返回首页

PaulaStoneWilliamsandJonathanWilliams_2018W-_父亲的转化和儿子的救赎_

Paula Stone Williams: So, I was the CEO of a large, religious nonprofit , spoke at some of the largest churches in America, was on television in 70 different markets, but more than anything else, 宝拉史东威廉斯:我曾是一间 大型宗教非营利组织的执行长, 会在美国最大的一些教堂做演讲, 在七十个不同市场上过电视, 但,我最想要的是,
religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; nonprofit:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的;
I just wanted to be a good parent. 能够当一个好父母。
I told all three of my children, "When the going gets tough, you have to choose the road less traveled, the narrow path." 我告诉我的三个孩子: 「遇到艰困的状况时, 你得要选择少有人走的路, 狭窄的路。」
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分;
I had no idea how difficult that was going to become. 我完全不知道会变得多困难。
I knew from the time I was three or four years of age that I was transgender . 在我三、四岁时,我就知道 我是个跨性别者。
transgender:n.跨性别;跨性别者;
I knew if I came out, I would lose everything. 我知道如果我出柜, 就会失去一切。
But the call toward authenticity is sacred and for the greater good, and it asks you to trust that the truth not only sets you free, it will set everyone free. 但要我们追求真实的 呼唤是很神圣的, 这是为了大我, 你得要相信,真相 并不只会让你自由, 它会让每个人自由。
authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性;
I decided to stake my life on it. 我决定拿我的人生来赌一把。
stake:n.桩,棍子;赌注;火刑;奖金;v.资助,支持;系…于桩上;把…押下打赌;
So I came out. 所以我出柜了。
Turns out, if you spend most of your life working in the conservative religious world, coming out as transgender is not all that great for your career . 结果发现,如果你人生中 大部分时间都在 一个保守的宗教世界里做事, 出柜承认自己是跨性别者 对你的职涯并没有什么好处。
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Who knew? 谁会知道呢?
(Laughter) (笑声)
Within seven days, I lost every single one of my jobs. 在七天之内, 我失去了我所有的工作。
My family was supportive but struggling. 我的家人支持我, 但他们也很挣扎。
supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的;
Most of my friends and coworkers had rejected me; the rest were confused . 我大部分的朋友和同事都排拒我; 剩下的则是感到困惑。
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式) rejected:adj.被拒的;不合格的;v.拒绝,驳回;(reject的过去式和过去分词) confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
One friend said, "You really messed with me." 有位朋友说: 「你真的惹毛我了。」
messed:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺(mess的过去分词和过去式)
I said, "Yeah, well, get in line." 我说:「是啊, 请领取号码牌排队等候。」
They said, "You were my only example of an alpha male who was gentle." 他们说:「你是我所知道的 雄性领袖中唯一很温柔的。」
alpha male:n.老大(某一群体中最有权力的男子或雄性动物);
And I thought, "Oh. You're right." 我心想:「喔,你是对的。」
I was an alpha male. 我是雄性领袖。
And I was gentle. 且我很温柔。
And if it was hard for him, how much more difficult was it for my own son? 如果对他来说很辛苦, 那对我自己的儿子会有多困难?
Jonathan Williams: Estrangement was not an option . 强纳森威廉斯: 没有「疏远」这个选项。
Estrangement:n.疏远;失和; option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
It was Father's Day and my girls brought me craft beer and a homemade jar of pickles , which, in my estimation , is the perfect Father's Day gift. 那天是父亲节,我的女儿们 带了精酿啤酒给我, 还有一罐自制的 腌渍食品,依我估计, 这是完美的父亲节礼物。
craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作; pickles:n.泡菜;腌菜;菜酱;v.腌渍;(pickle的第三人称单数和复数) estimation:n.估计;尊重;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But the question remained: 但问题还是在:
Do I call my own father? 我要打给我的父亲吗?
To call him, and I continue down this spiral of denial , pretending that my dad was still -- well, my dad. 我一直陷在这个否认的 旋涡中,是否要打给他, 假装我爸爸仍然是—— 嗯,我爸爸。
spiral:n.螺旋;旋涡;螺旋形之物;adj.螺旋形的;v.使成螺旋形;vi.盘旋;螺旋形上升; denial:n.否认;否定;剥夺(应有的权利);拒不承认(令人不快、痛苦的事);
To not call was to acknowledge that everything had changed. 如果不打电话, 就是承认一切都改变了。
It meant that I was in for years of pain and mourning and sadness, but ultimately , hope for reconciliation . 就意味着我多年来 在承受痛苦、悲伤、哀恸, 但,最终,希望能和解。
mourning:n.伤逝;哀悼;丧服;v.哀悼,忧伤;(mourn的现在分词) ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿;
There's no playbook for when one's father of 30 plus years decides to transition to the female gender. 没有剧本教我们,三十多年的爸爸
playbook:n.剧本; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
But my dad did teach me one thing. 但我爸爸确实教了我一件事。
He said the road to redemption always comes from choosing the narrow path. 他说,通往救赎之路总是 来自选择比较狭窄的路。
redemption:n.赎回;拯救;偿还;实践;
And so I decided not to call that day, and a few months later, Paula flew out and met me at a hotel in New York, my wife and I. 所以我决定那天不要打电话, 几个月之后,宝拉坐飞机 到纽约的一间饭店 和我跟我太太见面。
I knocked on the door, and this woman answered. 我敲了门,这位女子来应门。
It definitely wasn't my dad. 那肯定不是我爸爸。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
'"It's good to see you," she said. 她说:「见到你真好。」
It didn't sound like my dad, either. 声音听起来也不是我爸爸。
We went to lunch, and the waiter came to take our order. 我们去吃午餐, 服务生来幫我们点餐。
He said, "Let's start with the ladies," 他说:「女士们先点。」
but there was only one lady at the table and it was my wife, and -- oh my God, there are two women at the table. 但这桌只有我太太一位女士, 且——喔,我的天, 这桌有两位女士。
And my dad ordered something like lettuce, and I was like, I have fries on my plate. 我爸爸点了莴苣之类的东西, 而我,我的盘子上有薯条。
Did my dad like fries? I don't remember. 我爸爸喜欢薯条吗?我不记得了。
I think he liked them. 我想他喜欢。
But she wasn't eating them. 但她并没有吃薯条。
Here's this woman who knew everything about me, and I knew nothing about her. 这个女子知道我的一切, 而我却对她一无所知。
I don't even remember saying goodbye. 我甚至不记得我有没有说再见。
PSW: All I could think about that day was that it was late September in New York, and I was wearing white jeans. 宝:那天,我脑中只有一件事, 那是纽约的九月底, 而我穿着白色的牛仔裤。
(Laughter) (笑声)
You don't wear white after Labor Day in New York. 在纽约,在劳动节之后 就没有人穿白色了。
Labor Day:n.(美国或加拿大的)劳动节;
There was a knock at the door, and all I could think about was, here I stand in my wrong jeans. 有人在敲门, 我却满脑子都是我穿错了 牛仔裤站在这里。
And then I saw these big, blue eyes I love so much, and they were staring back at me in disbelief . 接着,我看到了 我心爱的蓝色大眼睛, 它们带着怀疑的眼神盯着我看。
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词) disbelief:n.怀疑,不信;
And I thought, "Oh, this is not going to be easy." 我心想:「喔, 这次会面肯定不会容易。」
When one person in a family transitions , the entire family transitions whether they want to or not. 当家中有一个人变性, 整个家庭都会跟着变, 不论他们是否情愿。
transitions:n.过渡,转变(transition的复数形式);转场效果;转换滤镜;
Now, for those on the fringes it was easy. 对于在两端边缘的人,这很容易。
fringes:n.额前短垂发; v.形成…的边缘; (fringe的第三人称单数和复数)
The liberals said, "Oh, wonderful! 自由派说:「喔,太好了!
liberals:n.自由主义者(liberal的复数);
She's found her truth, how delightful ." 她找到了真正的自己, 真令人高兴。」
delightful:adj.可爱的,可喜的;令人愉快的;
And the conservatives said, "That's messed up, I'm out of here." 保守派 说:「真是乱来, 我要闪人了。」
conservatives:n.保守党,保守派;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But for my family, neither extreme was going to work. 但,对我的家庭来说, 两极端都行不通。
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
Their anger, their hurt, their love and loyalty -- all of it had to be brought on to the road of trials. 他们的愤怒、他们的伤痛、 他们的爱,和他们的忠诚—— 这一切都要通过试炼。
loyalty:n.忠诚;忠心;忠实;忠于…感情;
JW: Was it all a lie? 强:这全是谎言吗?
Every game of catch in the front yard, the Mets season tickets -- was that with my dad or was that with her? 我们每次在前院玩传球, 大都会队的球赛季票—— 那些事,我是和我爸爸 还是和她一起做的?
I remember this one time, my dad took me on a bike ride through Heckscher Park to teach me about sex. 我记得有一次, 我爸爸带我骑脚踏车穿过 赫克歇尔公园,去教我性教育。
He explained the parts of the body that I now know he wished weren't hers. 他解释身体的部位,我现在知道, 他真希望这些部位不是她的。
Had my father ever even existed? 我爸爸真的存在过吗?
Now, grief -- grief is without rules. 悲痛——悲痛是没有规则的。
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸;
Grief borrows your car without asking, wrecks it and then doesn't apologize. 悲痛会不问就直接借走你的车, 把车撞坏,还不会道歉。
wrecks:n.严重损毁人或物; v.破坏; (wreck的第三人称单数和复数)
And I was a wreck. 留我一团糟。
This was heavy. 这太沉重了。
I retreated into myself. 我缩了起来。
retreated:v.撤退;隐退(retreat的过去式及过去分词);
I was angry. 我很愤怒。
I felt betrayed . 我感觉被背叛了。
betrayed:v.出卖;泄露机密;辜负;对…不忠;(betray的过去分词和过去式)
And I guess I should have known by the fact that you encouraged me to be a Mets fan that you were preparing me for life's really big disappointments . 当妳鼓励我成为大都会 球迷时我就该知道, 妳是在幫我准备将来 要面对人生的大挫折。
disappointments:n.失望;沮丧;
(Laughter) (笑声)
That's true. 那是真的。
And yet, there were the games of catch, and there were the season tickets and bacon , egg and cheese sandwiches every Saturday from the best bagel place on Long Island. 但,我们还是有玩传球, 还是有棒球赛的季票, 每个星期六还有培根、 蛋,和起士三明治, 来自长岛最棒的贝果店。
bacon:n.咸肉;腌肉;熏猪肉; bagel:n.百吉饼(先蒸后烤的发面圈);(体育比赛中)零蛋;
My father lived this life he didn't want to live, but he lived it so that I could have a dad. 我爸爸过了这段 他不想要过的人生, 但他这么做了, 所以我才能有个爸爸。
I stopped wondering if my dad had ever existed. 我不再纳闷我爸爸 是否曾经存在过。
He had existed -- willfully , consciously , intentionally -- each and every day of my growing up. 他存在过—— 存在于我成长过程中的每一天。
willfully:adv.故意地;任性固执地; consciously:adv.自觉地;有意识地; intentionally:adv.故意地,有意地;
For that, I was thankful. 为此,我心存感激。
Paula's body was hers now and her transformation was complete, but my transformation was just beginning. 现在,宝拉的身体是她的了, 她的转化已经完成, 但我的转化才刚刚开始。
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
I had another trial, another journey , another choice to heed my father's advice and continue down that narrow path. 我还有另一个试炼、 另一趟旅程、另一个选择, 要听从我爸爸的建议, 继续走这条狭窄的路。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; heed:v.注意;留心;听从(劝告或警告);n.注意;留心;
PSW: So most days I believe there is a God. 宝:大部分的时候,我相信有神。
Tuesdays and Thursdays can be tough, and any day that you're on the New Jersey Turnpike . 星期二和星期四可能很艰苦, 在新泽西州收费道路上的 任何日子也是。
Turnpike:n.[税收]收费高速公路;收税关卡;
I mean, really, you know? 真的,你们懂吧?(笑声)
(Laughter) 当你的灵魂被放错了身体, 就很难再相信神。
It's hard to believe in God when your soul is in the wrong body. 当你的灵魂被放错了身体, 就很难再相信神。
Still, somehow I ended up in ministry . 但,不知怎么的, 我最后成了牧师。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; ministry:n.(政府的)部门;
When I lost all my jobs, it was nothing personal . 我失去了我所有的工作时, 那不是针对个人。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
It's what religious tribes do. 宗教团体就是这样的。
They believe an enemy is necessary for the tribe to survive, so where no enemy exists, they create one. 他们相信,必须要有个敌人, 他们的团体才能生存, 所以在没有敌人时, 他们就会创造一个。
tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙;
