|
|
OmarAhmad_2010U-_纸和笔推动政治进程_
|
One of the things that defines a TEDster is you've taken your passion , and you've turned it into stewardship . |
有一件事 定义了TED的参与者 那就是你充满激情 并且你有条不紊地进行管理 |
defines:v.阐明;明确;界定;画出…的线条;描出…的外形(define的第三人称单数) passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; stewardship:n.管理工作;管事人的职位及职责;
|
You actually put action to the issues you care about. |
你确实对你关心的问题付出很多 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
But what you're going to find eventually is you may need to actually get elected officials to help you out. |
但你会发现 你需要选举委员会 让你的议题脱颖而出 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
So, how do you do that? |
那么你如何做到呢? |
One of the things I should probably tell you is, |
我可以告诉你一件事 |
I worked for the Discovery Channel early in my career , and that sort of warped my framework. |
我曾在探索发现频道工作过一段时间 那段经历扭转了我的思维框架 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; warped:adj.弯曲的;反常的;v.弄歪(warp的过去式和过去分词);
|
So, when you start to think about politicians , you've got to realize these are strange creatures . |
所以当你一想到政客 你必须意识到他们是奇怪的生物 |
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
|
Other than the fact that they can't tell directions, and they have very strange breeding habits, how do you actually work with these things? (Laughter) |
而不仅仅是他们没有方向感 而且他们的觅食习性很奇怪 究竟你该如何和他们相处。 |
breeding:n.繁殖;饲养;教养;再生;v.生产;培育;使…繁殖;(breed的现在分词)
|
What we need to understand is: |
我们需要知道的是: |
What drives the political creature? |
是什么驱动着政治的生物 |
And there are two things that are primary in a politician's heart: |
在政客心中有两个基本的信条 |
One is reputation and influence . |
第一条声望和影响 |
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
|
These are the primary tools by which a politician can do his job. |
这些是最主要的工具 被政客用来做他的工作 |
The second one -- unlike most animals, which is survival of the species -- this is preservation of self. |
第二条,不象其他动物, 大都是种群的幸存者 这是自我保护 |
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; preservation:n.保存,保留;
|
Now you may think it's money, but that's actually sort of a proxy to what I can do to preserve myself. |
也许你现在觉得金钱是关键 但那其实只是一个代理 诱惑我自己去做 |
proxy:n.代理人;委托书;代用品; preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品;
|
Now, the challenge with you moving your issue forward is these animals are getting broadcast to all the time. |
现在,是向前推动这个问题的时候了 这些动物整天被报道 |
broadcast:v.广播; n.广播节目; adj.[无线]播音的;
|
So, what doesn't work, in terms of getting your issue to be important? |
到底什么是没用的,而哪些方法又能使你的问题得到重视 |
You can send them an email. |
你可以向他们发电子邮件 |
Well, unfortunately , I've got so many |
然而,非常不幸,我总是收到太多 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
Viagra ads coming at me, your email is lost. |
伟哥广告 你的电子邮件丢失了 |
Viagra:n.伟哥(一种治疗阳痿的药,壮阳药);万艾可;
|
It doesn't matter, it's spam . |
没关系,当作垃圾邮件 |
spam:n.垃圾邮件;罐头猪肉;
|
How about you get on the phone? |
那么打电话行么 |
Well, chances are I've got a droid who's picking up the phone, "Yes, they called, and they said they didn't like it." |
好吧,往往都是面对一个机器人说话 是的,他们回电话了,可他们说不喜欢这个想法 |
droid:n.机器人;
|
That doesn't move. |
打电话行不通 |
Face to face would work, but it's hard to set it up. |
面对面也许有用 但这实在太难安排了 |
It's hard to get the context and actually get the communication to work. |
往往很难得到有效的回应和沟通 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
Yes, contributions actually do make a difference and they set a context for having a conversation, but it takes some time to build up. |
是的,捐款的确可以得到回报 并且是很好的讨论话题, 但这仍需一些时日的积累。 |
contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数) make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
So what actually works? |
那么到底什么最有效呢 |
And the answer is rather strange. |
答案也许相当匪夷所思 |
It's a letter. |
这就是写信 |
We live in a digital world, but we're fairly analog creatures. |
我们生活在一个数码时代 但我们依然是很模式化的生物 |
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; analog:n.[自]模拟;类似物;adj.[自]模拟的;有长短针的;
|
Letters actually work. |
信件仍然很有用 |
Even the top dog himself takes time every day to read 10 letters that are picked out by staff. |
即使我们总统本人 也会每天阅读十封信 由工作人员帮忙选出来 |
I can tell you that every official that I've ever worked with will tell you about the letters they get and what they mean. |
我可以告诉大家在我工作过的每一个行政机关 都会告诉你他们收到过的信 和他们的意义 |
official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员;
|
So, how are you going to write your letter? |
所以你为什么不写封信呢 |
First of all , you're going to pick up an analog device : a pen. |
首先,你要找一个传统的设备──钢笔 |
First of all:adv.首先; device:n.装置;策略;图案;
|
I know these are tough, and you may have a hard time getting your hand bent around it, (Laughter) |
我知道你会经历一段困难时期 去适应如何正确握笔 |
but this is actually critical . |
但这真的是非常重要的 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
|
And it is critical that you actually handwrite your letter. |
最重要的是 你要亲笔写这封信 |
handwrite:vt.亲手写;
|
It is so novel to see this, that somebody actually picked up an analog device and has written to me. |
这简直太少见了 有人竟然拿起这个古老工具 写信给我 |
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说;
|
Second of all, I'm going to recommend that you get into a proactive stance and write to your elected officials at least once a month. |
其次,我将给你们推荐 如何使用一种积极的姿态 每月至少给机关负责人写一封信 |
recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎; proactive:adj.前摄的(前一活动中的因素对后一活动造成影响的); stance:n.立场;姿态;位置;准备击球姿势;
|
Here's my promise to you: |
在这儿我向你保证 |
If you are consistent and do this, within three months the elected official will start calling you when that issue comes up and say, "What do you think?" |
如果你坚持这么做 不到三个月相关单位会开始给你打电话 一旦有关问题发生的时候,会问你,“您是怎么看这个问题的” |
consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的;
|
Now, I'm going to give you a four paragraph format to work with. |
现在,我将建议你采用以下格式写信 使用四段落结构 |
Now, when you approach these animals, you need to understand there's a dangerous end to them, and you also need to approach them with some level of respect and a little bit of wariness . |
当你接近这些动物的时候 你需要知道接近他们的危险性 你又必须接近他们 带一定的尊敬和一点点的谨慎 |
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; wariness:n.谨慎,小心;
|
So in paragraph number one, what I'm going to tell you to do is very simply this: |
所以在第一段 我给你的建议非常简单 |
You appreciate them. |
奉承他们 |
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
|
You may not appreciate the person, you may not appreciate anything else, but maybe you appreciate the fact that they've got a tough gig. |
你也许并不欣赏对方个人,你也不喜欢他们任何其他东西 但你可以恭维他们有一份苦差事 |
When animals are going to make a point , they make the point. |
当动物想要得到什么,他们就去得到它 |
to make a point:表明一种观点;
|
They don't spend a lot of time dicking around. |
他们不会花时间来回徘徊 |
dicking:v.一知半解地摆弄,瞎弄;<俚>(男子)与(某人)性交(dick的现在分词)
|
So, here you go. (Laughter) |
所以你的机会来了 |
Paragraph number two: |
第二段 |
You may actually have to just get very blunt and say what's really on your mind. |
实际上你可以单刀直入 表明你心中的立场 |
blunt:adj.钝的,不锋利的;生硬的;直率的;v.使迟钝;
|
When you do this, don't attack people; you attack tactics . |
当你这么做的时候 不要攻击任何人 要对事不对人 |
tactics:n.战术:策略:手段:兵法(tactic的复数)
|
Ad hominem attacks will get you nowhere . |
人身攻击会让你失去回旋余地 |
Ad hominem:adj.针对个人(而非理据)的; nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
|
Paragraph number three: |
第三段 |
When animals are attacked or cornered, they will fight to the death, so you have to give them an exit. |
当动物受到攻击或威胁时 他们会誓死反抗 所以你要给他们一个出口 |
Most of the time, if they have an exit strategy , they should take it. |
大部分时间,如果他们发现了一条退路,他们会选择全身而退 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
|
'"Obviously, you're intelligent . |
显然你很高明 |
intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
|
If you had the right information, you would have done the right thing." (Laughter) |
一旦你拥有正确的情报 你将做出正确的决定 |
Lastly, you want to be the nurturing agent . |
然后你想成为培训专家 |
nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词) agent:n.代理人,代理商;药剂;特工;v由…作中介;由…代理;adj.代理的;
|
You're the safe place to come in to. |
你成为了可以投靠的安全地带 |
So, in paragraph number four, you're going to tell people, "If no one is providing you with this information, let me help." (Laughter) |
所以在第四段 你将告诉人们 ”如果没人向你们提供这些信息,我来帮你“ |
Animals do displays . They do two things: |
动物很喜欢炫耀,他们只干两件事 |
displays:v.陈列; n.陈列;
|
They warn you or they try to attract you and say, "We need to mate ." |
警告你或者试图攻击你 然后说:“求合体” |
mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
|
You're going to do that by the way you sign your letter. |
你将通过签署这封信署名的时候告诉他们 |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
You do a number of things: you're a vice president, you volunteer , you do something else. |
你做过的一些项目,你是一个副主管 你是志愿者,你做过的一些其他事 |
do a number:伤害;做某事;伤害…的感情; volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
|
Why is is this important? |
为什么这很重要 |
Because this establishes the two primary criteria for the political creature: that you have influence in a large sphere , and that my preservation depends on you. |
因为这表明了两点 政治动物最主要的评判标准 那就是你有大的影响力 还有我的政绩要依靠你 |
establishes:v.创立;设立;建立;确立;使立足;(establish的第三人称单数) criteria:n.标准,条件(criterion的复数); sphere:n.球;领域;球体;球形;v.使成球形;包围;把…放在球内;使处于天体之间;
|
Here is one very quick hack , especially for the feds in the audience. |
这里有你个很有用的小技巧 特别对于台下TED的听众 |
hack:n.砍; v.砍; adj.出租的; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; feds:abbr.联邦政府工作人员;
|
Here's how you mail your letter. |
你应该这样寄你的亲笔信 |
First of all, you send the original to the district office. |
首先,你把原件寄到本地邮局 |
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
|
So, you send the copy to the main office. |
然后你再寄一份附件到邮政总局 |
If they follow protocol , they'll pick up the phone and say, "Hey, do you have the original?" |
如果你这么做,他们将打电话问:“你是否有原件?” |
protocol:n.协议;草案;礼仪;vt.拟定;vi.拟定;
|
Then some droid in the back puts the name on a tickler and says, "Oh, this is an important letter." |
那样一些工作人员会在信贴上一些标签 写到”哦,这是封重要的信件“ |
tickler:n.难题;使人痒的东西或人;备忘录;使人高兴的人或物;
|
And you actually get into the folder that the elected official actually has to read. |
你的信就这样进入了正式的文件夹 然后有关领导必须仔细读这封信了 |
folder:n.文件夹;折叠机;折叠式印刷品;
|
So, what your letter means: |
那么你的信意味着什么呢 |
I've got to tell you, we are all in a party, and political officials are the pinatas. |
我必须告诉你,我们都在一个派对中 而政客是彩罐 |
(Laughter) |
(观众笑声) |
We are harangued, lectured to, sold, marketed, but a letter is actually one of the few times that we have honest communication. |
我们听他们长篇大论 被买卖,被推销 但是书信是少数几次 可以真诚交流的机会 |
I got this letter when I was first elected, and I still carry it to every council meeting I go to. |
我第一次被选为人大代表是时,我收到了这封信 我一直带着它 参加每一场咨询会 |
council:n.(市、郡等的)政务委员会;市政(或地方管理)服务机构;
|
This is an opportunity at real dialogue, and if you have stewardship and want to communicate, that dialogue is incredibly powerful. |
这是一次真实对话的机会 而如果你有这个台阶 并想要沟通 那这个对话将非常重要 |
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
|
So when you do that, here's what I can promise: |
所以一旦你这么去做了,我保证 |
You're going to be the 800 pound gorilla in the forest. |
你将会成为丛林中的大猩猩 |
gorilla:大猩猩
|
Get writing. |
拿起笔来。 |
(Applause) |
(观众掌声) |