返回首页

NealKatyal_2020-_如何(在美国最高法庭或任何地方)赢得辩论_-

Fourteen years ago, 十四年前,
I stood in the Supreme Court to argue my first case. 我在美国高等法院 辩护了我的第一个案件。
And it wasn't just any case, it was a case that experts called one of the most important cases the Supreme Court had ever heard. 而这不是一个普通的案件, 这个案件被专家称为 最高法院处理过的 最重要的案件之一。
It considered whether Guantanamo was constitutional , and whether the Geneva Conventions applied to the war on terror. 它辩论了关塔那摩是否合法, 以及《日内瓦公约》 适不适用于反恐战争。
Supreme Court:最高法院; Guantanamo:n.关塔那摩(古巴); constitutional:adj.宪法的;本质的;体质上的;保健的;n.保健散步;保健运动; Conventions:n.[法]惯例;会议;[计]约定(convention的复数); applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
It was just a handful of years after the horrific attacks of September 11. 当时,911 恐怖事件才刚过去几年。
The Supreme Court had seven Republican appointees and two Democratic ones, and my client happened to be Osama bin Laden's driver. 美国最高法院指定了 七名共和党陪审员 以及两名民主党陪审员。 而我的客户恰好是 乌萨马·本·拉登的司机。
My opponent was the Solicitor General of the United States, 站在我对立面的是 美国的副检察长,
horrific:adj.可怕的;令人毛骨悚然的; Republican:adj.共和国的;共和政体的;共和主义的;拥护共和政体的;n.共和主义者; appointees:n.被任命者; Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的; client:n.[经]客户;顾客;委托人; opponent:n.对手;竞争者;反对者;阻止者;adj.反对的; Solicitor General:n.(英国)副检察长;(美国)司法部副部长; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
America's top courtroom lawyer. 也是美国的一名顶级法庭律师。
He had argued 35 cases. 他当时已辩护了 35 个案件,
I wasn't even 35 years old. 而我当时都还没到 35 岁。
And to make matters worse, the Senate , for the first time since the Civil War, passed a bill to try and remove the case from the docket of the Supreme Court. 更糟糕的是, 自美国内战以来, 参议院首次通过了一项法案, 试图将此案 从最高法院的议事日程中移除。
courtroom:n.法庭;审判室; Senate:n.参议院,上院;(古罗马的)元老院; Civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; docket:n.摘要;记事表;(待判决的)诉讼事件表;vt.在...上附加摘要;
Now the speaking coaches say 这时,演讲导师通常会说,
I'm supposed to build tension and not tell you what happens. 我应该创造悬念, 不告诉大家后面发了生什么。
But the thing is, we won. 但结果是,我们赢了。
How? 怎样做到的呢?
Today, I'm going to talk about how to win an argument, at the Supreme Court or anywhere. 今天,我会讨论怎样赢得一场辩论, 无论是在高等法院, 还是任何其他地方。
The conventional wisdom is that you speak with confidence . 对于如何赢得一场辩论, 通常的建议是,要自信地发言,[01:17]
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) tension:n.张力;拉伸;矛盾;紧张局势(或关系,状况);v.绷紧; conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的; wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
That's how you persuade . 让自己听起来具有说服力。
I think that's wrong. 我认为这是错的。
I think confidence is the enemy of persuasion . 我认为,自信是说服力的敌人。
Persuasion is about empathy , about getting into people's heads. 说服力跟同理心是息息相关的, 是关于进入人们的思维。
That's what makes TED what it is. TED 就是这样发展起来的。[01:33]
persuade:v.说服;劝说;使信服;使相信; persuasion:n.说服;说服力;信念;派别; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
It's why you're listening to this talk. 这就是为什么你正在听这段演讲。
You could have read it on the cold page, but you didn't. 你本可以在一张冷冰冰的纸上 读完这份演讲稿, 但你没有。
Same thing with Supreme Court arguments -- we write written briefs with cold pages, but we also have an oral argument. 最高法院的辩论也是一样—— 我们把案件写在纸上, 但我们也有口头的辩论。
We don't just have a system in which the justices write questions and you write answers. 在我们的系统中, 不只是由法官提问, 而我们被动地去回答。
Why? 为什么?
Because argument is about interaction . 因为辩论的核心是互动。
I want to take you behind the scenes to tell you what I did, and how these lessons are generalizable . 我带让各位了解一下这件事的 来龙去脉,告诉你们我做了什么, 以及如何将这些技巧 运用到其他场合——[01:56]
oral:adj.口头的; n.(尤指外语考试中的)口试; (大学里的)口试; justices:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;(justice的复数) interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰; behind the scenes:adj.幕后的; generalizable:adj.可归纳的;可概括的;
Not just for winning an argument in court, but for something far more profound . 不只是为了在法庭中赢得诉讼, 其背后还有更深远的意义。
Now obviously, it's going to involve practice, but not just any practice will do. 当然,这是需要练习的, 但不是任何训练都能达到目的。
My first practice session for Guantanamo, 在应对关塔那摩案子的 第一次练习中,
I flew up to Harvard and had all these legendary professors throwing questions at me. 我飞到了哈佛。 在那里,许多德高望重的教授 把他们的问题都甩向我。
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的; involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加; session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会; Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生; legendary:adj.传说的,传奇的;n.传说集;圣徒传;
And even though I had read everything, rehearsed a million times, 而虽然我已经通读了 所有的资料,排练了无数次,
I wasn't persuading anyone. 我依然没有能够说服任何人。
My arguments weren't resonating . 我的论点没有引起共鸣。
I was desperate . 我很绝望。
I had done everything possible, read every book, rehearsed a million times, and it wasn't going anywhere. 我已经竭尽所能, 读了每一本书,排练了无数次, 却没有取得任何效果。[02:29]
rehearsed:v.排练;排演;默诵;背诵;重复;(rehearse的过去分词和过去式) persuading:v.劝说;说服;使信服;使相信;(persuade的现在分词) resonating:v.产生共鸣;回响(resonate的ing形式);adj.产生共鸣的;n.感通; desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
So ultimately , I stumbled on this guy -- he was an acting coach, he wasn't even a lawyer. 最终,我偶然遇到了一个家伙, 他并不是表演导师, 甚至都不是律师。
He'd never set foot in the Supreme Court. 他从来没有踏进过 最高法院的大门,
And he came into my office one day wearing a billowy white shirt and a bolo tie , and he looked at me with my folded arms and said, "Look, Neal, I can tell that you don't think this is going to work, but just humor me. 有一天,他来到我的办公室, 穿着一件飘逸的白上衣, 戴着条饰扣式领带。 他双臂交叉,看着我,说: “尼尔,我可以察觉到, 你觉得这不会有用, 不如就当给我讲个笑话好了。
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式) set foot in:v.踏进;进入;涉足于; billowy:adj.汹涌的;巨浪似的; bolo tie:n.波罗领带(用饰物或搭扣系的线编领带); humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就;
Tell me your argument." 告诉我你的论点。”
So I grabbed my legal pad , and I started reading my argument. 于是,我拿起我的笔记本, 开始读我的论点。
He said, "What are you doing?" 他说:“你在做什么?”
I said, "I'm telling you my argument." 我说:“我在告诉你我的论点。”
He said, "Your argument is a legal pad?" 他说:“你的论点是你的笔记本?”
I said, "No, but my argument is on a legal pad." 我说:“不是,但是我的 论点在笔记本上。”[03:06]
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式) legal pad:n.信笺簿;横线簿;
He said, "Neal, look at me. 他说:“尼尔,看着我,
Tell me your argument." 告诉我你的论点。”
And so I did. 于是,我开始了论证。
And instantly, I realized, my points were resonating. 而在那一瞬间,我发现, 我的论点引起了共鸣,
I was connecting to another human being. 我正在与另一个人建立关系。
And he could see the smile starting to form as I was saying my words, and he said, "OK, Neal. 而他可以看到我在说话时, 脸上浮现的微笑, 然后,他说:“好的,尼尔。
Now do your argument holding my hand." 现在,握着我的手, 再重复一次你的论点。”
And I said, "What?" 我说:“什么?”
And he said, "Yeah, hold my hand." 他说:“对,握着我的手。”
I was desperate, so I did it. 我决定死马当活马医, 于是握了住了他的手。
And I realized, "Wow, that's connection. 而我突然间感觉到: “哇,这就是人与人之间的关系。
That's the power of how to persuade." 这是说服力的力量。”
And it helped. 这段经历的确帮助了我。
But truthfully , I still got nervous as the argument date approached . 但说实话,在开庭日期渐渐临近时, 我还是有些紧张。
And I knew that even though argument was about getting into someone else's shoes and empathizing , 虽然我知道辩论 是关于站在别人的角度, 并拥有同理心,
I needed to have a solid core first. 我还是先要有实在的核心内容。
So I did something outside of my comfort zone . 所以,我做了件 在我舒适区之外的事情。
truthfully:adv.诚实地;深信不疑地; approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) empathizing:移情;神会; core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态;
I wore jewelry -- not just anything, but a bracelet that my father had worn his whole life, until he passed away, just a few months before the argument. 我带上了一件首饰—— 这不只是件普通的首饰, 而是我父亲戴了一辈子的一块手镯, 而他在开庭日前的几个月去世了。
I put on a tie that my mom had given me just for the occasion. 我带上了条领带, 是我母亲专门为了 这个场合给我准备的。
And I took out my legal pad and wrote my children's names on it, because that's why I was doing this. 我拿出了笔记本, 将我孩子的名字写在里面, 因为他们是我做这件事情的原因,
bracelet:n.手镯;
For them, to leave the country better than I had found it. 为了让他们可以生活在 一个更好的美国。
I got to court, and I was calm. 我到了法庭,内心十分平静。
The bracelet, the tie, the children's names had all centered me. 手镯、领带和孩子的名字 给予了我无穷的力量。
Like a rock climber extending beyond the precipice , if you have a solid hold, you can reach out. 仿佛一个越过悬崖的攀岩者, 如果有了稳定的支撑, 你就能够勇敢的前进。
And because argument is about persuasion, 而因为辩论是关于说服力,
I knew I had to avoid emotion . 我知道我必须避免情绪激动。
Displays of emotion fail. 展现出自己的真实情绪 会导致失败,
It's kind of like writing an email in all bold and all caps. 就好比一封全部是 黑体和大写的电子邮件,[04:44]
extending:v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;延长;(extend的现在分词) precipice:n.悬崖;绝壁;险境; emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感; Displays:v.陈列; n.陈列; bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的;
It persuades no one. 不会说服任何人。
It's then about you, the speaker, not about the listener or the receiver. 归根结底,这是关于你,演讲者, 而与听众或信息接收者无关。
Now look, in some settings, the solution is to be emotional . 的确,在某些情况下, 保持情绪化是好的解决方案。
You're arguing with your parents, and you use emotion and it works. 你如果和父母吵架, 适当表达情绪会比较有用。
persuades:vt.说服,劝说; vi.说服; adj.空闲的,有闲的; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
Why? 为什么?
Because your parents love you. 因为你的父母是爱你的,
But Supreme Court justices don't love you. 但是最高法院不爱你。
They don't like to think of themselves as the type of people persuaded by emotion. 他们不喜欢认为 自己是会被情绪影响到的人。
And I reverse engineered that insight too, setting a trap for my opponent to provoke his emotional reaction , so I could be seen as the calm and steady voice of the law. 我也对这种理解进行了反向工程, 为我的对手设置陷阱, 来激起他们的情绪化反应, 所以我自己就可以被视为 平静、稳定的法律之声。
persuaded:v.劝说;说服;使信服;使相信;(persuade的过去式和过去分词) reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的; insight:n.洞察力;洞悉; trap:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;n.陷阱;圈套;捕捉器;诡计; provoke:vt.驱使;激怒;煽动;惹起; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣;
And it worked. 这个方法奏效了。
And I remember sitting in the courtroom to learn that we had won. 我还清晰记得坐在法庭里, 得知我们赢得官司的那一刻。
That the Guantanamo tribunals were coming down. 关塔那摩官司要结束了。
And I went out onto the courthouse steps and there was a media firestorm . 我走上法院的台阶, 外面全是长枪短炮的媒体。
Five hundred cameras, and they're all asking me, "What does the decision mean, what does it say?" 有 500 个相机对着我, 都在急切地询问: “这个判决意味着什么, 它传达了什么信息?”
tribunals:n.法院(tribunal的复数); courthouse:n.法院;(美)县政府所在地; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; firestorm:n.风暴性大火,大爆发;
Well, the decision was 185 pages long. 那份判决书有 185 页长。
I hadn't had time to read it, nobody had. 我没有足够的时间去读, 其他人也没有。
But I knew what it meant. 但我知道它意味着什么。
And here's what I said on the steps of the Court. 我站在法院的台阶上说:
'"Here's what happened today. “这是今天发生的事情。
You have the lowest of the low -- this guy, who was accused of being bin Laden's driver, one of the most horrible men around. 一个无论从哪个角度 都处于极端劣势的人, 这个被指控为本·拉登, 这个世上最恶劣的 一个人的司机——
And he sued not just anyone, but the nation, indeed, the world's most powerful man, the president of the United States. 不单单是起诉了一个人, 而是起诉了世上最强大的人, 美国总统。
And he brings it not in some rinky-dink traffic court, but in the highest court of the land, the Supreme Court of the United States ... 而且这一切并不是发生在 一个普普通通的交通法庭, 而是在最高等法院, 美国的最高法院——
accused:v.控告;控诉;谴责;(accuse的过去分词和过去式) horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, sued:v.控告;提起诉讼;提出请求;(sue的过去分词和过去式) rinky-dink:adj.破旧的;小规模经营的;n.破烂;次品;
And he wins. 而且他赢了。
That's something remarkable about this country. 这就是这个国家的伟大之处。
In many other countries, this driver would have been shot, just for bringing his case. 在很多其他国家, 这个司机会因为 仅仅是提出诉讼就被枪杀。
And more of the point for me, his lawyer would have been shot. 对我来说更重要的是, 他的律师也会被枪杀。
But that's what makes America different. 但这就是美国的不同之处,
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
What makes America special." 特殊之处。”
Because of that decision, the Geneva conventions apply to the war on terror, which meant the end of ghost prisons worldwide , the end of waterboarding worldwide and an end to those Guantanamo military tribunals. 而因为这个判决, 日内瓦公约也开始 适用于恐怖袭击, 这就意味着 全世界的幽灵监狱的终结, 全世界水刑的终止, 以及关塔那摩湾 军事法庭的关闭。
By methodically building the case, and getting into the justices' heads, we were able to quite literally change the world. 通过有条不紊地立案, 影响法官的思想, 我们确实改变了世界。
Sounds easy, right? 听起来很简单吧?
You can practice a lot, avoid displays of emotion, and you, too, can win any argument. 好像通过充分练习, 避免表现出情绪, 你一样也可以赢得任何辩论。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; ghost:n.鬼,幽灵;v.作祟于;替…捉刀;为人代笔; worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地; waterboarding:n.水刑; methodically:adv.有方法地;有系统地; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
I'm sorry to say, it's not that simple, my strategies aren't foolproof , and while I've won more Supreme Court cases than most anyone, 但是很抱歉, 并没有那么容易, 我的策略并不是毫无漏洞, 虽然我赢得的最高法院官司 几乎比任何人都多,
I've also lost a lot too. 我同样也输掉了很多。
Indeed, after Donald Trump was elected, 的确,在特朗普当选之后,
I was, constitutionally speaking, terrified. 就宪法曾面来说,我吓坏了。
Please understand, this is not about Left versus Right, or anything like that. 请不要误会, 这并非左派和右派之间, 或者任何两方的对立。[07:12]
strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数) foolproof:adj.十分简单的;十分安全的;不会错的;n.极简单;安全自锁装置; Trump:n.王牌;主牌花色;v.出王牌赢(牌);;赢;胜过;打败; constitutionally:adv.本质地;体质上;天生; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
I'm not here to talk about that. 我今天不是来谈这个的。
But just a week in to the new president's term, you might remember those scenes at the airports . 各位可能还记得 新总统上任一周后 在机场的那些景象。
President Trump had campaigned on a pledge , saying, quote , "I, Donald J. Trump am calling for a complete and total shutdown of all Muslim immigration to the United States." 特朗普总统曾经许下诺言, 他的原话是: “我,唐纳德·特朗普 要求完全禁止 所有穆斯林移民入境美国。”
airports:n.[航]机场;[航]航空港(airport的复数形式); pledge:n.誓言;保证;抵押;抵押品;v.保证给予(或做);正式承诺;抵押; quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; shutdown:n.关机;停工;关门;停播; immigration:n.外来移民;移居;
And he also said, quote, "I think Islam hates us." 他还说: “我认为伊斯兰痛恨我们。”
And he made good on that promise, banning immigration from seven countries with overwhelmingly Muslim populations. 而他也真的信守了那个誓言, 禁止了七个穆斯林人口为主的 国家的移民进入美国。
My legal team and others went into court right away and sued, and got that first travel ban struck down. 我的法律团队和其他团队 立刻到法庭提起诉讼, 击退了第一个旅行禁令。
Trump revised it. 于是特朗普对其做了修改,
We went into court again and got that struck down. 我们又一次成功了。
banning:n.禁止;禁令;v.禁止;取缔;限制(ban的ing形式);adj.禁止的; overwhelmingly:adv.压倒性地;不可抵抗地; right away:立刻; revised:v.改变;修改;复习;温习;(revise的过去分词和过去式)
He revised it again, and changed it, adding North Korea, because we all know, the United States had a tremendous immigration problem with North Korea. 他又再次修正, 把朝鲜也纳入其中, 因为我们都知道, 美国有很严重的朝鲜移民问题。
But it did enable his lawyers to go to the Supreme Court and say, "See, this isn't discriminating against Muslims, it includes these other people too." 但这么做让他的律师 得以对最高法院说: “看,我们并非歧视穆斯林, 还包括了非穆斯林的国家。”
Now I thought we had the killer answer to that. 我本以为我们拥有制胜的一招。
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行; discriminating:adj.有识别力的; v.区别;
I won't bore you with the details, but the thing is, we lost. 细节就不在这里说了, 但结果是,我们输了。
Five votes to four. 五票对四票。
And I was devastated . 我心力交瘁,
I was worried my powers of persuasion had waned . 我担心我的说服力 已经在衰退。
And then, two things happened. 接下来,发生了两件事。[08:27]
bore:v.钻孔;使烦扰;n.孔;令人讨厌的人; devastated:adj.不安的,混乱的,震惊的; v.彻底破坏; (devastate的过去分词和过去式) waned:vi.衰落;变小;亏缺;退潮;消逝;n.衰退;月亏;衰退期;缺损;
The first was, 第一件是,
I noticed a part of the Supreme Court's travel ban opinion that discussed the Japanese American interment . 我注意到最高法院 对于旅行禁令的意见中, 讨论到了日裔美国人的囚禁。
That was a horrific moment in our history, in which over 100,000 Japanese Americans had been interned in camps. 那是我们历史上 很可怕的一段时期, 有超过十万名日裔美国人 曾经被关押在集中营。
My favorite person to challenge this scheme was Gordon Hirabayashi, a University of Washington student. 挑战这项阴谋的人当中, 我最欣赏的是高登平林 (Gordon Hirabayashi), 当时他还是 华盛顿大学的一名学生。
interment:n.葬礼;埋葬; interned:v.拘留,禁闭,关押;(intern的过去分词和过去式) scheme:n.计划;方案;体系;体制;阴谋;v.密谋;图谋;想;认为;
He turned himself in to the FBI, who said, "Look, you're a first-time offender , you can go home." 他向联邦调查局自首, 得到的答复是:“你是初犯, 可以直接回家了。 ”
And Gordon said, "No, I'm a Quaker , I have to resist unjust laws," 而高登却说: “不,我是贵格会教徒, 我必须对抗不公平的法律。”
and so they arrested him and he was convicted . 所以,他被逮捕,也被定了罪了。
Gordon's case made it to the Supreme Court. 高登的案子打到了最高法院。
first-time:adj.初次的,第一次的; offender:n.罪犯;冒犯者;违法者; Quaker:n.教友派信徒;贵格会教徒; resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; unjust:adj.不公平的,不公正的;非正义的; convicted:v.定罪;宣判…有罪;(convict的过去式和过去分词)
And again, I'm going to do that thing where I quash any sense of anticipation you have, and tell you what happened. 这次我还是打算开门见山, 不留任何悬念, 结果就是,
Gordon lost. 高登输了。
But he lost because of a simple reason. 但他输的理由很简单。
Because the Solicitor General, that top courtroom lawyer for the government, told the Supreme Court that the Japanese American internment was justified by military necessity. 因为检察长, 政府的顶尖法庭律师, 告诉了最高法院, 囚禁日裔美国人有正当的理由: 军事必要性。
quash:vt.撤销;镇压;宣布无效;捣碎; anticipation:n.希望;预感;先发制人;预支; internment:n.拘留;收容; justified:adj.正当的; v.证明…正确; (justify的过去式和过去分词)
And that was so, even though his own staff had discovered that there was no need for the Japanese American interment and that the FBI and the intelligence community all believed that. 就这样, 虽然他自己的工作人员发现 日裔美国人囚禁是没有必要的, 而且 FBI 及情报圈 也都对此深信不疑。
And indeed, that it was motivated by racial prejudice . 的确,那背后的动机 就是种族歧视。
His staff begged the Solicitor General, "Tell the truth, don't suppress evidence ." 他的团队成员请求副检察长: “说出真相,不要隐瞒证据。”
What did the Solicitor General do? 结果副检察长做了什么?
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; racial:adj.种族的;人种的; prejudice:n.偏见;侵害;vt.损害;使有偏见; suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
Nothing. 什么也没做。
He went in and told the "military necessity" story. 他在法庭上复述了 “军事必要性”的故事。
And so the Court upheld Gordon Hirabayashi's conviction . 因此,最高法院裁定, 对高登平林的原判决有效,
And the next year, upheld Fred Korematsu's interment. 隔年,又裁定松丰三郎 (Fred Korematsu)的囚禁判决有效。
Now why was I thinking about that? 我为什么想到了这些呢?
Because nearly 70 years later, 因为将近七十年后,
I got to hold the same office, 我的职位变成了[10:09]
upheld:v.支持(uphold的过去式); conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定;
Head of the Solicitor General's Office. 副检察长办公室主任。
And I got to set the record straight, explaining that the government had misrepresented the facts in the Japanese interment cases. 而我得以有机会把记录改正了, 解释了政府在 日本人囚禁的案件中 错误地诠释了整个事件。
And when I thought about the Supreme Court's travel ban opinion, 当我想到最高法院的 旅行禁令意见时,
I realized something. 我发现了一件事。
The Supreme Court, in that opinion, went out of its way to overrule the Korematsu case. 在那份意见书中,最高法院 特意推翻了松丰的结论。
misrepresented:adj.不如实叙述的;v.不如实地叙述(misrepresent的过去式); overrule:vt.否决;统治;对…施加影响;
Now, not only had the Justice Department said the Japanese interment was wrong, the Supreme Court said so too. 现在,不仅是司法部认为 日本人囚禁是错的, 最高法院对此也持同样的态度。
That's a crucial lesson about arguments -- timing. 这是一个关于辩论 很重要的一课——时机。
All of you, when you're arguing, have that important lever to play. 各位在辩论时 要善用这项工具。
When do you make your argument? 你要何时提出论证?
You don't just need the right argument, you need the right argument at the right moment. 你不仅需要对的论点, 你也需要在对的时机 提出对的论证。
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的; lever:n.杠杆;控制杆;v.用杠杆撬动;把…作为杠杆;
When is it that your audience -- a spouse , a boss, a child -- is going to be most receptive ? 你的观众—— 可能是配偶、老板、 孩子—— 何时最愿意接纳你的观点?
Now look, sometimes, it's totally out of your control. 有时,这完全不是你能控制的。
Delay has costs that are too extensive . 而延迟的代价太高了。
And so you've got to go in and fight and you very well may, like me, get the timing wrong. 所以你得直接上战场打仗, 你很可能就会想我一样, 没抓到对的时机。
spouse:n.配偶;vt.和…结婚; receptive:adj.善于接受的;能容纳的; extensive:adj.广泛的;大量的;广阔的;
That's what we thought in the travel ban. 我们认为旅行禁令的案例 就是如此。
And you see, the Supreme Court wasn't ready, so early in President Trump's term, to overrule his signature initiative , just as it wasn't ready to overrule FDR's Japanese American interment. 要知道, 最高法院还没准备好, 要在特朗普任期之初 推翻他的招牌倡议, 就像当初还没准备好推翻 罗斯福的日裔美国人囚禁令。
And sometimes, you just have to take the risk. 有时,你只能去冒险。
But it is so painful when you lose. 但失败的结果也让人难以承受,
And patience is really hard. 保持耐心也绝非易事。
But that reminds me of the second lesson. 但这让我想起了第二堂课。[11:38]
signature:n.署名;签名;信号; initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍; reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
Even if vindication comes later, 即使以后才能平反,
I realized how important the fight now is, because it inspires , because it educates. 我也知道立刻挺身而战 有多么重要, 因为它有鼓舞、教育的作用。
I remember reading a column by Ann Coulter about the Muslim ban. 安·库尔特(Ann Coulter)写过一篇 关于穆斯林禁令的专栏文章。
vindication:n.辩护;证明无罪; inspires:激励;赋予灵感(inspire的第三人称单数); column:n.栏目,纵队; Coulter:n.犁刀;
Here's what she said.
'"Arguing against Trump was first-generation American, “和特朗普争辩的 是第一代美国人,
Neal Katyal. 尼尔·凯泰尔。
There are plenty of 10th-generation America-haters. 有相当多第十代的美国仇恨者。
You couldn't get one of them to argue we should end our country through mass-immigration?" 你无法让他们任何一人去争辩, 我们应该通过大量移民 来让我们的国家灭亡。”
first-generation:adj.出生在美国的;原件第一代;
And that's when emotion, which is so anathema to a good argument, was important to me. 也正是在这个时候, 作为辩论大敌的情绪, 对我来说也开始变得重要了,
It took emotion outside the courtroom to get me back in. 是将情绪拒之门外, 让我重新回到了法庭。
When I read Coulter's words, I was angry. 读到库尔特的文字时,我很生气。
I rebel against the idea that being a first-generation American would disqualify me. 我很反对这个说法: 身为第一代美国人, 我没有资格为这个国家发声。
anathema:n.诅咒;革出教门;被诅咒者;令人厌恶的人; rebel:n.反政府的人;叛乱者;造反者;反抗权威者;v.造反;反抗;背叛;adj.造反的; disqualify:vt.取消…的资格;
I rebel against the idea that mass immigration would end this country, instead of recognizing that as literally the rock on which this country was built. 我也反对这个说法: 大量移民 会让这个国家灭亡, 而不承认移民其实 是美国立国的基础。
When I read Coulter, 读到库尔特的文章时,
I thought about so many things in my past. 我想到好多过去的事。
I thought about my dad, who arrived here with eight dollars from India, and didn't know whether to use the colored bathroom or the white one. 我想到我父亲, 他从印度来到这里时, 身上只有八美金, 而且不知道应该使用 有色人种还是白人的的厕所。
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词)
I thought about his first job offer, at a slaughter house. 我想到他的第一份工作 是在屠宰场。
Not a great job for a Hindu . 对印度人来说 这可不是什么好工作。
I thought about how, when we moved to a new neighborhood in Chicago with one other Indian family, that family had a cross burned on its lawn . 我想到当我们与 另一个印度家庭 搬到芝加哥一个新的居民区时, 那家人的草皮上 被烙上了十字架。
slaughter:vt.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;n.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;消灭; Hindu:adj.印度的;印度教的;n.印度人;印度教教徒; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; lawn:n.草地;草坪;
Because the racists aren't very good at distinguishing between African Americans and Hindus . 因为种族主义者不太能分辨 非裔美国人和印度人的差别。
And I thought about all the hate mail I got during Guantanamo, for being a Muslim lover . 我想到在关塔那摩 案件审理期间, 我收到的所有仇恨信件, 说我偏爱穆斯林。
Again, the racists aren't very good with distinctions between Hindus and Muslims, either. 同样的,种族主义者也不太能 分辨非裔、印度人 和穆斯林的差别。
racists:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; distinguishing:v.区分;辨别;分清;看清;认出;听出;(distinguish的现在分词) Hindus:n.印度教徒;印度教的; lover:n.爱好者;情侣;热爱者; distinctions:区别;卓越;特质;荣誉;区分;
Ann Coulter thought that being the child of an immigrant was a weakness. 安·库尔特认为, 身为移民的孩子是一种劣势。
She was profoundly , profoundly wrong. 她简直大错特错了。
It is my strength, because I knew what America was supposed to stand for. 这反而是我的优势, 因为我知道美国 本应代表的是什么。
I knew that in America, me, a child of a man who came here with eight dollars in his pocket, could stand in the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of a detested foreigner, like Osama bin Laden's driver, and win. 我知道,在美国, 我,身为来到美国时口袋里只有 八块美金的人所生的孩子, 能够站在美国最高法院里, 代表一位被憎恶的外国人, 比如本·拉登的司机, 并胜诉。
immigrant:n.(外来)移民;外侨;adj.侨民的; profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地; on behalf of:代表;为了; detested:vt.厌恶;憎恨;
And it made me realize, even though I may have lost the case, 这让我了解到, 虽然我输了穆斯林禁令案,
I was right about the Muslim ban too. 但我的论点依然是对的。
No matter what the court decided, they couldn't change the fact that immigrants do strengthen this country. 无论法庭裁决如何, 都无法改变 移民让这个国家更强大的事实。
Indeed, in many ways, immigrants love this country the most. 而且,在许多层面上, 移民反而是最热爱这个国家的人。
When I read Ann Coulter's words, 当我读到了安·库尔特的文章,
I thought about the glorious words of our Constitution. 我想到了宪法中的那神圣的文字。
No matter what:不管什么…; immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数); glorious:adj.光荣的;辉煌的;极好的;
The First Amendment . 第一修正案。
Congress shall make no law establishing religion. 国会不得针对宗教来制定法律。
I thought about our national creed , "E plurbis unum," 我想到了我们国家的格言, “E plurbis unum”,
'"out of many come one." “合众为一”。
Most of all, I realized, the only way you can truly lose an argument is by giving up. 最重要的是,我了解到, 真正能让你输掉一场辩论的, 只有放弃。[14:25]
First Amendment:n.美国宪法第一修正案(保护言论与信仰自由以及和平集会权); Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交; establishing:v.建立;创立;设立;使稳固;(establish的现在分词) creed:n.信条,教义;
So I joined the lawsuit by the US Congress challenging President Trump's addition of a citizenship question to the census . 于是,我参加了美国国会的诉讼, 挑战特朗普总统在人口普查中 增加了公民身份问题。
A decision with huge implications . 这个判决有意义深远。
It was a really hard case. 是一个难度相当高的案件。
Most thought we would lose. 大部分人都认为我们会输。
But the thing is, we won. 但是我们赢了——[14:46]
lawsuit:n.诉讼;[法]官司;诉讼案件; addition:n.添加;[数]加法;增加物; citizenship:n.[法]公民身份,公民资格;国籍;公民权; census:vt.实施统计调查;n.人口普查,人口调查; implications:n.蕴涵式;暗指,暗示;含蓄,含意;卷入(implication的复数);
Five votes to four. 五票对四票。
The Supreme Court basically said 最高法院只是说,
President Trump and his cabinet's secretary had lied. 特朗普总统和 他的内阁的秘书说了谎。
And now I've gotten back up and rejoined the fight, and I hope each of you, in your own ways, does so too. 现在,我已重整旗鼓, 重新加入战局, 我希望各位也都能 用自己的方式这么做。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; rejoined:vi.答辩;回答;重新聚合;vt.再加入;使…再结合;再回答;
I'm getting back up because I'm a believer that good arguments do win out in the end. 我重新站了起来, 因为我相信, 好的论证终究会胜出。
The arc of justice is long, and bends, often, slowly, but it bends so long as we bend it. 正义的弧线很长, 而通常弯曲得非常缓慢, 但只要我们想让它改变轨迹, 它就会改变轨迹。
And I've realized the question is not how to win every argument. 我也同样认识到,问题并不是 要如何赢得每一场辩论,
believer:n.信徒;相信的人; arc:n.弧;弧形;弓形;v.作弧形运动; so long as:adv.只要;
It's how to get back up when you do lose. 而是在输掉之后, 如何重整旗鼓。
Because in the long run , good arguments will win out. 因为,长远来看, 好的论证总会胜出。
If you make a good argument, it has the power to outlive you, to stretch beyond your core, to reach those future minds. 如果你有好的论证, 它存世的时间有可能比你还长, 延伸到你的核心价值之外, 触碰到未来人的思想。
And that's why all of this is so important. 这就是为什么 这一切如此重要。
in the long run:长远;终究; outlive:v.比…活得长;比…经久;经受住;渡过…而存在; stretch:v.伸展;延伸;伸出;舒展;n.伸展;弹性;舒展;一片;adj.有弹力的;
I'm not telling you how to win arguments for the sake of winning arguments. 我告诉各位如何赢得辩论, 并不是要为了让你们赢得辩论。
This isn't a game. 这不是场比赛。
I'm telling you this because even if you don't win right now, if you make a good argument, history will prove you right. 我要告诉各位这些, 是因为就算你现在无法取胜, 如果你有好的论证, 历史迟早也会证明你是对的。
I think back to that acting coach all the time. 我常常会回想起那位表演教练。
for the sake of:为了;为了…的利益;
And I've come to realize that the hand I was holding was the hand of justice. 我渐渐发现, 我握住的那只手,是正义的手。
That outstretched hand will come for you. 那只伸出的手会来找你。
It's your decision to push it away or to keep holding it. 由你来决定是要把它推开, 还是继续握紧它。
Thank you so much for listening. 非常大家的聆听。
outstretched:adj.伸展的; v.拉(伸)长; (outstretch的过去式和过去分词)