返回首页

NoelMerz_2011X-_女性面临的最大健康威胁_

One out of two of you women will be impacted by cardiovascular disease in your lifetime. 二分之一的女性 一生中会受到心血管疾病 的影响。
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词); cardiovascular:adj.[解剖]心血管的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
So this is the leading killer of women. 这是女性的头号杀手。
It's a closely held secret for reasons I don't know. 我不知道为什么 不为人所知。
In addition to making this personal -- so we're going to talk about your relationship with your heart and all women's relationship with their heart -- we're going to wax into the politics . 除了针对个人以外-- 我们要谈论你与你心脏的关系, 所有女性与心脏的关系-- 我们要铸进政治中去。
In addition to:除…之外; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; wax:n.蜡; v.给…打蜡; adj.蜡制的; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
Because the personal, as you know, is political. 因为个人呢,也是政治化的。
And not enough is being done about this. 在这一点上做得还不够。
And as we have watched women conquer breast cancer through the breast cancer campaign, this is what we need to do now with heart. 我们都曾经见过 借助乳腺癌的宣传 女性在征服乳腺癌。 现在我们也应当这样来对待我们的心脏。
conquer:v.占领;攻克;征服;击败,战胜;对付,克服,控制;很受欢迎 cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
Since 1984, more women die in the U.S. than men. 从1984年以来 在美国,女性的死亡率高于男性。
So where we used to think of heart disease as being a man's problem primarily -- which that was never true, but that was kind of how everybody thought in the 1950s and '60s, and it was in all the textbooks. 我们那时都习惯认为 心脏病是男性的主要问题- 其实从来就不正确。 但20世纪五,六十年代人人都这样认为, 并且课本里都是这样的。
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
It's certainly what I learned when I was training. 我受训的时候就是这样学的。
If we were to remain sexist , and that was not right, but if we were going to go forward and be sexist , it's actually a woman's disease. 五六十年代那种含有性别歧视色彩的观点是不对的。 可是,为了讨论这个问题,就让我们站在女性立场上吧。 心脏疾病实际就是女性的疾病。
sexist:n.性别歧视者;男性至上主义者;adj.性别主义者的;性别歧视者的;
So it's a woman's disease now. 现在是女性的疾病。
And one of the things that you see is that male line, the mortality is going down, down, down, down, down. 有一件事情你看到的是, 这条男性线上的 死亡率一直在下降,下降,下降。
mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
And you see the female line since 1984, the gap is widening . 从1984年来,女性这条线, 差距在加宽。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; widening:v.(使)变宽;拓宽;(使)扩展,程度加深,范围扩大;(widen的现在分词)
More and more women, two, three, four times more women, dying of heart disease than men. 越来越多的女性,死于心脏疾病的 比男性多两倍,三倍或四倍。
And that's too short of a time period for all the different risk factors that we know to change. 在这个太短的时间内, 我们有诸多的不同威胁因素 要改变。
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
So what this really suggested to us at the national level was that diagnostic and therapeutic strategies , which had been developed in men, by men, for men for the last 50 years -- and they work pretty well in men, don't they? -- weren't working so well for women. 所以,这就建议我们 采取国家级别的 诊断和治疗策略, 因为在过去的50年里曾被男性开发, 也为男性服务, 它们也起了很好的作用,是不是? 但,女性们没得到什么好处。
diagnostic:adj.诊断的;特征的;n.诊断法;诊断结论; therapeutic:adj.治疗的;治疗学的;有益于健康的;n.治疗剂;治疗学家; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
So that was a big wake-up call in the 1980's. 那是80年代的 一个大警钟。
wake-up call:叫醒电话;叫醒服务;警钟;唤醒服务;
Heart disease kills more women at all ages than breast cancer. 无论哪个年龄段, 女性的心脏病死亡率 都高于乳腺癌。
And the breast cancer campaign -- again, this is not a competition . 虽然乳腺癌作了宣传活动, 但这不是竞争。
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛;
We're trying to be as good as the breast cancer campaign. 我们要做像乳腺癌同样好的宣传活动。
We need to be as good as the breast cancer campaign to address this crisis . 我们需要做和乳腺癌同样好的活动 来解决这场危机。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
Now sometimes when people see this, 有时,人们看到这些
I hear this gasp . 就会叹气.
gasp:v.喘气,喘息;气喘吁吁地说;渴望;n.深吸气;倒抽气;
We can all think of someone, often a young woman, who has been impacted by breast cancer. 我们可以想到某个人, 常常是一位很年轻的妇女 会受乳腺癌的影响。
We often can't think of a young woman who has heart disease. 我们却不会想到一位年轻的妇女 会得心脏病。
I'm going to tell you why. 我要告诉大家为什么这样。
Heart disease kills people, often very quickly. 心脏病发作死亡, 经常很快。
So the first time heart disease strikes in women and men, half of the time it's sudden cardiac death -- no opportunity to say good-bye, no opportunity to take her to the chemotherapy , no opportunity to help her pick out a wig . 所以心脏病第一次袭击男性和女性, 半数是心源性猝死-- 没机会说再见, 没机会带她去做化疗, 没机会帮她挑选假发。
cardiac:n.强心剂;强胃剂;adj.心脏的;心脏病的;贲门的; chemotherapy:n.[临床]化学疗法; wig:n.假发;v.激动;发狂;使戴假发;斥责
Breast cancer, mortality is down to four percent. 乳腺癌 死亡率下降了4个百分点。
And that is the 40 years that women have advocated . 这就是40年来 妇女呼吁的结果。
advocated:vt.提倡,主张,拥护;n.提倡者;支持者;律师;
Betty Ford , Nancy Reagan stood up and said, "I'm a breast cancer survivor," 贝蒂?福特,南希.里根曾经站起来 说:“我是乳腺癌的幸存者,”
Betty:n.贝蒂(皮包品牌); Ford:n.福特[姓氏];浅滩;v.涉(水);渡河;津渡; Nancy:adj.柔弱的;搞同性关系的;n.假娘儿们;
and it was okay to talk about it. 这是可以谈论的。
And then physicians have gone to bat. 于是,医师们就去着手。
physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数);
We've done the research. 我们做了调查。
We have effective therapies now. 我们现在拥有有效的疗法。
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; therapies:n.治疗方法(therapy复数形式);
Women are living longer than ever. 女性比以前更长寿。
That has to happen in heart disease, and it's time. 对待心脏病也应该这样,是时候了。
It's not happening, and it's time. 现在还没做什么,是时候了。
We owe an incredible debt of gratitude to these two women. 我们对这两位女性 欠下感激之债。
owe:v.归功于;欠(债);欠(账);欠(情) incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; debt of gratitude:人情债;
As Barbara depicted in one of her amazing movies, "Yentl," 就像芭芭拉 在她的一部很棒的电影《燕特尔》“Yentl”里
depicted:vt.描述;描画;
she portrayed a young woman who wanted an education. 刻画了一位年轻的女性 想要受教育。
portrayed:v.描绘;描画;描写;表现;扮演(某角色)(portray的过去分词和过去式)
And she wanted to study the Talmud. 她想学习犹太法典。
And so how did she get educated then? 那她怎么样接受的教育呢?
She had to impersonate a man. 她必需得装扮成男人。
impersonate:vt.扮演;模仿;拟人,人格化;
She had to look like a man. 她必需看上去像个男人。
She had to make other people believe that she looked like a man and she could have the same rights that the men had. 她必需让别人相信她像个男人, 她有男人该有的 同样的权利。
Bernadine Healy, Dr. Healy, was a cardiologist . 伯纳丁·希利, 希利医师是个心脏病学家。
cardiologist:n.心脏病学家;心脏病科医师;
And right around that time, in the 1980's, that we saw women and heart disease deaths going up, up, up, up, up, she wrote an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine and said, the Yentl syndrome . 当时是1980年代, 我们看到女性心脏病死亡 一直上升,上升,上升, 她在新英格兰医学杂志上 写了一篇社论, 说到燕特尔综合症。
editorial:adj.编辑的;社论的;n.社论; Journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报; syndrome:n.[临床]综合征;综合症状;并发症状;校验子;并发位;
Women are dying of heart disease, two, three, four times more than men. 死于心脏病的女性 是男性的两倍,三倍或四倍。
Mortality is not going down, it's going up. 死亡率没有下降,而在上升。
And she questioned, she hypothesized , is this a Yentl syndrome? 她质疑过, 她假设过 这是一种燕特尔综合症吗?
hypothesized:v.假定,假设,猜测(hypothesize的过去式);
And here's what the story is. 故事是这样的。
Is it because women don't look like men, they don't look like that male-pattern heart disease that we've spent the last 50 years understanding and getting really good diagnostics and really good therapeutics , and therefore, they're not recognized for their heart disease. 因为女性长的不像男性, 她们的心脏病不像男性模式, 她们没有我们研究了50年而理解的 真正好的诊断 和真正好的治疗。 因此,她们的心脏病没被公认。
diagnostics:n.诊断学(用作单数); therapeutics:n.疗法,治疗学; recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
And they're just passed. 她们就这样走了。
They don't get treated , they don't get detected , they don't get the benefit of all the modern medicines. 她们没得到医治,她们没被检测, 她们没有得益于所有的现代医药。
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) detected:v.发现;查明;侦察出;(detect的过去分词和过去式)
Doctor Healy then subsequently became the first female director of our National Institutes of Health. 希利医师后来成为 美国国家卫生部的 首位女部长。
subsequently:adv.随后,其后;后来; Institutes:n.学院(institute的复数);v.建立(institute的第三人称单数形式);
And this is the biggest biomedical enterprise research in the world. 这是世界上最大的 生物医学企业研究。
biomedical:adj.生物医学的;
And it funds a lot of my research. 我的许多研究是由它赞助的。
funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金;
It funds research all over the place. 它赞助的研究到处都有。
It was a very big deal for her to become director. 她当部长 是很轰动一时的。
And she started, in the face of a lot of controversy , the Women's Health Initiative . 她开始的时候, 面临了许多 对女性健康倡议的争议。
in the face of:面对; controversy:n.争论;论战;辩论; Initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
And every woman in the room here has benefited from that Women's Health Initiative. 在座的每一位女性 都得益于妇女健康倡议。
It told us about hormone replacement therapy. 它告诉我们激素替代疗法。
hormone:n.[生理]激素,荷尔蒙; replacement:n.替换;更换;替代品;接替者;
It's informed us about osteoporosis . 它告诉我们骨质疏松症。
informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式) osteoporosis:n.[外科]骨质疏松症;
It informed us about breast cancer, colon cancer in women. 它告诉我们女性的乳腺癌,大肠癌。
colon:n.[解剖]结肠;冒号(用于引语,说明,例证等之前);科郎(哥斯达黎加货币单位);
So a tremendous fund of knowledge despite , again, that so many people told her not to do it, it was too expensive. 尽管有巨大的知识积累 但还是 有许多人告诉她不要去做, 因为它太昂贵了。
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
And the under-reading was women aren't worth it. 字里行间是说女性不值得。
She was like, "Nope. Sorry. Women are worth it." 她当时说,“不是,抱歉,女性是值得的。”
Well there was a little piece of that Women's Health Initiative that went to National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, which is the cardiology part of the NIH. 于是有一小部分的妇女健康倡议, 进入到国家心脏,肺和血液研究所 就是国家卫生研究院的心脏学部分。
cardiology:n.[内科]心脏病学;
And we got to do the WISE study -- and the WISE stands for Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation -- and I have chaired this study for the last 15 years. 我们去做的WISE研究-- WISE代表妇女缺血综合症评估-- 我已经主持这项研究达15年之久。
Ischemia:n.[内科]局部缺血; Evaluation:n.评价;[审计]评估;估价;求值;
It was a study to specifically ask, what's going on with women? 这个研究在明确地问, 妇女到底怎么了?
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
Why are more and more women dying of ischemic heart disease? 为什么越来越多的女性死于 缺铁性心脏病。
ischemic:adj.缺血性的;局部缺血的;
So in the WISE, 15 years ago, we started out and said, "Well wow, there's a couple of key observations and we should probably follow up on that." 15年前,在妇女缺血综合症评估里, 我们开始说,:“好哇,有几个关键的意见, 我们也许应该跟进观察。”
observations:n.观察,观察值;观察结果;(observation的复数形式);
And our colleagues in Washington, D.C. 在华盛顿特区,
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
had recently published that when women have heart attacks and die, compared to men who have heart attacks and die -- and again, this is millions of people, happening every day -- women, in their fatty plaque -- and this is their coronary artery , 我们的同行们最近发表文章, 把女性和男性 因心脏病致死做了比较-- 仍有成千上万的人 每天还在发生-- 女性在她们的脂肪斑块里 这是冠状动脉,
recently:adv.最近;新近; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) fatty:adj.脂肪的;肥胖的;多脂肪的;脂肪过多的;n.胖子; plaque:n.匾;血小板;饰板; coronary artery:n.冠状动脉;
so the main blood supply going into the heart muscle -- women erode , men explode . 主要的血液供应进到心脏肌肉时, 女性是受侵蚀式, 男性是爆炸式。
muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出; erode:vt.腐蚀,侵蚀;vi.侵蚀;受腐蚀; explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);
You're going to find some interesting analogies in this physiology . 你们会在生理学上找到些 有趣的相似。
analogies:n.类比;类推法; physiology:n.生理学;生理机能;
(Laughter) (笑)
So I'll describe the male-pattern heart attack first. 我先来描述一下男性模式的心脏病发作。
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
Hollywood heart attack. Ughhhh. 好莱坞式的心脏病发作。啊。。。
Horrible chest pain. 可怕的胸口痛。
Horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
EKG goes pbbrrhh, so the doctors can see this hugely abnormal EKG. 心电图一下子跳上去, 所以医生看到的是巨大的异常心电图。
abnormal:adj.反常的,不规则的;变态的;
There's a big clot in the middle of the artery. 动脉当中有一个大的血块。
clot:n.[生理]凝块;v.使凝结成块;凝结
And they go up to the cath lab and boom , boom , boom get rid of the clot. 他们去到心导管室, 嘭嘭嘭就把血块拿掉。
boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的;
That's a man heart attack. 那是男性的心脏病发作。
Some women have those heart attacks, but a whole bunch of women have this kind of heart attack, where it erodes , doesn't completely fill with clot, symptoms are subtle , 有些女性也是这样, 但很多的妇女的心脏病发作是, 动脉受到侵蚀 但没有完全被血块阻塞,症状不明显,
bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶; erodes:vt.腐蚀,侵蚀;vi.侵蚀;受腐蚀; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数) subtle:adj.微妙的;精细的;敏感的;狡猾的;稀薄的;
EKG findings are different -- female-pattern. 心电图也不一样-- 这就是女性模式。
findings:n.调查发现;判决;裁决;(finding的复数)
So what do you think happens to these gals ? 这些女性会怎么样呢?
gals:n.女孩儿们(gal的复数,等于girls);
They're often not recognized, sent home. 经常是,她们没被识别为心脏病发作,而被送回家。
I'm not sure what it was. Might have been gas. 我不清楚是什么。可能是内部有气体。
So we picked up on that and we said, "You know, we now have the ability to look inside human beings with these special catheters called IVUS: intravascular ultrasound ." 所以我们会注意到, 说,“我们现在有能力 用这些特殊的叫做IVUS的管道 来透视人体内部: 血管内超声检查。”
catheters:n.导尿管,尿液管(catheter的复数形式);医用导管; intravascular:adj.血管内的; ultrasound:n.超声;超音波;
And we said, "We're going to hypothesize that the fatty plaque in women is actually probably different, and deposited differently, than men." 我们说,“我们要假设 女性体内的脂肪斑块 与男性的不同, 并且存积方式也不同。”
deposited:v.存放;储存;放置(deposit的过去分词);adj.存放的;堆积的;
And because of the common knowledge of how women and men get fat. 根据男女 如何变胖的常识。
When we watch people become obese , where do men get fat? 当我们看到人发福, 男性胖在哪儿呢?
obese:adj.肥胖的,过胖的;
Right here, it's just a focal -- right there. 就在这,就一个焦点--这里。
focal:adj.焦点的,在焦点上的;灶的,病灶的;
Where do women get fat? 女性胖到哪儿呢?
All over. 全身都是。
Cellulite here, cellulite here. 这里一块赘肉,这里一团脂肪。
Cellulite:n.(胖女人臀腿部的)脂肪团;
So we said, "Look, women look like they're pretty good about putting kind of the garbage away, smoothly putting it away. 因此我们说:“看哪,女人们很会 把这些垃圾分散好, 分得很顺利。
garbage:n.垃圾;废物; smoothly:adv.平稳地,平滑地;流畅地,流利地;
Men just have to dump it in a single area." 男人只能倒进一个地方。”
dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆;
So we said, "Let's look at these." 我们说,“来看看这些。”
And so the yellow is the fatty plaque, and panel A is a man. 黄色是脂肪斑块, A组是男人。
panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
And you can see, it's lumpy bumpy . 你能看到,是波浪不平的。
lumpy:adj.粗笨的;波浪起伏的;多块状物的; bumpy:adj.颠簸的;崎岖不平的;
He's got a beer belly in his coronary arteries . 在他的冠状动脉里长了个啤酒肚。
beer belly:n.啤酒肚; arteries:n.[解剖]动脉(artery的复数);v.给…提供动脉(artery的单数第三人称);
Panel B is the woman, very smooth. B组是女性,非常平滑。
She's just laid it down nice and tidy . 她把它摆得整洁漂亮。
tidy:adj.整齐的:整洁的:v.使整洁:
(Laughter) (笑)
And if you did that angiogram , which is the red, you can see the man's disease. 如果你做过血管造影, 就是这个红色, 你可以看到男性的疾病。
angiogram:n.[特医]血管造影片;
So 50 years of honing and crafting these angiograms , we easily recognize male-pattern disease. 经过50年的 磨练和制作这些血管造影, 我们很容易认出 男性模式的疾病。
honing:v.磨练,训练;磨(刀);(hone的现在分词) crafting:n.工艺;手工艺;v.精巧地制作;加工制作(craft的ing形式); angiograms:n.[特医]血管造影片;
Kind of hard to see that female-pattern disease. 但难于看到女性模式的疾病。
So that was a discovery. 所以,才有了个发现。
Now what are the implications of that? 言外之意是什么呢?
implications:n.蕴涵式;暗指,暗示;含蓄,含意;卷入(implication的复数);
Well once again, women get the angiogram and nobody can tell that they have a problem. 就是,女性也做血管造影片, 但没有人能告诉她们有问题。
So we are working now on a non-invasive -- again, these are all invasive studies. 我们在着手于一个非侵略性的研究,-- 事实上,这些研究都是侵略性的。
non-invasive:adj.非侵入性的;非入侵的;
Ideally you would love to do all this non-invasively . 最理想的是,你会想用非侵入法来做这些研究。
Ideally:adv.理想地;观念上地; non-invasively:重复性,无创性;
And again, 50 years of good non-invasive stress testing, we're pretty good at recognizing male-pattern disease with stress tests. 再重复一遍,五十年的 很好的非侵入的压力测试, 我们很在行从这些测试中认出 男性模式的疾病。
recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词)
So this is cardiac magnetic resonance imaging . 这就是心脏磁共振成像。
magnetic:adj.像磁铁的;有磁性的;磁的;富有吸引力的; resonance:n.[力]共振;共鸣;反响; imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式)
We're doing this at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in the Women's Heart Center. 我们在妇女心脏中心的雪松西奈山心脏中心 做这些研究。
We selected this for the research. 我们为这项研究做了选择。
This is not in your community hospital, but we would hope to translate this. 这虽然不是你的社区医院, 我们希望能传递相同的信息。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
And we're about two and a half years into a five-year study. 我们为期5年的研究 已进行了一半。
This was the only modality that can see the inner lining of the heart. 这是能看到心脏内膜的 唯一模式。
modality:n.形式,形态;程序;物理疗法;主要的感觉; inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
And if you look carefully, you can see that there's a black blush right there. 如果你仔细看, 会看到这里有个黑黑的血块。
blush:v.脸红;涨红了脸;尴尬;n.面部泛起的红晕
And that is microvascular obstruction . 那就是微血管阻塞。
microvascular:adj.微脉管的; obstruction:n.障碍;阻碍;妨碍;
The syndrome, the female-pattern now is called microvascular coronary dysfunction , or obstruction. 这种女性模式的症状 就叫做冠状动脉微血管功能障碍或阻塞。
dysfunction:n.功能紊乱;机能障碍;官能不良;vi.功能失调;出现机能障碍;垮掉;
The second reason we really liked MRI is that there's no radiation . 我们喜欢核磁共振成像的第二个原因 是它没有辐射。
radiation:n.辐射;放射线;放射疗法;
So unlike the CAT scans, X-rays, thalliums, for women whose breast is in the way of looking at the heart, every time we order something that has even a small amount of radiation, we say, "Do we really need that test?" 不像计算机辅助测试扫描,X光片,铊扫描等 因为女性 每次做心脏测试 都会考虑对乳房的影响, 哪怕小数量的辐射, 我们也会说:“真有做这个测试的必要吗?”
in the way of:妨碍;关于…方面;
So we're very excited about M.R. 我们对核磁共振非常兴奋。
You can't go and order it yet, but this is an area of active inquiry where actually studying women is going to advance the field for women and men. 你们还不能现在就去使用它, 但这是个积极探究的领域, 对女性的研究 将推进男性和女性的领域。
inquiry:n.询问;查询;打听;调查;
What are the downstream consequences then, when female-pattern heart disease is not recognized? 女性模式心脏病的 未被识别的后果 是如何呢?
downstream:adv.下游地;顺流而下;adj.下游的;顺流的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
This is a figure from an editorial that I published in the European Heart Journal this last summer. 这个数据 是从我去年发表在 欧洲心脏杂志上的一片社论来的。
And it was just a pictogram to sort of show why more women are dying of heart disease, despite these good treatments that we know and we have work. 这个象形图 显示, 尽管我们知道 很多的有效的治疗法, 为什么还有更多的女性死于心脏病。
pictogram:n.[数]象形图; treatments:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;(treatment的复数)
And when the woman has male-pattern disease -- so she looks like Barbara in the movie -- they get treated. 当女性出现 男性模式的病症-- 就像电影里的芭芭拉一样, 她们才会得到医治。
And when you have female-pattern and you look like a woman, as Barbara does here with her husband, they don't get the treatment. 当你有女性模式的症状,但你看上去也是女性 就像芭芭拉和她丈夫, 他们就得不到医治。
These are our life-saving treatments. 这些都是挽救生命的疗法。
life-saving:n.救生;adj.救生的;
And those little red boxes are deaths. 这些小红框子是死亡的。
So those are the consequences. 这些是后果。
And that is female-pattern and why we think the Yentl syndrome actually is explaining a lot of these gaps . 那个是女性模式, 并且我们认为燕特尔综合症 也确实解释了 这些差距。
gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式);
There's been wonderful news also about studying women, finally , in heart disease. 对于研究女性方面 有很多好消息, 最后终于轮到心脏病了。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
And one of the the cutting-edge areas that we're just incredibly excited about is stem cell therapy. 还有一个 让我们异常兴奋的前沿领域 是干细胞疗法。
cutting-edge:n.(刀片的)刃口;尖端;前沿;adj.先进的,尖端的; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; stem cell:干细胞;
If you ask, what is the big difference between women and men physiologically ? 如果你问,在生理上 女性与男性的大的不同之处在哪?
physiologically:adv.生理学方面;
Why are there women and men? 为什么会有女性和男性?
Because women bring new life into the world. 因为女性把新生命带到世上。
That's all stem cells. 这全是干细胞。
So we hypothesized that female stem cells might be better at identifying the injury , doing some cellular repair or even producing new organs , which is one of the things that we're trying to do with stem cell therapy. 我们假定 女性干细胞会很好地 鉴别损伤, 做些细胞修补 或产生新的器官, 这就是我们正在尝试 用干细胞疗法做到的。
identifying:n.识别,标识;标识关系;v.识别;(identify的现在分词) injury:n.伤害,损害;受伤处; cellular:adj.细胞的;多孔的;由细胞组成的;n.移动电话;单元; repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
These are female and male stem cells. 这就是女性和男性干细胞。
And if you had an injured organ, if you had a heart attack and we wanted to repair that injured area, do you want those robust , plentiful stem cells on the top? 如果你的器官受损, 或你心脏病发作, 我们想修复受伤的地方, 你想不想最先用 这些强健又足够的干细胞?
injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员; robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; plentiful:adj.丰富的;许多的;丰饶的;
Or do you want these guys, that look like they're out to lunch ? 或者,你想他们 这样无精打采呢?
out to lunch:疯狂的;神志不清的;过时的;懒散的;
(Laughter) (笑)
And some of our investigative teams have demonstrated that female stem cells -- and this is in animals and increasingly we're showing this in humans -- that female stem cells, when put even into a male body, do better than male stem cells going into a male body. 我们的一些调查团队 曾展示 女性干细胞-- 这是动物的 并且在人类也有增长- 就是当我们把女性干细胞 注入男性体内, 它们比男性干细胞 工作得更好。
investigative:adj.研究的;调查的;好调查的; demonstrated:v.证明;证实;论证;说明;表达;(demonstrate的过去分词和过去式) increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地;
One of the things that we say about all of this female physiology -- because again, as much as we're talking about women and heart disease, women do, on average, have better longevity than men -- is that unfolding the secrets of female physiology and understanding that is going to help men and women. 我们讲的 女性生理之一 因为我们在谈论女性与心脏病, 通常女性 比男性长寿。 揭示和认识女性的 生理秘密 将会帮助男性和女性。
longevity:n.长寿,长命;寿命; unfolding:v.(使)展开;打开;展示;透露;(unfold的现在分词)
So this is not a zero-sum game in anyway. 这不是零合的游戏。
zero-sum game:零和博奕;
Okay, so here's where we started. 好,我们从这里开始。
And remember, paths crossed in 1984, and more and more women were dying of cardiovascular disease. 请记住,交叉点是在1984年, 越来越多的女性 死于心脏病。
What has happened in the last 15 years with this work? 在过去的15年里都做了些什么?
We are bending the curve . 这个曲线在打弯。
curve:n.曲线;弯曲;曲面;弧线;v.(使)沿曲线移动;呈曲线形;
We're bending the curve. 我们在折弯这条曲线。
So just like the breast cancer story, doing research, getting awareness going, it works, you just have to get it going. 就像乳腺癌的故事, 做些调查,让更多人认识到, 它管用的,我们必须继续做下去。
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
Now are we happy with this? 现在我们满意吗?
We still have two to three more women dying for every man. 女性的死亡率仍是男性的两到三倍。
And I would propose , with the better longevity that women have overall , that women probably should theoretically do better, if we could just get treated. 那我提议, 总的来说 女性比较长寿, 如果我们女性得到医治, 理论上我们的情况会更好。
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算; overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的; theoretically:adv.理论地;理论上;
So this is where we are, but we have a long row to hoe . 所以这是我们现在的状况, 更艰巨的在后头。
hoe:vt.锄,用锄头;vi.用锄耕地;n.锄头;
We've worked on this for 15 years. 我们已经工作了15年。
And I've told you, we've been working on male-pattern heart disease for 50 years. 我也说过,我们在男性心脏病上 已花了50年的时间。
So we're 35 years behind. 我们落后了35年。
And we'd like to think it's not going to take 35 years. 我们愿意相信,不用再花35年的时间。
And in fact, it probably won't. 事实上也许不会。
But we cannot stop now. 现在不能停步。
Too many lives are at stake . 太多生命处于危险。
stake:n.桩,棍子;赌注;火刑;奖金;v.资助,支持;系…于桩上;把…押下打赌;
So what do we need to do? 我们需要做什么?
You now, hopefully, have a more personal relationship with your heart. 希望大家跟你的心脏有个 更好的个人关系。
Women have heard the call for breast cancer and they have come out for awareness campaigns. 女性听到了 乳腺癌的呼声, 大家就出来 做宣传活动。
The women are very good about getting mammograms now. 女性都知道做乳房X线照片。
mammograms:n.乳房X线照片;
And women do fundraising . 女性做筹款活动。
fundraising:n.筹款;募捐;
Women participate . 女性积极参与。
participate:v.参加;参与;
They have put their money where their mouth is and they have done advocacy and they have joined campaigns. 她们省吃俭用 她们参加宣传,她们参加各种活动。
advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护;
This is what we need to do with heart disease now. 我们对于心脏病也要这样做。
And it's political. 这是政治。
Women's health, from a federal funding standpoint , sometimes it's popular, sometimes it's not so popular. 从联邦资金的角度看, 女性健康有时是受重视, 有时不受重视。
federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) standpoint:n.立场;观点;
So we have these feast and famine cycles. 这就我们有盛宴和饥荒的循环。
feast:n.盛宴;宴会;(宗教的)节日;v.尽情享用(美味佳肴); famine:n.饥荒;
So I implore you to join the Red Dress Campaign in this fundraising. 我恳求大家 去参加红衣活动 的筹款。
implore:vt.恳求或乞求;vi.恳求或乞求;
Breast cancer, as we said, kills women, but heart disease kills a whole bunch more. 我们说乳腺癌 害死妇女, 但心脏病害死更多。
So if we can be as good as breast cancer and give women this new charge, we have a lot of lives to save. 所以,如果我们能做得像乳腺癌那样好, 给女性新的任务, 我们会拯救很多生命。
So thank you for your attention. 谢谢您的关注。
(Applause) (掌声)