|
|
PearlArredondo_2013S-_我的故事_从黑帮女到明星老师_
|
So I grew up in East Los Angeles, not even realizing I was poor. |
我在東洛杉磯長大, 根本沒意識到我很窮。 |
My dad was a high-ranking gang member who ran the streets. |
我爸曾是叱吒街頭的幫派角頭。 |
high-ranking:adj.职位高的;阶级高的; gang:n.一群; v.(英)去;
|
Everyone knew who I was, so I thought I was a pretty big deal, and I was protected, and even though my dad spent most of my life in and out of jail , |
沒人不知道我是誰, 所以我自認為是個大人物,而且有人罩, 儘管我爸在我一生中 多次進出監獄, |
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
|
I had an amazing mom who was just fiercely independent . |
我有個堅強獨立的媽媽。 |
fiercely:adv.猛烈地;厉害地; independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
|
She worked at the local high school as a secretary in the dean's office, so she got to see all the kids that got thrown out of class, for whatever reason, who were waiting to be disciplined . |
她在當地高中工作, 擔任教務處的秘書, 所以她看到因為種種因素 而遭趕出教室,準備接受處罰的小孩。 |
disciplined:adj.遵守纪律的; v.训练; (discipline的过去式和过去分词)
|
Man, her office was packed. |
各位,她的辦公室被擠得水洩不通。 |
So, see, kids like us, we have a lot of things to deal with outside of school, and sometimes we're just not ready to focus. |
所以,像我們這樣的孩子, 在校外有很多事等著我們面對 有時我們只是沒辦法集中精神。 |
But that doesn't mean that we can't. |
這並不代表我們不行。 |
It just takes a little bit more. |
只是需多費點功夫而已。 |
Like, I remember one day I found my dad convulsing , foaming at the mouth, |
有一天,我記得我發現我爸 因為過度注射藥物而倒臥浴室, |
convulsing:v.使痉挛(或抽筋);(身体)震动(或抖动);(convulse的现在分词) foaming:n.发泡,泡沫形成;v.起泡沫(foam的ing形式);
|
OD-ing on the bathroom floor. |
身體抽搐、口吐白沫。 |
Really, do you think that doing my homework that night was at the top of my priority list? |
你們真的以為那天晚上做作業 還會是我的頭等大事嗎? |
priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事;
|
Not so much. |
當然不會。 |
But I really needed a support network, a group of people who were going to help me make sure that I wasn't going to be a victim of my own circumstance , that they were going to push me beyond what I even thought I could do. |
但我確實需要一個支撐團體, 一群可以幫助我的人, 確保我不會 淪為自身處境的受害者, 確保他們會促使我 超越自己。 |
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; circumstance:n.环境,情况;事件;境遇;
|
I needed teachers, in the classroom, every day, who were going to say, "You can move beyond that." |
我需要老師能每天在教室裡, 說,“你可以更好的。” |
And unfortunately , the local junior high was not going to offer that. |
可惜的是,當地的國中 並沒有這個條件。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; junior:n.青少年;职位较低者;adj.青少年的;地位低下的;
|
It was gang-infested, huge teacher turnover rate . |
那裡幫派林立,導致了教師流動率過高。 |
turnover rate:换手率;
|
So my mom said, "You're going on a bus an hour and a half away from where we live every day." |
所以媽媽就對我說, “你以後每天要到一小時半車程以外的學校上學。” |
So for the next two years, that's what I did. |
因此接下來兩年,我都是這麼做的。 |
I took a school bus to the fancy side of town. |
我搭乘校車到城市上等的那一頭。 |
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
|
And eventually , I ended up at a school where there was a mixture . |
最後到達了一所 魚龍混雜的學校。 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于; mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体;
|
There were some people who were really gang-affiliated, and then there were those of us really trying to make it to high school. |
裡面有很的多幫派份子, 也有些人像我們一樣 是真的想要上高中。 |
Well, trying to stay out of trouble was a little unavoidable . |
想要遠離麻煩是不太可能的。 |
unavoidable:adj.不可避免的;不能废除的;
|
You had to survive. |
你必須要存活下來。 |
You just had to do things sometimes. |
有時候你只需採取一些動作。 |
So there were a lot of teachers who were like, "She's never going to make it. |
所以很多老師會說, “她不行的。 |
She has an issue with authority . |
她不受學校管教。 |
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
|
She's not going to go anywhere." |
她不會有出息的。” |
Some teachers completely wrote me off as a lost cause . |
有些老師徹底放棄認為我註定失敗。 |
lost cause:n.业已失败的事情;没有希望的事情;
|
But then, they were very surprised when I graduated from high school. |
但是,後來我從國中畢業時 他們非常訝異。 |
I was accepted to Pepperdine University, and I came back to the same school that I attended to be a special ed assistant. |
因為我申請上了佩柏戴恩大學, 然後回到以前讀的學校 擔任特教助理。 |
And then I told them, "I want to be a teacher." |
然後我跟他們說,“我要當老師。” |
And boy, they were like, "What? Why? |
他們就驚訝的說,“什麼?為什麼? |
Why would you want to do that?" |
為什麼你會想當老師?“ |
So I began my teaching career at the exact same middle school that I attended, and I really wanted to try to save more kids who were just like me. |
所以我就在我以前讀過的中學 展開我的教學生涯, 真心地想要幫助更多的孩子 像我這樣的孩子。 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; middle school:n.初中;(英国为9到13岁儿童所设的)中间学校;
|
And so every year, I share my background with my kids, because they need to know that everyone has a story, everyone has a struggle, and everyone needs help along the way. |
所以每年,我都跟學生分享我的經歷, 因為他們需要知道,每個人都有個故事, 每個人都有奮鬥史, 再奮鬥的過程中,每個人都需要幫助。 |
And I am going to be their help along the way. |
我會在他們奮鬥的過程中伸出援手。 |
I am going to be:我将成为什么(样的人)
|
So as a rookie teacher, I created opportunity. |
所以,身為新手老師的我,創造了機會。 |
rookie:n.新手;新人;
|
I had a kid one day come into my class having been stabbed the night before. |
有天,一位學生跑到我班上, 他前晚遭刺傷。 |
stabbed:v.刺,戳,捅;(stab的过去分词和过去式)
|
I was like, "You need to go to a hospital, the school nurse, something." |
我說,“你需要去醫院, 或是學校保健室之類的。” |
He's like, "No, Miss, I'm not going. |
他回說,“不用了老師,我不會去。 |
I need to be in class because I need to graduate." |
因為我想畢業,所以我一定要來上課。” |
So he knew that I was not going to let him be a victim of his circumstance, but we were going to push forward and keep moving on. |
所以他知道,我不會讓他 淪為自身處境的受害者, 反而我們會勇往直前,繼續努力下去。 |
push forward:推进;抓紧进行;
|
And this idea of creating a safe haven for our kids and getting to know exactly what they're going through, getting to know their families -- I wanted that, but I couldn't do it in a school with 1,600 kids, and teachers turning over year after year after year. |
為孩子們創造一個安全庇護所的想法 並且準確了解他們的經歷, 以及了解他們的家庭,都是我想做的, 但是,我無法在1,600個孩子的學校這麼做, 老師們一年接著一年不斷地更換。 |
safe haven:n.安全的地方;避难所; year after year:年复一年地;每年;
|
How do you get to build those relationships? |
要如何跟學生們建立感情呢? |
So we created a new school. |
因此我們創辦了一所新學校。 |
And we created the San Fernando Institute for Applied Media . |
而且,我們設立了 聖佛南度媒體應用學院。 |
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; Applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) Media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
And we made sure that we were still attached to our school district for funding , for support. |
確定的是,我們仍然依賴 我們校區的資助與支持。 |
attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式) school district:n.学区; funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
|
But with that, we were going to gain freedom: freedom to hire the teachers that we knew were going to be effective; freedom to control the curriculum so that we're not doing lesson 1.2 on page five, no; and freedom to control a budget , to spend money where it matters, not how a district or a state says you have to do it. |
如此一來,我們就能更加獨立: 獨立招聘我們認為 會更加有效的老師; 獨立設計課程 如此一來,教學就不在受限於課本; 加上獨力控制預算, 把錢花在刀口上, 而不是讓政府指手畫腳。 |
curriculum:n.课程;总课程; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
|
We wanted those freedoms. |
我們想要這些獨立自主權。 |
But now, shifting an entire paradigm , it hasn't been an easy journey , nor is it even complete. |
但是,要完全改變架構, 這不是一條簡單的路,也不是終點。 |
shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词) paradigm:n.范例;词形变化表; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
But we had to do it. |
但是,我們還是得做。 |
Our community deserved a new way of doing things. |
我們的社會需要有新的處事方法。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; deserved:adj.值得的;该奖[罚]的;v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的过去分词和过去式)
|
And as the very first pilot middle school in all of Los Angeles Unified School District, you better believe there was some opposition . |
作為洛杉磯所有聯合學區裡 首批試辦的中學, 一定會有反對的聲音。 |
Unified:adj.统一的;一致标准的;v.统一;使一致(unify的过去分词); opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
|
And it was out of fear -- fear of, well, what if they get it wrong? |
這是因為出於恐懼- 害怕他們要是弄錯該怎麼辦? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
Yeah, what if we get it wrong? |
對啊,要是我們弄錯了怎麼辦? |
But what if we get it right? |
但要是我們成功了呢? |
And we did. |
我們做到了。 |
So even though teachers were against it because we employ one-year contracts -- you can't teach, or you don't want to teach, you don't get to be at my school with my kids. |
所以儘管有些老師反對, 因為我們約聘的老師為一年, 要是你不會教,或者不想教, 你就不該留在我的學校教我的孩子們。 |
employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用; contracts:n.[经]合同; v.使收缩;
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
So in our third year, how did we do it? |
所以在第三年,我們是怎麼做的呢? |
Well, we're making school worth coming to every day. |
我們讓每天來學校變成值得。 |
We make our kids feel like they matter to us. |
我們讓學生覺得他們對我們來說是重要的。 |
We make our curriculum rigorous and relevant to them, and they use all the technology that they're used to. |
我們讓課程更嚴謹、更貼近他們, 而且他們使用所有慣用的科技設備。 |
rigorous:adj.严格的,严厉的;严密的;严酷的; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
Laptops , computers, tablets -- you name it, they have it. |
筆電、桌電、平板 -- 你想的到的都有。 |
Laptops:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;(laptop的复数) tablets:n.药片;片剂;(固定于墙上作纪念的)牌,碑,匾;(tablet的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Animation , software, moviemaking software, they have it all. |
動畫製作、軟體、電影製作軟體,他們都有。 |
Animation:n.活泼,生气;激励;卡通片绘制; moviemaking:n.制片;
|
And because we connect it to what they're doing ?? |
因為我們讓他們所做的更有關聯- |
For example, they made public service announcements for the Cancer Society. |
例如,他們替癌症協會做公益, 在公眾信息服務節目上發聲。 |
public service:n.公共事业;公营事业;公益事业(或服务);政府; Cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
|
These were played in the local trolley system. |
這些都在當地的電車系統上撥出。 |
trolley:n.手推车;(美)有轨电车;vi.乘电车;vt.用手推车运;
|
Teaching elements of persuasion , it doesn't get any more real than that. |
有說服力的教導要素, 是最實際不過了。 |
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数) persuasion:n.说服;说服力;信念;派别;
|
Our state test scores have gone up more than 80 points since we've become our own school. |
自從我們創校以來, 我們州的考試成績已經突破80分了。 |
But it's taken all stakeholders , working together -- teachers and principals on one-year contracts, working over and above and beyond their contract hours without compensation . |
不過這需要所有利益相關者共同合作- 老師們和校長在約聘的一年裡, 能夠花更多的、額外的時間在工作上, 而且不計酬勞。 |
stakeholders:n.利益相关者;赌款保存人(stakeholder的复数); principals:n.校长;负责人(principal的复数); over and above:除…之外;在…之上; compensation:n.补偿;报酬;赔偿金;
|
And it takes a school board member who is going to lobby for you and say, "Know, the district is trying to impose this, but you have the freedom to do otherwise." |
多虧有幫你遊說的校董, 並且他會跟你說, “要知道,地方政府要實施這項措施, 但你有權決定要不要照做。” |
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于;
|
And it takes an active parent center who is not only there, showing a presence every day, but who is part of our governance , making decisions for their kids, our kids. |
這也多虧家長會長 不但會每天出席, 也會是我們管理的一份子, 為我們大家都孩子做決定。 |
presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态; governance:n.管理;统治;支配;
|
Because why should our students have to go so far away from where they live? |
為什麼我們的學生 要千里迢迢的來這? |
They deserve a quality school in their neighborhood , a school that they can be proud to say they attend, and a school that the community can be proud of as well, and they need teachers to fight for them every day and empower them to move beyond their circumstances . |
在社區內,他們應該要有間優質的學校, 能讓他們為在這所學校就讀而驕傲, 一間也讓社區引以為傲的學校, 而且需要老師們為他們奮鬥, 讓他們能夠越發強大並走出現在的處境。 |
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
|
Because it's time that kids like me stop being the exception , and we become the norm . |
因為現在是時候讓像我一樣的孩子們 不再是例外,而是常態。 |
exception:n.例外;异议; norm:n.规范;标准;定额;常态;v.规范;规定;
|
Thank you. |
謝謝。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |