|
|
NatashaHurleyWalker_2016X-_射电望远镜是怎样给我们展示肉眼见不到的宇宙的_
|
Space, the final frontier. |
宇宙,无穷无尽 |
I first heard these words when I was just six years old, and I was completely inspired . |
我六岁的时候就听到了这样的话 这激励了我 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
I wanted to explore strange new worlds. |
我想探索新奇的世界 |
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
|
I wanted to seek out new life. |
新的生命 |
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
|
I wanted to see everything that the universe had to offer. |
我想了解宇宙中的每一件事物 |
And those dreams, those words, they took me on a journey ,a journey of discovery, through school, through university,to do a PhD and finally to become a professional astronomer . |
带着这些梦想,这些信念 我就踏上了追梦旅程 一个读书上大学,读博士 最后成为一个专业的天文学家的旅程 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; astronomer:n.天文学家;
|
Now, I learned two amazing things, one slightly unfortunate, when I was doing my PhD. |
目前为止,我了解了两件有趣的事情 第一件有点令我小伤心 当我读博士的时候 |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
|
I learned that the reality was |
我才知道,实际上 |
I wouldn't be piloting a starship anytime soon. |
我以后根本不能驾驶宇宙飞船 |
starship:n.星际飞船;
|
But I also learned that the universe is strange, wonderful and vast, actually too vast to be explored by spaceship. |
但是我同时也了解到宇宙是 奇妙、壮观、广阔的 实际上宇宙太大,大到用宇宙飞船根本不可能探索得完 |
explored:v.探索;勘探;考察;探险;(explore的过去式和过去分词)
|
And so I turned my attention to astronomy, to using telescopes . |
所以我把注意力转移到了天文学,用望远镜来探索宇宙 |
telescopes:n.望远镜; v.套叠; (telescope的第三人称单数)
|
Now, I show you before you an image of the night sky. |
在你们展开想象之前 我先给大家展示一下星空吧 |
You might see it anywhere in the world. |
在世界的任何地方,都能看到这样的景象 |
And all of these stars are part of our local galaxy , the Milky Way . |
这些星体是我们星系的一部分,银河系 |
galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人; Milky Way:na.[天]银河;
|
Now, if you were to go to a darker part of the sky, a nice dark site , perhaps in the desert, you might see the center of our Milky Way galaxy spread out before you,hundreds of billions of stars. |
现在如果你看一看夜空中黑暗的部分 选一个好地方观察,沙漠就行 你也许会看到银河的中心 上千亿的星体在你面前散布着 |
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址; spread out:冒火;喷火;
|
And it's a very beautiful image. |
景象极其壮观 |
It's colorful. |
五彩斑斓 |
And again, this is just a local corner of our universe. |
当然,这只是我们宇宙的 |
You can see there's a sort of strange dark dust across it. |
一个局部的中心 许多奇怪的黑色尘埃分散其中 |
Now, that is local dust that's obscuring the light of the stars. |
这些是局部尘埃 他们阻挡了其他星体发出来的光线 |
obscuring:v.使模糊;使隐晦;使费解;(obscure的现在分词)
|
But we can do a pretty good job. |
但是我们做的还不错 |
Just with our own eyes, we can explore our little corner of the universe. |
仅仅用肉眼,我们就能 探索宇宙的一个小角落 |
It's possible to do better. |
所以我们有进步的余地 |
You can use wonderful telescopes like the Hubble Space Telescope. |
你可以用神奇的哈勃空间望远镜(来探索宇宙) |
Now, astronomers have put together this image. |
现在天文学家已经把收集到的景象放在一起 |
astronomers:天文学家; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
|
It's called the Hubble Deep Field, and they've spent hundreds of hours observing just a tiny patch of the sky no larger than your thumbnail held at arm's length. |
叫做哈勃深空视场 他们花数百个小时观察这一小块天空 相当于比你整条胳膊上的一小块指甲还小的地方 |
observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词); patch:n.补丁;小片;眼罩;色斑;v.修补;打补丁;缝补; thumbnail:n.拇指指甲;极小的东西;短文;adj.极小的,极短的;
|
And in this image you can see thousands of galaxies , and we know that there must be hundreds of millions, billions of galaxies in the entire universe, some like our own and some very different. |
在这个景象中 你可以看到上千个星系 我们知道在整个宇宙中一定还存在 上亿的星系一些星系跟我们的星系相似 另一些和我们的完全不同 |
galaxies:n.银河; (galaxy的复数)
|
So you think, OK, well, |
所以你就想着,没问题啊 |
I can continue this journey. |
我可以继续研究 |
This is easy. I can just use a very powerful telescope and just look at the sky, no problem. |
很简单,我只要有一个 足够牛的望远镜就行 然后再拿它看看天空,没问题的 |
It's actually really missing out if we just do that. |
实际上,如果我们真的这么做的话 |
Now, that's because everything I've talked about so far is just using the visible spectrum , just the thing that your eyes can see, and that's a tiny slice , a tiny, tiny slice of what the universe has to offer us. |
就什么都探索不到了 因为我们到目前为止所说的一切 仅仅是用可见光看到的, 你们的眼睛就可以看到, 这只是宇宙中 很小的一部分,非常非常小 |
visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目; spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象; slice:n.片; v.切成片; (很容易地)切开;
|
Now, there's also two very important problems with using visible light. |
而且现在就可见光来说,我们也有两个 |
Not only are we missing out on all the other processes that are emitting other kinds of light, but there's two issues . |
非常重要的问题需要解决 现在不仅不能研究那些 发出其他不可见光的东西(在可见光范围内) 我们也有两个问题 |
processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); emitting:v.发出,射出,散发(光、热、声音、气等);(emit的现在分词) issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Now, the first is that dust that I mentioned earlier. |
第一个是我之前提到的尘埃 |
The dust stops the visible light from getting to us. |
这些尘埃阻挡了可见光,我们看不到后边的东西 |
So as we look deeper into the universe, we see less light. |
所以我们进一步探索宇宙的话 光线就比之前更少 |
The dust stops it getting to us. |
尘埃阻挡了光线 |
But there's a really strange problem with using visible light in order to try and explore the universe. |
在研究宇宙的过程中,我们在如何应用 可见光方面也有问题 |
Now take a break for a minute . |
我们先不说这个 |
for a minute:一会儿;
|
Say you're standing on a corner, a busy street corner. |
假设你现在站在 喧闹大街的角落,很热闹 |
There's cars going by. |
大街上的车川流不息 |
An ambulance approaches . |
这时候一辆救护车正驶来 |
ambulance:n.救护车; approaches:v.靠近,接近; n.方式,方法,态度;
|
It has a high-pitched siren . |
警报器发出尖锐的声音 |
high-pitched:adj.声调高的;声音尖锐的;紧张的;陡的; siren:n.汽笛;迷人的女人;歌声动人的女歌手;
|
(Imitates a siren passing by) |
(模仿警报声呼啸而过) |
The siren appeared to change in pitch as it moved towards and away from you. |
在警报器靠近你之后,又远离你的过程中,它的声调似乎在改变 |
The ambulance driver did not change the siren just to mess with you. |
救护车司机不是为了 引起你的注意而改变声调的 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
That was a product of your perception . |
而是你自身的感觉造成的 |
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
|
The sound waves,as the ambulance approached ,were compressed , and they changed higher in pitch. |
随着救护车的靠近 波长变短 |
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) compressed:adj.(空气或气体)压缩的; v.(被)压紧; (compress的过去式和过去分词)
|
As the ambulance receded , the sound waves were stretched , and they sounded lower in pitch. |
所以声调变高 之后救护车远离我们,波长变长 所以听起来声调比较低 |
receded:vi.后退;减弱;vt.归还; stretched:v.拉长;撑大;有弹性(或弹力);拉紧;(stretch的过去式和过去分词)
|
The same thing happens with light. |
光线同样是如此 |
Objects moving towards us, their light waves are compressed and they appear bluer. |
当物体靠近我们的时候 光波波长变得短,它们看起来更蓝 |
Objects moving away from us, their light waves are stretched,and they appear redder. |
当物体远离我们的时候 波长变长,它们看起来更红 |
So we call these effects blueshift and redshift . |
我们称此为光波的蓝移效应和红移效应 |
blueshift:un.蓝移; redshift:na.[天]红移;
|
Now, our universe is expanding , so everything is moving away from everything else, and that means everything appears to be red. |
我们的宇宙在不断扩张 所以事物之间在彼此远离 这就意味着,在我们看来,所有的事物 |
expanding:v.扩大,增加,增强细谈;详述;(expand的现在分词)
|
And oddly enough, as you look more deeply into the universe,more distant objects are moving away further and faster, so they appear more red. |
都在向红移的方向发展 有趣的是,你越向宇宙深处看 远处的物体移动的就越快越远 他们看起来就越红 |
oddly:adv.古怪地;奇妙地;单数地; distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的;
|
So if I come back to the Hubble Deep Field and we were to continue to peer deeply into the universe just using the Hubble, as we get to a certain distance away, everything becomes red, and that presents something of a problem. |
所以我们回到哈勃深空视场 通过哈勃望远镜 看向宇宙深处 我们看得越远 事物在我们的视线中就越红 这就出现问题了 |
peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详;
|
Eventually , we get so far away everything is shifted into the infrared and we can't see anything at all. |
实际上在更远处 所有的东西都转换成了红外线 我们根本什么都看不看到 |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); infrared:n.红外线;adj.红外线的;
|
So there must be a way around this. |
所以这个问题必须要解决 |
Otherwise, I'm limited in my journey. |
否则我就被困住了 |
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
|
I wanted to explore the whole universe, not just whatever I can see, you know, before the redshift kicks in. |
在红移效应困扰我之前 我想探索的是全宇宙 并不只是我用肉眼看到的 |
There is a technique . |
我们有一项技术 |
technique:n.技巧,技术;手法;
|
It's called radio astronomy . |
叫做射电天文学 |
radio astronomy:n.射电天文学;电波天文学;
|
Astronomers have been using this for decades. |
天文学家已经应用了十几年 |
It's a fantastic technique. |
这是个非常有趣的技术 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
I show you the Parkes Radio Telescope , affectionately known as "The Dish." |
这个是帕克斯射电望远镜 我们亲切的叫它“盘子” |
Radio Telescope:n.射电望远镜; affectionately:adv.亲切地;挚爱地;
|
You may have seen the movie. |
你们也许看过这个电影 |
And radio is really brilliant. |
无线电简直棒极了 |
It allows us to peer much more deeply. |
它让我们进一步探索宇宙 |
It doesn't get stopped by dust, so you can see everything in the universe, and redshift is less of a problem because we can build receivers that receive across a large band . |
我们不用被那些尘埃遮挡视线了 所以你可以看到宇宙中的任何事物 红移效应的问题也不那么棘手了因为我们有接收器 能够接受穿过岩石的射线 |
band:n.带;波段;频带;箍;v.加彩条(或嵌条等);(将价格、收入等)划分档次;
|
So what does Parkes see when we turn it to the center of the Milky Way? |
所以我们用帕克斯 看向宇宙中心的时候 |
We should see something fantastic, right? |
能看到一些有趣的东西对吧 |
Well, we do see something interesting. |
我们的确看到了一些有趣的东西 |
All that dust has gone. |
那些尘埃看不到了 |
As I mentioned, radio goes straight through dust, so not a problem. |
就像我之前说的, 无线电穿过了尘埃,所以问题解决了 |
But the view is very different. |
但是景象却变得不一样了 |
We can see that the center of the Milky Way is aglow , and this isn't starlight . |
我们能看到银河的中心在闪烁 这些并不是星光 |
aglow:adj.发红的;通红的;adv.发光地;n.发红光; starlight:n.星光;adj.有星光的;星光照耀的;
|
This is a light called synchrotron radiation , and it's formed from electrons spiraling around cosmic magnetic fields. |
这种光叫做同步加速器辐射 来自宇宙磁场周围旋转的电子 |
radiation:n.辐射;放射线;放射疗法; electrons:n.[物]电子(electron的复数形式); spiraling:adj.盘旋的; v.盘旋着上升或下降; (spiral的现在分词) cosmic:adj.宇宙的; magnetic:adj.像磁铁的;有磁性的;磁的;富有吸引力的;
|
So the plane is aglow with this light. |
所以这一平面里的光线就会闪烁 |
And we can also see strange tufts coming off of it, and objects which don't appear to line up with anything that we can see with our own eyes. |
我们也能够看到奇怪的成团的东西 以及在我们肉眼看起来 分散、没有序列的东西 |
tufts:n.塔夫茨大学(美国马萨诸塞州的一所大学);
|
But it's hard to really interpret this image, because as you can see ,it's very low resolution . |
我很难分析这个图像 因为很明显,它的分辨率非常低 |
interpret:v.诠释;说明;口译;把…理解为; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; resolution:n.解决;分辨;解析;决议;
|
Radio waves have a wavelength that's long, and that makes their resolution poorer. |
射电具有很长的波长 使其分辨率更低 |
wavelength:n.[物]波长;
|
This image is also black and white , so we don't really know what is the color of everything in here. |
而且这个图像还是黑白的 所以我们不知道那些景象到底是什么颜色的 |
black and white:adj.印刷的;黑白混合的;用笔写的;
|
Well, fast-forward to today. |
快进到当下, |
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
|
We can build telescopes which can get over these problems. |
我们建造的望远镜 能克服这些问题了 |
Now, I'm showing you here an image of the Murchison Radio Observatory , a fantastic place to build radio telescopes. |
这是来默奇森射电天文观测台的照片 这是一个建造射电望远镜的好地方 |
Observatory:n.天文台;气象台;瞭望台;
|
It's flat, it's dry, and most importantly , it's radio quiet: no mobile phones, no Wi-Fi , nothing, just very, very radio quiet, so a perfect place to build a radio telescope. |
很平坦,很干燥 最重要的是,不受其他无线电的干扰 没有移动电话,没有无线网,什么都没有 十分十分清净 作为搭建射电望远镜的地方堪称完美 |
and most importantly:最主要的是…; mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; Wi-Fi:abbr.无线保真技术(wirelessfidelity);无线上网技术;
|
Now, the telescope that I've been working on for a few years is called the Murchison Widefield Array , and I'm going to show you a little time lapse of it being built. |
现在这个我已经使用好几年的望远镜 叫做默奇森广角阵列 这是它一点点建造的过程 |
Array:n.数组,阵列;排列,列阵;大批,一系列;衣服;v.排列,部署;打扮; lapse:n.(一时的)走神,判断错误;
|
This is a group of undergraduate and postgraduate students located in Perth. |
这是一群在珀斯的大学本科生和研究生 |
undergraduate:n.本科生; postgraduate:n.研究生,研究所学生;adj.大学毕业后的; located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式)
|
We call them the Student Army, and they volunteered their time to build a radio telescope. |
我们叫他们学生军 他们牺牲自己的时间来 建造这个射电望远镜 |
volunteered:v.自愿做;义务做;自愿参军;(volunteer的过去分词和过去式)
|
There's no course credit for this. |
没有课程学分 |
And they're putting together these radio dipoles . |
这些学生把偶极子组装起来 |
dipoles:n.[物化]偶极;[物]偶极子(dipole的复数);偶极天线;
|
They just receive at low frequencies , a bit like your FM radio or your TV. |
它们能像调频收音机或者 电视一样接收低频信号 |
frequencies:n.频率;发生率;重复率;频繁;(frequency的复数)
|
And here we are deploying them across the desert. |
我们把它们建在了沙漠里 |
deploying:v.部署,调度(军队或武器);有效地利用;调动;(deploy的现在分词)
|
The final telescope covers 10 square kilometers of the Western Australian desert. |
最后一部分占澳大利亚西部沙漠的10平方公里 |
And the interesting thing is,there's no moving parts. |
有趣的是,它们不能移动 |
We just deploy these little antennas essentially on chicken mesh . |
我们把这些小天线 放在在六角形的网上 |
antennas:n.[电讯]天线,[动]触角(antenna的复数形式); essentially:adv.本质上;本来; mesh:n.网格;网状物;陷阱;困境;圈套;v.(使)吻合,相配,匹配,适合;
|
It's fairly cheap. |
成本相当的低 |
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直;
|
Cables take the signals from the antennas and bring them to central processing units. |
天线上的电缆 接收信号 然后把信号传递给中央处理器 |
Cables:n.缆绳;钢索;电缆;电报;v.发电报;(cable的第三人称单数和复数) processing:v.加工;处理;审核;数据处理;v.列队行进;缓缓前进;(process的现在分词)
|
And it's the size of this telescope, the fact that we've built it over the entire desert that gives us a better resolution than Parkes. |
这样的望远镜遍布整个沙漠 它的占地面积使它在 处理问题能力的方面 比帕克斯的望远镜更好 |
Now, eventually all those cables bring them to a unit which sends it off to a supercomputer here in Perth, and that's where I come in. |
所有的电缆最后汇成一股 把信息传递到珀斯的 一个超级计算机上 那就是我要工作的部分 |
supercomputer:n.[计]巨型计算机,超级计算机;
|
(Sighs) |
(叹气) |
Radio data. |
研究无线电数据 |
I have spent the last five years working with very difficult,very interesting data that no one had really looked at before. |
过去五年的时间 我一直在研究这些困难却有趣 之前没有人了解过的数据 |
I've spent a long time calibrating it, running millions of CPU hours on supercomputers and really trying to understand that data. |
我在这个超级计算机上花了 数以百万计的CPU时数校对 并试图弄清楚这些数据 |
calibrating:v.标定;校正(calibrate的ing形式);校检读定; supercomputers:n.[计]巨型计算机,超级计算机;
|
And with this telescope, with this data, we've performed a survey of the entire southern sky, the GaLactic and Extragalactic All-sky MWA Survey, or GLEAM, as I call it. |
通过这套望远镜 这些数据 我们对整个南半球的 星空做了一番仔细观察银河系及超银河系默奇森 广角阵列全天候研究,或者简称GLEAM |
performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式) survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; Extragalactic:adj.银河系外的;
|
And I'm very excited. |
我非常兴奋 |
This survey is just about to be published, but it hasn't been shown yet, so you are literally the first people to see this southern survey of the entire sky. |
这个研究结果快要公之于世了 但是目前还没有 所以你们还算是第一批了解这些 关于南半球星空研究的人 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
So I'm delighted to share with you some images from this survey. |
我也很高兴分享给你们 研究中的部分图像 |
delighted:adj.高兴的; v.使高兴; (delight的过去分词和过去式) images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Now, imagine you went to the Murchison, you camped out underneath the stars and you looked towards the south. |
现在,请想象一下你们就在默奇森 在满天星斗下露营 你抬头仰望南部星空 |
underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
|
You saw the south's celestial pole, the galaxy rising. |
看到了南极 看到银河在上升 |
celestial:adj.天上的,天空的;n.神仙,天堂里的居民;
|
If I fade in the radio light, this is what we observe with our survey. |
如果我让射电光弱一点 就会看到我们研究中所观察到的景象 |
fade:v.褪色; adj.平淡的; n.[电影][电视]淡出; observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视;
|
You can see that the galactic plane is no longer dark with dust. |
你会看到银河不再黑乎乎的充满尘埃 |
It's alight with synchrotron radiation, and thousands of dots are in the sky. |
它被星空中数以千计的点点 和同步加速器辐射点亮 |
alight:vi.下来;飞落;adj.烧着的;点亮着的;
|
Our large Magellanic Cloud,our nearest galactic neighbor, is orange instead of its more familiar blue-white. |
广袤的,靠近我们星系的麦哲伦云 其实是橘色的,而不是接近蓝白色的 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
So there's a lot going on in this. |
这里面有很多的东西值得研究 |
Let's take a closer look. |
让我们放大看一下 |
If we look back towards the galactic center, where we originally saw the Parkes image that I showed you earlier, low resolution, black and white, and we fade to the GLEAM view, you can see the resolution has gone up by a factor of a hundred. |
如果我们想想看我刚刚给你们展示的 帕克森拍摄的银河中心的景象 低分辨率,黑白色的 然后再看GLEAM的图像 你们会发现这个分辨率提升了一百倍 |
originally:adv.原来;起初; factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
|
We now have a color view of the sky, a technicolor view. |
我们看到的是充满色彩的星空 五彩斑斓 |
technicolor:n.(美)[印刷][摄]彩色印片法;鲜艳的色彩;彩色电影;
|
Now, it's not a false color view. |
这些颜色并不是有偏差的颜色 |
These are real radio colors. |
他们是真正的无线电波发射出来的颜色 |
What I've done is I've colored the lowest frequencies red and the highest frequencies blue, and the middle ones green. |
我们已经实现把低频率的显示成红色 把高频率的显示成蓝色 中间频率偏绿色 |
And that gives us this rainbow view. |
这就给我们呈现了五颜六色的景象 |
rainbow:n.彩虹
|
And this isn't just false color. |
这些也不仅仅是伪色 |
The colors in this image tell us about the physical processes going on in the universe. |
这个图片里的颜色是在显示 宇宙中事物的物理过程 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
|
So for instance , if you look along the plane of the galaxy, it's alight with synchrotron, which is mostly reddish orange, but if we look very closely, we see little blue dots. |
举个例子,如果你看向银河的一个平面 同步加速器使它变亮 呈现出带鲜红的橙色画面 但是我们仔细再看一下 我们会看到蓝色的点 |
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; reddish:adj.微红的;略带红色的;
|
Now, if we zoom in, these blue dots are ionized plasma around very bright stars, and what happens is that they block the red light, so they appear blue. |
现在,我们再放大 这些蓝色的点实际上就是离子化等离子体 它们在明亮的星体周围并且挡住了红色光线 所以它们看起来是蓝色的 |
ionized:adj.[化学][物]电离的;已电离的;v.使电离,电离(ionize的过去式); plasma:n.[等离子]等离子体;血浆;[矿物]深绿玉髓;
|
And these can tell us about these star-forming regions in our galaxy. |
我们通过这些可以知道在我们银河中 形成星体的地方 |
regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数)
|
And we just see them immediately. |
并且一下子就能看出来 |
We look at the galaxy, and the color tells us that they're there. |
因为当我们望向宇宙 颜色就会告诉我们它们在那儿 |
You can see little soap bubbles , little circular images around the galactic plane, and these are supernova remnants . |
你们还能在这一银河平面中看到 小的,肥皂泡一样的圆形图像 这些是超新星残余物 |
bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数) circular:adj.圆形的; n.(同时送达很多人的)印刷信函(或通知、广告); supernova:n.超新星; remnants:n.残余;残留物(remnant的复数);adj.残存的;
|
When a star explodes , its outer shell is cast off and it travels outward into space gathering up material, and it produces a little shell. |
当一个星体爆炸的时候 它的外表壳就会被炸开 然后这颗星体会飘忽在宇宙中 聚合其他的物质 |
explodes:v.爆炸,爆发;激增; outer:adj.外面的,外部的;远离中心的;n.环外命中; shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill; outward:n.外表; adj.表面的; v.同"outwards.outwardandhomeward";
|
It's been a long-standing mystery to astronomers where all the supernova remnants are. |
由此形成新的小的保护壳 对天文学家来讲 那些超新星残余物的去向 |
long-standing:adj.长期存在的;存在已久的;
|
We know that there must be a lot of high-energy electrons in the plane to produce the synchrotron radiation that we see, and we think they're produced by supernova remnants, but there don't seem to be enough. |
一直是一个神秘的过程 我们都知道在宇宙空间中 一定有许多高能电子 它们产生我们所看见的 同步加速器辐射,我们认为它们是由超新星残余物产生的 但是它们看起来好像还不是很多 |
high-energy:高能的;
|
Fortunately , GLEAM is really, really good at detecting supernova remnants, so we're hoping to have a new paper out on that soon. |
幸运的是,GLEAM能够非常非常准确的 探测到超新星残余物 所以我们有望于 这一方面研究成果的产生 |
Fortunately:adv.幸运地; detecting:n.检测;检定;v.发现;探知(detect的现在分词);adj.探测的;
|
Now, that's fine. |
好,我们再继续说 |
We've explored our little local universe, but I wanted to go deeper,I wanted to go further. |
我们已经探索了我们的局部宇宙 但是我想更进一步的探索,深入研究 |
I wanted to go beyond the Milky Way. |
我想探索银河以外的宇宙 |
Well, as it happens, we can see a very interesting object in the top right, and this is a local radio galaxy, |
现在在图片的右上方我们能够看到 一个很有意思的东西 这是局部电波星系 |
Centaurus A. |
半人马座A |
If we zoom in on this, we can see that there are two huge plumes going out into space. |
如果我们放大来看 我们能够看到两片巨大的羽毛一样的东西 |
plumes:羽状物;
|
And if you look right in the center between those two plumes,you'll see a galaxy just like our own. |
然后你们再看两片羽毛的中间 你会看到和一个我们银河很像的星系 |
It's a spiral. It has a dust lane . |
它是螺旋状的,有一条尘埃带 |
lane:n.车道;小巷;泳道;胡同;
|
It's a normal galaxy. |
就是一个普通的星系 |
But these jets are only visible in the radio. |
但是这些星点只能在无线电中才能看到 |
If we looked in the visible, we wouldn't even know they were there, and they're thousands of times larger than the host galaxy. |
如果我们用肉眼看的话 根本不知道它们在那里 他们比主星系还要大上千倍 |
What's going on? |
那么发生了什么 |
What's producing these jets? |
这些星点是从哪里来的呢 |
At the center of every galaxy that we know about is a supermassive black hole . |
我们都知道每个星系中心 都有一个超级大的黑洞 |
supermassive:adj.特大质量的; black hole:n.黑洞(宇宙中包括光线在内的任何东西都无法逃逸的强引力区域);
|
Now, black holes are invisible . |
黑洞是不可见的 |
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
|
That's why they're called that. |
这就是为什么叫做黑洞 |
All you can see is the deflection of the light around them, and occasionally , when a star or a cloud of gas comes into their orbit , it is ripped apart by tidal forces, forming what we call an accretion disk. |
你们能看见的只有 它们周围改变轨迹的光线 当一颗星体或者一团星云进入其轨道 就会被潮汐力分裂 形成我们所说的吸积盘 |
deflection:n.偏向;挠曲;偏差; occasionally:adv.偶尔;有时候;偶然; orbit:n.轨道;眼眶;势力范围;生活常规;vi.盘旋;绕轨道运行;vt.绕…轨道而行; tidal:adj.潮汐的;潮的,有关潮水的;定时涨落的; accretion:n.添加;增加物;连生;冲积层;
|
The accretion disk glows brightly in the x-rays, and huge magnetic fields can launch the material into space at nearly the speed of light. |
吸积盘在X光下很明亮 并且巨大的磁场可以让物质 以光速进入宇宙空间 |
glows:n.发光(glow的复数);v.发光(glow的第三人称单数形式); brightly:明亮地 launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射;
|
So these jets are visible in the radio and this is what we pick up in our survey. |
所以这些星点对无线电可见 这就是我们的研究成果 |
Well, very well, so we've seen one radio galaxy. That's nice. |
所以我们现在看到的是 一个电波星系,很不错 |
But if you just look at the top of that image, you'll see another radio galaxy. |
但是我们再看最上方 也有一个电波星系 |
It's a little bit smaller,and that's just because it's further away. |
这个就小一点了,因为离我们较远 |
OK. Two radio galaxies. |
好了,两个星系了 |
We can see this. This is fine. |
我们能够看到这样,很不错了 |
Well, what about all the other dots? |
那么剩下那些点怎么办呢 |
Presumably those are just stars. |
你们可能会觉得那些就是星体 |
Presumably:adv.大概;推测起来;可假定;
|
They're not. |
但你们错了 |
They're all radio galaxies. |
那些都是电波星系 |
Every single one of the dots in this image is a distant galaxy, millions to billions of light-years away with a supermassive black hole at its center pushing material into space at nearly the speed of light. |
每一个在这上面成点状的 都是一个遥远的星系 离我们数十亿光年远 这些星系的中心也是把物质以光速 甩进宇宙空间的黑洞 |
light-years:n.光年;
|
It is mind-blowing . |
很令人兴奋 |
mind-blowing:adj.使兴奋的;引起幻觉的;
|
And this survey is even larger than what I've shown here. |
我展示的只是研究成果的冰山一角 |
If we zoom out to the full extent of the survey, you can see I found 300,000 of these radio galaxies. |
如果我把整个研究成果都展示出来 你会看到30万个这样的无线电星系 |
to the full:充分地;完全地; extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
|
So it's truly an epic journey. |
的确是个费劲的活儿 |
epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品;
|
We've discovered all of these galaxies right back to the very first supermassive black holes. |
我们对所有这些星系的 研究都追溯到了最早的超质量黑洞 |
I'm very proud of this, and it will be published next week. |
我很为之自豪 下周研究成果就会公开 |
Now, that's not all. |
这还不是全部 |
I've explored the furthest reaches of the galaxy with this survey, but there's something even more in this image. |
我已经探究了迄今为止宇宙的最深处 但在这幅图像之外还有很多信息 |
furthest:v.最远地; adj.最远的;
|
Now, I'll take you right back to the dawn of time. |
现在我们回顾一下时间伊始 |
dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟;
|
When the universe formed,it was a big bang , which left the universe as a sea of hydrogen , neutral hydrogen. |
宇宙形成之时经历了大爆炸 留下一片氢的汪洋 中性氢 |
bang:n.猛敲; v.猛敲; v.正好; hydrogen:n.氢;氢气; neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的;
|
And when the very first stars and galaxies switched on , they ionized that hydrogen. |
当第一个星系形成的时候 它们把氢气电离了 |
switched on:开着(开关)的;
|
So the universe went from neutral to ionized. |
所以宇宙从中性不带电变成了电离的了 |
That imprinted a signal all around us. |
我们周围就产生了电信号 |
imprinted:adj.印花的;盖印的;v.压印(imprint的过去分词);刻上记号;盖印;
|
Everywhere, it pervades us, like the Force. |
无形中像力一样渗透到了 我们周围 |
pervades:vt.遍及;弥漫;
|
Now, because that happened so long ago, the signal was redshifted, so now that signal is at very low frequencies. |
因为这是很长很长以前发生的事情了 现在那些信号已经红移了 所以是低频的 |
It's at the same frequency as my survey, but it's so faint . |
和我研究的是一样的频率 但是这频率太微弱了 |
frequency:n.频率;发生率;重复率;频繁; faint:n.昏厥;v.昏厥;adj.昏眩;(光,声,味)微弱的;微小的;可能性不大的;
|
It's a billionth the size of any of the objects in my survey. |
是我们研究的物体频率的十亿分之一 |
billionth:adj.十亿分之一的;第十亿的;n.十亿分之一;第十亿;
|
So our telescope may not be quite sensitive enough to pick up this signal. |
所以我们的望远镜并不能很灵敏的 探索到这些信号 |
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人;
|
However, there's a new radio telescope. |
然而,又有了新的射电望远镜 |
So I can't have a starship, but I can hopefully have one of the biggest radio telescopes in the world. |
所以虽然我不能乘坐宇宙飞船 但是我很高兴拥有 世界上最大的射电望远镜 |
We're building the Square Kilometre Array,a new radio telescope, and it's going to be a thousand times bigger than the MWA, a thousand times more sensitive, and have an even better resolution. |
我们正在建平方公里阵列射电望远镜 一个新的射电望远镜 比默契森广角阵列还大上千倍 灵敏上千倍,效果也更好 |
So we should find tens of millions of galaxies. |
所以我们会发现数千万的星系 |
And perhaps, deep in that signal, |
或许,再深入研究那些信号 |
I will get to look upon the very first stars and galaxies switching on, the beginning of time itself. |
我们会发现宇宙中形成的 第一颗星体和星系 以及时间诞生的那一刻 |
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |