|
|
OliverJeffers_2020S-_地球礼赞_-
|
[Oliver Jeffers] |
【奥利弗·杰弗斯 】 |
[An ode to living on Earth] |
【地球礼赞】 |
Hello. |
你好。 |
I'm sure by the time I get to end of this sentence, given how I talk, you'll all have figured out that I'm from a place called planet Earth. |
相信当我说完这句话—— 根据我的说话方式—— 你们就已经知道 我来自一个地方: 地球。 |
Earth is pretty great. |
地球很伟大。 |
ode:n.赋;颂歌;颂诗;
|
It's home to us. |
她孕育了我们, |
And germs . |
和细菌。 |
Those [blip] take a back seat for the time being , because believe it or not, they're not the only thing going on. |
你这个混蛋 现在最好给我消停点儿, 眼下已经够乱的了。 |
This planet is also home to cars, brussels sprouts; those weird fish things that have their own headlights; art, fire, fire extinguishers , laws, pigeons , bottles of beer, lemons and light bulbs; |
这颗星球还孕育了 汽车、抱子甘蓝; 那种自带头灯的奇怪鱼类; 艺术、火、 灭火器、 法律、鸽子、啤酒瓶、 柠檬和灯泡; |
germs:n.[微]细菌; v.发生(germ的单三形式); take a back seat:处于默默无闻的地位;处于次要地位;退居二线; for the time being:暂时; brussels:n.布鲁塞尔(比利时首都); weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神; extinguishers:n.[安全]灭火器(extinguisher的复数);灭火者; pigeons:n.鸽子(pigeon的复数);杂波; lemons:n.[园艺]柠檬(lemon的复数);
|
Pinot noir and paracetamol; ghosts , mosquitoes , flamingos , flowers, the ukulele , elevators and cats, cat videos, the internet; iron beams , buildings and batteries , all ingenuity and bright ideas, all known life ... |
黑比诺葡萄酒和扑热息痛; 鬼、蚊子、火烈鸟、鲜花; 尤克里里、电梯和猫, 猫视频、互联网; 铁梁、建筑和电池, 所有创造力和奇思妙想, 所有已知的生命······ |
and a whole bunch of other stuff . |
和一大堆其他东西。 |
Pretty much everything we know and ever heard of. |
几乎所有我们已知 或听说过的东西。 |
It's my favorite place, actually. |
事实上,这是我最爱的地方。 |
This small orb, floating in a cold and lonely part of the cosmos . |
这个小圆球。 在宇宙中一个孤单冷清的 角落里转动着。[01:07] |
Pinot:n.加州葡萄; noir:adj.轮盘戏中黑色数字的; ghosts:n.鬼魂;幽灵;一点点;v.无声地行进(ghost的第三人称单数和复数) mosquitoes:n.蚊子(mosquito的复数); flamingos:n.火烈鸟;火鹤(flamingo的复数); ukulele:n.尤克里里琴(夏威夷的四弦琴,等于ukelele); elevators:n.电梯(elevator的复数形式);升降机; beams:[建]梁; batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数) ingenuity:n.心灵手巧,独创性;精巧;精巧的装置; bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: cosmos:n.宇宙;和谐;秩序;大波斯菊;
|
Oh, the accent is from Belfast, by the way , which is ... |
随便一提, 我的口音来自贝尔法斯特。 |
here. |
差不多······ |
Roughly . |
在这儿吧。 |
You may think you know this planet Earth, as you're from here. |
你可能觉得你很了解地球, 因为你从这儿来的。 |
But chances are, you probably haven't thought about the basics in a while. |
但是很可能, 你有阵子没思考过 这些基本问题了。[01:23] |
accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话; by the way:顺便说一下; Roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
|
I thought I knew it. |
我以为我了解它。 |
Thought I was an expert, even. |
甚至觉得自己是地球专家。 |
Until, that is, I had to explain the entire place, and how it's supposed to work, to someone who had never been here before. |
直到我不得不向 第一次来地球的人 介绍这个地方, 解释它如何运行。 |
Now what you might think, although my dad always did say the sure sign of intelligent life out there is that they haven't bothered trying to contact us. |
不是你想的那样。 虽然,我父亲的确说过, 智慧生命存在 最确凿的证据就是, 他们从来不屑于联系我们。 |
It was actually my newborn son I was trying to explain things to. |
