返回首页

PatrickChappatte_2010G-_漫画的力量_

So yeah, I'm a newspaper cartoonist -- political cartoonist. 对,我是一位报纸漫画家—— 政治漫画家
cartoonist:n.漫画家;
I don't know if you've heard about it -- newspapers? 我不知道你们是否听说过——报纸?
It's a sort of paper-based reader. 它是一种以纸为媒介的读物
paper-based:纸基的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's lighter than an iPad, it's a bit cheaper. 它比iPod轻巧 便宜一点
You know what they say? 你知道人们怎么说吗?
They say the print media is dying -- who says that? Well, the media. 他们说印刷媒体正在消亡 谁说的?嗯,媒体自己说的
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
But this is no news, right? 但这不是什么新闻了,是吗?
You've read about it already. 你们已经早有所闻了
(Laughter) (笑声)
Ladies and gentlemen, the world has gotten smaller. 女士们,先生们 世界已变得越来越小
I know it's a cliche , but look, look how small, how tiny it has gotten. 我知道这是陈词滥调,但瞧! 瞧它有多小 有多微不足道
cliche:n.陈词滥调;[印刷]铅版;陈腐思想;adj.陈腐的;
And you know the reason why, of course. 当然,你们知道原因何在
This is because of technology -- yeah. 罪魁祸首是科学技术,是的
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Any computer designers in the room? 在这个房间里有电脑设计师吗?
Yeah well, you guys are making my life miserable because track pads used to be round, a nice round shape. 好吧 你们这些家伙使我的生活变得不幸 因为触控板一直都是圆的 完美的圆形
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; pads:n.软垫,护垫; v.填充,覆盖,保护; (pad的第三人称单数和复数)
That makes a good cartoon. 这能打造一幅好漫画
But what are you going to do with a flat track pad, those square things? 但是你们打算怎么对付一块平的触控板 那些方方正正的东西?
There's nothing I can do as a cartoonist. 作为一个漫画家我无计可施
Well, I know the world is flat now. 好,我知道世界现在是平的了
That's true. 那千真万确
And the Internet has reached every corner of the world, the poorest, the remotest places. 因特网已经进入 世界的每个角落 甚至是最贫穷,最偏远的地区
remotest:adj.偏远的; (remote的最高级)
Every village in Africa now has a cyber cafe. 现在非洲的每一个村庄都有公共网吧
cyber:adj.网络的,计算机的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Don't go asking for a Frappuccino there. 别去那儿点杯星冰乐
Frappuccino:n.星冰乐;星巴克产品;
So we are bridging the digital divide. 所以我们正架起连接信息鸿沟的桥梁
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
The Third World is connected, we are connected. 连接起第三世界 连接起我们所有人
Third World:n.第三世界;
And what happens next? 那么下一步会发生什么?
Well, you've got mail. 好吧,你们收到了邮件
Yeah. 是呀
Well, the Internet has empowered us. 好吧,因特网给我们力量
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
It has empowered you, it has empowered me and it has empowered some other guys as well. 给你力量 给我力量 而且也给其他一些家伙力量
(Laughter) (笑声)
You know, these last two cartoons -- 你知道,这后面两张漫画是
I did them live during a conference in Hanoi . 我当场 在河内的一次会议期间所作
conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) Hanoi:n.河内(越南首都);
And they were not used to that in communist 2.0 Vietnam. 在共产主义2.0版的越南 他们对这些并不习惯
communist:n.共产党员;共产主义者;adj.共产主义的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I was cartooning live on a wide screen -- it was quite a sensation -- and then this guy came to me. 所以我正在一个宽屏幕上当场作画 当时相当轰动 然后这家伙过来了
cartooning:v.卡通漫画制作;卡通(cartoon的ing形式); sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
He was taking pictures of me and of my sketches , and I thought, "This is great, a Vietnamese fan." 他对着我和我的速写拍照 我想:“太好了,一个越南粉丝。”
sketches:n.[测]草图; v.素描,写生(sketch的第三人称单数); Vietnamese:n.越南人;越南语;adj.越南的;越南人的;
And as he came the second day, 当他第二天又来了的时候
I thought, "Wow, that's really a cartoon lover ." 我想:“哇,真是个漫画爱好者!”
lover:n.爱好者;情侣;热爱者;
And on the third day, I finally understood, the guy was actually on duty. 直到第三天,我终于明白 这家伙实际上是在执勤
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
So by now, there must be a hundred pictures of me smiling with my sketches in the files of the Vietnamese police. 所以到现在为止,一定有一百多张我 拿着我的速写笑对镜头的照片 存放在越南警察局的档案里
(Laughter) (笑声)
No, but it's true: the Internet has changed the world. 不,但这千真万确:因特网已经改变了这个世界
It has rocked the music industry; it has changed the way we consume music. 它已震撼了音乐产业 它改变了我们消费音乐的方式
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
For those of you old enough to remember, we used to have to go to the store to steal it. 你们中那些上了年纪的人一定记得 我们过去常常得走进店家 顺手牵羊
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it has changed the way your future employer will look at your application . 而且因特网已经改变了 你未来的老板 审视你的应聘简历的方式
employer:n.雇主,老板; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
So be careful with that Facebook account -- your momma told you, be careful. 所以小心 你的facebook帐户 你妈妈告诉过你,当心点准没错
momma:n.妈妈;
And technology has set us free -- this is free WiFi. 而且科学技术让我们获得自由 这是免费的无线上网
But yeah, it has liberated us from the office desk. 但真的,它把我们 从办公桌旁解放了出来
liberated:adj.不受传统思想束缚的,开放的; v.解放; (liberate的过去式和过去分词)
This is your life, enjoy it. 这就是你的生活 尽情享受吧
(Laughter) (笑声)
In short, technology, the internet, they have changed our lifestyle. 简而言之,科技,因特网 它们已经改变了我们的生活方式
Tech guru , like this man -- that a German magazine called the philosopher of the 21st century -- they are shaping the way we do things. 科技领袖们,比如这位先生—— 一本德国杂志称其为21世纪的哲学家 他们正塑造着我们的行事方式
guru:n.古鲁(指印度教等宗教的宗师或领袖);领袖;专家; philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
They are shaping the way we consume. 他们正塑造着我们的消费方式
They are shaping our very desires. 他们正塑造着我们的特殊愿望
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
You will not like it. 你不会喜欢
And technology has even changed our relationship to God. 而且科技甚至已经改变了 我们同上帝的关系
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now I shouldn't get into this. 现在我不该染指这一问题
Religion and political cartoons, as you may have heard, make a difficult couple, ever since that day of 2005, when a bunch of cartoonists in Denmark drew cartoons that had repercussions all over the world -- demonstrations , fatwa , they provoked violence . People died in the violence . 宗教和政治漫画 你们也许听说过 很难成双入对 自从2005年的那一天 当时丹麦的一群漫画家 他们的漫画在全世界产生反响 游行,教令裁决 他们挑起了暴力,人们在暴力中丧命
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; cartoonists:n.漫画家; repercussions:n.反响,影响(repercussion的复数形式); demonstrations:n.示范,展示(demonstration复数); fatwa:n.法学家的裁决; provoked:v.激起;引发;挑衅;刺激;(provoke的过去分词和过去式) violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
This was so sickening; people died because of cartoons. 这是如此令人厌恶 人们因漫画而殒命
I mean -- 我的意思是——
I had the feeling at the time that cartoons had been used by both sides, actually. 当时我有这种感觉 实际上,那些漫画被事件的双方所利用
They were used first by a Danish newspaper, which wanted to make a point on Islam. 最初它们被丹麦报纸所利用 报纸想证明其对伊斯兰教的看法
Danish:adj.丹麦的;丹麦人的;丹麦语(文)的;n.丹麦语; to make a point:表明一种观点;
A Danish cartoonist told me he was one of the 24 who received the assignment to draw the prophet -- 12 of them refused. Did you know that? 一位丹麦漫画家告诉我,他是24位 接受描画先知穆罕默德的任务的画家之一 你们知道吗?其中的12位画家拒绝了这一任务
assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务: prophet:n.先知;预言者;提倡者;
He told me, "Nobody has to tell me what I should draw. 他告诉我:“没人能指挥我该画些什么,
This is not how it works." 漫画不是这样创作出来的。”
And then, of course, they were used by extremists and politicians on the other side . 然后,当然,他们又被 另一方的极端分子和政治家所利用
extremists:n.极端主义者;极端分子;过激分子;(extremist的复数) politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
They wanted to stir up controversy . 他们想要挑起争端
stir:v.搅拌;搅动;激发;搅和;n.搅拌;搅动;震动;搅和; controversy:n.争论;论战;辩论;
You know the story. 你们知道这个故事
We know that cartoons can be used as weapons. 我们知道,漫画可以被用作武器
History tells us, they've been used by the Nazis to attack the Jews. 历史告诉我们 漫画曾被纳粹德国所利用 来攻击犹太人
Nazis:n.纳粹;纳粹党人(nazi的复数);
And here we are now. 而现在
In the United Nations , half of the world is pushing to penalize the offense to religion -- they call it the defamation of religion -- while the other half of the world is fighting back in defense of freedom of speech. 在联合国 世界上的一半国家正敦促 对冒犯宗教信仰进行惩戒—— 他们称之为宗教诽谤—— 而世界的另一半的正在反击它 以保护言论的自由
United Nations:n.联合国; penalize:vt.处罚;处刑;使不利; offense:n.犯罪,过错;进攻;触怒;引起反感的事物; defamation:n.诽谤;中伤; other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
So the clash of civilizations is here, and cartoons are at the middle of it? 所以这就有了文明冲突 而漫画被夹在其中
clash:v.冲突; n.冲突; civilizations:n.文明(civilization的复数形式);
This got me thinking. 这引起我的思考
Now you see me thinking at my kitchen table, and since you're in my kitchen, please meet my wife. 现在你看见我在苦思冥想 在我的厨房桌旁 既然你们在我家厨房 请认识一下我的夫人
(Laughter) (笑声)
In 2006, a few months after, 在2006年,也就是几个月后
I went Ivory Coast -- 我去了象牙海岸——
Western Africa. 西部非洲
Now, talk of a divided place -- the country was cut in two. 现在,讨论一下一个分裂的地区。这个国家被分割成两部分
You had a rebellion in the North, the government in the South -- the capital, Abidjan -- and in the middle, the French army. 北部是叛军 政府军在南部,那里有首都,阿比让 而中间是法国军队
rebellion:n.谋反;叛乱;反叛;反抗;叛逆;
This looks like a giant hamburger. 这看上去像一只巨大的汉堡包
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的
You don't want to be the ham in the middle. 你不想成为夹在其中的火腿吧
I was there to report on that story in cartoons. 我在那儿报道那个事件 用漫画的形式
I've been doing this for the last 15 years; it's my side job, if you want. 在过去的15年里我一直这样工作 这是我的副业,如果你也想干的话
So you see the style is different. 所以你看,风格不一样
This is more serious than maybe editorial cartooning. 这也许比社论漫画更严肃
editorial:adj.编辑的;社论的;n.社论;
I went to places like Gaza during the war in 2009. 我去过一些地方,如加沙 在2009年的战争期间
So this is really journalism in cartoons. 所以这是真正的新闻漫画
journalism:n.新闻业,新闻工作;报章杂志;
You'll hear more and more about it. 你会听到越来越多的关于它的内容
This is the future of journalism, I think. 我认为这是新闻工作的未来
And of course, I went to see the rebels in the north. 当然,我去见了北部的叛军
rebels:n.反叛者(rebel的复数形式);v.谋反(rebel的第三人称单数形式);
Those were poor guys fighting for their rights. 那是些为争取自己权利而战的穷小子
There was an ethnic side to this conflict as very often in Africa. 这场冲突中有种族因素 这在非洲很常见
ethnic:adj.种族的;人种的; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
And I went to see the Dozo. 我还去见了当地土著Dozo人
The Dozo, they are the traditional hunters of West Africa. 这些当地的Dozo人是 西非的传统猎人
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
People fear them -- they help the rebellion a lot. 人们惧怕他们 他们经常帮助叛军
They are believed to have magical powers. 人们相信他们有神奇的力量
They can disappear and escape bullets . 他们能隐身,还能避弹
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在; bullets:n.子弹;弹丸;(bullet的复数)
I went to see a Dozo chief; he told me about his magical powers. 我去见了一位Dozo人酋长 他告诉我他的这种神奇的力量
He said, "I can chop your head off right away and bring you back to life." 他说:“我可以马上把你的脑袋砍下来 然后让你复活。“
chop:v.砍;劈;切碎;剁碎;n.砍;劈;剁;猪(或羊等)排; right away:立刻;
I said, "Well, maybe we don't have time for this right now." 我说,“哦,也许现在我们没时间这么干。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Another time." “下次吧。”
So back in Abidjan, 那么回到阿比让
I was given a chance to lead a workshop with local cartoonists there and I thought, yes, in a context like this, cartoons can really be used as weapons against the other side. 我有一次机会来领导一个工作室 同那儿的当地漫画家一起 我想,是的, 在像这样一种情况下,漫画真的可以被用作武器 来对抗另一方
workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习; context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
I mean, the press in Ivory Coast was bitterly divided -- it was compared to the media in Rwanda before the genocide -- so imagine. 我的意思是,象牙海岸的新闻界严重分裂 可以与 种族灭绝前的卢旺达媒体相提并论 所以想象一下
bitterly:adv.苦涩地,悲痛地;残酷地;怨恨地; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀;
And what can a cartoonist do? 一个漫画家可以有何作为?
Sometimes editors would tell their cartoonists to draw what they wanted to see, and the guy has to feed his family, right? 有时候编辑会告诉他们手下的漫画家 画些他们想看的东西 而这手下得养家糊口,对吗
So the idea was pretty simple. 这样构思就非常简单了
We brought together cartoonists from all sides in Ivory Coast. 我们把 象牙海岸所有不同立场的漫画家聚集在一起
We took them away from their newspaper for three days. 我们让他们离开他们的报社3天
And I asked them to do a project together, tackle the issues affecting their country in cartoons, yes, in cartoons. 我要求他们一起合作一个项目 用漫画来处理困扰他们国家的问题 是的,用漫画的形式
tackle:v.处理; n.用具; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Show the positive power of cartoons. 来表现漫画的积极力量
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
It's a great tool of communication for bad or for good. 这是一种伟大的交流工具 不论是好是坏
And cartoons can cross boundaries , as you have seen. 漫画可以超越某些界限 正如你所看见的
boundaries:n.边界;分界线;(boundary的复数)
And humor is a good way, I think, to address serious issues. 而且我认为,幽默是一种 表达严肃问题的好方式
humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就;
And I'm very proud of what they did. 而且我对他们所作所为感到非常骄傲
I mean, they didn't agree with each other -- that was not the point. 我的意思是,他们并不互相苟同——那并不重要
And I didn't ask them to do nice cartoons. 而且我没有要求他们画好漫画
The first day, they were even shouting at each other. 第一天,他们甚至互相吼叫
But they came up with a book, looking back at 13 years of political crisis in Ivory Coast. 但是他们最终出了本书 回顾了13年来 象牙海岸的政治危机
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
So the idea was there. 所以他们的想法都在书里
And I've been doing projects like this, in 2009 in Lebanon , this year in Kenya, back in January. 而且我一直在做类似的项目 2009年在黎巴嫩 今年1月份,在肯尼亚
Lebanon:n.黎巴嫩(西南亚国家,位于地中海东岸);
In Lebanon, it was not a book. 在黎巴嫩时,没有出书
The idea was to have -- the same principal , a divided country -- take cartoonists from all sides and let them do something together. 构思建立在 相同的原则上,一个分裂的国家—— 来自各方立场的漫画家 让他们一起合作
principal:adj.主要的;资本的;n.首长;校长;资本;当事人;
So in Lebanon, we enrolled the newspaper editors, and we got them to publish eight cartoonists from all sides all together on the same page , addressing the issue affecting Lebanon, like religion in politics and everyday life. 于是在黎巴嫩 我们拉报纸编辑们入伙 而且我们让他们把 来自敌对各方的8位漫画家的作品一起发表在同一版面上 讨论困扰黎巴嫩的问题 如政治中的宗教问题和日常生活问题
enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式) publish:v.出版;发表;公布; on the same page:在同一页上;进度相同;达成共识; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
And it worked. 这个方法起作用了
For three days, almost all the newspapers of Beirut published all those cartoonists together -- anti-government , pro-government , 整整3天,几乎贝鲁特所有的报纸 都一起发表了那些漫画作品 反政府报纸 亲政府报纸
Beirut:n.贝鲁特(黎巴嫩一港口); anti-government:反政府; pro-government:亲政府的;
Christian, 基督教报纸
Muslim, of course, 当然,还有穆斯林报纸
English-speaking, well, you name it. 英语报,嗯,你能想得到的所有报纸
So this was a great project. 所以这是一个了不起的项目
And then in Kenya, what we did was addressing the issue of ethnicity , which is a poison in a lot of places in Africa. 然后在肯尼亚,我们所做的项目 是讨论种族问题 这在非洲的许多地方是个棘手问题
ethnicity:n.种族划分;
And we did video clips -- you can see them if you go to YouTube/Kenyatoons. 而且我们制作了视频剪辑 如果你们上Youtube/kenyatunes就可以观看这个视频
clips:n.夹子; v.夹住;
So, preaching for freedom of speech is easy here, but as you have seen in contexts of repression or division , again, what can a cartoonist do? 所以,在这儿宣扬言论自由 是小事一桩 但是正如你所知道的 在高压或分裂状态下 一个漫画家又能做些什么呢?
preaching:v.讲道(尤指教堂中礼拜时); n.讲道; (preach的现在分词) contexts:n.环境,[计]上下文(context复数); repression:n.抑制,[心理]压抑;镇压; division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧;
He has to keep his job. 他得保住饭碗
Well I believe that in any context anywhere, he always has the choice at least not to do a cartoon that will feed hatred . 嗯, 我相信在任何地方的任何情况下 他的选择总是起码 避免作一幅漫画 来助长人与人之间的仇恨
hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶;
And that's the message I try to convey to them. 那就是我想向他们传达的信息
convey:vt.传达;运输;让与;
I think we all always have the choice in the end not to do the bad thing. 我认为,无论是谁一直到最后都有机会选择 不做坏事
But we need to support these [unclear], critical and responsible voices in Africa, in Lebanon, in your local newspaper, in the Apple store. 但是我们必须支持 这些批判性的、 负责任的声音 不管是在非洲,还是在黎巴嫩 不论是在当地的报纸上, 还是在苹果商店
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
Today, tech companies are the world's largest editors. 如今,科技公司 成为世界上最大的编辑部
They decide what is too offensive or too provocative for you to see. 他们决定你们看的东西哪些太无礼 哪些太具争议
offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的; provocative:adj.刺激的,挑拨的;气人的;n.刺激物,挑拨物;兴奋剂;
So really, it's not about the freedom of cartoonists; it's about your freedoms. 所以,真的,这不是事关漫画家的自由 这事关你们的自由
And for dictators all over the world, the good news is when cartoonists, journalists and activists shut up. 而且对于全世界的独裁者来说 好消息就是 当漫画家们 记者们和社会活动积极分子们都闭嘴的时候
dictators:n.独裁者;发号施令者;专横的人;(dictator的复数) journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)