|
|
PatrickAwuah_2007G-_领袖型人才的培养_
|
Like many of you here, I am trying to contribute towards a renaissance in Africa. |
像在座的很多人一样,我一直在不懈地 为实现非洲的复兴而努力。 |
contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献; renaissance:n.文艺复兴(欧洲14至17世纪);
|
The question of transformation in Africa really is a question of leadership. |
非洲要实现转型的 关键是领导力。 |
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
|
Africa can only be transformed by enlightened leaders. |
只有开明的领导者才能改变非洲。 |
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式) enlightened:adj.开明的; v.启发; (enlighten的过去分词和过去式)
|
And it is my contention that the manner in which we educate our leaders is fundamental to progress on this continent . |
我的论点是, 我们教育培养领袖型人才的模式是 这个大陆进步的基础。 |
contention:n.争论,争辩;争夺;论点; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的;
|
I want to tell you some stories that explain my view. |
我想给你们讲一些故事,来解释我的观点。 |
We all heard about the importance of stories yesterday. |
我们昨天都听说了故事的重要性。 |
An American friend of mine, this year, volunteered as a nurse in Ghana. |
我的一个美国朋友,今年,到加纳去做一名志愿护士。 |
volunteered:v.自愿做;义务做;自愿参军;(volunteer的过去分词和过去式)
|
And in a period of three months, she came to a conclusion about the state of leadership in Africa that had taken me over a decade to reach. |
3个月后,她得出一个 我用了十多年的时间才明白的 关于非洲的领袖人才的状态的结论。 |
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
|
Twice she was involved in surgeries where they lost power at the hospital. |
有两次,她参与的手术过程中 医院停电了, |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数);
|
The emergency generators did not start -- there was not a flashlight, not a lantern, not a candle. |
紧急发电机没有启动, 也没有手电筒,没有手提灯,甚至连一支蜡烛都没有。 |
emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; generators:n.[电]发电机;[计]生成器(generator的复数);
|
Pitch black. |
漆黑一片! |
Pitch:v.抛:用力扔:针对:触地:n.场地:程度:力度:推销的话:纵摇:
|
The patient 's cut open -- twice. |
两次都是患者的开刀伤口还打开在的时候。 |
patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
|
The first time it was a C-section . |
第一次是剖腹产。 |
C-section:n.剖腹产;
|
Thankfully , baby was out -- mother and child survived. |
谢天谢地,幸好婴儿当时已经出来了,后来母子平安。 |
Thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地;
|
The second time was a procedure that involved local anesthesia . |
第二次手术包括局部麻醉, |
procedure:n.步骤;手术;(商业、法律或政治上的)程序; anesthesia:n.麻醉;麻木(等于anaesthesia);
|
Anesthetic wears off. The patient feels pain. |
停电的时候麻醉逐渐消失,患者感到疼痛。 |
Anesthetic:adj.麻醉的;感觉缺失的;n.麻醉剂,麻药;
|
He's crying. He's screaming. He's praying. |
他哭喊,尖叫,祈祷。 |
Pitch black. Not a candle, not a flashlight. |
漆黑一片!没有蜡烛,没有手电筒! |
And that hospital could have afforded flashlights. |
而其实那个医院应该是可以提供手电筒的, |
afforded:vt.给予,提供;买得起;
|
They could have afforded to purchase these things, but they didn't. |
他们有那个钱去买这些东西,但是他们没有。 |
purchase:n.购买;采购;购买的东西;购买项目;v.购买;采购;
|
And it happened twice. |
而且这种现象发生了两次。 |
Another time, she watched in horror as nurses watched a patient die because they refused to give her oxygen that they had. |
另外一次,她无比惊恐地和护士们一起眼睁睁地看着一个病人死去, 因为他们拒绝给病人输氧气,而医院是有氧气的。 |
horror:n.恐惧;厌恶;震惊;对某事物的强烈畏惧(或憎恨);
|
And so, three months later, just before she returned to the United States, nurses in Accra go on strike. |
因此,3个月后, 就在她回美国前, 阿克拉医院的护士举行罢工。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
And her recommendation is take this opportunity to fire everyone, start all over again. |
她的建议是, 抓住这个机会把所有人解雇,从头再来。 |
recommendation:n.推荐;介绍;提议;正式建议;
|
Start all over again. |
从头再来! |
Now what does this have to do with leadership? |
那么,这个故事和领导力有什么关系? |
have to do with:与…有关;
|
You see, the faults of the ministry of health, the hospital administrators , the doctors, the nurses -- they are among just 5 percent of their peers who get an education after secondary school . |
你知道吗,这些错误来自于卫生部, 医院的管理人员,医生,和护士—— 而他们是同龄人中的百分之五的精英, 只有他们接受了中学以上的教育。 |
ministry:n.(政府的)部门; administrators:n.[管理]管理员;完全程序(administrator的复数形式); peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式); secondary school:中等学校;
|
They are the elite . They are our leaders. |
他们是中流砥柱,是我们的领导者。 |
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物;
|
Their decisions, their actions matter. |
他们的决定和行为都举足轻重。 |
And when they fail, a nation, literally , suffers. |
如果他们不行,整个民族,不夸张地说,都受连累。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
So when I speak of leadership, |
因此我所说的领导力, |
I'm not talking about just political leaders. |
并不是只局限于政界领袖。 |
We've heard a lot about that. |
那些东西我们已经听得太多了, |
I'm talking about the elite. |
我说的是社会精英层人才, |
Those who've been trained. |
那些接受了教育的人, |
Whose job it is to be the guardians of their society. |
那些应该以社会督导为职业的人。 |
guardians:n.保护人,[法]监护人(guardian的复数形式);
|
The lawyers, the judges, the policemen, the doctors, the engineers, the civil servants -- those are the leaders. |
律师,法官,警察,医生, 工程师,公务员…… 他们都是领导, |
civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; servants:n.仆人;服务员(servant的复数);
|
And we need to train them right. |
我们应该正确地培养他们。 |
Now, my first pointed and memorable experience with leadership in Ghana occurred when I was 16 years old. |
关于在加纳的领导力问题,我第一次难忘的经历 发生在我16岁的时候。 |
memorable:adj.显著的,难忘的;值得纪念的; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
|
We had just had a military coup , and soldiers were pervasive in our society. |
那时候我们国家刚刚发生了军事政变, 社会上到处都是士兵。 |
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; coup:n.政变; v.使…颠倒; pervasive:adj.普遍的;到处渗透的;流行的;
|
They were a pervasive presence . |
到处都是。 |
presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态;
|
And one day I go to the airport to meet my father, and as I walk up this grassy slope from the car park to the terminal building, |
一天我去机场去接我爸爸, 我正从停车场沿着草坡 向航站楼走, |
airport:n.机场;航空港; grassy:adj.长满草的;草绿色的; slope:n.斜坡;坡度;坡地;山坡;v.倾斜;有坡度;悄悄地走;潜行; terminal:n.终端;航站楼;终端机;航空终点站;adj.晚期的;不治的;致命的;患绝症的;
|
I'm stopped by two soldiers wielding AK-47 assault weapons. |
两个拿着AK-47机关枪的士兵拦住了我, |
wielding:v.拥有,运用,行使,支配(权力等);(wield的现在分词) assault:v.袭击;殴打;威胁;非议;(assault的现在分词)
|
And they asked me to join a crowd of people that were running up and down this embankment . |
他们命令我加入一群人 在堤坝上跑上跑下。 |
embankment:n.路堤;堤防;
|
Why? Because the path I had taken was considered out of bounds . |
为什么?因为我刚才走的路是禁止入内的。 |
out of bounds:adj.禁止入内的;不得越过的;adv.界外;
|
No sign to this affect. |
而其实并没有禁止入内的标志。 |
Now, I was 16. I was very worried about what my peers at school might think if they saw me running up and down this hill. |
那时我16岁,很担心 学校的同学会笑话我, 如果他们看到我在山坡上跑上跑下。 |
I was especially concerned of what the girls might think. |
我尤其担心女孩儿们会怎么想。 |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
|
And so I started to argue with these men. |
于是我和这些士兵争执。 |
It was a little reckless , but, you know, I was 16. |
那确实有点鲁莽,但是,你知道,我才16岁。 |
reckless:adj.鲁莽的,不顾后果的;粗心大意的;
|
I got lucky. |
我很幸运。 |
A Ghana Airways pilot falls into the same predicament . |
一个加纳航空的飞行员也陷入了同样的困境。 |
Airways:n.航空公司;广播频道; predicament:n.窘况,困境;状态;
|
Because of his uniform they speak to him differently, and they explain to him that they're just following orders. |
因为他穿着飞行员制服,那些士兵对他说话的态度有点不一样, 还向他解释他们只是执行命令。 |
uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样;
|
So he takes their radio, talks to their boss, and gets us all released . |
所以飞行员拿过他们的对讲机,跟他们的上司讲话, 然后我们都被释放了。 |
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
|
What lessons would you take from an experience like this? |
你从类似这种经历当中能领悟到什么? |
Several, for me. |
对我来说,我领悟到下面几点: |
Leadership matters. Those men are following the orders of a superior officer. |
领导才能很重要。那些士兵们是在遵从 一个上级官员的命令。 |
superior:n.上级;上司;adj.(在品质上)更好的;占优势的;更胜一筹的;
|
I learned something about courage. |
我还学会了要有勇气。 |
It was important not to look at those guns. |
不被那些枪吓倒是很重要的。 |
And I also learned that it can be helpful to think about girls. |
而且我还懂得了想一想女孩儿也是有帮助的。 |
(Laughter) |
(观众笑) |
So a few years after this event, I leave Ghana on a scholarship to go to Swarthmore College for my education. |
后来,这件事的几年后,我拿到奖学金离开加纳 去斯沃斯莫尔(Swarthmore)文理学院接受教育, |
scholarship:n.奖学金;学问;学识;学术成就;
|
It was a breath of fresh air . |
真是耳目一新。 |
breath of fresh air:呼吸新鲜空气;使人耳目一新,带来新鲜感;
|
You know, the faculty there didn't want us to memorize information and repeat back to them, as I was used to back in Ghana. |
你知道,那里的教员不让我们去死记硬背, 不像以前我在加纳所习惯的一样。 |
faculty:n.科,系;能力;全体教员; memorize:v.记住;记忆;
|
They wanted us to think critically . |
他们培养我们有辨析批判性地思考, |
critically:adv.精密地;危急地;批评性地;用钻研眼光地;
|
They wanted us to be analytical . |
教我们养成分析的习惯。 |
analytical:adj.分析的;解析的;善于分析的;
|
They wanted us to be concerned about social issues . |
他们希望我们关心社会问题。 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
In my economics classes I got high marks for my understanding of basic economics. |
我的经济学课程得了高分, 因为我对经济学基础的理解。 |
But I learned something more profound than that, which is that the leaders -- the managers of Ghana's economy -- were making breathtakingly bad decisions that had brought our economy to the brink of collapse . |
但是我学会了比那更意义深远的东西: 那些领导,加纳经济的管理者, 做的令人震惊的错误的决定 使我们的经济走到了崩溃的边缘。 |
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的; economy:n.经济;节约;理财; breathtakingly:adv.惊人地;令人激动地; brink:n.(峭壁的)边缘; collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
|
And so here was this lesson again -- leadership matters. |
所以现在又回到了前面的这个教训——领导能力是重要的。 |
It matters a great deal. |
它真的是非常重要。 |
But I didn't really fully understand what had happened to me at Swarthmore. |
但是我并不能真正充分地理解斯沃斯莫尔学院对我的影响。 |
I had an inkling . |
我只有一个模糊的概念, |
inkling:n.暗示;略知;模糊概念;v.暗示(inkle的ing形式);略知;低声说出;
|
But I didn't fully realize it until I went out into the workplace , and I went to work at Microsoft Corporation . |
直到我走出校园去工作才充分意识到。 我去的是微软公司, |
workplace:n.工作场所;车间; Corporation:n.法人;(大)公司;法人团体;市政委员会;
|
And I was part of this team -- this thinking, learning team whose job it was to design and implement new software that created value in the world. |
成为了团队的一份子——一个不断思考和学习着的团队, 我们的工作就是设计和编程, 在全世界都创造着价值。 |
implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具;
|
And it was brilliant to be part of this team. |
成为这个团队的一员是非常棒的, |
It was brilliant. |
这个团队非常杰出。 |
And I realized just what had happened to me at Swarthmore, this transformation -- the ability to confront problems, complex problems, and to design solutions to those problems. |
我这才明白了斯沃斯莫尔学院给了我什么, 这个教育改变了我,它让我能够 去挑战问题,复杂的问题, 去设计方案来解决问题。 |
confront:v.直面;无法回避;降临于;处理;对抗; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
|
The ability to create is the most empowering thing that can happen to an individual . |
创造能力是对于个人而言 最能赋予人力量的。 |
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词) individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
|
And I was part of that. |
我当时成为了其中的一部分。 |
Now, while I was at Microsoft, the annual revenues of that company grew larger than the GDP of the Republic of Ghana. |
当我在微软的时候,公司的年收入 增长到比整个加纳共和国的GDP还高。 |
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; revenues:n.[会计]收入;税收;[会计]收益;营业收入(revenue的复数形式);
|
And, by the way , it's continued to. |
并且,顺便说一句,微软的年收入一直在持续增长, |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
The gap has widened since I left. |
从我离开微软后,这个差距更大了。 |
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; widened:v.变宽;加宽;拓宽;扩展;(widen的过去分词和过去式)
|
Now, I've already spoken about one of the reasons why this has occurred. |
其实,我刚才已经说了为什么会产生这样的现象的一个原因。 |
I mean, it's the people there who are so hardworking, persistent , creative , empowered . |
我的意思是,是因为在微软工作的人们非常勤奋, 坚持不懈,有创造力,能发挥自己的能力。 |
persistent:adj.固执的,坚持的;持久稳固的; creative:adj.创造性的; empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
|
But there were also some external factors : free markets, the rule of law, infrastructure . |
但是也有一些外部因素,比如: 自由市场,法律治国,基础设施。 |
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
These things were provided by institutions run by the people that I call leaders. |
这些东西都是由社会制度提供的, 是我称之为“领导”的人们在运行着这个制度体系。 |
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式) institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
|
And those leaders did not emerge spontaneously . |
那些领导不是自然自发产生的, |
spontaneously:adv.自发地;自然地;不由自主地;
|
Somebody trained them to do the work that they do. |
而是有人培养了他们做现在的工作的。 |
Now, while I was at Microsoft, this funny thing happened, |
当我还在微软的时候,有意思, |
I became a parent. |
我成为了父亲。 |
And for the first time, Africa mattered more to me than ever before. |
第一次,非洲比以前对我来说更重要了, |
Because I realized that the state of the African continent would matter to my children and their children. |
因为我意识到非洲大陆的状态 将影响到我的孩子和他们的孩子。 |
That the state of the world -- the state of the world depends on what's happening to Africa, as far as my kids would be concerned. |
我意识到全世界的状态 也取决于非洲在发生什么, 至少对于我的孩子是这样的。 |
as far as:至于…;
|
And at this time when I was going through what I call my "pre-mid-life crisis ." |
当时我正在经历 我自称的“近中年危机”, |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
Africa was a mess . |
非洲也混乱一片。 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
Somalia had disintegrated into anarchy . |
索马里已经陷入了无政府状态, |
disintegrated:v.碎裂;解体;分裂;衰微;瓦解;(disintegrate的过去分词和过去式) anarchy:n.无政府状态;混乱;无秩序;
|
Rwanda was in the throes of this genocidal war. |
卢旺达在种族灭绝的战争中苦苦挣扎。 |
throes:n.剧痛; v.苦苦挣扎; genocidal:adj.集团屠杀的,种族灭绝的;
|
And it seemed to me that that was the wrong direction, and I needed to be back helping. |
我认为那是错误的发展方向, 我应该回去帮助非洲。 |
I couldn't just stay in Seattle and raise my kids in an upper-middle class neighborhood and feel good about it. |
我不能只是呆在西雅图抚养我的孩子, 住在中上阶级的社区里沾沾自喜。 |
Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市); neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
|
This was not the world that I'd want my children to grow up in. |
我不想让我的孩子在这样的世界中成长。 |
So I decided to get engaged , and the first thing that I did was to come back to Ghana and talk with a lot of people and really try to understand what the real issues were. |
所以我决定行动起来,我做的第一件事 是回到加纳和许多人谈话, 努力去了解真正的问题在哪里。 |
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
|
And three things kept coming up for every problem: corruption , weak institutions and the people who run them -- the leaders. |
对于任何问题,三个东西总是浮现出来: 腐败,脆弱的制度, 还有运行制度的人——领导们。 |
corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落;
|
Now, I was a little scared because when you see those three problems, they seem really hard to deal with. |
那么,我有一点害怕, 因为当你想到那三个问题, 他们看起来非常难处理。 |
And they might say, look, don't even try. |
他们很可能会说:算了吧,试都不要试。 |
But, for me, I asked the question, "Well, where are these leaders coming from? |
但是,对我而言,我问了这个问题: “那么,这些领导是从哪里来的? |
What is it about Ghana that produces leaders that are unethical or unable to solve problems?" |
加纳是怎样制造出那些 不道德的不能解决问题的领导者的? |
unethical:adj.不道德的;缺乏职业道德的;
|
So I went to look at what was happening in our educational system. |
所以我去看看在教育系统里面到底在发生着什么。 |
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的
|
And it was the same -- learning by rote -- from primary school through graduate school . |
我发现,从小学到研究生院校都是一样: 死记硬背, |
rote:n.死记硬背;生搬硬套; primary school:小学; graduate school:研究所,研究院;
|
Very little emphasis on ethics . |
不重视伦理道德。 |
emphasis:n.强调;重视;重要性;(对某个词或短语的)强调; ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
|
And the average, you know, the typical graduate from a university in Ghana has a stronger sense of entitlement than a sense of responsibility. |
你知道吧,加纳的大学出来的典型毕业生 自我感觉享受特权是应该的, 而缺乏对社会负责任的态度。 |
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; entitlement:n.权利;津贴;
|
This is wrong. |
这是不对的。 |
So I decided to engage this particular problem. |
于是我决定针对这个具体的问题来着手。 |
Because it seems to me that every society, every society, must be very intentional about how it trains its leaders. |
因为在我看来,每个社会 必须非常认真地规划怎样来培训它的领袖型人才, |
intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的;
|
And Ghana was not paying enough attention. |
而加纳并没有给予足够的重视。 |
And this is true across sub-Saharan Africa, actually. |
实际上,整个撒哈拉以南的非洲都是这样。 |
sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
|
So this is what I'm doing now. |
这就是我正在做的事。 |
I'm trying to bring the experience that I had at Swarthmore to Africa. |
我试着把我在斯沃斯莫尔学院体验到的东西带到非洲, |
I wish there was a liberal arts college in every African country. |
希望在每个非洲国家都有文理学院。 |
liberal arts:自由教育;
|
I think it would make huge difference. |
我想这会大大地改变现状。 |
And what Ashesi University is trying to do is to train a new generation of ethical, entrepreneurial leaders. |
阿社思(Ashesi)大学正在努力做的 就是训练出一代新的有德行的,企业家式的领导者。 |
entrepreneurial:adj.企业家的,创业者的;中间商的;
|
We're trying to train leaders of exceptional integrity , who have the ability to confront the complex problems, ask the right questions, and come up with workable solutions. |
我们努力培养非常正直的学生, 他们能面对复杂的社会问题, 问出正确的问题,然后想出可以实行的措施。 |
exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生; integrity:n.完整;正直;诚实;廉正; come up with:提出;想出;赶上; workable:adj.切实可行的;可经营的;能工作的;
|
I'll admit that there are times when it seems like " Mission Impossible." |
我承认有时候觉得好像这是一个“不可能完成的任务”, |
Mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
|
But we must believe that these kids are smart. |
但是我们必须相信这些孩子们是聪明的, |
That if we involve them in their education, if we have them discuss the real issues that they confront -- that our whole society confronts -- and if we give them skills that enable them to engage the real world, that magic will happen. |
如果我们针对他们自身特点来展开他们的教育, 如果我们让他们讨论需要面对的真正的问题—— 我们整个社会都面对的问题—— 如果我们教授他们技巧使他们能在真实的世界里立足, 那么奇迹将会发生。 |
confronts:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的第三人称单数) enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行;
|
Now, a month into this project, we'd just started classes. |
深入这个项目一个月后,我们才开始上课。 |
And a month into it, I come to the office, and I have this email from one of our students. |
再一个月后,我来到办公室, 收到一个学生的邮件。 |
And it said, very simply, "I am thinking now." |
信上非常简单地写着“我开始思考了”, |
And he signs off, "Thank you." |
和签名“谢谢你”。 |
It's such a simple statement . |
这是多么简单的一个句子。 |
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
|
But I was moved almost to tears because I understood what was happening to this young man. |
我几乎感动地流泪, 因为我理解这个年轻人正在经历一个怎么样的改变。 |
And it is an awesome thing to be a part of empowering someone in this way. |
这是非常美妙的事情,能参与到 以这样的方式来发挥挖掘人的才能的项目中。 |
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
|
I am thinking now. |
我开始思考了。 |
This year, we challenged our students to craft an honor code themselves. |
今年,我们让学生们 自己起草一个行为准则。 |
craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作;
|
There's a very vibrant debate going on, on campus now, over whether they should have an honor code, and if so, what it should look like. |
这引起了一场激烈的争论,现在校园里正在进行, 关于他们是否应该有一个行为守则, 如果应该,那它应该是什么样的。 |
vibrant:adj.振动的;充满生气的;响亮的;战栗的; debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑; campus:n.(大学)校园;大学,大学生活;校园内的草地;
|
One of the students asked a question that just warmed my heart. |
一个学生问了一个问题,让我感到很温暖。 |
Can we create a perfect society? |
我们能创造一个完美的社会吗? |
Her understanding that a student-crafted honor code constitutes a reach towards perfection is incredible . |
她认为让学生起草的行为规则 构成一个对完美的追求,很令人惊喜。 |
constitutes:v.被算作;组成;构成;(合法或正式地)成立,设立;(constitute的第三人称单数) perfection:n.完善;完美; incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
Now, we cannot achieve perfection. |
虽然我们不能达到完美, |
But if we reach for it, then we can achieve excellence . |
但是如果我们朝那个方向努力,我们就能达到卓越。 |
excellence:n.优秀;美德;长处;
|
I don't know ultimately what they will do. |
我不知道他们最终会做成什么, |
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
|
I don't know whether they will decide to have this honor code. |
不知道他们是否决定写这份行为规范。 |
But the conversation they're having now -- about what their good society should look like, what their excellent society should look like -- is a really good thing. |
但是她们正在进行的讨论—— 关于一个他们认为好的社会应该是什么样子, 他们认为是卓越的社会应该是什么样子的讨论—— 非常有价值。 |
Am I out of time? OK. |
是不是没有时间了?哦,还有时间。 |
Now, I just want to leave that slide up because it's important that we think about it. |
现在,我暂时停在那张幻灯片上, 因为它非常重要,值得我们思考。 |
I'm very excited about the fact that every student at Ashesi University does community service before they graduate. |
有一件事情是我的得意之举, 在阿社思大学的每个学生毕业前都要做社区服务。 |
community service:n.社区服务(自愿或因受法庭惩罚的无偿劳动);
|
That for many of them, it has been a life-altering experience. |
对于他们多数人而言,那是一次改变一生的经历。 |
life-altering:改变生活的;改变人生的;
|
These young future leaders are beginning to understand the real business of leadership. |
这些年轻的未来的领导们逐渐开始理解 领导力的真谛, |
The real privilege of leadership, which is, after all, to serve humanity . |
领导者的真正特权, 其实是为人类服务。 |
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
I am even more thrilled by the fact that least year our student body elected a woman to be the head of Student Government. |
去年,有一件事让我更加有感触: 我们的学生团体选举了一名女性 作为学生会的主席。 |
thrilled:adj.非常兴奋; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的过去分词和过去式) student body:全体学生;学生的总称;
|
It's the first time in the history of Ghana that a woman has been elected head of Student Government at any university. |
这在加纳历史上是第一次, 女性被选举为大学的 学生会主席。 |
It says a lot about her. |
这件事情展示了很多关于她, |
It says a lot about the culture that's forming on campus. |
关于校园里正在形成的文化。 |
It says a lot about her peers who elected her. |
关于选举出她的那些同学们。 |
She won with 75 percent of the vote. |
她赢得了百分之75的选票。 |
And it gives me a lot of hope. |
这件事情也给我很大的希望。 |
It turns out that corporate West Africa also appreciates what's happening with our students. |
后来发现西非公司 也欣赏我们的学生们所经受的训练。 |
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; appreciates:v.欣赏;赏识;感激;欢迎;理解;领会;(appreciate的第三人称单数)
|
We've graduated two classes of students to date. |
至今为止,我们已经毕业了两个班级的学生了, |
And every single one of them has been placed. |
他们每个人都找到了工作。 |
And we're getting great reports back from corporate Ghana, corporate West Africa. |
我们也从加纳的企业,西非的企业 得到了很棒的反馈报告。 |
And the things that they're most impressed about is work ethic. |
他们印象最深刻的是学生们的职业道德, |
impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式)
|
You know, that passion for what they're doing. |
知道吧,他们做事的激情, |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
|
The persistence , their ability to deal with ambiguity , their ability to tackle problems that they haven't seen before. |
坚持不懈,他们解决模糊问题的能力, 解决全新问题的能力。 |
persistence:n.持续;固执;存留;坚持不懈;毅力; ambiguity:n.含糊;不明确;暧昧;模棱两可的话; tackle:v.处理; n.用具;
|
This is good because, you know, over the past five years, there have been times when I've felt this is "Mission Impossible." |
这很棒,因为,你知道吗, 在过去的五年,有很多时候 我都怀疑这是不可能完成的任务。 |
And it's just wonderful to see, sort of, these glimmers of the promise of what can happen if we train our kids right. |
看到我们以正确地方式培养我们的孩子之后 所展现的晨曦,真是令人鼓舞。 |
glimmers:n.微光;闪光;少许;vi.闪烁;发微光;
|
I think that the current and future leaders of Africa have an incredible opportunity to drive a major renaissance on the continent. |
我认为非洲现在的和将来的领导们 有这个难得的机遇 来实现整个非洲大陆的伟大复兴。 |
It's an incredible opportunity. |
这是一个伟大的机遇。 |
There aren't very many more opportunities like this in the world. |
世界上像这样的机会没有太多。 |
I believe that Africa has reached an inflection point with a march of democracy and free markets across the continent. |
我相信非洲已经到了一个转折点, 整个大陆上下都在走向政治民主和自由市场。 |
inflection:n.弯曲,变形;音调变化; democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
|
We have reached a moment from which can emerge a great society within one generation. |
我们已经到了这样一个时期, 用一代人的时间就能创造出一个伟大的社会。 |
It will depend on inspired leadership. |
这将依赖于鼓舞人心的领导力。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
And it is my contention that the manner in which we train our leaders will make all the difference . |
我的观点是:我们培养领导人的模式和方法 是创造这个伟大变革的基础。 |
make all the difference:关系重大;大不相同;重要;
|
Thank you, and God bless. |
谢谢大家,上帝保佑你们。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |