|
|
NormanLear_2016-_一个娱乐界偶像充满意义的一生_
|
Eric Hirshberg: So I assume that Norman doesn't need much of an introduction, but TED's audience is global , it's diverse , so I've been tasked with starting with his bio, which could easily take up the entire 18 minutes. |
艾瑞克·利德尔:我想大家都很熟悉诺曼了,不需要太多的介绍, 但是TED的观众来自全球, 是个多元的群体, 所以我被要求从介绍他的生平开始, 这轻易就能用完整个18分钟。 |
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
|
So instead we're going to do 93 years in 93 seconds or less. |
所以我们决定用93秒或更少的时间来介绍诺曼的这93年。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You were born in New Hampshire . |
你生于新罕布什尔州。 |
Hampshire:n.汉普郡(英国南部之一郡);
|
Norman Lear: New Haven , Connecticut. |
诺曼·李尔:是纽黑文,康涅狄格州。 |
Haven:n.避难所;保护区;v.把船开进港;掩护;
|
EH: New Haven, Connecticut. |
艾瑞克:是纽黑文,康涅狄格州。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
NL: There goes seven more seconds. |
诺曼:这就过去7秒了。 |
EH: Nailed it. |
艾瑞克:你做到了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You were born in New Haven, Connecticut. |
你生于纽黑文,康涅狄格州。 |
Your father was a con man -- I got that right. |
你的父亲是个行骗者——这次我对了。 |
He was taken away to prison when you were nine years old. |
在你九岁的时候他被带走去了监狱。 |
You flew 52 missions as a fighter pilot in World War II. |
在二战中你是一位飞行员执行了52次任务。 |
missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数)
|
You came back to -- |
你回到—— |
NL: Radio operator . |
诺曼:是报务员。 |
operator:n.算子;接线员;操作人员;骗子;
|
EH: You came to LA to break into Hollywood, first in publicity , then in TV. |
艾瑞克:你来到洛杉矶闯入了好莱坞, 首先当宣传,接着是在电视领域。 |
publicity:n.宣传,宣扬;公开;广告;注意;
|
You had no training as a writer, formally, but you hustled your way in. |
你是一位没有接受过正式训练的作家, 但你闯出了你的路。 |
hustled:vt.催促;猛推;强夺;vi.赶紧;硬挤过去;拼命挣钱;n.推;奔忙;拥挤喧嚷;
|
Your breakthrough , your debut , was a little show called "All in the Family." |
你的突破,你的首秀, 是一部电视剧《全家福》。 |
breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的; debut:n.初次登台;开张;vi.初次登台;
|
You followed that up with a string of hits that to this day is unmatched in Hollywood: "Sanford and Son," "Maude," "Good Times," |
紧接着你拍了一系列 至今都在好莱坞无与伦比的电视剧: 《桑福德和儿子》,《Maude》,《好时光》, |
string:n.字符串; v.悬挂; adj.由弦乐器组成的; to this day:至今; unmatched:adj.无与伦比的;不相配的;无匹敌的;
|
'"The Jeffersons," "One Day at a Time," |
《杰佛逊一家》,《随遇而安》, |
'"Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman," |
《玛丽·哈特曼》, |
to name literally a fraction of them. |
这里只提到了一部分。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: fraction:n.分数;小部分;小数;少量;
|
Not only are they all commercially -- |
这些电视剧不仅在商业上—— |
commercially:adv.商业上;通商上;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Not only are they all commercially successful, but many of them push our culture forward by giving the underrepresented members of society their first prime-time voice. |
它们不仅都获得了商业上的成功, 其中很多电视剧也推动了文化的发展, 让社会中代表性不足的群体 首次在黄金时段发声。 |
underrepresented:adj.代表名额不足的;未被充分代表的; prime-time:n.黄金时段;
|
You have seven shows in the top 10 at one time . |
你曾有七部电视剧同时在收视率前十。 |
at one time:曾经,一度;同时;
|
At one point, you aggregate an audience of 120 million people per week watching your content . |
你一度吸引了 一亿两千万的的观众 每周观看你的电视剧。 |
aggregate:vi.集合; vt.集合; n.合计; adj.聚合的; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
|
That's more than the audience for Super Bowl 50, which happens once a year. |
这甚至超过了每年一度的超级杯 在2015年的观众数。 |
Super Bowl:n.(美国)超级碗橄榄球赛;
|
NL: Holy shit. |
诺曼:哇靠。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
EH: And we're not even to the holy shit part. |
艾瑞克:我们甚至还没有说到令人惊叹的哇靠部分。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You land yourself on Richard Nixon 's enemies list -- he had one. |
你使自己成为理查德·尼克松名单上的敌人—— 他有这么一份。 |
Nixon:n.尼克松(美国第37任总统);
|
That's an applause line, too. |
这也值得大家的掌声。 |
applause:n.欢呼,喝采;鼓掌欢迎;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
You're inducted into the TV Hall of Fame on the first day that it exists. |
你在名单曝光第一天就被列入了电视名人堂。 |
inducted:vt.引导;感应;使…就职;征召入伍; Hall of Fame:n.名人纪念馆;名人堂;出类拔萃者;
|
Then came the movies. |
接下来说说电影。 |
'"Fried Green Tomatoes," |
《油炸绿蕃茄》, |
'"The Princess Bride ," "Stand By Me," |
《公主新娘》,《伴我同行》, |
Princess:n.王妃;(除女王或王后外的)王室女成员;(尤指)公主;王公贵族夫人; Bride:n.新娘;
|
'"This Is Spinal Tap ." |
《摇滚万岁》。 |
Spinal Tap:n.腰椎穿刺(放液);
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Again, just to name a fraction. |
这里还是只提了一部分。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Then you wipe the slate clean, start a third act as a political activist focusing on protecting the First Amendment and the separation of church and state. |
然后你开创了 三幕剧架构 横扫了电影界, 从政时致力于保护第一修正案, 坚持政教分离。 |
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布; slate:n.石板;板岩;候选人名单;v.批评;抨击;预定;计划;安排;选定; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; First Amendment:n.美国宪法第一修正案(保护言论与信仰自由以及和平集会权); separation:n.分离;分开;分割;隔离;
|
You start People For The American Way. |
你建立了美国之道团体。 |
You buy the Declaration of Independence and give it back to the people. |
你买下了独立宣言, 然后把它归还给人民。 |
Declaration of Independence:n.[美史]独立宣言:
|
You stay active in both entertainment and politics until the ripe old of age of 93, when you write a book and make a documentary about your life story . |
你到93岁高龄 都还一直活跃在娱乐界和政界, 然后你开始写书, 并且制作了一部关于你人生的纪录片。 |
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) ripe:adj.成熟的;口味浓郁的;醇美可口的;强烈的; life story:n.生平事迹;
|
And after all that, they finally think you're ready for a TED Talk. |
经过了所有这些, 他们终于觉得你准备好做一个TED演讲了。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
NL: I love being here. |
诺曼:很高兴来到这里。 |
And I love you for agreeing to do this. |
也很高兴你同意做这个访谈。 |
EH: Thank you for asking. It's my honor. |
艾瑞克:谢谢你的邀请。我的荣幸。 |
So here's my first question. |
然后这是我的第一个问题。 |
Was your mother proud of you? |
你的妈妈为你感到骄傲吗? |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
NL: My mother ... |
诺曼:我的妈妈…… |
what a place to start. |
从这里开始啊。 |
Let me put it this way -- when I came back from the war, she showed me the letters that I had written her from overseas , and they were absolute love letters. |
让我这样说吧—— 当我从战场上回来, 她给我看了我从海外寄给她的信, 这些绝对都是情书。 |
overseas:adv.在海外,海外;adj.海外的,国外的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
This really sums up my mother. |
这确实概括形容了我妈妈。 |
sums:n.算术题;总数;全部;v.归纳;总计;(sum的第三人称单数和复数)
|
They were love letters, as if I had written them to -- they were love letters. |
那些情书, 仿佛我把它们写成那样一般—— 它们就是情书。 |
A year later I asked my mother if I could have them, because I'd like to keep them all the years of my life ... |
一年后我问妈妈,我是否能拥有它们, 因为我想保存它们一生…… |
She had thrown them away. |
她已经扔掉了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
That's my mother. |
这就是我妈妈。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
The best way I can sum it up in more recent times is -- this is also more recent times -- a number of years ago, when they started the Hall of Fame to which you referred . |
近期,我能总结的最好方式—— 这也是最近的事—— 几年前, 当他们开始筹备你刚刚提到的名人堂的时候。 |
sum it up:概括起来; referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词)
|
It was a Sunday morning, when I got a call from the fellow who ran the TV Academy of Arts Sciences. |
那是一个周日的早晨, 我接到了一个管理电视艺术及科学学院朋友的电话。 |
Academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校;
|
He was calling me to tell me they had met all day yesterday and he was confidentially telling me they were going to start a hall of fame and these were the inductees . |
他打电话告诉我说,他们昨天谈了一整天, 他跟我说,告诉你一个秘密,我们将要成立一个名人堂, 然后他告诉我入选者都有谁。 |
confidentially:adv.秘密地;作为心腹话地; inductees:n.应召入伍的士兵;就任者;
|
I started to say "Richard Nixon," |
我开头就说“理查德·尼克松”, |
because Richard Nixon -- |
因为理查德·尼克松—— |
EH: I don't think he was on their list. |
艾瑞克:我不认为他在名单上。 |
NL: William Paley, who started CBS, |
诺曼:CBS之父威廉·佩利, |
David Sarnoff, who started NBC, |
创立NBC的大卫·沙诺夫, |
Edward R. Murrow, the greatest of the foreign correspondents , |
爱德华·默罗, 最伟大的驻外记者, |
correspondents:n.通讯员(correspondent的复数);通信者;
|
Paddy Chayefsky -- |
帕迪·查耶夫斯基—— |
Paddy:n.稻田(复数paddies);爱尔兰人;Patrick(男子名)和Patricia(女子名)的昵称;
|
I think the best writer that ever came out of television -- |
我认为是电视界最好的编剧—— |
Milton Berle, Lucille Ball and me. |
米尔顿·伯利,露西·鲍尔, 还有我。 |
EH: Not bad. |
艾瑞克:不错。 |
NL: I call my mother immediately in Hartford, Connecticut. |
诺曼:我立刻打电话给在哈特福德,康涅狄格州的妈妈。 |
'"Mom, this is what's happened, they're starting a hall of fame." |
“妈妈,你知道吗, 他们要成立一个名人堂。“ |
I tell her the list of names and me, and she says, "Listen, if that's what they want to do, who am I to say?" |
我告诉她那些入选者的名字,还有我, 然后她说, ”听着,如果他们要这么做,我还能说什么?“ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
That's my Ma. |
这就是我妈妈。 |
I think it earns that kind of a laugh because everybody has a piece of that mother. |
我觉得能这么好笑的原因是, 因为每个人的妈妈都有这样的一面。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
EH: And the sitcom Jewish mother is born, right there. |
艾瑞克:情景喜剧中的犹太人妈妈就这样诞生了。 |
Jewish:adj.犹太人的;犹太族的;
|
So your father also played a large role in your life, mostly by his absence . |
你的父亲在你的人生中也扮演了重要的角色, 大部分是因为他的缺席。 |
absence:n.没有;缺乏;缺席;不注意;
|
NL: Yeah. |
诺曼:是。 |
EH: Tell us what happened when you were nine years old. |
艾瑞克:告诉我们你九岁的时候发生了什么。 |
NL: He was flying to Oklahoma with three guys that my mother said, "I don't want you to have anything to do with them, |
诺曼:他当时要与三个人一同飞去俄克拉何马州, ”我不想你和那三个人有任何关系, |
Oklahoma:n.美国俄克拉荷马州;
|
I don't trust those men." |
我不相信他们。” |
That's when I heard, maybe not for the first time, " Stifle yourself, Jeanette , I'm going." |
那时候我听到他说, “别说了,珍妮特。我要去。” 这大概不是我第一次听到了。 |
Stifle:vt.扼杀; vi.窒息; n.(马等的)后膝关节; (马等的)[动]后膝关节病; Jeanette:n.[纺]细斜纹布;三页斜纹呢;
|
And he went. |
然后他去了。 |
It turns out he was picking up some fake bonds, which he was flying across the country to sell. |
结果他拿到了一些假债券, 飞到全国各地做销售。 |
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
|
But the fact that he was going to Oklahoma in a plane, and he was going to bring me back a 10-gallon hat, just like Ken Maynard, my favorite cowboy wore. |
但是他坐飞机去俄克拉何马州, 他要给我带回一个“十加仑“大檐帽, 就像我最喜欢的牛仔肯· 梅德纳戴的那样—— |
Ken:n.视野范围,见地,知识范围;
|
You know, this was a few years after Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic . |
你知道这是在很多年前林德伯格穿越大西洋之后。 |
Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
|
I mean, it was exotic that my father was going there. |
我的意思是我爸爸那时候去那儿很奇怪。 |
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的;
|
But when he came back, they arrested him as he got off the plane. |
但是当他回来的时候, 他一下飞机就被逮捕了。 |
That night newspapers were all over the house, my father was with his hat in front of his face, manacled to a detective . |
那一晚,屋里到处都是报纸, 我爸爸戴的帽子遮着他的脸, 他被刑警铐上手铐。 |
manacled:n.束缚;手铐;vt.束缚;给…上手铐; detective:n.侦探;警探;私人侦探;adj.侦查(用)的
|
And my mother was selling the furniture , because we were leaving -- she didn't want to stay in that state of shame, in Chelsea , Massachusetts. |
我妈妈开始卖家具,因为我们要离开—— 她不想待在切尔西,马萨诸塞州 生活在耻辱中。 |
furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物; Chelsea:n.切尔西(伦敦自治城市,为文艺界人士聚居地);
|
And selling the furniture -- the house was loaded with people. |
她在卖家具的时候—— 屋里全都是人。 |
And in the middle of all of that, some strange horse's ass put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Well, you're the man of the house now." |
在这些人当中, 有一个奇怪的蠢货把手放到我的肩膀上,说: ”嗯,现在你是家中的男人了。“ |
I'm crying, and this asshole says, "You're the man of the house now." |
我正在哭,而这个混蛋说,”现在你是这个家里的男人了。“ |
asshole:n.混蛋;肛门;
|
And I think that was the moment |
我想我就是从那时起 |
I began to understand the foolishness of the human condition. |
开始理解到人性的愚蠢。 |
foolishness:n.愚蠢;胡言;傻事情;
|
So ... |
然后…… |
it took a lot of years to look back at it and feel it was a benefit. |
我花了很多年重新审视它并感觉到它的益处。 |
But -- |
但是—— |
EH: It's interesting you call it a benefit. |
艾瑞克:你把它看作是有益的这很有趣。 |
NL: Benefit in that it gave me that springboard . |
诺曼:益处在于它给了我一个出发点。 |
springboard:n.跳板;出发点;vi.利用跳板跃进;
|
I mean that I could think how foolish it was to say to this crying nine-year-old boy, "You're the man of the house now." |
我的意思是我可以认为 对一个在哭泣的九岁男孩说”现在你是这个家里的男人了。“ 这样的行为很愚蠢。 |
And then I was crying, and then he said, "And men of the house don't cry." |
然后我还在哭,然后他说: ”一家之主是不能流泪的。“ |
And I ... |
然后我…… |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So ... |
所以…… |
I look back, and I think that's when I learned the foolishness of the human condition, and it's been that gift that I've used. |
我回顾,然后我想 那个时候,我了解到了人性的愚蠢, 之后我一直受益于这个礼物。 |
EH: So you have a father who's absent , you have a mother for whom apparently nothing is good enough. |
艾瑞克:所以你有一个缺席的父亲, 你有一个认为什么都不够好的母亲。 |
absent:adj.缺席的;缺少的;心不在焉的;茫然的;v.使缺席; apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
|
Do you think that starting out as a kid who maybe never felt heard started you down a journey that ended with you being an adult with a weekly audience of 120 million people? |
你觉不觉得,从一个感到从未被倾听的孩子开始, 一路走来, 这段旅程使你最后成为一个 一周拥有一亿两千万收视观众的人? |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
NL: I love the way you put that question, because I guess I've spent my life wanting -- if anything, wanting to be heard. |
诺曼:我喜欢你问这个问题的方式, 因为我猜,我已经花了一生的时间想—— 是否有什么是需要被倾听的。 |
I think -- |
我想—— |
It's a simple answer, yes, that was what sparked -- well, there were other things, too. |
这是个简单的答案,是, 就是这个激励了我—— 嗯,也有别的。 |
sparked:v.点燃,发动(spark的过去式,过去分词);鼓舞;
|
When my father was away, |
我爸爸不在的时候, |
I was fooling with a crystal radio set that we had made together, and I caught a signal that turned out to be Father Coughlin. |
我摆弄着一个我们之前一起做的矿石收音机, 我捕捉到一个信号结果是神父柯林。 |
crystal:n.水晶; adj.晶莹的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Yeah, somebody laughed. |
嗯,一些人笑了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But not funny, this was a horse's -- another horse's ass -- who was very vocal about hating the New Deal and Roosevelt and Jews. |
但是这并不好笑, 这是一个蠢—— 另一个蠢货—— 他激烈地表达对新政, 对罗斯福,和对犹太人的厌恶。 |
vocal:adj.嗓音的;发声的;大声表达的;直言不讳的;n.(乐曲中的)歌唱部分;
|
The first time I ran into an understanding that there were people in this world that hated me because I was born to Jewish parents. |
那是我第一次意识到 这个世界上有人讨厌我 就因为我父母是犹太人。 |
And that had an enormous effect on my life. |
这对我的人生产生了巨大的影响。 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
|
EH: So you had a childhood with little in the way of strong male role models, except for your grandfather. |
艾瑞克:你的童年 缺少强大的男性榜样, 除了你的爷爷。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 in the way of:妨碍;关于…方面;
|
Tell us about him. |
跟我们说说他。 |
NL: Oh, my grandfather. |
诺曼:哦,我的爷爷。 |
Well here's the way I always talked about that grandfather. |
嗯,我总是这样谈论我的爷爷。 |
There were parades , lots of parades when I was a kid. |
我还是个孩子的时候 有游行,很多游行。 |
parades:n.游行;陈列;检阅(parade的复数);v.在…游行;在…散步(parade的三单形式);
|
There were parades on Veteran's Day -- there wasn't a President's Day. |
老兵节有游行—— 不过总统日没有。 |
There was Abraham Lincoln's birthday, |
亚伯拉罕·林肯的生日有, |
George Washington's birthday and Flag Day ... |
乔治·华盛顿的生日有, 还有国旗日…… |
Flag Day:n.美国国旗纪念日(6月14日)
|
And lots of little parades. |
也有很多小游行。 |
My grandfather used to take me and we'd stand on the street corner, he'd hold my hand, and I'd look up and I'd see a tear running down his eye. |
我爷爷以前会带我去, 我们会站在街角, 他拉着我的手, 我抬头会看到他流眼泪。 |
And he meant a great deal to me. |
他对我来说意味着很多。 |
And he used to write presidents of the United States. |
他以前会给美国总统写信。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
Every letter started, "My dearest, darling Mr. President," |
每封信都这样开始, ”我最最亲爱的总统先生,“ |
and he'd tell him something wonderful about what he did. |
然后告诉他一些他做的了不起的事。 |
But when he disagreed with the President, he also wrote, "My dearest, darling Mr. President, |
但是当他不同意总统的决定时,他也写信。 ”我最最亲爱的总统先生, |
disagreed:v.不同意;有分歧;不符;不一致;(disagree的过去分词和过去式)
|
Didn't I tell you last week ...?" |
上星期我是不是跟你说过……?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I would run down the stairs every now and then and pick up the mail. |
去拿信件。 |
every now and then:不时地;常常;
|
We were three flights up,74 York Street, New Haven, Connecticut. |
我们当时住在康涅狄格州纽黑文约克街的74号, |
And I'd pick up a little white envelope reading, "Shya C. called at this address." |
我会拿到一个小信封,上面写着“住在这里的Shya C.”。 |
envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹;
|
And that's the story I have told about my grandfather -- |
这就是我讲述过的关于我爷爷的故事。 |
EH: They wrote him back on the envelopes -- |
艾瑞克:他们在信封上回信—— |
envelopes:n.信封(envelope的复数);
|
NL: They wrote back. |
诺曼:他们回信了。 |
But I have shown them myself, going way back to Phil Donahue and others before him, literally dozens of interviews in which I told that story. |
但我已经向他们坦白, 从多年前的菲尔多纳休还有在他之前的其他人, 几乎每次的访谈中,我都有提到那个故事, |
interviews:n.面试; v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈);
|
This will be the second time I have said the whole story was a lie. |
这将是我第二次说这个故事是个谎言。 |
The truth was my grandfather took me to parades, we had lots of those. |
真相是我爷爷带我去游行, 我们去过很多次。 |
The truth is a tear came down his eye. |
真相是他流泪了。 |
The truth is he would write an occasional letter, and I did pick up those little envelopes. |
真相是他偶尔会写一封信, 而我的确拿到了那些小信封。 |
occasional:adj.偶然的;临时的;特殊场合的;
|
But "My dearest darling Mr. President," |
但是“我最最亲爱的总统先生”, |
all the rest of it, is a story I borrowed from a good friend whose grandfather was that grandfather who wrote those letters. |
和剩下的所有 都是一个我从好朋友那儿借鉴的故事, 他的爷爷才是那个写了那些信的爷爷。 |
all the rest:其他所有相关信息;
|
And, I mean, I stole Arthur Marshall's grandfather and made him my own. |
我是说,我偷了阿瑟·马歇尔的爷爷, 把他变成了我自己的。 |
Always. |
一直都是这样。 |
When I started to write my memoir -- "Even this --" |
当我开始写我的回忆录时—— 《甚至这些——》 |
memoir:n.回忆录;研究报告;自传;实录;
|
How about that? |
你怎么看这件事? |
'"Even This I Get to Experience." |
甚至这些我都曾经历过 |
When I started to write the memoir and I started to think about it, and then I -- |
当我开始写回忆录时, 我开始思考, 然后我—— |
I -- |
我—— |
I did a reasonable amount of crying, and I realized how much I needed the father. |
我真情流露地哭了, 然后我意识到我是多么地需要“父亲”。 |
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
|
So much so that I appropriated Arthur Marshall's grandfather. |
这么需要以至于我借用了阿瑟·马歇尔的爷爷。 |
appropriated:v.挪用;拨款;把…据为己有;顺手牵羊(appropriate的过去式);
|
So much so, the word "father" -- |
这么需要“爸爸”—— |
I have six kids by the way . |
顺便一提,我有六个孩子, |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
My favorite role in life. |
“爸爸”是我生活中最喜欢的角色, |
It and husband to my wife Lyn. |
还有身为我妻子,林,的丈夫这个角色。 |
But I stole the man's identity because I needed the father. |
但是我偷用了那个人的身份因为我需要一个“爸爸“。 |
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
|
Now I've gone through a whole lot of shit and come out on the other side , and I forgive my father -- the best thing I -- the worst thing I -- |
我经历了那么多悲惨的事, 结果我站到了另一边, 我原谅了我的爸爸—— 最好的事情—— 最坏的事情—— |
on the other side:另一面;在另一边; forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等);
|
The word I'd like to use about him and think about him is -- he was a rascal . |
我想起他,形容他想要用的词是—— 他是一个混蛋。 |
rascal:n.流氓,无赖;淘气鬼,捣蛋鬼;adj.不诚实的;下贱的,卑鄙的;
|
The fact that he lied and stole and cheated and went to prison ... |
他说谎,偷窃,欺骗, 然后进了监狱…… |
I submerge that in the word "rascal." |
我让这些都沉浸在“混蛋”这个词中。 |
submerge:vt.淹没;把…浸入;沉浸;vi.淹没;潜入水中;湮没;
|
EH: Well there's a saying that amateurs borrow and professionals steal. |
艾瑞克:人们常说, 外行借,内行偷 。 |
amateurs:n.业余爱好者;业余运动员;生手;外行;(amateur的复数) professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数);
|
NL: I'm a pro. |
诺曼:我是职业的。 |
EH: You're a pro. |
艾瑞克:没错,你是职业的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And that quote is widely attributed to John Lennon, but it turns out he stole it from T.S. Eliot. |
人们普遍认为这句话出自约翰·列侬, 但其实他是从艾略特那偷来的。 |
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; attributed:v.归于(attribute的过去式,过去分词);属性化;
|
So you're in good company. |
所以你有好同伴了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
EH: I want to talk about your work. |
艾瑞克:我想谈谈你的成就。 |
Obviously the impact of your work has been written about and I'm sure you've heard about it all your life: what it meant to people, what it meant to our culture, |
显然你的成就所带来的影响已经被评论过, 我相信你已经听过很多: 它对人们意味着什么, 它对我们的文化意味着什么, |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
you heard the applause when I just named the names of the shows, you raised half the people in the room through your work. |
当我刚才列举那些电视剧电影的时候你听到了掌声, 你使这里半数的人起身致敬你的成就。 |
But have there ever been any stories about the impact of your work that surprised you? |
有没有过什么关于你成就影响的故事 使你感到惊讶呢? |
NL: Oh, god -- surprised me and delighted me from head to toe . |
诺曼:哦,上帝—— 使我整个人都感到惊讶和欣喜。 |
delighted:adj.高兴的; v.使高兴; (delight的过去分词和过去式) toe:n.脚趾;鞋头;v.用脚趾踩;用脚尖踢;
|
There was "An Evening with Norman Lear" within the last year that a group of hip-hop impresarios , performers and the Academy put together . |
去年有一个“和诺曼·李尔的夜晚”的谈话节目, 把一群嘻哈经理人, 舞者和电视学会聚在一起。 |
hip-hop:n.街舞,即兴音乐;嘻哈; impresarios:n.(意)(歌剧、乐团等的)演出者;经理人;乐队指挥,导演; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
|
The subtext of "An Evening with ..." |
“和……的夜晚”的潜台词是: |
subtext:n.潜台词;潜在的意思;潜在的性格;
|
was: What do a 92-year-old Jew -- then 92 -- and the world of hip-hop have in common? |
一个92岁的犹太人—— 已经92岁了—— 和嘻哈界有什么共同点? |
Russell Simmons was among seven on the stage . |
拉塞尔·西蒙斯是台上的七人之一。 |
on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
|
And when he talked about the shows, he wasn't talking about the Hollywood, |
当他谈到那些电视剧时, 他不是在谈论好莱坞 |
George Jefferson in "The Jeffersons," |
《杰佛逊一家》中的乔治·杰佛逊 |
or the show that was a number five show. |
或是这个当时排名第五的电视剧。 |
He was talking about a simple thing that made a big -- |
他在谈论的是,一件简单的事情产生了巨大的—— |
EH: Impact on him? |
艾瑞克:对他产生了巨大的影响? |
NL: An impact on him -- |
诺曼:对他的影响—— |
I was hesitating over the word, "change." |
我在犹豫用“改变”这个词。 |
hesitating:v.犹豫,迟疑不决;顾虑;疑虑;(hesitate的现在分词)
|
It's hard for me to imagine, you know, changing somebody's life, but that's the way he put it. |
我很难想象, 你知道,改变某人的人生, 但是他是这么说的。 |
He saw George Jefferson write a check on "The Jeffersons," |
他看到乔治·杰佛逊在《杰佛逊一家》中开了一张支票, |
and he never knew that a black man could write a check. |
而他从不知道一个黑人可以写支票。 |
And he says it just impacted his life so -- it changed his life. |
他说,这影响了他的人生—— 这改变了他的人生。 |
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词);
|
And when I hear things like that -- little things -- because I know that there isn't anybody in this audience that wasn't likely responsible today for some little thing they did for somebody, whether it's as little as a smile or an unexpected "Hello," |
而当我听到这样的事情时—— 这些微不足道的小事—— 因为我知道这里的观众没有人 会在意他们为别人做过的小事。 不管它小到是一个微笑还是一个意想不到的“你好”, |
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的; unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的;
|
that's how little this thing was. |
那件事就是这么小。 |
It could have been the dresser of the set who put the checkbook on the thing, and George had nothing to do while he was speaking, so he wrote it, |
有可能是梳妆者 把支票簿放在了那上面, 而乔治在说话的时候无事可做便写了支票, |
dresser:n.梳妆台;碗柜;化妆师;裹伤员;
|
I don't know. |
我不知道, |
But -- |
但是—— |
EH: So in addition to the long list I shared in the beginning, |
艾瑞克:所以除了我在一开始提到的那些成就, |
in addition to:除…之外;
|
I should have also mentioned that you invented hip-hop. |
我也应该提及说是你创造了嘻哈。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
NL: Well ... |
诺曼:额…… |
EH: I want to talk about -- |
艾瑞克:我想谈谈—— |
NL: Well, then do it. |
诺曼:嗯,那就加上吧。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
EH: You've lead a life of accomplishment , but you've also built a life of meaning. |
艾瑞克:你走过了充满成就的一生, 但同时你也造就了充满意义的一生。 |
accomplishment:n.成就;完成;技艺,技能;
|
And all of us strive to do both of those things -- not all of us manage to. |
我们所有人都在努力达成这两件事—— 不是所有人都能成功。 |
strive:v.力求;斗争;反抗;(strive的第三人称单数)
|
But even those of us who do manage to accomplish both of those, very rarely do we figure out how to do them together. |
但即使是那些成功达成这两件事的人, 也极少能弄明白如何同时达成它们。 |
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
|
You managed to push culture forward through your art while also achieving world-beating commercial success. |
你成功用艺术推动了文化的前行, 同时也取得了了惊人的商业成就。 |
world-beating:adj.第一流的;
|
How did you do both? |
你是如何同时做到的? |
NL: Here's where my mind goes when I hear that recitation of all I accomplished . |
诺曼:这是我在听到我所有的成就时想到的。 |
recitation:n.背诵;朗诵;详述;背诵的诗; accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
|
This planet is one of a billion, they tell us, in a universe of which there are billions -- billions of universes , billions of planets ... |
这里是无数行星中的一颗, 他们告诉我们, 在这个宇宙中有几十亿—— 几十亿个宇宙, 几十亿颗行星…… |
universes:语义层;此生彼世;
|
which we're trying to save and it requires saving. |
我们在试图保护, 它也需要我们的保护。 |
But ... |
但是…… |
anything I may have accomplished is -- my sister once asked me what she does about something that was going on in Newington, Connecticut. |
我的任何成就—— 我姐姐曾问我,对于在纽因顿,康涅狄格州发生的事情, 她做了些什么。 |
And I said, "Write your alderman or your mayor or something." |
我说:“写信给市议员或者市长或者别的什么。” |
alderman:n.市议员;总督;市府参事;高级市政官; mayor:n.市长;镇长;
|
She said, "Well I'm not Norman Lear, I'm Claire Lear." |
她说:“额,我不是诺曼·李尔,我是克莱尔·李尔。” |
And that was the first time I said what I'm saying, |
然后那是我第一次说到我现正在谈的这些东西, |
I said, "Claire. With everything you think about what I may have done and everything you've done," -- she never left Newington -- "can you get your fingers close enough |
我说:“克莱尔,你认为我做过的所有事 和你做过的所有事,”—— 她从未离开过纽因顿—— “当你考虑到地球宇宙等等这些大小的时候, |
when you consider the size of the planet and so forth, to measure anything I may have done to anything you may have done?" |
你即使把手指努力并拢,那缝隙也不足以 衡量我做过的或者是你做过的事吗。“ |
So ... |
所以…… |
I am convinced we're all responsible for doing as much as I may have accomplished. |
我相信我们都能 做到我也许达成了的。 |
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I understand what you're saying -- |
我理解你说的是什么—— |
EH: It's an articulate deflection -- |
艾瑞克:这是一个很明显的谎言—— |
articulate:vt.清晰地发(音); vi.发音; adj.发音清晰的; deflection:n.偏向;挠曲;偏差;
|
NL: But you have to really buy into the size and scope of the creator's enterprise, here. |
诺曼:但是你必须考虑到造物主造就的 空间和大小,在这里。 |
scope:n.能力; v.仔细看;
|
EH: But here on this planet you have really mattered. |
艾瑞克:但是在这里在地球上,你真的很重要。 |
NL: I'm a son of a gun . |
诺曼:我是个混蛋。 |
son of a gun:n.龟孙子;破烂货;他妈的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
EH: So I have one more question for you. |
艾瑞克:我还有一个问题。 |
How old do you feel? |
你觉得自己几岁了? |
NL: I am the peer of whoever I'm talking to. |
诺曼:我是任何和我交谈者的同龄人。 |
peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详; whoever:任何人:无论是谁:
|
EH: Well, I feel 93. |
艾瑞克:嗯,我觉得我93岁了。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
NL: We out of here? |
诺曼:结束了? |
EH: Well, I feel 93 years old, but I hope to one day feel as young as the person I'm sitting across from. |
艾瑞克:嗯,我觉得我93岁了, 但是我希望有一天,我也能感觉和坐在我对面的这个人一样年轻。 |
Ladies and gentlemen, the incomparable Norman Lear. |
女士们先生们, 致敬伟大的诺曼·李尔。 |
incomparable:adj.无比的;无可匹敌的;不能比较的;n.盖世无双的人;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
NL: Thank you. |
诺曼:谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |