返回首页

NaomiMcDougallJones_2016X-_女性在好莱坞的境遇是怎样的_

I'm going to begin today with a story and end with a revolution . 今天我要以一个故事开始 并以一场革命结束
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Are you ready? 你们准备好了吗?
Audience: Yes! (观众)准备好了!
Naomi McDougall-Jones: Here's the story. 故事是这样的
All my life I wanted to be an actress. 我这一生一直想成为一个演员
From the time I was very small, I could feel the magic of storytelling and I wanted to be a part of it. 在我很小的时候,我就能够感受到讲故事的魔力 我也想成为其中的一部分
storytelling:n.讲故事;说谎话;adj.讲故事的;说谎的;
So, at the ripe age of 21, 于是,在21岁的成熟年纪
ripe:adj.成熟的;口味浓郁的;醇美可口的;强烈的;
I graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed , and ready to take my rightful place as the next Meryl Streep. 我从纽约市的美国戏剧艺术学院毕业 眼睛明亮,扎着马尾辫,准备好了抵达我应有的位置 成为下一个梅丽·史翠普
Academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校; Dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的; bright-eyed:adj.眼睛明亮的;热情的; bushy-tailed:adj.(像狐狸尾巴那样)松软的;模糊的,不肯定的; rightful:adj.合法的;正当的;公正的;正直的;
That's my grandmother, not Meryl Streep. 那是我的祖母,不是梅丽·史翠普
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now, it's important for this story that you understand that I was raised by a raging feminist . 重要的是,你们要知道在这个故事里 我是被一个愤怒的女权主义者抚养长大的
raging:adj.愤怒的,狂暴的;v.发怒,恼火(rage的现在分词); feminist:n.男女平等主义者;adj.主张男女平等的;
I mean, just to give you some idea: when I was five or six years old and obsessed with "The Sound of Music," 举个例子 在我五六岁着迷于“音乐之声”的时候
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
my mother sat me down for a very serious conversation and she said, "OK, look. 我母亲让我坐下和我进行了一次严肃的谈话 她说,你看
I'm not going to say that you can't sing that song, but if you are going to sing that song, I do need you to understand the extremely problematic gender construct that it reinforces ." 我不是说你不能唱这首歌 但是如果你一定要唱,我需要你明白 它强化了极有问题的性别构架
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; problematic:adj.问题的;有疑问的;不确定的; gender:n.性别; construct:v.建造;创建;建筑;修建;n.概念;构筑物;结构体;建造物; reinforces:加固;加强;增援;巩固;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So that's where I come from. 这就是我的成长背景
So it just honestly never even occurred to me that I would be prevented from doing anything in my life because I'm a woman. 所以诚实地讲,我从来没有预想过 仅仅因为我是女性 我会被阻止做任何我想要做的事情
occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
OK. So I graduate. 毕业之后
And I start auditioning and I get work, slowly. 我开始面试,慢慢开始接到一些工作
auditioning:v.试演;试唱;试音;(audition的现在分词)
But I just start noticing that the parts available for women are terrible. 但同时我开始认识到,可供女性扮演的角色 是非常糟糕的
But, remember -- I came here to play smart, willful , complicated , interesting complex , confident female characters, right? 要记得,我来这里是想要扮演 聪明的、恣意的、丰富的、有趣的 复杂的以及自信的女性角色,对吧?
willful:adj.有意的;任性的;故意的; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; confident:adj.自信的;确信的; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
Like Meryl. 就像梅丽那样
And all of the sudden, 可是突然之间
I am wrestling with 300 other gorgeous , talented women to play ... 我在和其他300个优秀的、有才华的女性竞争 为了表演这样的戏份……
wrestling:n.摔跤运动;v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的现在分词) gorgeous:adj.华丽的,灿烂的;极好的;
'"[Female] No dialogue. “[女性]没有台词。”
The character only needs to stand on a balcony , look forlorn , and walk back inside the house. “该角色只需要站在阳台上,” “神情绝望,然后走回到房间里。”
balcony:n.阳台;包厢;戏院楼厅; forlorn:adj.被遗弃的;绝望的;孤独的;
Only partial nudity ." “只有部分身体裸露。”
partial:adj.部分的;不完整的;片面的;有偏见的; nudity:n.裸露;裸体像;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"[Sarah] Brian's love interest . “[莎拉]布莱恩的恋爱兴趣对象。”
love interest:n.(电影或小说中的)恋爱角色(常为主角的情人);
Attractive , cute, and flirty , she is the ideal girl and Brian's prize throughout the entire film." “引人注意,可爱,娇媚,她是布莱恩在整部影片中” “理想类型的女孩和奖品。”
Attractive:adj.吸引人的;有魅力的;引人注目的; flirty:adj.轻浮的; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
'"[Mom] A proper Southern belle who is making peace with the fact that her only purpose in life is to tend to her husband." “[母亲]一位端庄的南部美女” “妥协于她生命中唯一的目的就是服侍她的丈夫这个事实。”
Southern belle:n.(美国)南方美女;
'"[Abby] Must be OK with a tastefully shot gang rape , along with performing 19th-century dance." “[艾比]要能够欣然接受一场轮奸,” “同时会表演19世纪的舞蹈。”
tastefully:adv.雅致地;高雅地; gang rape:轮奸; performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Those are actual casting notices. 这些是真实的剧本笔记
And so I just mentioned this to my agent one day, 于是有一天我对我的经纪人提起这个事
agent:n.代理人,代理商;药剂;特工;v由…作中介;由…代理;adj.代理的;
I say, "I feel like I'm not really going in for parts that I'm actually excited about playing. 我说,我觉得我并没有真正在扮演 那些我真正为之兴奋的角色
And he said, "Yeah. I don't really know what to do with you. 然后他说,是的,我不知道该拿你怎么办
You're too smart for the parts that are being written for women in their 20s, and you're not quite pretty enough to be the hot one, so I think you'll work when you're 35." 你对于这些为20多岁的女性设定的角色来说 显得太聪明了 但你又没有漂亮到足够扮演性感的角色 所以我想你应该35岁的时候再来工作
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I said, "Oh. That's funny. 然后我说,噢,真有趣
I always thought that when you were 35, you were kind of, like, over the hill as an actress, that you were relegated to playing 20-year-olds' mothers." 我还一直以为当你35岁的时候,就有点 成为过气的女演员 沦落到扮演25岁角色的母亲这样的角色
over the hill:已过壮年的;走下坡路; relegated:v.使贬职;使降级;降低…的地位;(relegate的过去分词和过去式)
And he said, "Yeah -- 然后他说,是的
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's just the way it is." 事情就是如此
So, maybe a year or so after this, 大概这之后的一年左右
I'm having lunch with an actress friend of mine, and we're talking about how insane this is. 我和我的一位女性演员朋友共进午餐 我们在谈论这件事是多么疯狂
insane:adj.疯狂的;精神病的;极愚蠢的;
And we decide, you know what? No problem. 然后我们决定说,没问题
We'll just make our own movie. 我们来为自己做电影
And I'll write and then I'll write it about two complex female characters. 我来写剧本,写关于两个复杂的女性角色的故事
So we do. 于是我们这样做了
We set out to make this movie, and sort of accidentally , we end up hiring an all-female production team: the writer, directors, producers, and it's a film about two women. 我们着手开始去做这个电影 然后我们机缘巧合地组建了一个全部由女性组成的团队: 剧作家、导演、制片人 而且这部片子也是关于两个女人的
accidentally:adv.意外地:偶然,偶然地;
And so pretty soon, we're sitting in the office of a successful male producer, and he goes, "OK, girls. 过了不久,我们坐在 一个成功的男制片人的办公室里 他说好吧女孩们,你们要知道
So, you do understand that at some point you are going to have to hire a male producer onboard , right? 在某个时刻你们总会需要 雇一个男制片人入伙的,对吧
onboard:adv.在船上;在飞机上;在板上;adj.随车携带的;
Just so that people will trust you with their money." 好让别人放心地把钱交给你
Over and over again , people tell us, "Yeah, but people don't really want to see films about women, so maybe you should think about making something else. 一次又一次,总有人告诉我们 好吧,但是人们并不想看关于女性的电影 所以你们可能要考虑做些别的东西
Over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
It's just the way it is." 事情就是如此
So we make the movie, anyway. 无论如何我们还是做了这个电影
We scrape together 80,000 dollars, and we make it, and it does so well. 我们筹集了8万dao5,做出了这部电影 结果它大受欢迎
scrape:v.刮掉;削去;擦坏;擦伤;刮坏;n.擦伤;刮擦声;擦痕;
It gets into tons of festivals and we win a lot of awards and it's big and exciting. 它入选了无数的电影节,也赢得了许多奖项 它很有影响力,令人激动
But these experiences I've had just keep rubbing at me. 我经历过的那些情境还是不断地出现
rubbing:v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互摩擦;摩擦;(rub的现在分词)
And so, I just start talking about them, first, at Q and A's after screenings of the film, and then I get invited to be on panels and talk at conferences . 所以我就开始公开地谈论这些现象 先是在电影放映后的问答环节 然后我受邀在各种活动中去做访谈
screenings:n.筛后残余的物;[建]筛屑;残渣; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式); conferences:n.会议(conference的复数形式);
And the really amazing thing is that, to begin with, when I'm just talking to audiences and other people, you know, coming up in the film industry, the universal reaction is, "Oh my god! This is terrible. What do we do about this?" 非常令人意外的是 当我在和观众对谈的时候 其他电影行业的人 他们的反应如出一辙
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
But the bigger panels I get on, suddenly an Oscar nominee tells me, "Look, I totally agree with everything you're saying. 但是随着我参加的访谈规模越来越大 突然一个奥斯卡提名者告诉我 我完全同意你所说的一切观点
nominee:n.被任命者;被提名的人;代名人;
You just need to be really careful about where you say it." 但是你真的要当心在什么场合说这些话
An Oscar-winning producer tells me that she doesn't think it's a good idea to play the woman card. 一个获得奥斯卡奖项的制片人告诉我 她认为打女性主义牌不是个好主意
It's just the way it is. 事情本就是这样的
And I think this is how sexism continues on in 2016, right? 我想性别歧视就是这样在2016年仍在延续的吧
sexism:n.(针对女性的)性别歧视;男性至上主义;
For the most part , it happens casually -- unconsciously , even. 大部分情况下,它是以寻常的方式发生的 甚至是下意识的
For the most part:adv.在极大程度上,多半; casually:adv.偶然;临时; unconsciously:adv.不知不觉;无意识地;
It happens because people are just trying to get along within an existing system. 性别歧视会发生
It happens, maybe, out of a genuine desire to teach a young woman the way that the world "just is." 也许是出于真正的愿望 去教导一个年轻的女性
genuine:adj.真实的,真正的;诚恳的;
The problem is that unless we do something about it, that is the way the world will always be. 问题在于,除非我们对此做些什么 否则世界永远会是这个样子
So why should you care about this? 所以为什么你们应该来关心这个问题
Right? 对不对
I mean, we're facing some rather significant problems in the world just at present, what does it really matter if I can't get a job, or you're stuck watching " Transformer 17," right? 显然我们当下正面临着一些相对更加重要的世界问题 如果我找不到工作 而你只能选择看《变形金刚17》
