返回首页

NeilTurok_2008-_教授的ted获奖愿望_

It was an incredible surprise to me to find out that there was actually an organization that cared about both parts of my life. 对我来说这是一个难以置信的惊喜 (我发现)实际上有如此的一个机构能够涵盖我生活的两个不同方面
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
Because, basically , 因为,实际上
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
I work as a theoretical physicist . 我是一个理论物理学家
theoretical:adj.理论的;理论上的;假设的;推理的; physicist:n.物理学家;物理学研究者;
I develop and test models of the Big Bang , using observational data. 我开发和测试宇宙大爆炸的模型 使用观测数据
Bang:n.猛敲; v.猛敲; v.正好; observational:adj.观测的;根据观察的;
And I've been moonlighting for the last five years helping with a project in Africa. 但是实际上在过去的五年中,我还“暗中”从事着另一个事业 为在非洲的一个项目尽我所能
moonlighting:v.(暗中)兼职,从事第二职业(moonlight的现在分词)n.月光
And, I get a lot of flak for this at Cambridge . 而且,在剑桥我受到了很多“非议”
flak:n.高射炮;抨击;谴责; Cambridge:n.剑桥(英国城市);坎布里奇(美国马萨诸塞州城市);
People wonder, you know, "How do you have time to do this?" And so on. 人们疑惑:你怎么有时间去做这个事情?诸如此类
And so it was simply astonishing to me to find an organization that appreciated both those sides. 所以我只是惊讶 可以找到这样一个机构能同时关心这两个方面的问题
astonishing:adj.令人十分惊讶的;v.使十分惊讶;使吃惊;(astonish的现在分词) appreciated:v.欣赏;感激;理解;(appreciate的过去分词和过去式)
So I thought I'd start off by just telling you a little bit about myself and why I lead this schizophrenic life. 我想我还是从自己的一点事情说起 以及我是如何走进这种“精神分裂式”的生活的
schizophrenic:adj.精神分裂症的;n.精神分裂症的患者;
Well, I was born in South Africa and my parents were imprisoned for resisting the racist regime . 我出生在南非,父母早年被监禁 由于反对种族歧视的政治统治
imprisoned:v.监禁;关押;(imprison的过去分词和过去式) resisting:adj.稳定的;坚固的;v.抵抗;忍住(resist的现在分词); racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制;
When they were released , we left and we went as refugees to Kenya and Tanzania. 当他们被释放以后,我们离开南非流亡到肯尼亚和坦桑尼亚
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数)
Both were very young countries then, and full of hope for the future. 那是都是非常年轻的国家 未来也都充满了希望
We had an amazing childhood . Didn't have any money, but we were outdoors most of the time. 我的童年十分奇妙,(虽然)没有太多钱 但是我们大部分时间都奔波在外
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
We had fantastic friends and we saw the wonders of the world, like Kilimanjaro , Serengeti and the Olduvai Gorge . 我们结识了非常好的朋友,见识了世界的各种奇观 比如乞力马扎罗山(非洲最高峰),塞伦盖蒂平原和奥杜威峡谷(著名人类化石产地)
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 Kilimanjaro:n.乞力马扎罗山(非洲最高峰); Serengeti:n.塞伦盖蒂平原(位于坦桑尼亚西北部); Gorge:n.峡谷;胃;暴食;咽喉;障碍物;vt.使吃饱;吞下;使扩张;vi.拚命吃;狼吞虎咽;
Well, then we moved to London for high school. 然后我们搬去了伦敦,我在那里度过了高中
And after that -- there's nothing much to say about that. 再之后——这部分没有什么好讲的
It was rather dull . But I came back to Africa at the age of 17, as a volunteer teacher to Lesotho, which is a tiny country, surrounded at that time by apartheid South Africa. (因为)这期间没有什么有趣的事情可以分享,不过我回到了非洲 在我17岁的时候,以志愿教师的身份 来到了一个小国家——莱索托 在那时候被种族隔离的南非所环绕
dull:v.减轻; adj.枯燥无味的; volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿; apartheid:n.种族隔离;
Well, 80 percent of the men in Lesotho worked in the mines over the border, in brutal conditions. 在莱索托,80%的男人 在国境之外的矿地上工作 生活在十分低劣的环境中
brutal:adj.残忍的;野蛮的,不讲理的;
Nevertheless , I -- as I'm sure -- as a rather irritating young white man coming into their village, I was welcomed with incredible hospitality and warmth. 然而,可以肯定的是,我以一个相当敏感的年轻白人的身份 来到了他们的村庄,(出乎我预料的是),我得到了难以置信的热情款待
Nevertheless:adv.然而,不过;虽然如此;conj.然而,不过; irritating:adj.惹人生气的;恼人的;使人生气的;v.使烦恼;刺激;(irritate的现在分词) hospitality:n.好客;殷勤;
But the kids were the best part. 不过孩子们才是最令人印象深刻的
The kids were amazing: extremely eager and often very bright. 这些孩子们令我叹为观止:极度渴求(知识),而且经常显露出十分聪颖的一面
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
And I'm just going to tell you one story, which got through to me. 我只需要向大家讲述一个故事(就可以证明) 我也通过它认识到了这个事实
I used to try to take the kids outside as often as possible, to try to connect the academic stuff with the real world. 我经常试着带孩子们尽可能多的走出去 试着将那些学术的东西和真实的世界联系起来
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And they weren't used to that. 而且实际上他们很少得到这样的机会
But I took them outside one day and I said, "I want you to estimate the height of the building." 有一天我带他们出去,我说: 我希望大家能够估测出这座建筑的高度
estimate:v.估计;估算;估价;n.估价;(对大小、数量、成本等的)估计;估计的成本;
And I expected them to put a ruler next to the wall, size it up with a finger, and make an estimate of the height. 我当时期望他们会将尺子放在墙上 用手指估算尺子的倍数,继而得到高度的估测值
But there was one little boy, very small for his age. 不过有一个小男孩,对于他这个年龄段来说非常小
He was the son of one of the poorest families in the village. 他是这个村子中那些最穷人家的孩子
And he wasn't doing that. He was scribbling with chalk on the pavement . 他并没有那样做。他在拿起一根粉笔在人行道上乱画
scribbling:n.预梳,乱涂;v.乱涂,乱写(scribble的现在分词形式); pavement:n.路面;人行道;石板铺的地面;
And so, I said -- I was annoyed -- I said, "What are you doing? 于是,我问他——我当时很生气——说:“你在干什么?”
annoyed:adj.恼怒;生气;烦恼;v.使恼怒;使生气;打扰;骚扰(annoy的过去分词和过去式)
I want you to estimate the height of the building." 我要的是你测这个建筑的高度
He said, "OK. I measured the height of a brick. 他说:“好的,我测出一块砖头的高度”
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式)
I counted the number of bricks and now I'm multiplying ." 而且已经数出砖头了的个数,现在,我正在把这二者相乘
multiplying:n.繁殖;adj.乘法的;v.乘;繁殖;增加(multiply的ing形式);
Well -- (Laughter) -- I hadn't thought of that one. 哦——(笑声)——我都没有想到这一招!
And many experiences like this happened to me. 我经历了很多像这种的事情
Another one is that I met a miner . He was home on his three-month leave from the mines. 还有一件事是,我有一次遇到了一个矿工。他是在家休假,矿地放三个月的假。
miner:n.矿工;开矿机;
Sitting next to him one day, he said, "There's only one thing that I really loved at school. 有一天他坐在我旁边对我说:“在学校我只对一件事情非常热衷。”
And you know what it was? Shakespeare ." And he recited some to me. “你知道是什么吗?莎士比亚。”他还给我背诵了几段。
Shakespeare:n.莎士比亚(英国剧作家); recited:vt.背诵;叙述;列举;vi.背诵;叙述;
And these and many similar experiences convinced me that there are just tons of bright kids in Africa 这两个以及许多相似的经历使我坚信 在非洲有非常非常多的聪明的孩子
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
- inventive kids, intellectual kids -- and starved of opportunity. 有创造力的,高智力的孩子们 极度渴求(学习的)机会
inventive:adj.发明的;有发明才能的;独出心裁的; intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的;
And if Africa is going to get fixed, it's by them, not by us. 如果说非洲将来会振兴,是由他们完成的,不是我们。
Well, after -- (Applause) -- that's the truth. 然后……(掌声)——事实就是这样。
Well, after Lesotho, I traveled across Africa before returning to England 在莱索托之后,我穿越旅行了非洲 在回到英格兰之前
- so gray and depressing in comparison . 对比之下非常灰暗和压抑
depressing:adj.令人抑郁的; v.使沮丧; (depress的现在分词) comparison:n.比较;对比;相比;
And I went to Cambridge. And there, I fell for theoretical physics. 之后我去了剑桥。就是在那里,我沉醉在理论物理学的世界里。
Well, I'm not going to explain this equation , but theoretical physics is really an amazing subject. 好吧,我并不准备解释这个等式 不过理论物理学确实是一个神奇的学科
equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式;
We can write down all the laws of physics we know in one line. 我们可以将已知的所有物理定律写进一行之中
And, admittedly , it's in a very shorthand notation . 不可否认的是,这是用一组非常简化的符号表示的
admittedly:adv.公认地;无可否认地;明白地; shorthand:n.速记;速记法;adj.速记法的; notation:n.符号;乐谱;注释;记号法;
And it contains 18 free parameters , 这其中包含了18个自由参数
parameters:n.决定因素;规范;范围;(parameter的复数)
OK, which we have to fit to the data. 好吧,为了配合数据我们必须这样做
So it's not the final story, but it's an incredibly powerful summary of everything we know about nature at the most basic level. 所以,事情到这里并没有结束 不过这是对我们所有获得的所有知识的一种强力的总结,不可思议 关于自然,在最基本的层面之上。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; summary:adj.简易的;扼要的;n.概要,摘要,总结; at the most:至多,不超过;
And apart from a few very important loose ends, which you've heard about here -- like dark energy and dark matter -- this equation describes -- seems to describe everything about the universe and what's in it. 除了一些非常重要的成果——它们还有待进一步研究,想必大家都听说过了 比如暗物质和暗能量 这个等式描述了 似乎描述了关于宇宙的任何事情以及其中的奥秘
loose:adj.宽松的; v.释放; v.松散地; n.放纵; dark matter:n.暗物质(根据一些理论,指太空中不反射光的物质); describes:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;(describe的第三人称单数)
But there's one big puzzle remaining, and this was most succinctly put to me by my primary school math teacher in 但是仍然存在一个很大的疑问。 这主要受到了我的小学老师的启发,非常简洁
puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑; succinctly:adv.简洁地;简便地; primary school:小学;
Tanzania, who's a wonderful Scottish lady who I still stay in touch with. 当我还在坦桑尼亚的时候,她是一位非常好的苏格兰女士 至今我仍与她保持联络
stay in touch:保持联系;
And she's now in her 80s. 如今她已经80多岁了
And when I try to explain my work to her, she waved away all the details, and she said, "Neil, there's only one question that really matters. 当我试着向她解释我的工作时,她摇了摇手抛开了所有的细节,她说: ”Neil,真正重要的只有一个问题。
What banged ?" (Laughter) 到底是什么东西爆炸了?”(笑声)
banged:v.猛敲;砰的关上;猛摔;砰地一扔;(bang的过去分词和过去式)
'"Everyone talks about the Big Bang. What banged?" “所有的人都在谈论大爆炸,可到底是什么东西爆炸了?”