我解释的对象是 我刚出生的儿子。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的 bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼; contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; newborn:adj.新生的;再生的;n.婴儿;
|
We'd never been parents before, my wife and I, and so treated him like most guests when he arrived home for the first time, by giving him the tour. |
我和我的太太 都是第一次当父母。 所以,我们像对待大多数 第一次来拜访的客人一样 带他参观了我们的家。 |
This is where you live, son. |
这是你住的地方,儿子。 |
This room is where we make food at. |
这是我们做饭的房间。 |
This is the room we keep our collection of chairs, and so on. |
这是我们放凳子的房间,等等。 |
It's refreshing, explaining how our planet works to a zero-year-old. |
对一个新生儿解释 地球怎样运行, 感觉很新奇。[02:03] |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
|
But after the laughs, and once the magnitude that new humans know absolutely nothing settles on you and how little you know either, explaining the whole planet becomes quite intimidating . |
但玩闹过后, 当你渐渐意识到 这个新人类对地球一无所知, 而你自己也不太了解, 解释整个星球这件事 就开始变得让人望而生畏。 |
But I tried anyway. |
但我还是试着进行了解释。 |
As I walked around those first few weeks, narrating the world as I saw it, |
最开始的那几周, 我一边推着他四处溜达, 一边跟他解释我看见的世界, |
I began to take notes of the ridiculous things I was saying. |
我开始记录我说的 那些奇奇怪怪的话。 |
magnitude:n.大小;量级;[地震]震级;重要;光度; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; settles:v.结束;解决;决定,确定;定居;n.高背长椅;(settle的第三人称单数和复数) intimidating:adj.吓人的;令人胆怯的;v.恐吓;威胁;(intimidate的现在分词) narrating:v.叙述(narrate的ing形式); ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
|
The notes slowly morphed into a letter intended for my son once he learned to read. |
这些笔记慢慢地汇集成一封信, 我想在儿子学会识字后 把这封信给他, |
And that letter became a book about the basic principles of what it is to be a human living on Earth in the 21st century. |
后来那封信又变成一本书, 描写在 21 世纪, 在地球上生存着的人类 所遵循的基本规律。 |
Some things are really obvious . |
有的规律非常明显, |
morphed:在屏幕上变换图像(morph的过去式和过去分词); intended:adj.预定的;计划的;v.打算;计划;想要;(intend的过去分词和过去式) principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
Like, the planet is made of two parts: land and sea. |
比如,地球是由两个部分组成的: 陆地和海洋。 |
Some less obvious until you think about them. |
有的规律却没那么明显, 需要你主动思考, |
Like, time. |
比如,时间。 |
Things can sometimes move slowly here on Earth. |
它有时过得很慢, |
But more often, they move quickly. |
但大部分时候,它都过得很快。 |
So use your time well, it will be gone before you know it. |
所以你要好好利用时间, 否则不经意间它就溜走了。 |
Or people. |
又或者是,人。 |
People come in all different shapes, sizes and colors. |
身形、胖瘦和肤色各异的人。 |
We may all look different, act different and sound different, but don't be fooled. |
或许我们长得不一样, 行为和声音也不一样, 但不要被表象所迷惑, |
We are all people. |
我们都是人。 |
It doesn't skip me that of all the places in the universe, people only live on Earth, can only live on Earth. |
我很清楚, 在茫茫宇宙中, 人只存在于地球上, 也只能在地球上生存, |
And even then, only on some of the dry bits. |
而且还只能在陆地上生存。 |
There's only a very small part of the surface of our planet that is actually habitable to human life, and squeezed in here is where all of us live. |
在地球的表面, 只有小小的一部分 适合人类栖居, 我们就挤在那儿, 那儿就是我们的家。 |
It's easy to forget when you're up close to the dirt , the rocks, the foliage , the concrete of our lands, just how limited the room for maneuvering is. |
我们很容易忘记, 人类能操控的空间 是多么的有限。 |
From a set of eyes close to the ground, the horizon feels like it goes forever. |
从贴近地面的角度远眺, 地平线似乎无边无际。 |
habitable:adj.可居住的;适于居住的; squeezed:v.挤压;捏;榨出,挤出,拧出;挤入;(squeeze的过去分词和过去式) dirt:n.污垢;尘土;下流话; foliage:n.植物;叶子(总称); concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) maneuvering:v.使某物移动,运动;熟练而巧妙地引导;演习;(maneuver的现在分词) horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围;
|
After all, it's not an every-day ritual to consider where we are on the ball of our planet and where that ball is in space. |
毕竟,我们也不会每天都思考 我们位于地球上的什么位置, 而地球又位于宇宙中的什么位置。 |
I didn't want to tell my son the same story of countries that we were told where I was growing up in Northern Ireland. |
我不想把我小时候 在北爱尔兰听到的 关于国家的那一套 讲给我儿子听, |
That we were from just a small parish , which ignores life outside its immediate concerns . |
也就是,我们从小乡村来, 不需要关心和自己 没有直接关系的问题。 |
ritual:n.仪式;惯例;礼制;adj.仪式的;例行的;礼节性的; on the ball:adv.机灵;留心;有见识;勤奋; parish:n.教区;地方行政区; ignores:v.忽视;对…不予理会;不予理睬;(ignore的第三人称单数) concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
|
I wanted to try to feel what it was like to see our planet as one system, as a single object, hanging in space. |
我想试试看 把地球当做一个整体, 在宇宙里游荡的单一个体, 是什么感受。 |
To do this, |
为了做这件事, |
I would need to switch from flat drawings for books to 3D sculpture for the street, and I'd need almost 200 feet, a New York City block, to build a large-scale model of the moon, the Earth and us. |
我得把书中的平面绘画转换成 可以在街上展示的立体雕塑。 我还得找到一个 60 米见方的空间, 比如纽约的一条街道, 来建造一个包含 月球、地球和人类的大型模型。 |
This project managed to take place on New York City's High Line park last winter, on the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11's mission around the Moon. |
去年冬天,在阿波罗 11 号 登月 50 周年纪念日那天, 位于纽约市高线公园的 这个项目终于落地。 |
After its installation , |
安装完成后, |
sculpture:n.雕塑;雕刻;刻蚀;vt.雕塑;雕刻;刻蚀;vi.从事雕刻; large-scale:adj.大规模的,大范围的;大比例尺的; take place:发生;举行; Apollo:n.阿波罗(太阳神);美男子; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; installation:n.安装;设施;设置;安装的设备(或机器);
|
I was able to put on a space helmet with my son and launch , like Apollo 11 did half a century ago, towards the Moon. |
我和儿子戴上了宇航员头盔, 像半个世纪前的 阿波罗 11 号那样, 向月球“发射”。 |
We circled around and looked back at us. |
我们围着模型打转, 然后对视。 |
What I felt was how lonely it was there in the dark. |
在黑暗中, 我觉得很孤独, |
And I was just pretending. |
即使这一切都是虚拟的。 |
The Moon is the only object even remotely close to us. |
月球是唯一一个 离我们不那么远的天体。[04:45] |
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射; remotely:adv.遥远地;偏僻地;(程度)极微地,极轻地;
|
And at the scale of this project, where our planet was 10 feet in diameter , |
而我制作的地球 直径只有 3 米, 以它为参考系, |
Mars , the next planet, will be the size of a yoga ball and a couple of miles away. |
下一个行星,也就是火星, 只有瑜伽球那么大, 离这个地球好几英里远。 |
Although borders are not visible from space, on my sculpture, every single border was drawn in. |
虽然从宇宙中 我们看不到边界线, 但在我的地球上, 我把每根边界线都画了出来。 |
diameter:n.直径;对径;放大率;放大倍数; Mars:n.火星 yoga:n.瑜珈(意为"结合",指修行);瑜珈术;联想可360°翻转的平板电脑; visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目;
|
But rather than writing the country names on the carved-up land, |
然而,我没有在大陆上 写下国家名, |
I wrote over and over again , "people live here, people live here." |
而是一遍又一遍地写着, “有人在这里生活,有人在这里生活。” |
'"People live here." |
“有人在这里生活。” |
And off on the Moon, it was written, "No one lives here." |
在月球表面上,我写着: “没有人在这里生活。” |
Often, the obvious things aren't all that obvious until you think about them. |
许多事物并非 如我们想象的那么显而易见, 除非你开始认真思考。 |
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
|
Seeing anything from a vast enough distance changes everything, as many astronauts have experienced. |
从遥远的距离观察任何一件事物 都让一切发生了改变。 许多航天员都有这样的体验。 |
And human eyes have only ever seen our Earth from as far as the Moon, really. |
人类的双眼曾经从月球上 遥望过我们的地球, 这就是最远的观察距离了。 |
It's quite a ways further before we get to the edges of our own Solar System . |
还要经过好长好长的一段旅行, 我们才能到达太阳系的边界, |
And even out to other stars, to the constellations . |
甚至去往其他星系或星座。 |
There is actually only one point in the entire cosmos that is present in all constellations of stars, and that presence is here, planet Earth. |
整个宇宙的星群中 只有一个存在的点, 那个点就是 这里,地球。 |
as far as:至于…; Solar System:[天]太阳系; constellations:n.[天]星座(constellation的复数); presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态;
|
Those pictures we have made up for the clusters of stars only make sense from this point of view down here. |
我们绘制的那些星群图, 只是我们从这个角度瞭望时所看到的。 |
Their stories only make sense here on Earth. |
我们对它们的认识 也只有在地球上时才有意义。 |
And only something to us. |
而且只对我们—— |
To people. |
人类——有意义。 |
We are creatures of stories. |
我们喜欢故事。[06:04] |
clusters:n.[植]簇;丛(cluster的复数形式);[计]群集; make sense:有意义;讲得通;言之有理; point of view:观点;见地;立场; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
|
We are the stories we tell, we're the stories we're told. |
我们讲述着自己的故事, 也聆听着自己的故事。 |
Consider briefly the story of human civilization on Earth. |
想想地球人类文明。 |
It tells of the ingenuity, elegance , generous and nurturing nature of a species that is also self-focused, vulnerable and defiantly protective . |
它诉说着一个有创造力的、优雅的、 慷慨且充满关怀的物种, 同时也可以是自私的、脆弱的、 并充满戒备和警惕的。 |
We, the people, shield the flame of our existence from the raw, vast elements outside our control, the great beyond. |
人类为了保护生命的星星之火, 不断抵御着我们 无法掌控的、庞杂的、 未知的一切。 |
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地; civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明; elegance:n.典雅;高雅; generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的; nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词) species:n.[生物]物种;种类; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; defiantly:adv.挑战地;对抗地; protective:adj.防护的;关切保护的;保护贸易的; shield:n.盾;防护物;保护者;v.遮蔽;包庇;避开;保卫; elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
|
Yet it is always to the flame we look. |
但我们仍会将目光投向这星星之火。 |
'"For all we know," |
当我们说: |
when said as a statement , it means the sum total of all knowledge. |
“我们已经知道——” 这表示我们已知的所有知识。 |
But when said another way, "for all we know," |
但如果换个方式说: “目前我们只知道——” |
it means that we do not know at all. |
则表示我们几乎什么也不知道。 |
This is the beautiful, fragile drama of civilization. |
这就是美丽而脆弱的文明。 |
We are the actors and spectators of a cosmic play that means the world to us here, but means nothing anywhere else. |
在这部宇宙大戏中, 我们既是演员,也是观众, 它就是我们的全部, 但它在其他地方什么都不是。[06:52] |
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; drama:n.戏剧;戏剧艺术;戏剧文学;戏剧性事件; spectators:n.观众;旁观者(spectator复数); cosmic:adj.宇宙的;
|
Possibly not even that much down here, either. |
也许,就连对我们 也不见得那么重要。 |
If we truly thought about our relationship with our boat, with our Earth, it might be more of a story of ignorance and greed . |
如果我们仔细想想 人类与地球的关系, 这更像是一个 关于无知和贪婪的故事。 |
As is the case with Fausto, a man who believed he owned everything and set out to survey what was his. |
福斯托的故事 就是一个例子。 这个男人相信 什么东西都是他的, 于是想出门去看看 他所拥有的一切。 |
He easily claims ownership of a flower, a sheep, a tree and a field. |
他不费吹灰之力地得到了 一朵花、一只羊、 一棵树和一片田地。 |
ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂; greed:n.贪婪,贪心; survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; claims:v.宣称; n.声明; (claim的第三人称单数和复数)
|
The lake and the mountain prove harder to conquer , but they, too, surrender . |
湖泊和山丘比较难以征服, 但是最终,它们还是屈服了。 |
It is in trying to own the open sea where his greed proves his undoing, when, in a fit of arrogance , he climbs overboard to show that sea who is boss. |
他的滑铁卢发生在 当他尝试征服一片公海时, 他被一时的自负冲昏了头脑, 一跃而下, 想给海洋点颜色看看。 |
conquer:v.占领;攻克;征服;击败,战胜;对付,克服,控制;很受欢迎 surrender:v.投降;(被迫)放弃,交出;n.投降;屈服;屈从;放弃,交出 arrogance:n.自大;傲慢态度; overboard:adv.自船上落下;向船外;adj.极其热心的;全身心投入的;
|
But he does not understand, slips beneath the waves, sinks to the bottom. |
但他大大低估了海洋的威力, 瞬间被海浪卷走,沉入海底。 |
The sea was sad for him but carried on being the sea. |
大海可能会为他感到悲伤, 但海浪仍然一如既往地翻涌向前。 |
As do all the other objects of his ownership, for the fate of Fausto does not matter to them. |
其他那些被他占为己有的 东西也是一样, 毕竟福斯托的命运 和它们毫无关系。 |
slips:滑倒;滑跤(slip的第三人称单数) beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方;
|
For all the importance in the cosmos we believe we hold, we'd have nothing if not for this Earth. |
尽管我们相信自己在宇宙中 占有重要地位, 但若不是因为地球的存在, 我们就会一无所有。 |
While it would keep happily spinning , obliviously without us. |
可地球离了我们, 还是会自顾自地悠然转动。 |
On this planet, there are people. |
这颗星球上住着许多人。 |
We have gone about our days, sometimes we look up and out, mostly we look down and in. |
日子一天天过去, 我们偶尔会抬头望望天, 大多数时间都埋头忙自己的事。 |
Looking up and by drawing lines between the lights in the sky, we've attempted to make sense out of chaos . |
抬起头时,我们将天上的星星连成线, 企图从混沌中找出规律。 |
spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词) obliviously:adv.遗忘地; attempted:adj.未遂的;v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的过去分词和过去式) chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
|
Looking down, we've drawn lines across the land to know where we belong and where we don't. |
低下头时,我们用线条 描绘出大陆的形状, 划分出彼此的领地和界限。 |
We do mostly forget that these lines that connect the stars and those lines that divide the land live only in our heads. |
我们经常会忘记 这些连接星星的线条 和那些划分大陆的线条, 仅仅存在于我们的脑海里。 |
They, too, are stories. |
它们本身也是故事。 |
We carry out our everyday routines and rituals according to the stories we most believe in, and these days, the story is changing as we write it. |
我们按照自己所信奉的故事 来安排日常活动, 但在这些天里, 故事情节日新月异。 |
There is a lot of fear in this current story, and until recently , the stories that seemed to have the most power are those of bitterness , of how it had all gone wrong for us individually and collectively . |
恐惧充斥着当下的一切, 而现在, 苦难和仇恨 占据了上风, 个人或集体的不幸成了主旋律。 |
according to:根据,据说; recently:adv.最近;新近; bitterness:n.苦味;苦难;怨恨; individually:adv.个别地,单独地; collectively:adv.共同地,全体地;
|
It has been inspiring to watch how the best comes from the worst. |
让人备受鼓舞的是, 我们能够从艰难中收获美好。 |
How people are waking up in this time of global reckoning to the realization that our connections with each other are some of the most important things we have. |
人们从这场世界性的劫难中幡然醒悟, 原来人与人之间的连接 就是最珍贵的东西。 |
But stepping back. |
不过退一步想想, |
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词) global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; reckoning:n.计算;清算;算帐;v.计算;认为;指望(reckon的现在分词); realization:n.实现;领悟;
|
For all we've had to lament , we spend very little time relishing the single biggest thing that has ever gone right for us. |
经历了这么多伤痛以后, 我们很少回想 人类有史以来取得的 最大的成功。 |
That we are here in the first place , that we are alive at all. |
那就是:我们出现在这颗星球上, 而且存活了下来, |
That we are still alive. |
还将继续生活下去。 |
A million and a half years after finding a box of matches, we haven't totally burned the house down. |
生命的火苗被点燃后, 150 万年过去了, 地球还没有因人类化为灰烬。 |
lament:n.挽歌;恸哭;悲痛之情;vi.哀悼;悲叹;悔恨;vt.哀悼;痛惜; relishing:v.享受;从…获得乐趣;渴望;喜欢;(relish的现在分词) in the first place:首先;起初;
|
Yet. |
暂时还没有。 |
The chances of being here are infinitesimal . |
在这里出现生命的几率何其微小。 |
Yet here we are. |
但我们出现了, |
Perils and all. |
虽然危机重重。 |
There have never been more people living on Earth. |
地球上从未有过这么多人, |
Using more stuff. |
从未消耗过这么多的资源,[09:28] |
infinitesimal:adj.无穷小的;无限小的;极小的;n.无限小;极微量;极小量; Perils:n.事故;风险(peril的复数);v.冒险;置…于危险中(peril的第三人称单数);
|
And it's become obvious that many of the old systems we invented for ourselves are obsolete . |
我们创造的许多古老的制度 已经被历史所淘汰, 而我们已无法 再对其视而不见。 |
And we have to build new ones. |
我们必须要有所创新。 |
If it wasn't germs, our collective fire might suffocate us before long . |
即使细菌没有置人类与死地, 不久之后,大火也会吞没一切。 |
As we watch the wheels of industry grind to a halt , the machinery of progress become silent, we have the wildest of opportunities to hit the reset button. |
当工业的车辙不再向前, 进步的发动机戛然而止, 我们就拥有了无数的机会 来按下重启键, |
obsolete:adj.废弃的;老式的;n.废词;陈腐的人;vt.淘汰;废弃; suffocate:v.受阻,受扼制;窒息; before long:不久以后; grind to a halt:慢慢停止; machinery:n.机械;机器;机构;机械装置; reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版;
|
To take a different path. |
来选择另一条道路。 |
Here we are on Earth. |
我们在地球上生存。 |
And life on Earth is a wonderful thing. |
地球上的生命又是如此璀璨。 |
It looks big, this Earth, but there are lots of us on here. |
这颗星球看起来很大, 但上面住着好多人—— |
Seven and a half billion at last count, with more showing up every day. |
上次的统计结果是 75 亿, 而且每天还在继续增加。 |
Even so, there is still enough for everyone, if we all share a little. |
即便如此, 如果我们能够彼此分享, 对每个人来说,也足够了。 |
So please, be kind. |
所以, 请做个善良的人。 |
When you think of it another way, if Earth is the only place where people live, it's actually the least lonely place in the universe. |
我们可以换个角度思考—— 如果地球是唯一一个 有人类居住的地方, 那它就是整个宇宙中 最不孤独的地方。 |
There are plenty of people to be loved by and plenty of people to love. |
无数的人在这里 爱与被爱。 |
We need each other. |
我们从未如此真切地感受到 |
We know that now, more than ever. |
对彼此的依赖。 |
Good night. |
晚安。 |