返回首页

OnoraONeill_2013X-_我们误解“信任”_

So I'm going to talk about trust, and I'm going to start by reminding you of the standard views that people have about trust. 我今天要讲的是信任。 一开始,我要先向你们交代一下, 人们对信任的基本观点。
reminding:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的现在分词) standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
I think these are so commonplace , they've become clichés of our society. 我觉得这些观点都很司空见惯, 在现实社会已经变成陈词滥调了。
commonplace:n.老生常谈;司空见惯的事;普通的东西;adj.平凡的;陈腐的;
And I think there are three. 我想一共有这样三点。
One's a claim : there has been a great decline in trust, very widely believed. 第一点是主张:信任感已经大幅地降低了。 这已经是有广泛共识的。
claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
The second is an aim: we should have more trust. 第二点是目的:我们应该有更多的信任感。
And the third is a task: we should rebuild trust. 第三点是任务:我们应该重建信任感。
I think that the claim, the aim and the task are all misconceived . 我觉得人们对这个主张、目的和任务 都有错误的认识。
misconceived:adj.设想错误的;v.误解(misconceive的过去式和过去分词形式);
So what I'm going to try to tell you today is a different story about a claim, an aim and a task which I think give one quite a lot better purchase on the matter. 所以我今天要跟你们说的是 跟这种主张、目的和任务有所不同的观点。 我想让你们更好地理解信任。
purchase:n.购买;采购;购买的东西;购买项目;v.购买;采购;
First the claim: Why do people think trust has declined ? 首先是主张:为什么人们认为信任感在降低呢?
declined:v.减少;下降;衰弱;婉言拒绝;(decline的过去分词和过去式)
And if I really think about it on the basis of my own evidence , 如果我在现有证据的基础上考虑,
on the basis of:根据;基于…; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
I don't know the answer. 我真的不知道答案是什么。
I'm inclined to think it may have declined in some activities or some institutions and it might have grown in others. 我倾向于认为信任感确实是有降低, 但那是在某些活动中,或者在某些机构里。 而在其他的方面也许是增加的。
inclined:adj.有…倾向; v.(使)倾向于,有…的趋势; (incline的过去分词和过去式) institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
I don't have an overview . 我没法一概而论。
overview:n.[图情]综述;概观;
But, of course, I can look at the opinion polls , and the opinion polls are supposedly the source of a belief that trust has declined. 但当然了,我可以去看看民意调查, 民意调查应该是 觉得信任感在降低的出处。
polls:n.民意调查; v.对…进行民意测验,使投票(poll的单三形式); supposedly:adv.据说;据信;据传; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
When you actually look at opinion polls across time, there's not much evidence for that. 但当你真的去看看不同时间的民意调查的话, 其实没有多少证据支持这个观点。
That's to say, the people who were mistrusted 20 years ago, principally journalists and politicians , are still mistrusted. 也就是说,那些 在20年前就不被相信的人 主要是记者和政客,现在仍不被信任。
mistrusted:vt.不信任;怀疑;vi.不信任;怀疑;n.不信任;怀疑; principally:adv.主要地;大部分; journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数); politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
And the people who were highly trusted 20 years ago are still rather highly trusted: judges, nurses. 而20年前就被高度信任的人, 比如法官和护士,现在仍得到高度的信任。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地;
The rest of us are in between, and by the way , the average person in the street is almost exactly midway . 剩下的人就是居中了。 顺便说一下,在社会上这些居中的人, 差不多就是完全居中。
by the way:顺便说一下; midway:n.中途;娱乐场;adj.中途的;adv.中途;
But is that good evidence? 但是这个证据说得过去吗?
What opinion polls record is, of course, opinions. 民意调查记录的当然就是一些人们的观点。
What else can they record? 要不然民意调查能记录什么?
So they're looking at the generic attitudes that people report when you ask them certain questions. 不过就是一些普遍的态度。 你问他们什么,他们就说什么。
generic:adj.类的;一般的;属的;非商标的; attitudes:n.态度,看法(attitude复数);
Do you trust politicians? Do you trust teachers? 你信任政客吗?信任老师吗?
Now if somebody said to you, "Do you trust greengrocers? 如果有人问你,“你信任蔬菜商吗?”
Do you trust fishmongers ? 你信任卖鱼的吗?
fishmongers:n.鱼贩;鱼商;
Do you trust elementary school teachers?" 你信任小学老师吗?
elementary school:小学;
you would probably begin by saying, "To do what?" 你可能会问,“信任他们去做什么?”
And that would be a perfectly sensible response . 这是一个非常明智的反问。
sensible:adj.明智的; n.可感觉到的东西; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
And you might say, when you understood the answer to that, "Well, I trust some of them, but not others." 当你明白问题到底是什么, 你会说, “嗯。我相信一些人,不相信另一些人。”
That's a perfectly rational thing. 非常理性的回答。
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的;
In short, in our real lives, we seek to place trust in a differentiated way. 简而言之,在我们现实生活中, 我们以不同的方式来寻求信任。
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求; differentiated:adj.分化型;已分化的;可区分的;v.使有差别(differentiate的过去分词);
We don't make an assumption that the level of trust that we will have in every instance of a certain type of official or office-holder or type of person is going to be uniform . 我们不对信任感的程度做假设。 我们会对特定类型进行具体分析。 那些公务员,官员之类的人, 会被类型化。
assumption:n.假定;设想;担任;采取; instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样;
I might, for example, say that I certainly trust a certain elementary school teacher I know to teach the reception class to read, but in no way to drive the school minibus . 比如说,我会说我当然相信 一个我知道的小学老师 会教会学生怎么阅读。 但是我不相信她可以开校车。
reception class:n.(英国学校为4至5岁儿童开设的)预备班; in no way to:绝不; minibus:n.面包车(等于microbus);小型公共汽车;中客车;vi.乘中客车;
I might, after all, know that she wasn't a good driver. 也许最终我知道她确实不是个好司机。
I might trust my most loquacious friend to keep a conversation going but not -- but perhaps not to keep a secret. 我也许相信我那爱喝酒的朋友 是个聊天的好伙伴。 但我不会相信他是个守得住秘密的人。
loquacious:adj.饶舌的,多话的;
Simple. 就这么简单。
So if we've got those evidence in our ordinary lives of the way that trust is differentiated, why do we sort of drop all that intelligence when we think about trust more abstractly? 在日常生活中我们有了这样的证据, 说信任感是有区分的, 那么为什么民意调查时我们一下子糊涂了, 把信任感想得更概念化了呢?
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
I think the polls are very bad guides to the level of trust that actually exists, because they try to obliterate the good judgment that goes into placing trust. 我觉得民意调查是个很差劲的 衡量信任感是否存在的依据。 因为它抹杀了人们良好的判断力。 对考虑信任感的判断力。
obliterate:vt.消灭;涂去;冲刷;忘掉; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
Secondly, what about the aim? 第二,那个目的是怎么回事儿呢?
The aim is to have more trust. 目的是我们需要更多的信任感。
Well frankly, I think that's a stupid aim. 坦白说,我觉得这个目的挺可笑的。
It's not what I would aim at. 这不是我想的那个目的。
I would aim to have more trust in the trustworthy but not in the untrustworthy . 我会说,人们应该对值得信赖的(人)更加地信任。 而不是去信任不值得信赖的人。
untrustworthy:adj.靠不住的;不能信赖的;
In fact, I aim positively to try not to trust the untrustworthy. 实际上,我所说的目的是尽量不要信任不值得信赖的人。
positively:adv.肯定地;明确地;断然地;
And I think, of those people who, for example, placed their savings with the very aptly named Mr. Madoff, who then made off with them, and I think of them, and I think, well, yes, too much trust. 比如说,那些 把自己的积蓄交给那个看起来很象样的 却把他们的钱都卷走的麦道夫先生 的人,我觉得那些人呀,怎么说呢,对, 太容易信任别人了。
savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数) aptly:adv.适宜地;适当地;
More trust is not an intelligent aim in this life. 过度地信任别人不是一个很明智的目的。
intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
Intelligently placed and intelligently refused trust is the proper aim. 明智地信任和明智地选择不信任 才是正确的目的。
Intelligently:adv.聪明地,明智地;
Well once one says that, one says, yeah, okay, that means that what matters in the first place is not trust but trustworthiness . 那么有人说,好呀,好, 这不就是说最重要的 不是要去信任,而是(对方的)信誉度吗?