And she's right. It's a question we've all been avoiding. 她是对的。对于这个问题,我们一直都在回避。
The standard explanation is that the universe somehow sprang into existence, full of a strange kind of energy 公认的解释是宇宙不知为何的一下爆炸出来 充满了各种奇怪的能量
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
- inflationary energy -- which blew it up. 暴胀的能量——使得宇宙发生大爆炸
inflationary:adj.通货膨胀的;通货膨胀倾向的;通货膨胀引起的;
But the puzzle of why the universe emerged in that peculiar state is completely unsolved . 但是有一个疑问是,为什么宇宙会在那种特殊的状态下出现 这个问题完全无解
emerged:v.(从隐蔽处或暗处)出现;暴露;露出真相;显现;(emerge的过去分词和过去式) peculiar:adj.特殊的;独特的;奇怪的;罕见的;n.特权;特有财产; unsolved:adj.未解决的;未解答的;
Now, I worked on that theory for a while , with Stephen Hawking and others. 现在,我对那种理论的研究已经有一段时间了,和史蒂芬·霍金以及其他人
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; Hawking:n.利用鹰行猎;v.袭击;翱翔;攫取(hawk的现在分词);
But then I began to explore another alternative . 不过之后我开始探索另一种可能性
explore:v.探索:探测:探险: alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
The alternative is that the Big Bang wasn't the beginning. 另一种可能性就是“大爆炸”并非开始。
Perhaps the universe existed before the bang, and the bang was just a violent event in a pre-existing universe. 也许在爆炸前宇宙就已经存在了。 大爆炸不过是在先已存在的宇宙中发生的一个剧烈事件而已。
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; pre-existing:adj.先已存在的;
Well, this possibility is actually suggested by the latest theories, the unified theories, which try to explain all those 18 free parameters in a single framework, which will hopefully predict all of them. 这种可能性实际上已经被佐证了 被最新的理论,统一理论。 它试着解释那全部18个自由参数 在一个单一的框架中,这个框架有希望预测所有这些变量
unified:adj.统一的;一致标准的;v.统一;使一致(unify的过去分词); predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
And I'll just share a cartoon of this idea here. 我这里仅把这种想法以动画的形式表达
It's all I can convey . According to these theories, there are extra dimensions in space, not just the three that we're familiar with, but at every point in the room there are more dimensions. 这就是我要传达的全部信息。根据上述理论, 在宇宙中还有许多“维”,不仅仅只有我们所熟悉的三维空间, 实际在房间内的每一个点,都有更多的维度。
convey:vt.传达;运输;让与; According to:根据,据说; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: dimensions:n.规模,大小; familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
and in particular , there's one rather strange one, in the most elegant unified theories we have. 而且特别的,有一个相当奇怪的例子。 这种情况在最严谨“统一理论”中也会出现。
in particular:尤其,特别; elegant:adj.高雅的,优雅的;讲究的;简炼的;简洁的;
The strange one looks likes this: that we live in a three-dimensional world. 这个奇怪的“维”像这个样子: 我们生活在一个三维的世界中。
three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的;
We live in one of these worlds, and I can only show it as a sheet , but it's really three-dimensional. 我们生活在一个像这样的三维世界中,虽然我只能以薄片状的形式显示。 不过它确实是三维的。
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
And a tiny distance away, there's another sheet, also three-dimensional, and they're separated by a gap . 在微小的距离之外,还有另外一个薄片。 同样也是三维的,它们被一条间隙所分隔开。
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
The gap is very tiny, and I've blown it up so you can see it. 这个间隙非常微小,为了便于大家观看我把它放大了。
But it's really a tiny fraction of the size of an atomic nucleus . 但是它实际上只相当于一个原子核的一小部分那么大。
fraction:n.分数;小部分;小数;少量; atomic:adj.原子的,原子能的;微粒子的; nucleus:n.核,核心;原子核;
I won't go into the details of why we think the universe is like this but it comes out of the math and trying to explain the physics that we know. 我不会详细的说明为什么这是我们认为的宇宙的样子。 不过这是数学推算的结果,并试图解释我们已知的物理现象
Well, I got interested in this because it seemed to me that it was an obvious question. 我之所以对它感兴趣是因为,我很自然的产生了一个疑问。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
Which is,what happens if these two, three-dimensional worlds should actually collide ? 就是,如果这两个三维的世界实际上发生碰撞 那么结果会怎样?
collide:vi.碰撞;抵触,冲突;vt.使碰撞;使相撞;
And if they collide, it would look a lot like the Big Bang. 如果它们碰撞,就会和大爆炸十分相像。
But it's slightly different than in the conventional picture. 不过它和传统的设想有一点细微的不同。
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; different than:不同于; conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的;
The conventional picture of the Big Bang is a point. 传统的大爆炸源自于一个点。
Everything comes out of a point; you have infinite density . And all the equations break down. 万事万物都由这一个点衍生出来; 它具有无穷大的密度,没有任何的等式可言。
infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; density:n.密度; equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式);
No hope of describing that. 根本无法描述。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词)
In this picture, you'll notice, the bang is extended . It's not a point. 在这张图中,可以看到。 爆炸被扩充了。它不是一个点。
extended:adj.延长了的;扩展了的;v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;(extend的过去式和过去分词)
The density of matter is finite, and we have a chance of a consistent set of equations that can describe the whole process . 物质的密度是有限的,而且我们也有可能 获得一组一致的等式来描述整个过程。
consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
So to cut a long story short, we've explored this alternative. 所以总而言之,我们探索了这一种可能性。
explored:v.探索;勘探;考察;探险;(explore的过去式和过去分词)
We've shown that it can fit all of the data that we have about the formation of galaxies , the fluctuations in the microwave background. 我们已经表明它可以符合 所有关于银河系的形成的已知数据 以及在(宇宙)微波背景下的起伏现象。
formation:n.形成;编队;组成;队形; galaxies:n.银河; (galaxy的复数) fluctuations:n.[物]波动(fluctuation的复数);变动;起伏现象; microwave:n.微波;
Furthermore , there's an experimental way to tell this theory apart from the inflationary explanation that I told you before. 另外,还有一种实验性的方法 来解释这种理论,除了我刚才讲过的膨胀解释方法。
Furthermore:adv.此外;而且; experimental:adj.实验的;根据实验的;试验性的;
It involves gravitational waves. 这会涉及到引力波。
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) gravitational:adj.[力]重力的,[力]引力的;
And in this scenario , not only was the Big Bang not the beginning, as you can see from the picture, it can happen over and over again . 从这一点来看,不仅仅大爆炸不是开始。 (而且)如我们从屏幕上看到的, 它会不断重复的发生。
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
It may be that we live in an endless universe, both in space and in time. 有可能我们生活在一个无止境的宇宙中, 在空间和时间上都是。
endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的;
And there's been bangs in the past, and there will be bangs in the future. 过去发生过爆炸,将来也会有爆炸。
bangs:n.刘海; v.猛撞;
And maybe we live in an endless universe. 也许我们就是生活在一个无止境的宇宙中。
Well, making and testing models of the universe is, for me, the best way I have of enjoying and appreciating the universe. 那么,建立和测试宇宙模型, 对我来说,是我欣赏和赞叹宇宙的最好方式。
appreciating:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解(appreciate的现在分词)
We need to make the best mathematical models we can, the most consistent ones. 我们要尽全力去建立最好的数学模型, 最一致的。
mathematical:adj.数学的,数学上的;精确的;
And then we scrutinize them, logically and with data. 然后我们再用逻辑方法和数据仔细检测
scrutinize:vi.细阅;作详细检查;vt.详细检查;细看;n.仔细或彻底检查; logically:adv.逻辑上;合乎逻辑;
And we try to convince ourselves -- we really try to convince ourselves they're wrong. 然后再试图说服我们自己—— 我们确实是试图说服自己是错误的。
That's progress: when we prove things wrong. 这就是我们推翻设想的过程。
And gradually , we hopefully move closer and closer to understanding the world. 然后我们逐渐的,有希望的加深对世界的认识。
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
As I pursued my career , something was always gnawing away inside me. 在我进行着自己的研究时,一直有一些事萦绕在我的心头。
pursued:v.追击,追踪;继续从事(pursue的过去分词形式); career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; gnawing:adj.令人痛苦的;折磨人的;n.咬;不断的苦痛;v.咬;侵蚀;(gnaw的现在分词)
What about Africa? 非洲怎么办?
What about those kids I'd left behind? 我离开的那些孩子们怎么办?
Instead of developing, as we'd all hoped in the '60s, things had got worse. 在60年代,非洲不仅没有像我们所希望的那样发展。 反而陷入了更艰难的处境。
Africa was gripped by poverty , disease and war. 非洲被贫穷,疾病和战争所笼罩。
gripped:vt.紧咬,夹住;紧握(grip过去时形式); poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
This is very graphically shown by the Worldmapper website and project. Worldmapper这个网站和项目可以很生动的说明这个问题。
graphically:adv.生动地;活灵活现地;用图表表示;轮廓分明地;
And so the idea is to represent each country on a map, but scale the area according to some quantity . 它的方法是在地图上表示每个国家, 不过地区的比例则是根据一些标准来确定。
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; quantity:n.量;数量;大量;数额;
So here's just the standard area map of the world. 现在这幅就是标准的世界地图。
By the way , Africa is very large. 顺便说一句,非洲占很大的一部分
By the way:顺便说一下;
And the next map now shows Africa's GDP in 1960, around the time of independence for many African states. 下面这幅地图显示了20世纪60年代非洲的GDP 那是正是非洲民族独立解放运动的高峰期。
independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
Now, this is 1990 and then 2002. And here's a projection for 2015. 现在这个是1990年,然后是2002年。然后这是2015年的(预计)情况。
projection:n.投射;规划;突出;发射;推测;
Big changes are happening in the world, but they're not helping Africa. 世界正发生着巨变。 但是却与非洲无关。
What about Africa's population? The population isn't out of proportion to its area, but Africa leads the world in deaths from often preventable causes: malnutrition , simple infections and birth complications. 那么非洲的人口呢?人口和面积并非不成比例, 但是非洲却因为一些经常可以阻止的原因而居于世界死亡率前列。 营养不良,简单的传染病和出生并发症。
proportion:n.比例;部分;份额;均衡;v.摊派;使相称; preventable:adj.可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的; malnutrition:n.营养失调,营养不良; infections:n.传染病;口腔病害(infection复数形式);
Then there's HIV/AIDS. And then there's deaths from war. 这是艾滋病患者的比例,这是战争死亡数的比例。
OK, currently there are 45,000 people a month dying in the Congo, as a consequence of the war there over coltan and diamonds and other things. 目前刚果平均每月有45,000人死亡, 由于战争的原因 为了争夺钴,钻石以及其他的资源。
currently:adv.当前;一般地; consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
It's still going on. 而且现在还在继续
What about Africa's capacity to do something about these problems? 那么非洲应对这些问题的能力如何?
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
Well, here's the number of physicians in Africa. 我们来看一下非洲的医生的数量
physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数);
Here's the number of people in higher education . 这是接受高等教育的人数。
higher education:高等教育(指含大学以上的教育);
And here -- most shocking to me -- the number of scientific research papers coming out of Africa. 然后这里——最令我震惊的—— 非洲产生的科研论文的数量。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
It just doesn't exist scientifically . 根本就不存在,科研方面的。
scientifically:adv.系统地;合乎科学地;学问上;
And this was all very eloquently argued at TED Africa: that all of the aid that's been given has completely failed to put Africa onto its own two feet. 这些都在非洲的TED大会上被激烈的讨论过: 所有给予的援助, 都对非洲的发展和振兴毫无帮助。
eloquently:adv.善辩地;富于表现力地;
Well, the transition to democracy in South Africa in 1994 was literally a dream come true for many of us. 1994年,南非实现的民主转变 对于我们中的许多人来说简直就像是美梦成真一样。
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: dream come true:梦想成真;美梦成真;愿望成真;
My parents were both elected to the first parliament , alongside Nelson and Winnie Mandela. They were the only other couple. 我们的父母都被选举为首届国会的成员, 与曼德拉夫妇。他们是唯一的另一对夫妇。
parliament:n.议会,国会;
And in 2001, I took a research leave to visit them. 在2001年,我为做研究请假去拜访了他们。
And while I was busy working -- I was working on these colliding worlds, in the day. 在我忙于工作的同时——我在研究这个碰撞的模型,整天时间。
colliding:adj.对撞的;v.碰撞(collide的现在分词);冲突;n.碰撞;冲撞;
And I learned that there was a desparate shortage of skills, especially mathematical skills, in industry, in government, in education. 我意识到那里急缺有技能的人员。 尤其在数学方面,在工业界,政府,教育。
shortage:n.短缺;不足;缺少; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
The ability to make and test models has become essential , not only to every single area of science today, but also to modern society itself. 建立和测试模型的能力已经变得不可或缺, 不仅仅对当今科学的每一个领域, 对现代社会亦是如此。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
And if you don't have math, you're not going to enter the modern age. 不掌握数学技能,就谈不上进入现代社会。
So I had an idea. And the idea was very simple. 于是我就有了一个想法,其实非常简单。
The idea was to set up an African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, or AIMS. 就是在非洲建立一个数学及相关科学的机构,或者简称为AIMS(首字母组合)
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
And let's recruit students from the whole of Africa, bring them together with lecturers from all over the world, and we'll try to give them a fantastic education. 然后我们在全非洲范围内进行招生, 将他们和世界各地的学者们聚在一起 然后试图为他们提供极好的教育
recruit:n.新兵; v.吸收(新成员); (通过招募)组成; lecturers:n.讲师;演讲者(lecturer的复数);
Well, as a Cambridge professor, I had many contacts . 作为一名剑桥教授,我有良好的人脉。
contacts:v.联系,联络;(contact的第三人称单数)
And to my astonishment , they backed me 100 percent. 而且令我惊讶的是,他们对我的这一想法百分百支持。
astonishment:n.惊讶;令人惊讶的事物;
They said, "Go and do it, and we'll come and lecture." 他们说:“去做吧, 我们会去那里讲课的。”
And I knew it would be amazing fun to bring brilliant students from these countries, where they don't have any opportunities, together with the best lecturers in the world, who I knew would come, because of the interest in Africa. 我知道这将是一件令人激动不已的事情,把来自 这些(教育)机会极度匮乏的国家的聪颖学生, 和世界上最棒的学者们汇聚在一起。 而且我也知道他们一定会来,出于对非洲的兴趣。
And put them together and just let the sparks fly. 就让他们相处在一起,碰撞出华丽的火花。
sparks:n.(船或飞机上的)无线电通信师;
So we bought a derelict hotel near Cape Town. 于是我们就在开普敦附近买下了一个废弃的旅馆。
derelict:adj.玩忽职守的;无主的;被抛弃了的;n.遗弃物;玩忽职守者;被遗弃的人; Cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角;
It's a 80-room Art Deco hotel from the 1920s. 它始建于20世纪20年代,是一个有80房间的装饰艺术旅馆。
Art Deco:n.装饰派艺术(流行于20世纪20至30年代,呈几何图形,线条清晰,色彩鲜明);
The area was kind of seedy , so we got a 80-room hotel for 100,000 dollars. 由于那个地方有点简陋,所以我们用10万美元就买下了这个80个房间的旅馆。
seedy:adj.多种子的;结籽的;破烂的;没精打采的;下流的;
It's a beautiful building. We decided we would refurbish it and then put out the word: we're going to start the best maths institute in Africa in this hotel. 这个旅馆十分漂亮,我们决定再重新整修一番。 然后公开宣布: 我们要建立非洲最好的数学机构, 从这个旅馆开始。
refurbish:vt.刷新;再磨光; maths:数学(课)
Well, the new South Africa is a very exciting country. 现在的南非是一个焕然一新的国家。
And those of you who haven't been there, you should go. 如果大家之中还有人没有去过,你应该去看一看。
It's very, very interesting what's happening. 现在正在发生的事情非常非常有趣。
And we recruited wonderful staff, highly motivated staff. 而且我们招募到了很棒的机构成员, 他们的积极性都很高。
recruited:v.招聘,雇佣;招募;(recruit的过去分词和过去式) highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
The other thing that's happened, which was good for us, is the Internet. 另一个正在发生的事情对我们也是一个好消息,那就是因特网。
Even though the Internet is very expensive all over Africa, there are Internet cafes everywhere. 尽管因特网在非洲还是一个奢侈的事物, 不过网吧随处可见。
cafes:n.咖啡馆(cafe的复数);
And bright young Africans are desperate to join the global community , to be successful -- and they're very ambitious . 非洲的青年才俊们极其渴望成为全球化的一份子, 使自己走向成功——而且他们的志向宏大。
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
They want to be the next Einstein. 他们想成为下一个爱因斯坦。
And so when word came out that AIMS was opening, it spread very quickly via e-mail and our website. 于是当AIMS招生的消息传播出来以后, 它迅速的通过e-mail和网站被广泛宣传。
via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道;
And we got lots of applicants . 申请者也不计其数。
applicants:n.申请人(尤指求职、进高等学校等);(applicant的复数)
Well, we designed AIMS as a 24-hour learning environment, and it was fantastic to start a university from the beginning. 我们将AIMS设计成一个全天候的学习环境, 新办一所大学是一件美妙的事情。
You have to rethink , what is the university for? 你不得不重新思索:大学是为了什么?
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法;
And that's really exciting. 这确实令人十分激动。
So we designed it to have interactive teaching. 因此我们将它设计成交互式教学的模式。
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
No droning on at the chalkboard . 没有死板的灌输式教学。
droning:v.懒洋洋地说;嗡嗡响;(drone的现在分词) chalkboard:n.黑板;
We emphasize problem-solving , working in groups, every student discovering and maximizing their own potential , and not chasing grades. 我们强调问题解决导向,分组工作, 让每一个学生发现和最大程度的发掘自身潜能, 而不是追求分数。
emphasize:v.强调;重视;着重;使突出; problem-solving:adj.问题解决的;n.解决问题;找出问题的答案; maximizing:n.最大化;达到极大值;v.使…最大化;取…最大值(maximize的ing形式); potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
Everyone lives together in this hotel, lecturers and students and it's not surprising at all to find an impromptu tutorial at 1:00 a.m. 在这个旅馆中所有的人都住在一起,不论是老师还是学生, 而且如果在凌晨一点钟发现了即兴辅导,一点都不让人惊讶。
impromptu:n.即兴曲;即席演出;adv.即席地;adj.即席的; tutorial:adj.辅导的;家庭教师的,个别指导的;n.个别指导;
The students don't usually leave the computer lab till 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. 很多时候,学生们直到凌晨两点或三点才离开电脑室。
And then they're up again for eight in the morning. 而且8点钟又起床,开始新一天的学习。
Lectures, problem solving and so on. It's an extraordinary place. 听课,解决问题等等。这是个很棒的地方。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
We especially emphasize areas of great relevance to Africa's development, because in those areas scientists working in Africa will have a competitive advantage . 我们特别强调那些和非洲的发展密切相关的领域, 因为在这些领域,工作在非洲的科学家将会获得竞争优势。
relevance:n.关联;适当;中肯; competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
They'll publish , be invited to conferences . 他们会发表论文,会被邀请参加学术会议。
publish:v.出版;发表;公布; conferences:n.会议(conference的复数形式);
They'll do well; they'll have successful careers . 他们将做的很棒,他们将取得成功。
careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式);
And AIMS has done extremely well. 同时AIMS也取得了极大的成功。
Here is a list of last year's graduates, graduated in June, and what they're currently doing, 48 of them. 这是去年的毕业名单,6月份毕业, 以及他们目前的状况,这里有48个人的信息。
And where they are is indicated over here. 这里是目前他们的所在地点。
indicated:v.表明;显示;象征;暗示;示意;(indicate的过去分词和过去式)
And where they've gone. So these are all postgraduate students. 以及他们去过的地方。这些都是本科生。
postgraduate:n.研究生,研究所学生;adj.大学毕业后的;
And they've all gone on to master's and Ph.D. degrees in excellent places. 他们都选择了在优秀的学府继续深造硕士或博士。
Five students can be educated at AIMS for the cost of educating one in the U.S. or Europe. 在欧美培养一个学生的费用, 在AIMS可以培养五个学生。
But more important, the pan-African student body is a continual source of strength, pride and commitment to Africa. 更重要的是,泛非主义的学生, 是非洲强大,自豪和振兴的不竭源泉。
student body:全体学生;学生的总称; continual:adj.持续不断的;频繁的; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
We illustrate AIMS' progress by coloring in the countries of Africa. 我们用为国家标注不同颜色的方法展示AIMS的发展进度。
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实;
So here you can see behind this list. 因此在这个名单的后面你可以看到。
When a county is colored yellow: we've received an application; orange: we've accepted an application; and green: a student has graduated. 当国家被黄色标注时,表示我们收到了申请; 橙色,表示我们同意了申请;绿色, 表示学生毕业。
county:n.郡,县;
So here is where we were after the first graduation in 2004. 所以当2004年第一届学生毕业以后,大致的情况如图所示。
And we set ourselves a goal of turning the continent green. 于是我们为自己定下的目标是将这个非洲大陆变成绿色。
continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的;
So there's 2005, -6, -7, -8. 因此,2005年,06年,07年,08年。
(Applause) (掌声)
We're well on the way to achieving our initial goal. 我们在实现最初目标的道路上顺利的前进着。
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于;
We had some of the students filmed at home before they came to AIMS. 我们让一些学生在家乡拍摄了一些视频,在他们来AIMS之前。
And I'll just show you one. 我现在就展示一段。
Tendai Mugwagwa: My name is Tendai Mugwagwa. Tendai Mugwagwa:我的名字叫Tendai Mugwagwa。
I have a Bachelor's of Science with Education degree. 我拥有理学学士学位。
I will be attending AIMS. 我将要进入AIMS学习。
My understanding of the course is that it covers quite a lot. 我对这个课程的理解是它包罗万象。
You know, from physics to medicine, in particular, epidemiology and also mathematical modeling. 从物理学到医学, 尤其是,传染病学和数学建模。
epidemiology:n.流行病学;传染病学;
Neil Turok: So Tendai came to AIMS and did very well. Neil Turok:Tendai进入了AIMS,表现的非常出色。
And I'll let her take it from there. 我让她在那里也拍摄了一段视频。
TM: My name is Tendai Mugwagwa and I was a student at AIMS in 2003 and 2004. Tendai Mugwagwa: 我的名字叫Tendai Mugwagwa, 我于2003年和2004年之间在AIMS学习。
After leaving AIMS, I went on to do a Master's in Applied Mathematics at the University of Cape Town in South Africa. 离开AIMS之后,我继续攻读应用数学的硕士学位, 在南非的开普敦大学。
Applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) Mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
After that, I came to the Netherlands where I'm now doing a Ph.D. in Theoretical Immunology . 之后,我来到了荷兰, 现在我在这里攻读理论免疫学的博士学位。
Immunology:n.[免疫]免疫学;
Professor: Tendai is working very independently . 教授:Tendai具有很好的独立研究的能力,
independently:adv.独立地;自立地;
She communicates well with the immunologists at the hospital, so all in all I have a very good Ph.D. student from South Africa. 她和医院的免疫学家沟通的也非常融洽, 总而言之,我有一个非常优秀的南非博士生。
immunologists:n.免疫学者; all in all:总而言之;头等重要的东西;
So I'm happy she's here. 很高兴她在这里。
NT: Another student in the first year of AIMS was Shehu. NT:另外一个AIMS第一年的学生是Shehu
And he's shown here with his favorite high school teacher. 这张图里他和他最喜欢的高中老师在一起。
And then entering university in northern Nigeria. 然后他进入了尼日利亚北部的一所大学。
And after AIMS, Shehu wanted to do high-energy physics, and he came to Cambridge. 在完成了AIMS学习之后,Shehu希望从事高能物理学的研究, 然后他来到了剑桥。
high-energy:高能的;
He's about to finish his Ph.D. 他就要完成博士学位了。
and he was filmed recently with someone you all know. 他最近和一个大家都熟悉的人拍摄了一段视频。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
Shehu: And from there we will be able to, hopefully, make better predictions and then we compare it to the graph and also make some predictions. Shehu:在那里我们就可以, 有希望的进行更好的预测,进而将它 绘制成线图,同样的做出一些预测。
predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式); compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
Stephen Hawking: That is nice. Stephen Hawking:很好。
NT: Here are the current students at AIMS. There are 53 of them from 20 different countries, including 20 women. NT:这些是目前在AIMS的学生,共53人, 来自20个不同的国家,包括20名女性。
So now I'm going to get to my TED business. 现在我们说说我的关于TED的事情。
Well, we had a party. This is Africa -- we have good parties in Africa. And last month, they threw a surprise party for me. 我们有派对。这是在非洲—— 我们有很棒的派对。上个月,他们为我举办了一个惊喜派对。
Here's somebody you've seen already. 这个人想必大家刚才都见过了。
(Applause) (掌声)
I want to point out a few other exceptional people in this picture. 我想在这张照片中指出其他几位优秀的人。
exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生;
So we were having a party, as you can see they're completely eclipsing me at this point. (这张照片中)我们在聚会, 显而易见在这时候他们已经完全把我比下去了。
eclipsing:v.重叠(eclipse的现在分词);
This is Ezra. She's from Darfur . 这是Ezra,她来自达尔富尔。
Darfur:n.达尔富尔(苏丹地名);
She's a physicist, and somehow stays smiling, in spite of everything going on back home. 她是一位物理学家,不知为何她总是保持微笑, 尽管家乡动荡不安。
in spite of:尽管;不管,不顾;
But she wants to continue in physics and she's doing extremely well. 但是她想继续从事物理研究而且她做的非常出色。
This is Lydia. Lydia is the first ever woman to graduate in mathematics in the Central African Republic. 这是Lydia。Lydia是有史以来第一位 从数学专业毕业的中非女性。
And she's now at AIMS. (Applause) 她现在在AIMS。(掌声)
So now let me get to our TED wish. 现在我要讲到我们的TED愿望。
Well, it's not my TED wish; it's our wish, as you've already gathered. 它不是我的TED愿望;是我们的,大家应该已经猜出来了。
And our wish has two parts: one is a dream and the other's a plan. OK. 我们的愿望分成两部分: 一个梦想和一个计划。
Our TED dream is that the next Einstein will be African. (Applause) 我们的梦想就是下一个爱因斯坦将是非洲人。(掌声)
In striving for the heights of creative genius , we want to give thousands of people the motivation , the encouragement and the courage to obtain the high-level skills they need to help Africa. 在不断追求顶级创造性天才的过程中, 我们力求给数以千计的非洲人以动力, 鼓励和勇气 来帮他们获得建设非洲所需的高等技能。
striving:n.努力;奋斗;v.努力;奋斗;力争;力求;(strive的现在分词) creative:adj.创造性的; genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; obtain:vi.获得;流行;vt.获得; high-level:adj.高级的;高阶层的;在高空的;
Among them will be not only brilliant scientists -- 他们之中将不仅仅有顶尖的科学家——
I'm sure of that from what we've seen at AIMS -- they'll also be the African Gates, Brins and Pages of the future. 从AIMS的情况看我可以肯定这一点—— 在未来也会出现非洲的盖茨,布林和佩奇。
Well, I said we also have a plan. And our plan is quite simple. 我谈到了我们也有一个计划。我们的计划十分简单。
AIMS is now a proven model. AIMS现在已经树立了一个典范。
And what we need to do is to replicate it. 我们需要做的就是将其复制。
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品;
We want to roll out 15 AIMS centers in the next five years, all over Africa. 我们希望在未来的五年内发展15个AIMS中心,遍布非洲。
Each will have a pan-African student body, but specialize in a different area of science. 每一个中心都有一个泛非洲学生主体, 只是依据科学的不同领域将其细分。
specialize in:专门研究…;
We want to use science to overcome the national and cultural barriers , as it does at AIMS. 我们希望通过科学来克服国家和文化的障碍, 就像在AIMS中实现的那样。
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; barriers:n.障碍;栅栏;篱笆墙(barrier的复数形式);
And we want to add elements to the curriculum . 我们希望在课程体系中加进一些元素。
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数) curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
We want to add entrepreneurship and policy skills. 我们希望加入企业家精神和处事技巧。
entrepreneurship:n.企业家精神; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
The expanded AIMS will be a coherent pan-African institution , and its graduates will form a powerful network, working together for peace and progress across the continent. 扩展后的AIMS将是一个统一的泛非洲复制, 它的毕业生将会形成强大的人际网络, 共同为这片土地的和平和进步而努力。
expanded:adj.扩充的;展开的;vt.扩大(expand的过去式); coherent:adj.连贯的,一致的;明了的;清晰的;凝聚性的;互相耦合的;粘在一起的; institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
Over the last year, we've been visiting sites in Africa, looking at potential sites for new AIMS centers. 在去年期间, 我们拜访了非洲的许多地点, 为心的AIMS中心寻找潜在的据点。
sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
And here are the ones we've selected. 这里是我们已经选定的一些地点。
And each of these centers has a strong local team, each is in a beautiful place, an interesting place, which international lecturers will be happy to visit. 每一个地点在当地都有一支强大的队伍, 环境都很漂亮,很有趣, 各个国家的学者们将会十分乐意前往。
And our partners across Africa are extremely enthusiastic about this. 我们的非洲伙伴对这件事情都极度热情。
enthusiastic:adj.热情的;热心的;狂热的;
Everyone wants an AIMS center in their country. 每个人都想在他们的国家建立一个AIMS中心。
And last November, the conference of all the African ministers of science and technology , held in Mombasa, called for a comprehensive plan to roll out AIMS. 去年十一月, 非洲各国的科技部部长齐聚一堂, 在蒙巴萨,呼吁一个扩展AIMS的全面规划。
ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; comprehensive:adj.综合的;广泛的;有理解力的;n.综合学校;专业综合测验;
So we have political support right across the continent. 所以我们在整个非洲大陆都有强有力的政治支持。
It won't be easy. 这不是一件容易的事。
At every site there will be huge challenges. 每一个地点都将面临严峻的挑战。
Local scientists must play leading roles and governments must be persuaded to buy in. 当地的科学家必须起到带头作用, 也必须说服政府进行财政投入。
persuaded:v.劝说;说服;使信服;使相信;(persuade的过去式和过去分词)
Conditions are very difficult, but we cannot afford to compromise on those principles which made AIMS work. 条件很艰苦, 但是我们不能在这些AIMS的核心观念上妥协。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险; principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
And we summarize them this way: the institutes have got to be relevant , innovative , cost-effective and high quality. Why? 我们可以这样总结: 这些机构必须要有相关性,创新性, 成本高效以及高质量。为什么?
summarize:v.总结;概述;概括;归纳; institutes:n.学院(institute的复数);v.建立(institute的第三人称单数形式); relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的; innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; cost-effective:adj.划算的;成本效益好的(等于cost-efficient);
Because we want Africa to be rich. 因为我们希望非洲变的富有。
Easy to remember the basic rules we need. 很容易记忆,这是我们所需要的基本原则。
So, just in ending, let me say the only people who can fix Africa are talented young Africans. 在结尾处,我想说的是,唯一能重建非洲的人们, 是年轻的非洲人才。
By unlocking and nurturing their creative potential, we can create a step change in Africa's future. 通过解放和培养他们的创造潜力, 我们可以在未来实现非洲的跨越式发展。
unlocking:v.(用钥匙)开…的锁;发现;揭示;揭开;(unlock的现在分词) nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词) step change:n.巨大变化;显著进步(或改善);
Over time they will contribute to African development and to science in ways we can only imagine. 久而久之,他们对于非洲的发展 和科学将作出贡献将令我们叹为观止。
contribute to:有助于;捐献;
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)