返回首页

PattyMcCordWWW_2018V-_建立一家员工满意度高的公司的8个经验_

HR jargon makes me crazy. 人力资源术语让我抓狂。
jargon:n.行话,术语;黄锆石;
We have to have all these stupid acronyms that describe things that nobody understands: OKRs and PIPs . 我们必须得用这些愚蠢的首字母缩写 来表达一些无人能理解的术语, 如:OKRs和PIPs。
acronyms:首字母缩略词(acronym的复数); describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; PIPs:n.(某些水果的)种子,籽; v.以微弱优势击败;
I think we can run our businesses by just talking to each other like regular human beings. 我认为我们能够像普通人那样, 通过常规对话就能运营企业。
We might actually get more done. 这样一来我们的效率会更高。
[The Way We Work] 【我们的工作方式】
I really always wanted to be an HR professional , 我一直都想成为人力资源专家,
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
I wanted to be able to speak the language of management . 我希望我能够说管理语言。
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
And you know what I've learned after all this time? 你知道我在那么长的时间里 都学到了些什么吗?
I don't think any of it matters. 没有一样是重要的。
There's all kinds of things that we call "best practices" 到处充斥着我们称之为“最佳实践”,
that aren't best practices at all. 却根本不是最佳实践的东西。
How do we know it's best? We don't measure this stuff . 我们如何知道这是最佳? 我们又没法评估。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
In fact, I've learned that "best practices" usually means copying what everybody else does. 事实上,我的经验告诉我, “最佳实践”通常意味着 照搬别人的做法。
Our world is changing and evolving all the time. 我们的世界在不断地变化和发展。
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词)
Here are some lessons to help you adapt . 这里有一些经验可以帮助你来适应。
adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应;
Lesson one: Your employees are adults. 经验1:你的员工是成年人。
You know, we've created so many layers and so many processes and so many guidelines to keep those employees in place that we've ended up with systems that treat people like they're children. 我们建立了这么多的员工阶层 和如此多的流程与准则 来让员工按部就班地工作, 导致我们的体制 把员工当做孩子来看待。
layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数) processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); guidelines:n.指导方针;参考; treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
And they're not. 但他们不是孩子。
Fully formed adults walk in the door every single day. 每天这些发育完全的 成年人走进公司。
They have rent payments , they have obligations , they're members of society, they want to create a difference in the world. 他们有房租要交, 他们有各自的义务, 他们是社会的一员, 他们想在世界上创造不同寻常的事物。
payments:n.付款;支付;收款;款项;报答;(payment的复数) obligations:n.[法]义务;债务;承付款项(obligation的复数);
So if we start with the assumption that everybody comes to work to do an amazing job, you'd be surprised what you get. 如果我们抱着每一个来工作的人 都是为了做得出色的想法, 你会惊讶于所得到的结果。
assumption:n.假定;设想;担任;采取;
Lesson two: The job of management isn't to control people, it's to build great teams. 经验2:管理工作不是去控制员工, 而是打造出色的团队。
When managers build great teams, here's how you know it. 当管理者打造了出色的团队时, 你会通过以下几点知晓。
They've done amazing stuff. 他们做了很多了不起的工作。
Customers are really happy. 顾客真的很满意。
Those are the metrics that really matter. 这些才是真正重要的衡量标准。
metrics:n.度量;作诗法;韵律学;
Not the metrics of: "Do you come to work on time?" 而不是这些标准:“你今天准点上班吗?”
'"Did you take your vacation?" "Did you follow the rules?" “你休假了吗?”, “你有没有遵守员工守则?”
'"Did you ask for permission?" “你请示过了吗?”
Lesson three: People want to do work that means something. 经验3:人们想做有意义的工作。
After they do it, they should be free to move on. 他们做完后,理应自由决定 下一步要做什么。
Careers are journeys . 职业是一场旅行。
Careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式);
Nobody's going to want to do the same thing for 60 years. 没人想要60年做同样的事情。
So the idea of keeping people for the sake of keeping them really hurts both of us. 所以为了留住人才而留住人才 其实是两败俱伤。
for the sake of:为了;为了…的利益;
Instead, what if we created companies that were great places to be from? 反之,如果我们创建的公司 都是很棒的地方呢?
what if:如果…怎么办?
And everyone who leaves you becomes an ambassador for not only your product, but who you are and how you operate. 这样每一个离开公司的人, 不仅会成为你的产品大使, 还能够宣扬你和你的运营理念。
ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
And when you spread that kind of excitement throughout the world, then we make all of our companies better. 当你把这种兴奋之情传遍全世界时, 我们就会让所有的公司变得更好。
excitement:n.兴奋;刺激;令人兴奋的事物; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
Lesson four: Everyone in your company should understand the business. 经验4:你公司的 每个员工都应该懂业务。
Now, based on the assumption that we've got smart adults here, the most important thing we can teach them is how our business works. 假设我们这里都是聪明的成年人, 我们可以教会他们的最重要事情 就是我们的业务如何运作。
When I look at companies that are moving fast, that are really innovative and that are doing amazing things with agility and speed, it's because they're collaborative . 当我看那些发展很快的公司时, 他们真是非常创新, 能灵活迅速地做出令人惊艳的产品, 因为他们是互相协作的。
innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; agility:n.敏捷;灵活;机敏; collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的;
The best thing that we can do is constantly teach each other what we do, what matters to us, what we measure, what goodness looks like, so that we can all drive towards achieving the same thing. 我们可以做的是不断告诉彼此 我们在做什么, 我们看重什么,评估什么,什么是美德, 这样我们就能朝着同样的目标努力。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
Lesson five: Everyone in your company should be able to handle the truth. 经验5:公司的每个员工 都有权知道真相。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
You know why people say giving feedback is so hard? 你知道为什么人们总说给反馈很难?
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
They don't practice. 因为他们都没有实践。
Let's take the annual performance review. 我们来看看年度绩效考核。
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
What else do you do in your whole life that you're really good at that you only do once a year? 在你的一生中,你还做过 哪些一年只做一次, 还做得很棒的事情?
Here's what I found: humans can hear anything if it's true. 这是我发现的: 如果一件事是真实的, 人们都会乐意去倾听。
So let's rethink the word "feedback," 所以让我们重新思考“反馈”这个词,
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法;
and think about it as telling people the truth, the honest truth, about what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong, in the moment when they're doing it. 把它想成告诉人们真相,诚实的真相, 在他们做对了什么 又做错了什么,
That good thing you just did, whoo! 你刚做了件出色的工作,喔!
That's exactly what I'm talking about. 这就是我在谈论的。
Go do that again. 再来一次。
And people will do that again, today, three more times. 今天,人们还会这样做三次。
Lesson six: Your company needs to live out its values. 经验6:你的公司需要践行它的价值观。
I was talking to a company not long ago, to the CEO. 不久之前我和一个公司的CEO谈过。
He was having trouble because the company was rocky and things weren't getting done on time, and he felt like things were sloppy . 他遇到了烦心事,因为公司难以维持下去, 事情总是没法及时做完, 他觉得很多事情做得很草率。
rocky:adj.岩石的;多岩石的;困难的;难以维持的; sloppy:adj.草率的;粗心的;泥泞的;肥大的;稀薄的;
This also was a man who, I observed , never showed up to any meeting on time. 我注意到,他也是这样一个人, 开会时从来没法准时到场。
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
Ever. 从来都是。
If you're part of a leadership team, the most important thing that you can do to " uphold your values" is to live them. 如果你是领导层, 为了“坚持自己的价值观”,你能做的 最重要的事情就是去言传身教。
uphold:v.支撑;鼓励;赞成;举起;
People can't be what they can't see. 人们不能以他们看不见的东西为榜样。
We say, "Yes, we're here for equality," 我们说,“是的,我们为了平等而来,”
and then we proudly pound our chest because we'd achieved 30 percent representation of women on an executive team. 然后我们表现得信誓旦旦, 因为我们的高管团队中女性比例 达到了30%。
proudly:傲慢地 representation:n.表现;代表;描述;陈述 executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的;
Well that's not equal, that's 30 percent. 但这不是平等,只是30%。
Lesson seven: All start-up ideas are stupid. 经验7:所有的创业想法都很愚蠢。
start-up:n.启动;adj.起动阶段的;开始阶段的(异体字startup);
I spend a lot of time with start-ups , and I have a lot of friends that work in larger, more established companies. 我在创业公司待了很长时间, 我有很多朋友在更大, 更具规模的公司工作。
start-ups:起动;新兴公司(start-up的名词复数); established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式)
They are always pooh-poohing the companies that I work with. 他们总是对我的公司嗤之以鼻。
pooh-poohing:v.说…不真实;对…不屑一顾(或嗤之以鼻)(pooh-pooh的现在分词)
'"That is such a stupid idea."
Well, guess what: all start-up ideas are stupid. 你猜怎么着,所有的 创业点子都是愚蠢的。
If they were reasonable , somebody else would have already been doing them. 如果是合理的,其他人就已经在做了。
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
Lesson eight: Every company needs to be excited for change. 经验8:每个公司都应该积极拥抱变化。
Beware of the smoke of nostalgia . 小心怀旧的烟雾。
Beware:v.小心;提防; nostalgia:n.乡愁;怀旧之情;怀乡病;
If you find yourself saying, "Remember the way it used to be?" 如果你发现自己这样说: “还记得它过去的样子吗?”
I want you to shift your thinking to say, "Think about the way it's going to be." 我希望你能转变一下想法, “想想它的未来会是什么样子。”
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
If I had a dream company, 如果我有家理想的公司,
I would walk in the door and I would say, "Everything's changed, all bets are off. 我会走进来并且说, “一切都变了,什么都可能发生。
bets:v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿(bet的第三人称单数)
We were running as fast as we can to the right, and now we'll take a hard left ." 过去,我们以最快的速度跑到了右边, 现在我们要向左走。”
hard left:n.极左派;
And everybody would go "Yes!" 而公司里的每个人都会说:“好的!”
It's a pretty exciting world out there, and it's changing all the time. 这是一个非常令人兴奋的世界, 它一直都在变化。
The more we embrace it and get excited about it, the more fun we're going to have. 我们越积极地拥抱它并为之兴奋, 我们就会拥有越多的乐趣。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;