 他们相互认识。
The street perimeter has shops so there's local destinations. 街道两旁有商店, 居民有地方可去。
perimeter:n.周长;周界;[眼科]视野计;
And the streets themselves become smaller, because there are more of them. 街道变小了, 因为数量增加了。
Very simple, straightforward urban design. 非常简单, 直接的城市设计理念。
straightforward:adj.简单的;坦率的;明确的;径直的;adv.直截了当地;坦率地;
Now, here you have something I dearly love. 还有一点我非常喜欢。
dearly:adv.深深地;昂贵地;
Think of the logic. 想象一下。
If only a third of the people have cars, why do we give 100 percent of our streets to cars? 如果只有三分之一的人有车, 那我们为什么要 把街道的使用权全部给车呢?
What if we gave 70 percent of the streets to car-free , to everybody else, so that the transit could move well for them, so that they could walk, so they could bike? 如果我们把70%的街道 让给步行街,让给行人, 这样公共交通就能更好地提供服务, 他们可以选择步行,选择骑车。
What if:如果…怎么办? car-free:无车;无車;无车的;
Why not have -- 为什么不……
(Applause) (掌声)
geographic equity in our circulation system? 建立一个土地使用平等的 交通系统?
geographic:adj.地理的;地理学的; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值; circulation:n.流通,传播;循环;发行量;
And quite frankly, cities would function better. 显而易见,城市会运行得更好。
No matter what they do, no matter how many ring roads they build in Beijing, they just can't overcome complete gridlock . 在北京,无论采取什么措施, 无论修多少环线, 他们都无法解决堵车问题。
No matter what:不管什么…; overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; gridlock:vi.交通阻塞;n.僵局;极端严重的全面交通壅塞;
So this is an auto-free street, mixed use along the edge. 这是一条步行街, 两边是综合利用区。
It has transit running down the middle. 中间有公交系统。
I'm happy to make that transit autonomous vehicles , but maybe I'll have a chance to talk about that later. 我很乐意看到公交系统 使用无人驾驶车辆, 但也许过一会我们再来讨论这个问题。
autonomous:adj.自治的;自主的;自发的; vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
So there are seven principles that have now been adopted by the highest levels in the Chinese government, and they're moving to implement them. 目前有七项原则, 已经被中国政府最高层所接受, 他们准备要付诸实施了。
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词); implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具;
And they're simple, and they are globally, I think, universal principles. 这些原则很简单, 我觉得对其他国家也适用。
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
One is to preserve the natural environment, the history and the critical agriculture. 第一条就是保护自然环境,保护历史, 保护关键性的农业。
preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
Second is mix. 第二条是溷合发展。
Mixed use is popular, but when I say mixed, 溷合利用很流行,我所指的溷合,
I mean mixed incomes, mixed age groups as well as mixed-land use. 是指不同收入,不同年龄的群体, 还有对于土地的综合利用。
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
Walk. 步行。
There's no great city that you don't enjoy walking in. 所有伟大的城市都欢迎你漫步其中。
You don't go there. 否则你就不会去那里。
The places you go on vacation are places you can walk. 你去的度假地 肯定是可以散步的地方。
Why not make it everywhere? 那为什么不把所有的地方 都变成这样呢?
Bike is the most efficient means of transportation we know. 自行车是最高效的交通方式。
efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的; transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放;
China has now adopted policies that put six meters of bike lane on every street. 中国已经采取政策, 要在每条街道 设立六米宽的自行车道。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) bike lane:un.自行车专用道;
They're serious about getting back to their biking history. 他们真的想回归骑自行车的年代。
(Applause) (掌声)
Complicated planner-ese here: connect. 下面是比较复杂的规划了: 连通。
Complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
It's a street network that allows many routes instead of singular routes and provides many kinds of streets instead of just one. 这是一个街道网络, 允许有多种路线组合, 而不仅仅是单一路线, 也可以建造多种多样的街道。
routes:n.路线;途径;路途;渠道;v.按某路线发送;(route的第三人称单数和复数) singular:adj.单数的;单一的;非凡的;异常的;n.单数;
Ride. 汽车
We have to invest more in transit. 公共交通系统需要更多投资。
There's no silver bullet . 没有捷径可走。
silver:n.银; v.给…镀(或包)银; adj.银色的; bullet:n.子弹;只选某党全部候选人的投票;豆子;vi.射出;迅速行进;
Autonomous vehicles are not going to solve this for us. 无人驾驶汽车无法帮我们解决问题。
As a matter of fact, they're going to generate more traffic, more VMT, than the alternative. 实际上,跟传统车相比, 无人车会产生更多交通流量, 更多车辆行驶里程。
generate:v.产生;引起;
And focus. 请注意。
We have a hierarchy of the city based on transit rather than the old armature of freeways . 我们在城市的公交系统上 是有分层级的, 这跟老式的以高速公路 为枢纽的老城市相比
hierarchy:n.层级;等级制度; armature:n.电枢(电机的部件);盔甲,甲胄;防卫器官; freeways:n.[公路]高速公路(freeway的复数形式);
It's a big paradigm shift , but those two things have to get reconnected in ways that really shape the structure of the city. 是非常大的一种改变, 但是这两种形式必须 重新连接起来, 来重新构建城市的结构。
paradigm shift:n.范式转移(指行事或思维方式的重大变化); reconnected:v.再连接;再接合(reconnect的过去分词和过去式) structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
So I'm very hopeful. 我对此充满希望。
In California, the United States, China -- these changes are well accepted. 在加州,在美国,在中国, 这些变化都被广泛接受。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
I'm hopeful for two reasons. 我充满希望有两个原因。
One is, most people get it. 第一,大部分人都懂。
They understand intrinsically what a great city can and should be. 他们都真正明白, 一座伟大的城市应该是什么样子。
intrinsically:adv.本质地;内在地;固有地;
The second is that the kind of analysis we can bring to bear now allows people to connect the dots, allows people to shape political coalitions that didn't exist in the past. 第二个原因是这样的分析结果 可以发挥作用, 它将人们连接起来, 让人们建立起 前所未有的政治联盟。
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; coalitions:n.联合;结盟(coalition的复数);
That allows them to bring into being the kinds of communities we all need. 进而允许他们建立 我们梦寐以求的社区。
bring into being:使…形成;使…存在; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)
Chris Anderson: So, OK: autonomous driving, self-driving cars. 克里斯·安德森:好的, 自动驾驶,无人驾驶汽车。
self-driving:自驾;
A lot of people here are very excited about them. 在座有很多人都对此非常兴奋。
What are your concerns or issues about them? 你为什么会对此表示担忧呢?
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Peter Calthorpe: Well, I think there's almost too much hype here. 皮特·卡尔索普:因为 我认为宣传得有些过了。
hype:n.大肆宣传;皮下注射;vt.大肆宣传;使…兴奋;
First is, everybody says we're going to get rid of a lot of cars. 首先,每个人都说 我们会减少许多车辆。
What they don't say is you're going to get a lot more vehicle miles. 但是没有人注意到 我们会增加许多车辆里程。
You're going to get a lot more cars moving on streets. 因为会有更多的车行驶在路上。
There will be more congestion . 会更加拥堵。
congestion:n.拥挤;拥塞;充血;
CA: Because they're so appealing -- you can drive while reading or sleeping. CA:因为它们是如此方便, 你可以在阅读和睡觉的时候行驶。
appealing:adj.吸引人的; v.呼吁; (appeal的现在分词)
PC: Well, a couple of reasons. PC:有很多原因。
One is, if they're privately owned, people will travel greater distances. 其中一点是,如果车辆是私人的, 大家会行驶更远的距离。
privately:adv.私下地;秘密地;
It'll be a new lease on life to sprawl. 会让城市蔓延重新开始。
lease:n.租约;租借矿区;租借合同;租借地;v.出租(土地);租借(土地);使分经;
If you can work on your way to work, you can live in more remote locations . 如果你可以在上班途中工作, 你就可以选择住在更远的地方。
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的; locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
It'll revitalize sprawl in a way that I'm deeply frightened . 这会使城市蔓延 以一种我非常害怕的方式复苏。
revitalize:vt.使…复活;使…复兴;使…恢复生气; frightened:adj.害怕的;受惊的;惊吓的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐;(frighten的过去分词和过去式)
Taxis: about 50 percent of the surveys say that people won't share them. 出租车, 有50%的调查结果显示, 人们不愿意拼车。
surveys:n.调查(survey的复数);
If they don't share them, you can end up with a 90 percent increase in vehicle miles traveled. 如果不拼车, 可能会增加90%的车辆行驶里程。
If you share them, you're still at around a 30 percent increase in VMT. 如果拼车, 也会增加大约30%。
CA: Sharing them, meaning having multiple people riding at once in some sort of intelligent ride-sharing? CA:拼车,就是说几个人 通过某种智能共享的方式 同时乘坐一辆车?
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
PC: Yeah, so the Uber share without a steering wheel . PC:是的,就是无人驾驶的优步。
Uber:adj.最好的;?超级的;n.Uber(公司品牌名)优步; steering wheel:n.方向盘;(操)舵轮;
The reality is, the efficiency of vehicles -- you can do it with or without a steering wheel, it doesn't matter. 但实际情况是,车辆的效率 跟有没有方向盘并没有太大关系。
efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效;
They claim they're the only ones that are going to be efficient electric , but that's not true. 他们宣称自己将是 唯一能让电动车变得高效的, 但这并不是真的。
claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得; electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的;
But the real bottom line is that walking, biking and transit are the way cities and communities thrive. 说到底,步行,自行车和公共交通 才能让城市和社区繁荣发展。
bottom line:n.底线;归根结底;账本底线,盈亏一览结算线;
And putting people in their private bubbles , whether they have a steering wheel or not, is the wrong direction. 让人们藏在自己私密的小空间里, 无论有没有方向盘, 都是错误的发展方向。
bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
And quite frankly, the image of an AV on its way to McDonald's to pick up a pack without its owner, just being sent off on these kind of random errands is really frightening to me. 坦白来说, 我一想象,一辆无人驾驶车 去麦当劳取餐, 它的主人并不在车里, 它被派出去做各种差事, 让我觉得害怕。
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; errands:n.差使;差事;(errand的复数) frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词)
CA: Well, thank you for that, and I have to say, the images you showed of those mixed-use streets were really inspiring , really beautiful. CA:好的,谢谢你的分享, 我不得不说,你给我们展示的 综合利用的街道, 非常有启发性,非常漂亮。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词)
PC: Thank you. CA: Thank you for your work. PC:谢谢你。 CA:谢谢你所做的工作。
(Applause) (掌声)