返回首页

NormaPimentel_2019W-_在美国南部边境恢复人类尊严_-

I'm here to honor the sacredness of life that I see at the border in south Texas. 我来到这里是为了向 德克萨斯州南部边界 我所见的神圣生命致敬。
sacredness:n.神圣;尊崇为神物;受人尊敬;
In 2014, 在2014年,
I visited a detention facility where hundreds of little children, immigrant children, were detained for several weeks in conditions that were very heartbreaking . 我拜访了一间拘留所。 在那里,数百个小孩, 移民儿童, 被囚禁了好几个星期。 他们所居住的环境十分令人痛心。
detention:n.拘留;延迟;挽留; facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资; immigrant:n.(外来)移民;外侨;adj.侨民的; detained:v.拘留;扣押;留住;阻留;(detain的过去分词和过去式) heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的;
They were dirty and muddy and crying. 那些小孩很脏,沾满泥巴, 他们在哭泣,
muddy:adj.泥泞的; vt.使污浊; vi.变得泥泞;
Their faces were full of tears. 脸上流满了泪水。
I had the opportunity to go in and be with them. 我有这个机会进去陪伴他们。
And they were all around me. 然后他们围绕着我。
They were little ones, some of them not older than five years old. 他们很小, 其中有些不超过五岁。
And they were saying to me, "Get me out of here." 他们跟我说 「请把我从这里带走。」
(Spanish) "Por favor, ayúdame." (西班牙语) Por favor, ayúdame.
'"Please, help me." 「求你了,请幫幫我。」
It was so difficult to be there with them. 跟他们待在一起非常困难。
I started to cry with them, and I told them, "Let us pray." 我开始和他们一起哭泣, 然后我告诉他们, 「我们一起祈祷吧。」
(Spanish) "Vamos a rezar." (西班牙语) Vamos a rezar.
And they repeated after me, 他们跟着我重复
(Spanish) "Diosito, ayúdanos." (西班牙语) Diosito, ayúdanos.
'"God, please, help us." 「神,请幫幫我们。」
As we prayed, I could see the Border Patrol officers looking through a glass window. 在祈祷的时候, 我可以看见边境巡逻军官 透过玻璃窗看着我们,
Patrol:n.巡逻;巡逻队;侦察队;vt.巡逻;巡查;vi.巡逻;巡查;
They were at the verge of tears. 听着小孩子的祈祷和表明信念,
verge:vi.濒临,接近;处在边缘;n.边缘;
As they heard the children praying and witness . 他们几乎落泪了。
witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
I had a little boy get close to me, closer, because they were all over, we could barely fit in that little cell. 有一个小男孩挨着我越来越近 这是因为他们坐满了整个地方, 我们很勉强地挤在小小的屋子里。
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
And this little boy tells me, 这个小男孩跟我说:
Quiero irme con mi mamá." Quiero irme con mi mamá."
'"Please, help me. 「请幫幫我,
I want to be with my mother. 我想跟我妈妈在一起。
She is here, I was separated from her." 她也在这里,但是我们被分开了。」
I said to him, "Mijo, if your mom is here, 我跟他说, 「亲爱的,如果你母亲在这里,
I'm certain you will be reunited ." 我很肯定你们将会团聚。」
reunited:v.重聚;使再结合(reunite的过去式和过去分词);
When I walked out of the cell, an officer got close to me and said to me, "Sister, thank you. 当我走出牢房的时候, 一名军官接近我并跟我说, 「修女,谢谢你。
You have helped us realize that they are human beings." 你令我们意识到, 他们依然是人类。」
You know, sometimes, no matter what job we have, we must never forget to recognize the humanity in others. 有时候,无论我们是什么职業, 我们切勿忘记尊重他们的人性
no matter what:不管什么…; recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
Otherwise, we will lose our own humanity. 否则,我们会失去自己的人性。
Let me tell you a bit about what I see and what I do in the southern border of the United States where I live and where I work. 让我告诉你在美国南部边界, 我所见的和我所做的。 那是我居住和工作的地方。
Hundreds of families enter the United States by crossing the Rio Grande river. 上百个家庭度过格兰河, 进入了美国。
Grande:adj.重大的,显要的;
And once they are in the United States, many of them are given permission to continue their process of immigration at another point in the United States. 一旦进入美国之后, 大部分人会获得批准, 并在某些时候继续移民美国的过程。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; immigration:n.外来移民;移居;
What has amazed me for all these years has been the amazing humanitarian response of the community there in south Texas. 这些年来,最令我惊叹的是, 德克萨斯州南部社区 表现出的出色并人道的反应。
humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者; response:n.响应;反应;回答; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Thousands of volunteers have given of their time so generously . 上千个志愿者 慷慨地付出自己的时间。
volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) generously:adv.慷慨地;宽大地;丰盛地;
For me, they're all amazing people. 在我看来,他们全是出色的人们。
And the whole community, city government, from local business leaders to civic organizations , all faith communities , in the Border Patrol and ICE. 然后,整个社区, 包括市区政府, 当地的企業领袖, 公民组织, 全部信仰团体, 边境巡逻队和美国移民及海关执法局,
civic:adj.市的;公民的,市民的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
We have all come together in an effort to help 150,000 or more immigrants since that first day that we got started. 我们大家同心合力, 我们极力幫助 150,000 多名移民者, 自从从第一天开始。
immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数);
Back in those first days when we were first involved in helping the immigrants, we were at our respite center, and an officer from the city walks in and tells me, "Sister, what are you doing here?" 回到一开始的时候, 我们刚参与幫助移民者的工作, 我们在暂托中心, 一个来自城市里的警官走进来, 他问我: 「修女,你在这里做什么?」
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) respite:n.缓解;暂缓;暂时的休息;缓期执行;vt.使缓解;使暂缓;使延期;缓期执行;
I turned and looked to see what was happening at the respite center. 我转过身去看暂托中心里 正在发生什么。
I was amazed at what I was seeing. 我为所见到的一切感到惊叹。
There were hundreds of volunteers helping so many families there that needed help. 那里有上百个志愿者, 正在幫助许多需要协助的家庭。
Giving them ways to get cleaned up and to get clean clothing, food, hygiene items . 志愿者幫助他们清理自己, 取得干净的衣服,食物,和卫生用品。
hygiene:n.卫生;卫生学;保健法; items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数)
Just love and compassion was seen everywhere. 爱与同情心到处可见。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
So I turned back and I responded to him and I said, " Restoring human dignity . 我转回身来,回应他: 「恢复人的尊严。
responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词) Restoring:adj.恢复的;v.恢复,重建;正在恢复;(restore的现在分词); dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
That's what we're doing." 这就是我们正在做的。」
I don't think he expected that answer from me, because he took a step back and then approached me again and said, "Sister, if I had a magic wand , what would that magic wand do for you?" 他完全没想到我会这样回答, 因为他向后退了一步, 然后再次接近我,问道: 「修女,如果我有魔法棒, 你会用它来做什么呢?」
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) wand:n.魔杖; v.用扫描笔在…上扫描条形码;
'"Showers?" 「沐浴器?」
Sure enough, that evening we had a mobile unit of eight showers. 结果,那天晚上我们 获得了8 个移动沐浴设施。
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
Amazing. 太神奇了。
And after that, we had 100 percent support of the city government. 在那之后, 我们获得了市区政府百分之百的支持。
We were there, wanting to make sure that we were helping and be successful with our response to so many families that we were seeing every single day. 在那里, 我们确保能够幫上忙, 并且成功地应对 我们每天看见的许多家庭。
I think that we must help others see what we see. 我认为,我们必须让 其他人看到我们所见的。
I think it's important that we can share that with others. 我觉得跟别人分享 是一件很重要的事。
You probably heard this idea before -- that we must always see God's children as equal. 你应该有听过这个概念—— 我们必须对神的孩子一视同仁。
But in order to do that, 为了做到这件事,
I think it's important to be able to see them as people. 必须要先把他们视为人类。
To be able to have a personal encounter , when we can feel what they feel, when we can understand what they're hurting. 能够亲身经历, 体验他们所感受到的, 明白他们的痛苦之处,
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; encounter:v.遭遇,邂逅;遇到;n.遭遇,偶然碰见;
To really meet up with them. 在现实中与他们见面。
meet up with:偶遇;碰面;符合标准;
It is then that we are present to them and we can make their humanity a part of our own humanity. 出现在他们当前, 把他们的人性 变成我们人性的一部分。
And we'd recognize that we are all part of the same human family. 然后,我们会意识到, 我们全部都属于同样的人类大家庭。
During those days, 在那些日子中,
I had a lady approach me and tell me, helping these illegal aliens." 有一个女士接近并告诉我: 幫助这些非法移民者。」
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
And I said to her, "Let me tell you what I do and why." 我跟她说: 「让我告诉你我所做的和当中的原因。」
So I shared with her and introduced her to the families and the children, shared the stories that they are living. 因此,我跟她介绍每个家庭和小孩, 分享他们生命中的故事。
When I finished talking with her, she turns and looks at me and says, 当我和她讲完时, 她转过身来,看着我说:
(Laughter and applause) (笑声和掌声)
That evening, her husband calls me, he tells me, "Sister, I don't know what you did to my wife. 当晚,她丈夫打电话给我, 他告诉我: 「修女,我不知道你跟我妻子说了什么。
But this evening she came home and she said, 'If Sister Norma ever calls you, you make sure you do what she tells you.' 但是今天晚上她回家后跟我说, 『如果诺马修女打电话给你, 一定要照着她说的做。』
So I'm just reporting to let you know I'm here to help in any way." 所以,我来跟你报告, 我乐意以任何方式幫忙。」
Well, you know ... 那个,你知道的...
I'm thinking that -- was it a personal encounter that she had? 我在想—— 这是不是因为她的亲身经历呢?
I think it's a nice idea, a nice message, but I don't think it's the whole story. 我觉得那是一个好的理念,好的信息, 但那不是完整的始末。
In that encounter, we must put aside our prejudice that we have toward others, that separate us and don't allow us to see them, our walls that we put up in our own heart that keep us separated from others. 在见面时,我们必须 把对他人的偏见放在一旁。 偏见把我们分开, 令我们无法正视他们, 它是我们自己在心里建起来的墻, 隔离开我们和其他人。
prejudice:n.偏见;侵害;vt.损害;使有偏见;
When we are able to do that, we're able to reach out to them. 当我们做到这件事, 我们能够向他们伸出援手。
You know, I think what doesn't make it possible is fear -- that we're afraid. 我认为恐惧令我们做不到这件事—— 我们感到害怕。
And because we're afraid -- more than likely it's because we've seen in the media all this negative rhetoric that we hear about immigrants, they are demonized , like they're not human, that we can discard them and we can get rid of them, and not even feel bad that we're doing that. 因为我们感到害怕—— 极大可能是因为我们在媒体所见的, 那些关于移民者的负面言论。 他们被妖魔化, 就像他们不是人类一样, 就像我们可以抛弃他们, 排除他们, 甚至不会因此感到难过。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; rhetoric:n.修辞,修辞学;华丽的词藻;adj.花言巧语的; demonized:vt.妖魔化;使…成为魔鬼; discard:v.丢弃; n.被抛弃的人(或物); (尤指纸牌游戏中)垫出的牌;
Immigrant families are not criminals. 移民家庭不是犯罪分子。
Immigrant families are like our families, like our neighbors. 移民家庭就像是我们的家庭, 我们的邻居。
They're good people who are entering our country and coming to the United States only simply because they're fleeing away from violence and they want to be safe. 他们是好人, 正在进入我们的国家,来到美国, 只是为了从暴力中逃走, 希望能够平安无事。
fleeing:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的现在分词) violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
Unfortunately , what we see at the border is terrible. 不幸的是,我们在边境所见的很糟糕。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
People are hurting and suffering. 人们受到伤害,受到折磨,
Thousands of them are. 上千的人都是。
And mostly I feel it's because of those walls that we put up, that we have in our hearts, that makes us not care. 我觉得这大多是因为 我们在自己心里建起来的墻, 它令我们不再关心。
So we have policies that are returning people back to Mexico, so they can wait. 我们有把人们遣返回墨西哥的政策, 让他们等待。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
And they wait there for months. 接着,他们在糟糕的状况下,
In conditions that are horrible , where people are suffering and hurting. 受到折磨和伤害的状况下, 等待了好几个月。
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
Abuses . 虐待。
Abuses:v.滥用;虐待;辱骂(abuse的三单形式);n.滥用;虐待;暴行(abuse的复数);
And not even the means to be OK. 离好的方法差的远了。
I think that it is true that we must keep our country safe, that we must make sure who enters our country, that criminals should be put away. 我认为确保国家安全 是没有错的, 我们必须确认谁进入我们的国家, 犯罪分子必须被带走。
But it is also true that we must not lose our humanity in doing this. 但是事实上, 我们不可以在这么做的 同时失去自己的人性。
That we must have policies and procedures that do not contribute to the human suffering that people are already suffering. 我们必须要有一些 不会增加人们的苦难 的政策和程序。
procedures:n.程序;规程(procedure的复数); contribute to:有助于;捐献;
And that we can find solutions that are respectful to all human life. 我们能够找到尊重 所有人类生命的解决方案。
respectful:adj.恭敬的;有礼貌的;
We can do this, if we can allow the best in us to come out. 我们可以做到的。 我们只需要展现最好的自己。
Because what I see at the border are families, men, who will take a child and will try to comfort that child that is crying because that child is crying for their own dad. 因为我在边境看见了家庭, 一些男士抱着哭泣中小孩, 尝试着安慰他, 因为那个小孩正在为自己的父亲哭泣。
And these men are crying with that child. 然后,这些男士陪小孩一起哭。
I see men and women who drop to their knees, praying. 我看见跪在地上的女士, 正在祈祷。
As they pray in thanksgiving. 他们充满感恩地祈祷。
I see children who have been separated from their parents for months. 我看见小孩和父母被分开了几个月。
And when they're reunited, they're afraid to separate themselves from them, because they're afraid they will lose their mom again. 当他们团聚的时候, 他们不敢分开, 因为他们害怕再次失去母亲。
Once a child looked up to me after she was reunited and she said to me, 有一次团聚后,一个小孩抬头看我, 她告诉我:
(Spanish) "Hoy no voy a llorar." (西班牙语) Hoy no voy a llorar.
'"Today I'm not going to cry." 「今天我不会哭了。」
And I said, (Spanish) "Por qué, mi hija?" 我问:(西班牙语) Por qué, mi hija?
She said, "Because I have been crying for the past whole month, because I didn't know where my mother was. 她说:「过去一个月我都在哭, 因为我不知道我妈妈在哪里。
But tonight, I'm going to be with her." 但是今晚,我会跟她团聚。」
The day I visited the detention facility back in 2014, there was a little boy who approached me and asked me for me to help him find his mom. 2014 年,我拜访拘留所的那天, 有一个小男孩接近我并问我 可不可以幫忙找他的母亲。
Well, that evening, when I was at the humanitarian respite center, the little boy walked in with his mother. 那天晚上,当我在暂托中心的时候, 那个小男孩和他的母亲一起走进来。
And as soon as he spotted me, he runs toward me, I go down to greet him, and he just throws himself to hug me. 当他注意到我的时候, 他马上跑向我,我下去迎接他, 他奔向我,然后给了我一个大大的拥抱。
as soon as:一…就; spotted:adj.有花点的;有斑点的;v.看见;看出;发现;让步;(spot的过去分词和过去式)
It was so beautiful, that was truly a beautiful human encounter. 那场面很美丽, 真的是美丽的经历。
I think it's humanity at its best. 那展现了人性最好的一面。
It is what we all are called to do. 我们被召唤这样做。
Think about it. 你想想,
We just need to allow ourselves to get close enough to see, and we will care. 我们只需要走得更近,看的更清楚, 我们就能够释出关怀。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)