Right now, sexual minorities are the enemy; my departure was swift and sure. 现在,性别少数是敌人; 我的离开是快速且肯定的。
sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的; minorities:n.少数(minority的复数形式);少数民族;少数族裔; departure:n.离开;出发;违背; swift:n.[鸟]雨燕; adj.飞快的;
I was surprised when my son left his job teaching in West Philadelphia to go into the ministry. 我很意外我儿子离开了 他在西费城的教职, 而去当牧师,
Philadelphia:n.费城(美国宾夕法尼亚州东南部港市);
I did not see that one coming. 我完全没有料到。
And now I wondered: 我开始纳闷:
What would he do? 他会怎么做?
I didn't have to wait that long to find an answer. 我不用等那么久,就找到了答案。
Six months after that first visit, he invited me back to New York. 在第一次造访后六个月, 他邀请我回去纽约。
JW: The designers of the Brooklyn Bridge, they had their share of bad luck. 强:布鲁克林大桥的设计者, 他们也有自己的厄运。
John Roebling, he died shortly after the bridge's construction began. 约翰罗布林在该桥的建设工程 开始后没多久就过世了。
construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
His son Washington took over, but he suffered from decompression sickness. 他的儿子华盛顿接手, 却饱受潜水夫病之苦。
decompression:n.[特医]解压;降压;
His wife Emily became the surrogate executive engineer who oversaw the bridge's completion . 他的太太艾蜜莉成为 代理执行工程师, 监督该桥完工。
surrogate:n.代理;代表;代用品;adj.替代的;代用的;v.代理;代替; executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的; oversaw:vt.看管,管理;视察;监视; completion:n.完成,结束;实现;
Father and son, 父亲和儿子,
John and Washington, done in by their work. 约翰和华盛顿, 被他们的工作搞垮。
It was this sunny day in May and my father and I sat in the shadow of that Brooklyn Bridge. 五月的一个晴天, 我爸爸和我坐在 布鲁克林桥的蔽阴下。
Would our lives follow the Roeblings' -- father and son, done in by our work? 我们的人生会步上 罗布林家的后尘吗—— 父亲和儿子,被我们的工作搞垮?
My father thought that her friends in church would carry her through her transition, and they did not. 我爸爸认为她在教堂的朋友 会在她转化过程中支持她, 但他们并没有。
They ditched her and they clung to me. 他们抛下她,他们缠着我。
ditched:v.摆脱;抛弃;丢弃;迫降;(ditch的过去分词和过去式) clung:v.坚持(cling的过去分词);紧握;贴近;
I was the pastor of a new church in Brooklyn. 我是布鲁克林一间 新教堂的本堂牧师。
pastor:n.(尤指非英国国教的)牧师;
This wonderful group of forward-thinking people, and yet, we were financially tied to really conservative churches. 这群美好的人,很有前瞻眼光, 但,我们在财务上 被保守的教堂绑住。
forward-thinking:adj.前瞻的,有远见的; financially:adv.财政上;金融上;
To hold space for Paula meant jeopardizing our own church's livelihood . 若要为宝拉留个位置,就可能 危害到我们自己教堂的生计。
jeopardizing:v.冒…的危险;危及;危害;损害;(jeopardize的现在分词) livelihood:n.生计,生活;营生;
I sort of straddled the line between these warring worlds. 我有点像是跨立在两个 誓不两立的世界中间。
straddled:vi.跨坐;两腿叉开坐;vt.跨坐;把两腿叉开;n.跨坐;
So I said to my dad, 178 00:08:20,017 --> 00:08:22,476 "Dad, I still live and work in your old world . 所以,我对我爸爸说: 「老爸, 我还在妳的旧世界中生活和工作。
old world:adj.古代世界的,古时的;从前的,以前的;
Is it possible that you might extend an olive branch for my sake ?" 妳有没有可能为了我, 伸出和平的橄榄枝呢?」
extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸; olive branch:n.橄榄枝;和平的象征; sake:n.目的;利益;理由;日本米酒;
And her response was impassioned . 她的回应很热烈。
response:n.响应;反应;回答; impassioned:adj.充满激情的;感激的;v.使充满激情(impassion的过去式和过去分词);
You said to me, "Do you have any idea what it feels like to finally show yourself to your true friends and have them completely reject you? 妳对我说:「你知不知道 这是怎样的感觉? 终于能向你真正的 朋友展现你自己, 而他们完全排拒你?
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
To ask you to live a lie? 要求你活在谎言中?
Do you know what that feels like?" 你知道那是什么样的感觉吗?」
And I didn't know what that felt like. 我不知道那是什么样的感觉。
But I knew I had a decision to make. 但我知道我有一个决定要做。
It was the decision to continue down that narrow path through nights, but for the first time, 这个决定就是要在天黑时 继续走这条狭窄的路, 但,第一次,
I caught a glimpse of light. 我看到了一丝光线。
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹;
I cannot ask my father to be anything other than her true self. 我不能要求我爸爸去做 她真实自我以外的人。
(Applause) (掌声)
PSW: So as we sat by the river that day, 宝:所以,那天, 当我们坐在河边时,
Jonathan talked about his pain, his suffering, his grief, his confusion . 强纳森谈到他的痛苦、
confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘;
He brought all of himself to that conversation, and it tore at me to be the cause of such pain. 他完全投入那次的对谈, 我的心都碎了, 因为我是痛苦的成因。
But as he talked, there was something redemptive going on, full of tension but possibility, grounded in that narrow path. 但在他谈话时, 有种救赎正在发生, 充满了压力,但也是可能性, 牢固地立基在那条狭窄的路上。
redemptive:adj.赎回的;赎身的;挽回的; tension:n.张力;拉伸;矛盾;紧张局势(或关系,状况);v.绷紧;
He said, "This is always going to be hard. 他说:「这永远会很辛苦。
It always will be. 永远都会。但,老爸,
But Dad,
I love you." 我爱妳。」
My son is the best of me and more. 我儿子是我最好的我,还要更多。
He's bold and strong, sensitive and thoughtful . 他很大胆且强壮, 敏感且体贴。
bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人; thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的;
I guess you could say, he's an alpha male who's gentle. 我想,你们可以说, 他是个温柔的雄性领袖。
JW: It was time for my daughters to meet their -- Paula. 强:该是时候了,该让我的 女儿们见见她们的——宝拉。
We went back to my apartment, and my daughters were coloring at the dining room table, and there was this awkward silence. 我们回到我的公寓, 我的女儿们在餐桌上画画, 当时有种尴尬的沉默。
dining room:n.餐厅; awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的;
And finally, my youngest asked a single, confident question. 终于,我最小的女儿问了 一个很有自信的问题。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
'"So, Grandpa, do you have a penis ?" 「所以,爷爷,你有鸡鸡吗?」
penis:n.阴茎;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And after the tension abated and the laughter subsided , my girls took their grandpa back into their room and showed her their new toys, and they christened her with a new name. 在压力减轻,笑声消退之后, 我的女儿们带爷爷去她们房间, 让她看她们的新玩具, 还幫她取了个新教名。
abated:vt.减轻;减少;废除;vi.减轻;失效; subsided:vi.平息;减弱;沉淀;坐下; christened:vt.给…命名(christen过去式);
They called her "GrandPaula." 她们叫她「大宝拉」 (音近「爷爷」)。
(Laughter) (笑声)
PSW: So this past summer, I had all five of my granddaughters at my home, there in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. 宝:去年夏天, 五位孙女到我家来, 在洛矶山脉的丘陵中。
foothills:n.山麓丘陵;前陆; Rocky:adj.岩石的;多岩石的;困难的;难以维持的;
We went swimming in the cool waters of the river that flows through our little town. 有条河流过我们的小镇, 我们去清凉的河水里游泳。
And one day, one of Jonathan's girls said to me, "GrandPaula, can we go tubing on the river?" 有一天,强纳森的 一个女儿对我说: 「大宝拉,我们能不能 坐内胎顺流而下?」
And I said, "Well, you know, 我说:「嗯,妳知道的,
I'd really wait until your daddy gets here for that. 我得要等妳爸爸来才行。
That feels to me like that ought to be his call." 我觉得这应该是由他来决定。」
And she said, "Oh, but GrandPaula, he'll exactly make the same decision you would. 她说:「喔,但,大宝拉, 他一定会跟妳做一样的决定。
He's a lot like you, you know." 他很像妳,妳知道的。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I thought, yeah, he is a lot like me, both of us determined to find the narrow path and follow it through the long, dark night, all the way to the light of dawn . 我心想,是啊,他很像我, 我们两人都很坚决 要找到狭窄的路, 即使在漫长的黑夜 也还是要走下去, 一路走到黎明的曙光。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟;
JW: Have you ever noticed that a child who is secure, a child who knows love, that child will dance? 强:你们有没有注意过 无忧虑的孩子, 知道爱的孩子,会跳舞的孩子?
They wave their arms, they kick their legs to music that only they can hear. 他们会挥动他们的手臂, 跟着只有他们能听见的 音乐踢他们的脚。
It's the music of a child who is safe and unharmed and wholly loved. 这是一个有安全感、未受伤害, 且全心被爱的孩子的音乐。
unharmed:adj.无恙的;没有受伤的; wholly:adv.完全地;全部;统统;
The day after my children met their GrandPaula, she took them to go get doughnuts , and I watched as they walked down the street, and my girls took my father's arms, and they danced. 在我的孩子们见到大宝拉的那天 之后, 她带她们去买甜甜圈, 我看着她们沿着街道走, 我的女儿们拉着我爸爸的手臂, 她们在跳舞。
doughnuts:n.炸面圈,多纳圈(常含果酱、水果、奶油等);(doughnut的复数)
My father's arms swung wildly . 我爸爸的手臂大大地挥舞着。
wildly:adv.野生地;野蛮地;狂暴地;鲁莽地;
You bought them one too many doughnuts, because you always do -- 妳幫他们多买了一个甜甜圈, 因为妳总是会这么做——(笑声)
(Laughter) 我看着我的大女儿咬一口甜甜圈,
I watched my older daughter take a bite of her doughnut, and she unleashed two jumps and a twirl . 我看着我的大女儿咬一口甜甜圈, 她做出了两个跳跃和一个旋转。
unleashed:v.发泄;突然释放;使爆发(unleash的过去分词和过去式) twirl:vt.使快速转动,使快速旋转; n.转动,旋转; vi.旋转,转动;
It was perfect. 很完美。
That narrow path, it always has its share of burdens and challenges. 那条狭窄的路, 它总是会附有重担和挑战。
burdens:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于;
But I was certain that we were going to see this through to redemption. 但我很肯定,我们会 度过它,走向救赎。
I looked at my dad and I looked at my girls who were dancing and eating their doughnuts, and I said aloud to no one in particular , 我看向我爸爸, 我看着我的女儿们跳舞、吃甜甜圈, 没有特别对着谁,但我大声说:
in particular:尤其,特别;
I said, "This ... 我说:「这……
this is how God sees my dad." 这就是神眼中我爸爸的样子。」
My father was literally born again. 我爸爸真的重生了。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
And by choosing the narrow path of redemption, 我选择了走上狭窄的救赎之路,
I was born again with her. 所以我也与她一同重生了。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause and cheers) (掌声及欢呼)