in the first place:首先;起初; trustworthiness:n.可信赖;确实性;
It's judging how trustworthy people are in particular respects. 就是说要判断别人在某些方面 是否值得信任。
in particular:尤其,特别;
And I think that judgment requires us to look at three things. 我觉得要想正确做出判断需要考虑三点。
Are they competent ? Are they honest? Are they reliable ? 要看他们是否称职?是否诚实?是否可靠?
competent:adj.胜任的;有能力的;能干的;足够的; reliable:adj.可信赖的;可依靠的;真实可信的;可靠的;
And if we find that a person is competent in the relevant matters, and reliable and honest, we'll have a pretty good reason to trust them, because they'll be trustworthy. 如果我们觉得一个人是称职的, 在他自己的领域是称职的。 而且是诚实可靠的。 我们就有理由去相信他们, 因为他们是可信赖的。
relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
But if, on the other hand , they're unreliable , we might not. 但是反过来,如果他们不可靠,那我们就不能信任他们。
on the other hand:另一方面; unreliable:adj.不可靠的;靠不住的;
I have friends who are competent and honest, but I would not trust them to post a letter, because they're forgetful. 我有一些诚实可靠的朋友, 但我就信不着他们去帮我寄信, 因为他们很健忘。
I have friends who are very confident they can do certain things, but I realize that they overestimate their own competence . 我有些非常自信的朋友, 他们很能干, 但是我觉得他们有些过于自信。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的; overestimate:v.高估;n.过高的评估; competence:n.能力,胜任;权限;作证能力;足以过舒适生活的收入;
And I'm very glad to say, I don't think I have many friends who are competent and reliable but extremely dishonest . 当然我很高兴的是,我的朋友都是 称职可靠,又不是非常不诚实的。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; dishonest:adj.不诚实的;欺诈的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
If so, I haven't yet spotted it. (笑声)
spotted:adj.有花点的;有斑点的;v.看见;看出;发现;让步;(spot的过去分词和过去式)
But that's what we're looking for: trustworthiness before trust. 我们需要的就是: 信任别人之前要看他的信誉度。
Trust is the response. 信任是我们的反应。
Trustworthiness is what we have to judge. 信誉度是需要我们来判断的。
And, of course, it's difficult. 所以当然这不是容易做到的。
Across the last few decades, we've tried to construct systems of accountability for all sorts of institutions and professionals and officials and so on that will make it easier for us to judge their trustworthiness. 过去的几十年里,我们努力地建立 各种机构里的问责制度, 是否达到专业水准或者官方要求等等 这些(问责制度)使我们更容易判断(这些机构)是否有信誉。
construct:v.建造;创建;建筑;修建;n.概念;构筑物;结构体;建造物; accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性; professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数);
A lot of these systems have the converse effect. 很多机构都有这样的逆反应。
converse:adj.相反的,逆向的;颠倒的;vi.交谈,谈话;认识;n.逆行,逆向;倒;相反的事物;
They don't work as they're supposed to. 他们不象他们应该做的那样做事。
I remember I was talking with a midwife who said, "Well, you see, the problem is it takes longer to do the paperwork than to deliver the baby." 我记得和我一个助产士聊天,她说 ”你看看,现在的问题是我要 办个什么手续比接生一个孩子还难!“
midwife:n.助产士;促成因素;vt.助胎儿出生;促成; paperwork:n.文书工作;
And all over our public life, our institutional life, we find that problem, that the system of accountability that is meant to secure trustworthiness and evidence of trustworthiness is actually doing the opposite. 在我们的公共生活里,我们的机构生活里, 我们发现很多问题。 这些机构里的问责制度 这些能保障自己的信誉 能作为值得信任的依据的制度 往往施行起来是相反的。
institutional:adj.制度的;
It is distracting people who have to do difficult tasks, like midwives , from doing them by requiring them to tick the boxes, as we say. 这就使人们难以专注自己的工作, 比如助产士们, 让他们把时间浪费在填表上。就象我刚提到的。
distracting:adj.令人分心的; v.转移(注意力); (distract的现在分词) midwives:n.助产士; v.促成;
You can all give your own examples there. 你们其实都有这样的经历。
So so much for the aim. 关于目的要讲的很多很多。
So so:adj.一般的(地);不好也不坏的(地);马马虎虎;不怎么样;一般般;
The aim, I think, is more trustworthiness, and that is going to be different if we are trying to be trustworthy and communicate our trustworthiness to other people, and if we are trying to judge whether other people or office-holders or politicians are trustworthy. 我想这个目的更重要的是对方的信誉度。 那就完全不一样了。 比如说我们努力去成为值得信任的人, 把我们值得信任的一面展示给别人。 比如说我们先判断别人, 官员或者政客是否值得信任。
office-holders:公务员;机员;工作人员(office-holder的名词复数);
It's not easy. It is judgment, and simple reaction , attitudes, don't do adequately here. 这不是容易的事。这是判断,是迅速反应, 是态度,在这里都讲不完。
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; adequately:adv.充分地;足够地;适当地;
Now thirdly, the task. 那么第三点,关于任务。
Calling the task rebuilding trust, I think, also gets things backwards. 这个任务叫做重建信任感。 这又是弄反了的。
It suggests that you and I should rebuild trust. 这个任务建议你和我要重建信任。
Well, we can do that for ourselves. 好吧,我们能对自己这么做,
We can rebuild a bit of trustworthiness. 我们能重建一些自己的信誉,
We can do it two people together trying to improve trust. 我们可以互相努力增加我们的信任。
improve:v.改进;改善;
But trust, in the end, is distinctive because it's given by other people. 但关根到底,信任是很独特的。 因为(信任)是来自他人的。
distinctive:adj.独特的;特别的;有特色的;
You can't rebuild what other people give you. 你不可能重建别人对你的看法。
You have to give them the basis for giving you their trust. 你需要做出努力 让人家信任你。
So you have to, I think, be trustworthy. 我是说,你要成为一个值得信赖的人。
And that, of course, is because you can't fool all of the people all of the time, usually. 当然,这就是说你不能 在永远愚弄住所有的人,一般来说。
But you also have to provide usable evidence that you are trustworthy. 你得提供一些有用的依据, 让别人知道你是值得信赖的。
How to do it? 应该怎么做?
Well every day, all over the place, it's being done by ordinary people, by officials, by institutions, quite effectively. 其实每天,在不同得地方, 普通人,办公人员,各个机构都在努力(博得信任), 往往做得很有效呢。
Let me give you a simple commercial example. 我给你举个简单的商家营销的例子,
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
The shop where I buy my socks says I may take them back, and they don't ask any questions. 有个商店说(如果不满意)我可以把买的袜子退回去, 他们绝不问任何问题。
They take them back and give me the money or give me the pair of socks of the color I wanted. 他们收退货,我拿退货款。 或者给我换是我喜欢颜色的袜子。
That's super. I trust them because they have made themselves vulnerable to me. 这很好。我信任他们。 因为他们让我觉得他们是处于弱势。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
I think there's a big lesson in that. 我觉得这很有教益。
If you make yourself vulnerable to the other party, then that is very good evidence that you are trustworthy and you have confidence in what you are saying. 如果对于别人,你使自己处于弱势, 这就是个很好的值得信任的依据。 对自己说的话就有自信。
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
So in the end, I think what we are aiming for is not very difficult to discern . 所以最终呢,我们的意图 就不那么难辨别了。
discern:v.识别;觉察出;了解;
It is relationships in which people are trustworthy and can judge when and how the other person is trustworthy. 人们是否值得信任是一种人和人之间的关系。 我们可以判断什么时候人们是如何 值得你信任的。
So the moral of all this is, we need to think much less about trust, let alone about attitudes of trust detected or mis-detected by opinion polls, much more about being trustworthy, and how you give people adequate, useful and simple evidence that you're trustworthy. 值得你信任的。 我们要少考虑信任, 更不要说对信任的态度, 或者凭着民意测验来判断或者误判, 让我们更关注于成为值得信赖的人。 关注于如何提供恰当、有益 简单的依据让人们觉得你是可以信赖的。
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰; detected:v.发现;查明;侦察出;(detect的过去分词和过去式)
Thanks. 谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)