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; Transformer:n.[电]变压器;促使变化的人;
(Laughter)
Well, let me put it to you this way: the year "Jaws" came out, 好吧,那我这么说吧, 《大白鲨》上映的那年
Americans suddenly started listing "sharks" among their top 10 major fears. 美国人突然开始把“鲨鱼”列入他们的十大恐惧对象
In 1995, BMW paid the James Bond franchise three million dollars to have James Bond switch from driving an Aston Martin to a BMW Z3. 1995年,宝马支付了詹姆斯·邦德特许经营权三百万美元 让詹姆斯·邦德把座驾从阿斯顿·马丁换成宝马Z3
franchise:n.特权;公民权;经销权;v.给…以特许(或特权);赋予公民权;
That one move caused so many people to go out and buy that car, that BMW made 240 million dollars in pre-sales alone. 只一个举动,就招致许多人前来买这款车 以至于宝马在仅预售中就盈利了2.4亿美元
The year that "Brave" and "Hunger Games" came out, female participation in archery went up 105 percent. 《勇敢传说》和《饥饿游戏》上映的那年 女性群体在射箭活动中的参与度提高到了105%
participation:n.参与;分享;参股; archery:n.箭术;
(Laughter) (笑声)
In fact, studies show that the movies you watch don't just affect your hobbies, they affect your career choices, your emotions , your sense of identity , your relationships, your mental health -- even your marital status . 事实上,有研究表明 人们看的电影不仅会影响他们的爱好 它们还会影响职业选择、情绪、身份感 关系、精神健康,甚者婚姻状况
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; marital status:n.婚姻状况;
So now, consider this: if you have watched mostly American movies in your lifetime, 95 percent of all the films you have ever seen were directed by men. 所以设想一下 如果你一生中所看的电影主要是美国电影 所有这些电影中有95%的影片 是由男性来导演的
Somewhere between 80 and 90 percent of all of the leading characters that you have ever seen were men. 你所看到的所有主角中有80%到90%的主角都是男性
And even if we just talk about the last five years, 55 percent of the time that you have seen a woman in a movie, she was naked or scantily clad . 即使我们只看过去五年 你看到电影中的女性角色出现 她都是裸体或者穿着暴露的
naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的; scantily:adv.缺乏地;吝啬地;不充足地; clad:adj.穿衣的; vt.在金属外覆以另一种金属; v.穿衣(clothe的过去式和过去分词);
That affects you. 这会影响你
That affects all of us. 这会影响我们所有人
We actually can't even imagine how much it affects us, because this is all we've ever had. 我们甚至不能想象这到底对我们有多大影响 因为我们一直以来只有这些
Stories -- and movies are just modern stories -- are not frivolous . 故事 还有电影 只是现代故事 它们不是肤浅的
frivolous:adj.无聊的;轻佻的;琐碎的;
They're actually the mechanism through which we process our experience of being alive. 它们其实是我们体验生活经验的方式
mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
They're the way that we understand the world and our place in it. 它们是我们理解世界 和理解我们在其中的位置的方式
They're the way we develop empathy for people who have experiences different than our own. 它们是我们为那些和我们有不同经历的人 产生同理心的方式
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; different than:不同于;
And right now, all of that is being funneled at us through the prism of this one perspective . 而现在 所有这些东西 都是通过这种单一视角的棱角向我们汇聚的
funneled:adj.漏斗形的; v.经过或流过漏斗(funnel的过去式和过去分词); prism:n.棱镜;[晶体][数]棱柱; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
It's not that it's a bad perspective, but don't we deserve to hear them all? 并不是说这个视角不好 但是难道我们不应该有权听到不同的声音吗
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
How would the world be different if all of the stories were told? 如果所有的故事都被讲出来 世界会多么不同
So what do we do about this? 所以我们要怎么做?
This may be the first time a lot of you are hearing about this, but a lot of us within the film industry have spent years -- a lot of people, a lot longer than I have -- 这也许是你们中许多人第一次听说这个 但是我们有很多投身电影行业许的人花了很多年 ---许多人,比我投入要久得多
giving speeches and doing panels and writing articles and doing studies, and really just yelling at Hollywood to do a better job about this. 他们发表演讲、参加访谈、 撰写文章 以及从事研究工作 甚至叫骂好莱坞叫他们在这点上做好一点
I mean, we have really yelled at them. 我们真的冲他们叫骂过。
And yet, Paramount and Fox recently released their slates , and of the 47 films that they will release between now and 2018, not a single one will be directed by a woman. 然而最近派拉蒙和福克斯公布了他们的候选名单 从现在起到2018年之间将要上映的47部影片中 没有一部电影是由女性执导的
Paramount:adj.最重要的,主要的;至高无上的;n.最高统治者; recently:adv.最近;新近; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) slates:n.[地质]石板(slate的复数形式); vt.用石板瓦盖…;
So it is beginning to occur to me that waiting for Hollywood to grow a conscience may not actually be a winning strategy . 所以我开始察觉到 想要等好莱坞有这个觉醒 其实不是一个能赢的策略。
conscience:n.道德心,良心; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
In fact, it seems to me that whenever there is a small, ruling class of people who have all of the money and power and resources , they're not actually that excited about giving it up. 实际上,在我看来 只要有一些有权有势有资源 的一小部分统治阶层的人存在, 他们其实一点儿都不想放弃这些。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
And so you don't get change by asking them or even yelling at them. 所以即使你问他们或甚至对他们大喊 你都不会得到你要的改变。
You have to make that change happen through a revolution. 你要想改变 就得通过革命。
Now, please don't worry -- I promise you, here, now, today, our body count will be very low. 别担心 --我答应你,在这里,现在,今天, 我们这里的死伤人数会很低。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So, now before I get to my four-point plan for the revolution -- yes, I have a four-point plan -- 在进入我的四点革命计划之前 -- 是,我有个四点计划 --
I have two pieces of very good and important news for you. 我有两个非常好和重要的消息要告诉你
Good news number one: there are female filmmakers . 第一项好消息: 有女性电影制作人
filmmakers:n.制片人(filmmaker的复数);
(Cheers and applause) (欢呼和鼓掌)
Yes! I know! 是!我知道!
(Applause) (鼓掌)
We exist! 我们是存在的!
We actually graduate from film schools at the same rate that men do -- 50 percent. 其实我们从电影学院毕业的毕业率 是和男性相同的 --百分之五十
So here we have our 50 women. 所以这里我们有我们的五十位女士
The problem is that as soon as you get to the micro-budget film, so even the very smallest films, we're already only directing 18 percent. 问题是一旦当你进到微电影, 即使是最小型的电影, 我们女士也才执导了百分之十八
as soon as:一…就;
Then you get to slightly bigger films, indies in the $1-5 million budget range, and we go down to 12 percent. 当你去到稍微大型一点的电影时, --吸资1-5百万刀左右的电影 我们下跌到了百分之十二
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; indies:n.印度地方,西印度群岛; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
So by the time you get to the studio system, we're only directing five percent of movies. 当你来到了虚拟演播室系统时,
studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂;
Now, I know some of you out there will look at this and secretly think to yourselves, "Well, maybe women just aren't as good at directing movies." 我知道你们当中的某些人会看着这个 然后暗暗地想, “也许女性导演不那么会执导电影。”
And that's not a totally insane question. 那也不是个完全疯狂地问题。
I mean, we like to believe the film industry is a meritocracy , right? 我的意思是,我们都相信电影界是任人唯贤的地方,对吗?
meritocracy:n.英才教育(制度);精英管理的社会;
(Laughs) (笑)
(Laughter) (笑声)
But look at this trajectory . 但是请看这个,
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道;
Either you have to accept that women are actually five percent as talented as men, which I don't, or you have to accept that there are serious systemic issues preventing us from getting from here to there. 要么你必须认同 女士们的才华其实只有男士们的百分之五, 我不认同, 或者你要接受这当中有一些严重的系统问题 在阻止我们从这里去到那里。
systemic:adj.系统的;全身的;体系的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
But the good news is, we exist, and there is a vast amount of untapped potential over here. 但好消息是,我们存在, 且这里还有很多未开发的潜力。
untapped:adj.未开发的;未使用的;塞子未开的; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
Good news number two, and this is really good news: films by and about women make more money. 第二个好消息,这个真的是个非常好的消息: 女士们制作的电影都有比较大的盈利。
Yes! Yes! It's true! 是!是!这是真的!
(Cheers and applause) (欢呼声与掌声)
It's true. 是真的。
The Washington Post recently released a study showing that films that feature women make 23 cents more on every dollar than films that don't. 华盛顿邮报最近发布了一项研究 研究显示了比起其他没女主角的电影,有女性为主角的电影都在每一美金中 多赚了23分
Furthermore , my colleagues and I commissioned a study comparing 1,700 films made over the last five years and, looking at the average returns on investment -- so, how much money does that movie make -- 此外,一项我与我同事委托的研究 比较了过去五年来所制作的1700部电影 然后,看平均的投资回酬 -- 所以,那些电影到底赚了多少钱 --
Furthermore:adv.此外;而且; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); commissioned:adj.受委任的;v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的过去式和过去分词) comparing:v.比较;对比;(compare的现在分词) investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
comparing if a man or a woman filled each of the following roles: director, producer, screenwriter and lead actor. 当我们比较一个男士或女士填补了以下的角色: 导演,制作人,编剧和主角。
screenwriter:n.编剧家;电影剧本作家;
And in every single category , the return on investment is higher if it's a woman. 在每一个类别里, 投资的回酬会在由女性制作的电影里会比较高。
category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴;
Fact: women buy 51 percent of all movie tickets. 事实:在购买电影票的人当中,有百分之五十一是女性。
Films by and about women make more money. 女性制作和关于女性的电影会赚更多钱。
And of course, at least some portion of the male population does also like women -- 当然,至少有一部分的男性当中, 也喜欢女性 --
portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
(Laughter) (笑声)
so "women films" are not just for women. 所以 ”女性电影“ 不只是给女士们看的。
And yet, Hollywood only targets 18 percent of all of their films as "women films." 虽然如此,好莱坞只把所有电影中的百分之十八 对准 ”女性电影。“
So what you're left with is a giant underserved audience and untapped profit potential. 所以剩下来给你的是一大群得不到满足的观众 和未开发的盈利潜能。
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 underserved:adj.服务不周到的;服务水平低下的; profit:n.利润;利益;v.获利;有益;
So we exist, and we have stories to tell. 所以我们存在,我们有故事叙述。
We have so many stories to tell. 我们有很多故事叙述。
And despite everything we've heard: you want to see them. 尽管我们听到的一切:你想看到它们。
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
The problem is, we've got this thing -- let's call it "Hollywood" -- 但问题时,我们有这个东西 --我们为它取名 ”好莱坞“--
(Laughter) (笑声)
no, no, I'm just kidding; 不,不,我只是在开玩笑;
I've met some very nice people in Hollywood -- 我也在好莱坞里认识了很多很好的人 --
Hollywood, preventing us from getting to you. 好莱坞,正阻止我们跟你们接触。
So here is my four-point plan for the revolution, and everybody -- man or woman, in this room or anywhere in the world -- is going to get to help. 所以这是我四点的革命策略, 所有人 --男或女,在这间房间或在全世界的各个角落-- 能帮得上忙。
And this revolution is not just for women. 这革命不只是给女士。
Anyone who has been disenfranchised , anyone whose story has not been told, the same principles apply , and I really hope we can do the revolution together. 任何一个被剥夺权力的人, 任何一个故事没被叙述的人, 适用同样得原则, 我真的很希望我们可以一起进行这个革命。
disenfranchised:v.剥夺(某人)的权利(尤指选举权);(disenfranchise的过去分词和过去式) principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
My four-point plan. 我四点的计划。
Number one: watch movies. 第一点:看电影。
Isn't this a good revolution? 这不是个很好的革命吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
OK, first I want to talk to anyone who watches movies. 好,首先我要与任何一个看电影的人说。
Who watches movies in here? 这里有谁是看电影的?
Great! 很好!
Will you pledge to watch one film by a female filmmaker per month? 你们能保证一个月看一次由女性制作人制作的电影吗?
pledge:n.誓言;保证;抵押;抵押品;v.保证给予(或做);正式承诺;抵押;
That's it, just start there. Great! 就这样,就从这里开始。很好!
If you need help finding them, 如果你需要帮助去找到它们,
It's an easily searchable database of films by women. 这是一个容易查找的女性电影资料库。
searchable:adj.可被搜查的;透过搜查能找到的;
And as you start watching all movies, 然后当你开始看所有电影时,
I just want you to pay attention to the female characters. 我要你专注在女性角色上。
pay attention to:注意
How many of them are there? 有多少女性角色?
What are they wearing? 她们穿了什么?
Or not? 或者没穿?
Do they get to do cool things, or are they just there to emotionally support the men? 她们有得做很酷的事情, 还是她们的角色只是情感上支持男性角色?
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地;
I'm telling you, once you see this, you're not going to be able to unsee it. 我告诉你,只要你一看到了这些,你就无法不看它了。
And as you start noticing this, it's going to shift your viewing habits. 只要你开始注意这些事情,它便会改变你的观看习惯。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
And this already sizable market is going to continue to grow. 而这已经相当可观的市场将能继续增长。
sizable:adj.相当大的;大小相当的;
Step two: make movies. 第二步:制作电影。
So now I'm talking to all the female filmmakers out there: we need you to be very brave. 现在我在跟所有女性电影制作人说话: 我们需要你们变得非常勇敢。
It will be harder for you to make movies. 制作电影对于你来说会变得更加困难。
In fact, there will be an entire industry constantly telling you that your stories don't matter. 事实上,整个电影界会不断地告诉你 你的故事不重要。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
And we need you to make them, anyway. 而我们需要你继续制作,不管怎样。
That 18 percent in the micro-budget range -- that is on us to fix. 那在微型电影里的18% --那是我们要解决的问题。
Don't wait for permission. 不要等待别人给你许可。
Don't wait for somebody to pick you, because 95 percent says they are not going to. 不要去等别人选你, 因为95%说他们不会选上你。
Crowd fund . 众筹。
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
Write letters to eccentric relatives . 写信给怪癖的亲人。
eccentric:adj.古怪的,反常的;n.古怪的人; relatives:n.亲戚;亲属;同类事物;(relative的复数)
I know how hard it is, but you have to make your movies -- now, today, features, not shorts. 我知道这有多难, 但是你必须制作你的电影 --现在,今天,长片电影,不是短片。
There is an audience for them, and they want and need to see them. 你的电影会有它的观众,这些观众要也需要看到它们。
Three: invest in each other. 三:互相投资。
Fellow female filmmakers, I feel like we need to stop wasting so much energy on a system that does not want us. 女性电影制作同胞们,我觉得我们需要停止浪费那么多精力 在一个不需要我们的体系里。
We need to find our audience and invest in cultivating them. 我们要找我们自己的观众,投资去培养观众。
cultivating:v.培养(cultivate的现在分词);
If we can figure out how to make our movies and deliver them to the audiences that want them, that's it. 如果我们能够弄清楚如何制作我们的电影 然后把它们传递到想看它们的观众那里去, 那就可以了。
That's the whole game. 那就是我们全部要做的。
And whatever they're doing in the middle is going to cease to be quite so important. 无论他们在中间做了什么 都会渐渐地变得没那么重要了。
cease:v.(正式)停止;结束;中断;平息;n.(正式)不停地;不间断地;连续地;
Audiences, invest in us. 观众们,请投资我们。
Help us make the movies that you want to see. 帮助我们制作你们想要看的电影。
If you can give a female filmmaker 25 dollars in a crowdfunding campaign, great, do that. 如果你能在一个众筹运动中给一位女性电影制作人25美金, 很好,就那样做。
crowdfunding:n.众筹;
If you can invest more seriously and help us over that critical million-dollar hurdle , do that. 如果你能投资更多, 然后帮助我们跨过那个万元危机的栏杆, 就那样做吧。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; hurdle:n.障碍;栏;跳栏;vt.克服;vi.克服;跳过;
But invest in seeing the other half of the story. 但是就在看到另外一半得故事里投资。
other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
Four: disrupt through business. 第四:通过商业突破。
disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的;
So now I'm talking to all of the businesspeople and entrepreneurs . 所以现在我正对着所有商人和创业家 说话。
businesspeople:商人; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
This does not happen very often in the world, but right here we have a golden situation in which you can enact significant social change while also making money. 这并不常在这世上发生, 但在这里我们有一个黄金机缘 让你能制定重要的社会变化 并同时赚取盈利。
enact:vt.颁布;制定法律;扮演;发生;
Hollywood is a system ripe for disruption . 好莱坞是个适合中断的系统。
disruption:n.破坏,毁坏;分裂,瓦解;
The old models of financing and distribution are crumbling -- please come in and disrupt it. 陈旧的金融和分配模式正在崩溃 -- 请进来突破它。
distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销; crumbling:v.(使)破碎,成碎屑;坍塌;损坏;崩裂;(crumble的现在分词)
I'll give you an example. 让我给你个例子。
Right now, with some incredible women, 现在,有着一些不可思议的女士们支持,
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
I am launching the "The 51 Fund." 我正推出 ”51 基金。”
launching:n.发射;开办;起飞;v.开始从事,发起,发动;(launch的现在分词)
It's a venture capital fund that will finance films written, directed and produced by women in that critical $1-5 million range. 这是一个风险投资基金 来资助那些女性编剧,指导及制作 在 $1万- 5 万资金的电影。
venture capital:风险投资; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
We will give a significant number of female filmmakers the chance to make their movies and we will deliver them to the audiences who want them. 我们会给一笔很大的资金让女电影制作人 有机会制作她们的电影 而我们也会把这些电影送到那些有需求的观众那里去。
Good for equality, good for business. 这有利于平等,也有利于商务。
But that's only one example, we need more. 但这也只是一个例子,我们需要更多。
There is room for so many more. 还有空间能容下更多。
So I say to you: 所以我现在对你说:
Hollywood is leaving money on the table. 好莱坞就把钱留在桌子上。
Come pick it up. 快来把它取走。
(Applause) (掌声)
Now, all of this may seem like a lot, but it is actually so doable . 现在,这些可能看起来很难,但其实它是非常可行的。
doable:adj.可做的;
Entrenched systems don't change because you ask the people in charge, they change because all of the people who don't have what they want rise up and make that change happen. 根深蒂固地系统不会因为你向负责人请求而有所改变, 它们之所以会改变,是因为那些没得到自己想要的东西的人们 站起来了并改变一切。
Entrenched:adj.根深蒂固的;v.使处于牢固地位;牢固确立;(entrench的过去式和过去分词)
And don't you want to? 你不想有改变吗?
I want to see what the other 51 percent of the population has to say. 我要看看另外的百分之五十一的人口有什么要说
I want to watch movies that teach me about people who are different than I am. 我要看那些能教我关于 其他跟我不一样的人的电影。
I want to see women's bodies on film that aren't perfect. 我想在电影里看到女性的身体其实不完美
I want to give our little boys the chance to empathize with female characters so that they can become more whole men. 我要给我们的小男孩 同情女性角色的机会 这样他们就可以变得更加完整。
empathize:vt.移情;神会;
And I definitely want to give a little girl who may not have a real-life role model the chance to watch movies and see women doing everything she dreams of achieving. 而我也一定要给一位 可能没有真实的榜样的小女孩 一个机会去看电影 并看到电影里的女人们在做她渴望实现的梦想。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; real-life:adj.现实的;实在的; role model:n.榜样;崇拜对象;
This is not about making one industry better. 这不是因为要使一个行业变得更好。
This is about making a better world. 这是关于创造一个更好的世界。
Will you help? 你会帮忙吗?
The time for waiting is over. 等待的时间已经结束了。
The time for the revolution is now. 革命的时机就是现在。
(Cheers and applause) (欢呼和掌声)