|
|
NaokoIshii_2017G-_保护地球的经济案例_
|
Good evening, everyone. |
各位,晚安。 |
I am from Japan, so I'd like to start with a story about Japanese fishing villages. |
我來自日本, 我想用一個關於日本漁村的 故事來當開頭。 |
In the past, every fisherman was tempted to catch as many as fish as possible, but if everybody did that, the fish, common shared resource in the community , would disappear . |
在過去,每位漁民都想要 盡可能抓到越多魚越好, 但,如果每個人都如此, 魚,社區所共享的資源,就會消失。 |
tempted:adj.想做…的; v.引诱; (tempt的过去分词和过去式) resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
The result would be hardship and poverty for everyone. |
結果就是每個人都艱困又貧窮。 |
hardship:n.艰难;困苦;拮据; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
|
This happened in some cases, but it did not happen in other cases. |
在一些案例中有發生這樣的現象, 但在其他案例中卻沒有。 |
In these communities , the fishermen developed a kind of social contract that told each one of them to hold back a bit to prevent overfishing . |
在這些社區中, 漁民發展出了一種社會契約, 叫每一個人都稍稍退一步, 來預防過度捕撈。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) social contract:n.社会契约; hold back:n.滞留; overfishing:n.渔捞过度;vt.过度捕捞(overfish的现在分词);
|
The fisherman would keep an eye on each other. |
漁民們會監視彼此。 |
keep an eye on:v.照看;留意;密切注视;
|
There would be a penalty if you were caught cheating. |
如果你作弊被逮到,會受到處罰。 |
penalty:n.罚款,罚金;处罚;
|
But once the benefit of a social contract became clear to everyone, the incentive to cheat dramatically dropped. |
但,一旦每個人都清楚了 社會契約的益處, 作弊的動機就大幅下降了。 |
incentive:n.动机;刺激;adj.激励的;刺激的; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
|
We find the same story around the world. |
我們在全世界都能找到同樣的故事。 |
This is how villagers in medieval Europe managed pasture and forests. |
中世紀歐洲的村民就是這樣 管理牧草和森林的。 |
medieval:adj.中世纪的;原始的;仿中世纪的;老式的; pasture:n.草地;牧场;牧草;v.放牧;吃草;
|
This is how communities in Asia managed water, and this is how indigenous peoples in the Amazon managed wildlife. |
亞洲的社區就是這樣管理水的, 亞馬遜原住民就是 這樣管理野生動物的。 |
indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士;
|
These communities realized they relied on a finite , shared resource. |
這些社區了解他們要 仰賴有限的共享資源。 |
relied:v.依赖;依靠;信赖;信任;(rely的过去分词和过去式) finite:adj.有限的;限定的;n.有限之物;
|
They developed rules and practices on how to manage those resources , and they changed their behavior so that they could continue to rely on those shared resources tomorrow by not overfishing, not overgrazing , not polluting or depleting water streams today. |
對於如何管理那些資源, 他們發展出了規則和慣例, 且他們改變了他們的行為, 這樣他們明天才能 繼續仰賴那些共享資源, 他們的做法就是不要過度捕撈、 不要過度放牧、 不要污染或在今天就用盡水流。 |
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); rely:vi.依靠;信赖; overgrazing:v.过度放牧(overgraze的现在分词); depleting:v.用尽,耗尽;使减少(deplete的ing形式);
|
This is a story of the commons, and also how to avoid the so-called tragedy of the commons. |
這是個公有物的故事, 也是個關於如何避免所謂的 公有物悲劇的故事。 |
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
|
But this is also a story of an economy that was mainly local, where everybody had a very strong sense of belonging. |
但這個故事也談到一個主要為 地方性的經濟體, 在這個經濟體中, 人人都有很強的歸屬感。 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地;
|
Our economies are no longer local. |
我們的經濟體已經 不再是地方性的了。 |
economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
|
When we moved away from being local, we started to lose our connection to the commons. |
當我們遠離了地方性, 我們就開始失去和公有物的連結。 |
We carried economic objectives , goals and systems beyond the local, but we did not carry the notion of taking care of the commons. |
我們把經濟方針、目標, 以及體制帶到地方性之外, 但我們並沒有把如何照顧 公有物的想法一起帶著。 |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; objectives:n.目的(objective的复数形式);目标;宗旨; notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
|
So our oceans, forests, once very close to us as our local commons, moved very far away from us. |
所以,我們的海洋、森林, 這些曾經和我們非常靠近的公有物 遠離了我們。 |
So today, we pump millions of tons of greenhouse gases into the air, we dump plastics, fertilizers and industrial waste into the rivers and oceans, and we cut down forests that absorb CO2. |
所以,現今,我們把數百萬噸的 溫室氣體排入空氣中, 我們丟棄塑膠、肥料, 以及工業廢料, 丟入河流和海洋中, 我們砍伐吸收二氧化碳的森林。 |
pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房; dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆; fertilizers:n.[肥料]肥料(fertilizer的复数形式);化肥;底肥; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; absorb:v.吸收;使并入;吞并;同化;理解;吸收;耗费;承受;
|
We make the wild biodiversity much more fragile . |
我們讓野生生物多樣性變得更脆弱。 |
biodiversity:n.生物多样性; fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的;
|
We seem to have totally forgotten that there is such a thing as global commons: air, water, forests and biodiversity. |
我們似乎完全忘記了 所一種叫做全球公有物的東西: 空氣、水、森林、生物多樣性。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
Now, it is modern science that reminds us how vital the global commons are. |
現在,是現代科學 在提醒我們全球公有物有多麼重要。 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数) vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的;
|
In 2009, a group of scientists proposed how to assess the health of the global commons. |
2009 年,一群科學家提出 評估全球公有物之健康的方法。 |
proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式) assess:vt.评定;估价;对…征税;
|
They defined nine planetary boundaries vital to our survival , then they measured how far we could go before we cross over the tipping points or thresholds that would lead us to the irreversible or even catastrophic change. |
他們定義了對於我們生存 很關鍵的九項地球限度, 他們測量我們走了多遠 就會跨越引爆點或門檻值, 引領我們到無法逆轉或 甚至災難性的改變。 |
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; planetary:adj.行星的; boundaries:n.边界;分界线;(boundary的复数) survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) tipping:n.倾卸台;adj.倾翻的;倾卸的;v.使倾斜;轻拍;踮起脚走(tip的现在分词); thresholds:n.阈值;[建]门槛;临界值值(threshold的复数); irreversible:adj.不可逆的;不能取消的;不能翻转的; catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的;
|
This is where we were in the 1950s. |
這是我們 1950 年代時的狀況。 |
We broadly remained within safe operating space, marked by the green line. |
我們大體上都維持在 安全的運作空間中, 這空間用綠線標記。 |
broadly:adv.明显地;宽广地;概括地;露骨地;粗鄙地;
|
But look at where we are now. |
但看看我們現在的狀況。 |
We have crossed four of those boundaries, and we will be crossing others in the future. |
我們已經跨越了其中四項限度, 且未來我們還會跨越其他的。 |
How did we end up in this situation? |
我們是怎麼落到這種下場的? |
Well, my personal story may tell us something. |
我的個人故事可能 可以給我們一點資訊。 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
Five years ago, I was appointed as CEO of the GEF, Global Environment Facility , but I am not a conservationist or an environmental activist . |
五年前,我被指派為 全球環境基金(GEF)的執行長, 但我不是天然資源保護論者, 也不是環境保護激進份子。 |
appointed:adj.(时间)指定的,约定的; v.任命; (appoint的过去分词和过去式) Facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资; conservationist:n.自然资源保护论者; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子;
|
I am an economist, and for the last 30 years, |
我是經濟學家, 過去三十年來, |
I had worked for public finance in my home country and around the world. |
我在我的祖國以及全世界 做公共財政相關的工作。 |
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
|
I can tell you one thing for sure: during these 30 years, the notion of the global commons never crossed my mind. |
我可以肯定地告訴各位一件事: 在這三十年間, 我從來沒有想過 全球公有物這個概念。 |
I didn't have a single conversation about the global commons with my colleagues . |
我完全沒有和同事談過 任何關於全球公有物的事, |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
|
This tells me that the notion of the global commons was not really entering into the big money decisions like state budgets or investment plans. |
這告訴我,全球公有物的概念 並沒有真的在牽扯大錢的決策中, 比如州預算或 投資計畫中,被考量到。 |
budgets:n.[财政]预算(budget复数形式);v.为…做预算(budget的第三人称单数形式); investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
|
And I'm wondering, why do we have this sheer ignorance about the global commons, including me, myself? |
我很納悶,為什麼我們會完全忽視 全球公有物? 連我自己都不例外。 |
sheer:adj.纯; v.十足地; n.透明薄纱; v.[航海](使)偏航; (使)转向; ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂;
|
One possible explanation might be that until recently , it didn't really matter too much. |
一種可能的解釋是, 在最近之前,這都不是太要緊的事。 |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Even if we mess up some part of the environment, we were not fundamentally changing the functions of the earth system. |
即使我們亂搞某部分的環境, 基本上我們並未改變 地球系統的功能。 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺; fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
|
The global commons had still enough capacity to take the punches we gave them. |
全球公有物過去仍然 有能力承受我們的行為。 |
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; punches:v.用拳猛击(punch的第三人称单数形式); n.一拳(punch的复数);
|
In fact, the fish were still plentiful , the fields for grazing were still vast. |
事實上,魚類還很充足, 放牧的原野還很廣大。 |
plentiful:adj.丰富的;许多的;丰饶的;
|
Our mistake was to assume that the capacity of the earth for self-repair had no limits. |
我們的錯誤是去假設 地球的自我修復能力沒有極限。 |
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; self-repair:n.自行修复;
|
It does have limits. |
極限是存在的。 |
The message from the science is very clear: we humans have become an overwhelming force to determine the future living conditions on earth, and what's more, we are running out of time. |
來自科學的訊息非常清楚: 我們人類已經變成了 一股壓倒性的力量, 會決定未來地球上的居住條件, 此外,我們快要沒有時間了。 |
overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
|
If we don't act on them, we will be losing the global commons. |
如果我們不為此採取行動, 我們將會失去全球公有物。 |
It's only our generation who are able to preserve it -- preserve the commons as we know them. |
只有我們這個世代能夠保存它們── 保存我們所認識的公有物。 |
preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品;
|
Now is the time we start managing the global commons as our parents or our grandparents managed their local commons. |
該是我們開始管理 全球公有物的時候了, 就像我們的父母和祖父母管理 他們的地方性公有物一樣。 |
The first thing we need to do is to simply recognize that we do have the global commons and they are very, very important. |
我們需要做的第一件事, 就是承認我們確實有全球公有物, 且它們非常非常重要。 |
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
|
Then we need to build the stewardship of the global commons into all of our thinking, our business, our economy, our policy-making -- in all of our actions. |
接著我們得要建立對 全球公有物的管理職責, 建在所有人的思想中、 事業中、經濟中、 政策制訂中── 我們所有的行為中。 |
stewardship:n.管理工作;管事人的职位及职责; policy-making:adj.决策的;决策性质的;n.决策;
|
We need to recreate the social contract of the fishing villages on the global scale . |
我們得要重新創造出 漁村型社會契約, 擴張到全球規模版本。 |
recreate:vt.再现;再创造 scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
But what does it mean in practice ? |
但,在實際面上,這是什麼意思? |
in practice:在实践中;实际上,事实上;
|
Where to start with? |
要從何處下手? |
I see there are four key economic systems that fundamentally need to change. |
我認為,有四項關鍵的經濟系統 在根本上需要被改變。 |
First, we need to change our cities. |
第一,我們得要改變我們的城市。 |
By 2050, two thirds of our population will live in cities. |
到 2050 年時,我們的人口 會有三分之二住在城市中。 |
We need green cities. |
我們得要綠化城市。 |
Second, we need to change our energy system. |
第二,我們得要改變 我們的能源系統。 |
The world economy must sharply decarbonize , essentially in one generation. |
世界經濟必須要明確地去碳, 基本上,在一個世代就要完成。 |
sharply:adv.急剧地;锐利地; decarbonize:vt.除去碳素;脱去…的碳(等于decarburize); essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
|
Third, we need to change our production-consumption system. |
第三,我們得要改變 我們的生產—消費系統。 |
We need to break away from current take-make-waste consumption patterns. |
我們得要脫離目前的 「取用—生產—丟棄」消費模式。 |
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
|
And finally , we need to change our food system, what to eat and how to produce it. |
最後,我們得要改變 我們的食物系統, 吃什麼,以及如何生產它。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
And all of those four systems are putting enormous pressure on the global commons, and it's also very difficult to flip them. |
所有這四個系統 對全球公有物產生了很大的壓力, 且要翻轉它們是非常困難的。 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
|
They are extremely complex , with many decision-makers, actors involved . |
它們極度複雜, 涉及到許多決策者和行為者。 |
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
Let's take the example of the food system. |
我們用食物系統來當例子。 |
Food production is currently responsible for one quarter of greenhouse gas emissions . |
目前,食物生產造成了 四分之一的溫室氣體排放。 |
currently:adv.当前;一般地; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的; greenhouse gas:n.温室气体(尤指二氧化碳); emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
|
It is also a main user of the world's water resources. |
它也是世界水資源的主要使用者。 |
In fact, 70 percent of today's water is used to grow crops. |
事實上,現今有 70% 的水 都被用來種植作物。 |
Vast areas of tropical forest are used for agriculture. |
很大區域的熱帶森林被用在農業上。 |
tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的;
|
This deforestation drives extinction . |
森林砍伐造成了絕種。 |
deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐; extinction:n.绝种;
|
In fact, we are losing species 1,000 times faster than the natural rate. |
事實上,我們失去物種的速度, 比自然的速度要快上一千倍。 |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
And on top of all of that bad news, one third of food produced today globally is not eaten. |
除了那些壞消息之外, 現今全球所生產的食物, 有三分之一都沒被食用。 |
It's wasted. |
它們被浪費掉了。 |
But there is the good news, good signs. |
但,也有好消息, 好徵兆。 |
Coalitions of stakeholders are now coming together to try to transform the food system with one shared goal: how to produce enough healthy food for everyone, at the same time , to try to cut, to sharply reduce, the footprint from the food system on the global commons. |
利害關係人的聯盟 現在集結在一起, 試圖改善食物系統, 他們有一個共同目標: 如何生產出足夠 每個人吃的健康食物, 同時,還要試圖縮減、大大降低 食物系統在全球公有物上的足跡。 |
Coalitions:n.联合;结盟(coalition的复数); stakeholders:n.利益相关者;赌款保存人(stakeholder的复数); transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; footprint:n.足迹;脚印;
|
I had an opportunity to fly over the Indonesian island of Sumatra , and I saw with my own eyes the massive deforestation to make room for palm oil plantations . |
我有個機會, 飛過蘇門達臘島的印尼島嶼, 我親眼看見嚴重的森林砍伐, 為了棕櫚油騰出種植空間。 為了棕櫚油騰出種植空間。 |
Indonesian:n.印尼人;印尼语群;印度尼西亚语;adj.印尼的; Sumatra:n.[气象]苏门答腊岛(印尼西部的大岛); massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; make room for:让出地方给…,为…腾出空位; palm:n.手掌;手心;棕榈树;v.把…藏在手中(尤指玩戏法); plantations:n.[农]种植园(plantation的复数形式);
|
By the way , palm oil is included in thousands of food products we eat every day. |
順道一提,數以千計的 食物產品都含有棕櫚油, 我們每天都在吃。 |
By the way:顺便说一下;
|
The global demand for palm oil is just increasing. |
全球對於棕櫚油的需求在增加, |
In Sumatra, I met smallholder farmers who need to make a day-to-day living from growing oil palm. |
在蘇門達臘島,我會見了小佃農, 他們需要種植棕櫚樹來維生。 |
smallholder:n.小农;小佃农; day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的;
|
I met global food companies, financial institutions and local government officials. |
我會見了全球食物公司、 金融機構, 以及地方政府官員。 |
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) local government:n.地方自治;地方政府(机构);
|
All of them told me that they can't make the change by themselves, and only by working together under a kind of new contract, or a new practice, do they have a chance to protect tropical forests. |
所有人都告訴我, 他們無法靠自己造成改變, 只有透過在某種新契約或新做法之下 進行合作, 他們才有機會保護熱帶森林。 |
So it's so encouraging to see, at least for the last few years, this new coalition among these committed actors along the supply chain come together to try to transform the food system. |
很讓人振奮的是, 至少在過去幾年間, 在供應鏈上這些盡心盡力的 行為者當中,這個新聯盟 能集結在一起,試圖改善食物系統。 |
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) supply chain:n.供应链;
|
In fact, what they are trying to do is to create a new kind of social contract to manage the global commons. |
事實上,他們試著在做的事, 是創造出一種新的社會契約, 來管理全球公有物。 |
All changes start at home, at your place and at my place. |
所有的改變都始於家中, 始於你的地方和我的地方。 |
At GEF, Global Environment Facility, we have now a new strategy , and we put the global commons at its center. |
在全球環境基金(GEF), 我們現在有一項新策略, 我們把全球公有物 放在策略的中心位置。 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
|
I hope we won't be the only ones. |
我希望不會只有我們在做。 |
If everybody stays on the sidelines , waiting for others to step in, the global commons will continue to deteriorate , and everybody will be much worse off. |
如果每個人都待在界線邊, 等其他人踏入界線內, 那麼全球公有物將會持續惡化, 每個人都會過得更糟許多。 |
on the sidelines:当旁观者,不直接参加; deteriorate:vi.恶化,变坏;vt.恶化;
|
We need to save ourselves from the tragedy of the commons. |
我們得要拯救我們自己, 不要讓公有物悲劇發生。 |
So, I invite all of you to embrace the global commons. |
所以,我邀請在座所有人, 擁抱全球公有物。 |
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
|
Please do remember that global commons do exist and are waiting for your stewardship. |
請切記,全球公有物確實存在, 它們正在等著你們來管理。 |
We all share one planet in common. |
地球是我們所共有的。 |
We breathe the same air, we drink the same water, we depend on the same oceans, forests, and biodiversity. |
我們呼吸相同的空氣, 我們喝相同的水, 我們依賴同樣的海洋、 森林,以及生物多樣性。 |
There is no space left on earth for egoism . |
地球上已經沒有容納 自我主義的空間了。 |
egoism:n.利己主义,自我主义;
|
The global commons must be kept within their safe operating space, and we can only do it together. |
全球公有物必須要被保留在 它們的安全運作空間中, 我們只有同心協力才能辦得到。 |
Thank you so much. |
非常謝謝。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |