返回首页

NielsDiffrient_2002-_重新思考我们坐的方式_

When I was five years old 当我五岁的时候
I fell in love with airplanes . 我爱上了飞机
airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数);
Now I'm talking about the '30s. 现在我要谈谈三十年代。
In the '30s an airplane had two wings and a round motor. 在三十年代,飞机有两个翅膀 和一个圆形发动机
And was always flown by a guy who looked like Cary Grant . 并且总是由 一名酷似加里.格兰特的家伙驾驶着飞行。
Grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
He had high leather boots, jodhpurs , an old leather jacket, a wonderful helmet and those marvelous goggles -- and inevitably a white scarf to flow in the wind . 他穿着高筒的皮靴, 马裤,一件旧皮衣, 一个令人惊叹的头盔 和一副非凡的护目镜-- 还有一条不可或缺的白围巾 飘荡在风中。
leather:n.皮革;皮革制品;v.用皮革包盖;抽打;adj.皮的;皮革制的; jodhpurs:n.短马靴;骑马裤(jodhpur的复数形式); marvelous:adj.了不起的;非凡的;令人惊异的;不平常的; goggles:n.护目镜;风镜;游泳镜;v.瞪大眼睛看;(goggle的第三人称单数和复数) inevitably:adv.不可避免地;必然地; in the wind:即将发生;在进行;
He'd always walk up to his airplane in a kind of saunter , devil may care saunter , flick the cigarette away, grab the girl waiting here, give her a kiss. 他总是踱着悠闲的步子 走向他的飞机 满不在乎的漫步着, 把香烟弹向一边, 抓住等在那儿的女孩儿,给她深深的一吻。
saunter:n.漫步;闲逛;vi.闲逛;漫步; devil:n.魔鬼;撒旦;家伙;恶棍;淘气鬼;冒失鬼;v.虐待,折磨;扯碎;做助手; flick:v.轻弹;忽然摇动;轻轻拂去;n.弹开;快速的轻打;轻打声; grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And then mount his airplane, maybe for the last time. 然后登上他的飞机, 也许是最后一次。
mount:n.山;坐骑;山峰;衬纸板;v.登上;爬上;攀登;准备;
Of course I always wondered what would happen if he'd kissed the airplane first. 当然,我总是好奇如果他先吻了飞机 会发生什么。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But this was real romance to me. 但这对我来说非常浪漫。
romance:n.爱情;恋爱;风流韵事;传奇故事;
Everything about flying in those years, which was -- I have to stop and think for a moment -- was probably the most advanced technological thing going on at the time. 在那些年里,关于飞行的一切, --我不得不停下来,怀念一下那个时刻-- 也许是那时 最先进的技术。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) technological:adj.技术[工程](上)的;因工艺技术高度发展而引起的;
So as a youngster 所以作为一个年轻人
youngster:n.年轻人;少年;
I tried to get close to this by drawing airplanes, constantly drawing airplanes. 我试图通过画飞机 来接近它, 不断的画。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
It's the way I got a part of this romance. 这就是我所得到的 浪漫的一部分。
And of course, in a way, when I say romance, 当然在某种程度上,当我说浪漫的时候,
I mean in part the aesthetics of that whole situation. 我的意思是 全局中的美学部分。
aesthetics:n.美学;美的哲学;
I think the word is the holistic experience revolving around a product. 我认为这个词是 围绕着一个产品的整体感受。
holistic:adj.整体的;全盘的; revolving:adj.旋转的;v.旋转;环绕;转动;(revolve的现在分词)
The product was that airplane. 这个产品就是飞机。
But it built a romance. 但它本身就富含浪漫色彩。
Even the parts of the airplane had French names. 甚至是飞机部件 都有法语名。
The fuselage , the empanage, the nessal'. 机身,机尾,
fuselage:n.[航]机身(飞机);
You know, from a romance language. 你知道,这是一门浪漫的语言。
So that it was something that just got into your spirit. 所以它就是恰恰能进入灵魂的事物。
It did mine. 它进入了我的灵魂。
And I decided I had to get closer than just drawing fantasy airplanes. 接着,我决定我要比仅仅画想象中的飞机 更进一步。
fantasy:n.幻想; adj.虚幻的; v.空想;
I wanted to build airplanes. 我想制造飞机。
So I built model airplanes. 所以我开始做飞机模型。
And I found that in doing the model airplanes the appearance drawings were not enough. 然后我发现做飞机模型 只画外观是不够的。
appearance:n.外貌;外观;外表;
You couldn't transfer those to the model itself. 无法把它们变成 模型。
transfer:n.转移;调任;调离;[体]转会球员;v.调任;调走;转学;转移;
If you wanted it to fly you had to learn the discipline of flying. 如果想让它能够飞行 你必须学习飞行的 准则。
discipline:n.纪律;训练;自制力;风纪;v.训练;管教;惩罚;处罚;
You had to learn about aeronautics . 你必须学习航空学。
aeronautics:n.航空学;飞行术;
You had to learn what made an airplane stay in the air. 你必须学习是什么使得飞机 能够在空中飞行。
And of course as a model, in those years, you couldn't control it. 当然,在那个年代,你无法去控制一个模型。
So it had to be self-righting, and stay up without crashing. 所以它必须能自我调整, 并且保持飞行不坠机。
So I had to give up the approach of drawing the fantasy shapes, and convert it to technical drawings. 因此,我不得不放弃 绘制 幻想中的形状 转而绘制技术图纸。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; convert:v.转换; n.改变宗教(或信仰、观点)的人; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
The shape of the wing, the shape of the fuselage and so on. 机翅的形状,机身的形状,等等等等。
And build an airplane over these drawings that I knew followed some of the principles of flying. 并在这些 遵循了一定飞行原则的图纸基础上 制作一架飞机模型。
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
And in so doing, I could produce a model that would fly, stay in the air. 在做了这些之后,我就能够做出 一个能够在空中飞行的飞机模型。
And it had, once it was in the air, some of this romance that I was in love with. 一旦它在空中飞行,它就拥有了 部分我所钟爱的这种浪漫。
Well the act of drawing airplanes led me to, when I had the opportunity to choose a course in school, led me to sign up for aeronautical engineering . 嗯,绘制飞机的行为 引导着我 当我有机会在 学校选择一门课程时, 引导着我选择了航空工程。
aeronautical:adj.航空的;航空学的;飞机驾驶员的(等于aeronautic); engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词)
And when I was sitting in classes, in which no one asked me to draw an airplane, to my surprise. 当我坐在课堂里时, 让我惊讶的是, 没人叫我绘制一架飞机。
I had to learn mathematics and mechanics and all this sort of thing. 我不得不学习数学和力学 还有所有这类的课程。
mathematics:n.数学;数学运算; mechanics:n.机械师;机械修理工;技工;力学;机械学;(mechanic的复数)
I'd wile away my time drawing airplanes in the class. 我在课堂上画飞机 来消磨时间.
wile:v.欺骗,诱骗;消遣;n.诡计,阴谋;
One day a young man looked over my shoulder, he said, "You draw very well. 一天,一名年轻人从我肩膀上看了看, 他说,“你画的真不错”。
You should be in the art department." “你应该去艺术系”。
And I said, "Why?" 我说,“为什么?”
He said, "Well for one thing , there are more girls there." 他说道,“嗯,一个原因,那儿有更多的女孩儿”。
for one thing:首先;一则;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So my romance was temporarily shifted . 因此我的浪漫暂时转移了。
temporarily:adv.临时地,临时; shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词);
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I went in to art because they appreciated drawing. 我进入了艺术系 因为他们欣赏绘画。
appreciated:v.欣赏;感激;理解;(appreciate的过去分词和过去式)
Studied painting. Didn't do very well at that. 学习绘画。在那儿做的不是很好。
Went through design, some architecture . 学习了设计, 一些建筑设计。
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
Eventually hired myself out as a designer. 终于,我成了一名设计师。
Eventually:adv.最后,终于;
And for the following 25 years, living in Italy, living in America, 而后的25年, 我生活在意大利, 生活在美国,
I doled out a piece of this romance to anybody who'd pay for it. 我向任何愿意为之付钱的人 分发一份这种浪漫。
doled:v.发放救济;以小份发给;(dole的过去分词和过去式)
This sense, this aesthetic feeling, for the experience revolving around a designed object. 这种感觉,这种美学的感知, 由一个良好设计的物体 而引发的体验。
It exists. 是存在的.
Any of you who rode the automobiles -- was it yesterday? -- at the track , you know the romance revolving around those high performance cars. 你们中的任何人在路上开着汽车 也许就在昨天 你了解这种围绕着 这些高性能的汽车的浪漫。
automobiles:n.[车辆]汽车,发动器(automobile复数);关于汽车; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
Well in 25 years 嗯,在25年里
I was mostly putting out pieces of this romance and not getting a lot back in because design on call doesn't always connect you with a circumstance in which you can produce things of this nature. 我主要把这种浪漫 分发出去 而没有从其中收获多少 因为这种设计 并不总是能将你和某种环境联系起来, 并使得你能在其中生产出它本质的东西。
circumstance:n.环境,情况;事件;境遇;
So after 25 years I began to feel as though I was running dry. 因此,25年后我开始感觉到 我的才思枯竭了。
And I quit . 然后我退出了。
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的;
And I started up a very small operation -- went from 40 people to one in an effort to rediscover my innocence . 接着,我开始了一项很小的行动-- 从40人(的团队) 到我一个人 努力去重新发现我的纯真。
rediscover:vt.重新发现;再发现; innocence:n.清白,无罪;天真无邪;
I wanted to get back where the romance was. 我想回到 浪漫存在的地方。
I couldn't choose airplanes because they had gotten sort of unromantic at that point. 我不能选择飞机 因为在这一点上,他们有某种 非浪漫的东西。
unromantic:adj.平淡无奇的;
Even though I'd done a lot of airplane work, on the interiors . 即使我做了很多与 飞机内饰相关的工作。
interiors:n.内部(interior的复数形式);
So I chose furniture . 所以我选择了家具。
furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
And I chose chairs specifically because I knew something about them. 接着我又特意选择了椅子 因为我对它们有些了解。
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
I'd designed a lot of chairs, over the years for tractors and trucks and submarines . 历年来,我设计了很多椅子 为拖拉机和卡车 以及潜艇。
submarines:n.潜艇;(submarine的第三人称单数和复数)
All kinds of things. 设计了各种类型的椅子。
But not office chairs. 但不包括办公椅。
So I started doing that. 因此,我开始设计办公椅。
And I found that there were ways to duplicate the same approach that I used to use on the airplane. 我发现许多方法都能 达到同样的目的, 正如我曾经用在飞机上的。
duplicate:v.复制;使加倍;n.副本;复制品;adj.复制的;二重的;
Only this time instead of the product being shaped by the wind, it was shaped by the human body. 只是这次 不是由风来决定产品的形状, 而是由人体来决定。
So the discipline was, as in the airplane you learn a lot about how to deal with the air, for a chair you have to learn a lot about how to deal with the body. 所以准则就是, 在飞机里学会了许多关于 如何对付空气, 为了一把椅子 你不得不学习如何 对待人体。
And what the body needs, wants indicates it needs. 人体需要什么, 欲望说明了它的需要。
indicates:v.表明指示,显示;(indicate的第三人称单数)
And that's the way, ultimately after some ups and downs , 这就是方法, 最终经过一些波折和起伏,
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; ups and downs:n.沉浮;盛衰;高低;
I ended up designing the chair I'm going to show you. 我完成了我将要呈现给你们的椅子的设计。
I should say one more thing, when I was doing those model airplanes, 我还要再说一件事,当我做那些 飞机模型时,
I did everything. 我做了一切。
I conceived the kind of airplane. 我构思了飞机的类型。
conceived:v.构思;设想;(conceive的过去式);
I basically engineered it. 基本上是我设计了它。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
I built it. 我制造了它。
And I flew it. 然后我让它飞了起来。
And that's the way I work now. 这就是我现在工作的方式。
When I started this chair it was not a preconceived notion . 当我开始做这把椅子时 没有一个先入为主的概念。
preconceived:adj.预想的; v.预想(preconceive的过去式和过去分词); notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
Design nowadays, if you mean it, you don't start with styling sketches . 现在的设计,如果你认真的话, 你不会从造型草图开始.
sketches:n.[测]草图; v.素描,写生(sketch的第三人称单数);
I started with a lot of loose ideas. 我是从许多松散的想法开始。
loose:adj.宽松的; v.释放; v.松散地; n.放纵;
Roughly eight or nine years ago. 大致八年或九年之前。
Roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
And the loose ideas had something to with what I knew happened with people in the office. 这些松散的想法开始成型, 我知道在办公室里的人身上 都会发生什么事。
At work place, people who worked, and used task seating, a great many of them sitting in front of a computer all day long . 在办公场所, 在那儿工作的人们 使用电脑椅, 很多人整天都 坐在电脑前面。
a great many of:许多;大量; all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
And I felt, the one thing they don't need, is a chair that interferes with their main reason for sitting there. 我觉得, 他们不需要的东西, 就是一把干扰他们工作 的椅子。
interferes:n.干涉(interfere的复数形式); v.妨碍;
So I took the approach that the chair should do as much for them as humanly possible or as mechanistically possible so that they didn't have to fuss with it. 因此,我要做一把这样的椅子: 这把椅子应该尽可能的 人性化 或者尽可能的机械化 以使得他们不会为它所困扰。
humanly:adv.以人力;像人地;在人力所能及的范围; mechanistically:机械地; fuss:n.大惊小怪; v.瞎忙一气; (为小事)烦恼;
So my idea was that instead of sitting down and reaching for a lot of controls, that you would sit on the chair, and it would automatically balance your weight against the force required to recline . 这样,我的想法就是: 不是让人坐下然后能够着 许多控制机关, 而是让人能做在椅子中时, 它能够自动的平衡你的体重, 对抗使人倾斜 的力。
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; recline:vi.靠;依赖;斜倚;vt.使躺下;使斜倚;
Now that may not mean a lot to some of you. 现在这也许你们中有些些人并不理解。
But you know most good chairs do recline because it's beneficial to open up this joint between your legs and your upper body for better breathing and better flow. 但是你知道许多好的椅子会倾斜 因为这有助于伸展你的 腿和上身之间的关节, 以便能更好的呼吸 和更好的血液循环。
beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的; joint:n.关节; adj.共同的; v.连接,贴合; upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂;
So that if you sit down on my chair, whether you're five feet tall, or six foot six, it always deals with your weight and transfers the amount of force required to recline in a way that you don't have to look for something to adjust . 如果你坐在 我的椅子上, 不管你是五英尺 还是六英尺高, 它会根据你的体重 得出倾斜需要的力 的大小 这样你就不需要去 找些东西来进行调节了。
transfers:n.[电子][计]传输(tansfer的复数); v.[计]转移; adjust:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯;
I'll tell you right up front, this is a trade off. 我先告诉你们, 这是种妥协。
There are drawbacks to this. 这种方式有些缺点。
drawbacks:n.缺点;退税(drawback的复数);
One is you can't accommodate everybody. 一是,你不能 适应每一个人。
accommodate:vt.容纳;使适应;供应;调解;vi.适应;调解;
There are some very light people. 有些体重很轻的人.
very light:n.(船上发出的)求援信号弹;
Some extremely heavy people. 也有些极重的人.
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
Maybe people with a lot of bulk up top. 也许有些人上半身庞大。
bulk:n.大部分;主体;(大)体积;大(量);v.扩展;增大;堆积起来;形成大块;
They begin to fall off the end of your chart. 他们坐着会向下滑落。
But the compromise , I felt, was in my favor because most people don't adjust their chairs. 但是这种妥协,我感觉, 是有益的, 因为多数人并不去调节他们的椅子。
compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险;
They will sit in them forever. 他们就一直那么坐着。
I had somebody on the bus out to the racetrack tell me about his sister calling him. 我在去赛车场的公交车上碰到过一个人, 他告诉我他的姐姐告诉过他。
racetrack:n.跑道;赛马场;
He said she had one of the new better chairs. 他说,她有了一个新的更好的椅子。
She said, "Oh I love it." 她说,“哦,我喜欢这把椅子。”
She said, "But it's too high." 她说,“但是它太高了。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
So he said, "Well I'll come over and look at it." 所以,他说道,“嗯,我去你那儿看看你的那把椅子。”
He came over and looked at it. 他来了,看了那把椅子。
He reached down. He pulled a lever . And the chair sank down. 他俯下身。拉了拉操作杆。然后这把椅子就降下去了。
lever:n.杠杆;控制杆;v.用杠杆撬动;把…作为杠杆;
She said, "Oh it's wonderful. How did you do that?" 她说道,“哦,这太好了。你是怎么做的?”
And he showed her the lever. 他把操作杆指给她看。
Well, that's typical of a lot of us working in chairs. 是的,这是典型的 我们工作中用的椅子。
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
And why should you get a 20 page manual about how to run a chair. 然而为什么你要通过 看一本20页的手册来 学习如何使用一把椅子。
manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I had one for a wristwatch once. 20 pages. 我曾有块手表。20页的手册。
wristwatch:n.手表;
Anyway, I felt that it was important that you didn't have to make an adjustment in order to get this kind of action. 不管怎么说,我觉得这很重要 当你想要进行这类活动时,不需要去 调节就能做到。
adjustment:n.调整,调节;调节器;
The other thing I felt was that armrests had never really been properly approached . 另一件事,我觉得扶手 从来都没被适当的使用过。
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式)
From the standpoint of how much of how much of an aide they could be to your work life. 从扶手能给在你的工作生活 中给予你多少帮助的 角度来说。
standpoint:n.立场;观点;
But I felt it was too much to ask to have to adjust each individual arm rest in order to get it where you wanted. 但我觉得让人把 每个独立的扶手调节至 想要的位置有点要求过多了。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
So I spent a long time. 因此我花了很长时间。
I said I worked on eight or nine years on it. 我是说,我在这上工作了八九年。
And each of these things went along sort of in parallel but incrementally were a problem of their own. 这些事情都在 并行的进行着。 但同时也增加了一些问题。
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); incrementally:adv.递增地;增值地;
I worked a long time on figuring out how to move the arms over a much greater arc, that is up and down, and make them a lot easier so that you didn't have to use a button. 我工作了很长时间才明白 如何把扶手椅移动成一个很大的角度, 这样上下移动, 让它们更容易移动 所以不需要去按一个按钮。
And so after many trials, many failures, we came up with a very simple arrangement in which we could just move one arm or the other. 经过了许多实验和失败, 我们提出了一个非常简单的改装, 我们仅仅是移动了 一条胳膊。
arrangement:n.安排;筹备;布置;商定;约定;改编乐曲;
And they go up easily. 它们就很容易的升起来了。
And stop where you want. 然后把它们停在你想要的位置。
You can put them down, essentially out of the way. 你能把它们放下来,实际上。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
No arms at all. 根本不需要动手。
Or you can pull them up where you want them. 或者你能在需要的时候把它们升起来。
And this was another thing that I felt. 这是我所感觉到的另一件事。
While not nearly as romantic as Cary Grant, nevertheless begins to grab a little bit of aesthetic, operation aesthetic performance, into a product. 虽然不像 加里·格兰特那样浪漫, 然而已经开始 抓住点儿美感了, 操作的美感上的表现, 在这个产品里。
nevertheless:adv.然而,不过;虽然如此;conj.然而,不过;
The next area that was of interest to me, was the fact that reclining was a very important factor . 另一个我感兴趣的领域, 是这样一个事实, 倾斜是个非常重要的因素。
reclining:n.倾斜;v.斜倚;依赖(recline的ing形式);adj.倾斜的; factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
And the more you can recline, in a way, the better it is. 并且,你能够倾斜的越多, 在某种程度上,就越舒服。
The more the angle between here and here opens up, and nowadays with a screen in front of you, you don't want to have your eye drop too far in the recline. 这儿跟这儿之间的角度变得越大, 在你面前成为一个平面, 你不会想在倾斜时让你的眼睛降得太厉害了。
So we keep it at more or less the same level but you transfer weight off your tailbones. 所以我们让它或多或少的保持同一水平。 但这样你就可以把体重从 尾椎骨转移走了。
more or less:或多或少;
Would everybody put their hand under their bottom and feel their tailbone . 每个人都能伸手从后面 够着自己的尾椎骨么?
tailbone:n.尾椎骨;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You feel that bone under there? 你感觉到那块骨头在那下面?
(Laughter) (笑声)
Just your own. 只有你自己。
(Laughter) (笑声)
There is two of them. One on either side. 一共有两块,一边一块。
All the weight of your upper torso , your arms, your head, goes right down through your back, your spine , into those bones when you sit. 当你坐下的时候,你上半身的所有重量, 手臂,头部, 通过的你后背, 脊柱,直到那些骨头。
torso:n.躯干;裸体躯干雕像;未完成的作品;残缺不全的东西; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
And that's a lot of load. 这是一个很大的负荷。
Just relieving your arms with armrests takes 20 percent of that load off. 仅仅是用扶手来舒缓你的手臂, 就能减少百分之二十的负荷。
relieving:v.解除,减轻,缓和(不快或痛苦);调剂;使有趣;(relieve的现在分词)
Now that, if your spine is not held in a good position, will help bend your spine the wrong way, and so on. 而且,如果你的不在脊椎合适的位置上, 这将会使你的脊椎以错误的方式弯曲,等等。
So to unload that great weight, if that indeed exists, you can recline. 所以为了卸下 这巨大的重量, 如果真的存在的话, 你可以斜倚着。
unload:v.脱手;(从车、船上)卸;退出;推卸(责任);
When you recline you take away a lot of that load off your bottom end, and transfer it to your back. 当你斜靠着的时候,你能从底部释放掉许多负荷, 并把它们转移到你的背上。
At the same time , as I say, you open up this joint. 与此同时,正如我所说,你舒展了这个关节。
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
And breathability is good. 并且透气性很好。
But to do that, if you have any amount of recline, it gets to the point where you need a headrest because nearly always, automatically hold your head in a vertical position, see? 但是为了做到这一点,需要 一定的倾斜, 这使得在某一点需要一个靠头之物 因为 在一个垂直的位置自动地 支撑你的头部,明白么?
headrest:n.头靠,弹性头垫;靠头之物; vertical:n.垂直线;垂直位置;adj.竖的;垂直的;直立的;纵向的;
As I recline, my head says more or less vertical. 当我倾斜的时候,我的头部能表示出垂直度的多少。
And if you're reclined a great deal, you have to use muscle force to hold your head there. 并且,如果你倾斜的比较厉害, 就需要用肌肉的力量 来支撑头部
reclined:v.下曲的;下弯的(recline的过去式); muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
So that's where a headrest comes in. 这就是为什么在这儿需要个靠头之物了。
Now headrest is a challenge because you want it to adjust enough so that it will fit, you know, a tall guy and a short girl. 现在,这个靠头之物是个挑战 因为你想能对它进行 充分的调整,以适应 一个高个的家伙或是一位小巧的女孩。
So here we are. 那么,让我们来看看。
I've got five inches of adjustment here in order to get the headrest in the right place. 我在这儿留了五英寸的调节空间, 以便于能为头靠找个合适的位置。
But then I knew from experience and looking around in offices where there were chairs with headrests, that nobody would ever bother to reach back and turn a knob and adjust the headrest to put it in position. 但是当我从经验中得知, 并对办公室中 有头靠的办公椅进行了调查后发现 没人愿意把手 伸到背后去拧一个把手 来调节头靠的位置。
bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼; knob:n.把手;瘤;球形突出物;vi.鼓起;vt.使有球形突出物;
And you need it in a different position when you're upright , then when you're reclined. 而且当你从坐直变为倾斜时, 需要把它换个位置。
upright:n.立柱;adj.直立的;挺直的;竖直的;垂直的;adv.竖立着;垂直着;
So I knew that had to be solved, and had to be automatic. 所以我意识到这个问题必须解决,而且必须是自动化的。
So if you watch this chair as I recline, the headrest comes up to meet my neck. 如果你看看这把椅子, 当我倾斜时,头靠会升起来 迎合我的脖子。
Ideally you want to put the head support in the cranial area, right there. 理想情况下,你希望头靠在 颅骨的区域,就在这儿。
Ideally:adv.理想地;观念上地; cranial:adj.头盖的;
So that part of it took a long time to work out. 为解决这个问题 花了不少时间。
And there is a variety of other things, the shape of the cushions . 还有许多其他的部分,椅垫的形状。
variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; cushions:n.软垫; v.起缓冲作用;
The gel we put, we stole the idea from bicycle seats, and put gel in the cushions and in the armrests to absorb point load -- distributes the loading so you don't get hard spots. 我们放入了凝胶, 这是我们从自行车座学来的一个主意, 把凝胶放入椅垫和 扶手中 来吸收点负荷-- 这分散了负荷,所以你不会感觉到硬点。
gel:vi.胶化;n.[物化]凝胶,胶体; absorb:v.吸收;使并入;吞并;同化;理解;吸收;耗费;承受; distributes:vt.分配;散布;分开;把…分类;
You cant hit your elbow on bottom. 你能用肘来 按按钮。
cant:n.斜面; vi.倾斜; vt.把…棱角去掉; adj.行话的; elbow:n.肘;弯头;肘状物;v.用肘推;挤进;讨价还价;
And I did want to demonstrate the fact that the chair can accommodate people. 我想为你们演示一下 这把椅子能因人而调节。
demonstrate:vt.证明;展示;论证;vi.示威;
While you're sitting in it you can adjust it down for the five footer , or you can adjust it for the six foot six guy. 当坐在它上面时,你能向下 调整五英尺, 或者它能调整以适应 6英尺6英寸高家伙。
footer:n.页脚;懒散地工作;懒散工作的人;的缩写;以英尺标注高度的人或物;
All within the scope of a few simple adjustments . 所有这些调整只需要在很小的范围内进行。
scope:n.能力; v.仔细看; adjustments:n.调整;调节;调整,适应;(adjustment的复数)
(Applause) (掌声)