|
|
PatriciaRyan_2010X-_不要固执于英语!_
|
I know what you're thinking. |
我知道你们在想什么。 |
You think I've lost my way, and somebody's going to come on the stage in a minute and guide me gently back to my seat. |
你们想我迷路了, 有人马上会上台 把我领回到我的座位。 |
come on the stage:出场;进入社会; gently:adv.轻轻地;温柔地;温和地;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I get that all the time in Dubai . |
在迪拜老是有人这样问我。 |
Dubai:n.迪拜(阿拉伯联合酋长国的酋长国之一);
|
'"Here on holiday are you, dear?" |
“亲爱的,来度假啊?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Come to visit the children? |
“来看孩子们吗? |
How long are you staying?" |
呆多久啊?” |
Well actually, I hope for a while longer yet. |
事实上,我希望我还能多在这儿呆几年呢。 |
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
|
I have been living and teaching in the Gulf for over 30 years. |
我在海湾地区已经生活和教书 有30多年了。 |
Gulf:n.海湾;深渊;分歧;漩涡;vt.吞没;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And in that time, I have seen a lot of changes. |
在这期间,我目睹了很多变化。 |
Now that statistic is quite shocking. |
那些统计数据 是令人非常吃惊的。 |
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的;
|
And I want to talk to you today about language loss and the globalization of English. |
而我今天要跟你们讲的 是关于语种的消失 和英语的全球化。 |
globalization:n.全球化;
|
I want to tell you about my friend who was teaching English to adults in Abu Dhabi. |
我想告诉你们,我的一个朋友 她在阿布扎比教成年人英语。 |
And one fine day, she decided to take them into the garden to teach them some nature vocabulary. |
一天, 她决定带他们去花园 去教他们一些大自然用语。 |
But it was she who ended up learning all the Arabic words for the local plants, as well as their uses -- medicinal uses, cosmetics , cooking, herbal . |
但是结果她反而学了所有 当地植被的阿拉伯名称 和它们的用途-- 药用的,化妆用的, 食用的, 草药。 |
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; medicinal:adj.药的;药用的;治疗的(等于medicinable);有益的; cosmetics:n.[化工]化妆品(cosmetic的复数); v.用化妆品打扮(cosmetic的三单形式); herbal:adj.草药的;草本的;n.植物志;草本书;
|
How did those students get all that knowledge? |
那些学生是怎样得到这些知识的呢? |
Of course, from their grandparents and even their great-grandparents . |
当然是从他们的祖父母那里 甚至是他们的曾祖父母那里。 |
great-grandparents:n.曾祖父母;外曾祖父母(great-grandparent的复数形式);
|
It's not necessary to tell you how important it is to be able to communicate across generations. |
本来我没有必要告诉你们能够 跨代交流是多么 重要。 |
But sadly, today, languages are dying at an unprecedented rate. |
但是,令人惋惜的是, 今天 很多语种正在 以空前的速度消失着。 |
unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的;
|
A language dies every 14 days. |
每14天就有一种语言消失。 |
Now, at the same time , |
而同时,现在 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
English is the undisputed global language. |
英语又无可争辩地成为全球性语言。 |
undisputed:adj.无可争辩的;无异议的;毫无疑问的;
|
Could there be a connection? |
这两者间有联系吗? |
Well I don't know. |
我不知道。 |
But I do know that I've seen a lot of changes. |
但是我知道我已目睹了很多变化。 |
When I first came out to the Gulf, I came to Kuwait in the days when it was still a hardship post. |
当我初到海湾时, 我到了科威特, 那个时候那儿还算是一个艰苦地区。 |
hardship:n.艰难;困苦;拮据;
|
Actually, not that long ago. |
其实也就是没多久以前。 |
That is a little bit too early. |
这幅图还更早一点。 |
But nevertheless , |
不去管它, |
nevertheless:adv.然而,不过;虽然如此;conj.然而,不过;
|
I was recruited by the British Council , along with about 25 other teachers. |
我被英国文化协会招聘到这里 同时招来的还有其他25个老师。 |
recruited:v.招聘,雇佣;招募;(recruit的过去分词和过去式) British Council:n.英国文化协会(设立于其他国家,旨在加强文化交流);
|
And we were the first non-Muslims to teach in the state schools there in Kuwait. |
我们是最早在科威特 公立学校教书的非穆斯林。 |
We were brought to teach English because the government wanted to modernize the country and to empower the citizens through education. |
我们被请来教英语 因为政府想要发展国家现代化 让公民通过学习提高自己。 |
modernize:vt.使…现代化;vi.现代化; empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够;
|
And of course, the U.K. benefited from some of that lovely oil wealth . |
当然, 英国也因此收益于 那些让人喜爱的石油财富。 |
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
|
Okay. |
好。 |
Now this is the major change that I've seen -- how teaching English has morphed from being a mutually beneficial practice to becoming a massive international business that it is today. |
这是我看见过的主要变化-- 英语教学是怎样 演变的 使它从一个互惠的交流方式 变成如今的一个规模巨大的国际交流。 |
morphed:在屏幕上变换图像(morph的过去式和过去分词); mutually:adv.互相地;互助; beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
|
No longer just a foreign language on the school curriculum , and no longer the sole domain of mother England, it has become a bandwagon for every English-speaking nation on earth. |
它不再只是学校课程的一门外语课。 也不再是 英国特有。 对地球上每个说英语的国家而言 说英语已成为潮流。 |
curriculum:n.课程;总课程; sole:n.鞋底; adj.仅有的; v.给(鞋)换底; domain:n.领域;域名;产业;地产; bandwagon:n.流行,时尚;乐队花车;
|
And why not? |
为什么不呢? |
After all, the best education -- according to the latest World University Rankings -- is to be found in the universities of the U.K. and the U.S. |
毕竟,最好的教育-- 根据最新的世界大学排名-- 最好的大学总是 在英国或者美国。 |
according to:根据,据说; Rankings:n.排名;排行(ranking的复数);
|
So everybody wants to have an English education, naturally . |
自然每个人都想得到英语教育。 |
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
|
But if you're not a native speaker , you have to pass a test. |
如果你的母语不是英语的话, 你要通过一个考试。 |
native speaker:n.说本族语的人;母语使用者;
|
Now can it be right to reject a student on linguistic ability alone? |
那么仅仅根据 学生的语言能力 就拒绝一个学生的做法合适吗? |
reject:v.排斥;拒收;拒绝接受;不予考虑;n.废品;次品;不合格者;被剔除者; linguistic:adj.语言的;语言学的;
|
Perhaps you have a computer scientist who's a genius . |
也许你们中一个计算机科学家 是一个天才。 |
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
|
Would he need the same language as a lawyer, for example? |
那例如,他需要有和律师一样的语言能力吗? |
Well, I don't think so. |
我并不这么认为。 |
We English teachers reject them all the time. |
我们做英语老师的总是否定他们。 |
We put a stop sign, and we stop them in their tracks . |
我们放置一个禁止通行的标志, 我们在他们的发展轨道上挡住了他们。 |
tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数)
|
They can't pursue their dream any longer, 'til they get English. |
他们不能继续追寻他们的梦想, 除非他们掌握了英语。 |
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠;
|
Now let me put it this way: if I met a monolingual Dutch speaker who had the cure for cancer , would I stop him from entering my British University? |
现在我这么说吧, 如果我遇到一个只会说荷兰语的人 他能治愈癌症, 我会阻止他进入英国大学吗? |
monolingual:adj.单语的;仅用一种语言的;仅懂一种语言的;n.只用一种语言的人; Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
|
I don't think so. |
我想不可能。 |
But indeed, that is exactly what we do. |
但是事实上,我们正是这样做的。 |
We English teachers are the gatekeepers . |
我们英语老师是把关的。 |
gatekeepers:n.门卫;信息传递者(gatekeeper的复数);
|
And you have to satisfy us first that your English is good enough. |
你得先令我们满意 你的英语要足够好。 |
satisfy:vt.满足(要求,需要等):使满意:使确信:
|
Now it can be dangerous to give too much power to a narrow segment of society. |
这就可能很危险 把很多权力 交给了社会的一个窄小的团体。 |
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; segment:n.段;部分;片;弓形;v.分割;划分;
|
Maybe the barrier would be too universal . |
可能这个造成的障碍影响面就太广了。 |
barrier:n.屏障;障碍;障碍物;关口;v.用栅围住; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
|
Okay. |
好吧。 |
'"But," I hear you say, "what about the research? |
“但是” 我听见你们说, “那科研呢? |
It's all in English." |
它们都是用的英语。” |
So the books are in English, the journals are done in English, but that is a self-fulfilling prophecy . |
书是英语的, 研究刊物是英语的, 但是这是一个自我实现的假定。 |
journals:n.学术期刊(journal的复数);日记;日记账; self-fulfilling:adj.实现自己抱负的,自我实现的; prophecy:n.预言;预言书;预言能力;
|
It feeds the English requirement. |
它正好符合需要英语的条件。 |
And so it goes on. |
于是它就继续这样发展下去。 |
I ask you, what happened to translation? |
那我问你,翻译还需要吗? |
If you think about the Islamic Golden Age , there was lots of translation then. |
如果你想想伊斯兰的黄金时代, 当时有很多翻译。 |
Islamic:adj.穆斯林的; Golden Age:n.鼎盛时期;
|
They translated from Latin and Greek into Arabic, into Persian , and then it was translated on into the Germanic languages of Europe and the Romance languages. |
他们把拉丁文和希腊语 翻译成阿拉伯语和波斯语, 然后又翻译成 欧洲的日耳曼语 和罗曼语。 |
Latin:adj.拉丁语的;用拉丁语写成的;n.拉丁语; Persian:n.波斯人;波斯语;adj.波斯的;波斯人的;波斯语的; Germanic:adj.德国的;日耳曼语的;德语的;日耳曼人的;n.日耳曼语; Romance:n.爱情;恋爱;风流韵事;传奇故事;
|
And so light shone upon the Dark Ages of Europe. |
于是欧洲黑暗的时代被点亮了。 |
Dark Ages:n.黑暗时代(欧洲历史上从罗马帝国衰亡至公元10世纪的时期);
|
Now don't get me wrong; |
不要误会; |
I am not against teaching English, all you English teachers out there. |
我不是反对教英语, 或是你们在座的所有英语老师。 |
I love it that we have a global language. |
我热爱我们有一种全球性语言。 |
We need one today more than ever. |
我们今天比过去任何时候都需要它。 |
But I am against using it as a barrier. |
但是我反对用它 设立障碍。 |
Do we really want to end up with 600 languages and the main one being English, or Chinese? |
我们真的只想留下600种语言 而主要语言只是英语和中文吗? |
We need more than that. Where do we draw the line? |
我们需要更多,我们在哪里划这条界线呢? |
This system equates intelligence with a knowledge of English, which is quite arbitrary . |
这个体制 把智能 和英语能力划等号 这是非常武断的。 |
equates:vt.使相等;视为平等;vi.等同; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; arbitrary:adj.[数]任意的;武断的;专制的;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And I want to remind you that the giants upon whose shoulders today's intelligentsia stand did not have to have English, they didn't have to pass an English test. |
我想提醒你 而当代知识分子所站立在 那些“巨人肩膀”上的伟人, 他们也并不都具有英语能力, 他们不需要通过英语考试。 |
remind:v.提醒;使想起; giants:n.巨人;大汉;巨兽;巨树;(giant的复数) intelligentsia:n.知识分子;知识界;
|
Case in point, Einstein. |
爱因斯坦就是个典型。 |
He, by the way , was considered remedial at school because he was, in fact, dyslexic . |
其实,他在学校的时候是个需要补课的学生 因为他诵读有困难。 |
by the way:顺便说一下; remedial:adj.治疗的;补救的;矫正的; dyslexic:adj.诵读困难的;n.诵读困难者;
|
But fortunately for the world, he did not have to pass an English test. |
但是也是这世界的幸运, 他不必通过英语考试。 |
fortunately:adv.幸运地;
|
Because they didn't start until 1964 with TOEFL, the American test of English. |
因为1964年 托福考试还没设立, 这是一种美式英语测试。 |
Now it's exploded . |
现在已经泛滥了 |
exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式)
|
There are lots and lots of tests of English. |
各种各样的英语测试。 |
And millions and millions of students take these tests every year. |
每年成千上万的学生 参加这样的考试。 |
Now you might think, you and me, "Those fees aren't bad, they're okay," |
你会觉得,你和我都这么认为 这些考试价格还是合理的, |
but they are prohibitive to so many millions of poor people. |
但是数百万穷人 却望而却步。 |
prohibitive:adj.禁止的,禁止性的;抑制的;(费用,价格等)过高的;类同禁止的;
|
So immediately, we're rejecting them. |
所以一开始我们就把他们挡在了外面。 |
rejecting:v.拒绝接受;拒收;不录用;不出售,不出版;(reject的现在分词)
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
It brings to mind a headline I saw recently : "Education: The Great Divide." |
这让我想到我最近看见的一条新闻: “教育:大鸿沟。” |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Now I get it, |
现在我明白了, |
I understand why people would want to focus on English. |
为什么人们都关注英语。 |
They want to give their children the best chance in life. |
他们希望给予他们的孩子最好的人生机遇。 |
And to do that, they need a Western education. |
而要达到这个目的,他们需要西方教育。 |
Because, of course, the best jobs go to people out of the Western Universities, that I put on earlier. |
因为,显然,最好的工作 都让西方大学的毕业生拿走了, 就跟我之前说的一样。 |
It's a circular thing. |
这是个循环。 |
circular:adj.圆形的; n.(同时送达很多人的)印刷信函(或通知、广告);
|
Okay. |
是吧。 |
Let me tell you a story about two scientists, two English scientists. |
让我们告诉你们两个科学家的故事 有关两个英国科学家。 |
They were doing an experiment to do with genetics and the forelimbs and the hind limbs of animals. |
他们在做一个实验 跟遗传学有关 以及研究动物的前后肢, |
genetics:n.遗传学; forelimbs:n.前肢;前翼; hind:adj.后部的;n.雌鹿;
|
But they couldn't get the results they wanted. |
但是他们无法得到他们想得到的结果。 |
They really didn't know what to do, until along came a German scientist who realized that they were using two words for forelimb and hind limb, whereas genetics does not differentiate and neither does German. |
他们有点束手无策, 直到一个德国科学家参与后 他发现他们在研究前肢和后肢时 用的是两个词, 而遗传学上并不区分两者 德语也不区分。 |
whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之; differentiate:vi.区分,区别;vt.区分,区别;
|
So bingo , problem solved. |
所以瞧儿, 问题解决了。 |
bingo:int.答对了;n.宾戈游戏;
|
If you can't think a thought, you are stuck. |
如果你想不通 就卡住了。 |
But if another language can think that thought, then, by cooperating , we can achieve and learn so much more. |
但是用另外一种语言就可以想通, 那么,通过合作 我们可以教学相长,受益颇多。 |
cooperating:v.合作;协作;协助;配合;(cooperate的现在分词)
|
My daughter came to England from Kuwait. |
我的女儿 从科威特回到英国。 |
She had studied science and mathematics in Arabic. |
她已经用阿拉伯语学了科学和数学。 |
mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
|
It's an Arabic medium school. |
那是在一所阿拉伯中校。 |
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
|
She had to translate it into English at her grammar school . |
在文法学院学习时,她要把所学的内容翻译成英语。 |
translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变; grammar school:n.(尤指旧时英国的)文法学校;
|
And she was the best in the class at those subjects. |
在她们班上,她的这些科目 是最好的。 |
Which tells us that when students come to us from abroad , we may not be giving them enough credit for what they know, and they know it in their own language. |
这告诉我们 当学生从海外来就读 也许我们没有给他们足够的认可 对于那些他们已经懂得的知识而言 因为他们已经通过他们的语言掌握了这些知识。 |
abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国;
|
When a language dies, we don't know what we lose with that language. |
当语言消失, 我们不知道我们还失去了什么。 |
This is -- I don't know if you saw it on CNN recently -- they gave the Heroes Award to a young Kenyan shepherd boy who couldn't study at night in his village, like all the village children, because the kerosene lamp , it had smoke and it damaged his eyes. |
我不知道你们是否看最近的CNN-- 他们颁发了一枚英雄奖 给一个年轻的肯尼亚牧童, 在他所住的村庄里,他和其他在村里的孩子一样 无法在夜晚读书, 因为煤油灯烟 会弄伤他的眼睛。 |
shepherd:vt.牧羊;带领;指导;看管;n.牧羊人;牧师;指导者; kerosene:n.煤油,火油; lamp:n.灯;台灯;(理疗用的)发热灯;
|
And anyway, there was never enough kerosene, because what does a dollar a day buy for you? |
而且,他也没有足够的煤油 他们每天只有一美元的收入,能买什么呢? |
So he invented a cost-free solar lamp. |
所以他发明了 不需要花钱的太阳能灯。 |
cost-free:adv.免费地;adj.免费的;
|
And now the children in his village get the same grades at school as the children who have electricity at home. |
现在他们村里的孩子们 都能在学习上取得一样的好成绩 跟那些家里有电的孩子一样。 |
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
When he received his award, he said these lovely words: "The children can lead Africa from what it is today, a dark continent , to a light continent." |
当他得到这个奖励时, 他说了这些可爱的话: “儿童可以带领今天的非洲 从一个黑暗的大陆 走向一个光明的大陆。” |
continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的;
|
A simple idea, but it could have such far-reaching consequences . |
一个简单的想法 但是其影响是深远的。 |
far-reaching:adj.深远的;广泛的;伸至远处的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
|
People who have no light, whether it's physical or metaphorical , cannot pass our exams, and we can never know what they know. |
无论是实际生活中还是社会意义上 不能享受光明的人 都无法通过我们的测试, 我们也无法了解他们拥有的知识。 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; metaphorical:adj.比喻性的,隐喻性的;
|
Let us not keep them and ourselves in the dark. |
我们不能让他们和我们自己都 身处于黑暗里。 |
Let us celebrate diversity . |
让我们一起为多元化欢呼。 |
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
|
Mind your language. |
重视你的语言。 |
Use it to spread great ideas. |
用它来传播优秀的思想。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you very much. |
非常谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |